Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-25-2009 at 03:49 AM..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
07.24.09 - San Antonio, TX @ AT&T Center

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-25-2009 at 03:49 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Aganar
07-24-2009, 08:35 PM

Good show. Was nice to see an oldie show up. I was on the balcony, though, so I had no idea what Maynard was saying.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 07.24.09 - San Antonio, TX @ AT&T Center

Good show. Was nice to see an oldie show up. I was on the balcony, though, so I had no idea what Maynard was saying.
OFFLINE |  
mrpresident
07-24-2009, 09:01 PM

Setlist above is correct. That show was awesome. Was about 5 yards back of the rails, directly in front of Danny. Flood kicked ass! Maynard had jokes. And I have a new found appreciation for Justin. Dude rocked. Justin "yosemite Sam" chancellor!!!! Bring on Dallas!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Setlist above is correct. That show was awesome. Was about 5 yards back of the rails, directly in front of Danny. Flood kicked ass! Maynard had jokes. And I have a new found appreciation for Justin. Dude rocked. Justin "yosemite Sam" chancellor!!!! Bring on Dallas!!!
OFFLINE |  
joes1623
07-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Would have liked to have been closer but I met Maynard at the Wine signing so I don't feel as bad. At least that's what I tell myself to make me feel better for not being as close as i wanted to. First all around good concerts but I would like to see a few changes as this is my 7th show. I could have done w/o vicarious for the finale and maybe would have went with anema since it tour the house up but, oh well. Maybe sub Flood for Pushit as that seemed to be the rotation last go around. Rosetta was hard for me to keep up with the first few minutes. Ugh!! I will regret not getting a closer seat for a while. I will use this to moment to hold me over for a while. Tool never dissapoints in SA. Maynard was pretty vocal today between songs. Anyone know what he was saying? Please Help!!

Last edited by joes1623; 07-24-2009 at 09:29 PM..
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Would have liked to have been closer but I met Maynard at the Wine signing so I don't feel as bad. At least that's what I tell myself to make me feel better for not being as close as i wanted to. First all around good concerts but I would like to see a few changes as this is my 7th show. I could have done w/o vicarious for the finale and maybe would have went with anema since it tour the house up but, oh well. Maybe sub Flood for Pushit as that seemed to be the rotation last go around. Rosetta was hard for me to keep up with the first few minutes. Ugh!! I will regret not getting a closer seat for a while. I will use this to moment to hold me over for a while. Tool never dissapoints in SA. Maynard was pretty vocal today between songs. Anyone know what he was saying? Please Help!!

Last edited by joes1623; 07-24-2009 at 09:29 PM..
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM

tool show #16.... 5th on this tour.

before i get into the review, i need to spend some much deserved time talking about the people of this website. yesterday as soon as i arrived in san antonio, i checked my account on toolshed to find 4 personal messages on my account. all 4 of these messages were from people i have never heard of or talked to before. all 4 of these people offered to give me rides and/or transportation when I get to their respective cities.

Seriously, i was absolutely overwhelmed. A huge kudos and shutout to the awesome people of toolshed who are baffling me with an incredible amount of generosity. The best part of this trip so far has been the people I've met along the way.

tonight was by far the most drunk/high i've ever been for a tool show. and, does it surprise you to find out this generally equates to a much more awesome experience!? --how ironic that of all the states i'm visiting, texas is where i'm breaking the most laws. ridiculous laws, at that.

on to the show. first of all, one interesting thing I noticed. There is a well known video on youtube right now that shows justin/adam/danny jamming out to lateralus in danny's house. it's very rare and a really awesome video. anyways, in the video you see some interesting looking visual octogan-esoteric symbol behind danny carey. this is the same visual they have on the stage on top of the lighting rig for this tour. thought that was neat.

tonight was awesome. same setlist as the recent shows, with aenema added after flood. once again it is necessary to mention how absolutely incredible DC is. This man never ceases to amaze me. I'm convinced he is not a human.

Justin was wearing an awesome indian hat or something during lateralus - rather comical.

as always, rosetta stoned was my favourite song of the night. the introduction of the lasers is a very memorable part of the show. yet again, kudos to junior and his team on the visuals.

on to dallas tomorrow...

tonight was an awesome show.
but more importantly, a huge thank you to the people of toolshed for a ridiculous amount of genorosity and assistance. much appreciated, folks.

my faith in humanity is restored.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

tool show #16.... 5th on this tour.

before i get into the review, i need to spend some much deserved time talking about the people of this website. yesterday as soon as i arrived in san antonio, i checked my account on toolshed to find 4 personal messages on my account. all 4 of these messages were from people i have never heard of or talked to before. all 4 of these people offered to give me rides and/or transportation when I get to their respective cities.

Seriously, i was absolutely overwhelmed. A huge kudos and shutout to the awesome people of toolshed who are baffling me with an incredible amount of generosity. The best part of this trip so far has been the people I've met along the way.

tonight was by far the most drunk/high i've ever been for a tool show. and, does it surprise you to find out this generally equates to a much more awesome experience!? --how ironic that of all the states i'm visiting, texas is where i'm breaking the most laws. ridiculous laws, at that.

on to the show. first of all, one interesting thing I noticed. There is a well known video on youtube right now that shows justin/adam/danny jamming out to lateralus in danny's house. it's very rare and a really awesome video. anyways, in the video you see some interesting looking visual octogan-esoteric symbol behind danny carey. this is the same visual they have on the stage on top of the lighting rig for this tour. thought that was neat.

tonight was awesome. same setlist as the recent shows, with aenema added after flood. once again it is necessary to mention how absolutely incredible DC is. This man never ceases to amaze me. I'm convinced he is not a human.

Justin was wearing an awesome indian hat or something during lateralus - rather comical.

as always, rosetta stoned was my favourite song of the night. the introduction of the lasers is a very memorable part of the show. yet again, kudos to junior and his team on the visuals.

on to dallas tomorrow...

tonight was an awesome show.
but more importantly, a huge thank you to the people of toolshed for a ridiculous amount of genorosity and assistance. much appreciated, folks.

my faith in humanity is restored.
07-24-2009, 10:10 PM

Before I review, I've got to give it up to Tweak Bird. Those motherfuckers can wail for a two-piece, and Ashton (the drummer) owned during Lateralus.

Band was tight as I've ever seen them, Maynard was hilarious, the acoustics at the SBC Center are sketch, but Tool still pulled it off. Lasers/Videos were stellar as usual.

Flood and Aenema were the highlights of the night for me, oldies are always fun. Justin's enormous hat, along with he and Adam's all-white get-ups were awesome.

Danny solidified, as he always does, his place as the best live drummer walking the face of the planet. The guy not only nails every note, he improvised in nearly every song, nailed his Stinkfist extension, and brought the house down with Lateralus.

Fourth time seeing these guys, and not only do the shows impress, but the loyalty (and near-rabid behavior) of the fans is what makes a Tool concert so enjoyable.

Like Maynard said, "Imagine that this is your house. And everyone else is your roommate. So pick up your underwear, do your dishes... and, oh, the dog shit in the spare room, better pick that up before mom comes over."

Last edited by lzep86; 07-24-2009 at 10:16 PM..
Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Before I review, I've got to give it up to Tweak Bird. Those motherfuckers can wail for a two-piece, and Ashton (the drummer) owned during Lateralus.

Band was tight as I've ever seen them, Maynard was hilarious, the acoustics at the SBC Center are sketch, but Tool still pulled it off. Lasers/Videos were stellar as usual.

Flood and Aenema were the highlights of the night for me, oldies are always fun. Justin's enormous hat, along with he and Adam's all-white get-ups were awesome.

Danny solidified, as he always does, his place as the best live drummer walking the face of the planet. The guy not only nails every note, he improvised in nearly every song, nailed his Stinkfist extension, and brought the house down with Lateralus.

Fourth time seeing these guys, and not only do the shows impress, but the loyalty (and near-rabid behavior) of the fans is what makes a Tool concert so enjoyable.

Like Maynard said, "Imagine that this is your house. And everyone else is your roommate. So pick up your underwear, do your dishes... and, oh, the dog shit in the spare room, better pick that up before mom comes over."

Last edited by lzep86; 07-24-2009 at 10:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sexwithfurniture's Avatar sexwithfurniture
07-24-2009, 11:33 PM

damn, why's the san antonio general live discussion whatever thread locked? no one even said anything... this here is like the knooks and crannies of it all. lighten up. i must say, great show tonight.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

damn, why's the san antonio general live discussion whatever thread locked? no one even said anything... this here is like the knooks and crannies of it all. lighten up. i must say, great show tonight.
OFFLINE |  
s0me0nesmind1
07-24-2009, 11:34 PM

Before I get into Tool - Tweakbird - the opening band, really is a unique treat. The vocals, while unique, I found to be retarded at best. Maybe I'm just too used to Maynard. It's a good thing the instruments (specifically, drums) made up for it. It was definitely worth getting there early for.

Now on to Tool - I have to say I was 100% stunned by tonight's showing. Everything was spot on to my ear and Maynard was just as active as ever. No Lazyness that other people seem to report. I absolutely loved the show the whole way through. Maynardism's were....well...Maynardism's... You get used to the random shit he says after a while. What I found unique? Maynard didn't get half naked at any point during the show heh. Fully clothed with a button up and jeans from what I could see in Section 4.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Before I get into Tool - Tweakbird - the opening band, really is a unique treat. The vocals, while unique, I found to be retarded at best. Maybe I'm just too used to Maynard. It's a good thing the instruments (specifically, drums) made up for it. It was definitely worth getting there early for.

Now on to Tool - I have to say I was 100% stunned by tonight's showing. Everything was spot on to my ear and Maynard was just as active as ever. No Lazyness that other people seem to report. I absolutely loved the show the whole way through. Maynardism's were....well...Maynardism's... You get used to the random shit he says after a while. What I found unique? Maynard didn't get half naked at any point during the show heh. Fully clothed with a button up and jeans from what I could see in Section 4.
OFFLINE |  
EyesOfAFallenAngel's Avatar EyesOfAFallenAngel
07-25-2009, 12:09 AM

Amazing show, yet again. Will definitely go into more details for my experience, but am going the fuck to sleep, seeing as I just got in from a 3 hr drive back home.

+1 Eoafa. end thread/ -Kelly
Old 07-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3227

Amazing show, yet again. Will definitely go into more details for my experience, but am going the fuck to sleep, seeing as I just got in from a 3 hr drive back home.

OFFLINE |  
Malchek007
07-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Tongiht was EPIC for me. The lighting and laser upgrade was phenominal. I think maybe the difference was that I was stone cold sober for this show and was able to completely absorb it without one mental distraction whatsoever.(with an exception for some dumb old lady that kept trying to raise her lighter for every song.) With the previous shows I've been to, I've made it a point to fill my head with as many psychedelics as possible. This time it felt that I've grown past that. The set was perfect. It really frustrates me to see posts with those that decide to whine about how the shows are not how they would like them to be. ITS NOT ABOUT YOU! GET OVER IT.....or don't , because it goes on with or without you. All the guys were on spot tonight and I have to say that I could feel the brotherhood in which they share. When Justin put that oversized cowboy hat on..........an attempt at a TEXAS connection, worked like a charm. My boys blew the bitch outha water tonight. And to end it........"Let the drumsterbation begin!"
Old 07-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Tongiht was EPIC for me. The lighting and laser upgrade was phenominal. I think maybe the difference was that I was stone cold sober for this show and was able to completely absorb it without one mental distraction whatsoever.(with an exception for some dumb old lady that kept trying to raise her lighter for every song.) With the previous shows I've been to, I've made it a point to fill my head with as many psychedelics as possible. This time it felt that I've grown past that. The set was perfect. It really frustrates me to see posts with those that decide to whine about how the shows are not how they would like them to be. ITS NOT ABOUT YOU! GET OVER IT.....or don't , because it goes on with or without you. All the guys were on spot tonight and I have to say that I could feel the brotherhood in which they share. When Justin put that oversized cowboy hat on..........an attempt at a TEXAS connection, worked like a charm. My boys blew the bitch outha water tonight. And to end it........"Let the drumsterbation begin!"
OFFLINE |  
1991texas
07-25-2009, 05:14 AM

Great show. I have been a tool fan since 1991 when my youngest son was born and he got to go to his first tool show and loved it. I did notice Maynard stayed dressed all night. I think it must have been the Texas heat that got to him. Since the first tool song I was exposed to was sober I would have liked that to have made the list but I guess that song is a classic and too old. A suprise was how fast we got out of the ATT center. I guess for 15 bucks to park they owe you that. One Maynard quote I think he said was when the second drummer joined the encore he was there from the make a wish foundation? Can anyone comment on that? Overall great show. I did see them a few years ago and it seemed like the screens were smaller now then they were or maybe the att center is just huge not sure. Vocal mix was a little low on some songs but still a great show.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show. I have been a tool fan since 1991 when my youngest son was born and he got to go to his first tool show and loved it. I did notice Maynard stayed dressed all night. I think it must have been the Texas heat that got to him. Since the first tool song I was exposed to was sober I would have liked that to have made the list but I guess that song is a classic and too old. A suprise was how fast we got out of the ATT center. I guess for 15 bucks to park they owe you that. One Maynard quote I think he said was when the second drummer joined the encore he was there from the make a wish foundation? Can anyone comment on that? Overall great show. I did see them a few years ago and it seemed like the screens were smaller now then they were or maybe the att center is just huge not sure. Vocal mix was a little low on some songs but still a great show.
OFFLINE |  
Renegrenade
07-25-2009, 07:35 AM

Ok, I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here.

This was my 6th time seeing Tool and was the second worst show I've seen, the worst being my previous show in Houston where Maynard was too sick to even sing. Does that mean this show was bad? No. In fact, my friend who had never seen Tool before thought it was amazing. But those that have seen Tool prior to the last few years will notice a significant decrease in quality from the band. The video/light show is top notch, but there doesn't seem to be any passion in the music anymore.

Most of this falls squarely on Maynards shoulders. It's pretty clear that he checked out a while ago and is just going through the motions. His dances, which once seemed to him just really feeling the music, have seemed to change to almost a mockery of the music. Like he knows that the audience expects it so he does silly moves instead of the intense dancing of old. The worst offender is his voice though. I used to think Maynard had the best voice in rock but it's either shot or he just doesn't try anymore. He sings in a higher/quieter voice than he used to and relies way too heavily on his megaphone. He also never does any of the powerful screams that are present on the albums or in their old concerts. It makes the songs much less powerful. I also found it kind of insulting that he didn't sing the last few lines of Vicarious, instead just half heartedly olding the megaphone thing out to the audience and then quickly walking off stage.

The rest of the band did ok, but the whole thing sounded muddled and sloppy. If you weren't intensely familiar with Tool you may not be able to pick the songs out. And yes, Maynards vocals were very low.

I've been desperately trying to recapture the experience of the first couple of times I saw them, but I have to accept that the Tool of old is gone. There is no more magic at these shows.

I also have to say that Tool fans (hopefully not you guys) continue to be the worst fans I've ever witnessed. I've been to hundreds of shows and the crowds at Tool are terrible in comparison. There were fights, tons of jocks with tribal tattoos and backwards hats moshing, people too drunk or stoned to function, and a guy behind me on the floor actually peed in the middle of the crowd. Yes, I got hit. I was peed on last night.

Thanks, Tool.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 6th time seeing Tool and was the second worst show I've seen, the worst being my previous show in Houston where Maynard was too sick to even sing. Does that mean this show was bad? No. In fact, my friend who had never seen Tool before thought it was amazing. But those that have seen Tool prior to the last few years will notice a significant decrease in quality from the band. The video/light show is top notch, but there doesn't seem to be any passion in the music anymore.

Most of this falls squarely on Maynards shoulders. It's pretty clear that he checked out a while ago and is just going through the motions. His dances, which once seemed to him just really feeling the music, have seemed to change to almost a mockery of the music. Like he knows that the audience expects it so he does silly moves instead of the intense dancing of old. The worst offender is his voice though. I used to think Maynard had the best voice in rock but it's either shot or he just doesn't try anymore. He sings in a higher/quieter voice than he used to and relies way too heavily on his megaphone. He also never does any of the powerful screams that are present on the albums or in their old concerts. It makes the songs much less powerful. I also found it kind of insulting that he didn't sing the last few lines of Vicarious, instead just half heartedly olding the megaphone thing out to the audience and then quickly walking off stage.

The rest of the band did ok, but the whole thing sounded muddled and sloppy. If you weren't intensely familiar with Tool you may not be able to pick the songs out. And yes, Maynards vocals were very low.

I've been desperately trying to recapture the experience of the first couple of times I saw them, but I have to accept that the Tool of old is gone. There is no more magic at these shows.

I also have to say that Tool fans (hopefully not you guys) continue to be the worst fans I've ever witnessed. I've been to hundreds of shows and the crowds at Tool are terrible in comparison. There were fights, tons of jocks with tribal tattoos and backwards hats moshing, people too drunk or stoned to function, and a guy behind me on the floor actually peed in the middle of the crowd. Yes, I got hit. I was peed on last night.

Thanks, Tool.
OFFLINE |  
hboghbog0
07-25-2009, 07:43 AM

My 7th Tool show, and while it definitely wasn't the best, it is still Tool so it was pretty damn good. Every time I hear Lateralus live, I feel like I'm have been taken to a better place. The additional parts in Schism and Stinkfist are rockin. I'm looking forward to the Dallas show tonight.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

My 7th Tool show, and while it definitely wasn't the best, it is still Tool so it was pretty damn good. Every time I hear Lateralus live, I feel like I'm have been taken to a better place. The additional parts in Schism and Stinkfist are rockin. I'm looking forward to the Dallas show tonight.
OFFLINE |  
sLip_roMpe's Avatar sLip_roMpe
07-25-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991texas View Post
Great show.....A suprise was how fast we got out of the ATT center. I guess for 15 bucks to park they owe you that. One Maynard quote I think he said was when the second drummer joined the encore he was there from the make a wish foundation? Can anyone comment on that? Overall great show. I did see them a few years ago and it seemed like the screens were smaller now then they were or maybe the att center is just huge not sure. Vocal mix was a little low on some songs but still a great show.
my first [TOOL] concert!!!
my first post in any forum ever!!!
wtf?
Ya he did say that the the drummer from Tweakbird (who, btw, kicked ass..need to web search those guys) was there courtesy of the Make-A-Wish foundation. Idk how true that is but its awesome if it is though. But from were i was on the floor, like one row behing the main mosh-pit, the vocals were whorebell! I couldn't make out too many lyrics and he coulda been singing in pig latin and i sang the songs as i hear em everyday. But the tour rocked my effn block off! The visuals were great. I think the ATT Center was way too big, but the visuals...someone earlier said "drumorgasm" well my eyes busted a fantastic NUTT!!

My babie "keistered" my camera for me and i was getting some vids and pics but as i said earlier we were one row behing the main pit dead center on floor and LATERALUS came on...the gym shook...her hands went up and my camera came down...so ya ill see what i can salvage later.

Oh, we were the retards wearing glowsticks necklaces(pink) and she had a glowstick fairy wand and i had a glowstick sword so if u saw us...let me know...cuz i did move the crowd like 5 times i had to piss so much i was so effn drunk..and to RENEGRENADE...dude that wasn't me i swear. i know where the bathrooms are. and the jocks you speak of are/were idiots...i wanted to strangle someone cuz my girl got stepped on pretty badly and i know..i know..its a concert what can i expect? Well these guys were complete morons as a group.

peace out..
keep hip hop alive..
lol..jk

Last edited by sLip_roMpe; 07-25-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: new post-ers and spelling
Old 07-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991texas View Post
Great show.....A suprise was how fast we got out of the ATT center. I guess for 15 bucks to park they owe you that. One Maynard quote I think he said was when the second drummer joined the encore he was there from the make a wish foundation? Can anyone comment on that? Overall great show. I did see them a few years ago and it seemed like the screens were smaller now then they were or maybe the att center is just huge not sure. Vocal mix was a little low on some songs but still a great show.
my first [TOOL] concert!!!
my first post in any forum ever!!!
wtf?
Ya he did say that the the drummer from Tweakbird (who, btw, kicked ass..need to web search those guys) was there courtesy of the Make-A-Wish foundation. Idk how true that is but its awesome if it is though. But from were i was on the floor, like one row behing the main mosh-pit, the vocals were whorebell! I couldn't make out too many lyrics and he coulda been singing in pig latin and i sang the songs as i hear em everyday. But the tour rocked my effn block off! The visuals were great. I think the ATT Center was way too big, but the visuals...someone earlier said "drumorgasm" well my eyes busted a fantastic NUTT!!

My babie "keistered" my camera for me and i was getting some vids and pics but as i said earlier we were one row behing the main pit dead center on floor and LATERALUS came on...the gym shook...her hands went up and my camera came down...so ya ill see what i can salvage later.

Oh, we were the retards wearing glowsticks necklaces(pink) and she had a glowstick fairy wand and i had a glowstick sword so if u saw us...let me know...cuz i did move the crowd like 5 times i had to piss so much i was so effn drunk..and to RENEGRENADE...dude that wasn't me i swear. i know where the bathrooms are. and the jocks you speak of are/were idiots...i wanted to strangle someone cuz my girl got stepped on pretty badly and i know..i know..its a concert what can i expect? Well these guys were complete morons as a group.

peace out..
keep hip hop alive..
lol..jk

Last edited by sLip_roMpe; 07-25-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: new post-ers and spelling
OFFLINE |  
lzep86's Avatar lzep86
07-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegrenade View Post

Thanks, Tool.
1. The acoustics at the SBC Center suck dick, at best.

2. Maynard is in his 40s... they've been going for almost 20 years. Don't bitch, it's just part of the maturation of a singer. Robert Plant was nowhere near the vocalist in '79 that he was in '69, and we're only talking ten years.

3. The music was far from sloppy. Danny, Adam, and Justin were completely on, not to mention adding in improvs for almost every song. See number 1.

4. Fans have nothing to do with the band. Is it unfortunate that a lot of douche bags hear Forty-Six & 2 on the radio and automatically snap up Tool tickets? Yeah. But there are just as many fans (I knew plenty personally) at these shows that truly appreciate and understand the complexities and nuances of Tool

I understand your frustration, dude, but keep it all in perspective. Less than quality venue, two decades into a career, and it's 2009, the year of Clear Channel, MTV, Affliction shirts, and Twitter. Intelligent fans, nay, intelligent people, are an endangered species. Trust me, I told my buddy last night that I'd give my left nut to have seen them in their Opiate days, but I'll consider myself lucky enough to be able to tell my kids I saw Tool play multiple times, regardless of when it was in their career.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:

Thanks, Tool.

2. Maynard is in his 40s... they've been going for almost 20 years. Don't bitch, it's just part of the maturation of a singer. Robert Plant was nowhere near the vocalist in '79 that he was in '69, and we're only talking ten years.

3. The music was far from sloppy. Danny, Adam, and Justin were completely on, not to mention adding in improvs for almost every song. See number 1.

4. Fans have nothing to do with the band. Is it unfortunate that a lot of douche bags hear Forty-Six & 2 on the radio and automatically snap up Tool tickets? Yeah. But there are just as many fans (I knew plenty personally) at these shows that truly appreciate and understand the complexities and nuances of Tool

I understand your frustration, dude, but keep it all in perspective. Less than quality venue, two decades into a career, and it's 2009, the year of Clear Channel, MTV, Affliction shirts, and Twitter. Intelligent fans, nay, intelligent people, are an endangered species. Trust me, I told my buddy last night that I'd give my left nut to have seen them in their Opiate days, but I'll consider myself lucky enough to be able to tell my kids I saw Tool play multiple times, regardless of when it was in their career.
07-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:

This was my 6th time seeing Tool and was the second worst show I've seen, the worst being my previous show in Houston where Maynard was too sick to even sing.
Was this the Houston show during the first 10k days tour? If so I was there too and I agree I didn't have a good time at all. So this being my 2nd show was a serious improvement I guess. Oh well, I wasn't as dissapointed as you, specifically because I was fairly intoxicated.

Quote:
Okay now this is pretty bad. I have to admit, there's way too many ghetto ass people who probably couldn't name a song that hasn't been played on the radio everyday. Then there's the stoners who think The Pot is the greatest song ever. But whatever, people have their opinions, I guess im not complaining other than them being there since I had an excellent seat instead of GA. For once im glad the pit was sold out and I couldn't get a ticket.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

This was my 6th time seeing Tool and was the second worst show I've seen, the worst being my previous show in Houston where Maynard was too sick to even sing.
Was this the Houston show during the first 10k days tour? If so I was there too and I agree I didn't have a good time at all. So this being my 2nd show was a serious improvement I guess. Oh well, I wasn't as dissapointed as you, specifically because I was fairly intoxicated.

Quote:
Okay now this is pretty bad. I have to admit, there's way too many ghetto ass people who probably couldn't name a song that hasn't been played on the radio everyday. Then there's the stoners who think The Pot is the greatest song ever. But whatever, people have their opinions, I guess im not complaining other than them being there since I had an excellent seat instead of GA. For once im glad the pit was sold out and I couldn't get a ticket.
OFFLINE |  
saturnrev
07-25-2009, 08:47 AM

Wow what an amazing show. 4th time seeing TOOL and although it was nearly the same setlist from 07, it never seems to get old. Maynard's vocals were nice and he was more talkative than i have ever seen. Danny was.....well what can i say hes a freaking beast. Adam was his usual self and Justin was into it as always. All n all the band sounded really good, this was the first time a have ever seen Aenema live so that was the highlight of my night. Thanks guys for amazing me once again. See ya'll tonight in Dallas.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow what an amazing show. 4th time seeing TOOL and although it was nearly the same setlist from 07, it never seems to get old. Maynard's vocals were nice and he was more talkative than i have ever seen. Danny was.....well what can i say hes a freaking beast. Adam was his usual self and Justin was into it as always. All n all the band sounded really good, this was the first time a have ever seen Aenema live so that was the highlight of my night. Thanks guys for amazing me once again. See ya'll tonight in Dallas.
OFFLINE |  
Renegrenade
07-25-2009, 08:49 AM

I'd like to reiterate that I don't think it was a BAD show, it was just disappointing in comparison. I definitely don't feel the need to see Tool as it currently exists again.

As far as the fans, I know that's not the bands fault. Fans are a separate issue.

I also realize a lot of the sound issues could have been venue related, but if you look up videos of other shows on this tour you'll find similar problems, even taking into account the bad audio recording quality.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

I'd like to reiterate that I don't think it was a BAD show, it was just disappointing in comparison. I definitely don't feel the need to see Tool as it currently exists again.

As far as the fans, I know that's not the bands fault. Fans are a separate issue.

I also realize a lot of the sound issues could have been venue related, but if you look up videos of other shows on this tour you'll find similar problems, even taking into account the bad audio recording quality.
OFFLINE |  
operativex
07-25-2009, 09:04 AM

Man! Another great Tool concert (my 7th since 2001). These 4 extraordinary gentlemen never fail to impress. Yes, there are always a couple of things that maybe could have been done differently, but to me, it's ALL GOOD!

Some thoughts on last night's show:

We sat in section 103, acoustics were pretty damn good, quite clear most of the time. Very LOUD which was nice :) I am impressed they can generate that much noise from what seems like a relatively small speaker stack (compared to speaker stacks of old).

The guys were kicking ass and taking names. Maynard seemed to be enjoying himself, thanked us for inviting them into our "apartment", chatted it up a bit throughout the night. During Rosetta Stoned the pitch of his megaphone voice was really high, almost frantic it seemed, it was awesome! I was picturing the dude at Area 51 freaking out and running around.

Danny.... oh Danny. Not much needs to be said. AMAZING like always!

Adam seemed to play a few new melodies here and there in different songs, which was nice. GREAT guitarist and I love his surgical precision.

I think Justin really stole last night's show, white jumpsuit (like Adam), then he played with the hoodie on for a bit, then out of nowhere he's wearing a HUGE novelty cowboy hat! It was hilarious and I applaud him for acknowledging the Texas crowd in that manner, hahaha Justin is always great in how INTO his playing he is. Constantly jamming out like crazy, and I am always impressed by how many of the music notes are actually coming from his bass; he plays that thing like a normal guitar....

I love when the guys stand together for a little while on stage. That must be an awesome feeling for them. How fortunate we all are to have these 4 men come together and play for us as TOOL.

46&2 just kills live. The notes at the end just pound into your skull, it's awesome...

The intro to Flood seemed to be shorter than usual. Too bad, I love the slow build up in that song!

The "drumsterbation" was awesome and the guest drummer was very impressive! One of the better drum-off's I've seen during a Tool show!!

I was disappointed at the cresendo of Vicarious (Maynard just held the mic towards the crowd); we didn't even get the last line this time.... If that's the last song you're going to leave the crowd with, why end it like that?

Like someone else mentioned, leaving the AT&T Center was VERY fast, hats off to the venue for actually doing something to help traffic out of there.

Anyway, I feel lucky that I got to see Tool again so soon (less than 2 years). Hopefully the guys will start putting their heads together for some new music soon!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Man! Another great Tool concert (my 7th since 2001). These 4 extraordinary gentlemen never fail to impress. Yes, there are always a couple of things that maybe could have been done differently, but to me, it's ALL GOOD!

Some thoughts on last night's show:

We sat in section 103, acoustics were pretty damn good, quite clear most of the time. Very LOUD which was nice :) I am impressed they can generate that much noise from what seems like a relatively small speaker stack (compared to speaker stacks of old).

The guys were kicking ass and taking names. Maynard seemed to be enjoying himself, thanked us for inviting them into our "apartment", chatted it up a bit throughout the night. During Rosetta Stoned the pitch of his megaphone voice was really high, almost frantic it seemed, it was awesome! I was picturing the dude at Area 51 freaking out and running around.

Danny.... oh Danny. Not much needs to be said. AMAZING like always!

Adam seemed to play a few new melodies here and there in different songs, which was nice. GREAT guitarist and I love his surgical precision.

I think Justin really stole last night's show, white jumpsuit (like Adam), then he played with the hoodie on for a bit, then out of nowhere he's wearing a HUGE novelty cowboy hat! It was hilarious and I applaud him for acknowledging the Texas crowd in that manner, hahaha Justin is always great in how INTO his playing he is. Constantly jamming out like crazy, and I am always impressed by how many of the music notes are actually coming from his bass; he plays that thing like a normal guitar....

I love when the guys stand together for a little while on stage. That must be an awesome feeling for them. How fortunate we all are to have these 4 men come together and play for us as TOOL.

46&2 just kills live. The notes at the end just pound into your skull, it's awesome...

The intro to Flood seemed to be shorter than usual. Too bad, I love the slow build up in that song!

The "drumsterbation" was awesome and the guest drummer was very impressive! One of the better drum-off's I've seen during a Tool show!!

I was disappointed at the cresendo of Vicarious (Maynard just held the mic towards the crowd); we didn't even get the last line this time.... If that's the last song you're going to leave the crowd with, why end it like that?

Like someone else mentioned, leaving the AT&T Center was VERY fast, hats off to the venue for actually doing something to help traffic out of there.

Anyway, I feel lucky that I got to see Tool again so soon (less than 2 years). Hopefully the guys will start putting their heads together for some new music soon!
OFFLINE |  
concretodisciple
07-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Having seen TOOL for the 6th time now, I'm slightly frustrated with TOOL.

It appears to me they've grown stagnant and refuse to play anything outside the same set list they've been playing for basically the last 2 -3 years, since 10,000 Days came out. This is slightly troubling for me since tickets for TOOL are not the cheapest and they rarely come to Houston anymore and so I'm forced to travel all over the beautiful state of Texas to see what was once and still are to some extent, my favorite band. As a long time listener to TOOL I dream of seeing Maynard playing for three to four hours and only playing stuff off of Opiate, Undertow and AEnema (and a few Lateralus songs - leave the 10K Days stuff for the radio poseurs who only hear a few of the singles and think they're fans.) I would clear my bank account to go to a TOOL show that wasn't filled with boring songs like Rosetta Stoned (a great album song, so boring in arena shows since you can barely discern what the hell Maynard is saying anyways) or Schism (the song that in my mind destroyed TOOL in a way.) Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but I want to hear classic songs, like Eulogy, Opiate, Cold and Ugly, Sweat, Third Eye, Prison Sex, Swamp Song, Pushit, even Sober.

With that in mind, this is probably the first show I've been to of TOOL's that I left feeling unsatisfied. I saw them previously in 2007 at the Toyota Center and I felt that show was really good (considering they had a new set list from the previous time I saw them which was a few years back.) Even though I wasn't on the floor for the San Antonio show, it didn't really matter much. Maynard's vocals were overpowered for the most part by Adam and Justin (which is a huge problem I've had with every arena show I've been to in the past - you figured they'd learn how to do the vocals for an arena show properly one day but I guess not.) Flood was phenomenal as always, and the highlight of the show and since it was the only Undertow song, that made it even better. Lateralus was great as always, and while I feel the drum-off thing is a little out played now, it was still entertaining and the drummer from Tweak Bird was pretty damn good. The laser show was exceptional as always, but I feel like TOOL is tied down too much by their video and laser show, which is probably some of the reason they've become stagnated and only play the same set list time and time again now. However, the biggest disappointment was the fact that TOOL's set didn't even last two hours, just under the two hour mark by 10 minutes. Some of the songs felt really rushed. Would it hurt to play the two intros to Third Eye and just jam out for another 10 - 15 minutes on Third Eye? Probably not, but that won't happen for a while.

Would I see them again? Of course. Would I see them again knowing the entire play list before I go? Of course. Considering how rare it is to see them, I'll go every opportunity I get. I just wish they would do something for the long time fans, and not continue to feed the radio masses who flood their shows and very obviously know not a lick of old TOOL songs. Thankfully I had some good fans around me this time, but there were a few in front of me who kept leaving to get beer (spend 70 bucks a ticket and you leave in the middle of a song to get a beer - stupid) and so that was annoying. Not as bad as my seats on the floor at the Toyota Center though in 2007, where the group next to me sat down when Flood started playing because they didn't know the song.

Guess we'll see what happens in the next year or two, hopefully if they put out a new album it will be along the lines of Undertow or AEnema and not 10K Days.

EDIT: Speaking of which, does anyone have a copy of the set list for the 2002 show in the Summit? I think it was 2002, when Tomahawk opened for them during the Lateralus tour. Thanks.

Last edited by concretodisciple; 07-25-2009 at 09:49 AM..
Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Having seen TOOL for the 6th time now, I'm slightly frustrated with TOOL.

It appears to me they've grown stagnant and refuse to play anything outside the same set list they've been playing for basically the last 2 -3 years, since 10,000 Days came out. This is slightly troubling for me since tickets for TOOL are not the cheapest and they rarely come to Houston anymore and so I'm forced to travel all over the beautiful state of Texas to see what was once and still are to some extent, my favorite band. As a long time listener to TOOL I dream of seeing Maynard playing for three to four hours and only playing stuff off of Opiate, Undertow and AEnema (and a few Lateralus songs - leave the 10K Days stuff for the radio poseurs who only hear a few of the singles and think they're fans.) I would clear my bank account to go to a TOOL show that wasn't filled with boring songs like Rosetta Stoned (a great album song, so boring in arena shows since you can barely discern what the hell Maynard is saying anyways) or Schism (the song that in my mind destroyed TOOL in a way.) Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but I want to hear classic songs, like Eulogy, Opiate, Cold and Ugly, Sweat, Third Eye, Prison Sex, Swamp Song, Pushit, even Sober.

With that in mind, this is probably the first show I've been to of TOOL's that I left feeling unsatisfied. I saw them previously in 2007 at the Toyota Center and I felt that show was really good (considering they had a new set list from the previous time I saw them which was a few years back.) Even though I wasn't on the floor for the San Antonio show, it didn't really matter much. Maynard's vocals were overpowered for the most part by Adam and Justin (which is a huge problem I've had with every arena show I've been to in the past - you figured they'd learn how to do the vocals for an arena show properly one day but I guess not.) Flood was phenomenal as always, and the highlight of the show and since it was the only Undertow song, that made it even better. Lateralus was great as always, and while I feel the drum-off thing is a little out played now, it was still entertaining and the drummer from Tweak Bird was pretty damn good. The laser show was exceptional as always, but I feel like TOOL is tied down too much by their video and laser show, which is probably some of the reason they've become stagnated and only play the same set list time and time again now. However, the biggest disappointment was the fact that TOOL's set didn't even last two hours, just under the two hour mark by 10 minutes. Some of the songs felt really rushed. Would it hurt to play the two intros to Third Eye and just jam out for another 10 - 15 minutes on Third Eye? Probably not, but that won't happen for a while.

Would I see them again? Of course. Would I see them again knowing the entire play list before I go? Of course. Considering how rare it is to see them, I'll go every opportunity I get. I just wish they would do something for the long time fans, and not continue to feed the radio masses who flood their shows and very obviously know not a lick of old TOOL songs. Thankfully I had some good fans around me this time, but there were a few in front of me who kept leaving to get beer (spend 70 bucks a ticket and you leave in the middle of a song to get a beer - stupid) and so that was annoying. Not as bad as my seats on the floor at the Toyota Center though in 2007, where the group next to me sat down when Flood started playing because they didn't know the song.

Guess we'll see what happens in the next year or two, hopefully if they put out a new album it will be along the lines of Undertow or AEnema and not 10K Days.

EDIT: Speaking of which, does anyone have a copy of the set list for the 2002 show in the Summit? I think it was 2002, when Tomahawk opened for them during the Lateralus tour. Thanks.

Last edited by concretodisciple; 07-25-2009 at 09:49 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Migs22
07-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Re:::

" Saw them for my 27th time in PHX. Heading to Chi town for Lolla" Way to break it down "lzep86"

Could not of put it better myself brother....
Old 07-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Re:::

" Saw them for my 27th time in PHX. Heading to Chi town for Lolla" Way to break it down "lzep86"

Could not of put it better myself brother....
OFFLINE |  
parabolaus
07-25-2009, 10:53 AM

I've got a bunch of good and a few bad things to say about this show:

1. The acoustics at the AT&T Center depend on where you are in relation to the speakers. We were in section 209 and the sound was mediocre because we were almost ABOVE the speakers.

2. The people around me and my buddy were some of the rudest people I have ever encountered - they were texting,talking and moving around to get drinks the whole show and it really killed the vibe at times for me.

3. The guys were on last night. I have seen Tool three times and I was fortunate to see AEnima live.

4. I thought the energy of the show fluctuated quite a bit throughout but the guys put everything they had into the last four songs of the night and it apparent.

5. This was my buddy's first show and he had an amazing time.

I will be there when they come back around for sure, this was one hell of a show - and don't forget the Michael Jackson comments! And of course, the Maynardism of the night "let the drumsturbation begin!." Classic!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

I've got a bunch of good and a few bad things to say about this show:

1. The acoustics at the AT&T Center depend on where you are in relation to the speakers. We were in section 209 and the sound was mediocre because we were almost ABOVE the speakers.

2. The people around me and my buddy were some of the rudest people I have ever encountered - they were texting,talking and moving around to get drinks the whole show and it really killed the vibe at times for me.

3. The guys were on last night. I have seen Tool three times and I was fortunate to see AEnima live.

4. I thought the energy of the show fluctuated quite a bit throughout but the guys put everything they had into the last four songs of the night and it apparent.

5. This was my buddy's first show and he had an amazing time.

I will be there when they come back around for sure, this was one hell of a show - and don't forget the Michael Jackson comments! And of course, the Maynardism of the night "let the drumsturbation begin!." Classic!
OFFLINE |  
Telos_Infinity
07-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Renegrenade played the proper devil's advocate. It is quite clear that Maynard has checked out. I seriously understand that people go through transitions in their lives and that fire can die out from within. Although I personally think it's his vocal ability that has forced that transition. The band has been around for almost two decades and the natural toll of age plays a big part. It's still so amazing to see Danny still go at it. He is still the backbone of the band.

As far as audio goes the AT&T center sucks. I didn't understand a single word Maynard was saying. Of course Rosetta Stoned just sounded like a monkey in a blender. The clearest moment I had was when I went to take a leak during Flood. I swear it sounded so clear in the restroom compared to the inside. I did enjoy the slight visuals change up. We had a laser point directly on us at some points.

All in all I can't and won't get angry. We all had the choice to buy the tickets and realizing that from the start of this mini-tour it was quite clear that nothing new was in store for us. As for people complaining about fans that just goes with the territory. You get that many people in one area probability just kicks in naturally (although I still can't believe someone peed in the crowd). Luckily in out seats we were around some very humble people and all of us just collectively absorbed the music.

We all must admit that things are different now and it's probably gonna stay that way. Luckily we do have one more album coming our way (hopefully) so we'll see how this goes. I did like the fact that Danny came out in a Tim Duncan jersey again. Haha and Justin must've been drunk off his ass to come back out in that sombrero. Given all this I think I might add one thing........I'm pretty sure I lost my keys at the AT&T center.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Renegrenade played the proper devil's advocate. It is quite clear that Maynard has checked out. I seriously understand that people go through transitions in their lives and that fire can die out from within. Although I personally think it's his vocal ability that has forced that transition. The band has been around for almost two decades and the natural toll of age plays a big part. It's still so amazing to see Danny still go at it. He is still the backbone of the band.

As far as audio goes the AT&T center sucks. I didn't understand a single word Maynard was saying. Of course Rosetta Stoned just sounded like a monkey in a blender. The clearest moment I had was when I went to take a leak during Flood. I swear it sounded so clear in the restroom compared to the inside. I did enjoy the slight visuals change up. We had a laser point directly on us at some points.

All in all I can't and won't get angry. We all had the choice to buy the tickets and realizing that from the start of this mini-tour it was quite clear that nothing new was in store for us. As for people complaining about fans that just goes with the territory. You get that many people in one area probability just kicks in naturally (although I still can't believe someone peed in the crowd). Luckily in out seats we were around some very humble people and all of us just collectively absorbed the music.

We all must admit that things are different now and it's probably gonna stay that way. Luckily we do have one more album coming our way (hopefully) so we'll see how this goes. I did like the fact that Danny came out in a Tim Duncan jersey again. Haha and Justin must've been drunk off his ass to come back out in that sombrero. Given all this I think I might add one thing........I'm pretty sure I lost my keys at the AT&T center.
OFFLINE |  
07-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Okay, now that I've gotten some sleep...

Once again, an amazing show. This was my 4th show, and in the 4th state, too! (NC, WV, CA, and now TX).

My husband and I were in section 200, right up front. It was nice not having anyone sitting in front of us, and we had a good, center view.

Tweak Bird was alright, would have been better had they stuck to playing the instruments, and left the vocals out. Not impressed with the vocals, at all.

Jambi is still a powerful opening song. Gives off a great energy to start the show off.

Stinkfist was a major highlight for me. First time seeing live, and it was nothing short of awesome! I'm pretty sure it was during this song that they threw in the first few notes of Eulogy? Did anyone else hear that? It may have been during something else, but I'm pretty sure it was towards the end of Stinkfist. What a tease!

46&2, wonderful as ever. Schism was very good, of course the crowd sang along to this one.
Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned were pretty good. Maynard speaking into the megaphone was jumbled, at best. He could have easily been making turkey sounds and we wouldn't have known! Ha. Flood was powerful, and the sound was very good for this one.

Aenema, the other major highlight for me. The crowd was totally into this one, maybe the most out of any other song during the night. Definitely awesome live, and was a wonderful treat.

Lateralus was great, but didn't really move me like it normally does. The "drumsterbation" was okay, but I remember other drum offs being better (ie: the drum off with Big Business drummer in WV). What was Maynard saying about the Make a Wish foundation? Sounded like he said the suest drummer was from the Make a Wish Foundation, and it was his last wish, or something. Couldn't make out all of it.

And finally, Vicarious. I, too, agree that the final lyrics should have been sung, but hey, it was still great.

The crowd was awesome. The energy in the arena was really strong, and it made for an even better show. As far as leaving the venue, yeah, it was pretty quick, but once we got out onto the street, it was like the drunk morons took over the road. Saw 3 near accidents, because people were just being pushy assholes.

So, overall, amazing show. The band was right on, and seemed to be really into the music. Maynard's singing was just a little different, maybe more melodic? Either way, it was all great.

Maynard's random speaking (as best as I can recall):
"So you all have nothing better to do on a Friday night?"

"I want to try an experiment. Let's do an experiment. Imagine this is your apartment, and everyone here is your roommate. So, pick up your underwear, do your own dishes, and look out for your roommates."

"Anyone here any good Michael Jackson jokes lately? Is it too soon? Is that bad taste? Is there a time frame you have to wait before it's funny?"

"Oh, and the dog shit in the spare bedroom, FYI. May want to clean that up before mom comes over."

***"Thank you for coming out. Rather, thank you for having us IN."

Last edited by EyesOfAFallenAngel; 07-25-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #24
Level 10 - Vehement

Okay, now that I've gotten some sleep...

Once again, an amazing show. This was my 4th show, and in the 4th state, too! (NC, WV, CA, and now TX).

My husband and I were in section 200, right up front. It was nice not having anyone sitting in front of us, and we had a good, center view.

Tweak Bird was alright, would have been better had they stuck to playing the instruments, and left the vocals out. Not impressed with the vocals, at all.

Jambi is still a powerful opening song. Gives off a great energy to start the show off.

Stinkfist was a major highlight for me. First time seeing live, and it was nothing short of awesome! I'm pretty sure it was during this song that they threw in the first few notes of Eulogy? Did anyone else hear that? It may have been during something else, but I'm pretty sure it was towards the end of Stinkfist. What a tease!

46&2, wonderful as ever. Schism was very good, of course the crowd sang along to this one.
Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned were pretty good. Maynard speaking into the megaphone was jumbled, at best. He could have easily been making turkey sounds and we wouldn't have known! Ha. Flood was powerful, and the sound was very good for this one.

Aenema, the other major highlight for me. The crowd was totally into this one, maybe the most out of any other song during the night. Definitely awesome live, and was a wonderful treat.

Lateralus was great, but didn't really move me like it normally does. The "drumsterbation" was okay, but I remember other drum offs being better (ie: the drum off with Big Business drummer in WV). What was Maynard saying about the Make a Wish foundation? Sounded like he said the suest drummer was from the Make a Wish Foundation, and it was his last wish, or something. Couldn't make out all of it.

And finally, Vicarious. I, too, agree that the final lyrics should have been sung, but hey, it was still great.

The crowd was awesome. The energy in the arena was really strong, and it made for an even better show. As far as leaving the venue, yeah, it was pretty quick, but once we got out onto the street, it was like the drunk morons took over the road. Saw 3 near accidents, because people were just being pushy assholes.

So, overall, amazing show. The band was right on, and seemed to be really into the music. Maynard's singing was just a little different, maybe more melodic? Either way, it was all great.

Maynard's random speaking (as best as I can recall):
"So you all have nothing better to do on a Friday night?"

"I want to try an experiment. Let's do an experiment. Imagine this is your apartment, and everyone here is your roommate. So, pick up your underwear, do your own dishes, and look out for your roommates."

"Anyone here any good Michael Jackson jokes lately? Is it too soon? Is that bad taste? Is there a time frame you have to wait before it's funny?"

"Oh, and the dog shit in the spare bedroom, FYI. May want to clean that up before mom comes over."

***"Thank you for coming out. Rather, thank you for having us IN."

Last edited by EyesOfAFallenAngel; 07-25-2009 at 12:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
spontaneous-combustion
07-25-2009, 12:14 PM

this was my first ever tool show!
it was the most amazing experience of my life, so i find it hard to imagine how good they must have been in the "good ol days" the veterins compared it to.
i was up on the balcony and must have gotten lucky because the acoustics were pretty damn good.
i noticed some problems but they were very minor and most likely the fault of a lazy tech.
kudos to the at&t center for setting up a quick getaway
roomates were pretty cool. i dident get pissed on, and they were down with herb.
i couldent understand what maynard was sayin when he talked between songs due to the crazy screaming in the audience.
the lazers blew my mind completely, along with the drums and every thing else.
good setlist, lateralus was amazing.
everything was amazing.
the next time they come to texas im gonna be there because an experience like this cant be missed
tool is one of the only current bands who put musicianship before all else. the songs have true meaning. no stupid love songs, they are very spiritual and deep.
see you all at the next show!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

this was my first ever tool show!
it was the most amazing experience of my life, so i find it hard to imagine how good they must have been in the "good ol days" the veterins compared it to.
i was up on the balcony and must have gotten lucky because the acoustics were pretty damn good.
i noticed some problems but they were very minor and most likely the fault of a lazy tech.
kudos to the at&t center for setting up a quick getaway
roomates were pretty cool. i dident get pissed on, and they were down with herb.
i couldent understand what maynard was sayin when he talked between songs due to the crazy screaming in the audience.
the lazers blew my mind completely, along with the drums and every thing else.
good setlist, lateralus was amazing.
everything was amazing.
the next time they come to texas im gonna be there because an experience like this cant be missed
tool is one of the only current bands who put musicianship before all else. the songs have true meaning. no stupid love songs, they are very spiritual and deep.
see you all at the next show!
withSpirit
07-25-2009, 03:54 PM

This was a fantastic show. Even though the vocals were mixed a little low, this is the best I've heard Maynard sing live since 2002. While he's obviously lost some of his high range, his voice has loosened up a lot in the past week, and he was spot on key all night. He was also considerably more talkative than he was in 06 and 07.

Strangely, I've seen a couple of reviews saying the show was sloppy- It was not. Take it from a trained drummer who is OCD about note placement and musical precision...this show was very, very tight. Each member of the band showed his skill, as an individual and as part of a team. The musical prowess of Tool is second to none. The acoustics in the AT&T Center were a little muddled, but not nearly enough to mask how brilliantly the band played all night. Let me say, for the record, if you are considering selling your tickets because of the redundant set list, you should not. The new visuals, particularly the new laser action and the Vicarious video, are absolutely worth going to see, even if you've heard the songs live in the past. Superbly done, Junior.

As far as each of the songs, Jambi was incredible. Stinkfist isn't as dynamic of a song, so it sounded a little noisy, but that was probably the low point of the show. 46 & 2 had a lot of energy, and Maynard seemed to really get into the vocals. Schism was beautiful, and Maynard was actually able to sing the 2nd and 3rd verses and the climax without struggling much at all, which is rare. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned were just ecstasy, though like everyone else has noted, I couldn't understand any of the rapid vocal sections. He has changed the lyrics. Flood and Aenema were both spot on. Lateralus simply couldn't have been any better, and was probably the most energetic part of the show. Justin put on a massive cowboy hat (for Texas) and faked a jump kick at Danny's drum kit. The drum solo extension was well played by both Danny Carey and the drummer from Tweakbird (even though Tweakbird as a band is atrociously boring and pretty much devoid of any melody). Maynard obviously did not sing the end of Vicarious, but the song sounded as tight as the album, enough said.

I didn't notice too much improv or extra energy from Adam tonight, but Justin very engaged, as was Maynard. I would like to take a second to say that Danny Carey's playing is simply the pinnacle of percussion. There is no one better, anywhere, ever. My sister and girlfriend, both whom are highly skilled musicians, were completely blown away by the fact that he NAILED every single note, and even improvised during some of the more difficult, usually concrete polymetric sections. When you haven't seen Tool before, as they hadn't, it's hard to imagine somebody actually playing all of that live. Last night, Danny Carey did that, and then some. I've seen Tool several times, and I think this was probably the best I've seen him play. He just gets better with age.

Great show all around. The high points for me were definitely the whole of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Lateralus. After a rough couple of first dates, and despite the fact that I had already heard all of the songs live before, Tool have skyrocketed right back to being the best live band in the world, and they remain the best band in the world, in my opinion.

By the way, (-)Ions was played between Jambi and Stinkfist if no one has yet mentioned that.

I would also like to add the following:
I've seen a couple of reviews insulting the 10,000 Days album. To those reviewers, I say you had better start getting over it. 10,000 Days is musical genius, and Tool know it. They've said it's much closer to the album they want to make than any of the older albums were. The "veteran" or "old school" fans don't like it, because it's not the simplistic bullshit they grew up with that was on Opiate, and Undertow to an extent. These songs on 10,000 Days are the most technically elaborate and musically sophisticated that Tool have ever written, and that is why they choose to play them live. They have reached the point where they want to convey intelligence, beauty, intensity, and complexity, rather than conveying the relatively directionless anger and aggression of their early music. If you think the epics like Wings for Marie/10k Days, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two are boring, then I would assert that you are not worthy of Tool. You do not have the patience to appreciate their greatest art so far, and you do not have the intelligence to process it. I would suggest re-evaluating your feelings for this incredible band that you claim to love, because they are absolutely evolving further in the direction of the 10,000 Days album.

Last edited by withSpirit; 07-25-2009 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #26

This was a fantastic show. Even though the vocals were mixed a little low, this is the best I've heard Maynard sing live since 2002. While he's obviously lost some of his high range, his voice has loosened up a lot in the past week, and he was spot on key all night. He was also considerably more talkative than he was in 06 and 07.

Strangely, I've seen a couple of reviews saying the show was sloppy- It was not. Take it from a trained drummer who is OCD about note placement and musical precision...this show was very, very tight. Each member of the band showed his skill, as an individual and as part of a team. The musical prowess of Tool is second to none. The acoustics in the AT&T Center were a little muddled, but not nearly enough to mask how brilliantly the band played all night. Let me say, for the record, if you are considering selling your tickets because of the redundant set list, you should not. The new visuals, particularly the new laser action and the Vicarious video, are absolutely worth going to see, even if you've heard the songs live in the past. Superbly done, Junior.

As far as each of the songs, Jambi was incredible. Stinkfist isn't as dynamic of a song, so it sounded a little noisy, but that was probably the low point of the show. 46 & 2 had a lot of energy, and Maynard seemed to really get into the vocals. Schism was beautiful, and Maynard was actually able to sing the 2nd and 3rd verses and the climax without struggling much at all, which is rare. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned were just ecstasy, though like everyone else has noted, I couldn't understand any of the rapid vocal sections. He has changed the lyrics. Flood and Aenema were both spot on. Lateralus simply couldn't have been any better, and was probably the most energetic part of the show. Justin put on a massive cowboy hat (for Texas) and faked a jump kick at Danny's drum kit. The drum solo extension was well played by both Danny Carey and the drummer from Tweakbird (even though Tweakbird as a band is atrociously boring and pretty much devoid of any melody). Maynard obviously did not sing the end of Vicarious, but the song sounded as tight as the album, enough said.

I didn't notice too much improv or extra energy from Adam tonight, but Justin very engaged, as was Maynard. I would like to take a second to say that Danny Carey's playing is simply the pinnacle of percussion. There is no one better, anywhere, ever. My sister and girlfriend, both whom are highly skilled musicians, were completely blown away by the fact that he NAILED every single note, and even improvised during some of the more difficult, usually concrete polymetric sections. When you haven't seen Tool before, as they hadn't, it's hard to imagine somebody actually playing all of that live. Last night, Danny Carey did that, and then some. I've seen Tool several times, and I think this was probably the best I've seen him play. He just gets better with age.

Great show all around. The high points for me were definitely the whole of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Lateralus. After a rough couple of first dates, and despite the fact that I had already heard all of the songs live before, Tool have skyrocketed right back to being the best live band in the world, and they remain the best band in the world, in my opinion.

By the way, (-)Ions was played between Jambi and Stinkfist if no one has yet mentioned that.

I would also like to add the following:
I've seen a couple of reviews insulting the 10,000 Days album. To those reviewers, I say you had better start getting over it. 10,000 Days is musical genius, and Tool know it. They've said it's much closer to the album they want to make than any of the older albums were. The "veteran" or "old school" fans don't like it, because it's not the simplistic bullshit they grew up with that was on Opiate, and Undertow to an extent. These songs on 10,000 Days are the most technically elaborate and musically sophisticated that Tool have ever written, and that is why they choose to play them live. They have reached the point where they want to convey intelligence, beauty, intensity, and complexity, rather than conveying the relatively directionless anger and aggression of their early music. If you think the epics like Wings for Marie/10k Days, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two are boring, then I would assert that you are not worthy of Tool. You do not have the patience to appreciate their greatest art so far, and you do not have the intelligence to process it. I would suggest re-evaluating your feelings for this incredible band that you claim to love, because they are absolutely evolving further in the direction of the 10,000 Days album.

Last edited by withSpirit; 07-25-2009 at 04:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
withSpirit
07-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI View Post
ahahahahahah what
I would suggest maybe taking a basic music class before you ridicule me. If you think anything on Opiate or Undertow is more technically sophisticated than the 10,000 Days compositions (except maybe the Pot...maybe), then you're musically illiterate. It's just an objective fact that any formally educated musician will attest to. There are people who like Tool because they're heavy, loud, aggressive, and (formerly) pretty much anti-establishment; and then there are those people who like Tool because they are virtuosos at their instruments, write complex arrangements, and are more musically intelligent than almost anyone on the planet. You are the first type, and I am the second.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI View Post
ahahahahahah what
I would suggest maybe taking a basic music class before you ridicule me. If you think anything on Opiate or Undertow is more technically sophisticated than the 10,000 Days compositions (except maybe the Pot...maybe), then you're musically illiterate. It's just an objective fact that any formally educated musician will attest to. There are people who like Tool because they're heavy, loud, aggressive, and (formerly) pretty much anti-establishment; and then there are those people who like Tool because they are virtuosos at their instruments, write complex arrangements, and are more musically intelligent than almost anyone on the planet. You are the first type, and I am the second.
OFFLINE |  
sexwithfurniture's Avatar sexwithfurniture
07-25-2009, 08:37 PM

As many times as I've seen them, honestly, I do not have the most musically discerning ear. Can't play an instrument blahblah for shit and can't nitpick. Everytime, they always sound fucking great, no matter the venue. I know, I guess I'm lame like that. I always walk away feeling blessed. This show, I fucking thought the BAND was so spot on. Most, if not all, of the complaints are about the vocals. I know it's the backbone and shit-it was awesome enough to me, but just as much as TOOL is nothing without Maynard, TOOL is nothing without Justin, Adam, and don't get me started on that fucking beast Danny. Justin was fucking amazing last night. Way too underrated/looked-over. Also, I think I'm one of the few that rarely focuses on the "visuals" my eyes are always fixated on the band. Am I? Be interesting to know. Nonetheless, kudos to the entire production team, they're a huge part of why there's not another band better live. By far.

Last edited by sexwithfurniture; 07-25-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

As many times as I've seen them, honestly, I do not have the most musically discerning ear. Can't play an instrument blahblah for shit and can't nitpick. Everytime, they always sound fucking great, no matter the venue. I know, I guess I'm lame like that. I always walk away feeling blessed. This show, I fucking thought the BAND was so spot on. Most, if not all, of the complaints are about the vocals. I know it's the backbone and shit-it was awesome enough to me, but just as much as TOOL is nothing without Maynard, TOOL is nothing without Justin, Adam, and don't get me started on that fucking beast Danny. Justin was fucking amazing last night. Way too underrated/looked-over. Also, I think I'm one of the few that rarely focuses on the "visuals" my eyes are always fixated on the band. Am I? Be interesting to know. Nonetheless, kudos to the entire production team, they're a huge part of why there's not another band better live. By far.

Last edited by sexwithfurniture; 07-25-2009 at 08:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
cybergimp
07-26-2009, 12:10 AM

awesome show, seen them multiple times and they get better and better every year. i was aboout 3 people back from the rail - this was the closest ive ever been. my cousine drove to dallas this afternoon. he called me at 11:00 p.m. and said maynard was wearing a speedo instead of what looked like a leather get-up at the san antonio show. i read a lot of people wondering what he was saying and that the vocals were low, i heard everything, and he did improvise quite a few lyrics throughout the show. i remember him asking if anyone has heard any good michael jackson jokes latly? is there a time frame?" and also "thanks for coming out, scratch that, thanks for inviting us in!" he also said alot of stuff about picking up your clothes and underwear and putting them back on, cleaning up after yourself and looking out for your roomate. also that your mom is coming over and to clean the guest bedroom, clean up the dog shit and put away the bong." lol classic maynardisms. also when he introduced the tweakbird drummer he called him the runner up for the make a wsih foundation and to "let the drumsterbation begin," and at the dallas show he said let the drum fagoetry begin when they did the solo(s). the end.

oh yeah, no one saw justin throw this pick but me, i was the only person that actually bent down to pick it up.

edit> i was standing about three people back from the rail in between justin and danny.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...nspickTOOL.jpg

Last edited by cybergimp; 07-26-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

awesome show, seen them multiple times and they get better and better every year. i was aboout 3 people back from the rail - this was the closest ive ever been. my cousine drove to dallas this afternoon. he called me at 11:00 p.m. and said maynard was wearing a speedo instead of what looked like a leather get-up at the san antonio show. i read a lot of people wondering what he was saying and that the vocals were low, i heard everything, and he did improvise quite a few lyrics throughout the show. i remember him asking if anyone has heard any good michael jackson jokes latly? is there a time frame?" and also "thanks for coming out, scratch that, thanks for inviting us in!" he also said alot of stuff about picking up your clothes and underwear and putting them back on, cleaning up after yourself and looking out for your roomate. also that your mom is coming over and to clean the guest bedroom, clean up the dog shit and put away the bong." lol classic maynardisms. also when he introduced the tweakbird drummer he called him the runner up for the make a wsih foundation and to "let the drumsterbation begin," and at the dallas show he said let the drum fagoetry begin when they did the solo(s). the end.

oh yeah, no one saw justin throw this pick but me, i was the only person that actually bent down to pick it up.

edit> i was standing about three people back from the rail in between justin and danny.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...nspickTOOL.jpg

Last edited by cybergimp; 07-26-2009 at 06:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
dave-tx
07-26-2009, 12:36 PM

Lots of good posts here. I'd agree with many points made by others. My seat was just off the corner of the stage by Justin, and he absolutely rocked the entire night. It was a treat watching him up close. Flood just killed.

I must have been sitting right near cybergimp, because I saw someone right by me get plunked with the pick, and nobody really make a move to get it.

I didn't notice at the time, but a friend mentioned that Maynard's lyrics and the end of 46&2 were "Forty-six and two...is Forty-eight". Anyone else hear that?

As was mentioned, I thought the acoustics weren't great, especially in relation to the vocals. The additional use of the megaphone didn't help. Vocals were much clearer at the Dallas show. I was also a bit annoyed at the lack of an attempt at singing the end of Vicarious.

Overall, very enjoyable show. I would have been happier with a twist to the setlist, but I don't regret going (not by a long shot).

I thought Tweak Bird was outstanding, by the way. Those guys have clearly listened to their Melvins discs a few times.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Lots of good posts here. I'd agree with many points made by others. My seat was just off the corner of the stage by Justin, and he absolutely rocked the entire night. It was a treat watching him up close. Flood just killed.

I must have been sitting right near cybergimp, because I saw someone right by me get plunked with the pick, and nobody really make a move to get it.

I didn't notice at the time, but a friend mentioned that Maynard's lyrics and the end of 46&2 were "Forty-six and two...is Forty-eight". Anyone else hear that?

As was mentioned, I thought the acoustics weren't great, especially in relation to the vocals. The additional use of the megaphone didn't help. Vocals were much clearer at the Dallas show. I was also a bit annoyed at the lack of an attempt at singing the end of Vicarious.

Overall, very enjoyable show. I would have been happier with a twist to the setlist, but I don't regret going (not by a long shot).

I thought Tweak Bird was outstanding, by the way. Those guys have clearly listened to their Melvins discs a few times.
OFFLINE |  
07-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-tx View Post

Ah, yeah I forgot about that. My husband and I both heard it, and kind of looked at each other, like what did he just say?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #31
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-tx View Post

Ah, yeah I forgot about that. My husband and I both heard it, and kind of looked at each other, like what did he just say?

OFFLINE |  
MH80
07-26-2009, 01:38 PM

I arrived at the ATT Center just before 6 p.m. and to my surprise I found an entrance on the southwest corner where only 5 or 6 people were waiting in line in front of me. Once the doors opened I headed to the floor and was able to secure a spot directly in front of where Justin would be on the rail. I have never been that close for a show, and I must say it was pretty amazing.

Overall the show was good, but what I was most impressed with was the emotion that the guys were putting into the show. Justin goes out of his way to really connect with the fans and although Adam isn't as outgoing he seems to always be in awe and appreciate all the support.
Maynard was pretty active as well and had some funny things to say.

And to top it all off I caught one of Danny's drum sticks. I also caught Justin's set list and pick. This may have been stupid, but I decided to give the guitar pick to a couple next to me, and the set list to a guy behind me. I guess Maynard's speech about us all being roomates was stuck in my head.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

I arrived at the ATT Center just before 6 p.m. and to my surprise I found an entrance on the southwest corner where only 5 or 6 people were waiting in line in front of me. Once the doors opened I headed to the floor and was able to secure a spot directly in front of where Justin would be on the rail. I have never been that close for a show, and I must say it was pretty amazing.

Overall the show was good, but what I was most impressed with was the emotion that the guys were putting into the show. Justin goes out of his way to really connect with the fans and although Adam isn't as outgoing he seems to always be in awe and appreciate all the support.
Maynard was pretty active as well and had some funny things to say.

And to top it all off I caught one of Danny's drum sticks. I also caught Justin's set list and pick. This may have been stupid, but I decided to give the guitar pick to a couple next to me, and the set list to a guy behind me. I guess Maynard's speech about us all being roomates was stuck in my head.
OFFLINE |  
PiperMaru
07-26-2009, 01:39 PM

[Something I noticed before the show kicked off was a Peter Gabriel song playing in the background. It made me curious, because if any of you have ever seen old footage of Peter Gabriel in his Genesis days, he used to dance very much like Maynard does on stage.] (And is the stage crew usually in white lab coats or white scrubs?)
Anyway, I hadn't seen Tool since 2002, and I had to travel a couple of hours to see them. It was well worth it. I loved that Adam and Justin were all in white like the stage floor, reflecting all the lighting visuals on themselves too. It was cool to see Danny wearing the hometown team's Duncan's Spurs white jersey. Then Maynard all in black, with the mohawk and the shades....AWESOME to see!!! I love his moves, his crouching down and holding that position with the music, and I love seeing him stomp his foot with the drumbeats. I was sitting on Justin's side of the arena. At one point Justin makes a heart shape with his hands and fingers and "throws" it back out to that side of the crowd...too cute for words:).
Justin was wearing a 10-gallon cowboy hat BTW, not an Indian hat as someone else mentioned. I was thrilled to hear Rosetta Stoned, even though the vocals at the beginning were hard to make out. Looked like Maynard was having trouble with that voice-changer machine-thingy. And thank you for playing Lateralis; It was an amazing experience.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

[Something I noticed before the show kicked off was a Peter Gabriel song playing in the background. It made me curious, because if any of you have ever seen old footage of Peter Gabriel in his Genesis days, he used to dance very much like Maynard does on stage.] (And is the stage crew usually in white lab coats or white scrubs?)
Anyway, I hadn't seen Tool since 2002, and I had to travel a couple of hours to see them. It was well worth it. I loved that Adam and Justin were all in white like the stage floor, reflecting all the lighting visuals on themselves too. It was cool to see Danny wearing the hometown team's Duncan's Spurs white jersey. Then Maynard all in black, with the mohawk and the shades....AWESOME to see!!! I love his moves, his crouching down and holding that position with the music, and I love seeing him stomp his foot with the drumbeats. I was sitting on Justin's side of the arena. At one point Justin makes a heart shape with his hands and fingers and "throws" it back out to that side of the crowd...too cute for words:).
Justin was wearing a 10-gallon cowboy hat BTW, not an Indian hat as someone else mentioned. I was thrilled to hear Rosetta Stoned, even though the vocals at the beginning were hard to make out. Looked like Maynard was having trouble with that voice-changer machine-thingy. And thank you for playing Lateralis; It was an amazing experience.
OFFLINE |  
CodeXE
07-26-2009, 05:15 PM

I too heard the Peter Gabriel song before showtime. Games Without Frontiers I think was the song.

3rd time seeing Tool. Excellent show!!!
My sis and I drove in Thursday night from Lafayette, LA. 6-7 hour drive.

We had the pleasure of meeting Adam on Friday afternoon by the riverwalk. We just waved at him and he came over to us and just talked for a few. Extremely nice, personable guy!

I also met a couple from Cincinatti that flew down for the show and were also making the Dallas show the following night. I thought that was cool. Not sure if you guys are a member here, never got a name.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

I too heard the Peter Gabriel song before showtime. Games Without Frontiers I think was the song.

3rd time seeing Tool. Excellent show!!!
My sis and I drove in Thursday night from Lafayette, LA. 6-7 hour drive.

We had the pleasure of meeting Adam on Friday afternoon by the riverwalk. We just waved at him and he came over to us and just talked for a few. Extremely nice, personable guy!

I also met a couple from Cincinatti that flew down for the show and were also making the Dallas show the following night. I thought that was cool. Not sure if you guys are a member here, never got a name.
OFFLINE |  
mikemccary
07-26-2009, 06:01 PM

I have to say this is my 3rd Tool show and was the best by far! I was riding rail in front of Justin, had a 400 pound man pushing on my back.. didnt feel too good but I didnt care. Awesome show, had no complains but the fat guy.

Shout out to Doug!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

I have to say this is my 3rd Tool show and was the best by far! I was riding rail in front of Justin, had a 400 pound man pushing on my back.. didnt feel too good but I didnt care. Awesome show, had no complains but the fat guy.

Shout out to Doug!
OFFLINE |  
[PhoboS]'s Avatar [PhoboS]
07-27-2009, 06:50 AM

Great show, not the best I have seen, (Nothing will ever compare to the debacle that was Peoria, ILL last tour) but I had a great time and enjoyed every minute of it.... except for the end, like others have mentioned... If you are gonna leave us with Vicarious at least sing the last part... I mean... come on that was retarded... Even though the set list was the same ol' same ol' the energy in there was high... then we get blue balled on the final verse of the last song.... come on Maynard!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Great show, not the best I have seen, (Nothing will ever compare to the debacle that was Peoria, ILL last tour) but I had a great time and enjoyed every minute of it.... except for the end, like others have mentioned... If you are gonna leave us with Vicarious at least sing the last part... I mean... come on that was retarded... Even though the set list was the same ol' same ol' the energy in there was high... then we get blue balled on the final verse of the last song.... come on Maynard!
OFFLINE |  
el-kabong
07-27-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
The Lodge

Danny is into the occult. He plays by an ancient symbol and inside the symbol is a demon that he summoned.

"Despite not becoming a Mason or aligning himself with any other school of religion, Danny has maintained his heritages interest in occult studies. Endeavors into this realm have manifested periodically, such as the time he achieved insight into a hidden aspect of the unicursal hexagram utilizing an astral journey initiated through meditation and DMT.

Danny then set up his drums into proportions utilizing the circle and square of the New Jerusalem and uttered a short prayer relating to the principles of the ace of swords from the book of Thoth. He then performed a ritual utilizing his new found knowledge of the unicursal hexagram to generate a pattern of movement in space relating to Fuller's vector equilibrium model. The resulting rhythm and gateway summoned a daemon he has contained within "the Lodge" that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within the Book of Lies. Danny recommends as a device of protection and containment a thorough study and utilization of the underlying geometry of the Temple of Solomon for anyone purchasing their next record."
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
The Lodge

Danny is into the occult. He plays by an ancient symbol and inside the symbol is a demon that he summoned.

"Despite not becoming a Mason or aligning himself with any other school of religion, Danny has maintained his heritages interest in occult studies. Endeavors into this realm have manifested periodically, such as the time he achieved insight into a hidden aspect of the unicursal hexagram utilizing an astral journey initiated through meditation and DMT.

Danny then set up his drums into proportions utilizing the circle and square of the New Jerusalem and uttered a short prayer relating to the principles of the ace of swords from the book of Thoth. He then performed a ritual utilizing his new found knowledge of the unicursal hexagram to generate a pattern of movement in space relating to Fuller's vector equilibrium model. The resulting rhythm and gateway summoned a daemon he has contained within "the Lodge" that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within the Book of Lies. Danny recommends as a device of protection and containment a thorough study and utilization of the underlying geometry of the Temple of Solomon for anyone purchasing their next record."
OFFLINE |  
r6isnum1's Avatar r6isnum1
07-27-2009, 12:17 PM

This was my 11th show. Drove from Dallas and just barely made it to the venue about five minutes before Tool took the stage. The only part of the experience I was unhappy with were my seats. They had to be the worst seats I have ever had at a concert. For any other band I would have rathered of not gone at all. Luckily towards the end of the show I found some empty seats much closer as I ran to the bathroom and got a chance to jump in those.

The band played well. (imo).. I was a bit buzzed so I could be wrong. As far as I'm concered it was a great show.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

This was my 11th show. Drove from Dallas and just barely made it to the venue about five minutes before Tool took the stage. The only part of the experience I was unhappy with were my seats. They had to be the worst seats I have ever had at a concert. For any other band I would have rathered of not gone at all. Luckily towards the end of the show I found some empty seats much closer as I ran to the bathroom and got a chance to jump in those.

The band played well. (imo).. I was a bit buzzed so I could be wrong. As far as I'm concered it was a great show.
07-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Sixth TOOL Show, no complaints.

I knew exactly what to expect, and hoped for Ænima like everyone else who reads here and was going to the show. Drove in from Houston and took my girl for her birthday. (Well we went together and the next day happened to be her birthday, but she enjoyed herself a shit ton so 'I took my girl to TOOL for her birthday :)

Everything went smooth as shit as far as getting in and out of the venue, I think someone said earlier and I agree 'For $15 fucking dollars it better be organized'

Got in, didn't get a chance to grab a gig poster tho (If anyone has an extra one for San An, I will gladly buy it from you, hit me at [email protected], I think it would be a great present for my girl, shes a new TOOL fan and fucking LOVES Ænima and Rosetta Stoned, which were two big highlights of the night.

As far as the show, I would pay the admission just to hear them play Flood, I went to Austin and Houston last tour so that right there made it worth it, you take what you can get nowadays, props to the boys. They were tight and right on all the way through, you could tell they were having a lot of fun. The fact that Maynard was so talkative was indicative as well as Justin coming out in a Big Ass Foam 10 Gallon Hat.

The Tweak Bird Drummer staying out for the rest of Lateralus, I thought he was headed off after the solo when Maynard came back and he just stands and looks at him and jumps on the platform and when I thought he was going to start talking shit and kick him off the stage he starts singing...the dude and Danny were drumming their asses off, they all got close and you could feel the energy coming from the 5 of them...surreal and loud as hell on the floor.

"Nothing better to do on a Friday Night I suppose..."

"I want to try an experiment, Imagine this is your apartment, and everyone here is your roommate. So, pick up your underwear, do your own dishes, and look out for your roommates" "Oh, and the dog shit in the spare bedroom, FYI. May want to clean that up before mom comes over...And don't forget to hide the bong"

I also read some confusion in hearing the Make A Wish comment, I heard it pretty clear from where I was, it was a joke talking shit about the Tweak Bird drummer when it was time for him to come out, I can imagine it was pretty hard to hear in a lot of places in that venue...it was something like,

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a guest tonight, Make-A-Wish foundation Runner Up, Ashton (Last Name), Tweak Bird. Let the drumsterbation begin."

"Anyone here any good Michael Jackson jokes lately? Is it too soon? Is that bad taste? Is there a time frame?"

"Thanks for comin out tonight, (Applause) Rather, Thank you for letting us in."

Phenominal. Come on back.

Last thing, kanaduh, Glad you had a pleasant experience down here, it's how we roll.

Peace and Chicken Grease.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Sixth TOOL Show, no complaints.

I knew exactly what to expect, and hoped for Ænima like everyone else who reads here and was going to the show. Drove in from Houston and took my girl for her birthday. (Well we went together and the next day happened to be her birthday, but she enjoyed herself a shit ton so 'I took my girl to TOOL for her birthday :)

Everything went smooth as shit as far as getting in and out of the venue, I think someone said earlier and I agree 'For $15 fucking dollars it better be organized'

Got in, didn't get a chance to grab a gig poster tho (If anyone has an extra one for San An, I will gladly buy it from you, hit me at [email protected], I think it would be a great present for my girl, shes a new TOOL fan and fucking LOVES Ænima and Rosetta Stoned, which were two big highlights of the night.

As far as the show, I would pay the admission just to hear them play Flood, I went to Austin and Houston last tour so that right there made it worth it, you take what you can get nowadays, props to the boys. They were tight and right on all the way through, you could tell they were having a lot of fun. The fact that Maynard was so talkative was indicative as well as Justin coming out in a Big Ass Foam 10 Gallon Hat.

The Tweak Bird Drummer staying out for the rest of Lateralus, I thought he was headed off after the solo when Maynard came back and he just stands and looks at him and jumps on the platform and when I thought he was going to start talking shit and kick him off the stage he starts singing...the dude and Danny were drumming their asses off, they all got close and you could feel the energy coming from the 5 of them...surreal and loud as hell on the floor.

"Nothing better to do on a Friday Night I suppose..."

"I want to try an experiment, Imagine this is your apartment, and everyone here is your roommate. So, pick up your underwear, do your own dishes, and look out for your roommates" "Oh, and the dog shit in the spare bedroom, FYI. May want to clean that up before mom comes over...And don't forget to hide the bong"

I also read some confusion in hearing the Make A Wish comment, I heard it pretty clear from where I was, it was a joke talking shit about the Tweak Bird drummer when it was time for him to come out, I can imagine it was pretty hard to hear in a lot of places in that venue...it was something like,

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a guest tonight, Make-A-Wish foundation Runner Up, Ashton (Last Name), Tweak Bird. Let the drumsterbation begin."

"Anyone here any good Michael Jackson jokes lately? Is it too soon? Is that bad taste? Is there a time frame?"

"Thanks for comin out tonight, (Applause) Rather, Thank you for letting us in."

Phenominal. Come on back.

Last thing, kanaduh, Glad you had a pleasant experience down here, it's how we roll.

Peace and Chicken Grease.
OFFLINE |  
cantkeepmeaway's Avatar cantkeepmeaway
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM

good show they always put on one...if anybody finds a bootleg let me know.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #40
On Probation

Bincount™: 55

good show they always put on one...if anybody finds a bootleg let me know.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply