opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 09. Flood
User Name
Password
Old 01-23-2004, 12:50 PM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: The Intro

Someone teach me more about this site. l don't know what things mean.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:48 AM   #42
Level 2 - Poster

My opinion of the lengthy intro would kind of be a way to test the listener. When I play Tool in my truck with my siblings and alot of my friends they say stuff like "Skip this song" or "What is taking so long?" Same goes with Eulogy and LAMC etc etc. Not that the band knows who fast forwards or anything like that but maybe it is just a proving point to see if we are getting the messages they are trying to send and not just going through the motions, so to speak.

I enjoy length in a song. It just builds up and makes it more spectacular.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:36 PM   #43
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I think that the into to Flood is the building up to the flood. To me it seems sorta like the storm rolling in and then it starts, lightly but then gets more intense. Also to me the drum parts seem like lightning and thunder. After the storm goes on for awhile it gets kicked into full gear, the song getting into the core parts, vocals and such. The lyrics also really add to this for me, call me what you will for putting this much metaphor into a song, but that is why I love the song so much. That and the beginning vocals really give a sense of being slowly drowned, that or surfacing from a pool of water.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Hey, that's actually a pretty good thought on why the first 4 and a half minutes of Flood is just instrumentals. l like that interpretation. Because you're right...it takes a while of rain and stuff before it floods. Cool. l never thought of it in that way before. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #45

=) You are quite welcome. I am glad that you can understand what I mean, because I tend to think in pictures and visuals. It's the artist in me but it is always comforting to know that someone else gets it from my description.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:58 PM   #46
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well it's a cool thought, whether that's the reason for it or not.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:07 AM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 11

When i first got Undertow i loved all the songs except for Flood for the longest time... And then once when i just had the album going in the background all of a sudden it just caught my ear and hooked me.I was doing work of some kind and out of nowhere i hear 'i was wrong...this changes everything'. I shot up off of the bed like 'wtf! I swear i never heard this song before!' I had to rewind and start it over.
Now it's in my top 3 on that album. At first i used to forward through the intro, because i just couldn't wait to get to the rest, but now that i've calmed down a bit, i always listen to the entire thing... it's almost like meditiation, with that 'here comes the waaaaaater' section.
And i -love- when the bassline comes in right around 4 minutes and some change...just an awesome song.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:48 AM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

Sometimes l have to fast foward through the intro, depending on where l am, and how much time l have...but usually l'll listen to the whole song. This is my second favorite song on the CD, next to Undertow. Mainly because you can listen to this song and know almost exactly how it feels.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 PM   #49

Bincount™: 2

The Flood intro makes me piss my pants it's so fuckin scary. Especially the bass at the very beginning.

-- Woody Allen
Old 08-08-2004, 03:40 PM   #50

Scary huh, interesting...I find the whole thing quite soothing and relaxing. It's very nice indeed. "and i was wrong...this changes everything" I love that line so much it makes the song as a whole just leap out at me. It hits home really deeply in just that one line. Excellent song, as are they all.
Then your mouth
Old 12-29-2004, 11:44 AM   #51
Mr. Dissonance (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 23

The intro is fucking amazing, the suspense, the atmosphere..god damn..
Old 01-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #52
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertolerance
Scary huh, interesting...I find the whole thing quite soothing and relaxing. It's very nice indeed. "and i was wrong...this changes everything" I love that line so much it makes the song as a whole just leap out at me. It hits home really deeply in just that one line. Excellent song, as are they all.
i like the
this is not the rock I thought it to beeeeeeeeeeeeeee

or whatever he says there
Old 05-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I love the intro. It's very Sabbath-esque
Old 05-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #54
Level 4 - Thinker

The intro makes the song because it builds it up.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: