opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 02-08-2003, 06:27 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Lateralus and Drugs

I read all these interpretations of what the lyrics to Lateralus mean, but I think it's pretty obvious what they mean, atleast if you've heard Tool (particularly this song) on acid or even pot. You spiral out with the music and your mind becomes one with it, it is totally incredible and the lyrics to the song describe exactly what happens when you listen to the music of Tool and other such bands like Pink Floyd on drugs. I always assumed most fans of Tool are heavily into drugs, but I could be wrong.

-Andy
Old 02-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
The first time I tripped mushrooms, I listened to Tool. Then I realized that my entire life up until that point had been a lucid dream, and I had woken up. Then I suddenly understood the nature of life, the universe, existance, and everything else.

mmmmyep, drugs are fun.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Well, you assumed wrong. I've only tried weed once and thats the only drug i have ever tried.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by TapocoL
Well, you assumed wrong. I've only tried weed once and thats the only drug i have ever tried.
Why did you stop after the first time? I smoke weed now simply to listen to Tool, part of my staple diet. And I would think that any fan of Tool would want to take drugs (particularly hallucinoges) just to hear Tool the way they are meant to be heard.

I particularly never got into Tool until I first listened to them on acid. I had heard them a couple times beforehand , but never sat down and got into them for some reason, but after my mate put them on while we were tripping, I was hooked. I would definitely recommend trying it out, if you haven't already. .
Old 02-09-2003, 08:40 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Personally, I just took some bong hits and listened to the Salival version of Pushit, it was pretty freakin intense.

I love drugs, but only certain kinds. Weed, acid/shrooms... That's about as bad as I get nowadays. I've tried some others, they were fun, but weren't anything I wanted to be a part of.

Drugs are fun because they definitely alter your state of mind, and obviously, with a mind shift you definitely can think in ways you have never before. I love tripping because when I'm coming down, I have a constant rush of thought, but it's slow enough that I can actually contemplate it all. It makes me think a lot about everything, and I can usually see things from multiple views.

I wouldn't say drugs are awesome, everyone should do them. But you truly can't knock anything until you've tried it. A friend of mine just took his first hits of weed after about 19 years of soberness. It was the way he always said he wanted to smoke for the first time, all his friends, good situation, hard night of partying. But now he's not gonna smoke again for who knows how long.

This post didn't really have a lot to do with lateralus, but since drugs were involved, I kinda thought a little and typed this up... I didn't want to waste it.

joe - drugs are bad, mmmmmkay?
Old 02-09-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

drugs can allow you to use your brain to see outside the lines in new light or a new perspective. You are born with these abilities, however in the third dimension only 5 senses are utilized and most are unable to achieve this state of mind sober. Lateralus and drugs are both tools to helping you achieve this greater reality. Although, while drugs can get you closer to the otherside, a clear - clean body and mind is essential for ultimate realization which can be achieved through several forms of meditation.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:11 AM   #7
g0d
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by tanner
drugs can allow you to use your brain to see outside the lines in new light or a new perspective. You are born with these abilities, however in the third dimension only 5 senses are utilized and most are unable to achieve this state of mind sober. Lateralus and drugs are both tools to helping you achieve this greater reality. Although, while drugs can get you closer to the otherside, a clear - clean body and mind is essential for ultimate realization which can be achieved through several forms of meditation.
It's so nice to run across someone who really actually sees things... :)
Old 03-24-2003, 05:04 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Huh

andy how do you know that tool only wants their music to be heard while under the influence of drugs??? Dont you feel that by always doing drugs whilst listening to tool that youre missing an important insights that you gain when listening to them sober. In that i also mean isnt it important to experience the music on both levels so that you get the most out of it. Does this make any sense or am i just rambling???
Old 03-25-2003, 06:39 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Drugs

I sure do like drugs. Try Salvia Devenorum. It's fun. And it's legal. lol. Listening to Aenima whilst coming up from smoking a bowl of sens in the dark, was about one of the coolest thing's I've experienced. But, I must say that I feel I understand the universe less than i thought i did before drugs. Now I think i realize that nobody really knows shit. Take a good bong rip and inhale this for a moment guys, since we've been conditioned to rely on our 5 (6) senses, most of out thoughts are contoured around these. How difficult is it to fathom the possibility that there is much more that is impossible to "know/sense" affecting things around us. I know that I have thoughts and feelings outside of those senses, but my concious (spelling?) brain seems unable to interpret these thoughts. I feel that since we are human, we'll never be more or less, simply we will be what we are. But there are limitations that are imposed from being in this body. Mind is something we don't really understand, but we try to "learn" as much as we can about it so it doesn't seem so "alien" to us. Just my opinion, and again, I'm aware that not everyone shares that opinion, yada yada yada. But, I would like to see what you think about this concept. Really think about it.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:28 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 51
hey i tried salvia with my boyfriend and it didnt do nothing to me except make me feel a little stoned. i guess i didnt smoke enough or something. anyway, Tool is great when ur on shrooms. i recommend that you try it
Old 04-15-2003, 12:14 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 136
The entire album revolves around a psycoactive dissassociative state of "sub-reality".

you can easily reach such state through a chemical compound called "Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide"

When DXM is taken at a dose of around 700 mg. it completely dissassociates your body from your mind leaving a person with little to no motor skills (same effects as Special K) and at the same time gets your brain working WAY faster than normal making a person "overthink" and "overanalyse" and be very creative and very vulerable to the suggested (same effects as shrooms, and acid)

DXM is easily obtained by going out to the local pharmacy and picking up a couple bottles of "Robutussin Maximum Strength Cough" because it happens to be THE ONLY active ingredient found in it, or with a bit of research you just may find a chemical research facility who will ship a pure powder form of it to your house for a conciderably small price because its legal to buy and sell in the U.S. (God Bless America!)

to read much MUCH more about it visit http://www.third-plateau.org/ its very enlightenig.

draw far beyond the lines of reason, Explore you subconsiose Embrace Tool+DXM
Old 04-15-2003, 04:14 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by EmbraceTdOxOmL

When DXM is taken at a dose of around 700 mg. it completely dissassociates your body from your mind leaving a person with little to no motor skills (same effects as Special K) and at the same time gets your brain working WAY faster than normal making a person "overthink" and "overanalyse" and be very creative and very vulerable to the suggested (same effects as shrooms, and acid)
Do not do DXM, that stuff is fucking dangerous and I mean it. I don't have a negative attitude against drugs or anything, but that stuff will literally slowly turn your brain into cheese.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm.shtml
Old 04-19-2003, 05:08 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Lateralus & Drugs

"Overthinking, overanalysing, seperate the body from the mind". This is not solely limited to DXM or Ket. Any serious user of narcotics will tell you that any drug can cause this effect of intreversion and self analysis. The brain will constantly overanalyse EVERYTHING when you're buzzing and this can provide you with good and bad feelings - that's why people take 'em!

You don't need drugs to listen to Tool, but stoners like me can listen to music with a stoned mind even without a smoke. Liking Tool and listening to them is a state of mind, cos the music is so deep. Try listening to Britney caned off your tits - you won't find any hidden meanings there.

Tool are enhanced by drugs...not dependant on them :o)
Old 04-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7
Re: Huh

Quote:
Originally posted by deadinholywood
andy how do you know that tool only wants their music to be heard while under the influence of drugs??? Dont you feel that by always doing drugs whilst listening to tool that youre missing an important insights that you gain when listening to them sober. In that i also mean isnt it important to experience the music on both levels so that you get the most out of it. Does this make any sense or am i just rambling???
Wake up.......The Matrix has you.......

I am just kidding with you......yes you can get it both ways...but don't knock until you try it I always say
Old 04-24-2003, 12:44 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I smoke weed now simply to listen to Tool, part of my staple diet. And I would think that any fan of Tool would want to take drugs (particularly hallucinoges) just to hear Tool the way they are meant to be heard.

Now...I'm not exactly opposed to the idea of drugs, but how can one really suggest that a drug-induced state allows for the full understanding of anything, especially when your mental state is completely altered? What could be the "deeper meaning of the universe" to one person when he/she is hallucinating could be table salt to yet another person who is completely sober. I've been a fan for years, never touched a drug (nicotine and alcohol excluded) and have my own personal opinions on what the message the songs are trying to carry is. It's all based on individual perception and interpretation (drug-related or not) and I firmly believe there is no "way they are meant to be heard."
Old 04-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 136
Quote:
Originally posted by RhesusAttack
I firmly believe there is no "way they are meant to be heard."
I couldnt disagree more... the ONLY "way they are meant to be heard" is with your heart. i think wa all owe a great big fat "THANKS TOOL!"

other than that...

I couldnt agree more...thats why we have TDN here to let us share our ideas, opinions. and interpretations. i think we all owe a great big fat "THANKS TDN!"
Old 05-02-2003, 06:19 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

drugs?

i think drugs can be a useful tool to achieve different states of consciousness but i do not think that lateralus is exclusively about drugs. although i could be wrong, lateralus seems to delve deeper into what it means to be a human then simply doing drugs. and for all of you that use drugs to have experiences of higher states of consciousness i suggest that you try meditation. you will be suprised what you can do on your own.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Re: drugs?

Quote:
Originally posted by mstajduh
it's about the effects of the best drug ever....

Mythology.
hahahah clever...
sorry im a dick but like, if ur gonna say something like that (that being something which is basically dismissing all the previous discussion), then at least back it up. I mean, (yes i am the thread police) try to stay on topic and check your pretentions at the door holmes. word.

Last edited by dork; 05-02-2003 at 09:02 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: