opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #2401
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 8121
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbobbob View Post
Anyone know the name of the shirt where on the back there is the fetus inside the skull?

They were out of them when I tried to get one after the show and I'm trying to sift through all the shit on ebay, but there are like 800 shirts listed.

Nah its not that one, although it is cool

Its just a single skull with a single fetus in it...it's colored yellow around the black shirt.
Mardock rules.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #2402
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #2403
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

loking forward for the next europe tour. im patient if they will bring back the same light show as they used for their past tours (lasers etc). maybe not for the festival shows , hopefully for the headlinershows;.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #2404
Level 1 - Lurker

When do you guys think they will come back the the US? Later this year or are they going to Australia after Europe?
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 AM   #2405
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks0027 View Post
When do you guys think they will come back the the US? Later this year or are they going to Australia after Europe?
Well with wishful thinking in mind.......

I know they are opening a few shows for NIN in Europe. NIN comes back for a US tour in the Fall and I believe TOOL will be back in the fall. Maybe a TOOL/NIN tour?

That would be amazing!

Of course only wishful thinking on my part.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #2406
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
At the Big Day Out shows in January and February Maynard said, "see you in November or December". That would leave part of September and October and maybe parts of early November open for the last US leg of the tour. Though it would seem more logical to go to Australia and Japan after Europe then hit the states.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #2407
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz46&2 View Post
At the Big Day Out shows in January and February Maynard said, "see you in November or December". That would leave part of September and October and maybe parts of early November open for the last US leg of the tour. Though it would seem more logical to go to Australia and Japan after Europe then hit the states.
Dont forget that things could of changed due to Danny's arm injury. That pushed the last US tour back a couple of months.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #2408
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Probably get one more US leg in Jan/Feb after the New Zealand/Australia dates... Hopefully.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #2409
Level 7 - Loquacious

Just out of curiosity, why is it do you guys think Tool has avoided San Francisco since 1996? The fact that its basically musically owned by Clear Channel/Live Nation? Smaller venues? I find it quite perplexing why they would avoid the city and choose to play in East Bay instead. I know its just across the bay, but still, venues like the Bill Graham are a great fit for a Tool-sized concert and aren't owned by Clear Channel. Exactly why Pearl Jam has repeated played there...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #2410
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Last November, Torino- Italy, I had bought myself a ticket on line for some reason of strange circumstances, or pure excitement maybe, and ..... the freakin ticket came 3 days after the show.....

However that was a bad time for me all together, I was sick and I would have gone alone (10 hour train ride)..

I am going to Bologna 2 Sept, with buddies this time, feeling fueled with energy as I have spent the summer writing a thesis, and with an original ticket already sitting on my desk.... Pieces are coming together nicely this time..
Old 08-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #2411
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 8121

Man I want to find that t-shirt but I have no idea what it's called!

Anyone?
Mardock rules.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #2412
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivasativa View Post
Last November, Torino- Italy, I had bought myself a ticket on line for some reason of strange circumstances, or pure excitement maybe, and ..... the freakin ticket came 3 days after the show.....

However that was a bad time for me all together, I was sick and I would have gone alone (10 hour train ride)..

I am going to Bologna 2 Sept, with buddies this time, feeling fueled with energy as I have spent the summer writing a thesis, and with an original ticket already sitting on my desk.... Pieces are coming together nicely this time..

Nice. I've had my Pukkelpop August 18th tickets in hand for a few weeks now. Would not hesitate to purchase again online like I did for these through Teleticketservice. I would have straight up panicked if I did not have the tickets in hand upon arrival to Europe!

Getting close now. Only 6 days away! Too bad about the short set we'll receive from Tool but overall I have a feeling the day is going to turn out pretty damn well.

Edit- post 1000! <sniff>
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #2413
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post

Getting close now. Only 6 days away! Too bad about the short set we'll receive from Tool but overall I have a feeling the day is going to turn out pretty damn well.
Yeah, it kind of sucks to miss out on "Wings" but the festival sets are a little more "hard core" so that's pretty cool. So far I've only seen them (in person) at arena shows. Wouldn't mind seeing them at a festival, except for the time constraints of course. Maybe they'll play "Opiate" again.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #2414
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Yeah, it kind of sucks to miss out on "Wings" but the festival sets are a little more "hard core" so that's pretty cool. So far I've only seen them (in person) at arena shows. Wouldn't mind seeing them at a festival, except for the time constraints of course. Maybe they'll play "Opiate" again.
As much as I enjoy seeing Wings live, I don't mind a show or two without it. It's an intense journey and one that the audience seems to have trouble taking at times. I am hoping Pushit re-emerges. And for their own sake, Tool would do well to toss something out like Opiate, Parabola, or Eulogy during the festival shows. Even Swamp Song would be nice to see again.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-12-2007 at 09:10 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #2415
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
As much as I enjoy seeing Wings live, I don't mind a show or two without it. It's an intense journey and one that the audience seems to have trouble taking at times. I am hoping Pushit re-emerges. And for their own sake, Tool would do well to toss something out like Opiate, Parabola, or Eulogy during the festival shows. Even Swamp Song would be nice to see again.
Yes, it would be nice to get some variety but festival sets aren't treated as anything special (at least nowadays). I really doubt if they've even rehearsed over their break so I doubt anything different will be thrown in there. They could always toss in "The Pot", "Opiate", "Sober" and/or "Ænema" but that's probably about it. I still have high hopes for Brixton though.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #2416
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

This new european leg seems to be very disappointing for all the ones that have already seen tool last year.
I don't know why they do behave this way. There's people who spend money saved to travel and get tickets to their shows. Fans are not idiots.

I'm starting to sincerely don't give a shit about laserbeams and visuals. I care about music, songs. Not so much about the surrounding. I understand norvegian, polish and german people disappointment.

Last edited by 3poundsoflove; 08-13-2007 at 12:18 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 02:01 AM   #2417
mvb
Level 4 - Thinker

All the festivals will have the same setlist, probably. Maybe some very very small changes which will occur rarely.
Kinda sucks, and the lasers won't make up for it. If I want to see lasers I'll go to a lasergame.
Anyhow still hoping for the best at the Lowlands festival (netherlands).

And they played on the pinkpop festival 10 songs (incl schism and stinkfist extended), and now they're plaing 8.with an extended lateralus (which takes 2 minutes longer?!). A loss of two songs which is a gain of at least 12 minutes of ambient noise. That's just not very nice.

Last edited by mvb; 08-13-2007 at 02:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #2418
Level 10 - Vehement

Well, to be fair to the band on the set times, Tool probably does not have much say on it. The festival promoters decide how much time you get and you are expected to finish your set within that alloted time. I'd love to think Tool could just say 'screw you' and play longer, but that honestly is not good business. (although I have heard some festivals don't mind if the main act exceeds their time)

As far as variety in the songs, that is definitely Tool's fault. I know there is a problem with staging and being properly rehearsed for the songs. There is also an issue towards creating what they feel is a coherent set that 'works' night in and night out. I am pretty sure that's why a song like Pushit does not make the set every night.

Still, they should try some spontaneity and see what happens.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-13-2007 at 11:03 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #2419
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Well, to be fair to the band on the set times, Tool probably does not have much say on it. The festival promoters decide how much time you get and you are expected to finish your set within that alloted time. I'd love to think Tool could just say 'screw you' and play longer, but that honestly is not good business. (although I have heard some festivals don't mind if the main act exceeds their time)

As far as variety in the songs, that is definitely Tool's fault. I know there is a problem with staging and being properly rehearsed for the songs. There is also an issue towards creating what they feel is a coherent set that 'works' night in and night out. I am pretty sure that's why a song like Pushit does not make the set every night.

Still, they should try some spontaneity and see what happens.

You won't see any spontaneity at festivals because they don't have a soundcheck beforehand, which is probably why people say that the sound for "Jambi" is always erratic. I would imagine that they just keep the same setlist so that the show can be tight and well played in the alloted timeframe. Still, even throwing "Sober" or "The Pot" in there every once in a while would be nice. It would at least show some effort.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #2420
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
You won't see any spontaneity at festivals because they don't have a soundcheck beforehand, which is probably why people say that the sound for "Jambi" is always erratic. I would imagine that they just keep the same setlist so that the show can be tight and well played in the alloted timeframe. Still, even throwing "Sober" or "The Pot" in there every once in a while would be nice. It would at least show some effort.
Good point about the festival (non) soundcheck. And the band are perfectionists so it probably drives them bonkers knowing that the opening song is going to be a total waste. I have heard Jambi totally kick ass live but something has to go first at these festival shows.

You know, looking at the last 4 shows for Europe, they have done pretty much the same setlist (as expected). The one thing that drives me crazy is Schism! What is with the love for that song? I know it's a great tune and all. But I swear they have done that song every single show since Lateralus tour started. I guess they must really like playing it. I'm sick to hell of that one!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #2421
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
The one thing that drives me crazy is Schism! What is with the love for that song? I know it's a great tune and all. But I swear they have done that song every single show since Lateralus tour started. I guess they must really like playing it. I'm sick to hell of that one!
Schism and 46&2. I love both songs, but how many times do they feel the need to play them. I don't think they have played a show at all this tour without including both songs. I say replace 46&2 with H...didn't they used to do that???

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #2422
Level 7 - Loquacious

they are said to be great musicians, but what great musicians are they, if they're not able to play different songs without many reharsals?
No, this cannot be the point. They are just too lazy and dont care about the fans.
It's not that in one year the crowd has changed: this european leg is going to be attended from the same people that were there in June/July 06 and November/December 06.
Don't fool around with us: it's the same show once again. I cannot believe that they're not able to play simple songs like Intolerance, Prison Sex, 4°, H., Jimmy, Opiate, Part of Me, The Patient, Triad and even Intension if they rearrange it a little.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #2423
Level 10 - Vehement

Intension has been played this tour- just not a full version. They need to do that one. It's off their new record and there really is not much excuse for excluding it except to say it probably would not work well at a festival, given the short set times and slowness of the song.

The Patient has also been done this tour (I saw it). Dunno why they won't do it more but I think it's over and done.

The ones I feel strongest about are Jimmy, H., and Pushit. Aenema is not my favorite album by the band but these are good songs that should be played live more consistently. Jimmy especially is a winner. Really puzzling why they won't give it a go after all this time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #2424
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
I'm actually glad I have no money, because this is the third European leg of this tour since 2006 and even I cannot longer back up the set list at these festivals; despite the greatness of those songs.

I bet ya the last US leg will get the different stuff, just like happened on the Lateralus tour.

Alas, I'll always have 3 december 2006 with me. Best Show Ever.
So come to the US for a show maybe? I know it's expensive, but then I travel all around to see them so I should know.

I am not sick of hearing the new songs by any stretch. I love Rosetta Stoned live. I love Vicarious. And although they have been played to pieces I am always up for Stinkfist and Lateralus (especially the extended versions).

But I know the frustration and it's obvious the sets for the festival tour are not going to vary much. Still looking forward to Pukkelpop though. I have been listening to the Shins last record and it is quite good. And I have never seen NIN. Should be fun!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #2425
Level 7 - Loquacious

Firstly I thought that it was Maynard having problems with his voice, and so he only sang the songs he was more comfortable with.
Then that they just hadn't the time to prepare videos, visuals and lights coordination to more songs than the ones they play.
Now I really think that it's because they're lazy, cause they got no excuses: for example, a band like Radiohead never plays an identical show. Not only them.

I have to admit to myself that as long as tool is my favourite band, they're not the best live band around. Radiohead is better than tool, for example.
How I wish I am wrong...

in theory, these dates should be full-time shows:

london (x2)
manchester
frankfurt date #2
zagreb
belgrad
athens
istanbul

and maybe also partially Bologna where I know for absolutely sure that the organizers will give both NIN and tool 90 minutes.

I hope in these gigs they won't just add only the pot/aenema/wings/right in two/sober as additional songs. I really hope it for they people who are going to attend them shows.

I was there in Florence, November 11st, first time they did play Wings in Europe. Best show I've ever seen. But now I don't want to be disappointed by my favourite band. They have so many songs to choose from.

How I wish I will be surprised.

Last edited by 3poundsoflove; 08-14-2007 at 12:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 AM   #2426
Level 8 - Vociferous

I really want to say that the main reason that this tour's setlist has been so rigid is due to the lack or rehearsing by the band. And I would conjecture that the reason why they seldomly rehearse is because of things going on in their personal lives. Though it seems this is probably more true for Maynard than anyone else. He has his Puscifer project that he's been occupied with not to mention his vineyard. If you skim through his online journel for his wine website he spends 90% of his free time with that. I'm not saying he shouldn't, it's just a little discouraging. Especially if you consider that they are continuing this tour to cover the US again. Why even bother if you can't devote any time to rehearsing? It really doesn't make sense. I have to think that they are all pretty well off financially so it seems pointless to drag out this tour with the exact same material and lack of enthusiasm.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #2427
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I really want to say that the main reason that this tour's setlist has been so rigid is due to the lack or rehearsing by the band. And I would conjecture that the reason why they seldomly rehearse is because of things going on in their personal lives. Though it seems this is probably more true for Maynard than anyone else. He has his Puscifer project that he's been occupied with not to mention his vineyard. If you skim through his online journel for his wine website he spends 90% of his free time with that. I'm not saying he shouldn't, it's just a little discouraging. Especially if you consider that they are continuing this tour to cover the US again. Why even bother if you can't devote any time to rehearsing? It really doesn't make sense. I have to think that they are all pretty well off financially so it seems pointless to drag out this tour with the exact same material and lack of enthusiasm.
Too be honest, I can play all my old bands stuff to a T still (I would wish to rather not though haha) from 3-4 years ago. I'm sure a band who actually played shows with these songs day in and day out shouldn't have a problem bringing one out of the haystack...undertow stuff-easy as hell to play, maynard would probably bitch about his vocals, aenima stuff like H. or eulogy would need some timing work, as with most stuff on lateralus (theres some insane time sigs going on there!), but that shouldn't be an excuse honestly. Dream Theater plays random shit each night, and thier songs own Tool in layering by about a thousand, even though I like Tool better, they aren't better musicians if thats the case...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #2428

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3poundsoflove View Post
for example, a band like Radiohead never plays an identical show. Not only them.

I have to admit to myself that as long as tool is my favourite band, they're not the best live band around. Radiohead is better than tool, for example.
How I wish I am wrong...
That's funny that you said that, 'cause I just had this argument about which band is better with a friend of mine last night. He loves Radiohead and thinks Thom Yorke's voice is 10X better than Maynard. I disagree...love both bands, but TOOL is much better.

OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #2429
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

I think Tool is just kinda "bubbling over" in the Europe tour. They are just kinda "simmering down" and cooling off, preparing hopefully for a new album and tour...
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #2430
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
That's funny that you said that, 'cause I just had this argument about which band is better with a friend of mine last night. He loves Radiohead and thinks Thom Yorke's voice is 10X better than Maynard. I disagree...love both bands, but TOOL is much better.
Yorke does not have the vocal range that Maynard has. And on a good night I think Maynard may have one of the best live voices I have ever heard.

Also, Maynard has not lost anything vocally like some people have surmised. The scream he let out during Stinkfist the second night in San Diego (second leg) was mind blowing and hardly the sound of someone who has 'lost it'.

I'm not sure if 'lazy' is the best way to describe the lack of different songs, but it's not far off. I think it has more to do with lack of motivation and that they mainly just want to play the new stuff. Either way the impact on the fans is the same- we want some new songs! Like Jimmy- did I mention that one?? :P

Anyway, I stand by what I said in the setlist thread. I have been enjoying the sets as they are for the most part and whatever angst I have about the setlist seems to melt away once I am watching them.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-14-2007 at 10:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #2431
Level 7 - Loquacious

tool blows away radiohead in concert and on any album. tool isthe best thing to happen to music since hendrix. no band compares to what tool is doing and has down. i guess thats my opinion though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #2432
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
I agree with you 100%. Even as a band Tool is better than Radiohead. Every Tool song rocks, can't say the same for Radiohead.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #2433
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Can someone PLEASE make a list of every single song they have played on this tour? I would but I am too lazy to check through all of the concert setlists... Somebody please!?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #2434
Level 10 - Vehement

Geesus tap dancing Christ the band just cancelled their Aug 15th date! Oh man, Maynard had better be good to go on Saturday or I am pwned!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #2435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Can someone PLEASE make a list of every single song they have played on this tour? I would but I am too lazy to check through all of the concert setlists... Somebody please!?
I might have a few hours to spare. Give me a little time and I'll try to come up with a list. What do you want? Everything going back to the warm up tour in '06, or just the songs played during the '07 leg of the tour.

Last edited by Rhapsody; 08-14-2007 at 05:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #2436

Quote:
Geesus tap dancing Christ the band just cancelled their Aug 15th date! Oh man, Maynard had better be good to go on Saturday or I am pwned!
He sure gets sick a lot. Although I must admit that I'm suprised that this is the first cancellation this year...they're usually good for at least 2 or 3. Heck, I'm still annoyed about the Madison show last year. I hyped the show up to my friend to the point where he was really looking forward to going. Unfortunately when they came back to Chicago this year he wasn't able to go because he had to work. Ugh!!

Let's hope they are able to go on Saturday!

OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #2437

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
In album order:

Opiate

Sober
Swamp Song
Flood

Stinkfist (extended and normal)
Forty Six & 2
Pushit
Ænema

EBA/The Patient
Schism (extended)
Lateralus (extended and normal)

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings/10,000 Days
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring (once)
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Intension (intro)/Right in Two
Atlanta, GA - 7/27/09 | Fairfax, VA - 7/30/09
All Points West, NJ - 8/01/09
Kansas City, MO - 6/25/10 | St. Louis, MO - 6/26/10
Sacramento, CA - 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #2438

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirkus View Post
In album order:

Opiate

Sober
Swamp Song
Flood

Stinkfist (extended and normal)
Forty Six & 2
Pushit
Ænema

EBA/The Patient
Schism (extended)
Lateralus (extended and normal)

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings/10,000 Days
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring (once)
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Intension (intro)/Right in Two
Hahaha! I was just getting ready to start the list.

OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #2439
Level 8 - Vociferous

Sorry, but I have to do this. Compare this to last tour. Sorry.

Cold & Ugly
Opiate

Intolerance
Prison Sex (OTRM and original)
Sober
Swamp Song
Undertow
4 Degrees
Flood (with and without intro)

Stinkfist (extended/normal)
Eulogy
H.
46&2
jimmy
Pushit (Ænima and Salival versions)
Ænema
Third Eye

The Grudge
(EBA) The Patient
Schism (different intros and middle parts)
Parabol
Parabola
Ticks & Leeches
Lateralus
Disposition
Reflection
Triad

Wings for Marie intro to Lateralus.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #2440
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Getting t3h pwn from t3h Nard ftl.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: