Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
jnick3810
01-18-2007, 11:59 PM

at the begining of the song the guy seems to remember everything about the event
"10 to 2 AM, X, Yogi DMT, and a box of Krispy Kremes,
in my "need to know" pose, just outside of Area 51
Contemplating the whole "chosen people" thingy
when a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...

Holy fucking shit!"

but then later on in the song he cant seem to remember the most important part, the part where they told him the "details of our ending,"
wonder why that is??? seems like he links everything that the alein does with a pop culture reference then, when it comes to the important part he cant remember anything at all, just thought it was strange
Old 01-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
anyone notice

at the begining of the song the guy seems to remember everything about the event
"10 to 2 AM, X, Yogi DMT, and a box of Krispy Kremes,
in my "need to know" pose, just outside of Area 51
Contemplating the whole "chosen people" thingy
when a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...

Holy fucking shit!"

but then later on in the song he cant seem to remember the most important part, the part where they told him the "details of our ending,"
wonder why that is??? seems like he links everything that the alein does with a pop culture reference then, when it comes to the important part he cant remember anything at all, just thought it was strange
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
oldhickory's Avatar oldhickory
01-19-2007, 09:59 AM

maybe because he is so wrapped up in the material world that he can not integrate what he saw in the spiritual.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 323
Re: anyone notice

maybe because he is so wrapped up in the material world that he can not integrate what he saw in the spiritual.
01-19-2007, 04:45 PM

I think you're asking the right questions.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

joetool's Avatar joetool
01-21-2007, 08:26 AM

I LOVE TRYING TO PLAY THAT SONG ON THE DRUMS
Old 01-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

I LOVE TRYING TO PLAY THAT SONG ON THE DRUMS
dissected-detcessid's Avatar dissected-detcessid
01-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Yeah, on this alien abduction shows they say they remember everything up until the acutal abduction, then their mind takes over.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Yeah, on this alien abduction shows they say they remember everything up until the acutal abduction, then their mind takes over.
ELBAZ
01-24-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
i like were your going with this ...
Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
i like were your going with this ...
jnick3810
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissected-detcessid View Post
so he was flashy thinged like men in black, why would they tell him all this stuff then flashy thing him?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
so he was flashy thinged like men in black, why would they tell him all this stuff then flashy thing him?
tryptosaur
03-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Something obviously blew his mind, whether it was actually DMT from an outside source or was somehow triggered by the actual banana-thing he describes in the sky.
Something that has been known to occur with people who have had alien-abduction experiences is that the actual memory of what occurred is replaced by a false memory of something benign and rediculous like a bunny rabbit hopping across your neighbor's 28 story apartment building or something to that effect.
This could explain why he has the supposed memory of the Crispy Cremes, the X(Ecstasy?), the Yogi-DMT---not a likely combination---most obviously the Yogi-DMT(a harmless herbal tea purported to be drank by mystics during special phases of the moon) along with Crispy Cremes. Undiluted ancient wisdom in the form of non-GMO, Earth-friendly sacred herbs for balancing your estrogen with high-fructose corn syrup-covered obesity-producing health-ravaging doughnuts? Mix in a bit of South American rainforest magical-vision-generating DMT with some X---probably MDMA the rave drug that opens your heart to everyone and everything and whether these are the actual facts of the matter or they were just somehow a mnemonic smokescreen doesn't seem to matter as much as the meaning of it all within the larger context of first 10,000 Days-- and the Latin word for "day" is "diem"--pronounced DM -as in DMT- sorry, I got sidetracked--but to also look at the meaning within the even larger context of TOOL's entire body of work.
I hope you realize I'm being a bit facescious(all vowels included).
Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Something obviously blew his mind, whether it was actually DMT from an outside source or was somehow triggered by the actual banana-thing he describes in the sky.
Something that has been known to occur with people who have had alien-abduction experiences is that the actual memory of what occurred is replaced by a false memory of something benign and rediculous like a bunny rabbit hopping across your neighbor's 28 story apartment building or something to that effect.
This could explain why he has the supposed memory of the Crispy Cremes, the X(Ecstasy?), the Yogi-DMT---not a likely combination---most obviously the Yogi-DMT(a harmless herbal tea purported to be drank by mystics during special phases of the moon) along with Crispy Cremes. Undiluted ancient wisdom in the form of non-GMO, Earth-friendly sacred herbs for balancing your estrogen with high-fructose corn syrup-covered obesity-producing health-ravaging doughnuts? Mix in a bit of South American rainforest magical-vision-generating DMT with some X---probably MDMA the rave drug that opens your heart to everyone and everything and whether these are the actual facts of the matter or they were just somehow a mnemonic smokescreen doesn't seem to matter as much as the meaning of it all within the larger context of first 10,000 Days-- and the Latin word for "day" is "diem"--pronounced DM -as in DMT- sorry, I got sidetracked--but to also look at the meaning within the even larger context of TOOL's entire body of work.
I hope you realize I'm being a bit facescious(all vowels included).
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
03-14-2007, 03:55 PM

I don't know if anybody's said this yet but considering this guy (Dave as we know him) supposedly took Exstacy, DMT & Blotter Acid all at once.....he musta' been FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKKKKKEEEDDD UP

I've tried X and Acid together once many many years ago and it was EXTREMELY overwhelming...too much too fast, I couldn't even function....just sitting there watching "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"...cool idea, but also a very bad one...lol

Last edited by Inner_Eulogy; 03-14-2007 at 03:58 PM..
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I don't know if anybody's said this yet but considering this guy (Dave as we know him) supposedly took Exstacy, DMT & Blotter Acid all at once.....he musta' been FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKKKKKEEEDDD UP

I've tried X and Acid together once many many years ago and it was EXTREMELY overwhelming...too much too fast, I couldn't even function....just sitting there watching "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"...cool idea, but also a very bad one...lol

Last edited by Inner_Eulogy; 03-14-2007 at 03:58 PM..
]v[edusa
03-14-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
i hear that aliens erase your memory of the abduction too, but why would this alien do it if he was delivering a message for him to remember?

"A message of hope for those who choose to hear it
and a warning for those who do not."

did it ever come across to anyone that he was one of those who didnt choose to hear it????

he seems to remember everything else perfectly fine with great detail but the message of course.

notice how hes scared and is trying to warn people? lets say that he did listen to the message, then the message would be of hope right? and he wouldnt have even been in the hospital if he heard something hopeful now would he?

Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 51

Quote:
i hear that aliens erase your memory of the abduction too, but why would this alien do it if he was delivering a message for him to remember?

did it ever come across to anyone that he was one of those who didnt choose to hear it????

he seems to remember everything else perfectly fine with great detail but the message of course.

notice how hes scared and is trying to warn people? lets say that he did listen to the message, then the message would be of hope right? and he wouldnt have even been in the hospital if he heard something hopeful now would he?

03-15-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllvllledusa View Post

Which would bring me to the conclusion that the song's point is more of a "lay off the fucking drugs". I dunno, I'm still not sure but, in response to the point you made...maybe it is exactly that, Dave told Maynard this fucked up crazy story about what happened to him while he did all that shit and was so fucked up he (Dave) thought it all really happened. At a later time Maynard thought, why not make a song about that and how this guy Dave got so reckless with his drug usage that this crazy ass shit happened and landed him in the hospital. It's not to say that Maynard's against drugs necessarily, we all know he's done them before but, I would think he either doesn't anymore these days or seldom does, and even when he did...he educated himself about them and used them responsibly..unlike most teenagers who just take a bunch of shit to get fucked up. Which may be exactly what this Dave guy did, went out to area 51 and took all kinds of shit and got so fucked up, and this is his story. Maynard could be using this song as a message for people to chill the fuck out with that shii-at!!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Which would bring me to the conclusion that the song's point is more of a "lay off the fucking drugs". I dunno, I'm still not sure but, in response to the point you made...maybe it is exactly that, Dave told Maynard this fucked up crazy story about what happened to him while he did all that shit and was so fucked up he (Dave) thought it all really happened. At a later time Maynard thought, why not make a song about that and how this guy Dave got so reckless with his drug usage that this crazy ass shit happened and landed him in the hospital. It's not to say that Maynard's against drugs necessarily, we all know he's done them before but, I would think he either doesn't anymore these days or seldom does, and even when he did...he educated himself about them and used them responsibly..unlike most teenagers who just take a bunch of shit to get fucked up. Which may be exactly what this Dave guy did, went out to area 51 and took all kinds of shit and got so fucked up, and this is his story. Maynard could be using this song as a message for people to chill the fuck out with that shii-at!!
hobblegobble's Avatar hobblegobble
03-15-2007, 09:32 AM

Last edited by hobblegobble; 03-15-2007 at 03:57 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

Last edited by hobblegobble; 03-15-2007 at 03:57 PM..
waltz46n2's Avatar waltz46n2
03-16-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:

He forgot his pen....
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

He forgot his pen....
03-16-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz46n2 View Post
He forgot his pen....

he was asking him to listen but he seemed to be too worried about just writing it down. all he had to do was use his memory.

"Then he looked right through me
With somniferous almond eyes
Don't even know what that means
Must remember to write it down"

i dont know for sure or not but i think the alien was trying to give the message to him telepathically. this will give you holographic memory if you choose to listen, but he was too worried about remembering by writing it down. to write is something that second level consciousness beings do in order to remember. maybe if he chose to just remember by using holographic memory then he would have remembered every last detail. the ability to take in holographic memory is a quality of the third reality or christ consciousness and this should give us "hope", but he chose to try to remember disharmonically through trying to write so in a way he was not listening and took the message as more of a "warning".

i dont know.... i just thought of that just now. im probably way off but thats my knowledge of memory in different levels of consciosuness.

i still kinda feel that this song has basically the same message as third eye. that you should stop prying your third eye open and try to find it by the means of a spiritual path (not through drugs) and that you should stop acting like a fool with psychedelics.... my views of tool songs change a lot though.

Last edited by ]v[edusa; 03-16-2007 at 08:40 AM..
Old 03-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz46n2 View Post
He forgot his pen....

he was asking him to listen but he seemed to be too worried about just writing it down. all he had to do was use his memory.

"Then he looked right through me
With somniferous almond eyes
Don't even know what that means
Must remember to write it down"

i dont know for sure or not but i think the alien was trying to give the message to him telepathically. this will give you holographic memory if you choose to listen, but he was too worried about remembering by writing it down. to write is something that second level consciousness beings do in order to remember. maybe if he chose to just remember by using holographic memory then he would have remembered every last detail. the ability to take in holographic memory is a quality of the third reality or christ consciousness and this should give us "hope", but he chose to try to remember disharmonically through trying to write so in a way he was not listening and took the message as more of a "warning".

i dont know.... i just thought of that just now. im probably way off but thats my knowledge of memory in different levels of consciosuness.

i still kinda feel that this song has basically the same message as third eye. that you should stop prying your third eye open and try to find it by the means of a spiritual path (not through drugs) and that you should stop acting like a fool with psychedelics.... my views of tool songs change a lot though.

Last edited by ]v[edusa; 03-16-2007 at 08:40 AM..
Crissaegrim
03-16-2007, 08:19 AM

I kind of took the song as being about a crazy guy thinking he got abducted, not an actual, literal event. This abducted guy's story sounds like a lot of abduction stories, in that he thinks he was taken for some reason. like he is special.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

I kind of took the song as being about a crazy guy thinking he got abducted, not an actual, literal event. This abducted guy's story sounds like a lot of abduction stories, in that he thinks he was taken for some reason. like he is special.
03-16-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissaegrim View Post
Wrong. It's already been stated previously by Blair or whoever that this song WAS in fact, written about a guy Maynard knew named Dave.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Wrong. It's already been stated previously by Blair or whoever that this song WAS in fact, written about a guy Maynard knew named Dave.
03-16-2007, 10:14 AM

Also, I think the songs go hand in hand if you think of it like this. Somebody in another thread had mentioned how they didn't think the softer Intension sounded right coming after the craziness of Rosetta Stoned but, If anybody's experienced a hard trip, after the craziness and peeking hours later you finally start coming down and everything seems calm and peaceful and at least for me that's about the point I start thinking deeply about nature and thinking through ideas and feelings. The calm after the storm per sey. Maybe Intension coming after Rosetta Stoned is Dave's calm down period after getting out of the hospital and then Right In Two is him in random deep thought about how pitiful and greedy humanity can be. Then comes Viginti Tres, when he finally falls asleep he has this vivid crazy ass dream of being abducted or whatever it's supposed to represent.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Also, I think the songs go hand in hand if you think of it like this. Somebody in another thread had mentioned how they didn't think the softer Intension sounded right coming after the craziness of Rosetta Stoned but, If anybody's experienced a hard trip, after the craziness and peeking hours later you finally start coming down and everything seems calm and peaceful and at least for me that's about the point I start thinking deeply about nature and thinking through ideas and feelings. The calm after the storm per sey. Maybe Intension coming after Rosetta Stoned is Dave's calm down period after getting out of the hospital and then Right In Two is him in random deep thought about how pitiful and greedy humanity can be. Then comes Viginti Tres, when he finally falls asleep he has this vivid crazy ass dream of being abducted or whatever it's supposed to represent.
03-16-2007, 12:45 PM

How am I wrong? I don't care if it was written about a guy named Dave that Maynard knew. He wasn't really abducted by aliens and forgot to write down a message. The point of the song to me is a funny story about a guy on acid, not the details of the abduction. It is funny that he remembers every little detail but forgot to write down the message. I think it was a good catch by the original poster, but it points out the comedy of the song, not details of the abduction.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

How am I wrong? I don't care if it was written about a guy named Dave that Maynard knew. He wasn't really abducted by aliens and forgot to write down a message. The point of the song to me is a funny story about a guy on acid, not the details of the abduction. It is funny that he remembers every little detail but forgot to write down the message. I think it was a good catch by the original poster, but it points out the comedy of the song, not details of the abduction.
waltz46n2's Avatar waltz46n2
03-17-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:

I agree. It is a great song but is very comical and filled with mysetery, suspense, and some great one-liners. Isn't it just as likely that this is not based on a true story but is non the less a great story written and performed by Tool?
By the way with all the sexual experiments, anal probing, and fetal spooning, it's no wonder he forgot the message.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

I agree. It is a great song but is very comical and filled with mysetery, suspense, and some great one-liners. Isn't it just as likely that this is not based on a true story but is non the less a great story written and performed by Tool?
By the way with all the sexual experiments, anal probing, and fetal spooning, it's no wonder he forgot the message.
03-17-2007, 07:59 AM

"I agree. It is a great song but is very comical and filled with mystery, suspense, and some great one-liners. Isn't it just as likely that this is not based on a true story but is non the less a great story written and performed by Tool?"

And I agree to this, who knows or cares ? I found the song funny too, or actually a bit tragicomical in a very entertaining way.

"By the way with all the sexual experiments, anal probing, and fetal spooning, it's no wonder he forgot the message"

Ahahhaaa.... that's funny !
Old 03-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #20
On Probation

Bincount™: 36

"I agree. It is a great song but is very comical and filled with mystery, suspense, and some great one-liners. Isn't it just as likely that this is not based on a true story but is non the less a great story written and performed by Tool?"

And I agree to this, who knows or cares ? I found the song funny too, or actually a bit tragicomical in a very entertaining way.

"By the way with all the sexual experiments, anal probing, and fetal spooning, it's no wonder he forgot the message"

Ahahhaaa.... that's funny !
TWENTY-THREE's Avatar TWENTY-THREE
03-17-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
I think your giving just enough answers. Sorry. . .
Old 03-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #21
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
I think your giving just enough answers. Sorry. . .
07-21-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick3810 View Post
hahhaahaha i just woke my roommate up cause i can't stop laughing out loud. hahaha. brilliant.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick3810 View Post
hahhaahaha i just woke my roommate up cause i can't stop laughing out loud. hahaha. brilliant.
07-28-2007, 03:09 PM

The man took DMT. At higher doses, many people have intense, often highly, highly terrifying or profound experiences, only to forget everything once they come down, like it was a dream.

He remembers those details because that all happened before the drug truly set in.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

The man took DMT. At higher doses, many people have intense, often highly, highly terrifying or profound experiences, only to forget everything once they come down, like it was a dream.

He remembers those details because that all happened before the drug truly set in.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply