Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
SecondSun
12-27-2007, 09:48 PM

I don't know if anybody here already knows about this or not...

Tool may have not released an official live DVD yet, but there is something pretty close. Someone by the name of JI Smith has taken all of the best footage (quite a bit being close to pro quality) as well as audio from the best bootlegs of different shows from the 2006/2007 tours and edited them into a DVD. For live footage of Tool, this is as close as one can get to professional quality. All of the files to the DVD can be downloaded as torrents from Zomb. Some of the footage from the DVD is up on Youtube as well, thanks to HuntingtonSt.

Vicarious - http://youtube.com/watch?v=G4oe41UoIcw&feature=related
The Pot - http://youtube.com/watch?v=dZwDZjX_Kw8&feature=related
Jambi - http://youtube.com/watch?v=MHjmUhhTOdE&feature=related
Forty Six & 2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8NKQaPLWwYI&feature=related
Schism - http://youtube.com/watch?v=nkic0_Yk_Qk&feature=related
Lateralus - http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoAxFguEqWs&feature=related
Old 12-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Tool DVD 2006/2007 JI Smith

Tool may have not released an official live DVD yet, but there is something pretty close. Someone by the name of JI Smith has taken all of the best footage (quite a bit being close to pro quality) as well as audio from the best bootlegs of different shows from the 2006/2007 tours and edited them into a DVD. For live footage of Tool, this is as close as one can get to professional quality. All of the files to the DVD can be downloaded as torrents from Zomb. Some of the footage from the DVD is up on Youtube as well, thanks to HuntingtonSt.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mvb
12-28-2007, 02:44 AM

Not even close to pro quality.
It's also "advertised" as a compilation of the tour.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
mvb
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Tool DVD 2006/2007 JI Smith

SecondSun
12-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
For live footage of Tool, this is as close as one can get to professional quality.
So what if it's a compilation? I still think it's pretty cool. I guess nobody else appreciates what someone has spent several months doing because whiney Tool fans won't stop bickering about a live DVD, even though many of them have been to 7 or more shows.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
For live footage of Tool, this is as close as one can get to professional quality.
So what if it's a compilation? I still think it's pretty cool. I guess nobody else appreciates what someone has spent several months doing because whiney Tool fans won't stop bickering about a live DVD, even though many of them have been to 7 or more shows.
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
12-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Well it's gotta be alot better than NOTHING!

Just man... can you imagine when we get the real thing...

I can understand maybe using the analogy of a Pontiac Fiero to Danny's Lamborghini. But a fully functional licensed and tagged Pontiac Fiero is most definitely better than no wheels at all.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Well it's gotta be alot better than NOTHING!

Just man... can you imagine when we get the real thing...

I can understand maybe using the analogy of a Pontiac Fiero to Danny's Lamborghini. But a fully functional licensed and tagged Pontiac Fiero is most definitely better than no wheels at all.
01-23-2008, 05:13 AM

When (or IF) we get a dvd how good could it really be? Adam never moves or shows any emotion and Maynard lurks in the shadows. I would buy a copy just to watch Justin and Danny.

$100 says we never get a dvd.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

When (or IF) we get a dvd how good could it really be? Adam never moves or shows any emotion and Maynard lurks in the shadows. I would buy a copy just to watch Justin and Danny.

guitarpete987
02-04-2008, 08:32 AM

You know, I am beginning to think that a live tool DVD wouldn't be all that great. I mean, as someone earlier said, other than the visuals and the fact that they usually sound great the band themselves (other than danny) really isn't all that interesting to look at when on stage.

Maybe they should just release a DVD of a show with the camera entirely fixed on Danny.

Actually, that sounds exactly like something Tool would do, just to playfully irritate most people while satisfying the demented urges of a few. Kinda like those David Cross commentaries.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

You know, I am beginning to think that a live tool DVD wouldn't be all that great. I mean, as someone earlier said, other than the visuals and the fact that they usually sound great the band themselves (other than danny) really isn't all that interesting to look at when on stage.

Maybe they should just release a DVD of a show with the camera entirely fixed on Danny.

Actually, that sounds exactly like something Tool would do, just to playfully irritate most people while satisfying the demented urges of a few. Kinda like those David Cross commentaries.
StoneyB's Avatar StoneyB
02-05-2008, 01:30 PM

I've personally never thought a live DVD was a good idea. It doesn't seem like it would do justice to actually being at a show. There would be something huge lost in the translation.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

I've personally never thought a live DVD was a good idea. It doesn't seem like it would do justice to actually being at a show. There would be something huge lost in the translation.
Cheesegreater
02-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyB View Post
But there always is, and that's fine. A live DVD is a different art form. A great live DVD at least reminds you of the intensity of their live shows, and for those who never got to see them live, they finally get to see first hand how the band plays together.

I know Maynard's views he's voiced on live DVDs, but I respectfully disagree with what he says. He says they're nothing more than clever camera angles and a lot of remastering. That may be true, but that is the nature of great DVDs. They're supposed to be epic. There's supposed to be a cool sweeping camera angle sometime to compliment the music. It's okay. You're not demeaning the music by letting others maximize the Tool concert experience. It only does it justice.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyB View Post
But there always is, and that's fine. A live DVD is a different art form. A great live DVD at least reminds you of the intensity of their live shows, and for those who never got to see them live, they finally get to see first hand how the band plays together.

I know Maynard's views he's voiced on live DVDs, but I respectfully disagree with what he says. He says they're nothing more than clever camera angles and a lot of remastering. That may be true, but that is the nature of great DVDs. They're supposed to be epic. There's supposed to be a cool sweeping camera angle sometime to compliment the music. It's okay. You're not demeaning the music by letting others maximize the Tool concert experience. It only does it justice.
๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
02-05-2008, 09:46 PM

I didn't think any of his videos were really that good. I hated the sound. Just browse the user huntingtonst on youtube. He's got a lot of great live footage.

WATCH OUT: You're dead.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I didn't think any of his videos were really that good. I hated the sound. Just browse the user huntingtonst on youtube. He's got a lot of great live footage.

WATCH OUT: You're dead.
StoneyB's Avatar StoneyB
02-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Yea, that's true. There will always be something lost in translation, but I'm sure a lot of people who have never seen them live would love the DVD. I personally like the way they play together on stage. They each find a comfort zone when they play.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Yea, that's true. There will always be something lost in translation, but I'm sure a lot of people who have never seen them live would love the DVD. I personally like the way they play together on stage. They each find a comfort zone when they play.
chonus's Avatar chonus
02-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post

I'll take that bet.

Never's a really long time...

Last edited by chonus; 02-07-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post

I'll take that bet.

Last edited by chonus; 02-07-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
02-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonus View Post
I'll take that bet.

Hahahahahahahah!

Good one, Chonus!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonus View Post
I'll take that bet.

Hahahahahahahah!

Good one, Chonus!
02-10-2008, 05:55 AM

I seem to remember reading something around here about some guy who does live band DVD's offering/asking Tool if he could do a live DVD of them and offering them like one million dollars and that Maynard (or one of the band members) told him he could do it as long as he only shot their feet. Anyone else remember that?

Obviously they can and will do whatever they want, but I just don't get why they wouldn't just do one for their fans, themselves, or to capture their incredible live performance for music history/art's sake. Not that it necessarily matters, but their big heroes, Pink Floyd and King Crimson, have numerous live DVD's out there. I don't get it.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
Prana

Bincount™: 8

I seem to remember reading something around here about some guy who does live band DVD's offering/asking Tool if he could do a live DVD of them and offering them like one million dollars and that Maynard (or one of the band members) told him he could do it as long as he only shot their feet. Anyone else remember that?

Obviously they can and will do whatever they want, but I just don't get why they wouldn't just do one for their fans, themselves, or to capture their incredible live performance for music history/art's sake. Not that it necessarily matters, but their big heroes, Pink Floyd and King Crimson, have numerous live DVD's out there. I don't get it.
02-10-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
do more drugs
Old 02-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #14
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
do more drugs
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
02-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath View Post

Patience.............
Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath View Post

Patience.............
02-17-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ View Post
Thanks, man.

Very acceptable footage.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ View Post
Thanks, man.

Very acceptable footage.
02-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Eh, I don't like the editing. I thought when he said "edited" it would mean mastered audio, and maybe if several people were recording one show he would switch between camera angles. This, on the other hand, just isn't my thing--having Maynard with his pseudo-mohawk for one moment and then wearing a cowboy hat five seconds later just doesn't work.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Eh, I don't like the editing. I thought when he said "edited" it would mean mastered audio, and maybe if several people were recording one show he would switch between camera angles. This, on the other hand, just isn't my thing--having Maynard with his pseudo-mohawk for one moment and then wearing a cowboy hat five seconds later just doesn't work.
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
02-19-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
I've seen videoclips where they use live footage in the same way. So hey, what's the deal?
I wasn't comparing this to whatever may ever come out as a live DVD in any way.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #18
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
I've seen videoclips where they use live footage in the same way. So hey, what's the deal?
I wasn't comparing this to whatever may ever come out as a live DVD in any way.
02-27-2008, 09:04 AM

I think this is great, it would be cool to have a "best of" dvd from every tour, now that would be nice.. I have a few shows from lateralus and there are bits and pieces that just kick ass , hmm, maybe I will make a comp !
Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I think this is great, it would be cool to have a "best of" dvd from every tour, now that would be nice.. I have a few shows from lateralus and there are bits and pieces that just kick ass , hmm, maybe I will make a comp !
inSin's Avatar inSin
03-07-2008, 01:28 PM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_Vbs...eature=related

aww no live dvd. maynard said no. damn looks like we just have to go to the shows... damn...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_Vbs...eature=related

aww no live dvd. maynard said no. damn looks like we just have to go to the shows... damn...
taxi_driver
03-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondSun View Post

I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, but thanks for this post. Thank you very much.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #21
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondSun View Post

I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, but thanks for this post. Thank you very much.
domer88's Avatar domer88
03-13-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb View Post
Compared to EVERY OTHER tool dvd out there, this one is pretty damn good. I just got it the other night from ZOMB and yeah, its really good quality and the sound is top notch.. Of course its not like being at the show but fuck it, it has the only really good version of the Schism twist that I have heard yet (speed up in the middle).. good stuff, thanks allot, I love it.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb View Post
Compared to EVERY OTHER tool dvd out there, this one is pretty damn good. I just got it the other night from ZOMB and yeah, its really good quality and the sound is top notch.. Of course its not like being at the show but fuck it, it has the only really good version of the Schism twist that I have heard yet (speed up in the middle).. good stuff, thanks allot, I love it.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply