Bincount™: 2635
Re: TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

Haha, funny guy.........
03-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
*sigh*

I knew that...... I was just joking at the "Alice 'n Chains" part
He actually did get me, I was just tryin' to be nice =) Can't believe he took any seriousness to the Limp Bizkit joke.

Though I must say in my defense, there are 2 or 3 of their songs that if they were Progg'd/Tool'd out, MIGHT have potential. Some older Soundgarden songs would be loads better though (no joke) =)

On the "Daedelus piece" issue, you guys could be right. I have always questioned myself on that one, but what makes me think it's RS is the order of the posting Blair was doing. I can't remember exacts, but some details coencided with "daedelus piece" and RS details. It seems they started talking about Wings/10kd a bit later, then Adam did that pre-release interview in Guiitar World where he was talking about the song that "makes him cry every time they play it" - I knew what it was about right then and there.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #123
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
*sigh*

I knew that...... I was just joking at the "Alice 'n Chains" part
He actually did get me, I was just tryin' to be nice =) Can't believe he took any seriousness to the Limp Bizkit joke.

Though I must say in my defense, there are 2 or 3 of their songs that if they were Progg'd/Tool'd out, MIGHT have potential. Some older Soundgarden songs would be loads better though (no joke) =)

On the "Daedelus piece" issue, you guys could be right. I have always questioned myself on that one, but what makes me think it's RS is the order of the posting Blair was doing. I can't remember exacts, but some details coencided with "daedelus piece" and RS details. It seems they started talking about Wings/10kd a bit later, then Adam did that pre-release interview in Guiitar World where he was talking about the song that "makes him cry every time they play it" - I knew what it was about right then and there.
03-06-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domer88 View Post
Ahhh man , on a sleepless night I find a lot of fun in this forum :) Just seeing the original post from McRoggles I started thinking "oh no, this is going to stir up some hyperactive trashing" and sorta seems that way. As I do not aggree with McRoggles Its interesting to see that someone does not like 3rd eye that much (I can agree with hooker with a penis though, my least fav. song on the entire album by far). Third eye does not really seem to so much "fit" on the album to me as a whole but man I love the song, the best stuff is on the live version after the 3 min mark! That solo adam has around 5:30 is awesome (considering there are not many guitar solos at all with tool, but yeah, could just be a bunch of noise to some).. I also think the whole 2nd half is one of the best buildups and comedowns on any tool song (came out to watch you play etc etc.. y'all know the drill) ..
, at the same time I really enjoy most prog type drawn out songs that hit the overly long mark from most the bands I listen to

hmmm Maybe I also tend to like this song because I used to thrown down on my floor and rapture my ex-girlfriends collective lustfulness (It must have been collective from somehwere, how can one women be that horny??) all over the place during that song quite a few times (she did not even like tool that much but man she liked to fuck to that song, and god damn was she hot, crazy as some posters (not you McRoggles, I like your posts) on here but the beauty overloaded any rational thought at that age)..

But to each there own! Its good to see something that I would not expect on here as last fav. tool song! You know, 3rd Eye also probably raised Bill Hicks fan base by like 50 percent and gave allot of tool fans an excuse to take acid all the time and assume tool does constantly... RIP Bill, I love that guy..

anyway
some of you assholes need to chill if someone happens to not care for a tool song, to each their own, fuckin chill, I mean, maybe Bill Hicks voice also drives the man crazy , that southern boy swang and insightfully ideas hiding beneath ravaging rants ain't for all of us (oh yeah, the dick jokes also)

Speaking of bill hicks, I was watching some clips on youtube today of him, and this one was pretty classic, he really drills on this women in the audience to the point where I am pretty sure she has to leave, I Think it would be awesome if Maynerd did this from time to time in the middle of a song when meatheads start moshing and hurting people with ninja hardcore kicks to songs like wings and disposition and pretty much any song, I hate that shit..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdKpR9qNtg

oh man, this is great, I love assholes that are respectable.
Sounds like your girlfriend thought "third Eye" meant something else.

I agree with you that the solo is fuckin' amazing.

And yeah that is a good point you made about Bill Hicks - it belongs there for at least that reason:

"rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre eeally fuckin high on drugs" (forgive the quoting)
Old 03-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #124
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by domer88 View Post
Ahhh man , on a sleepless night I find a lot of fun in this forum :) Just seeing the original post from McRoggles I started thinking "oh no, this is going to stir up some hyperactive trashing" and sorta seems that way. As I do not aggree with McRoggles Its interesting to see that someone does not like 3rd eye that much (I can agree with hooker with a penis though, my least fav. song on the entire album by far). Third eye does not really seem to so much "fit" on the album to me as a whole but man I love the song, the best stuff is on the live version after the 3 min mark! That solo adam has around 5:30 is awesome (considering there are not many guitar solos at all with tool, but yeah, could just be a bunch of noise to some).. I also think the whole 2nd half is one of the best buildups and comedowns on any tool song (came out to watch you play etc etc.. y'all know the drill) ..
, at the same time I really enjoy most prog type drawn out songs that hit the overly long mark from most the bands I listen to

hmmm Maybe I also tend to like this song because I used to thrown down on my floor and rapture my ex-girlfriends collective lustfulness (It must have been collective from somehwere, how can one women be that horny??) all over the place during that song quite a few times (she did not even like tool that much but man she liked to fuck to that song, and god damn was she hot, crazy as some posters (not you McRoggles, I like your posts) on here but the beauty overloaded any rational thought at that age)..

But to each there own! Its good to see something that I would not expect on here as last fav. tool song! You know, 3rd Eye also probably raised Bill Hicks fan base by like 50 percent and gave allot of tool fans an excuse to take acid all the time and assume tool does constantly... RIP Bill, I love that guy..

anyway
some of you assholes need to chill if someone happens to not care for a tool song, to each their own, fuckin chill, I mean, maybe Bill Hicks voice also drives the man crazy , that southern boy swang and insightfully ideas hiding beneath ravaging rants ain't for all of us (oh yeah, the dick jokes also)

Speaking of bill hicks, I was watching some clips on youtube today of him, and this one was pretty classic, he really drills on this women in the audience to the point where I am pretty sure she has to leave, I Think it would be awesome if Maynerd did this from time to time in the middle of a song when meatheads start moshing and hurting people with ninja hardcore kicks to songs like wings and disposition and pretty much any song, I hate that shit..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdKpR9qNtg

oh man, this is great, I love assholes that are respectable.
Sounds like your girlfriend thought "third Eye" meant something else.

I agree with you that the solo is fuckin' amazing.

And yeah that is a good point you made about Bill Hicks - it belongs there for at least that reason:

"rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre eeally fuckin high on drugs" (forgive the quoting)
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post

I didn't take you seriously on the Limp Bizkit. I can't say I enjoy them too much. However, I would RATHER hear Alice 'N Chains covers...........but nobody sounds like Layne, so it should be left well enough alone.

Wherever you go........there you are.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #125
caveman

Bincount™: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post

I didn't take you seriously on the Limp Bizkit. I can't say I enjoy them too much. However, I would RATHER hear Alice 'N Chains covers...........but nobody sounds like Layne, so it should be left well enough alone.

Wherever you go........there you are.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketh74 View Post
Completely agree, however I've gotta say Maynard's two covers are the best I've ever heard.

Looks like the rumor may be true - just thought I'd add this to the thread since it is pertinent information just being redundantly posted everywhere else. In fact, probably the most important piece of news relating to the band to come out of one of Blair's newsletters in a couple of years.

from the newsletter:

SUBJECT: ROLLING STONE

QUESTION: "Hey Blair, I'm sure you've received emails about this, but just in case you haven't... a Rolling Stone journalist said he did shots of Patron with Danny and Maynard at the Grammys and they told him there is a new album in the works. My heart skipped a beat when I read it. Do you have any insight to this rumor?"

REPLY: If Danny and/or Maynard told the guy that there was a new (Tool) album in the works, than who am I to say that it's not so? However, I can't help but wonder if these were decoy band members that attended the Grammys, or, even if they were the actual band members, was this record they were referring to merely a decoy album? As a de-facto ambassador (with or without the white robe of a Fair Witness), keep in mind what I wrote in the January 17th newsletter - namely that if you were to go looking for a band member on the Red Carpet, you better watch out not only for a large Venerian Dragon with a cockney lisp, but for SnARKS that are boojums! Still, if they really are dusting off the dry-erase 'arrangement' board over at the rehearsal space, perhaps it's once again time to remove the violet silk wrap of my faux bird's-eye maple deluxe edition 'talking board' and summon Obelisong, the "pleasant deliverer" of some '10,000 Days" tidbits a couple of years ago. Better yet, what do you say we just wait and see what unfolds over the next few months? Any pertinent news shall be posted in a timely fashion.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #126
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketh74 View Post
Completely agree, however I've gotta say Maynard's two covers are the best I've ever heard.

Looks like the rumor may be true - just thought I'd add this to the thread since it is pertinent information just being redundantly posted everywhere else. In fact, probably the most important piece of news relating to the band to come out of one of Blair's newsletters in a couple of years.

from the newsletter:

SUBJECT: ROLLING STONE

QUESTION: "Hey Blair, I'm sure you've received emails about this, but just in case you haven't... a Rolling Stone journalist said he did shots of Patron with Danny and Maynard at the Grammys and they told him there is a new album in the works. My heart skipped a beat when I read it. Do you have any insight to this rumor?"

REPLY: If Danny and/or Maynard told the guy that there was a new (Tool) album in the works, than who am I to say that it's not so? However, I can't help but wonder if these were decoy band members that attended the Grammys, or, even if they were the actual band members, was this record they were referring to merely a decoy album? As a de-facto ambassador (with or without the white robe of a Fair Witness), keep in mind what I wrote in the January 17th newsletter - namely that if you were to go looking for a band member on the Red Carpet, you better watch out not only for a large Venerian Dragon with a cockney lisp, but for SnARKS that are boojums! Still, if they really are dusting off the dry-erase 'arrangement' board over at the rehearsal space, perhaps it's once again time to remove the violet silk wrap of my faux bird's-eye maple deluxe edition 'talking board' and summon Obelisong, the "pleasant deliverer" of some '10,000 Days" tidbits a couple of years ago. Better yet, what do you say we just wait and see what unfolds over the next few months? Any pertinent news shall be posted in a timely fashion.
03-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I see your point. Although nothing ruined 10,000 Days for me personally as I love the album. That being said, it was over hyped, over speculated and over analyzed to death. So much so that some fans I think ended up with such ridiculous expectations that they never ended up getting the chance to fully enjoy 10,000 Days for the amazing body of work that it is. Much of life seems to end up working out that way....expectation vs. experience I suppose...far too much of the first and far too little of the second.
so true, so true
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #127
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I see your point. Although nothing ruined 10,000 Days for me personally as I love the album. That being said, it was over hyped, over speculated and over analyzed to death. So much so that some fans I think ended up with such ridiculous expectations that they never ended up getting the chance to fully enjoy 10,000 Days for the amazing body of work that it is. Much of life seems to end up working out that way....expectation vs. experience I suppose...far too much of the first and far too little of the second.
so true, so true
03-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I love 10,000 Days because it's awesome. Not because people, websites, magazines, etc. etc. told me it was going to be awesome.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #128
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Agreed. I love 10,000 Days because it's awesome. Not because people, websites, magazines, etc. etc. told me it was going to be awesome.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
03-10-2008, 01:11 PM

I like donuts
Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #129
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I like donuts
03-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I like donuts
lol
Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #130
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I like donuts
lol
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
lol
'ey, I'm embracing the random...haha
Old 03-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #131
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
lol
'ey, I'm embracing the random...haha
03-11-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Very cool. 10,000 Days has had such a love/hate reaction. It has been odd to observe. Some people I think just honestly didn't like the album. Others seem like they wanted a part two of a previous album. I can understand that to an extent. Sometimes a certain album resonates with you on such a high level that it often sort of warps your view of any new work by the same artist. That is a trap that is easy to fall into I think. I try to take the exact opposite approach with bands I like. I want their new material to continually evolve as the bands musical vocabularly and personal tastes grow and change. I really don't like bands that basically write the same album over and over again to appeal to their specific targeted marketing demographic. I think that kind of writting process only lends itself to complacency and alot of repeat formula crap. Tool took a chance with 10,000 Days and I for one am extremely happy they had the balls to write the music they wanted to write rather than just writting to appease the fan base. And as we all know...at the end of the day...you really can never truly appease Tool fans !
I don't think they've ever once got off track from what they wanted to do for the sake of appealing to or appeasing fans. If this were even slightly true then why would they have fought so hard to have full control over what they create in their contract?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #132
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Very cool. 10,000 Days has had such a love/hate reaction. It has been odd to observe. Some people I think just honestly didn't like the album. Others seem like they wanted a part two of a previous album. I can understand that to an extent. Sometimes a certain album resonates with you on such a high level that it often sort of warps your view of any new work by the same artist. That is a trap that is easy to fall into I think. I try to take the exact opposite approach with bands I like. I want their new material to continually evolve as the bands musical vocabularly and personal tastes grow and change. I really don't like bands that basically write the same album over and over again to appeal to their specific targeted marketing demographic. I think that kind of writting process only lends itself to complacency and alot of repeat formula crap. Tool took a chance with 10,000 Days and I for one am extremely happy they had the balls to write the music they wanted to write rather than just writting to appease the fan base. And as we all know...at the end of the day...you really can never truly appease Tool fans !
I don't think they've ever once got off track from what they wanted to do for the sake of appealing to or appeasing fans. If this were even slightly true then why would they have fought so hard to have full control over what they create in their contract?
03-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I agree. I was simply making a more general observation on how 10,000 Days was recieved within the Tool community.
I concur
Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #133
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I agree. I was simply making a more general observation on how 10,000 Days was recieved within the Tool community.
I concur
03-12-2008, 02:38 PM

A lot of good points have been brought up in this thread. I was a little saddened that a good portion of the Tool fanbase turn their back on 10,000 Days. Such a shame, especially when you consider how personal the album is.
Tool is a very philosophical band, and philosophy, as I'm sure a lot of people have realised in these threads, shares a lot of things in common with religion and politics. In other words, conversations about these three topics tends to illicit the same kind of responses in people. The topics seem to be a breeding ground for insults, anger, and ego-maniacal behavior. On the other hand, there's just nothing finer than having someone else see eye to eye with you on those subjects.
The reason I bring all this up is because I feel that people become very fond of Tool's different philosophical outlooks on life. Maybe Aenima really seemed to sum up many people's perspective on the world around them. Maybe Lateralus got in touch with a little sliver of their spiritual side. Tool sings about things that resonate very deeply within us all. Some of us relate to Tool much like we do to our own family. With family, you know the good and the ugly, and understand it. You understand why they behave the way they do sometimes. You understand why they're pissed off, sad, or ecstatic. I think many of the fans try to relate to Tool as if it were their own flesh and blood. However, things change, people change, and so do bands. So just as people take it personally when they're having issues with their family, Tool fans take it personally when it feels like they can't relate to the band. Ever have a relative you used to really enjoy company with, only to find that a few years down the road it seemed as though they had changed, and you could no longer relate to them? This definitely seems prevalent in a lot of the Tool fanbase. I'm not saying that it's terrible thing either, it's just part of the nature of Tool fans. Most of what I'm saying ties in strongly with what someone posted earlier about expectation vs. experience. I think a lot of the expectancy stems from people's strong affinity towards the band.

Last edited by Cheesegreater; 03-12-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #134
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

A lot of good points have been brought up in this thread. I was a little saddened that a good portion of the Tool fanbase turn their back on 10,000 Days. Such a shame, especially when you consider how personal the album is.
Tool is a very philosophical band, and philosophy, as I'm sure a lot of people have realised in these threads, shares a lot of things in common with religion and politics. In other words, conversations about these three topics tends to illicit the same kind of responses in people. The topics seem to be a breeding ground for insults, anger, and ego-maniacal behavior. On the other hand, there's just nothing finer than having someone else see eye to eye with you on those subjects.
The reason I bring all this up is because I feel that people become very fond of Tool's different philosophical outlooks on life. Maybe Aenima really seemed to sum up many people's perspective on the world around them. Maybe Lateralus got in touch with a little sliver of their spiritual side. Tool sings about things that resonate very deeply within us all. Some of us relate to Tool much like we do to our own family. With family, you know the good and the ugly, and understand it. You understand why they behave the way they do sometimes. You understand why they're pissed off, sad, or ecstatic. I think many of the fans try to relate to Tool as if it were their own flesh and blood. However, things change, people change, and so do bands. So just as people take it personally when they're having issues with their family, Tool fans take it personally when it feels like they can't relate to the band. Ever have a relative you used to really enjoy company with, only to find that a few years down the road it seemed as though they had changed, and you could no longer relate to them? This definitely seems prevalent in a lot of the Tool fanbase. I'm not saying that it's terrible thing either, it's just part of the nature of Tool fans. Most of what I'm saying ties in strongly with what someone posted earlier about expectation vs. experience. I think a lot of the expectancy stems from people's strong affinity towards the band.

Last edited by Cheesegreater; 03-12-2008 at 02:41 PM..
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
Very good post.

Not to take things off topic, but this whole forum is a pretty fertile breeding ground for insults, anger, and ego-maniac like behavior. So it's to be expected, no matter how relevant or high quality posts are, on any topic here.

Of course, the albums people love to hate are the fertilist of the fertile. Close-mindedness, and overexpectation are two of humanity's worst demons.

I enjoy 10k D (as much as the rest), because it touches deeply on certain experiences I've had in life. If I hadn't had those experiences, I probably wouldn't be able to relate to it as well. But I honestly think I would still like it. I also like the album because of its relatively radical departure from the previous. I tend to embrace change and hold new approaches to be often of great importance. And I'm certainly not saying that anyone who feels the opposite about those concepts is wrong. I suppose it's pretty obvious musical taste and personal philosophy's are subjective, and this fact is of great importance to "the collective". We've gotta have both sides constantly pushing pulling in order to find the vital balance. It would be ideal if it could be done with much less anger, insults, and ego-mania.

So anyway, I am open to whatever they do next. At least it is looking solid and definite there is going to be a "next", and apparently alot sooner than we all expected.

Again, my compliments on your post.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #135
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
Very good post.

Not to take things off topic, but this whole forum is a pretty fertile breeding ground for insults, anger, and ego-maniac like behavior. So it's to be expected, no matter how relevant or high quality posts are, on any topic here.

Of course, the albums people love to hate are the fertilist of the fertile. Close-mindedness, and overexpectation are two of humanity's worst demons.

I enjoy 10k D (as much as the rest), because it touches deeply on certain experiences I've had in life. If I hadn't had those experiences, I probably wouldn't be able to relate to it as well. But I honestly think I would still like it. I also like the album because of its relatively radical departure from the previous. I tend to embrace change and hold new approaches to be often of great importance. And I'm certainly not saying that anyone who feels the opposite about those concepts is wrong. I suppose it's pretty obvious musical taste and personal philosophy's are subjective, and this fact is of great importance to "the collective". We've gotta have both sides constantly pushing pulling in order to find the vital balance. It would be ideal if it could be done with much less anger, insults, and ego-mania.

So anyway, I am open to whatever they do next. At least it is looking solid and definite there is going to be a "next", and apparently alot sooner than we all expected.

Again, my compliments on your post.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply