Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Seven Deep's Avatar Seven Deep
10-11-2004, 07:19 PM

on the heels of the "Lack of new music" thread....
I just went on an 8 hour bender in the lab......and have what I think is my favourite work so far. It's breaks with a heavy tribal feel......I'm not sure if that string section is staying in, but I'm very happy with this nonetheless...

enjoy
Old 10-11-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2924
The Friday Continuum

on the heels of the "Lack of new music" thread....
I just went on an 8 hour bender in the lab......and have what I think is my favourite work so far. It's breaks with a heavy tribal feel......I'm not sure if that string section is staying in, but I'm very happy with this nonetheless...

enjoy
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
10-14-2004, 05:38 PM

I listened to this a few days ago, but wanted to give it a few more listens to get a feel for it. I'm not huge on electronic music so I find it tough to know what's good and bad, but this, I like.

It's obvious you know what you're doing here, the levels are awesome. The more I listen, the more I notice how much is going on. It all works well together though.

I have one question: did you record yourself clapping? (one of the samples sounds very much like a clap).

Good work, really well done.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318
Re: The Friday Continuum

I listened to this a few days ago, but wanted to give it a few more listens to get a feel for it. I'm not huge on electronic music so I find it tough to know what's good and bad, but this, I like.

It's obvious you know what you're doing here, the levels are awesome. The more I listen, the more I notice how much is going on. It all works well together though.

I have one question: did you record yourself clapping? (one of the samples sounds very much like a clap).

Good work, really well done.
10-14-2004, 08:53 PM

The sound you're hearing is just a sequenced track of an old R8 drum machine clap with a timed delay put on it to give it some depth. I'm suprised you noticed that......I actually meant to bury that a little further down in the mix or thin it out, so it would sound a little more implied, but I think I just forgot to move the faders after I got all the arrangement done. I worried that it would appear kind of cheesy behind all the other sounds, which are kind of thick or staccato and sinister, but I kind of like it now. I worried the most about the string arrangement....enough that I did the first mix without them. From the perspective of DJs looking to peak their set, I didn't know whether that kind of mood would fly, but I've gotten pretty good feedback about it so far.

Most of the drum sounds are from vintage machines, which in their base form sound like something you'd hear in old electro track from 1983 (think Electric Avenue or Atomic Dog) but I did alot of work to spruce them up a bit. I almost have as much fun in the sound creation stage of songwriting as I do in the arrangement. You get to plot out all these weird sounds you have in your head, and come up with countless others by having happy accidents, then figure out just how the hell you're going to organize all the chaos. Then you just hope you can project that same enjoyment you're getting out of it to the people on the floor or in front of the stereo.
Good times though.

thanks for listening by the way.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 10-14-2004 at 09:03 PM..
Old 10-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2924
Re: The Friday Continuum

The sound you're hearing is just a sequenced track of an old R8 drum machine clap with a timed delay put on it to give it some depth. I'm suprised you noticed that......I actually meant to bury that a little further down in the mix or thin it out, so it would sound a little more implied, but I think I just forgot to move the faders after I got all the arrangement done. I worried that it would appear kind of cheesy behind all the other sounds, which are kind of thick or staccato and sinister, but I kind of like it now. I worried the most about the string arrangement....enough that I did the first mix without them. From the perspective of DJs looking to peak their set, I didn't know whether that kind of mood would fly, but I've gotten pretty good feedback about it so far.

Most of the drum sounds are from vintage machines, which in their base form sound like something you'd hear in old electro track from 1983 (think Electric Avenue or Atomic Dog) but I did alot of work to spruce them up a bit. I almost have as much fun in the sound creation stage of songwriting as I do in the arrangement. You get to plot out all these weird sounds you have in your head, and come up with countless others by having happy accidents, then figure out just how the hell you're going to organize all the chaos. Then you just hope you can project that same enjoyment you're getting out of it to the people on the floor or in front of the stereo.
Good times though.

thanks for listening by the way.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 10-14-2004 at 09:03 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply