opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/09 - Donington Park, UK - Download Festival

SETLIST --

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Sober
Schism
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-09-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 4396
Re: 2006/06/09 - Donnington Park, UK - Download Festival

LK
RS
POT
JAMBI
STINKFIST
SOBER
46+2
SCHISM
LATERALUS
VIACRIOUS
AENAMEA

**I don't remember perfectly well*

The band were amazing.. no mistakes!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

Last edited by toocooltool; 06-09-2006 at 05:10 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Setlist:

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist (extended)
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Sober
Schism (extended)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Band were on top form, Maynard displayed distain towards dreadlocked members of the audience who were pissing on the floor and walking in it bare footed. Does maynard think he is a Cockrell?
Chris and James

Last edited by Arctic Monk; 06-10-2006 at 07:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Monk
Stinkfist (extended)
that was fecking grand!!! I have just got in from a 3hr drive from Donington and I have gotta say.. Stinkfist made my night! they only played for the 1hr 40min, I want my extra 20 minutes when I see them at Hammersmith. didn't play Parabola... fuck them fucking planes, and tits throwing bottles.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
curious george

Bincount™: 6546

Fucking amazing, I think the highlight was Lateralus. The extended version of Schism was amazing too, though. I'll post some photos later. Cant wait to see them on Tuesday.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

An almost flawless performance as you'd expect. The band seemed to enjoy it too with Maynard in a jovial mood - I half expected him to start doing "the Crouch" at some point!!! (Soccer fans in the UK will know what I mean by that)

The only disappointment was the length of the setlist. They only actually performed for 1 hr 15 mins which is some way short of the 2 hours you'd expect from a headlining act. I suppose the band would ask why should festival-goers see more than anyone else, but this seemed like the shortest set they've played all tour. Oh well, maybe I'll see The Patient & Right in Two at Paris on the 28th?

The setlist posted by Arctic Monk is the correct one, BTW.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

It was strange that they didn't play for 2 hours because they were scheduled on the lineup times to do just that. I think they cut at least one song from the setlist (right in two?) because I saw two officials talking about it at the side and they were gesturing as though they'd cut a certain song and had two songs left, (though they then played three) - who knows, maybe it had something to do with the ridiculous delay in getting them onstage in the first place...
Old 06-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie
planes? and people bottled tool? explain...
Donington Park is right next to an airport, which meant low flying planes kept appearing over the stage - I don't say fuck them, I thought it added to the experience - them playing Schism when suddenly a massive flying maching flies above your head...

As for the bottles, I thought that was when they were setting up rather than performing...I didn't really notice any bottle throwing during the actual show.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
curious george

Quote:
Donington Park is right next to an airport, which meant low flying planes kept appearing over the stage - I don't say fuck them, I thought it added to the experience - them playing Schism when suddenly a massive flying maching flies above your head...

As for the bottles, I thought that was when they were setting up rather than performing...I didn't really notice any bottle throwing during the actual show.
The bottles were thrown amongst the crowed, not at the band. And yeah, the planes did add to the whole experience I thought. You can hardly hear them over the music anyway. There was always a big cheer whenever one passed over us :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Fantastic visual set from the band, with only one noticeable mistake (can't remember when, but a drop into a heavy section seemed to be a beat late). The low-flying planes were a great atmosphere generator. Loved the way TooL just brought a whole stage with them for visual effect! Nice to hear a cheer when Carey's drum kit came out too.

Shame people shouted for an encore and chanted to get the band out. Feel like TooL demand the kind of respect not to have fans hurry them. The mosh was distracting a few times, but even though I was so close to the front I had some room to move. Had a couple of people singing the wrong words out of tune in my ear too, which was distracting. Other than that, a good (and interactive) crowd.

Stinkfist went down a bomb (as is expected). "Praying for tidal waves" and "take my hand" were particularly moving parts.

Shame they didn't play more, but I was quite content. Should make Weds more special, when we see them at Hammersmith Apollo.

Maynard: "The moon is up."

Fellow fan after the show: "Good luck Metallica - no way you can top that. Let's just go home." (The festival is three days long).
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xethmir
Shame people shouted for an encore and chanted to get the band out. Feel like TooL demand the kind of respect not to have fans hurry them.
Hurry them? They were nearly half an hour late getting to the stage, and it seemed to be due to a fault in the lighting (that annoying guy who was checking was pissing me off, I know he was just doing his job, but I wanted Tool) - the band were probably back stage sitting around doing nothing but waiting... I wouldn't say the crowd was hurring them...hurrying them with what?

Saying that, I have no complaints - I love the band and they played really well - just a shame it wasn't darker so we could enjoy the visuals more, when they first came onstage, there weren't visible at all.

What I was very glad to see was Maynard. No longer does he seem like he feels the need to stay in the shadows. He stuck to his platform mostly, but was visible throughout the show and even ventured to other parts of the stage.

Last edited by Arctic Monk; 06-10-2006 at 10:55 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 11

"speaking of Download... we had a new album out recently..."

Lost Keys should be removed from the above set-list.. Justin's bass-tech played a load of random notes, then Justin walked out (in an Enland football top... sick) and they launched straight in to Rosetta.

AWESOME SHOW.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 02:08 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

"Who here isn't wearing any shoes?..... You know a load of people pissed in that area."

"Speaking of DOWNLOAD... we had a new album out recently... some of you hippies may have bought it"

maynard: Who are you to wave you finger?
crowd: you must have been out your head!
maynard: *pause* you must have been out you head!
(made me laugh, caught everyone out)

Yes that is a relevant number, work it out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:02 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

About the hurrying... I feel that a distinction needs to be drawn between the replication of sounds on a stage (could have just played the CD), and a true live artistic manipulation/sharing of feeling/emotion (only achievable by TooL, of course).

The latter can only be achieved by the band members and crowd being in a 'good place' at the time of the performance (no hostility, and the stage set up as per plan). I'd personally much rather the band was 30 minutes late (I've waited many years to see TooL already!) than have any of that manipulation of emotion being lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBIDA
maynard: *pause* you must have been out you head!
(made me laugh, caught everyone out)
Haha yeah, couldn't tell whether he was playing with us or telling us off!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xethmir
About the hurrying... I feel that a distinction needs to be drawn between the replication of sounds on a stage (could have just played the CD), and a true live artistic manipulation/sharing of feeling/emotion (only achievable by TooL, of course).

The latter can only be achieved by the band members and crowd being in a 'good place' at the time of the performance (no hostility, and the stage set up as per plan). I'd personally much rather the band was 30 minutes late (I've waited many years to see TooL already!) than have any of that manipulation of emotion being lost.
To be honest, the reason I was getting annoyed was because I feared they would cut the set short because of the delay, which would lead to your mentioned manipulation of emotion. The set was cut short from what I could tell - but whether they ever planned to play longer than they did is something we're never likely to know. Like I said in a post above though, it seems that they did cut at least one song from the set - my guesses being that it was Right in Two.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:26 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Not at all. when any person got on the shoulders of another they became a target, so everyone started hurtling bottles.. then plastic bottle war started. To be honest it was no where near as bad as Metallica at download 2 years back. it was a rainbow of plastic bottles then.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

You guys went to download and didn't stay for alice in chains? tut tut
A lot of these bands see what's on the surface. Like they listen to our albums at F***ing parties or something, when we make music that you need to properly digest by being alone with the album. And all they hear is the aggressive side of things and don't stop to realize that the aggression is there for a reason, not just to make music to smoke to or whatever.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #18
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie
You guys went to download and didn't stay for alice in chains? tut tut
I did (just got back as I didn't want to wait for a bloated Axl Rose) and I can tell you, they were shit. They were all too drunk (according to the bar man who served em at least) and they simply played badly.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Who saw Suns of the Tundra and Dredg? They both played really well, and i never knew the drummer for Dredg plays keyboard while playing drums, amazing. Suns played You Lied, they certainly deserved a longer set.
I also saw deftones but I didn't really enjoy it, was also really disappointed when Chino said "I'm gonna bring out one of my friends" (expecting it to be Maynard for a rendition of Passenger), but out comes Max from Soulfly!

OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:22 AM   #20
Rav

Quote:
Who saw Suns of the Tundra and Dredg? They both played really well, and i never knew the drummer for Dredg plays keyboard while playing drums, amazing. Suns played You Lied, they certainly deserved a longer set.
I also saw deftones but I didn't really enjoy it, was also really disappointed when Chino said "I'm gonna bring out one of my friends" (expecting it to be Maynard for a rendition of Passenger), but out comes Max from Soulfly!
I saw Sons of the Tundra, they were damn good. You Lied was frankly rather awesome. Did you sense any bitterness about Justin though?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I was very impressed by Dredg, especially the drummer - his continuing to play whilst they were taking the stage apart was fun to watch.

I was so excited during Deftones when Chino announced a guest, just like you. I thought that Passenger was very much needed (though I did enjoy Deftones, I must admit).
Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav
I saw Sons of the Tundra, they were damn good. You Lied was frankly rather awesome. Did you sense any bitterness about Justin though?
I'm not sure, you'd think that he would have got over it by now, especially after seeing what tool have become. The text on the peach website doesn't seem bitter, seems like they still meet up every now and then. He might have just acted slightly bitter because that's what people expect.

OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #23
Rav

Saturday was pretty cool too, did you all see Korn performing without Jonathon Davis?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #24
curious george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav
Saturday was pretty cool too, did you all see Korn performing without Jonathon Davis?
I was only there Friday for TOOL and Deftones. Who replaces Jonathon Davis?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #25
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy
I was only there Friday for TOOL and Deftones. Who replaces Jonathon Davis?
He was taken seriously ill in hospital and couldn't make it. So basically they asked all the other vocalists to join in. The singer from 10 Years (whose set I caught and they were awful) came out first and did a poor job. Then they had M Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold, Benji from Skindred, Dez Farria from DevilDriver, Corey Taylor and finally Matt Heafy from Trivium.

Corey Taylor was by far the best of the lot.

Ps. Foamy whereabouts were you for Tool's set?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav
Ps. Foamy whereabouts were you for Tool's set?
I'd like to know where everyone was, just to know who I was near. I was almost right at the front, the 'T' barrier was two people to my right and it started to curve a couple of people infront of me.

OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 224

I got there late on Friday, saw about 3 quarters of the TOOL show, not the best TOOL experience. This was my third time seeing them, and they were great, but the overall experience wasn't there for me... I was dissapointed that Jonathon Davis wasn't there for Korn, but all the other singers did a great job. Metallica surprised the hell out of me, great show, great energy, and they played mainly old school shit. It was a weekend worth getting filthy and completely sunburnt and exhausted. Oh and for those who were there camping... TIMMY!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #28
Bex
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I was so excited during Deftones when Chino announced a guest, just like you. I thought that Passenger was very much needed (though I did enjoy Deftones, I must admit).

Unfortunately I was suffering from severe sunstroke all weekend, so I was sat around exhausted most of the day feeling sorry for myself, but when Chino said that.. I swear, I have never jumped up faster in my life!! shame it wasn't what I wanted it to be, since that bloody hurt!!

I managed to make it pretty far forward for Tool though... even if I had every limb encased in plaster, I would still find a way to see Tool! and of course I loved ever minute of it... even though I had to go a bit further back later and sit on the ground, since I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach :(

Still... they sounded fantastic, the set was great if a little short (although I'm thankful given the circumstances!), I liked seeing all the visuals again... Tool are back!! yay!!

Back home early now feeling like shite and ready to recover for Tuesday in London, but Tool certainly cheered up my crispy red little self... and hopefully I should have some decent pictures up here when I get my camera developed.. including some of Adam doing his talkbox thing, since there don't seem to be ANY of those around!

the campers who shouted Timmy were RUBBISH!!! All hail the drunken megaphone man in the Blue campsite!

I also thought the planes coming in/taking off over the campsite were ace, by the way..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy
The bottles were thrown amongst the crowed, not at the band. And yeah, the planes did add to the whole experience I thought. You can hardly hear them over the music anyway. There was always a big cheer whenever one passed over us :D
Bottles and planes - Yeah, They were great
As for tits, theyre were a few of them on the side screens during setup - thanks ladies we'll always remember!!

Tool were the fuckin shit. They totally rocked way better than anyone else. Me I arrived Friday stayed Saturday (Opeth & Metallica were pretty awesome).

But a big fuck you to Axl and the boys cause I got me a ticket for Tool at Glasgow Carling Academy on Sunday - Yeah

Too all the guys in the red campsite - TIMMY
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 01:30 AM   #30
Moz
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL were awesome! A bit annoyed at the set length like everyone else, but they played brilliantly...except...did anyone notice a little cock-up during Jambi? When they came out of the guitar solo (into the bit leading up to the 'Shine on forever...' bit), Adam and Justin seemed to go out of time with each other, and Danny ended up counting on the hi-hat to bring it all back together. Apart from that, awesome show, Metallica, Alice In Chains and Guns N' Roses all rocked as well! And Guns took to the stage on time!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 03:04 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I was very impressed by Dredg, especially the drummer - his continuing to play whilst they were taking the stage apart was fun to watch.
Dredg were the first band I saw, they were also the highlight of my weekend. The drummer was amazing, playing keyboard and drums at the same time! Shame the set was so short :-(
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Quote:
I'd like to know where everyone was, just to know who I was near. I was almost right at the front, the 'T' barrier was two people to my right and it started to curve a couple of people infront of me.
I think I was right behind you, man... stage-left, a few rows from the front barrier to the left of the central channel leading to the soundbooth. Because I'm really funny I yelled out "It's a hoax" when they mentioned the new album. I was there for Deftones too. Made my weekend, even if I did get horribly sunburnt so it now looks like I spent the weekend with my face in a nuclear reactor. Peely-peely.

During Lateralus, some blonde-haired hippy kid dipshit rocked up behind me and kept trying to shove past me for most of the song while talking incessantly to his friend which really pissed me off. I'm cool with people shoving past to get to the front, but when you're three rows from the front it's just fucking rude to start shoving people out of the way, especially when there's nowhere for you to go. So if you're reading this, be glad I was too moshed out to elbow you in the face like I was contemplating.

But yeah, Tool rocked. I'm having a bit of a hard time getting my head around the idea that I've actually seen Tool live, lame as that sounds. I remember before they started staring at Danny's kit thinking "So I'm actually looking at Danny Carey's ACTUAL drumkit that's actually about 15 meters away from me and I'm about to actually see them play live." Wierdness. Not as wierd as Maynard's little Quagmire-esq head-bopping dance. I think I was maybe slightly delirious from the heat, but I kept imagining his girating head on a variety of cartoon insects.

I noticed the hitch in Jambi, but I wasn't sure since they seemed to recover so well I thought maybe I'd just forgotten which bit of the song they were at. The up-tempo section in the middle of Schism was amazing, and I quite liked the way the lights spotlit the mosh pit for the choruses of Vicarious. Sly :P

I'm done rambling, I'm gonna go stick my face in the freezer. Funny how it was boiling hot and stonedry all weekend, and then this morning, at exactly the time I was packing up to leave, we get a full on thunderstorm with monsoon rain.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

Fuck Semp, you're in manchester?? Yeh, monsoon indeed. Are you going to london too?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

i thought tool were amazing, little dissapointed by the shortness of the set, but as we so commonly say in england "mustn't grumble" other hightlights for me were alice in chains who were brilliant, strapping young lad and the prodigy. all in all it was a great festival with a really good vibe, glad everyone else seemed to enjoy it too. shame some dicks ruined it with some sort of riots last night that i saw on the news... thankfully i didnt camp!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobcam
Fuck Semp, you're in manchester?? Yeh, monsoon indeed. Are you going to london too?
Nah, too far away and I didn't get tickets. I'm hoping they'll swing back round at some point and come through Manchester and I'll catch them then.

As far as the riots go, I was a little pussy and went to bed around 2am. I'm a vet of sorts of Leeds festival and usually I spend the whole night racing around taking snaps of the rioting and fires and generally spectating the disproportionate and poorly concieved security response (aside from last year when I got cuffed within 30 minutes for filming security putting out a fire, beginning a nightlong odessey of wierdness and brutal abuse of power which is just one tale from a whole story of rampant pigfuckery that has lead to the security firm being fired and the Leeds liscence extended into Monday morning to give people something better to do on the last night), but my friends decamped from Download early and I wound up camping alone that night and I feared for the safety of my tent. Also the fires and such were fairly tame by Leeds standards and I figured it was just the same at all festivals. Is this not the case? Was this a new thing for Download?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #36
Level 2 - Poster

i have only camped at donnington once, when it was ozzfest and i know then that you were not allowed fires of any sort then, so i dont know if this is what started it. i think they may be a little strickter at donnington as its an actual venue rather than just a some spare farmland as in reading and glastonbury. im all for people enjoying themselves in there own way, however with the case of donnington i think any sort of activity like this no matter how tame jepordises the festival going ahead next year.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #37
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

I was there the whole weekend. Tool were fucking amazing, it was my first time seeing them live and it totally blew me away. All of them were on top form, the sound was so fucking heavy my chest cavity felt as if it was going to implode with Justin's every note!! They totally drowned out the planes it was immense. I was grinning constantly, couldn't believe I was actually seeing them live!! It was immense. Bring on Tuesday!!

As for the rest of the weekend, Alice in Chains were amazing, totally emotional experience with William Duvall doing a fantastic job on vocals. Dredg were damn cool too - that drummer kicks ass. Metallica did a great show, Opeth were pretty cool too. I didn't see too many bands as a lot of them aren't my thing really but I had an awesome weekend. I was quite near the front on the left hand side.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #38

Not long got back from Download myself. It was an amazing weekend, the first festival that I've actually camped at.

Tool were amazing. Sober and Lateralus were the songs that really hit me emotionally. Was expecting them to play the whole time. They come on late and finish early. I was front row right for most of their set. Got a load of pictures but not uploaded them yet.

Yes, Dredg were amazing. 25 minute set only though. I think the drummer managed to get through at LEAST one drum stick per minute of their set. I think I counted 6+ sticks in just one song.

As great as these two were, Metallica REALLY stole the show. They came on late due to the problems with KoRn. Didn't complain about it and played to nearly midnight. Didn't play a single St. Anger song and played the entirety of Master Of Puppets. Also Enter Sandman, One, Nothing Else Matters, The Unforgiven, Fuel and plenty of other crowd favourites. Incredible set and something I'll remember forever.
And sorry is unheard
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

After something like 10 years I finally was able to see them at Donington - WOW. Like others have said what a bummer the set was so short, but oh well... it rocked so hard. At the end I caught one of Danny's drumsticks, I was in total heaven - that one's going to get framed and placed on the wall for sure!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!.......they came on performing rosetta stoned and finished with Ænema, i waited 5 years for it and it was worth every second and every day

timrad your a lucky bastard lol

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: