opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 04-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
2006/04/30 - Indio, CA - Coachella Festival

Tool's first show since November 2002!

SETLIST --

01. Stinkfist
02. The Pot
03. Forty-six & 2
04. Jambi
05. Schism
06. Eon Blue Apocalypse
07. The Patient
08. Sober
09. Lateralus
10. Vicarious
11. Ænema

[NOTE: Setlist was SMSed to me by Kabir and tooldvn. --Chris_Brightwell]

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 22
Re: 2006/04/30 - Indio, CA - Coachella Festival

Just got back from the show, it was so amazing. They sounded so good. I think my only complaints would be massive attack fucking sucking and not being able to get really up there close to the stage because of the VIP's.

Maynard said something about rock paper scissors that I didn't understand and I don't think anyone around me did either. Anyone catch it?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

the rock paper scissors thing was a joke. He said "we're going to paper, scissors, Rock you."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Holy shit. Such a great show. I was able to get right down in front. After the first three songs, the chaos of pushing and shoving died down. I got a bunch of pictures and a few videos with my digital camera. I posted the only decent pictures below (hard to keep a camera still when you're packed in that tight). Unfortunately the audio on the videos distorts past the point of recognition when it gets heavier, but there are a few salvagable parts that I'll post tomorrow once I get some sleep. For now, enjoy the pictures.

GREAT FUCKING SHOW

http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/coachella/01.jpg
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/coachella/02.jpg
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/coachella/03.jpg
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/coachella/04.jpg
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/coachella/05.jpg
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/coachella/06.jpg
Old 05-01-2006, 03:08 AM   #5
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 13

Maynard seemed much more colloquial than last time. He came out on stage in a cowboy hat and made some comments like "is everyone ready to rock" and some other smalltalk. Then he whipped off his shirt, and took off his cowboy hat, revealing a cool mowhawk underneath.

There were four small screens behind the band, with two large screens on the side. The effects/displays were exactly the same as the Lateralus tour - songs with music videos have the videos playing, other songs have various new/different looping animations in the background. They did not play the Vicarious music video when they played Vicarious, I was dissapointed.

Kabir called the three songs they were going to play live, and I expected the same - The Pot, Jambi, and Vicarious. Hopefully we see some others at other shows.

There were almost three endings to the show - after they played Lateralus, it had the big finale like during the last tour, but we all knew Vicarious was coming... it still seemed like an ending. After Vicarious, we expected the show to be over, but Maynard made some comment about LA and VIP passes, then launched right into "Hey hey hey hey" - everyone went fucking wild.

Stinkfist was the short version, and The Patient was sorta extended (the intro was stretched out some, I think there was another part that was sorta stretched) but don't think any music was added. Everything else was as heard on the albums.

Just before Sober played, it sounded like they might launch into Rosetta Stoned - there was some heavy distortion and a hanging note... I was dissapointed.

Almost noone in the crowd knew the new material, and it seemed over half didn't even know The Patient by the way they stood around. People rocked out to Vicarious, but didn't know what to do when The Pot and Jambi played.

I don't know how much else there is to say... it was a fantastic performance, as usual, but it really felt just like a show from the Lateralus tour, with two new songs. Maybe they'll switch some stuff up for the small venue shows or arenas - I'll let you know on Thursday ;)

Here are some shots of Tool on stage:

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9...ture6016kk.jpg
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/1...ture6020ii.jpg
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3...ture6217or.jpg
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/7...cture621mx.jpg
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4...ture6318rj.jpg

Here's us trying to get out after the show :(

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/6...ture6726oo.jpg

Last edited by Andorion; 05-01-2006 at 03:47 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:09 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

By the way.... was anyone else really nervous that they were going to stop playing The Pot when everyone started singing along? Those breaks between phrases at the beginning seemed so long, and I was sure Maynard was just going to stop.

I did like his comment though, "I know all you fuckers already downloaded the album."
Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 AM   #7
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116

man, coachella is such a great time. too bad i JUST got home at 444am.

i'll post a fuller review later, but i would like to tide you over with a few observations...

- maynard did in fact speak a lot more than usual tonight. clearly excited to have a (basically) hometown show after 3.5 years of no playing live. welcome us all with by calling us hippies and saying he could smell the patchouli.

- jambi. man that song shreds live.

- hilarious when maynard (after 'the pot' i think) made a comment about how he knew that 'all you fuckers already downloaded it', and went on to beseech the crowd to buy it on monday. a LOT of people near me (towards the front) knew 'the pot' and 'jambi' well enough.

- some rust did show. justin blew a note or two on the intro to 'schism'; adam changed up some things, including playing some feedbacky hum through the middle quiet part of 'sober', and maynard managed to rearrange the lines of the first chorus in 'sober' and forget to come back in for the later chorus of 'the patient' ... but it was still a great show.

- lots of disappointed moshers tonight. the midsection of the set ("jambi, schism, eon, patient") was intense yet mellow (no really), and a lot of the angry folks in the crowd backed down and didn't ramp up again until "ænema". even during "sober" the crowd was sort of mild.

- other thoughts on the day - massive attack was really great. lots of people standing around through massive attack unfortunately (for both parties) were tool fans, and these were the kind of tool fans who clearly wouldn't be into massive attack. it's a tough transition for a crowd to go from having a really mellow trip hop outfit to 20 minutes later tool taking the stage. ah well. but by far the best band i saw play tonight was actually digable planets. wow. we had thought it would be fun to check them out for old times' sake, but wow.

- all new visuals, for the most part. at long last, they actually played the entire videos through the respective songs, instead of just a loop of, say, five seconds from 'stinkfist' flipped around back and forth for the whole song.

- back to their old lineup, adam on the left, mjk in the back left, danny in the back right, and justin on the right.

- perhaps the biggest applause of the night was when they wheeled out danny's kit.

- "jambi" - the whole middle chunk was adam on a talkbox!!!

- final score:
opiate, 0 songs.
undertow, 1 song.
ænima, 3 songs.
lateralus, 4 songs.
10,000 days, 3 songs.

- technically, this was the 2nd of two consecutive tool shows for me (the last was tool's last show in 2002). and somehow, it appears this was my 20th tool show. yikes. i'm getting old.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:04 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

They seemed slightly looser than they have in the past. Maynard came out and immediately said, "Good Evening Hippes! I smell patchouli." This set was definitely direct and to the point. Solid songs without much noodling in between.
There was a lot of smiling and laughing between the band members duting the set. Maybe not a lot, but more than I have seen before. I also saw Maynard making faces at Camella as she snapped pics of Adam on the talkbox during Jambi.

Danny was on his game. They all were, but he was doing some shit tonight that I have rarely seen from him.

Also, it seemed like most people were happy to hear The Pot. Maynard didn't seem to terribly upset about the leak. He called us fuckers.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 05:48 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

Maynard said hes destitute, and needs the cash from album sales to buy a popcorn shaped gold ring, so when he punches people, it leaves a popcorn imprint on their face.

Pretty fucking hilarious ... but the quote of the night didn't come from tool ...

... instead, from a security guard arriving to the area a bit late, and commenting on the restless insanity of the crowd before had even arrived:

Guard 1: "Look at all this knuckleheads. What band is coming up next anyways?"
Guard 2: "Tool"
Guard 1: "...Oh shit."
Old 05-01-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

maynard definitely talked more like the pre-lateralus tours. the talk box was awesome...justin on jambi was amazing and of course danny tore shit up. it did sound like they were about to start LK/rosetta stoned, but then went into sober. that was the only disappointment of the night. it was a great show though.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

For the drummers:

It looked like one of the older Sonor kits. The brown one with the really thick shells. He had new heads on the kicks, but I couldn't tell if the were solid or screens like he usually plays.

Also, he's messing around with the remote hats between his top two toms again. It looks pretty cool and a lot more comfortable. He had the purple pads and the wave drum to the right and the handsonic--or whatever it is--on the left along with a good sized lcd screen right about where his old hihats would have been. I couldn't see what was on it, but it looked bigger than a laptop. Maybe a mixer or an eq or something.

I saw Scott Kinsey open for VOLTO and he dragged a whole G5 tower and Cinema display on stage with him. I don't know.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

I agree with kabir in that they seemd a little rusty, but they still "paper, scissors, rocked" the show. I wasn't too close to the stage, and most of the people in the back seemed to be the first-timers who were not all that familiar with Tool's songs. But that didn't stop me from being immersed in the show.

"Jambi" was the shit live, but I think that "The Pot" was my favorite of the new live songs. It just sounded the best live out of the three. But overall, it was definitely worth the money to see their first show in a while.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 271

I agree there was some rust but I thought that really gave the show a better feel. These guys are human too (although sometimes it may not seem like it).

The talkbox on Jambi was so intense. Definitely one of my favorites live. All in all, I think the show was badass. I am sure that they will be doing a more intracate stage setup for the small venue tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

What the fuck are you guys saying? The motive when the band came into Sober was the best.. don`t know why you`re so dissapointed, it`s a lot greater song than Rosseta Stoned.
I don`t remember anything... I was too drunk.
The worst thing in the whole gig was that many people didn`t even know what the hell TOOL is.

Oh, I Forgot. I`ve got a lot of pictures in a good quality... maybe I`ll post `em here, but don`t know where is the usb cable to plug in a pc my camera.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
Suicide Booth ID: 18

Bincount™: 536

That was absolutely fucking incredible! I was right infront of Adam and it was quite the clusterfuck of people. When I jumped i'd seriously move around without even touching the ground, i'd just be sandwiched inbetween some people.

I got some pretty good pics on a disposable camera, so i'll put them up once I get it developed.

Did I mention there were shit loads of people?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

This is the review I posted over at TA about the show. I also added 4 more pictures that I ripped off the video clips I got. I'd post the video, but the rules said I would be banned, so that's a no go.

Just got back from Coachella, and I have to hand it to them, Tool really did kick ass. For not performing live for 3 and a half years, these guys still got it down. Setlist was as follows:

01. Stinkfist
02. The Pot
03. Forty-six & 2
04. Jambi
05. Schism
06. Eon Blue Apocalypse
07. The Patient
08. Sober
09. Lateralus
10. Vicarious
11. Ænema

All the songs came across quite well. The new material sounds great live, by the way, and it all makes so much more sense when it's heard in that way. Both Jambi and The Pot were phenomenal with the full live effect, and the climax of Vicarious was breathtaking.

On the downside, Adam seemed to be having some tuning problems in Schism and Lateralus. Not sure what happened here, but overall it didn't detract too much from the overall performance.

The last three songs in the set were selected perfectly. It seemed as though it was going to be over after each of them, making it easier to take when they finally had to leave the stage. The new set and layout for this tour was a little less than I had hoped for, however. It is similar to the Lateralus tour setup, only now all four of the guys are in a straight line. It still goes (from left to right) Adam, Maynard, Danny, Justin, but now each of them have their own individual screen behind them with projections. Definitely cool, I guess I was just hoping for more of a change.

Most of the guys look the same except for Maynard. He sported a cowboy hat for almost all of the show. The one time he took it off, he revealed the Maynard Mohawk we haven't seen for so long. It was a bit of a shock to see that initially, but so cool.

Overall: Fantastic Show - 9/10

Link with a few more pictures:
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/coachella
Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I was up front last night and was totally pissed off by the people screaming "TOOL!" between Massive Attack's songs. I yelled "be patient" a couple times to refute that, but it still makes me mad.

There were also assholes in jumpsuits who hung glowsticks from themselves and wore masks. They pushed themselves up near the front and eventually began throwing the glowsticks. MJK gathered them throughout the show and hung them on his belt.

In any case, this set list was definitely heavy on the singles (I noticed other major bands at the festival usually did the same thing) but quite enjoyable. Like others have said, "Jambi" live was great.

My favorite quote of the night? "Get out your calculators" -MJK before the heavy part of "Lateralus" kicked in.

Patrick.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
man, coachella is such a great time. too bad i JUST got home at 444am. [...]
Nice review Kabir. Not much to add. This was my first time seeing Tool and I was not disappointed. Also, for a band whose fans seem to get such a bad rap, I thought everyone was pretty cool given the size of the crowd and the occasion. At least the fans around me were cool anyway. There was one girl complaining during Massive Attack for them to "hurry up!". I said 'shut up' at one point, but I guess she did not hear it.

Quick note- to the guy bashing Massive Attack, are you out of your mind?? They were great! It's a tough gig to go on before Tool as it is. But I thought they delivered in spades. If you don't know their material, or were just uppity to see Tool, that's one thing. But they 'sucked'? No.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #19
NAD
Level 3 - Talker

I thought Massive Attack and Mogwai were great, never heard either band before. Anyhow, Tool were awesome. I think that was my 8th Tool show? The first was in some small rundown place in San Berdo in 1994. The intimacy of those days is long gone, but the intensity remains very much intact, and is perhaps better these days. Vicarious and Lateralus were the highlights for me, and other than that new one, I heard the others for the first time at this show which was very fun. Looking forward to hearing the album itself tomorrow.

Thankfully getting out of the parking lot wasn't nearly as hard as getting in, but it was still a 2 hour drive home. I'm tired.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69

That was a great show. Great sound, great playing. It sounded to me like Adam was trying alot of new sounds on the older songs. and Maynard was definitely changing his voice up a bit. I thought the visuals were kind of lame except for the videos. If this is their stage setup for the north american tour later this year, I will be very, very dissapointed.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

First Tool show ever, and damn, was I impressed. I was so overwhelmed by actually seeing them live that my eyes started to water as they performed from Stinkfist up until Schism, mouthing the lyrics and bobbing my head to the beat along with everyone else around me. I had never seen Maynard live before, but I was half expecting him to come out with full body paint or fake tits on. I too was surprised at how much he was "chatting", I'd never heard of him being very... "social" at the shows.

I thought it was funny that nearly every Tool fan within earshot was practically booing Massive Attack to get off the stage so Tool could perform. One quote went like this:

Tool fan: "Fuck this shit, bring out Tool!"
Massive Attack fan: "Fuck you!"

One thing I didn't like about the show were all of the thrashers. I really don't see the point of moshing, but I could be alone. I understand you are excited, but that doesnt mean you need to try and knock the people around you down. I was towards the left side of the stage, maybe 30 feet from the stage. (If you saw the guy in the arm cast crowd surfing before it started, and saw where he kind of fell into the crowd a bit, that was right where we were.) When the show started, the herd immediately pushed with all their force forward, knocked one of my female friends down, and started a moshpit. My girlfriend and the friend that got knocked down left that part of the crowd at that time, and I just moved back about 20 more feet, where the crowd was a bit more interested in the performance. I wasn't able to really get any decent pictures; I was too far away for flash to be useful, and too close for no flash to work. I did get video segments recorded though, so I could remember the setlist later on.

I'm so happy, I can now say I've seen all of my top bands live: A Perfect Circle, Dredg, The Mars Volta, Nine Inch Nails, and now Tool.

@NAD:
I found getting out of the parking lot a lot tougher than getting in, but that could be because I arrived at about 1pm. Not sure about you. Took about an hour or so to get to the freeway, wouldn't you say? Our hotel room was in Redlands, we didn't get back there until about 3am. But it was definately worth it.

@BlairLicksTaint:
I also noticed a few new sounds on the older songs, didn't Danny add some sounds to The Patient? Some kind of bell or something.

Last edited by CaliKevin; 05-01-2006 at 01:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Amazing show
agree with kabir, crowd was a little lackluster at times.
it also seemed like the crowd was singing louder than maynard during stinkfist.

Sidenote: got pulled over on the way there, long story short the cop that pulled me over said he pulled over maynard on his way to coachella.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #23
NAD
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKevin
. I too was surprised at how much he was "chatting", I'd never heard of him being very... "social" at the shows.
Before Lateralus he talked a lot, at least at the shows I went to. That's half the fun of a Tool show for me, Maynard is one funny dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKevin
@NAD:
I found getting out of the parking lot a lot tougher than getting in, but that could be because I arrived at about 1pm. Not sure about you. Took about an hour or so to get to the freeway, wouldn't you say? Our hotel room was in Redlands, we didn't get back there until about 3am. But it was definately worth it.
We got off the freeway at 2:30pm but didn't park until about 4pm, but getting out only took maybe 20 minutes to get to the 10. There were a lot of cars left in the parking lot when we got out there though, just got lucky I suppose. We must've been toward the front of the cattle herd getting out, haha.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Ahh yes, you arrived at a later time than me, and we were fairly close the exit, in Lot 3. You must have either been right at the exit to Lot 3, or really deep into the next lot over.

Yea, Maynard is a funny dude. I loved the golden popcorn bit, and the "I know all you fuckers downloaded the CD" comment. "Paper, scissors, rock" was comedy gold. "I wrote that one."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

My first time seeing Tool. Second time attending Coachella.
Coachella was amazing overall.... Tool was a fabulous way to end the festival.

I was in the wayyyy back, by the time Tool came on I was already beaten by the grueling day. While it may not be as intense watching Tool from such a long distance, it was still very awesome.

I just wish I could have heard Prison Sex, 10k days, and reflection! Forty Six and Two was probably my favorite. Overall amazing performance. Took a couple small clips and some pictures.. may post later.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...o23/Coachella/

Last edited by zoomster; 05-01-2006 at 01:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBalzary
it also seemed like the crowd was singing louder than maynard during stinkfist..
They (we) were, I recorded the entire performance of Stinkfist on my phone, and its incredibly hard to hear Maynard clearly for most of the time.

First time seeing them live, and despite the "lackluster" crowd, I was amazed at the sheer power behind all of us singing along and pumping our arms together during all of the big finale sequences.

@Paradigm619 - Yeah, the way he abruptly stopped singing the opening to The Pot sort of had me going "Oh shit" since quite a few people around me (I was about 35-40 feet off to the left-center of the stage) started singing along.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19
COACHELLA!!!

Holy fuck Coachella was an awesome set, finally TOOL performed after all these years.

They played on the main stage-the Coachella stage-with 2 enormous screens to the left and right of the set, with the addition of 4 screens behind the band. There were near 40,000 people anxiously awaiting the glory of TOOL, and they played well.

Quote:
Hello Hippies!
This was the first thing Maynard said when he appeared on stage, classic.

This was the setlist (the order might be wrong):

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Schism
Sober
Vicarious
Lateralus
Aenema

Post pictures if you took any, and discuss any other Coachella follies here.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

I suspect I'm on an island here but did ANYBODY else notice how bad the sound mix was???? All of Danny's brass was mixed WAAAAY over the top. Everytime he hit a cymbal it just washed everything else out. It sounded like compressed steam being fired into your ears. I oftentimes during the songs couldn't hear Adam's guitar over this. Seriously, majorly fucking loud and not in a good way at all. Worst live drums I've ever heard. It was pretty disappointing. And oddly, Massive Attack's mix sounded PERFECT. I was sure there was a problem until it just never changed from song to song. Oh well. Perhaps I'm just getting too old.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

It was a great show. I won't go over the set list agin as it has already been posted. The band sounded very tight overall with few hiccups. Great, great show.

I tried to get some footage on my digital "camera" so its not the best, but not bad either. Here is the end of Jambi, from pretty far back. Enjoy.

http://media.putfile.com/Jambi-Coachella-06
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

i flew in from denver to go to the show. ive essentially been up since 3am on sunday when my trip began. i just got home to boulder. it is 5:49pm right now. I have pretty much been up for almost 48 hours (too braindead now to do the math)... it was worth every penny i paid. it was the first tool show ive been too. it was SOOO good. i was 3 people behind the front bar so rediculoulsy close to the stage. probably the best concert ive been too.

yeah yeah yeah's surprised me i liked them a lot. their singer was pretty cool IMO
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #31
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Ok, so what do you guys think of this setlist? I think for the the rest of tour we might get a longer set becauase they will have longer time to play, and probably they will throw some more 10,000 Days songs in once the album is officially out over here. What do you guys think?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
Ok, so what do you guys think of this setlist?
It was alright, I wanted them to play Opiate though.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

I think it's pretty good overall. They played all their "popular" songs: their singles and such.

It would have been cool to see a lot of other stuff, but you can't have everything. Right in Two, Wings/10k Days, The Grudge, Pushit, and Third Eye would have all been amazing, but I think it's pretty good th way it is.

I agree, however, that the setlist will be longer for the other mini-tour shows. They were kind of limited on time, and you will probably get around 15 songs instead of 11.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

awesome show. thought it sounded great. some minor fuckups but whatever. fun show

seeing daft punk was a trip to. man people out there ate that shit up. probably the best light show with triangles I've ever seen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

I was at the front!

Yeah, Coachella 2006.
Everyone was wondering what Maynard's stage performance was like.
Well, he appeared on stage with a cowboy hat, shirtless, and sporting some levi's.
He was much more verbose than usual and greeted the crowd by calling us all "hippies". He made a lot of jokes about the album leaking, said he wants us all to buy it so he can get some ring? I dunno...

At the end of the show Danny, Adam, and Justin approached the front of the stage and with the field lights on, gave a good wave to all of us. Maynard was still kinda in the shadows, kinda pissed me off. Well that might be some insight into what lies in the future for those of you who plan on seeing tool on this new tour. Oh yeah, the visuals were still awesome as usual!
If anyone finds out who's opening for Tool (if anyone) be sure to post it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Excellent show...

I was basically 15 feet from the stage (about 3-4 people back from the front rail) during massive attack. It was a clusterfuck during that time and Massive Attack was putting me to sleep (its not that they were boring, but after 2 days of nothing but heat and over $100 bucks in beer a day, any music would put me out). As soon as Massive Attack said "goodnight", me and my lady were forced up. I got really angry and began to put my feet ahead of me and hold as many back as possible. I did alright, until some dude began to REALLY push me. My lady felt suficated and I had to get her out. She damn nearly passed out as I was dragging her through the crowd. No one wanted to move as I said "SHES PASSING OUT!! MOVE!!", so I began to throw elbows and believe I nailed a couple of women...oh well...get the fuck out of my way next time.

That was that, we went and got some water and headed back toward the stage and ended up directly in front of the right screen about 100 ft. back...and it was much better than being smashed in the crowd.

Other than Tool puting on an EXCELLENT show, the rest of the festival was great. Sigur Ros, Atmosphere, Paul Oakenfold, My Morning Jacket, Sleater Kinney, and DAFT PUNK were among my favorites (I didnt catch too many acts, due to getting drunk in the beer garden all day long). The festival was fun...and I hope they do it again.

Oh, I forgot...fuck all the Madonna fans.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

paul oakenfold was fun... lol @ that girl who flashed
daft punk was amazing
wolf parade also was great
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #38
Level 2 - Poster

Mogwai blew my mind last night. I saw them in the Mojave tent with Ash in 2004 and that was a great show. Last night, though they were completely over the top. I was seriously concerned that my eardrums might burst before Tool came on, and I loved it.

Tool came on after a predictable half hour delay, complete with all the rigging drama you would expect from their first show in years. I wasn't crazy about the setlist (mostly the shorter "user-friendly" songs). Closing with Aenima was brilliant, though. It really fit the crowd perfectly. I was hoping to hear Third Eye live again, oh well.

I agree they were rusty, with the exception to me being Justin. Even though he didn't quite catch the arpeggios right at the beginning of Schism I thought he was fucking brilliant. Watching he and Danny is a treat. They are hands down the best rhythm section in rock music today.

As Adam broke into the talk box during Jambi, I regretted hearing the album leak. I thought with envy of someone at the show who was hearing that for the first time. Jambi live is a completely different animal than the leak, and the Meshuggar influence comes through much stronger.

I attend Coachella every year, and this year was one of the best (even though most of my crew were absent this year and I only did Sunday.) I have never seen it as crowded as yesterday. We parked out past lot G, and as we walked in we had to cut through the stables.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: I was at the front!

the ring is supposed to be a solid gold popcorn bowl... for when you roll up on him and try to take his picture, and he socks you in the face, it feels like a bowl of popcorn.

'Get out your calculators....'

'we're gonna scissors-paper-rock you'

w

pretty great show

3 10k traks i think

a bunch of standards

nothing off opiate

it was really good... vicarious really knocked everyone out...

met justin in VIP was a wonderful evening

fjoiv
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I don't have time for a full review right now, I JUST got back to Baton Rouge from California. Coachella was a lot of fun, but it was a very tiring, almost grueling weekend for me... trying to see as many acts as possible. On Sunday around 4 I staked out a spot on the front rail of the main stage, out by the speakers, and stayed there for over 8 hours until TOOL finished around 12:30. After they finished I had to go pack up my stuff and drive to the airport to catch a flight back. With a couple of transfers and lengthy layovers, it has been one hell of a day. All worth it, though, for my 23rd TOOL show.

Anyway, just a few comments for now...

TOOL seemed like they were really laid back and just having fun with this show. There were some mistakes... Maynard with a few lyrics, Justin and Adam with a missed note here and there, Danny... well... actually I didn't really catch any on his part, but if he made them I'm sure he could cover it up pretty easily.

A few Maynardisms...

1) "Welcome to our first show in many years. We wanted to take it down a notch, keep it all small and intimite, invite a few friends. Welcome...
But you, dude. You need to put your fucking clothes back on. You're bumming me out. Got lost on the way to Burning Man."

2) "New album comes out tomorrow at midnight. I know you fuckers all downloaded it already. Do me a favor. I'm trying to buy this gold nugget shaped like a piece of popcorn, for a ring. So I need you to buy a bunch of records so I can afford that. Big ole gold nugget. Like four of 'em. Then when I hit you in the face for taking my photo, it'll look like someone hit you with a bowl of popcorn. Help me out, will ya? I'm destitute." This was just before Jambi... Fitting considering the lyrics at the beginning of this song...

3) "Hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Hope you all got a chance to go in the VIP tent. Of course you all did, right? It's fucking L.A. Everybody's a fucking VIP. Can I get a witness?"

Random non-TOOL comment: Brad Wilk from Audioslave was there and wandering around the festival both days. I managed to meet him briefly when I was up close watching Sigur Ros. Anyway... moving on...

They re-used many video clips previously seen on the Lateralus tour, but they had them mixed in with some new ones. One that stands out in memory was a closeup of a face that looked like it was sort of made of raw hamburger meat, for lack of a better way to describe it.

I can't speak for the rest of the crowd, but NO ONE in my immediate area noticed or responded when Justin walked onstage at the beginning of the show. From my viewpoint, he was the first one to come out. He just strolled out, smiling, walked over to his bass and put it on. Even then, I didn't hear any response from the crowd. But anyway, TOOL didn't use any kind of intro or lead-in or anything, which just added to the "casual" feel of this show.

Also, all the TOOL fans that were chanting "TOOL" during Massive Attack's set, and making comments about how they should hurry up and get off the stage and whatnot, REALLY pissed me off. You don't have to LIKE them, but at least have some fucking respect. It just reminded me of EVERY SINGLE headlining show I've been to, where people will bitch and moan about the opening act.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Several people have already posted most of the things that I would have said. It was a good show... lots of fun, but now I'm REALLY looking forward to my 3 mini-tour dates.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 05-02-2006 at 08:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: