opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » Artwork
User Name
Password
Old 05-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
So if I were to go buy a copy of Ænima today...

...how different from the original pressing would it be, in terms of artwork/notes arrangement n just general things. I'm positive it wouldn't be the EXACT same insert as my dad's copy of the CD he bought in 96/97 or whenabouts but I'm just curious if anything changed BESIDES having different small print, label/distribution credits n such. They (Sony BMG) didn't do anything asinine like add a big ugly "TOOL" logo on the front cover or anything did they?

In truth I'm curious about this concerning all five albums (Opiate/Undertow especially I imagine must have suffered some liner note deviation since the early '90s) as I've recently decided to re-acquire the tool discography physically. I've put up with various crappy torrent discographies for the last 2-3 yrs now, n it just don't cut it. B4 anybody jumps down my throat I said "RE-acquired" as I've owned at least 1 actual retail copy of each album. In fact since losing/destroying my dad's Ænima as a kid I've bought two subsequent copies of it, both meeting similar fates as I moved around 'tween 4 or 5 living situations in the last couple years.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: So if I were to go buy a copy of Ænima today...

my bad if I've stated myself incorrectly (wudn't be the first time), what I'm really asking is OTHER than small, very insignificant things, are the Opiate/Undertow/Ænima inserts & front/back covers still the same after the Sony BMG takeover in like 07 or whenever that happened. Ya know, like is the cow picture still hidden behind an opaque disk tray n such. Are there any drastic rearraning/removal/addition of the artwork/notes in the folding inserts for any of them. I can't imagine much changed for Lateralus as everything was simply printed on it's outer jacket, and obviously I don't think much as changed wit the 10k days packaging in it's barely 4 yrs of existing.

idk for most bands I probably wouldn't bother posting about such trivial things on their forum, but to me everything about a tool album including it's containing vessel, is at least in some small way part of the experience.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
Re: So if I were to go buy a copy of Ænima today...

For the most part, they are identical. I own both versions of Ænima and my ex had the original Opiate (I have the new one)...the biggest difference is the color. The color is ever-so-slightly different. Which is actually not a big deal, go look at Led Zeppelin's vinyl catalog and pretty much every issue will have differently reproduced images (in terms of opacity, color saturation, hue, etc).

But they didn't take anything away. My Volcano Undertow still has the cow hidden behind the tray. My Ænima has the same perforated booklet the original had, etc.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: