opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
2006/05/20 - New York, NY - City Center

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11
Re: 2006/05/20 - New York, NY - City Center

amazing. i'm too stoned to remember the exact setlist right now but they mixed it up a little from the past few nights and played stinkfist first, and later brought back eon blue apocalypse/the patient which was great...would've liked to have heard the pot, though...but incredible stuff all around. I was expecting the sound to suck after hearing the comments about last night but aside from the vocals in the first couple of songs it sounded great to me. the visuals were phenomenal and maynard was hilarious.

and to anyone involved in the seating confusion in the rear gallery, row j....i'm still 9.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

To Tool - THANK YOU!

the setlist as I remember it:

Stinkfist
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

I was in last row "Front Gallery" section - the sound was much better than I expected after reading posts from Friday night show - I've heard better, but I didn't think it was too bad for where I was. For me the "fun" part of being up in the Gallery was feeling the whole thing "bounce" during Stinkfist and Sober from everybody moving in time!!

Great show.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

i do believe you are correct with the setlist. all i have to say is WOW! that was fucking intense!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Holy Fucking Shit!!! This show was absolutely amazing. There aren't words in the english language to describe how great this show was. It was so much better than Friday night's show. I ended up waiting online to get tickets before the show started and ended up with Orch. row L. Totally fucking worth it. The set list was phenomenal. The curtain going up and seeing the whole band on stage...AHH it was AMZING. I loved the fact that they opened with Stinkfist, and then went back to play Lost keys/Rosetta stoned. And then the Patient too!! This night could not have been any better. The band as a whole sounded so much tighter than friday night, and the sound was also so much better. I can not wait for another opportunity to see them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

my 4th Tool show.. on the grand tier.. excellent show.. they were all in fine form..
vocals were a lil low for some songs.. i was a little pissed they werent gonna play rosettastoned.. but.. BAM out of nowhere i hear Lost Keys.. all the songs were great.. but my highlights were Jambi, Patient, Rosettastoned, and Lateralus

cant wait for the fall..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

UNBELIEVABLE! LK/RS were amazing. LK/RS's epic was really played out in all its glory by the band tonite. The Patient was just as powerful as I heard it in Oakland 5 years ago, and I broke down into tears. And I'm still feeling the chills from Schism.

The NYC TOOL crowd was awesome. Everybody was totally into it and gave a very positive and very powerful vibe to the band and the venue. The whole experience well worthed the bucks for me to fly out from Oakland, CA. To all the NYC Tool fans, I salute you!

EDIT: BTW, this was my 6th TOOL show.

Last edited by godhenry; 05-20-2006 at 09:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyReality
amazing. i'm too stoned to remember the exact setlist right now but they mixed it up a little from the past few nights and played stinkfist first, and later brought back eon blue apocalypse/the patient which was great...would've liked to have heard the pot, though...but incredible stuff all around. I was expecting the sound to suck after hearing the comments about last night but aside from the vocals in the first couple of songs it sounded great to me. the visuals were phenomenal and maynard was hilarious.

and to anyone involved in the seating confusion in the rear gallery, row j....i'm still 9.

DUDE!! I was right fuckin' there! My bro and I were in seats 1 - 3 at the end. I dont know what all the confusion was about. Three different people came and checked my ticket, and everyone that was sitting there seemed to be right where they were supposed to be.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

tonight blew last night out of the water IMO... i love how they mixed the set up, but wish they played The Pot... i forgot to bring my camera with me though did take some pics with my camera and will post them tomorrow..

i do have a story to tell though here goes:
i almost shit my pants tonight. i went to the same bar and burrito place with one of my friends as i did last night, and then another friend meet us (3 other friends drove in and were on 55th near the venue), after a bunch of jaeger shots and beer in 1 hour we walked from 44th to 55th and i got a pretzel on the way. it was about 5 to 10 and i am rushing my 2 other friends along so we dont miss the show. we finally get there at 10, i go into my pocket to get 6 tickets out and THEY ARE NOT THERE!!! i almost crap my pants and walk in a demand to speak to a manager to tell them i lost my tickets... i give them my cc and addy and shit and she confirms that i ordered 4 tix (when they released them lastg friday) in the ORCH.... i am happy, but them i remeber i lost 6 tickets... i tell my other 2 friends that i may not be able to get them in a shit, then i remember when the tix went onsale at first i had 2 singles seats for sat's show, so i got back in to see the manager at that point she is coming out to see me and tell me that i had 6 not 4 tix and gives me another reciept, i am happy we all get in... then a bunch of us go to the bathroom expecting to see the other 2 guys after show since they are not in the ORCH, but the manager wrote the wrong location down so 4 of us are put in row M seats 30 and 32, so all 6 of us got to be in the ORCH and the security was great with people not in seats but standing in the aisle (thank god)... though they were bad with phones and cameras, and even my rewetting drop for my contacts (i have dry eyes), the guy didnt believe it was contact drops and forced me to put some in my eye (saying it could be liquid acid) so i put like 5 drops and squitered it on him (he was dick)... all and all better show than last night, cant wait for the full tour when they back from in the fall... and luckily my tix situation worked out, maybe it is karma for selling 2 sets for face value once the re-release happened and also trading seats with some on thise board (fri pair for a sat pair)...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

This was my sixth Tool show too.
It was much better than Friday, it was mostly decent-to-good. Maybe being down in the Orchestra helped. They're still 'hella' rusty, and Maynard asking twice whether we'd had enough did nothing but show how little he wanted to be there - I got that vibe from the whole band a bit. Still no The Pot. It's obviously going to take a long time for them to get back up to the level of tightness they were at before, if that's even what they're going for. And there's way too much comedy posing for my tastes, but maybe that's just their new schtick.
Anyway I had a pretty good time. And thanks a bunch to the girl who traded her ticket with my friend's, whoever she is.

Funny to see the cast from OZ there, and Alex Grey was there too.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #11

Tonight's show definitely came off better than friday's. Last night, i was stuck in the mezzanine and was shocked as hell when the band came on and THERE WERE EMPTY SEATS all around me (unless people coming in just went right up to the rail instead of their seats). And the energy of the crowd seemed to be lacking. Everyone just seemed to bob along with the songs...it all felt really tame to me. TOnight....1 MILLION TIMES BETTER. TOOL didn't throw in anything new or special for this show, but they shuffled the setlist around. For this show I was up in the gallery, which to me was way better than being in the mezz. In the mezz I had to deal with the gallery roof hanging over me and the sound/view wasn't all that great. From upstairs, though, it was all clear. Awesome view, and the sound was much better than on friday, though i still had trouble understanding maynard's chit chat. All i heard was *garble-garble-garble* New York! *garble-garble-garble* Saturday!!
The crowd tonight was much fuckin' better too. Lots of people jumping around and pumping their fists and showing some fuckin' enthusiasm. All around, tonight was much, much more enjoyable.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

When I was walking a few blocks away I happened to run into Adam Jones. Didnt want to approach him, as it seemed he was with his young daughter (?). Cool anyways.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

great show. good to see them back doin their thing. maynard was much more entertaining this time then in 2002, and the rest fo the boys were also quite good. Sound was passable, venue was OK, set list OK, lighting and set not ok. looking forward to arena tour, TA better provide this time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

alright 2 in a row and it was bad ass.

they played sll of lost keys with maynard whispering creepy shit through the bull horn.

again like last night the new schism bridge is fucking insane.

the sound was better then last night but still not the best i have heard, maynards voice was the only thing that had problems.

lateralus was on point again, i cant get enough of that song, truely amazing live.

i went to the stage entrance again tonight and waited for the band. about 12:30 or so alex and allison grey walked out, there were about 30 people there and i was like the only one that recognized him it seemed. out of the 30 people there he only signed 1 autograph and it was my copy of 10Kdays on the net of being picture. i was in fucking AWE!!!! i couldnt belive it, then adam came out and was very kind and signed everyones stuff including his picture in the 10Kdays booklet, then justin came out and he did the same. and then danny emerged, the fucking machine himself, he is the nicest man, talked for a while then jetted with his women.

these past 2 days have been incredible, i couldnt have asked for anything more. thank you new york.

thanks also to Alex who i met at the irish pub, way to show a west coast bro some love.

on a funny note, while waiting for the band the guy that is the lead role on law and order came from backstage. i was like what the fuck. pretty funny.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

its fucken 2:40 am, just got home and i'm beat up..physically and emotionally,...MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING!@!!

1. totally blown away/surprised they opened with stinkfist
2. totally thought we werent gonna get LK/Rosetta, then BAM we got it and it tore the roof off the place
3. Lateralus, I almost lost my body/mind just before they sing "with my feet"
4. Visuals were sick, sound was AMAZING (FUCK ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE DANNY CAREY HITS THOSE DRUMS SO FUCKEN HARD THEY MOVE YOU)
5. I GOT TO MEET ALEX/ALLISON GREY after the show and they signed my ticket which was a plus and had a short conversation with Alex it was awsome :) (the guy next to me got the setlist and had Alex sign it i was so jelous)

So yeah the show was absoloutley amazing, i cant believe we were so close (orchestra row o) and the crowd was wayyyyy into it. Reefer madness everywhere! The venue itself was gorgeous. And the sound was perfect. Maynards vocals were low for maybe 2-3 minutes out of the whole show, other than that it was amazing. I almost shit myself when i walked into the theatre and saw how close we were.

When we arrived at the venue it was approximatley 9:30, and there was a huge ass line outside the venue. I was like "what the fuck is this shit?" So we stood in line and people were yelling fucken funny things like "Maynard was sent down from Heaven to sing to US!!!!" and "Maynard makes me cum on myself!"...fucken funny shit...and people were actually smoking bowls while waiting in line which i found quite amusing as my friend took part in a session. Everyone was yelling and making tons of noise when they finally opened the doors around 9:45...and at this point i was like damn "Tool isnt gonna take the stage until 10:30 with the looks of things!" Security was sloppy, as they werent prepared to get people through security checkpoints at a good pace. Lines were ridiculous and long, and it was just dissapointing.

So we get into the venue at about 9:55-10:00, and we immediatley head to the merch stand where I picked up an awsome black shirt with the Net of Being on the front and back with the tour dates. I purchased a poster after the show :)

So we're at the merch stand and people start yelling "They're coming on quick go to your seats!!!" So we run and open the door to the theatre, and my jaw just dropped. So amazing how small and intimate it was. By the time we got to our seats the lights went out and the adrenaline started pumping. The curtain raised and we heard the long extended note before stinkfist starts....and all i could think was "where's lost keys?" Then BAM!!!! Stinkfist in all its rocken glory! Great Opener in my opinion. The extended version was sick, and i still can't believe people fall for it still!!! Then right into 46 & 2. The 46 & 2 Drum solo shook the entire place, and left my speechless with my jaw hanging. I don't know how he does it Danny Carey is a drum God! God i tell you! No one can come close to his intensity AND his perfection! and his beats! If I could have my live drums sound 1/10 like his...wow

So the whole time I was like, "are we gonna get a different show cuz of no LK/Rosetta?" Jambi was amazing, loved the visuals, and Adam nailed the talkbox solo perfectly. It was awsome to watch him play it flawlessly (and better than the album imo). I never really watched Adam at all the whole, I was mostly fixated on Danny and Maynard and Justin (who gained tons of respect from the crowd/me, i seriously think this guy is so underrated)

Other highlights include hearing Eon Blue and I;'m like "oh shit we're gonna hear The Patient"...and bam The Patient started with i think an ***extended intro****...and i almost broke down....it was played so beautifully...some of the visuals during some of the songs made me wanna cry to. Words can not express what I saw tonight. It feels like a perfect dream!!!! Lateralus was purley beautiful. Every single song was amazing, and i loved how MJK put strong emphasis and shouted the lyrics "STUPID SHIT.....STUPID SHIT....SILLY SHIT!!!!" of Aenema like he was really fucken pissed. I'm almost positive mjk sand "fuck l. ron hubbard" tonight instead of rupert murdoch. I'll end now and post more tomorrow. I am still in awe.

Like MJK said tonight "Those that are in the know, know....those that don't...need to get with it"

oh yeah, kudos to the drum solo in 46 & 2.....fucken insane!!! and the extended stinkfist...hi-hat madness!!!

THANK YOU TOOL!

Last edited by moneyisevil; 05-20-2006 at 11:13 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 83

amazing seats. row b top center mezz in a 2500 opera house. perfect seats. maynard was right there. the people in front of sat most of time. everyone was pretty much standing. really tho we were like 20 feet from the stage and 35 feet up or something.. aaaaaa!h! long night went to Benihanas before.. also ate 2 brownies 40 mins before they started/ REEFER BROWNIES. amazing time.. it ruled . it wasnt a long set but was worth the money. so intimate. i wasn't sure i was going until picked up my tickets

My friend who doesnt post here wants to say they should of played thepot an other songs. they did some jamming and it was cool i liked it, whatever. they sat on the stage at one point and listened to everyone go crazy for them and stuff. they started kinda late like 1020.

I was pissed about not RS .. I was yelling Rosetta stoned and Stoned.... and then bam LK, Tool PwNs

Last edited by awaking; 05-20-2006 at 11:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

i was up on the top and the sound sounded pretty bad i could hardly hear maynard and the double bass kick wasnt there at all.... anyone agree?? amazing show either way though!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 94

Fucking amazing show. I was near-center in the Front Gallery and I was wearing a grey/red sweatshirt and standing on my seat dancing/moving/whatever you wanna call it. I almost fell off a couple times but I skateboard so I kept my balance OK :P. Anyway, the sound was good, the energy was great, everything was excellent. VERY glad I went.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

This one I had Orchestra right side, under the overhang, and its was bass overload all night long. And since the sound man is sitting under the overhang himself they probably couldnt figure out a way to fix the problem, I guess maybe LOWERING the bass just a little never entered their minds.

(much better sound in Gallery previous night, and btw thanks for reminding me, the gallery did move a LOT the previous night, it made me real fucking nervous that we were gonna wind up breaking news on CNN).

Danny was wearing his LA Lakers uniform,(as opposed to the Clippers kit night before) wtf thats just not right, thats like wearing Arsenal one night, Tottenham next...

I think this was Maynard best performance to date on this minitour, as far as vocals and moving around on stage. here I have to go back again to what someone wrote last night, MJK is Tool and there is no Tool without him, PERIOD.

Adam broke a string on his guitar during Sober, however other than that pretty clean performance, probably his best on the tour so far(that I heard)(and btw I hate the Peter Frampton/Bon Jovi guitar talk box, wish he never used it...)

Lost Keys/Rosetta works much better as an opener than the way it was placed tonight in the middle/ late part of the show.

This will be my last show of 4 Ive seen on this minitour. Soundwise, Coachella was the best, this one was the worst(definitely depends on where you were sitting, though).
Overall performance from band I would say Chicago was the best, and Coachella was the worst. Wished they mixed up their set list more, playing the same songs night after night makes them sound stale especially if youre going to see them on multiple nights.

They are letting the staging stifle them as a band IMHO(I kind of think NOW I know what those old geezers meant when they said mid 70s Floyd was all right but you shoud have seen them in the 60s, Tool seems to have followed same progression).
Please, when you come back in the fall, at least for the encores, fuck the little pedestals, fuck the screens, pull out your old dance songs and tear the house down.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

I sat in rear mezz near the guy with the mask! the seat sucked! The over hang was so low. Too many heads in the way. hardly saw Adam and Justin. The sound was ok compared to orchestra last night. They should've had a stack of speakers pointed into the Mezz I couldnt even make out the bass riff in sober when justin first started playing it. And second thought, most of the show for that matter. It cant really compare to fridays show cause i had much much better seats. But Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient was awesome. Lateralus was Awesome. The sing along for Anema was a nice ending. The crowd was loud. Left out Right in Two. Wanted to hear the drumming on that again. Danny is from outerspace! Amazing! Would love to see him again do his drum clinic tour with some of the 10,000 Days songs.

btw the 2 ladies, i use the term very loosely, having the fucking loud catfight by row P rear mezz aisle SHUT THE FUCK UP....dumbfounded dipshits! Learn to swim!
20-May-2006 City Center - New York, NY
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 11:40 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyisevil
(the guy next to me got the setlist and had Alex sign it i was so jelous)

Yep that was me. ;) Managed to get Danny's setlist... hehe... one more for the collection.

I've got to pack to catch my flight home, but just a couple of short comments about my 26th show first...

1) Maynard seems to be over whatever illness was bothering him. He came through and hit some notes that he had held back on at previous shows. I think that the return of The Patient is evidence of that. I've heard that it's one of the hardest songs for him.. more wear and tear on his vocal cords, that is. That might have been part of the reason for the change in setlist back in Chicago. The Patient and The Pot have got to be two of the hardest songs for him to sing.

2) Maynard changed "Woke up in Wonderland" to "Woke up in Neverland" in Rosetta Stoned... minor, but interesting...

3) I was sitting near the back of the Orchestra (as opposed to front gallery last night) and thought that the sound was much better tonight. I don't know if that's just due to seat location, or if they made a change to the levels. Either way, I was glad for the improvement.

4) Alex Grey himself only managed a 4th row ticket, way out on the side in front of the PAs. Kinda funny, but kinda messed up too.

5) I liked the changed setlist... though it still feels like it was one song too short. But putting LK/RS in the middle was very nice. Plus they did play a longer version of LK, and Maynard was offstage for the whole thing, whispering undiscernable things into his megaphone.

Well, my brain is shutting down from lack of sleep and an overdose of TOOL. Maybe I'll come back and add more when I get home. For now, it's off to the airport. This was a good show to end my own personal "mini-tour" on. Looking forward to the Fall!

Edit: 6) I'm home now, and I remembered on my flight that they actually changed the extended portion of Stinkfist a little bit. It was the same length and the same "format" I guess you'd say, but instead of basically featuring Adam's riff for the whole thing, Justin actually got the spotlight for a little bit and added his own flair to that portion of the song (which they've been playing in one form or another since '97.)
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 05-21-2006 at 08:04 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 12:21 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

WOW LIKE LOL ROTFLMAO OMG HUGZ 1LUV BFF4EVA!

Seriously, this show was mediocre : alright at best. For my 6th or 7th Tool show, highlights of the night included Rosetta Stoned (placed in the middle of the show is a better move if you ask me), Stinkfist (if a bit shaky for an opener), an improv (GASP) or intro to Vicarious - depending on how one looks at it -, The Patient (just because great googly, they changed something!) and Lateralus. MVP as always is Mr. Carey. Maynard's been doing some really fucking epicene and downright ridiculously questionable movements on stage too...which is FYI...I guess. W/R/T the Others: Adam is still a robot and Justin is still Justin or...still vibrating like a coin-operated horse in front of a supermarket.

The problem with these/this show/s is/are that:

1) We're basically getting gipped - the band are using the phrase 'warm-up' tour as a crutch -, stagnant 'greatest hits/casual and pedestrian Tool-fan' set-lists, limited to no improvisation, and for the money we're being charged there's no reason the band couldn't start an hour earlier with an intermission, plus throw in more varied songs from ALL ALBUMS, EVEN IF THEY'RE UNREHEARSED! Part of the joy of seeing musicians live is seeing these guys fuck up IMO - just look at Robert Fripp's similar thoughts...that's where the quality of the musician comes through, seeing how they deal with imperfection. But, I divagate too much...$66.66 really cute guys...I'm not saying the band should improvise like revered jazz legends, but at least either slow things down/let things breathe, try a different key, and/or remember the Aenima days of experimentation and 'being weird' from a differentiating between the Live and Studio world perspective...Merkaba and Pushit quickly come to mind.

2) The visuals are probably the worst I've seen yet. A couple of my colleagues are in agreement that our Windows Media players offer more daedal and edifying accompaniment. Also makes me wonder if Chet Zar's work has become copyrighted or some other egregiously diaphanous litigious term? Who knows.

3) The band are RUSHING through most of the material in light of their new album, which I think (they're under the impression at least) should kick people's collective asses, rather than bring them through a range of volatile emotions. This M.O. comes e.g. in Schism's 'new' interlude section...what purpose does this Dream Theater-esque moment serve other than a prescient wink-wink faux homage to 10KD's current raison dêtre? In other words...the band is ONE-SIDEDLY kicking the shit out of material that in the long run was dynamic, effusive, and NOW more in favor of their new method of 'playing.'

4) Tool are not trying to figure out what they want to present to us as an experiential or theatrical or fatidic band and are not making the cut, nor seem to be even qualifying to give a shit.

5) These fans (fraternity and soriety dudebros and dudettes, and/or 'futants' or not) NEEED to stop singing along...and talking too, that would be nice. I come to hear Maynard sing, not you. These fans also need to know that applause when a song starts is ok, applause when a song ends is ok, applause when the band goes into a delineated/expected section i.e. a verse, chorus, and/or break is NOT ok; song = not finished; peoples = must attentively listen; act of applauding while in said circumstances = not actively listening. Please note: solos (on the rare occasion that they happen) DO count. Who am I to be an authority (or if you'd prefer, 'who am I to wave my MIGHTY finger?') on such matters? I'm not; this is MY review, not yours.

6) The mix is pretty muddy on the low-end side. Justin's tone is pretty indistinct and terribly terrible - yes I know I'm being redundant, intentional. Danny's kit in particular needs to be revamped - electronics, toms, bass-drums all should be up, equal to the level of cymbals and that precious high-hat.

In closing, I hate to shit on the guys I really, really do...but man oh man, this show/tour/and even album has been QUITE the disappointment.

P.S. I <3 You Guys Either Way!

P.P.S. Spiral Out Man!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 12:24 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

good show. I was there for both shows (friday and saturday). for the most part i feel they performed well. i was a little disapointed that on both nights they only played their singles and a few songs from 10k days, except for playing the patient tonight. the other thing that upset me a little was that they had basically the same set as the previous night, just in a different order. the only thing different was that tonight they substituted Right in 2 for The Patient. but the thing i have to say most dissapointed me tonight was the fact that they played the exact same encore as they did on friday (Vicarious followed by aenema). Plus they did the same thing of sitting on the stage waiting for the applause to get loud enough for them to play the 2 songs. Tool did play well though and i did enjoy the shows. I just feel that playing back to back shows in the same venue they should have mixed it up a little more. i do understand to that this is a warm up tour, and hopefully they will have a few new tricks for the full tour in the fall.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

welp, my first tool concert ever, and i am hoooooooked.. i will be seeing them in fall, that's for sure, mark my words..

my main thoughts tonight were how much my seats sucked (row Q rear mezz), well they would have sucked less if these two kids in row j would have been a little more open minded (i wanted to sit next to my friends and offered them like $100 bucks each to trade for a few rows back but they pussied out). on the other hand, these other two older dudes from CT were really nice and moved over for us and were nice company before the show began. forgot to say take care and hope you get back home to CT safe!

as far as the concert, i was really not feeling it the first few songs when i was still stressing the lousy seats we had (i wouldn't care otherwise but i almost made a deal with two scalpers outside to get better seats, one for a pair in orch row N and one for a pair in orch row B!! row B!!!!!!.. at the time i thought they were asking for a bit much, but now i think i'd have paid anything to get out of those lame seats), the guy ahead of us when we were going inside the theater ended up having bought counterfeit tickets.. that's wack.. that row B coulda been it..

from where we ended up, the sound was decent, but barely decent.. at least the first song and a half, then they flipped the 'crap sound' switch off afterwards and it was a bit better (i could actually hear maynard, still couldn't understand most of what he was saying while not singing).. maynard entertained the crowd a bit saying "ok you've had enough, now get out of here" or something to that effect.. later he said "thanks for letting us borrow your city" hehe, anytime dude, anytime!

i thought it was pretty cool starting with stinkfirst, everyone just started jamming and singing along (though that kinda sucked, i didn't come to see everyone else sing, but what can ya do really, i can't blame them).. wish maynard would be a little less shy and let us actually see his face, what was w/ the cowboy hat? this ain't texas and we already got a naked cowboy.. also i thought the mezz might have ripped off the wall when everyone started jumping during stinkfist =)

but i was REALLY happy to hear the patient, i was moved by the song since it speaks to me having a particularly deep meaning =\ plus when i heard it, i figure we'll hear the pot too, but NOPE! no such luck.. i was thinking a couple of moments how friggen sweet it would be to hear ticks and leeches.. i just may have to shit myself if that had been the case! no dice. it was nice seeing them chill and sitting before the vicarious/aenima finale too.. lateralus was probably my fav though, always loved that song.. lk was a good intermission song (i got to go piss and beat the evreryone-leaving bathroom lines), and rs was a neat song (i've liked it since the begining when people didn't, i thought it was a nice story line and kinda continues the whole triad conspiracy from the last album)..

sorry for writing so much, but to wrap it up, sound was OK (not great), venue was quaint, security didn't bother me [other than turning me away initially cuz i had a camera that was "too professional"], and lastly, HATED my seats!! but hey at least i got to go, and next time i'll KNOW to get closer seats! no matter what it takes..

tool
R
O
C
K
S
!!!

Last edited by cynikal; 05-21-2006 at 12:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was awesome... I thought last night was better, however, i was stoned out of my tits last night... tonight, not so much.
They changed the setlist up tonight.... pretty awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #26
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

20-05-06

After last night show, I came home passed out and got up with a bout of anxiety, another tool day, after calling my friend from Brooklyn and three friends in NJ I told them that I was working frantically to get tickets for the show so they can experience tool with me. I left home at around 12 and took two hours to get into the city. I get to city center and they told me they had five tickets for sale, three rear mezz together and two, so I buy them. After all I don’t care where I sit. Well I did but after last night I know that having a front row tool ticket is a once in a lifetime opportunity, it was someone else’s night to have what I had. Me and my friend went to get lunch and we get back to the venue about 5 30. We get in line, causee there is a line word got out that a lot of tickets were released the day before, so I stand in line with dloozer and a couple other guys that I saw from Friday. The line was SLOW and unforgiving, I swear I stood it it till at least 7 30 or so, but it was totally worth it, I got tickets in the orchestra row L. I went out after and sold two tickets below face value to two guys who were looking for four with their friends. Least I could do. I had another ticket for the rear gallery because I did a trade on Friday that would ensure me being there if tickets weren’t released. I met this guy called aaron and I just gave him the ticket cause he is a hard core tool fan and it was his first time. I didn’t want any money for it, it was about passing on tool for me in hope that the next time I see them again it would just be amazing. The energy pre, during and post show was awesome. I have come to the conclusion that tool fans are only assholes online. Not in real life…well not the ones that I meet :). So I was feeling very optimistic about the whole day. I met a great girl in the line who was surprising her husband by getting him tickets and she got one and he had a great time.
I wait for my friends from jersey and we head in, I was pushed into bliss I swear, so much better for me than last night, the energy was more vibrant and lucid to me, they sounded really good, clear and fucking Adam on the talk box. Shivers I maintained constant shivers for the entirety of the show, putting Rosetta in the mix further down was brilliant, my fave tonight again was lateralus. Something about that song and the sentiment is so special so full of hope to this day for me, it will always be one of those crowning memories to regurgitate and bring back up. All of them just gave it so much, I didn’t have the chance to look at much since I was just in my tool zone but they moved me completely. I was very sad because I am leaving the US for a long time going back home to the Caribbean and I don’t think that ill be seeing them again for a while. So I said my goodbyes and it completely broke my heart. I know that I have enough of that in me to carry me through but goodbyes are hard, periods are harder. It was so beautiful the moment where I just completely felt utter sadness mixed with euphoria. Sensory overload in the process, best tool show I have been to ever, mixed with the emotions it totally catapulted the music into another atmosphere.
I don’t know what time we came out but I loitered around and looked for my friends the NJers weren’t going to COSM so I told them goodbye and hooked up with a toolarmy buddy (whoracle p.s the man ) , his friend and my friend and we went looking for a place downtown to eat, midway across the block we decide to look for the tour bus and wait for the band. We got to where they were and saw the trucks being loaded I found a seat and smoked and just took everything in. from about 12 to 130 or 2 am
I decided to say fuck it and tell them I am starving and we should go eat. I stand up and who walks out the door….Adam. I couldn’t believe it, firstly he is the only member of tool that I have ever had the interest of meeting and lo and behold he actually faced the crowd. He was so fucking nice, he signed a lot of everything and even my ticket, I took a picture with him. My hero, now I have no one on my list. It is totally surreal to even think that that happened tonight, it did. It is burned in me. Forever. A total inspirational moment that I have filed away, something about the reality gave me strength and closure to my tool journey in the US. I have loved them and will love them for my entire life, you know it is just one of those things that you know.
Me and my friends went downtown after and talked, ate and just spent hours soaking this experience up. It is going to be hard to top this ever, but I know if one band can, it would be my tool ☺

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...52106_0050.jpg

i thought they were all beautiful really but my god in person...stunning...

One of the best nights of my life.
It is 5 22 I am tired.
I am going to drift away now.
Peace

Holly
Old 05-21-2006, 04:47 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

I Love NY!!!

What a difference a day makes.

I would like to start this off by saying....anyone that did not sit in the orchestra, or the very first rows of the Grand Tier----never went to these concerts!!!!.......I sat in the front mezzanine the night before and it was like that was the opening act for the real tool that showed up Saturday---it was like night and day...no comparison...... If I could make a perfect analogy sight wise---sitting in the mezz or gallery is like sitting in the cheap seats at a hockey game behind the net where you can barely see the goal....you are constantly leaning forward to see everything....that is what i felt like Fri.---Sat, i sat in the Orchestra--there was no comparison. And, the sound was 1 million times better from the Orchestra!!!!! I would also like to say that this was the best tool concert i have ever been to. (as stated yesterday---I seen them at least 10 times now.....I was one of the very, very, few people to ever hear ticks and leeches live too--so this says a lot.) The band came out very late, and when they did --you could tell they meant business!! I think they made a great play by coming out all together and cranking into stinkfist,,,,,it was way better than the night before when they opened with lost keys and rosetta stoned. I do not think I am going out on any limb by saying we seen the best version of Rosetta stoned on the tour. It was great. And, i finally figured out why the sound sounds muffled on that song......Maynard sings through a megaphone for half that song. To cut right to the crash....Rosetta stoned sounded 10000 times better than the night before. Then, I must have been hallucinating, because i thought i heard a "wasted years" riff by Iron Maiden in the middle of "schism"??? Was I High or can someone tell me if that was true.
The band was so powerful and on.....I hope this does not sound weird, but, it is like an orgasmic feeling you get when these guys are into it (although , to tell you the truth, I don't think any of my girls have made me feel that good, so let me take that back : ) Maynard was hilarious as usual....way funnier than the night before....."Get Out".....Oh it's sat. it's not a school night. " " I've heard farts louder"....he is sooo funny......if he did not sing like a god.....he could do stand up comedy......he is a riot.
I truly believe that these guys are the 4 very best in the business right now..they have the best singer without question, hands down , the best drummer ever, the best bassist going right now---(well, I take that back---Les claypool from Primus, is better) .......and i am not old enough to appreciate Jimi Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughn, which legend has it, were the two very best, But, this Adam Jones plays a guitar like i never heard and I think that he may be the best guitarist going too....this may also be debatable (I like the edge too) , but to me....there is no debate. To have these 4 great maestros all in the same band is incredible. Like another thing I said yesterday.........it is like seeing living legends like Tiger Woods at their craft........thank Christ I was around to see it.
The trip from Florida was worth it...it was one of the greatest weekends of my life!!!! Any money that people spent to see this.....i spent 2000 total ---was worth it. And, ANYONE who complains about the sound of Saturday, was not sitting in the right spot. I had to ask the guy next to me if i was actually seeing and hearing everything that was going on.....he assured me I was alive, so i was.

In my message yesterday......I just wanted to hear a different setlist---i wanted "right in two" replaced by "the patient" and " the pot" ....almost got my wish---no complaints whatsoever!!!!!!! I was with my lifetime best friend , who did a lot to score some green which we had to find a spot to enjoy it.....we did---right around the corner in NYC.......and can't put into words how i felt...WELL OFF TO FLORIDA---although my sister lives in Boston?????? maybe their will be a delay to my flight.........Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ---Tool!!!!!!

ps....Learn to swim..........also, how many times do you think someone has lit up a spleef in that theater during "gone with the wind" or some other play???? The security seemed a little freaked.

Last edited by vicarious462; 05-21-2006 at 05:45 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

All i can say is, that anyone that didn't like this show...unplug your ears, and stop covering your eyes. That show was amazing, i could not find a single flaw with it. I love maynard's stage presence, danny carey is just a freaking beast, Adam is Adam..and Justin...well he's British, and they sure know how to fucking rock the house. Holly, i could not agree wiyh you more. Tool fans can be a little dickish online, but when show night comes around, we are all in the same mindset.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #29
not my cup of tea

Bincount™: 4643

Last night was phenomenal!!!!! Started off at cosm for the tour, then to the show which kicked even more ass then friday night...but to top it all off i went to the party at cosm after the show and got to meet danny carey and fuckin adam jones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant believe it i thought i would never ever get to meet any of them...i gave adam jones a huge hug and told him how much he has meant to me...it was so unbelievable, i will never forget this...of course maynard didnt show up (i dont think) but i guess thats a good thing because i wouldve fuckin shit my pants...
THANK YOU TOOL
p.s. alex grey is the man!!!!!!

Jesus was a Jew.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #30

Bincount™: 4

i will have to post something more in depth later, but i think some cool things happened this past weekend that i won't forget --- some wierd, some fucking SCARY!!!! me and some other fans, some from here or toolarmy, got stuck in an elevator for 20 minutes right before the show, in Comedy Central of all places!!! thank god i was high or i'd be traumatized right now. i still can't believe it was real. oh man....i'm gonna have to leave it all for later when i get home because i really want to share one of those moment by moment kind of recaps....

"It's become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity. When I look at you, I think that one day - our humanity might actually surpass our technology."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

The sound on this show was heads and tails above the awful quality of Friday's show. Maybe the band was smart and hired a new mixer for Saturday. I had tickets in the Mezzanine again, and I was impressed that I could actually hear most of Maynard's singing (as well as his editorial comments). The bass was still a bit overpowering, and Danny's electronics had no punch at all, but hearing Maynard screech and howl made it all worth while.

I don't know why I held out hope for a real change-up to the set list. Even remembering the Lateralus tour, I should have known better: they barely changed the setlist for each show at MSG - so why would they change the setlist around on a "warm up" tour? I would rather have heard The Pot or (as long as I am making futile wishes) anything from Opiate or Undertow instead of the Patient. It also felt like a shorter show than Fridays.

I have one fear - that Tool is starting to become like every other successful rock band that evolves into a corporate machine, where a tour is put together to promote a new album,, not for giving fans a chance to almost touch the music they love. The set lists for this tour have no breathing room - they seem to consist of "airplay hits/best of" and "new album" for the most part. Most long-time fans I know would kill to hear them play Opiate or Bottom or Hush or H. Tool has written so many great songs in their history that its a shame to only play the ones that either make it to radio, or are off the new album. Besides, anyone who saw the last tour has already seen those same songs played live. Its just formulaic.

My bitching and griping aside, it was a great show for what it was, with the band certainly giving their all. And being able to hear it was a plus. Once again I laughed my ass off when they hit that suprise bridge in Stinkfist and the whole crowd sings "I'll... Keep.... hey, where did the music go?" And although I usually watch Danny's every move, Maynard kept stealing my eye - some of his strutting around cracked me up. I think they are pretty well warmed up.

So, does anyone think the setlist is going to change much by the fall?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

Well... def a better view than friday nite, where I sat up in the rear Mezz... Last nite was Orch Row Q on Justin's side. I was quite pleased w/ the StinkFist opener, b/c it gave me slight hope for something slightly different than Friday. I still thought the sound was muddy at best. I mean the bass was unbelievably heavy, the whole place around us was shaking. Which basically drowned out a lot of Maynard's vocals. Being under the overhead again just sucked. My buddies sat frong mezz row F and they prob had much better sound quality.

They replaced Right in Two w/ the Patient, but other than that same set... i wouldnt say rearranging the order of the songs is condusive to calling it a different setlist... The Patient was a def highlight.... the songs kicked a lot more ass than i recalled from their 01/02 shows...Lateralus again stole the show though... they just need to close w/ that song all the time... the theme, the lyrics, the images, everthing just reeks of the perfect closer.

I don't get that whole sitting on stage thing...b/w Lateralus and Vicarious... just weird as if they're just sulking in the adoration which is kinda strange. I wonder what they say to each other up there? Also find it weird that Maynard basically exists stage left and the rest of the band stand there and clap and signal to the crowd w/out him...

anyway... better than Friday, still relatively short overall and again only 10 songs and no Pot...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Hi all, first post, been seeing Tool live since '94, seen them about 14 times and saw them in NYC last night. I wrote a little review about it on another board and here's what I wrote.

Saw Tool last night in NYC, sat 10th row in a very intimate theatre so whatever they played sounded incredibly tight and loud, kind of felt like they were performing privately in someones living room. Maynards voice was perfect all the way through his ranges. Danny on drums that close up is his own show, just so fucking talented. The errie Tool guitar sounds where in full force and they put you in a comfortable place. The crowd was very refined I guess, everyone there knew this was going to be a special venue and respected the theatre and each other. The key to that was they didnt allow food or drinks at your seats, so everyone kinda focused on the music more, at least I did. Although some people were smoking weed in there, no beers at your seats.
They played only 3 new songs off 10,000 days which kind of suprised me and opting to play songs like Schism, Sober, Stinkfist, Aenima, all huge radio play hits, wasn't the best playlist they could've come up with in my opinion. I'd love to have heard alot more of 10,000 days.
Off of 10,000 days they played, Jambi, Vicarious and a dead on Rosetta Stoned, which all three were the highlight of the night. They also threw in 46&2, the Patient and Lateralus, which was amazing.

Maynard, unlit and standing next to the drum kit was donning his mohawk and often putting on his cowboy hat with sunglasses. He was sans a shirt and wearing jeans with a huge Texas like beltbuckle and his new look, cowboy boots which he gave a few Elvis straight kicks with. Not too much movement from him, probably more than last tour though. Just a awesome dislpay of power through music.

My .02 on what was one of unforgetable Tool shows. Cant wait to see the arena tour.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

I was there in the LAST row of the place, actually standing behind where my seats actually were to see better. The show was amazing, although I couldn't see Justin or Adam because stupid heads were in my way. Some funny parts though: The girl next to me was texting someone on her PDA for like 20 minutes of the show, but she was way into it for the rest of the time, just a funny note. Also there was a 12 year old kid about two rows in front of me with his dad. Who brings there 12 year old to a Tool concert? Better yet what 12 year old listens to Tool?

Did anyone else see the guy walking around outside with the "I need a ticket" sign? I thought it was quite funny. I hope he lucked out.

edit: Also anyone see the dude with the 10,000 days eye image tattooed onto his shoulder? He apparently got it that night before the show. He and his friends told me, that since it was my first Tool show I should have brought a change of underwear. Luckily I didn't need it.

But this was my first Tool show, and all I can say is I cannot fucking wait till the fall when I see them again

Last edited by dutchbstrd; 05-21-2006 at 09:57 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

I attended Wed nights show in Philly, and Friday at NYCenter and this show was BY FAR the best of all three. The sound levels were where they finally needed to be and Maynard was definitley rockin out. The band sounded great with less mistakes on the newer stuff than the previous nights. Orchestra seats was where u needed to be at at this venue.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #36
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

Had a chance to sleep on it and reflect on the shows, and I guess I would have to say thank you to whoever was looking out for me up there or my karma or whatever that I got to see 3 shows on long-shot miracle tickets (scalpers didnt make a dime on me- New York shows I got to see only thanks to NYCMale who rarely posts here but gave a heads up on these boards when tickets got released last friday, thank you man I will be eternally grateful whoever you are), plus Coachella.

I agree with the person above(hbynoe) when Tool comes around in the future if I get extra tickets Im passing them on to some deserving fans outside the shows.

As for the show, what I forgot to write last night- I dont know if Maynard used the line in the other shows but he introduced the new album as "10,000 Reasons to Live" how fucking powerful/spiritual is that? He said something like "We got a new album out, etc" like hes been doing on the tour but changed the name here.

From what Im reading everybody seems to have their favorite "Tool" be it Adam, Danny etc, for me Maynard is the MAN or should I write "Maynard is God" on the theater walls? His voice was ON last night, and he was hitting all the notes and lyrics. As for Maynards abrupt exists the last two nights at the end, from what I remember(correct me if Im wrong) they all walked off together both in Chicago and at Coachella, but I wouldnt read too much into it.

Finally I hope all out of towners had a good time and enjoyed the city, I think sometimes us natives forget how good we have it here with the music scene, and when you talk to people who came from Canada etc and what a blast they are having and how they wished they lived here I think we remember to appreciate it more, how lucky we are...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 94

I though Maynard said "10,000 Reaons to love New York".
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

he did.... he also said his dog farts louder than we cheered for another song after Vicarious...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

Amazing, amazing show...Easily the best I have ever been to, Tool or otherwise.

I sat in rear mezz and had absolutely no problem with the acoustics. The band's sound was tight and near flawless. I can't even imagine how wonderful it must have sounded for someone seated in the orchestra section.

Obviously the setlist was altered, and I was quite surprised when they came blazing out of the gate with Stinkfist and 46 & 2. Those songs may have been better if saved for the middle of the set, but starting out with such a fury was great as well. I didn't like the idea of opening with Rosetta Stoned when I had heard they were doing it at previous shows, and I'm somewhat glad they didn't.

Security and ushers and the venue were also awesome.

The only thing that irked me slightly (very slightly) was that I feel like the setlist is getting shorter and shorter. Most shows got "The Pot" and "The Patient" in addition to everything else, or "Right in Two" only. We got only "The Patient."

Also Maynard never left his platform. He did move/dance around a bit, but stayed in his little area. Some reviews of the other shows said he was moving to the fron of the stage and whatnot, which would have been interesting. Adam was his usual statue self.

The other thing that annoyed me were these assholes that I heard talking after the show making comments like "oh, I wish they would have played Opiate, or I wish they would have played "Jerk-Off." Come on now, I am an old school fan as well, but expecting to play those tracks is just ridiculous. Not only is this a tour in support of 10,000 days, but they have three albums before which WERE reperesented. They are likely tired of tracks they played more than 10 years ago.

Overall, a wonderful set from my favorite band. No screw-ups in sound or playing that I could notice whatsoever.

Highlights for me were: "Sober," "Aenema," "Vicarious," "The Patient," and "Lateralus." That is almost the whole show, but what can I say? ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:58 AM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJsancho
DUDE!! I was right fuckin' there! My bro and I were in seats 1 - 3 at the end. I dont know what all the confusion was about. Three different people came and checked my ticket, and everyone that was sitting there seemed to be right where they were supposed to be.
Quote:
I know man, I had my ticket checked at least half a dozen times...it was all because of the people in seats 15 & 17...they didn't want to admit they were in the wrong seats. god damn that shit was annoying. but the show was fucking phenomenal.
My friend and I had J-13 & J-15. Those ladies that were trying to figure it out were clueless. Once the show started it didn't matter, we were up at the rail the whole show. Anyway, I figured out why there was so much confusion. Those seats were mislabeled somewhere. The last seat on that row was marked 23. I just looked at the seating chart on the City Center's website and they only show that row going to 21 so something was really fucked up with that row.

This was my 3rd TOOL show, 2nd this week. This show blew away the Philly show Wednesday. Maynard sounded much better and was much more into it. Philly was certainly memorable though as we got 3rd row tickets right in front of Adam. Got my 10,000 Days CD case signed by Adam & Danny after the Philly show so I didn't bother sticking around after this one. We did go to the CoSM tour before the show which was really cool. Got home at 6am today after the train ride and drive back to Maryland. What a week. Can't wait for the full blown U.S. tour!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: