opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #2441
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In The Fucking Zone
Posts: 531
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Well, to be fair to the band on the set times, Tool probably does not have much say on it. The festival promoters decide how much time you get and you are expected to finish your set within that alloted time. I'd love to think Tool could just say 'screw you' and play longer, but that honestly is not good business. (although I have heard some festivals don't mind if the main act exceeds their time)

As far as variety in the songs, that is definitely Tool's fault. I know there is a problem with staging and being properly rehearsed for the songs. There is also an issue towards creating what they feel is a coherent set that 'works' night in and night out. I am pretty sure that's why a song like Pushit does not make the set every night.

Still, they should try some spontaneity and see what happens.

You won't see any spontaneity at festivals because they don't have a soundcheck beforehand, which is probably why people say that the sound for "Jambi" is always erratic. I would imagine that they just keep the same setlist so that the show can be tight and well played in the alloted timeframe. Still, even throwing "Sober" or "The Pot" in there every once in a while would be nice. It would at least show some effort.
__________________
"You tried your hardest and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #2442
Level 10 - Vehement
 
sonnyboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 2,063
Bincount™: 20
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz46&2 View Post
You won't see any spontaneity at festivals because they don't have a soundcheck beforehand, which is probably why people say that the sound for "Jambi" is always erratic. I would imagine that they just keep the same setlist so that the show can be tight and well played in the alloted timeframe. Still, even throwing "Sober" or "The Pot" in there every once in a while would be nice. It would at least show some effort.
Good point about the festival (non) soundcheck. And the band are perfectionists so it probably drives them bonkers knowing that the opening song is going to be a total waste. I have heard Jambi totally kick ass live but something has to go first at these festival shows.

You know, looking at the last 4 shows for Europe, they have done pretty much the same setlist (as expected). The one thing that drives me crazy is Schism! What is with the love for that song? I know it's a great tune and all. But I swear they have done that song every single show since Lateralus tour started. I guess they must really like playing it. I'm sick to hell of that one!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #2443
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 192
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
The one thing that drives me crazy is Schism! What is with the love for that song? I know it's a great tune and all. But I swear they have done that song every single show since Lateralus tour started. I guess they must really like playing it. I'm sick to hell of that one!
Schism and 46&2. I love both songs, but how many times do they feel the need to play them. I don't think they have played a show at all this tour without including both songs. I say replace 46&2 with H...didn't they used to do that???
__________________
"Arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded."
___________________________________________

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #2444
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
3poundsoflove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ITALIA
Posts: 391
Bincount™: 3
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

they are said to be great musicians, but what great musicians are they, if they're not able to play different songs without many reharsals?
No, this cannot be the point. They are just too lazy and dont care about the fans.
It's not that in one year the crowd has changed: this european leg is going to be attended from the same people that were there in June/July 06 and November/December 06.
Don't fool around with us: it's the same show once again. I cannot believe that they're not able to play simple songs like Intolerance, Prison Sex, 4°, H., Jimmy, Opiate, Part of Me, The Patient, Triad and even Intension if they rearrange it a little.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #2445
Level 10 - Vehement
 
sonnyboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 2,063
Bincount™: 20
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Intension has been played this tour- just not a full version. They need to do that one. It's off their new record and there really is not much excuse for excluding it except to say it probably would not work well at a festival, given the short set times and slowness of the song.

The Patient has also been done this tour (I saw it). Dunno why they won't do it more but I think it's over and done.

The ones I feel strongest about are Jimmy, H., and Pushit. Aenema is not my favorite album by the band but these are good songs that should be played live more consistently. Jimmy especially is a winner. Really puzzling why they won't give it a go after all this time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #2446
Unreasonably Reasonable
 
McRoggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6,668
Bincount™: 8396
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

I'm actually glad I have no money, because this is the third European leg of this tour since 2006 and even I cannot longer back up the set list at these festivals; despite the greatness of those songs.

I bet ya the last US leg will get the different stuff, just like happened on the Lateralus tour.

Alas, I'll always have 3 december 2006 with me. Best Show Ever.
__________________
Light at the Horizon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #2447
Level 10 - Vehement
 
sonnyboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 2,063
Bincount™: 20
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
I'm actually glad I have no money, because this is the third European leg of this tour since 2006 and even I cannot longer back up the set list at these festivals; despite the greatness of those songs.

I bet ya the last US leg will get the different stuff, just like happened on the Lateralus tour.

Alas, I'll always have 3 december 2006 with me. Best Show Ever.
So come to the US for a show maybe? I know it's expensive, but then I travel all around to see them so I should know.

I am not sick of hearing the new songs by any stretch. I love Rosetta Stoned live. I love Vicarious. And although they have been played to pieces I am always up for Stinkfist and Lateralus (especially the extended versions).

But I know the frustration and it's obvious the sets for the festival tour are not going to vary much. Still looking forward to Pukkelpop though. I have been listening to the Shins last record and it is quite good. And I have never seen NIN. Should be fun!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #2448
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
3poundsoflove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ITALIA
Posts: 391
Bincount™: 3
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Firstly I thought that it was Maynard having problems with his voice, and so he only sang the songs he was more comfortable with.
Then that they just hadn't the time to prepare videos, visuals and lights coordination to more songs than the ones they play.
Now I really think that it's because they're lazy, cause they got no excuses: for example, a band like Radiohead never plays an identical show. Not only them.

I have to admit to myself that as long as tool is my favourite band, they're not the best live band around. Radiohead is better than tool, for example.
How I wish I am wrong...

in theory, these dates should be full-time shows:

london (x2)
manchester
frankfurt date #2
zagreb
belgrad
athens
istanbul

and maybe also partially Bologna where I know for absolutely sure that the organizers will give both NIN and tool 90 minutes.

I hope in these gigs they won't just add only the pot/aenema/wings/right in two/sober as additional songs. I really hope it for they people who are going to attend them shows.

I was there in Florence, November 11st, first time they did play Wings in Europe. Best show I've ever seen. But now I don't want to be disappointed by my favourite band. They have so many songs to choose from.


How I wish I will be surprised.

Last edited by 3poundsoflove; 08-14-2007 at 01:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #2449
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In The Fucking Zone
Posts: 531
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

I really want to say that the main reason that this tour's setlist has been so rigid is due to the lack or rehearsing by the band. And I would conjecture that the reason why they seldomly rehearse is because of things going on in their personal lives. Though it seems this is probably more true for Maynard than anyone else. He has his Puscifer project that he's been occupied with not to mention his vineyard. If you skim through his online journel for his wine website he spends 90% of his free time with that. I'm not saying he shouldn't, it's just a little discouraging. Especially if you consider that they are continuing this tour to cover the US again. Why even bother if you can't devote any time to rehearsing? It really doesn't make sense. I have to think that they are all pretty well off financially so it seems pointless to drag out this tour with the exact same material and lack of enthusiasm.
__________________
"You tried your hardest and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #2450
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 467
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz46&2 View Post
I really want to say that the main reason that this tour's setlist has been so rigid is due to the lack or rehearsing by the band. And I would conjecture that the reason why they seldomly rehearse is because of things going on in their personal lives. Though it seems this is probably more true for Maynard than anyone else. He has his Puscifer project that he's been occupied with not to mention his vineyard. If you skim through his online journel for his wine website he spends 90% of his free time with that. I'm not saying he shouldn't, it's just a little discouraging. Especially if you consider that they are continuing this tour to cover the US again. Why even bother if you can't devote any time to rehearsing? It really doesn't make sense. I have to think that they are all pretty well off financially so it seems pointless to drag out this tour with the exact same material and lack of enthusiasm.
Too be honest, I can play all my old bands stuff to a T still (I would wish to rather not though haha) from 3-4 years ago. I'm sure a band who actually played shows with these songs day in and day out shouldn't have a problem bringing one out of the haystack...undertow stuff-easy as hell to play, maynard would probably bitch about his vocals, aenima stuff like H. or eulogy would need some timing work, as with most stuff on lateralus (theres some insane time sigs going on there!), but that shouldn't be an excuse honestly. Dream Theater plays random shit each night, and thier songs own Tool in layering by about a thousand, even though I like Tool better, they aren't better musicians if thats the case...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #2451
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 192
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3poundsoflove View Post
for example, a band like Radiohead never plays an identical show. Not only them.

I have to admit to myself that as long as tool is my favourite band, they're not the best live band around. Radiohead is better than tool, for example.
How I wish I am wrong...
That's funny that you said that, 'cause I just had this argument about which band is better with a friend of mine last night. He loves Radiohead and thinks Thom Yorke's voice is 10X better than Maynard. I disagree...love both bands, but TOOL is much better.
__________________
"Arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded."
___________________________________________

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #2452
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Ghostwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Bincount™: 30
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

I think Tool is just kinda "bubbling over" in the Europe tour. They are just kinda "simmering down" and cooling off, preparing hopefully for a new album and tour...
__________________
10,000 Ænimatic Lateralosaurs Opiating in the Undertow of a Salivalous swamp.
-I WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEARED-
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #2453
Level 10 - Vehement
 
sonnyboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 2,063
Bincount™: 20
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
That's funny that you said that, 'cause I just had this argument about which band is better with a friend of mine last night. He loves Radiohead and thinks Thom Yorke's voice is 10X better than Maynard. I disagree...love both bands, but TOOL is much better.
Yorke does not have the vocal range that Maynard has. And on a good night I think Maynard may have one of the best live voices I have ever heard.

Also, Maynard has not lost anything vocally like some people have surmised. The scream he let out during Stinkfist the second night in San Diego (second leg) was mind blowing and hardly the sound of someone who has 'lost it'.

I'm not sure if 'lazy' is the best way to describe the lack of different songs, but it's not far off. I think it has more to do with lack of motivation and that they mainly just want to play the new stuff. Either way the impact on the fans is the same- we want some new songs! Like Jimmy- did I mention that one?? :P

Anyway, I stand by what I said in the setlist thread. I have been enjoying the sets as they are for the most part and whatever angst I have about the setlist seems to melt away once I am watching them.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-14-2007 at 11:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #2454
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 223
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

tool blows away radiohead in concert and on any album. tool isthe best thing to happen to music since hendrix. no band compares to what tool is doing and has down. i guess thats my opinion though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #2455
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Matthew77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 951
Bincount™: 15
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
That's funny that you said that, 'cause I just had this argument about which band is better with a friend of mine last night. He loves Radiohead and thinks Thom Yorke's voice is 10X better than Maynard. I disagree...love both bands, but TOOL is much better.
I agree with you 100%. Even as a band Tool is better than Radiohead. Every Tool song rocks, can't say the same for Radiohead.
__________________
10/24/96, 8/12/97, 8/23/98, 8/6/01, 8/7/01, 11/6/01, 11/8/01, 10/2/02, 11/23/02, 8/27/06, 12/4/07, 7/10/10, 6/17/17
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #2456
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Ghostwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Bincount™: 30
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Can someone PLEASE make a list of every single song they have played on this tour? I would but I am too lazy to check through all of the concert setlists... Somebody please!?
__________________
10,000 Ænimatic Lateralosaurs Opiating in the Undertow of a Salivalous swamp.
-I WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEARED-
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #2457
Level 10 - Vehement
 
sonnyboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 2,063
Bincount™: 20
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Geesus tap dancing Christ the band just cancelled their Aug 15th date! Oh man, Maynard had better be good to go on Saturday or I am pwned!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #2458
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 192
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Can someone PLEASE make a list of every single song they have played on this tour? I would but I am too lazy to check through all of the concert setlists... Somebody please!?
I might have a few hours to spare. Give me a little time and I'll try to come up with a list. What do you want? Everything going back to the warm up tour in '06, or just the songs played during the '07 leg of the tour.
__________________
"Arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded."
___________________________________________

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....

Last edited by Rhapsody; 08-14-2007 at 06:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #2459
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 192
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Geesus tap dancing Christ the band just cancelled their Aug 15th date! Oh man, Maynard had better be good to go on Saturday or I am pwned!
He sure gets sick a lot. Although I must admit that I'm suprised that this is the first cancellation this year...they're usually good for at least 2 or 3. Heck, I'm still annoyed about the Madison show last year. I hyped the show up to my friend to the point where he was really looking forward to going. Unfortunately when they came back to Chicago this year he wasn't able to go because he had to work. Ugh!!

Let's hope they are able to go on Saturday!
__________________
"Arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded."
___________________________________________

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #2460
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
cirkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 182
Bincount™: 12
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Can someone PLEASE make a list of every single song they have played on this tour? I would but I am too lazy to check through all of the concert setlists... Somebody please!?
In album order:

Opiate

Sober
Swamp Song
Flood

Stinkfist (extended and normal)
Forty Six & 2
Pushit
Ænema

EBA/The Patient
Schism (extended)
Lateralus (extended and normal)

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings/10,000 Days
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring (once)
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Intension (intro)/Right in Two
__________________
Tower Theatre, PA - 5/17/06 | City Center, NY - 5/20/06
Camden, NJ - 9/28/06 | Meadowlands, NJ - 10/06/06
Atlantic City, NJ - 6/09/07 | Holmdel, NJ - 7/18/07
Atlanta, GA - 7/27/09 | Fairfax, VA - 7/30/09
All Points West, NJ - 8/01/09
Kansas City, MO - 6/25/10 | St. Louis, MO - 6/26/10
Sacramento, CA - 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #2461
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 192
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirkus View Post
In album order:

Opiate

Sober
Swamp Song
Flood

Stinkfist (extended and normal)
Forty Six & 2
Pushit
Ænema

EBA/The Patient
Schism (extended)
Lateralus (extended and normal)

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings/10,000 Days
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring (once)
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Intension (intro)/Right in Two
Hahaha! I was just getting ready to start the list.
__________________
"Arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded."
___________________________________________

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #2462
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In The Fucking Zone
Posts: 531
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Sorry, but I have to do this. Compare this to last tour. Sorry.

Cold & Ugly
Opiate

Intolerance
Prison Sex (OTRM and original)
Sober
Swamp Song
Undertow
4 Degrees
Flood (with and without intro)

Stinkfist (extended/normal)
Eulogy
H.
46&2
jimmy
Pushit (Ænima and Salival versions)
Ænema
Third Eye

The Grudge
(EBA) The Patient
Schism (different intros and middle parts)
Parabol
Parabola
Ticks & Leeches
Lateralus
Disposition
Reflection
Triad

Wings for Marie intro to Lateralus.
__________________
"You tried your hardest and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #2463
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In The Fucking Zone
Posts: 531
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Geesus tap dancing Christ the band just cancelled their Aug 15th date! Oh man, Maynard had better be good to go on Saturday or I am pwned!
Getting t3h pwn from t3h Nard ftl.
__________________
"You tried your hardest and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #2464
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
white horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: melbourne/nagoya
Posts: 377
Bincount™: 52
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Geesus tap dancing Christ the band just cancelled their Aug 15th date! Oh man, Maynard had better be good to go on Saturday or I am pwned!
oh god that sucks, i know how you feel, i travelled interstate for three NIN shows earlier this year only to have two of them postponed til September when I can't make them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #2465
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: colorado
Posts: 216
Bincount™: 5
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3poundsoflove View Post
they are said to be great musicians, but what great musicians are they, if they're not able to play different songs without many reharsals?
No, this cannot be the point. They are just too lazy and dont care about the fans.
It's not that in one year the crowd has changed: this european leg is going to be attended from the same people that were there in June/July 06 and November/December 06.
Don't fool around with us: it's the same show once again. I cannot believe that they're not able to play simple songs like Intolerance, Prison Sex, 4°, H., Jimmy, Opiate, Part of Me, The Patient, Triad and even Intension if they rearrange it a little.
have you put any thought into what it takes from the band and the off stage crew to put together the show you see today?? the main reason they can't randomly throw in a new song to the set is because of a) maynard's voice (check the tool page news section) and b) the amazing stage show that you get to see. there is so much more to tool's live show that you're not taking in to consideration that determines the set list. don't be a fucking ass and say they don't care about the fans because they definetly do. LOOK AT THE FUCKING AMAZING STAGE SHOW YOUR GETTING.. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT?? i sure as hell haven't... throwing in the songs you listed without weeks and weeks of proper preperation would destroy the effect of the live show. and i guaruntee you we won't be hearing triad ever again until the live dvd comes out.
__________________
5/10/06 - 6/21/06 - 8/30/06 - 5/09/07 - 11/21/07 - 11/23/07 - 6/28/10 - 6/29/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #2466
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: colorado
Posts: 216
Bincount™: 5
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

oh and one last thing.. look at how old the guys are now. this isn't the aenema days people.... get a fucking clue and be thankful for what they can give us now adays.
__________________
5/10/06 - 6/21/06 - 8/30/06 - 5/09/07 - 11/21/07 - 11/23/07 - 6/28/10 - 6/29/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 03:45 AM   #2467
mvb
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Netherlands, Eindhoven
Posts: 49
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDieselFiesta View Post
have you put any thought into what it takes from the band and the off stage crew to put together the show you see today?? the main reason they can't randomly throw in a new song to the set is because of a) maynard's voice (check the tool page news section) and b) the amazing stage show that you get to see. there is so much more to tool's live show that you're not taking in to consideration that determines the set list. don't be a fucking ass and say they don't care about the fans because they definetly do. LOOK AT THE FUCKING AMAZING STAGE SHOW YOUR GETTING.. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT?? i sure as hell haven't... throwing in the songs you listed without weeks and weeks of proper preperation would destroy the effect of the live show. and i guaruntee you we won't be hearing triad ever again until the live dvd comes out.
Have you ever seen the show of the chemical brothers or daft punk? They're at least as good, if not better than the tool stage.
It's Tool thought that we all should get inspired by their music, how come we get so little music then?
Besides that the whole show is operated by computers, automatically or with a push of a button. Not much effort to do a change in that. And isn't life not all about taking risks?
I don't care if they don't play more other stuff. But they can do a couple, since they play pushit, flood, swamp song and the patient. Those were good shows, so why the hell won't they play it more frequent?
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #2468
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 35
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

They COULD have made a good setlist for Europe.

For example : I have seen Tool 5 times in Europe during the last 2 years, and on none of those 5 shows they've played Wings/10,000 days.

I can imagine a lot of people from around Belgium/Holland/France have seen the same shows that I did, and are dying to see them do the masterpiece ...

I was lucky enough to see them in Arizona (Tucson) earlier this year, with a better light show, and a better setlist (wings/10K + pushit!!!) ... and if they would just take THAT setlist to Europe, I think nobody would be complaining ...

Last edited by tomadde; 08-15-2007 at 06:03 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #2469
Unreasonably Reasonable
 
McRoggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6,668
Bincount™: 8396
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

I saw them 3 times in 2006 and I saw Wings for Marie/10,000 Days once. And I'm Dutch.
(It was in Germany, only 50km over the border).

Also is 10,000 Days a song for a festival? No.
__________________
Light at the Horizon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #2470
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 35
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
I saw them 3 times in 2006 and I saw Wings for Marie/10,000 Days once. And I'm Dutch.
(It was in Germany, only 50km over the border).

Also is 10,000 Days a song for a festival? No.
Luxembourg / Paris / Leuven / Brussels / Werchter

That's what I mean with putting a good setlist together. If they can play it in Germany a couple of days later, why can't they play it on 1 of the 2 Belgian shows ...

And what is a "festival song". I don't think Rosetta Stoned is a festival song aswell...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #2471
Unreasonably Reasonable
 
McRoggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6,668
Bincount™: 8396
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Rosetta Stoned is a mothafuckin'heck of a festival song.

Personally I do think the setlist has been outstanding this tour.

Untill they started the latest European leg.
__________________
Light at the Horizon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #2472
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 35
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Rosetta Stoned is a mothafuckin'heck of a festival song.

Personally I do think the setlist has been outstanding this tour.

Untill they started the latest European leg.
It has been good enough. Not great, but good enough ... but now, I'm just dissapointed ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #2473
Unreasonably Reasonable
 
McRoggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6,668
Bincount™: 8396
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

It has been great, I mean:

Stinkfist ext.
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism ext.
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

is pretty much the best setlist Tool has ever played.
__________________
Light at the Horizon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #2474
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In The Fucking Zone
Posts: 531
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
It has been great, I mean:

Stinkfist ext.
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism ext.
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

is pretty much the best setlist Tool has ever played.
You like Swamp Song over Pushit?
__________________
"You tried your hardest and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #2475
Unreasonably Reasonable
 
McRoggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6,668
Bincount™: 8396
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

I heard Pushit in 2001.
I always disliked Swamp Song

Now, not anymore!
__________________
Light at the Horizon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #2476
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Ghostwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Bincount™: 30
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirkus View Post
In album order:

Opiate

Sober
Swamp Song
Flood

Stinkfist (extended and normal)
Forty Six & 2
Pushit
Ænema

EBA/The Patient
Schism (extended)
Lateralus (extended and normal)

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings/10,000 Days
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring (once)
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Intension (intro)/Right in Two
Oh my God, I love you! Are you sure that this is correct though?
__________________
10,000 Ænimatic Lateralosaurs Opiating in the Undertow of a Salivalous swamp.
-I WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEARED-
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #2477
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 35
Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

I'd wish they skipped Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and replaced it by The Grudge, Pushit or Parabol/Parabola ...

Now thàt would be awesome. :-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #2478
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Ghostwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Bincount™: 30
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
It has been great, I mean:

Stinkfist ext.
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism ext.
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

is pretty much the best setlist Tool has ever played.
Their best setlist that I saw in this tour was at Mansfield MA when they played Flood AND Pushit. I had never been so excited in my life until an asshole security guard ruined the climax of Pushit for me...
__________________
10,000 Ænimatic Lateralosaurs Opiating in the Undertow of a Salivalous swamp.
-I WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEARED-
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #2479
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Ghostwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Bincount™: 30
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadde View Post
I'd wish they skipped Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and replaced it by The Grudge, Pushit or Parabol/Parabola ...

Now thàt would be awesome. :-)
To be honest with you I am getting a little bit tired of seeing Schism live, so I wouldn't mind if they replaced that with something like (hopefully) The Grudge or The Patient (please Maynard, PLEASE)...
__________________
10,000 Ænimatic Lateralosaurs Opiating in the Undertow of a Salivalous swamp.
-I WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEARED-
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #2480
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Ghostwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Bincount™: 30
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirkus View Post
In album order:

Opiate

Sober
Swamp Song
Flood

Stinkfist (extended and normal)
Forty Six & 2
Pushit
Ænema

EBA/The Patient
Schism (extended)
Lateralus (extended and normal)

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings/10,000 Days
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring (once)
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Intension (intro)/Right in Two
WAIT! When did they play The Patient!?
__________________
10,000 Ænimatic Lateralosaurs Opiating in the Undertow of a Salivalous swamp.
-I WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEARED-
OFFLINE |  


Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

Powered by: vBulletin 3.8.7 Patch Level 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.