Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
mattyjax
05-26-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri_ds
I don't understand why people are so fond of Reflection...it's an OK song for me. I find the drum pattern....so.....repetitive ! sorry.
relfection is a masterpiece- friggin goosebumps
Old 05-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #121
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: TOOL's Masterpiece????

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri_ds
I don't understand why people are so fond of Reflection...it's an OK song for me. I find the drum pattern....so.....repetitive ! sorry.
relfection is a masterpiece- friggin goosebumps
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
bloodydecember's Avatar bloodydecember
05-26-2006, 05:57 PM

I agree with the drums being repetetive, I am a drummer myself. I like the song for the lyrics and the message. If you just close your eyes and listen to it it feels like you're on a journey.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #122
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I agree with the drums being repetetive, I am a drummer myself. I like the song for the lyrics and the message. If you just close your eyes and listen to it it feels like you're on a journey.
05-26-2006, 06:14 PM

this could maybe be the 3rd single if accompanied by a really deep & emotional video
Old 05-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #123
Banned.

Bincount™: 212

this could maybe be the 3rd single if accompanied by a really deep & emotional video
bloodydecember's Avatar bloodydecember
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM

I dont know. It's not toolish enough for a single, i think. Dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing the song in any way; I love it. I'm just saying that I doubt it would be released as a single.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #124
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I dont know. It's not toolish enough for a single, i think. Dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing the song in any way; I love it. I'm just saying that I doubt it would be released as a single.
05-27-2006, 10:12 AM

I can't agree more. I loved this song the first time I heard it. Must be one of the most epic songs I've heard in my life, and it proves that the whole "epic" feeling has nothin to do with swords, dragons, fuckin Manowar and various other Conan wannabes.
But I would also say that "Third Eye" stands in the same throne with this one, and "Eulogy" with "Lateralus" follow behind.

As for the whole album, I think that it's really better than the "Laterallus" record, but "Aenima" still stays their magnum opus. Dunno, it's the feelings. After I heard "10,000 Days", "Lateralus" as an entity seemed to "little". But NOTHIN is more euphoric than listenin to Maynard sayin "We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr" or screamin bout the openin of the thrid eye.

"10,000 Days" just helped music as an art form evovle one step further. Ha. In like, 10 years or more, Tool will be up there with Led Zeppelin and all these glorious dudes. Or maybe, it's wrong to think that way: Cause Tool is somethin different! And it belogns in a different and unique plane of expression, where nobody else can enter.

-McCoy follower since forever.
"Pray for Leviathan, pray for me"
Old 05-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #125
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I can't agree more. I loved this song the first time I heard it. Must be one of the most epic songs I've heard in my life, and it proves that the whole "epic" feeling has nothin to do with swords, dragons, fuckin Manowar and various other Conan wannabes.
But I would also say that "Third Eye" stands in the same throne with this one, and "Eulogy" with "Lateralus" follow behind.

As for the whole album, I think that it's really better than the "Laterallus" record, but "Aenima" still stays their magnum opus. Dunno, it's the feelings. After I heard "10,000 Days", "Lateralus" as an entity seemed to "little". But NOTHIN is more euphoric than listenin to Maynard sayin "We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr" or screamin bout the openin of the thrid eye.

"10,000 Days" just helped music as an art form evovle one step further. Ha. In like, 10 years or more, Tool will be up there with Led Zeppelin and all these glorious dudes. Or maybe, it's wrong to think that way: Cause Tool is somethin different! And it belogns in a different and unique plane of expression, where nobody else can enter.

Nikola Petrovic's Avatar Nikola Petrovic
05-27-2006, 10:18 AM

Manowar is epic? Swords and dragons? wtf?
Thats the furthest you can come from epic.. stop playing world of warcraft

Anyway, yeah. There is no song with more atmosphere and feeling than reflection. It instantly sucks you in and become a part of the song. It has always been my favourite
Old 05-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #126
Banned.

Bincount™: 5505

Anyway, yeah. There is no song with more atmosphere and feeling than reflection. It instantly sucks you in and become a part of the song. It has always been my favourite
JudasChrist
05-27-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Petrovic
Well, that's exactly what I said, fellow. That stuff like Manowar is not epic.
Dunno, are my english that bad? Cause they're not my native language.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #127
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Petrovic
Well, that's exactly what I said, fellow. That stuff like Manowar is not epic.
Dunno, are my english that bad? Cause they're not my native language.

win's Avatar win
05-27-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednyne
i am in the same boat... it was third eye, then it was reflection, and now it's wings pt.2... the message is just as beautiful as the music.
perfect explanation of it the progression
Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #128
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednyne
i am in the same boat... it was third eye, then it was reflection, and now it's wings pt.2... the message is just as beautiful as the music.
perfect explanation of it the progression
dmoney11
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM

I tjink it's the best thing tool has ever done. Period.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #129
Level 2 - Poster

I tjink it's the best thing tool has ever done. Period.
ćmoeba•°·.'s Avatar ćmoeba•°·.
05-31-2006, 09:51 PM

all of Tool's songs are masterpieces, Third - Eye, masterpiece, Reflection, Masterpiece...i could go with every song because all of their songs are seperate or together in such an intricate way....
Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #130
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

all of Tool's songs are masterpieces, Third - Eye, masterpiece, Reflection, Masterpiece...i could go with every song because all of their songs are seperate or together in such an intricate way....
STORMCROW1031's Avatar STORMCROW1031
06-01-2006, 07:57 AM

THIS IS DEFINITELY A MASTERPIECE!!
As far as for what I'm guessing you're terming "X-files" - sorry, but that is a beautiful piece of work - how it circles around and kinda seems desperate to get somewhere but can't.
This song gives me full body chills.
Yep, up til now Reflection was my favorite - but this one....oooooooooooooooooooo.
And for you technical peoples who can't listen to music anymore - music is more about emotion than anything and this piece goes beyond stirring, it makes me sit up straight and speed on the Parkway.
I'm a big fan of Classical music, Stravinsky was my favorite until I discovered Tool.... Stravinksy I have no doubt, would be inclined to agree...
MASTERPIECE! YES! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!! I DON'T CARE IF IT TAKES THEM 10 YEARS!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #131
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

THIS IS DEFINITELY A MASTERPIECE!!
As far as for what I'm guessing you're terming "X-files" - sorry, but that is a beautiful piece of work - how it circles around and kinda seems desperate to get somewhere but can't.
This song gives me full body chills.
Yep, up til now Reflection was my favorite - but this one....oooooooooooooooooooo.
And for you technical peoples who can't listen to music anymore - music is more about emotion than anything and this piece goes beyond stirring, it makes me sit up straight and speed on the Parkway.
I'm a big fan of Classical music, Stravinsky was my favorite until I discovered Tool.... Stravinksy I have no doubt, would be inclined to agree...
MASTERPIECE! YES! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!! I DON'T CARE IF IT TAKES THEM 10 YEARS!
06-01-2006, 10:38 AM

"masterpiece"? maybe...... soundchecked in belguim...most definitley...they are gonna play it very soon if they are sounndchecking it....i want to be there when it happens
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #132
Level 4 - Thinker

"masterpiece"? maybe...... soundchecked in belguim...most definitley...they are gonna play it very soon if they are sounndchecking it....i want to be there when it happens
tooltomus's Avatar tooltomus
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM

It wasn't until I really sat and listened to the song while reading the lyrics that I realized what a great f-n song this is. Maybe not "the" masterpiece, but near the top three.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #133
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

It wasn't until I really sat and listened to the song while reading the lyrics that I realized what a great f-n song this is. Maybe not "the" masterpiece, but near the top three.
Krys Nyteshade
06-04-2006, 04:10 PM

I'm a relatively new fan, but this was the first song by them that gave me goosebumps and made me go "Wow, this is amazing...". My faveourite song on the album, for sure, and probably my faveourite by them. It really sold me on Tool, from being "Yeah, they're really good." to "TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!". Pardon the exclamation.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #134
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm a relatively new fan, but this was the first song by them that gave me goosebumps and made me go "Wow, this is amazing...". My faveourite song on the album, for sure, and probably my faveourite by them. It really sold me on Tool, from being "Yeah, they're really good." to "TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!". Pardon the exclamation.
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM

i think sober was the first track by Tool I ever listened to. It got played on the radio and it was one of the those things where you have to go out and get the cd just to get the song out of your head. Sober isnt my favorite by any means but it does hold a spot in my heart for popping my tool cherry. Now 3 albums later we have 10k Days. It's amazing that these guys are pushing their middle ages and they can still hook in fans with only a couple listens.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #135
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i think sober was the first track by Tool I ever listened to. It got played on the radio and it was one of the those things where you have to go out and get the cd just to get the song out of your head. Sober isnt my favorite by any means but it does hold a spot in my heart for popping my tool cherry. Now 3 albums later we have 10k Days. It's amazing that these guys are pushing their middle ages and they can still hook in fans with only a couple listens.
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM

i wish i had a burito. also, hot sauce. is that included? wait, where am i? HELLO? where's my cell phone?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #136
Level 4 - Thinker

i wish i had a burito. also, hot sauce. is that included? wait, where am i? HELLO? where's my cell phone?
shyfly
06-22-2006, 01:29 AM

i like this song
Old 06-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #137
Level 3 - Talker

i like this song
DumbestToolFan
06-22-2006, 05:17 PM

I think one of the best things in the song is the thunder.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #138
Level 1 - Lurker

I think one of the best things in the song is the thunder.
dook43
06-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
A very intelligent man once said "Do what thou willst shall be the whole of The Law." Your will has more power than anything money can buy.
Satan?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #139
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
A very intelligent man once said "Do what thou willst shall be the whole of The Law." Your will has more power than anything money can buy.
Satan?
zed91
06-29-2006, 04:09 AM

To me it is their masterpiece. The emotions that come from this song are so powerfull, really impressive
Old 06-29-2006, 04:09 AM   #140
Level 1 - Lurker

To me it is their masterpiece. The emotions that come from this song are so powerfull, really impressive
Snakedragon
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Justin's basslines in this song are fucking phenominal.

He himself has admitted it was extremely difficult to record correctly.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #141
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

SpiraMirabilis's Avatar SpiraMirabilis
07-12-2006, 01:50 PM

The reason 10,000 days is a masterpiece is to start with a very simple idea, the three dissending notes of the a-minor triad, and expand on it thoughout the song. While doing this, Tool is able to create thousands of different emotions and relese them near the end with a fantasticly well timed climax. I´m sorry I hav´nt explained this very well, but there is somthing in this song which I am unable to put into words.

Its just breath taking and amazing!

The same applies to Reflection... they are both masterpieces.

I´ll try to look into it in depth another time, because there are some secrets I would love to be able to use myself.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #142
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

The reason 10,000 days is a masterpiece is to start with a very simple idea, the three dissending notes of the a-minor triad, and expand on it thoughout the song. While doing this, Tool is able to create thousands of different emotions and relese them near the end with a fantasticly well timed climax. I´m sorry I hav´nt explained this very well, but there is somthing in this song which I am unable to put into words.

Its just breath taking and amazing!

The same applies to Reflection... they are both masterpieces.

I´ll try to look into it in depth another time, because there are some secrets I would love to be able to use myself.
walkerw8
07-12-2006, 05:42 PM

And that's the great thing about great music, you don't have to know anything about descending notes of an A-minor-triad, or any other triad for that matter, to appreciate it for it's greatness.

[quote]i think that this song might be the masterpiece (if you include both parts). but a think that the album Lateralus is their piece de resistance.[quote]

For me the piece de resistance would be Ćnima. After all these years it's still my favorite, and 46&2 is still my favorite song. Saying I have a favorite Tool song, though is like 46&2 is 1a and most of all the rest are 1b. In their entire catalogue their might be only one song that doesn't really do anything for me (Bottom) it never has. I'd probably rank 10,000 days, the album slightly behind Ćnima and slightly ahead of Lateralus.

This song though, is really amazing in sooo many ways (I'll go ahead and call it a, but not the, masterpiece), and as for Maynard holding black, I find no fault in that. He's into his early 40s by now and for some reason, if he is indeed intentionally holding back (which I can't say I'm sure he is) it might have something to do with the fact that it's a eulogy to his mother, as strange as that may sound.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #143
Level 4 - Thinker

And that's the great thing about great music, you don't have to know anything about descending notes of an A-minor-triad, or any other triad for that matter, to appreciate it for it's greatness.

[quote]i think that this song might be the masterpiece (if you include both parts). but a think that the album Lateralus is their piece de resistance.[quote]

For me the piece de resistance would be Ćnima. After all these years it's still my favorite, and 46&2 is still my favorite song. Saying I have a favorite Tool song, though is like 46&2 is 1a and most of all the rest are 1b. In their entire catalogue their might be only one song that doesn't really do anything for me (Bottom) it never has. I'd probably rank 10,000 days, the album slightly behind Ćnima and slightly ahead of Lateralus.

This song though, is really amazing in sooo many ways (I'll go ahead and call it a, but not the, masterpiece), and as for Maynard holding black, I find no fault in that. He's into his early 40s by now and for some reason, if he is indeed intentionally holding back (which I can't say I'm sure he is) it might have something to do with the fact that it's a eulogy to his mother, as strange as that may sound.
07-12-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedragon

Yeah man, they are really really kick ass. Have you tried to play them? Impossible, it will take a long time to master no doubt.

This song is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. It makes me feel different to anything else I have ever heard. If they play it live and I manage to be there, even if only once, I don't think I will be the same person afterwards.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #144
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedragon

Yeah man, they are really really kick ass. Have you tried to play them? Impossible, it will take a long time to master no doubt.

This song is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. It makes me feel different to anything else I have ever heard. If they play it live and I manage to be there, even if only once, I don't think I will be the same person afterwards.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply