opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Arts & Crafts
User Name
Password
Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
New Painting

You can't see the detail. Need to take more pics closer to the painting.

Enjoy...

Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282
Re: New Painting

You did that? That's amazing. Wow.

Good job to you sir. You have done an outstanding job with what you have created.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #3

Yes, that is my work...
Old 07-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement
Suicide Booth ID: 5

Bincount™: 9166

time, concious, space, life; these are the voyages of the star ship enterprise
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

wow, beautiful. Very Alex Grey inspired i see.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy33 View Post
wow, beautiful. Very Alex Grey inspired i see.
LOL! Alex Grey Carbon Copy.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
On Probation

Bincount™: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
A phoned in copy...
Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape_Dispenser View Post
A phoned in copy...
hahahaha
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

BTW man, could you explain the meaning of all those symbols you used, and why you used them in the positions you used them, or is it just eye candy to look spiritual?

Sorry to be a dickhead about it, but seriously, the whole "spirituality bandwagon" pisses me the fuk off. People like Alex Grey are artists, who are heavily into the occult and spiritual studies. They arent just jumping on the "spiritual looking art" bandwagon. It shits me when people just wana get money/recognition by pretending to be spiritual, when the fact of the matter is, they only dabble in it and really have no indepth knowledge on the subject. Oh look, lets paint geometrical repeating shapes, in an infinity pattern, throw a few OCCULT symbols in that i googled etc etc. Might as well draw some mechanical design of the inner workings of a cars engine, with fancy numbers, mathematical symbols and complex intricate mechanical parts, and publish that as a design.

Last edited by Akasha; 07-07-2007 at 09:55 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

haha..yea man, i agree. i was just tryin to be nice to the guy.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

you guys are assholes
Old 07-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

we're not trying to insult the guy..its just obvious he 'borrowed' his ideas from Alex Grey.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:40 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

so what, every artist is inspired and expanded from something. he used his inspiration from music and art and shared it with the community and all he gets is a bunch of negativity.he should be pushed to new bounds so his art becomes something entirely new, everyone has his own jumping point and spark that ignites a flame.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:41 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

yes, i know but...people could stand to be a little more original theses days.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 AM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1600

show us some of your creations then
Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

People need to be able to take negative criticism positively. If everyone comes on here, saying WOW, AMAZING, THATS AWESOME, and noone points at the weak points, most people will just latch onto what everyone seems to be saying is good, and never get anywhere. This guy has painting skills, did I say ANYTHING about him not having skils? NO. All i said was that this is a BLATENT COPY, there is a difference between inspiration and copying. Being inspired in a certain directions, does not mean you need to copy. And the other ting that annoys me, is how popular "spirituality" is nowadays, i am 95% sure this guy has no clue as to the meanings of those symbols, and no reason to have them in the painting other than to look "spiritual". Its wanting to look spiritual, just because you like the image, no different to the emo movement etc. All I want, is for people to CREATE, be inspired, yes, but dont fuken copy peoples work.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

It's obvious that you worked hard on it and it looks very nice.
But,With that painting you don't need to wear that TOOL T-Shirt,it's obvious that you're a fan.

LOL.

P.S. Alex Gray want's to sue you're ass :)

Last edited by TEST; 07-09-2007 at 09:10 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
People need to be able to take negative criticism positively. If everyone comes on here, saying WOW, AMAZING, THATS AWESOME, and noone points at the weak points, most people will just latch onto what everyone seems to be saying is good, and never get anywhere. This guy has painting skills, did I say ANYTHING about him not having skils? NO. All i said was that this is a BLATENT COPY, there is a difference between inspiration and copying. Being inspired in a certain directions, does not mean you need to copy. And the other ting that annoys me, is how popular "spirituality" is nowadays, i am 95% sure this guy has no clue as to the meanings of those symbols, and no reason to have them in the painting other than to look "spiritual". Its wanting to look spiritual, just because you like the image, no different to the emo movement etc. All I want, is for people to CREATE, be inspired, yes, but dont fuken copy peoples work.
i agree.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST View Post
It's obvious that you worked hard on it and it looks very nice.
But,With that painting you don't need to wear that TOOL T-Shirt,it's obvious that you're a fan.

LOL.

P.S. Alex Gray want's to sue you're ass :)

haha..i wonder if alex would sue someone.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
show us some of your creations then

im only giving good criticism. dont defend him because you dont understand how hes using someone else's ideas.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #21

Wow, people actually care about it enough to leave a comment. I wasn't expecting to get any replies to this post.

Wow the only Artists name mentioned here is Alex Grey. Very interesting. I mean anyone who has eyes in their Artwork is of course 'copying' him. As for carbon copy, maybe people should discover what carbon copy actually means before making an artificial accusation. The only inspiration from Alex Grey and yes there is some (Damn I am committing suicide by saying that) is the 'idea' of a border and that wasn't until the main image was completed. As for the other 98% of the Art Alex Grey was no where in my mind when the conception and assimilation of ideas began. It is a totally selfish Art work. Self/family portrait if you will. As for the 'spiritual' word people are attaching to it, no it isn't spiritual at all, besides one VERY small part which can not even be seen in the photograph.

Yes I have seen a bit of Alex's work and think that it is great, it is other Artists though that pose the greatest influence on my work.

The majority of you just place me in the Alex Grey box (which is quite a compliment I might add) because he must the only other Art work you look at. Oh also because there is a spiral. A sin of an idea that one was.

As for the shirt I am wearing (can you believe people actually take note of that?) I apologise for not going through my wardrobe to find something more suitable to your taste. It was the damn shirt I was wearing all day. Next time I will make sure I change it for you. However I will also make sure there is no eyes in that Art work because hey, that is Alex Grey's copyright.

As for the few who 'defend' what you see, thank you. Your kind words are appreciated.

I don't need to justify how much I may or may not know about a couple of symbols in the Art to someone on Toolnavy. I understand their significance to myself, my family and the Artwork. The Artwork perfectly represent what I wanted it to. If you see something else in there, great! If you see a copy of Alex Grey then that is what you see. I can't help that at all. If you like it that is good, if you don't that is fine, and not a feather in my cap is ruffled in the slightest. The bottom line is that the Artwork is a very personal image which represent everything significant to my wife, son, family, those close to me and myself. If you don't like that then you are the one that has to deal with it.

Let the negative/positive comments roll in...

Dare I say it...

HAPPY TRAILS!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #22
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

i agree with every post in this thread
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Your Painting:

http://www.spiralysis.com/ARTandIMAG.../Painting3.jpg

Is a splice and slightly edited version of:

http://images.jambase.com/features/s...on/honest1.jpg

and

http://aura.zaadz.com/photos/9/81965/large/Promise.jpg

You added 1/3 of a planet to the bottom, and some rows of little spiritual symbols.

Sorry to have to come across like such a dickhead, but im not a fan of rehashed art. You have artistic skills, but you dont seem to have that creative edge that seperates the men form the boys. All im saying, is work on that, im trying to help you man, im not just having a go, If you can take full control of your imagination and creativity, and fuse it with your skills, you will make some awesome ORIGINAL stuff, that clearly says this is MY STYLE.

Last edited by Akasha; 07-10-2007 at 01:59 AM..
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

ok guys come on.... mellow. lol. and whoever painted this the spiral eyes thing is pretty much alex's trademark. im not saying you copied him directly im just saying.

maybe you could explain the thought process and concepts you had when painting this. that may help us all understand how you came up with what looks like an alex grey painting (im not having a go, personally i dont care if you copied one of his paintings directly, as long as you didnt sell it or present it as your own of course.)

be well

chris
x
Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Your Painting:

and

You added 1/3 of a planet to the bottom, and some rows of little spiritual symbols.

Sorry to have to come across like such a dickhead, but im not a fan of rehashed art. You have artistic skills, but you dont seem to have that creative edge that seperates the men form the boys. All im saying, is work on that, im trying to help you man, im not just having a go, If you can take full control of your imagination and creativity, and fuse it with your skills, you will make some awesome ORIGINAL stuff, that clearly says this is MY STYLE.
stylistically it's completely different. The similarities are in the subject matter.

are you an artist? just wondering.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
yes, i know but...people could stand to be a little more original theses days.
Hmm..I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a a drawing you posted somewhere that didn't appear too original either... A little hypocritical? I think so.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoling13 View Post
Hmm..I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a a drawing you posted somewhere that didn't appear too original either... A little hypocritical? I think so.
at least i can take criticism, can you?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Your Painting:

and

go to his website and see all the other ideas he's stolen and contorted.
www.spiralysis.com
Old 07-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #29
Level 9 - Obstreperous

sure is.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Ive been to his website, and there is a lot of stuff that SEEMS very original. But the fact I see SO FUKING MANY alex grey RIP-OFFS, makes me think that maybe all his others are also just rip-offs from artists im not aware of.

@liam:The style of painting technique is different, becaase to be honest this guy doesnt have the intricacy skills alex does, its a lot more "basic and shaded" than "fine-line detail". IE: Someone without the intense detail skills of alex, ripping off his art. Now hel prly argue that this is his "style" but to be honest, if he could do fine-line detail like alex's, he prly would be. I am not an artist in the painter sense of the word, altho I honestly feel i could take this guys work on (i might actually give it a go and post something up, remembering, I DONT PAINT, im not a painter/drawer etc etc). I am a musical artist, and my experience in visual arts extends to graphic design and photography. One thing I do have, is an artists eye, attention to detail and a no compromise attitude towards un-creative, rehashed art, in ALL its forms. That to me, is why the world is lacking "legend status" artists right now in most areas, people are losing touch with their creativity, and are just rehashing from the past or form the verrrrry few around today that are pushing the bounderies.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Ya know...There is a diference beetween "inspired by" and "Rip-off"...

Think about that.

Example:
Tool are inspired by Led Zeppelin,but Counterfist are Tool rip-offs
...I think that this is a good example...LOL XD
Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Ive been to his website, and there is a lot of stuff that SEEMS very original. But the fact I see SO FUKING MANY alex grey RIP-OFFS, makes me think that maybe all his others are also just rip-offs from artists im not aware of.

@liam:The style of painting technique is different, becaase to be honest this guy doesnt have the intricacy skills alex does, its a lot more "basic and shaded" than "fine-line detail". IE: Someone without the intense detail skills of alex, ripping off his art. Now hel prly argue that this is his "style" but to be honest, if he could do fine-line detail like alex's, he prly would be. I am not an artist in the painter sense of the word, altho I honestly feel i could take this guys work on (i might actually give it a go and post something up, remembering, I DONT PAINT, im not a painter/drawer etc etc). I am a musical artist, and my experience in visual arts extends to graphic design and photography. One thing I do have, is an artists eye, attention to detail and a no compromise attitude towards un-creative, rehashed art, in ALL its forms. That to me, is why the world is lacking "legend status" artists right now in most areas, people are losing touch with their creativity, and are just rehashing from the past or form the verrrrry few around today that are pushing the bounderies.

took the words right outta my mouth.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST View Post
Ya know...There is a diference beetween "inspired by" and "Rip-off"...

Think about that.

Example:
Tool are inspired by Led Zeppelin,but Counterfist are Tool rip-offs
...I think that this is a good example...LOL XD

yea, i just recently heard counterfist for the 1st time...and at 1st i thought it was some weird tool song...but yea, rip-offs.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha

took the words right outta my mouth.
i doubt it. we all know you don't have enough to spare.

Last edited by Resolution; 07-14-2007 at 08:38 AM..
Old 07-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
we're not trying to insult the guy..its just obvious he 'borrowed' his ideas from Alex Grey.
straight up...
Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
Wow, people actually care about it enough to leave a comment. I wasn't expecting to get any replies to this post.

Wow the only Artists name mentioned here is Alex Grey. Very interesting. I mean anyone who has eyes in their Artwork is of course 'copying' him. As for carbon copy, maybe people should discover what carbon copy actually means before making an artificial accusation. The only inspiration from Alex Grey and yes there is some (Damn I am committing suicide by saying that) is the 'idea' of a border and that wasn't until the main image was completed. As for the other 98% of the Art Alex Grey was no where in my mind when the conception and assimilation of ideas began. It is a totally selfish Art work. Self/family portrait if you will. As for the 'spiritual' word people are attaching to it, no it isn't spiritual at all, besides one VERY small part which can not even be seen in the photograph.

Yes I have seen a bit of Alex's work and think that it is great, it is other Artists though that pose the greatest influence on my work.

The majority of you just place me in the Alex Grey box (which is quite a compliment I might add) because he must the only other Art work you look at. Oh also because there is a spiral. A sin of an idea that one was.

As for the shirt I am wearing (can you believe people actually take note of that?) I apologise for not going through my wardrobe to find something more suitable to your taste. It was the damn shirt I was wearing all day. Next time I will make sure I change it for you. However I will also make sure there is no eyes in that Art work because hey, that is Alex Grey's copyright.

As for the few who 'defend' what you see, thank you. Your kind words are appreciated.

I don't need to justify how much I may or may not know about a couple of symbols in the Art to someone on Toolnavy. I understand their significance to myself, my family and the Artwork. The Artwork perfectly represent what I wanted it to. If you see something else in there, great! If you see a copy of Alex Grey then that is what you see. I can't help that at all. If you like it that is good, if you don't that is fine, and not a feather in my cap is ruffled in the slightest. The bottom line is that the Artwork is a very personal image which represent everything significant to my wife, son, family, those close to me and myself. If you don't like that then you are the one that has to deal with it.

Let the negative/positive comments roll in...

Dare I say it...

HAPPY TRAILS!!!
just to put my 2 cents in (fuck it, why not?)...dude theres no way youre even close to "the Alex Grey box". but i respect your art. its nice to look at and probably has an interesting story behind it. one last thing you cant say you didnt get inspiration from "dying". if you decline you are lying.

Last edited by WhereIsBongolia?; 07-14-2007 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

love it man!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 59

lol. thief.

and it's not even good.

that's from one artist to another.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #39

haha, i hate to keep this thread going, but still.. i feel bad for cacaphony at this point. It's obvious he's got a lot of talent. It's just a shame he doesn't exploit it to create something where his influences aren't quite as discernible. Alex Grey has influenced a lot of painters, but not all of them are creating works where the average joe can look at it and instantly confuse it for an original Alex Grey idea.

Anyway, cacophony. Ignore what the haters are saying either way. You do what makes you happy. If this is it, then more power to you. Besides, I'm sure half the people checking out your work, namely myself, couldn't replicate it if they had a lifetime.

http://myspace.com/dilationband
Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution9 View Post
Besides, I'm sure half the people checking out your work, namely myself, couldn't replicate it if they had a lifetime.
haha, i could. easily.

NOT TO SOUND POMPOUS . but yes, i could.

=)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: