opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 01. Stinkfist
User Name
Password
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
over stimulation

This is my interpretation of the song, i'm very open to criticism about any of my ideas on it.

I think this song touches on a very prominent and pressing issue of our time. It is told from 2 perspectives, separated by the vocal processing on maynards voice. the first is the voice of stimulation. The second voice which is a skeptic of over-stimulation, almost angrily criticizing it. you can think of the first as the devil on the left shoulder, and the second as the angle on the right.
"Something has to change. Undeniable dilemma."

We live in a world where we are constantly surrounded by stimulation, whether it be from advertising, our technology, or what have you, we are always taking in a lot of information. and we crave it.

"Constant over stimulation numbs me but I would not want you any other way."

we like seeing the funny videos of cats, because it kills time at points when we'd otherwise be doing nothing (like riding the bus) which would bore us. But the more we stimulation we get the more we want, and the more it takes to cure our boredom. and yet it doesn't really solve anything, it just distracts us from thinking deeper, which inevitability will lead to a hole within us that we need to fill, an urge left unsatisfied. This is when the second voice comes in.

"It's not enough. I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy."

But this stimulation is so ingrained into our being that we are dependent on it. rightfully so because with 0 stimulation we would more or less not exist at all.

"I don't want it. I just need it. To breathe, To feel, to know I'm alive."

This is where the infamous vaginal metaphor comes in. this feeling of pleasure stimulation gives us is described by a finger in a vagina. that stimulation that causes pleasure is okay, but too much can lead to you wanting more, which allows it to guide you (in this case by the hand) and influence you. The first voice returns here.

"Finger deep within the borderline.... Relax, turn around and take my hand."

Stimulation distracts us from a necessary thing in life, pain. When your exhausted after a long day at work and you are riding the bus home, do you want something that makes you feel a little pleasure, or do you want less stimulation which forces you to create that pleasure within yourself. in making the choice of stimulation you are willingly continuing the cycle of over-stimulation.

"I can help you change Tired moments into pleasure. Say the word and we'll be Well upon our way."

The way you eliminate the cycle of over stimulation is through meditation. finding balance and being mindful allows you to see past whether you feel pleasure of pain in that moment, because you know the other will come again eventually. This allows you to not need, or want stimulation to find peace.

"Blend and balance, Pain and comfort Deep within you, Till you will not want me any other way."

Chorus returns, but this time when it reaches the vaginal metaphor its at the knuckle. the finger felt good, so more was added, which felt even better, but now the finger doesn't do the trick. so even more is added which causes some pain, but that's again dulled eventually by the stimulation, so much that you lose yourself to it.

"Knuckle deep inside the borderline. This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to. Relax. Slip away."

now the second voice returns with its overall observation of the problem. that its frankly sad that in the age of information, looked into the bright light so much that now blinded to the small, subtle beauties of life (like a flower, or just the vastness of your own mind) that can give us more pleasure than the overstimulating one (your cell phone).
"Something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be. Desensitized to everything.What became of subtlety?"

But when this plead is made to the over stimulated, he doesn't understand. he cant comprehend that something that doesn't stimulate him could bring him pleasure, or be meaningful; let alone the lack of stimulation (also known as meditation) itself could bring him pleasure.

"How can it mean anything to me If I really don't feel anything at all?"

So as a result he's stuck in this perpetual cycle of chasing pleasure, stimulation, feeling. not realizing that he will never truly find it with his digging.

"I'll keep digging Till I feel something."

Then more fisting. yay!

"Elbow deep inside the borderline. Show me that you love me and that we belong together. Shoulder deep within the borderline. Relax. Turn around and take my hand."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: over stimulation

i feel this. i have bad anxiety and can get overwhelmed very easily. i like to curl up, put my headphones on, and just like float inside of tool/any music really, tool is just really good for this. i dont think of anything else i just like let the music consume me. i think thats part of what this song is about. you have to let go of everything to feel anything.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: