opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/12/07 - Lyon, FRA - Halle Tony Garnier

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ćnema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/07 - Lyon, FRA - Halle Tony Garnier

Setlist 100% sure:

Stinkfist (extended)
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism (extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song

(Lighter break)
Wings For Marie
10.000 days

Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

The show was amazing and the sound so much better than in Grenoble in May.
So bad Maynard didn't sing the end of Vicarious and Aenema :o\
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-08-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 160

First time for me. Fucking hugely amazingly beautiful. 46 & 2 made me want to dance and trip, it's great how a song can captivate you. And Maynard dancing is the BEST THING you can witness.
I dont have much time but I wanted to say : I was first row, right side, and the amount of bass coming from Danny's bass drums was AWFULLY LOUD. Maybe I wasn't at the right place but it drowned a lot of maynard's voice and a lot of justin's bass guitar. Even though I had earplugs I sometimes had to put my fingers in my ears in order to hear a clear sound.
Otherwise, best concert this year, thank you Tool for this energy, this music and for leaving a positive feeling in me.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri_ds View Post
First time for me. Fucking hugely amazingly beautiful. 46 & 2 made me want to dance and trip, it's great how a song can captivate you. And Maynard dancing is the BEST THING you can witness.
I dont have much time but I wanted to say : I was first row, right side, and the amount of bass coming from Danny's bass drums was AWFULLY LOUD. Maybe I wasn't at the right place but it drowned a lot of maynard's voice and a lot of justin's bass guitar. Even though I had earplugs I sometimes had to put my fingers in my ears in order to hear a clear sound.
Otherwise, best concert this year, thank you Tool for this energy, this music and for leaving a positive feeling in me.
So you were surely at the wrong place because sound was great and right balanced from the seats at the back of the concert hall.

Note also that Maynard wore a red hooded sweat-shirt at the beginning of the stinkfist and undressed by the end of the song.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
So you were surely at the wrong place because sound was great and right balanced from the seats at the back of the concert hall.

Bummer...well, I was divided between being at 7 meters from Justin but with the bass drums drowing the whole mix or hearing a balanced sound and seeing them from far away. oh well...
Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

My third Tool gig - maybe the greatest one...

1p.m.: I turn up in front of the Halle, expecting a lot of folk to be already waiting... No one.
2p.m.: having a stroll around there, I come across Justin Chancellor on a bike!
3p.m.: there are 3 of us in the queue. Here we go for a loooong wait in an icy rain (at least I'm sure to stand in the front row)...
6p.m.: a security guy is like: «*...no bottles; if you smoke, you're history; if you «*slam*» (that's how we say that in French, I'm not sure about the translation...) you're history; if you take photos, you're history...*». After being frisked like terrorists and lined up (then, a friendly woman tells us that only 2000 tickets have been sold), we step into the Halle Tony Garnier (a former abattoir, by the way)...

A while later, Mastodon start playing (better than those gruesome bad-tasted sets gave you to assume...). Before the stage, a kind of creepy Nazi and his colleagues are ready to throw out the slightest outlaw (which they did many times).
At last, our four heroes hit the stage! MJK has dropped his high-heels cowboy boots (which weren't really fit to move on stage, obviously), and wears a fluo orange tracksuit (quickly taken off, with the female audience's whistlings...).
After Stinkfist (not as spectacular as Lost Keys as an intro – but maybe they're sick of always starting with the same song...), MJK: «*I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is:...we don't speak French.*» («*c'est pas grave, on t'aime quand męme!!!*»). «*Now, the good news: we do speak music...*» («yyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!!!!*») - then, he said something about Germany which made some laugh, but I didn't catch it...

Good points:
- the sound was decent;
- unlike during the summer tour, the guys were in a great form (except, maybe, Adam who always looks a little sickly – come on, cheer up; we love you!!);
- you didn't have to wonder if you were gonna be trampled to death or just suffocated, as in Paris last June;
- it was Tool, they played their guts-gripping Tool music, and I was standing just a couple of metres from them...;

Regrets:
- even so, the sound was not as accurate as in Paris;
- the setlist mostly included songs from 10 000 days, which isn't my favourite album;
- I haven't caught anything of what they flung;
- and of course (same as ever), it was TOO SHORT!! (and would have been, have they played 3 days non-stop)...

In the end, the guys started throwing things at the crowd (pieces of drums, bottles of water,...) and fooling around (Danny tries to intercept what Maynard throws; Maynard screws up and doesn't throw far enough a bottle, so points his finger at Danny with an innocent look,...). Then they leave the stage, waving to us far more warmly than they had done in June...
Can't they set about a third tour?...
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Indeed a great concert. I had seen Opeth the day before, which rocked as well... so Tool started with the considerable disadvantage that my neck was not feeling well.
Anyway, I was too late for Mastodon - blame university - which I regret quite a bit. However, Tool were great. I had seen them years before at Rock am Ring (2002?) but that's of course never the same thing. While I don't exactly love 10,000 Days (well, it's not my favourite album), Wings 1 and 2 are a magnificent power. My favourite song must have been Lateralus, I guess...

As an aside, Tool are a lot cheaper in France than in Germany. Would I still live there, I would've paid 12 Euro more on top of being in Germany instead of France.

Before this turns into a love letter to France, I'll stop by saying that this show was great in every way you look at it.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: