opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 AM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/21 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre

I was one of the first 20 people in line and we got hooked up with 8th row seats. Amazing. That was the most electric atmosphere that I've ever felt at a concert. The whole day was surreal from the long wait in line too seeing the band and the lightning and hail storm. Unreal. At a loss for words. The new stuff sounded the best tonight.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 07:22 AM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Hey all, great fucking show. My first tool show and me and brother had lots of fun. You might've seen me walking around looking all staticy. I was the white white kid with the hemp necklace lol... My head is still going over all the songs the guys played. Can't wait till next time...

Timbob
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

great show, great setlist, The Pot was awesome. No complaints at all. Security yelled at me for trying to take a pic with my phone, it came out shitty anyway.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #44
Rod
tdn bracketologist 07

Bincount™: 65

Best ... thanks TooL for making this the last stop on the warm-up tour. We were pretty lucky, it's appreciated.

The curtain went up at just about 8:30 on the dot and it was on. "Brokeback" Maynard was allready on his riser and everyone, Danny, Justin, and Adam were in their customary spots and rocking. The entire place stood as the curtain rose and I don't think anyone sat for the whole show... Danny was sporting an Elton Brand Clipps jersey, what's wrong with Cassell, and Adam and Justin were in some nondescript black clothing.

I don't know how he does it but Maynard makes you feel like he's singing directly to you. He was pretty animated, bobbing and weaving, pacing around his riser like a caged animal belting out the lyricas, stepping into the songs. Awesome.

About half way through 46&2 the guy next to me said it was the best $200 he ever spent. We both agreed these guys could play anything they wanted and we'd be happy. Every song they played made me laugh, every song had a "Holly fucking shit" moment, phenomenal. Yeah I couldn't hear shit for some of the lyrics and it was tough to make out a lot of what Maynard said at times but it was so much fun. I still can't stop smiling just thinking about it.

Very cool that we got Jambi, the Pot, Right in Two, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, and Vicarious all in one show.

During the Pot, the friend of the dude next to me shows up with a dibbah, pretty good timing. I asked him if he knew what the hell they were playing after their interlude right before Vicarious and he had no idea. I'm not sure what it was.

They seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Lateralus is still king but it was fun with the whole crowd singing along to Aenema at the end.

Until next time...

Carl: Yeah, it's the American tradition to cut people down to size because they've brought so much joy into our lives.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I believe we wandered around outside for a while, shooting the breeze, until right before we got into "line" at 7 (i think), the wind began to pick up and howl, the clouds started building creepily, and in sight of the door, the sky opened up. it was fucking awesome.

i was in the left front corner of the second orchestra section, and the only band member sighting i can claim is Adam walking past our section and people kinda going "hey!" as he disappeared into the side hallway thing.

i've been hearing a lot that the vocals were too quiet, which i think may have depended on where you were, because i almost thought they were a little in the front.

ahhhh such a great show! (even with all the screwups, haha)
Old 05-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #46

wow that was insane.. dannys drum solo at the end of lateralus was fucking amazing..

i love how maynard said dont say we didnt warn you before playing aenima
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

That put a huge smile on my face. This was my 4th Tool show, and I never thought I'd get to see them again for some reason. The 3rd time I saw them at Amherst in 2002 was the most amazing concert experience of my life ("AMHERST....third time's the charm."-maynard) and I had always suspected that some horrifying calamity would take place in the world of tool and I would never again experience another show or hear another album. I didn't think it would go any farther than Lateralus. Well, they've proven me wrong, and I am so glad. Now I feel like there is no end to the amount of music these guys could potentially put out. I feel like it could just keep going and going...

There is a unique aura I am left with everytime I see Tool. It hadn't quite hit me during or immediately after the show last night (although I did rock extremely hard, my neck is killing me). It took some time for it to sink in, but on the ride back I was positively GLOWING (I felt kinda like this when I was walking out of best buy with 10,000 days, just couldnt believe I was holding a new Tool album).

Was the show better than the last? I dunno, I feel so good right now, even the morning after, but for me I think it could have been a little better, i.e, the intense heat at the top of the balcony, having to kind of tip-toe and lean forward to see all of Adam and Justin over people's heads, relatively short show (although I dont think I could have handled anymore or that heat, nor could I possibly sweat anymore). And yeah there were some awkward moments between songs which looked like techinical difficulties, and odd silences, transitions. I guess that's the tool way though "yadda yadda yadda, silence, next song"

There were some fuck ups, like on rosetta stoned, right in two, and Im sure a few others, where Adam came in too early or too late. But when I listen to some of those instrumental sections they get so involved and you really have to be thinking to follow the rhytms, combined with the slightly muddied sound, it must be extremely difficult sometimes to find where you are and come in at the right time, especially when everyones in a diff time signature! I think I def saw Danny fuck up a couple times but I dont think anyone noticed. Most people dont notice that shit.

But hey, think about it, we got nearly all of 10,000 days performed minus wings part 1 and 2. 11 songs total I believe, my favorite number.

Thanks TOOL. I will see you again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show as always. Supreme musicianship by all four. The sound was actually better than I thought it was going to be, even on the balcony. I have to say though at the end of the little interlude when they were all sitting on Maynard's little platform, the crowd noise was simply deafening. That had to be one of the loudest crowds I have heard. Maybe it was the low ceiling.

Pretty funny moment when a drumstick just flew out of Danny's hand in the middle of one song, can't remember which one. It just flung across the stage towards Adam. I could see Danny and Justin laughing about it. Of course, never noticed any missed beats. That dude is just unbelievable.

And yeah it was hot on the balcony. I guess back when Tchaikovsky played the orpheum they didn't give a crap about the people in the cheap seats either...

Last edited by hkfooey; 05-22-2006 at 10:41 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Alrighty then.
Picture this if you will.

I get to the Orpheum around 7. It’s POURING rain. We are wet and miserable. Long line to get in, security is tight. Line loops all the way around the building- when I finally turn the corner and see the Orpheum - there’s a little sliver of clear sky around the grey with a rainbow above the venue. He he. Would loved to have a camera – get the “May 21: Tool” billboard with a rainbow above it. The “Jesus saves” people are wasting their breath. Lots of people are using the flyers as makeshift hats.

Sign tool fans are cool: Some people have umbrellas, and when they get to the front of the line, they pass them back over their heads to the end of the line. Reusable umbrellas. Pretty cool to see a conveyor belt of umbrellas going back.

Security pats me down and I’m in. So f’in pumped to be inside. It’s like we are the golden ticket winners. Have to stop and take a breath, drink a beer, and say “yeah- it’s happening”.

Strange being at a concert by myself. 2nd time in my life, the other time was… the last Tool concert I saw. I can talk my wife into most shows, but not Tool. No interest. Her loss. Too much $$ for my friends. I had to bend over to the scalpers. At first, spending that much for a show seemed crazy. But after watching craigslist and ebay for a while, the sticker shock wore off. This may hurt a little but it’s something I’ll get used to.

Seat was pretty good- close up on the balcony. 8:30 sharp and away we go.

Sound- eh. Not so good. I’d read a lot of reviews of other shows that said the same. Loud, muddy, bass-heavy. Couldn’t understand a word Maynard said. So I was prepared for this. Question was- did it bother me. Answer: not at all. The whole place was so into it- such a sing-along, that I really didn’t care.

Setlist: Again, I’d been following the reports, so I knew what to expect. I wasn’t disappointed. Right in Two and The Pot. Whoo hoo. No Sober, but I can live without that. All in all, was as happy with this as any of the other shows. Sure, it could have been longer. Would have liked the Patient.

Highlights: Stinkfist was a good opener. The balcony was rocking up and down like I haven’t felt since NIN. Lateralus was awesome. The whole building spiraled out together. I love Rosetta Stoned and was psyched they played it. Vocals on this were especially bad – with the bullhorn microphone thing- but I still loved it. Aenima- finally saw it! After 3 shows.

It was very hot.

Great night. Totally worth every $$.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #50
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 137

Amazing show. This was my number 7 show I think, and I liked this one alot better then some of the others. Great job, I would have never guessed this was their "warm up" tour.

Oh, and everyone loved my "Tool Sucks" t-shirt. ;)
Old 05-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #51
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setve
the friend i was with flipped out, because before one of the songs (lateralus?), adam did a slide with his pick. all night he had been wishing they would play prison sex, i knew they wouldn't, but adam had us both going.
Bah I was expecting Prison Sex too.. and started screaming. Oh well... :/
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

Drove from Maine to see the show. People drive like fucking maniacs in boston. I almost forgot how amazing tool is live until i saw them last night... This was my 6th time seeing them and was one of the best tool shows (if not the best) I've seen. My only complaint, from where i was (balc row r 205) maynards vocals sounded a little drowned out. Other then that though the show was amazing! Kinda wanted to hear something from undertow, but I was satisfied to get both Right in Two and The Pot. The drum solo in Right in Two was insane!

Great show, can't wait to see them again when they come back to the states.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

My first Tool show. It was not as amazing as I had expected/hoped it would be, and I am really sad to say that -- I certainly wasn't looking for faults or problems. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Maybe it's because the crowd wasn't that great (imo).
Maybe...

Before I complain I'll note the cool things: I liked how everyone was yelling outside when it started raining/thundering: an appropriate 'supernatural' interlude to Tool. Also cool to see Adam jump out of his armored car, pre-show (sure lots of people saw that). Adam again walked right in front of my section (left center orchestra) before the show -- probably wasn't more than 15 feet away from me. He was wearing a hat and looking down, had maybe 2 or 3 people with him -- but no one seemed to notice who he was except a couple people sitting next to me. Bad omen. It's not even that people were being polite -- I think they honestly didn't know who he was.

Security sucked ass. Outside the staff were complete assholes, before and after the show, and usually for no reason. Continually kicked out the few people who were dancing in the aisles (and I would have liked to join them). Shining flashlights at people for no reason, singling out people who weren't doing anything wrong, etc.

Crowd: Where I was sitting, people really didn't seem that into it. Surprising, considering we were really close and had a decent view. There were some random people like myself dancing, air-drumming and singing/screaming along, but it's kind of a drain when you feel like everyone else is just standing there. And that's how I felt -- it seemed different elsewhere, and I wish I was in a more enthusiastic part of the crowd. There *were* several very loud ladies to my left screaming and trying to get people excited before and during the show -- props ladies.

I could barely hear Maynard at all during the show. Whenever he talked it sounded garbled and I could only make out a few words -- everyone screaming didn't help. I heard him say something about a metronome -- I think before the Pot. It sounded interesting. Anyone else make it out?

Sound mixing in general: The bass sounded really muddy, which is a shame because Justin seemed to be having a really good time (unlike Adam, lol). I also don't think it was loud enough. When I go to a show like this I want to feel every note IN MY BODY -- basically I just felt the floor. Occasionally felt some drums or bass in my throat or stomach, but not nearly enough to satisfy... On the plus side, guitar (and drums, though not loud enough) was really clear. I wish people would have shut the fuck up during Lost Keys though, I think that's a really beautiful 'song.'

Ok now I'll get into my general criticism. I've been waiting to see Tool for something like 8 years. It took me 7 hours to get to the show, I willingly paid ridiculous prices for my ticket, hotel and all sorts of other stuff on top of that. I did it because I was sure they would amaze me -- and in that event I wouldn't mind at all paying for the expensive merch, and would look forward to supporting them again in the fall.

There are 2 things I look for when seeing a band live: 1) musicianship, and 2) performance, which can include energy/passion/dancing/musical switchups, etc. We all already know they're great musicians, so I wasn't surprised by that. I know that by listening to the albums. I felt, however, that Maynard in particular was lacking in passion and effort. He sung well, didn't fuck up anything badly -- but I don't think the definition of a good performance is not fucking up. I wouldn't mind if he fucked up a few notes if he was totally into the performance, really belting it out (like we were), dancing, having a good time. And I LOVE Maynard, so it hurts to say that. Maybe it's because he was still sick, and I can understand that. It's just not the performance I know he's capable of giving, and that disappoints me. (Maybe listening to the tracks of him at the Layne Staley benefit right beforehand was a bad idea... damn those are fucking amazing.)

Thought some of his 'dance moves,' especially at the end of Rosetta Stoned when he did that 'aw, shucks' gesture were funny. Mostly thought they were kind of lame though. And I've spent many hours/days/years watching live footage so I think I have the right to judge. He didn't really seem to be in his body -- mostly hand gestures/arm motions/the kicking thing that got kind of old after a while. He didn't really seem like he owned the stage; I don't know if he ever will as long as he dwells in the dark on his platform behind everyone.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it was a bad show. It was good, it was fun, I had a good time. But I never felt moved, I never got chills (as I almost inevitably do when I listen to their albums or live performances). I never really felt in kinship with anyone there (except the few people really dancing, who I saw from a distance and wanted to join with). The music was good, and they nailed pretty much everything. However, I felt the performance aspect was lacking, as well as the crowd (in my section at least, and it seemed the same in the back rows in general).

I'm looking forward to seeing them in a more general-admission environment though. Then I can adjust myself to suit my preferences...

Last edited by anfisechka; 05-22-2006 at 02:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

I dont understand why some people are being so crirical of the set list. My advice to you people would be to go to these types of shows with more of an open mind. You should give yourself to the band for the time you're there and experience their music the way they want you to.

Anyways, It was a great night. I thought the building was gonna come down the first few minutes of the show. That balcony was bouncing like a trampoline. The event staff was definitely a little too tight, but what can ya do....
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Wanted to list a few exceptions: Lateralus, The Pot and Aenima in particular were great, and the crowd seemed really into them/were widely singing along. I was really glad they played the Pot, that's one of my very favorites on the new album.

Last edited by anfisechka; 05-22-2006 at 02:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought the show sounded like mud. Completely dissappointing in that I saw NIN there last year and the sound was CRYSTAL clear. It seemed like the sound was much worse on the newer material, which adds to the fact that I think the sound guy needs to be replaced. I didn't notice any errors made by Maynard because I couldn't hear ANYTHING that he was saying at all (singing lyrics or talking between songs). I do think that the band members themselves seemed to be right on, but it's hard to tell since the only thing I could hear was bass reverb. They also seemed to be having lots of technical difficulties as well; they conferred amongst themselves in between songs for the first half of the show, and I noticed Maynard mucking about with his mic during one of the songs.

Overall very dissappointing, but I don't think it was due to a lack of talent, etc. by the band...only the sound guy / mixer and whoever is supposed to be managing their equipment.

Having said all that, I thought the set list was great, and I really enjoyed hearing Lateralus (it was one of the clearer songs). I was happy to hear Right In Two as well...it was one of the songs that they'd been switching up on their previous set lists. I'm looking forward to a better (sounding) show when they come back in the fall (or so I've heard...and hope!).
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #57

i was laughing at maynard pointing to himself while saying "Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by canorus
i don't think so dude, everyone was singing along on every song..what r u talking about? u don't skip verses in ur song to fool the audience.............
they are correct, he did the same thing at coachella to see who knew the words because that was the first live performance, he knew anybody singing had obviously downloaded the album before the release
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

I thought that the mega phone thing was amazing. not only the sound but how he used it, like both the mic and that at the same time.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #60
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquarter05
I thought that the mega phone thing was amazing. not only the sound but how he used it, like both the mic and that at the same time.
I agree about the security. One of them was guarding an entrance and I showed him my ticket and he pointed up and i thought he meant to go past him and up and started walking that way and he went fuckin nuts and shoved me back and had a fit. I think it's cause they are used to Operas n shit so when a rock concert comes they think lowly of us.

I agree with the above quote. Rosetta Stoned was the highlight of the night for me. Hope Maynard reads this after the other negative stuff about his performance on that song. The special microphone made it sound exactly like the album, i think. I thought it was absolutely amazing how he perfectly went between the microphones with perfect timing, using them both at some times. He managed it perfectly. And I could enjoy his vocal precision, even though i was in the balcony. I was like "wow he actually can talk that fast and keep in time with the music."

Obviously they fuckin rocked the night, but there's only one thing I would like to know. Do they perform the same as they used to? I only started seeing them this tour, but after downloading live songs I got the impression that they were the type of band that sounded just like the album, with equal intensity and precision. I boasted about them with this inference.

But on this tour they are not. I saw them at Caochella and at Boston and the vocal performance was basically the same. It's not like the album. I'm not saying it's bad, but he definitely does not engage his angry voice, is gentle with high notes in the song, and generally makes sure to keep a slight distance from the mic. I certainly couldn't imagine him performing anything like Pushit [live]. He definitely sings that song, but you can't say it's near the intensity that it is done on the album.

Most bands with screaming vocals are just like this, except for maybe Mudvayne and some others, because obviously they are only human and can't do that every show because they will damage their vocals, but was Tool always like this?

The point I'm bringing up is that I can't imagine any of the songs we heard tonight being put on an album as a live version like those that were put on Salival. Is Maynard done with performing like that, given his age or perhaps his wisdom of the potential damage of vocals chords, did he ever perform like that ALL the time, or is it just a freak occurrence when he decides to go all out?

He's also a shy dude and sometimes won't even show his face during the concert. I saw him in APC and he stayed in the darkness. I think it might have something to do with him not wanting to be the center of attention, and leave that for the rest of the band. Because we all know if he went 100% we would all be in complete awe of huim, 50X more than we already are!

So for those who have seen Tool before this tour, lemme know what you think.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #61
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setve
the friend i was with flipped out, because before one of the songs (lateralus?), adam did a slide with his pick. all night he had been wishing they would play prison sex, i knew they wouldn't, but adam had us both going.
Dude, as soon as I heard that, I was ecstatic. Never heard Prison Sex live. I think they were doing that all night long - disguising the beginnings of songs. Of course being in the 2nd to last row of the infernal balcony, I couldn't hear anything he said before songs.

Still, only 2 complaints: The vocals have been too low at every show (you'd think the crew would check out the posts), and it was one song too short. 4 years and we didn't even get 2 hours. I was waitin' for Prison Sex (that's not what I mint).

Otherwise, KILLER show! Even the Gestapo couldn't dampen the energy. I had a great top-down view of Danny and he seemed much more effortless than I remember, He hasn't lost a step, but her just did it with fuckin' ease. Outstanding.
The highlight for me was probably Lateralus - the energy got so high that at the end of the song, the band fell down :)

Great crowd, too. Fans lookin out for other fans when 5-0 walks by. Some good screamers in the very last row! TOO fuckin' hot! I only sat down for a minute during Lost Keys - just to check back in with reality.

fuckin' A

Last edited by AquaTarkus; 05-22-2006 at 07:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

I wasn't going to write a review cause you've heard it all, its just for me to have a better memory of it in a few years. Pardon the length, I'm no good at "the whole brevity thing."

Champagne was in order as it was a special occasion to say the least. Tuesday is usually a special enough occasion for champagne for me, but this certainly tops any other day! (well, that and the new album day). What a special day it was…We enjoyed dinner and drinks at Legal so much I almost forgot why we were in town…FYI- everyone must take out a loan and get the wild salmon there….OOOH! And we got our obligatory Litter-ature as expected from our ever faithful Jesus “vendor”.
I don’t know what I did right to be able to get tix, but I even took up praying again before the curtain came up to give a “big-up to whom it may concern”. Or were we just so happy to hear Meshuggah before the show to amp us up? Couldn’t have asked for better pre-show music, just wish they had been there too! Wait, Peaches would have been fine also…heheh…you love it.

From the moment we sat down and realized what was about to happen to even now, it still seems so surreal. About a month ago I didn’t think I’d be here til November or something if that. What a nice treat to see them so close. It was also a little bizarre, as I personally am accustomed to accepting that I can’t see them too well and find it easier to enjoy the music and visuals. I kept reminding myself to open my eyes since I could actually watch them play this time. Wish I could have had a view of Justin though…

I read past reviews, various feelings on setlist, sound and visuals. As soon as they came on it all made sense some how, this may have been the last US show for a few, but it was still only a warm up and hopefully ‘teaser tour’ if you will. I’d like to think everyone has more faith in these guys than to assume they won’t keep pushing live boundaries with each tour, but I understand the nervousness. Just like every time they release an album people are worried it’s their last, for no particular reason. We just depend so much on this experience that only a live Tool show gives.

Although I do agree with M-nuts vox being muffled, maybe it was intentional given the circumstances mentioned. Also maybe he is less animated in part due to being so close to people this time. ie. nowhere to hide. I have no problem barely seeing him, gyrating or not, if it means he can give the best vocal performance. Although I did like some of the lassoing moves. Did anyone else think of the Wynona had a big brown beaver video? Ride the spiral indeed.

There were times when I was straining to hear him, especially over everyone joyously (yes, I meant joyously) singing along. Once the sound got better after RI2 the crowd wasn’t an issue. I absolutely loved seeing everyone’s arms instinctively go up to the sky on “prayin for rain”, myself included. I felt the love man. And Jeff’s right, that’s the ultimate point to that one, and in a room full of die-hards it didn’t go unnoticed.

I couldn’t have asked for a better setlist. I was just beggin for RI2 but to get the Pot with it, shit, I musta don’t something right. Chills man, chills all over. I haven’t rocked that hard in so long!!!! “And man are my lumbars tired.” Rosetta stoned is so great, so glad in ___ years from now I’ll be “The” old lady saying I saw it when. Lateralus had to have sounded the best; I’ve never heard that place so loud! As it should have been. It was funny while having a sit down break and at our loudest they were holding their hands to their ears like “What? That’s all you got? I can’t hear you!” I believe that’s why they decided to do the pot, honestly. You get what you put in sometimes.
So it was a worthy number 11 for sure. But there’s never enough…. We’re so lucky! Hi to Scott and co., I hope you loved it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztoolzz
Best show & crowd I've ever experienced in the Boston area! Thank you Tool and everyone else!!!
this one guy in my section (balcony right) started like 19 slow claps.. and tried to get the wave going.. it was so funny
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was absolutely amazing! This by far was the best set list of the whole tour.

I was lucky enough to have 5th row dead center tickets. I was the guy who was jamming with the cast on:) Sound was great. Only complaint was the low volume of the lyrics. I couldn't hear a thing Maynard was saying in between songs.

I was psyched they played The Pot, I wanted to see that song played live so bad. Adam and Justin played great and Maynard was spot on. Danny is the best drummer I have ever heard my entire life. (and I've played drums for 16 yrs)

I cannot wait for the next time they come around. I will never get the same seats I had for this show again so I know this experience will last me for the rest of my life:)

Last edited by blecoupe89; 05-23-2006 at 11:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 AM   #65
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

What an experience. My first Tool concert, longtime fan. Took a seat in the sixth row, center aisle, and soaked up the atmosphere and anticipation and meditated to Meshuggah. When Tool took the stage, everything but the music and the vibe just melted away. All of them are all masters of their respective vibrational tools and it was an incredible opportunity to experience and unconditionally accept what they were sharing and offering in the moment, in that intimate venue. It was amazing. My feet still aren’t touching the ground.

As we were walking to the theater before the show, a rainbow appeared in the sky. At the end of the show, when the crowd was going crazy, I had the opportunity to walk up the aisle and hold up a thank you sign, front and center, with no probs from security. Walking back to the car, a meteor shot across the sky. Finally, my lucky day.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschaffer
Would loved to have a camera – get the “May 21: Tool” billboard with a rainbow above it.
I actually thought the same thing. If someone got a photo of the outside of the Orphium I would very much appreciate a copy. shoot me a pm.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #67
Level 2 - Poster

Asking anyone who waited in line for the concert, it was the most surreal thing. As if the band had something to do with it. One thing I don't know if anyone caught, but the neon sign for the orpheum theater had a faulty light. That light produced the most incredibly coincidental sound. On Aenima, the track after the title song aenima,[*] ions. LA has allready plunged into the ocean and there is this very distinct jacobs ladder sound that repeats itself throughout the track. That very sound was coming from this neon sign. Too surreal. Anyone else catch that? Then when the concert was over, not a drop of water on the ground.

As for the concert itself, there aren't enough words, but yet I am speechless. It was much more personnal than previous shows I've seen. Danny was masterful, but it was nice to see he was still human after dropping a stick in Schism. Justin, I must say, made the concert for me during Aenima. The emotion he put into his playing was incredible. I think we can all say the excitement of hearing Adam's first guitar riff in The Pot was overwhelming. And what more can I say about Maynard, especially in Rosetta Stoned, holy shit.

I love how they changed the breakdown in Schism and Stinfist. Danny's solo in 46 & 2 was again amazing to watch. When he plays it seems so effortless.

Did anyone catch the contrast of Maynards cowboy hat and his mohawk...... Cowboy's and Indians?????
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 07:55 AM   #68
Level 2 - Poster

Asking anyone who waited in line for the concert, it was the most surreal thing. As if the band had something to do with it. One thing I don't know if anyone caught, but the neon sign for the orpheum theater had a faulty light. That light produced the most incredibly coincidental sound. On Aenima, the track after the title song aenima,[*] ions. LA has allready plunged into the ocean and there is this very distinct jacobs ladder sound that repeats itself throughout the track. That very sound was coming from this neon sign. Too surreal. Anyone else catch that? Then when the concert was over, not a drop of water on the ground.

As for the concert itself, there aren't enough words, but yet I am speechless. It was much more personnal than previous shows I've seen. Danny was masterful, but it was nice to see he was still human after dropping a stick in Schism. Justin, I must say, made the concert for me during Aenima. The emotion he put into his playing was incredible. I think we can all say the excitement of hearing Adam's first guitar riff in The Pot was overwhelming. And what more can I say about Maynard, especially in Rosetta Stoned, holy shit.

I love how they changed the breakdown in Schism and Stinfist. Danny's solo in 46 & 2 was again amazing to watch. When he plays it seems so effortless.

Did anyone catch the contrast of Maynards cowboy hat and his mohawk...... Cowboy's and Indians?????
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #69
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectioneternal77
they are correct, he did the same thing at coachella to see who knew the words because that was the first live performance, he knew anybody singing had obviously downloaded the album before the release
actually, he paused to allow justin to sync up for the second line, a problem tthey have had in the past with the song. there were no missed lines and maynard doesnt care if we know the words.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 11:39 AM   #70
Level 7 - Loquacious

Boston Globe Review:
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2006/05/23/tool_gets_and_gives_a_hand/

Couple of other things about the long wait in line. Danny refused to sign a setlist because the guy didn't have a purple pen. Also, Adam came in with some new luggage which was probably why he was at Macys.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

My first tool show ever..and I had to take two days to cope with what I just saw.

Was an amazing day with the bro.

Ok, we take off around 12 afternoon..make our way to the T but pass exit 13 cause were out of it. So we end up going to the T like an hour and a half away to find out that the T there was closed! I WAS MAD! Ok, we so try to goto another T.. we find one in Walpole, but it was just an empty parking lot w/ no where to board the damn T? WTF? So we goto another T, it's running, but we check the schedule and the last one leaves around 11 so we didn't want to chance it. And we head off to boston cause were pretty close by now. Took us 3 1/2 hours to get to fuckin boston, jesus right? Ok so we park in the china garage and my brother ends up locking the damn keys in the car. We call triple A, sit on the roof of the car and lite of a jibba. Was pretty nice. All this time talking to Kurt(someone I met at the Tool show). We get the keys out, and head to the Orpheum. It is still like a good 2 1/2 hours before the show so we go into the commons n smoke another jibba. Sketchy as hell let me tell you. We meet up with Kurt and his friend and go back into the commons and almost get busted by the cops cause I see some bum ass guy on his phone looking at us and that signals me to get the hell out, so we just move spots. And let me tell you me and my brother look up in the sky and we see this one big ass dark cloud and were like uh oh lets get the fuck out of here as the cop was coming so we booked it to the Orpheum. THe fucking gods opened the sky on us, hailing, lightning, rain you named it. I was drenched. Finally got into the show, bought me and my brother a shirt and a poster for myself --- Let me tell you that poster is fucking sweet (anyone know any place to get it laminated cheap around western mass??) it was gonna cost me $94 to get it laminated at some paper company, mad expensive. Well long story short the show was fucking amazing, i was so pumped and just jammin out to every damn song. I loved it..OH AND SORRY TO THE GIRL I HIT IN THE HEAD IN FRONT OF ME WHILE TAKING MY SHIRT OFF..IT WAS HOT!

timbob

i was the little white kid walking around with the long sleeve billabong shirt on w/ the tool shirt over it and a hemp necklace. i probably looked fucked up, but im mad hot so the girls wanted me. thankyou
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #72
Level 3 - Talker

This show was amazing, my first Tool show and definitly not the last. They played all the songs i wanted to hear, and people should stop complaining. This was only was warmup tour. This was the greatest night of my life. The only thing that ruined was the guy directly behind me yelling for prison sex. Amazing Show
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #73
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioniccommandos
So before getting into Boston, I bought a pair of $20 sneakers, but I was wearing sandals to the concert. Once in Boston, I decided to change into my sneakers, it was about 2 hours before the show, but I needed a pair of socks. I went into Macy's with my friend, found a pair of socks for $7 and while I was waiting in line, I turned around and who was coming up the escalator, but...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...jonesandme.jpg
;)
Well very interesting indeed but cut the suspense and finally tell us how the socks held out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbpronovos
...snip... The only thing that ruined was the guy directly behind me yelling for prison sex.
that would sound so awkward to anyone unfamiliar with tool :D

anyway... my first post here.
i'll be getting devirginized next week sunday at pinkpop in holland since i'll be seeing and hearing TOOL finally for the first time in this particular space-time continuum and after reading almost every single post here in the forums about this tour i can only say i sincerely hope i won't be let down cuz the general verdict here seems to be that this is going to be the most amazing show ever so i'm really so hyped about all this i think.. i think my heads gonna explode or something as soon as the first note strikes down on my eardrums..
damn.. this band is so out of this world... i think i'm going nuts...
does the ticket include mental help for those who can't handle the show being over?

Last edited by xirdneh; 05-23-2006 at 05:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 7

This was my first Tool concert, NOT THE LAST EITHER. We drove down 95 in pouring rain until route 1. We hit traffic right away. We were in traffic for like 45 mins to an hour. There was an accident so once we passed it it was smooth sailing right into Boston. Once we got to Boston the rain stopped and the sun came out. Traffic in Boston wasn't that bad either.

So we got to the parking below the Commons at 6pm. Chilled "getting ready" for the concert. Around 7:15 it was off to the Orpheum. We walk out of the garage into a thunder storm toward the theater. I was surprised to see people were lined up in the alley, then wrapped around the corner. The line moved fast, but not enough for the rain. I got soaked. As we were approaching the door the sun came out again, it was soo cool.

So we get in and it was PACKED, we head to the poster and T-shirts and bought 1 of each. Piss break, then off to our seats. Waited til 8:30, then the show started.

Stinkfist was great, It didn't sound bad at all. Maynard was kicking his foot in the air to the beat in the beginning which I thought was strange, but unique.

Maynard looked as he did at the other concerts, shirtless, Jeans with belt buckle, a cowboy hat and a Mohawk!

The set list was different than most of the other shows which I thought was cool. I think Stinkfist worked better as a starter.

Now I was hoping for Patient and The Pot, I know Maynard was probably over his cold that he had. But when they played Right in Two. I started to think oh well, This kicks ass anyway!

Maynard noted, by asking if we knew what the internet was and if we had it then we knew, that he'd been under the weather and had been unable to perform certain vocally punishing songs, Keenan said he was going to give it a try. ``If I fail," he warned, "it's because you have failed me. Blame yourself. I'll sleep tonight."

I KNEW IT WAS THE POT RIGHT AWAY, and sure enough, it was. It was one of the best moments of the concert!

Later toward the end Maynard mentioned the floods last week, "Floods, all these floods, hey, We warned you." Then went into Ænema!!!!!! This was the best moment of the concert!! Too bad it was the end too.

Danny, in my opinion did the best job, with Maynard on the bottom. It was great, just Maynard doesn't get into it as much as he should, but he's not that type of person, after all he was standin behind everyone in the shadow with lights on everyone but him. And he was the first to walk off stage while everyone else chilled for a min. He is still my favorite artist. (just not live)

It was a zoo leaving, but once we got driving it was smooth sailing to a friends house where we chilled the rest of the night.

I wish I could relive the night again, It was the best night of my life. I so needed that! (not the hangover though, lol)

http://www.myspace.com/caprarella

Last edited by Midas6918; 05-23-2006 at 05:25 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool is an amazing band. I love everything they've done. The show was spot on and they're all very professional. However, from where i sat the acoustics ruined the show. Lyrics totally unintelligible, too bass heavy, the songs were nearly unrecognizable. The only bright spot was Danny. Don't ever see a show at the Orpheum, it totally was not worth the price of Admission.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-24-2006, 05:58 AM   #76

Bincount™: 1

Third tool show. Amazing to be in such a small venue... happy to finally hear Aenema, and 46&2. Paid $275 for row y seats... and wished I had paid the $700 for ee seats. mmm.

Last year, fortunately I got to be right against the barricade. It was one of the best nights of my life, seconded only to taking MDMA for the first time. Only paid $40 for that ticket, but reviewing everything in hindsight - I probably would have laid out $1000 to see that again...

Hopefully next tour, I can see them more than once. I know the videos, performance, and setlist will be even better which is hard to even think of right now. I enjoyed Rosetta Stoned for the first time, but Lost Keys blew me away into a trance. I fucking loved it.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #77
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfisechka
Security sucked ass. Outside the staff were complete assholes, before and after the show
I'm usually the last one to stand up for anyone in authority, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Maybe you just got the bad apple in the bunch.

My pockets were totally full of crap, I should have thought of it earlier, but they guy who patted me down asked me to empty my pockets (which I expected as soon as I thought of it; I *did* have enough stuff in there to be hiding a small gun (which I wasn't)).

I pulled out the contents of my pocket and said what they were as I did so -- "keys", "change", "lighter", "map", "wallet", ... and then the last one, a small wooden box containing a one-hitter and my MJ... "cigarette box". I tried to keep a straight, disinterasted face. I am sure I looked guilty as hell :P

The guy said nothing, he knew EXACTLY what it was.
He simply nodded me on: "No weapons. You're fine."

He could easily have chosen to be a dick -- my keys have an army knife on 'em. He wasn't. He was looking for real weapons, found none, was professional about it, and even cut me some slack.

So, this post is my way of saying "thanks" and cutting him some slack, though I'm sure he'll never see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfisechka
I felt, however, that Maynard in particular was lacking in passion and effort.
There I have to agree with you. I wish I didn't, and I know it's "heresy", but I had the same impression. If it was the start of the tour, I'd assume he was saving himself up. But for the last show in the country, I expect him to pull all the stops.

And hey folks -- don't put anyone down for fair criticism. Every person there paid crazy money and most of us got drenched in rain to see this performance. Every single person in that hall was a true, hard-core fan. Period.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #78
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirdneh
Well very interesting indeed but cut the suspense and finally tell us how the socks held out!

that would sound so awkward to anyone unfamiliar with tool :D

I know what ya mean!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #79
Level 7 - Loquacious

Boston Phoenix review:

http://www.thephoenix.com/article_ektid13198.aspx
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #80
Level 2 - Poster

"Couple of other things about the long wait in line. Danny refused to sign a setlist because the guy didn't have a purple pen. Also, Adam came in with some new luggage which was probably why he was at Macys."[/QUOTE]

I also met Danny, outside the verizon wireless center in manchester, NH, during the Lateralus tour and the same thing happened to me. I asked for an autograph and he said "yeah, if you have a purple pen." I thought he was joking so i handed him my ticket and a blue pen, he started signing and stopped, handed it back to me and said "its not purple, sorry." So I asked for a pictured with him and he said "Sorry, no pictures guys, thanks for coming out to the show though." We were pretty dissapointed, but snapped a few pics of him descretly while walking away.

Last edited by StinkFister; 05-25-2006 at 07:42 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: