Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Winter ("AU Summer") 2011
User Name
Password
SadSummerSea's Avatar SadSummerSea
01-16-2011, 02:44 PM

SETLIST --

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
01.30.11 - Big Day Out - Melbourne

SETLIST --

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
01-30-2011, 07:23 AM

.jambi
2.vicarious
3.eon blue apocalypse
4.the patient
5.flood
6.schism
7.lateralus
8.aenema
9.stinkfist
Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: 01.30.11 - Big Day Out - Melbourne

.jambi
2.vicarious
3.eon blue apocalypse
4.the patient
5.flood
6.schism
7.lateralus
8.aenema
9.stinkfist
01-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMOUSE View Post
.jambi
2.vicarious
3.eon blue apocalypse
4.the patient
5.flood
6.schism
7.lateralus
8.aenema
9.stinkfist
wow, so they're down to 8 songs effectively? That is a short set indeed. I'm praying wednesday night is going to be at least 1 song more than this......surely?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMOUSE View Post
.jambi
2.vicarious
3.eon blue apocalypse
4.the patient
5.flood
6.schism
7.lateralus
8.aenema
9.stinkfist
wow, so they're down to 8 songs effectively? That is a short set indeed. I'm praying wednesday night is going to be at least 1 song more than this......surely?
01-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Wednesday will definitely be longer. Melbourne BDO has a really tight curfew so they couldn't go past 10 like they have at other BDO's.

Amazing show. Better energy than the Gold Goast BDO and Brisbane sideshow.

A few notes:
Maynard actually sang the last 3 lines of Vicarious using the megaphone.
Lateralus again included a bit of Orion.
Sound was so much better than the Gold Coast BDO.
As much as I love Third Eye, I think that Jambi is better opener for a festival show. It really gets the whole crowd amped from the beginning.
On a personal note: Still no Intolerance for me :-( I just booked flights to Adelaide for Friday in case they don't play it on Wednesday. I will hear that song live, damn it! Don't make me go to Perth!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Wednesday will definitely be longer. Melbourne BDO has a really tight curfew so they couldn't go past 10 like they have at other BDO's.

A few notes:
As much as I love Third Eye, I think that Jambi is better opener for a festival show. It really gets the whole crowd amped from the beginning.
On a personal note: Still no Intolerance for me :-( I just booked flights to Adelaide for Friday in case they don't play it on Wednesday. I will hear that song live, damn it! Don't make me go to Perth!
inequitude
01-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz8rdr View Post

A few notes:
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this tour. I've enjoyed reading how it's all been going.

If you haven't seen Intolerance already I wouldn't hold your breath mate. Their (Jnr's) light show appears a little too technical to throw in a random song here or there... hence why you don't get any whimsical jamming (bar Lateralus breakdown), samples of new material or, you know, the band having fun.

I don't understand why they bother with the BDO. There are many other places they could be playing sell out gig's around NZ and AUS to appreciative fans, with the opportunity of playing an expanded set with a full rig... not to mention Jakob opening for them each time.

Giving NZ an hour in Auckland (of all places) at the BDO is a bit disrespectful to the country, but who am I to judge or strike down.
It's been about 8 years since they played Chch and Wellington. NZ has the highest album sales per capita in the world I've read, and since the Lateralus tour they've only played two hour long BDO sets.
What the?

Peace out.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

A few notes:
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this tour. I've enjoyed reading how it's all been going.

If you haven't seen Intolerance already I wouldn't hold your breath mate. Their (Jnr's) light show appears a little too technical to throw in a random song here or there... hence why you don't get any whimsical jamming (bar Lateralus breakdown), samples of new material or, you know, the band having fun.

I don't understand why they bother with the BDO. There are many other places they could be playing sell out gig's around NZ and AUS to appreciative fans, with the opportunity of playing an expanded set with a full rig... not to mention Jakob opening for them each time.

Giving NZ an hour in Auckland (of all places) at the BDO is a bit disrespectful to the country, but who am I to judge or strike down.
It's been about 8 years since they played Chch and Wellington. NZ has the highest album sales per capita in the world I've read, and since the Lateralus tour they've only played two hour long BDO sets.
What the?

Peace out.
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM

They've played Intolerance a couple of times this tour, so it's not such a stretch inequitude. I think they play BDO's because it's a cheap and effective way to tour in a country which is expensive to tour in. I'm reasonably confident the next album tour will be a proper one though, this one is really just a bonus...
Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

They've played Intolerance a couple of times this tour, so it's not such a stretch inequitude. I think they play BDO's because it's a cheap and effective way to tour in a country which is expensive to tour in. I'm reasonably confident the next album tour will be a proper one though, this one is really just a bonus...
01-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Something else I found quite surprising was that there were still autographed prints available at the end of the night after Tool had finished playing. I was able to pick one up and they were signed by all band members. I think the price of $100 was very reasonable. I thought they would have sold out much earlier in the day.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Something else I found quite surprising was that there were still autographed prints available at the end of the night after Tool had finished playing. I was able to pick one up and they were signed by all band members. I think the price of $100 was very reasonable. I thought they would have sold out much earlier in the day.
junior
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inequitude View Post

Not true, for the record.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by inequitude View Post

inequitude
01-30-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I ungraciously eat my hat.

Cheers.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I ungraciously eat my hat.

Cheers.
Seek to the Death Rattle's Avatar Seek to the Death Rattle
01-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:

A few notes:
Yeah, we were lucky in Auckland I must admit. How many shows you going to all up?Intolerance was a great surprise and works great in the middle of the set in my opinion, plus they played it perfectly. Even though it's been done to death a little in the past, I'm missing 46 & 2 personally. Such a great live song, with great visuals/lighting.....and DC playing one of my favourite drum parts ever. Great news about MJK singing the end of vicarious also....
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

A few notes:
Yeah, we were lucky in Auckland I must admit. How many shows you going to all up?Intolerance was a great surprise and works great in the middle of the set in my opinion, plus they played it perfectly. Even though it's been done to death a little in the past, I'm missing 46 & 2 personally. Such a great live song, with great visuals/lighting.....and DC playing one of my favourite drum parts ever. Great news about MJK singing the end of vicarious also....
01-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek to the Death Rattle View Post
I went to Gold Coast BDO, Brisbane side show and Melbourne BDO. I am going to Melbourne side show and now Adelaide BDO. If I don't get Intolerance at either of those I would be very tempted to keep heading west.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek to the Death Rattle View Post
I went to Gold Coast BDO, Brisbane side show and Melbourne BDO. I am going to Melbourne side show and now Adelaide BDO. If I don't get Intolerance at either of those I would be very tempted to keep heading west.
nembutals
01-30-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
[_] told
[_] not told
[x] told by junior
Old 01-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
[_] told
[_] not told
[x] told by junior
monkeyboy
01-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
I would have thought grossing a few million bucks for this tour would be a pretty good reason to tour the BDO.

BTW I thought the Melbourne show was great - short and sweet. Looking forward to the music bowl show it's going to be epic!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
I would have thought grossing a few million bucks for this tour would be a pretty good reason to tour the BDO.

BTW I thought the Melbourne show was great - short and sweet. Looking forward to the music bowl show it's going to be epic!
K@t
01-31-2011, 04:37 AM

Melbourne BDO was brilliant, they never let you down on the lighting! Lateralus was unbelievable. The crowd wasnt too bad where i was standing, bit sedate, but everyone slowly got into it which was good to see. Very much looking forward to the Myer Bowl!!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #14
K@t
Level 1 - Lurker

Melbourne BDO was brilliant, they never let you down on the lighting! Lateralus was unbelievable. The crowd wasnt too bad where i was standing, bit sedate, but everyone slowly got into it which was good to see. Very much looking forward to the Myer Bowl!!
Pablo's Avatar Pablo
01-31-2011, 09:38 AM

OK so I never went (but please do not delete this positive post), but I must add a thank you to you all for the feedback / reviews - the UK have had no shows these last couple of years, so despite my jealousy, it's great to see the band / shows are on top form and people are loving it as much as I would...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

OK so I never went (but please do not delete this positive post), but I must add a thank you to you all for the feedback / reviews - the UK have had no shows these last couple of years, so despite my jealousy, it's great to see the band / shows are on top form and people are loving it as much as I would...
beached_whale
01-31-2011, 04:26 PM

must say i was disappointed we only got 8 songs! they came on two minutes late and then left about five min early which means they could have fit another in there somewhere...was really hanging out for third eye too and when adam teased us with the intro before stinkfist i got all excited only to be let down. Still The Patient and Lateralus went off so that was some consolation...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

must say i was disappointed we only got 8 songs! they came on two minutes late and then left about five min early which means they could have fit another in there somewhere...was really hanging out for third eye too and when adam teased us with the intro before stinkfist i got all excited only to be let down. Still The Patient and Lateralus went off so that was some consolation...
tmarsh
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM

I was really disappointed. Thought the sound was shocking for Jambi + Vicarious. Am totally over hearing Jambi, Vicarious and Schism (that's just me though, 6 shows deep, I suppose it's to be expected).

Cut short Flood was a treat (equal fave song along with Third Eye/Push/Eulogy). Patient a treat.

Still dying to hear Eulogy, Intolerance, Prison Sex Live.

Something off Opiate would be nice.

God I am so p!ssed I didn't hear Third Eye...did anyone get a sense the set was cut short due to Rammstein going over time (at least according to my watch).

Anyway, highlights Flood, Lateralus, Stink and Aenema. Stinkfist/Aenema were very, very good.

Lighting probably the best I have seen.

Looking fwd to MMB with a $10 parma and $4 Corona at Hampton RSL for warm up.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

I was really disappointed. Thought the sound was shocking for Jambi + Vicarious. Am totally over hearing Jambi, Vicarious and Schism (that's just me though, 6 shows deep, I suppose it's to be expected).

Cut short Flood was a treat (equal fave song along with Third Eye/Push/Eulogy). Patient a treat.

Still dying to hear Eulogy, Intolerance, Prison Sex Live.

Something off Opiate would be nice.

God I am so p!ssed I didn't hear Third Eye...did anyone get a sense the set was cut short due to Rammstein going over time (at least according to my watch).

Anyway, highlights Flood, Lateralus, Stink and Aenema. Stinkfist/Aenema were very, very good.

Lighting probably the best I have seen.

Looking fwd to MMB with a $10 parma and $4 Corona at Hampton RSL for warm up.
tmarsh
01-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached_whale View Post
+1 this sentiment.
Chop Jambi and Schism, + Third Eye plus something else (H, Eulogy or Pushit >: ) ).

Now that would have been epic.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached_whale View Post
+1 this sentiment.
Chop Jambi and Schism, + Third Eye plus something else (H, Eulogy or Pushit >: ) ).

Now that would have been epic.
TAXIMITE's Avatar TAXIMITE
01-31-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nembutals View Post
[_] told
[_] not told
[x] told by junior
they played intolerance in auckland i was there i saw it and heard it.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nembutals View Post
[_] told
[_] not told
[x] told by junior
they played intolerance in auckland i was there i saw it and heard it.
Svedish_Chef
02-01-2011, 03:19 AM

"They let everyone down, they had to follow Rammstein!

Apart from that, everyone knew every word, and I was getting smashed
outside of the pit... admittedly like 5 rows back of the barrier, but,
thats WHY I was there. Disappointed there wasnt Third eye, and
especially pushit, but thats personal. I also wasnt a fan of Maynard
never having a spotlight... to be honest, I could have been seated 1/2
a mile away and had the same experience, which again, given Rammstein,
is not necessarily thier fault."
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

"They let everyone down, they had to follow Rammstein!

Apart from that, everyone knew every word, and I was getting smashed
outside of the pit... admittedly like 5 rows back of the barrier, but,
thats WHY I was there. Disappointed there wasnt Third eye, and
especially pushit, but thats personal. I also wasnt a fan of Maynard
never having a spotlight... to be honest, I could have been seated 1/2
a mile away and had the same experience, which again, given Rammstein,
is not necessarily thier fault."
rallues
02-01-2011, 03:56 PM

I was right up against the barrier infront of Justin, next to the massive subwoofers. First Tool show ive been to, it was freaking amazing.
I had to sit through Iggy and the Stooges to secure my barrier position, which was terrible.
I loved the set, I was slightly disapointed I never got to see the iconic opener Third Eye, I'l have to wait for their next (and probably last) Australian tour.
I wonder what was up with Maynards "Postal" shirt? The only refrence i can figure out is to a video game, which is initself a refrence to homicidal posties.
The number Maynard held up halfway through were 6 and 2 (or 62, or 6.2). Everyone assumed that meant they were going to play Fortysix & 2, after reading the other threads though, I knew what it meant really.
I was pretty sick of everyone complaining about them after they finished. Which comments like "You could tell they didnt want to be there, they didnt even face the crowd... etc etc". I suppose its to be expected that non-fans would be part of the crowd and have no idea what they are normally like. But still, annoying.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

I was right up against the barrier infront of Justin, next to the massive subwoofers. First Tool show ive been to, it was freaking amazing.
I had to sit through Iggy and the Stooges to secure my barrier position, which was terrible.
I loved the set, I was slightly disapointed I never got to see the iconic opener Third Eye, I'l have to wait for their next (and probably last) Australian tour.
I wonder what was up with Maynards "Postal" shirt? The only refrence i can figure out is to a video game, which is initself a refrence to homicidal posties.
The number Maynard held up halfway through were 6 and 2 (or 62, or 6.2). Everyone assumed that meant they were going to play Fortysix & 2, after reading the other threads though, I knew what it meant really.
I was pretty sick of everyone complaining about them after they finished. Which comments like "You could tell they didnt want to be there, they didnt even face the crowd... etc etc". I suppose its to be expected that non-fans would be part of the crowd and have no idea what they are normally like. But still, annoying.
qz8rdr
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallues View Post
At the Puscifier store in Jerome they sell the T-Shirts with the slogan "Going Postal Since the Late Nineteen Hundreds". The POSTAL is written in large letters like on Maynard's shirt. I couldn't tell if his had the other writing on it as it's quite small.

Last edited by qz8rdr; 02-01-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallues View Post
At the Puscifier store in Jerome they sell the T-Shirts with the slogan "Going Postal Since the Late Nineteen Hundreds". The POSTAL is written in large letters like on Maynard's shirt. I couldn't tell if his had the other writing on it as it's quite small.

Last edited by qz8rdr; 02-01-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Deigs
02-01-2011, 06:27 PM

If there is a Brisbane Entertainment Centre autographed show poster at the melbourne side show, can someone buy it and I'll buy it from them for 200 bucks!!! I bought the $20 one and jumped in the car and a mate had a signed one and I was kicking myself for not getting one.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

If there is a Brisbane Entertainment Centre autographed show poster at the melbourne side show, can someone buy it and I'll buy it from them for 200 bucks!!! I bought the $20 one and jumped in the car and a mate had a signed one and I was kicking myself for not getting one.
rallues
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I was right up the front and I couldnt see any other writing. After some googiling I saw the same shirt for sale on Ebay, but really no description as to why he was wearing it. But cool, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I was right up the front and I couldnt see any other writing. After some googiling I saw the same shirt for sale on Ebay, but really no description as to why he was wearing it. But cool, thanks for clearing that up.
khat
02-02-2011, 06:03 AM

I was in the D and the sound was absolutely woeful.

There was far too little vocals in the mix, very very boomy and seemed like it totally lacked midrange. It was loud and it was bassy but by far the worst sounding Tool concert I've been to. A pity because it was an excellent sent with the patient and flood. It did seem to recover towards the end but far too late for me to be happy about it.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

I was in the D and the sound was absolutely woeful.

There was far too little vocals in the mix, very very boomy and seemed like it totally lacked midrange. It was loud and it was bassy but by far the worst sounding Tool concert I've been to. A pity because it was an excellent sent with the patient and flood. It did seem to recover towards the end but far too late for me to be happy about it.
A.S.H
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarsh View Post

Whilst Rammstein did go slightly over I believe the only thing affected (time-wise) by this was "Le Chant de Sirenes" as Tool still got on exactly at the moment the timetable said they would (8:45). Also if my theory is correct, I feel Rammstein did us all a huge favour.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarsh View Post

Whilst Rammstein did go slightly over I believe the only thing affected (time-wise) by this was "Le Chant de Sirenes" as Tool still got on exactly at the moment the timetable said they would (8:45). Also if my theory is correct, I feel Rammstein did us all a huge favour.
richard1
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM

Thanks for sharing this information with us. I am not aware of these thing before.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Thanks for sharing this information with us. I am not aware of these thing before.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply