opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #201
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: TooL Tour without an Album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post

This part actually made me smile, and I kind of have to agree. Maynard is wearing pretty thin on me these days, and his side projects are just such dogshit, especially compared to Tool. (I haven't tried his wine yet because I'm sure there's no way it lives up to its price tag.)
You see, the thing about this is that this side of Maynard doesn't bother me. It's all very ironic, actually. For so long people believed he was one thing and it turns out that he's actually another thing altogether. He was always selling us an image. And we bought it. This was really him all along, but he was playing an act. Kinda like Ziggy Stardust, except Maynard's never had a name. But he's never really presented himself as anything other than extremely sarcastic and blunt. He's even smarter than any of us really ever thought.

Oh, and I don't think Maynard's trying to be "sexy." I think he's just being silly. really.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:09 AM   #202
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 35

Your post is sour like a sponge swollen with lemon juice... but there's a lot of truth in it. I don't agree with all the haters, violently screaming about how Maynard fails to hit a note or about the lyrics being not filled with angst anymore, but you've just nailed down the subliminal feeling I had of being lied.
Maybe, though, if we could just enjoy the music, think for ourselves and stop over-thinking, over-analyzing, glorifying the band - which was the message all the way - nothing would feel wrong right now. I have some sort of internal disagreement because of Danny, he's the greatest drummer for me however I'm not fond of his occult fascination.
Anyway - I'll enjoy their music probably very long if not always, and I can't wait for the new stuff.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #203
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał View Post
I have some sort of internal disagreement because of Danny, he's the greatest drummer for me however I'm not fond of his occult fascination.
"Fear is the mind killer."
Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #204
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
Don't brush this quote off, its more troof than anything, ever.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
Fear is not the same as caution, nor is fear the same as disapproval or dislike. So, whatever profound point you were trying to make with that quote is completely irrelevant.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner View Post
im starting to think im wrong about this after the reviews. ill know saturday night!
I felt exactly like you did, and if you saw my review in the Cedar Park thread, you know that I ate my words pretty hard. I haven't heard Maynard sound that good since 2001. It was incredible.

And not only was he singing on key and clearly, he was singing the songs much closer to the way they sound on the albums, rather than messing with the melodies. It just sounded so much better, I'm done trying to describe it because I can't.

I hope for your sake that his voice holds up through the Saturday show. If it doesn't, well, you can Youtube the Cedar Park show and hear for yourself if you haven't already.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #207
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by withSpirit View Post
Fear is not the same as caution, nor is fear the same as disapproval or dislike.
So why is it that you are cautious? Why do you disapprove? Why do you dislike?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #208

Bincount™: 21
TooL Tour without an Album?

Tool is touring right now without an album.. Its pretty obvious why, I mean judging by the setlist.

Tool wants everyone to know that they are prying open their 3rd eye and writing new shyt.

I mean why else would they start their show with it? they need you to be ready, lolz
Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #209
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
You see, the thing about this is that this side of Maynard doesn't bother me. It's all very ironic, actually. For so long people believed he was one thing and it turns out that he's actually another thing altogether. He was always selling us an image. And we bought it. This was really him all along, but he was playing an act. Kinda like Ziggy Stardust, except Maynard's never had a name. But he's never really presented himself as anything other than extremely sarcastic and blunt. He's even smarter than any of us really ever thought.

Oh, and I don't think Maynard's trying to be "sexy." I think he's just being silly. really.
I agree with the majority of all that is written here other than him being "smarter than any of us thought."

But even with all that being said, it does not take away from the fact that maynard doesnt have the voice he once had. I have looked up every single new live show from this tour and he has to do the live screams during third eye with a voice effect because he cant hit the notes. This is just objective truth and once again, you can not like me, you can choose to not like the way i write about it, but it does not take any validity away from my original point.

I almost feel bad writing this because i like the band and maynard so much and i have honestly seen an actual desire from him, on this tour, to give it all he has and that is all i expect. My respect for him as a live performer has gone up since the last tour. If his heart is not in it, he is doing a good job acting and that is great.

Finally, it looks like the point and purpose of my post has made an impact and done what it was meant to do in the first place. Im sure he has seen this post and is now trying to prove the "haters" wrong and therefore giving you, the consumer, a better performance.

You can write your thank you messages addressed to me in this thread or via PM if you would like to extend your appreciation for improving your quality of life and concert going experience.

Last edited by Elton John; 06-26-2010 at 12:19 AM..
Old 06-26-2010, 04:13 AM   #210
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton John View Post
Finally, it looks like the point and purpose of my post has made an impact and done what it was meant to do in the first place. Im sure he has seen this post and is now trying to prove the "haters" wrong and therefore giving you, the consumer, a better performance.

You can write your thank you messages addressed to me in this thread or via PM if you would like to extend your appreciation for improving your quality of life and concert going experience.
Bwahahaha! I'm sure Maynard hasn't read this thread. Really? We can all thank you? I hope you are kidding because that really made me laugh.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #211
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody27 View Post
tool only sold out compared to this demigod like image you guys have created in your head. they're not these angry hardcore rebels that are trying to take over the world with badass music, they're fucking rodeo clowns, they've said it themselves. they don't even take themselves seriously anymore because once you reach a certain status and fame, there's a whole lifestyle waiting for you already, and you have to tip toe around that to make it through the muck of fame and fortune. imo, they've handled all their fame pretty tastefully, tools about evolving and growing, so why shouldn't they reach for the stars and try new things if it's within their grasp? or would you rather see maynard suffer every night and sing angry demonic songs for the rest of his career, as he's said before, "if i can't heal from my art, then what's the point in doing it at all?"
Thank you!! You just crystallized everything.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #212
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
uplifting lyrics? Lateralus was uplifting. 10K couldn't lift my ball sac (and I has small balls)
I couldn't disagree more!! Wings for Marie 1 and 2 were respectively uplifting!!! That album was probably the most thought out album Tool has put out!!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #213
Level 3 - Talker

(throwing a log on the fire)

4 words - Guitar Hero World Tour. Now *that's* mainstream. Love 'em as I may, their involvement in that little project pissed me off. But you know what? It was their involvement that induced me to buy that stupid game. So I guess they know what they're doing.

And yeah. Enough of Maynard's stupid side projects. Be the Tool frontman, buddy. THAT is what got you where you are, after all.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #214
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentDMT View Post
So I am thinking this tour has some deeper meaning to it than them trying to make a quick buck over the summer. My rationale is as follows:

During the last two tours, they curiously added Flood to the setlist. While it makes sense after Katrina, they continued with it... Flood is lengthy part to the setlist... being an older and less well known piece, its curious they should add this.

This tour is clearly not geared towards making money.... the cities, save a few, are not particularly huge... The tour starts in New Orleans, moves to Houston, and then follows the path up the central US... almost like the path of a hurricane. The first two cities, are the last two cities hit by a major hurricane in the united states... I think on some level, the topography of this tour, mixed with their curious addition of Flood to the setlist, and the fact that this tour is absurdly deviant from their typical pattern leads to the conclusion that they in some way are trying to connect themselves to the coming disasters... Oddly, all signs point to a tulmultuous hydro-carbon laden hurricane season this year.... just a thought. Perhaps they are warning people? Perhaps they are enchanting the hurricanes to come?

All i know, is in 2008, Ike was dancing with landfall on the Floridian coast. So, I stupidly, purchased Intrade shares for a landfall in Florida... From that point on, the hurricane adjusted it course... such that it hit Houston directly (where I live).. The wall of the eye passed directly over my house... I foolishly insulted karma... and it reared its wrathful hand all over my yard and house.... The shape of an eye is the one that all animals perceive equally as the sign for a sentient living being... curious we should also perceive a hurricane to be the same shape... perhaps there are more powerful forces at work whos absurd explanation tests our rational understanding of the natural world. hurricanes are fucking absurdly powerful acts of cosmic fury...

/paranoid schizophrenic rant.

you can bet they will play Flood on this tour.

here comes the water.
Wait, ummmmm.....

I guess the most obvious answer here is that no, Flood has not appeared on the setlist as yet. As to the rest, I'm just speechless.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #215
Level 10 - Vehement

^ LOL they played Flood pretty much at the very same moment of that post....

06.29.2010 - Denver, CO @ Red Rocks
Reviews only, please.

Setlist:

Third eye
Jambi
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Intension
Right in Two
Schism
Flood
Lateralus w dalek
Ænema
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #216
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
^ LOL they played Flood pretty much at the very same moment of that post....

06.29.2010 - Denver, CO @ Red Rocks
Reviews only, please.

Setlist:

Third eye
Jambi
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Intension
Right in Two
Schism
Flood
Lateralus w dalek
Ænema
LOL! I stand corrected! :-P
Old 11-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #217
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well at least he finally admits it guys. I for one think this was honesty that makes me respect him even more.

But the most important thing about maynard's admission that he cant sing like he used to is that i am vindicated and proved right, as i always am.

Seriously....i am owed hundreds of apologies and admissions that i was right, and you all were wrong.

At about the 5 minute mark, till the end of the video maynard finally comes clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E79Gya0USQ
Old 11-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #218
Level 10 - Vehement

It must hurt having your head up your ass the whole time.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #219
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

nice ad hominem...where is your admission that you were wrong and i was right though?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #220

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
Well at least he finally admits it guys. I for one think this was honesty that makes me respect him even more.

But the most important thing about maynard's admission that he cant sing like he used to is that i am vindicated and proved right, as i always am.

Seriously....i am owed hundreds of apologies and admissions that i was right, and you all were wrong.

At about the 5 minute mark, till the end of the video maynard finally comes clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E79Gya0USQ
dude, are you really that butt-hurt about all this? and do you really care what all these internet plebeians think??

If you don't like that some asshat cant sing like he used to, then don't buy his albums and stay away from his concerts. I can't figure out why you are incessantly bitching on some forum..
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #221
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I find it hysterical that all of you have maynard's "tool" so far down your "perfect circles" that it took him ADMITTING that he cant sing like he used to for you to catch on that his voice is no where close to what it was. I know not everyone can be as prolific at analyzing music as me but come on, it was plain as day from 2005 on that his vocal chops have atrophied substantially. All you have to do is listen to him live and you can tell if you have hearing.

And why would i stop buying his albums or stay away from his concerts when he is my favorite front man of all time? You are literally arguing with a straw man because i have never once said that i dont like him or dont want to invest in his endeavors.... i was just pointing out that he cant sing like he used to and all of you fanboys start freaking out which i find rather amusing.

The bottom line is i am vindicated and none of you would admit that he cant sing like he used to unless it came straight from the horses mouth...and it did and that brings me joy.

Last edited by Elton John; 11-26-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #222
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
TooL is slowly becomming watered down and it just pisses me off. From them showing their faces on the 10kdays CD to them doing every single dumb ass interview they can get in any retarded metal magazine, to Maynard doing "Puscifer" and showing us that he is hands down the weakest link in tool, to maynard wearing cowboy hats and boots with tight jeans and no shirt on stage trying to look "sexy", to maynard exploiting his celebrity status to sell his wine instead of letting his wine sell its self because it is a good product. If you told me all of this was going to happen in the 90s i wouldnt have believed you for a second.

Its all so god damn [slur removed]. I want my demon maynard back...not this wine selling "rapper" who sings some of the time in the best band on the planet.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #223
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

he cant sing *exactly* like he used to.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #224
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurok View Post
sings better
i wouldnt go that far...
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #225
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurok View Post
so your ear likes all that "screaming the head off" and fast music...
no, what makes you say that? i just dont see how you think he sings better now than what he used to..?
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #226
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I find it hysterical that all of you have maynard's "tool" so far down your "perfect circles" that it took him ADMITTING that he cant sing like he used to for you to catch on that his voice is no where close to what it was. I know not everyone can be as prolific at analyzing music as me but come on, it was plain as day from 2005 on that his vocal chops have atrophied substantially. All you have to do is listen to him live and you can tell if you have hearing.

And why would i stop buying his albums or stay away from his concerts when he is my favorite front man of all time? You are literally arguing with a straw man because i have never once said that i dont like him or dont want to invest in his endeavors.... i was just pointing out that he cant sing like he used to and all of you fanboys start freaking out which i find rather amusing.

The bottom line is i am vindicated and none of you would admit that he cant sing like he used to unless it came straight from the horses mouth...and it did and that brings me joy.
I've been reading your posts for the last two pages...fucking hilarious man.

I don't really disagree with any of it. The guy can't sing as well as he used to or with as much passion, but in my opinion he still sounds amazing when he sings an octave lower or at mid-range.

Still my favorite front man and singer of all time, but the guy is old...I just wish I could have seen them from 1990-2001. Oh well, at least I got Wings and the ending of Vicarious when I saw them live in 07.

Worthy note:
Have you checked out the video of them doing The Pot in C? Actually sounds pretty good in my opinion. He even manages to pull off a scream at the end.

Last edited by nedak; 11-30-2010 at 05:58 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #227
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I love maynard and he is trying tio sing better...come at me
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #228
Level 2 - Poster

All I know is...........I'm getting me some tix today for a show or 2. Tucson and possibly Vegas. I am NEVER disappointed by any of their shows. I don't care what the setlist is..I will go even if it's the same one over and over. I mean, come on, it's LIVE music and it's TOOL and we never know what songs we'll actually get. Sometimes I think I hear tidbits of songs that could possibly be part of another song, only we don't know it yet.. kinda like with Wings for Marie... And as we all know now, there is an album in the works. MJ must be ADD.. goes from APC to Puscifer to Tool back to Puscifer, in less than a year! One can only scream for so long before they start to realize they're changing how they feel about what they were once screaming for...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #229
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmIASm View Post
All I know is...........I'm getting me some tix today for a show or 2. Tucson and possibly Vegas. I am NEVER disappointed by any of their shows. I don't care what the setlist is..I will go even if it's the same one over and over. I mean, come on, it's LIVE music and it's TOOL and we never know what songs we'll actually get. Sometimes I think I hear tidbits of songs that could possibly be part of another song, only we don't know it yet.. kinda like with Wings for Marie... And as we all know now, there is an album in the works. MJ must be ADD.. goes from APC to Puscifer to Tool back to Puscifer, in less than a year! One can only scream for so long before they start to realize they're changing how they feel about what they were once screaming for...
amen.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #230
Level 7 - Loquacious

Wow....buying these tickets is always a pain in the ass. FUCK.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #231
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard says no album in 2013 while Danny says a new album will come out this year. Danny also said they are working on a 20 minute piece that reminded him of the Disposition, Reflection and triad composition on Lateralus.

Here is to hoping the album doesn't suck, Cheers!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #232
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Sooooo, how have the shows been in 2014?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #233
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Sooooo, how have the shows been in 2014?
The shows have progressed about as much as the new album it would seem ;)
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #234
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
The shows have progressed about as much as the new album it would seem ;)
i absolutely LOVED each and every show i have seen to date. Yes they play a lot of the same stuff, but i have to say it is ALWAYS different. i saw one of the first shows of the 2007 tour and i saw the last show and granted only a couple of songs were switched out, but it was a different venue giving it a smaller stage and the lights had to be positioned differently, plus i saw it from a vastly different vantage point and i had a different chemical compositions… they turned out to be completely different experiences.

I caught the San Diego show of this tour and i was blown the fuck out of my seat. New opener (which I'm sure they've used before but new to me). Vicarious was much softer and slower, almost droning on continuing to build to a huge climax. I got the feeling that Maynard was getting either frustrated or stoked on the crowed singing his songs. He would either try to sing over them or just let them do it. I kept wishing everyone would just shut up and let him sing it…

The Visuals were new (ish) a lot of the same set up, but i commented to my girl that it seems as if they buy an addition to the set with every tour because every time i see them they have a bigger screen, or another laser machine, or all of a sudden this shits moving around every song… it keeps getting bigger and better. I thought it was great they've added a seated floor and an intermission as if it were a symphony. so civilized. Maybe now people will quit calling danny's solo "the intermission" and they'll fucking pay attention to his genius at work!

My point is, Tool is the only band that i will NEVER miss when they come around because i know i won't be disappointed. Every show is a different experience and even if they sat there and played acoustic versions with the house lights on i. will. support. them. Not only because i dig their brand/sound/message, or what i have gained from researching whats behind the lyrics, but because i believe they are artists with integrity who never seem to half ass a Tool project and i feel that they should be able to make a decent living at it.
[Tucson07] [LasVegas07] [Phoenix09] [Tucson12] [SanDiego14] [SanFrancisco16] [SanDiego16] [TheGorge17] [Chicago18] [Denver19] [Denver19] [Glendale20] [Portland20] [Tacoma22] [Anaheim22] [SaltLakeCity22] [Orlando22] [Chicago22] [London22]
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #235

Bincount™: 7676

Great posting, eE
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #236
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Thanks jag, you wanna go out or what?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #237
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

BTW i heard from a reliable source that this post made tool change up their set list. You are welcome friends.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #238
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard trying = orgasm.

No one gives a shit if you cant hit every note from when you where 30 years old...you are 50 now, just try, thats all we care about.

We want to see the fire, the passion....reclaim it, its yours, no one cares if you fuck up vocally.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #239
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Maynard trying = orgasm.

No one gives a shit if you cant hit every note from when you where 30enough years old...you are 50 now, just try, thats all we care about.

We want to see the fire, the passion....reclaim it, its yours, no one cares if you fuck up vocally.
Well put sir. Idk what his pompous problem is. They could definitely do songs like D/R/T or H. Im SO glad i was fortunate enough to see them Undertow ..Aenima and Lateralus tours. And feel bad for the fans who have only seen them for 10k days.
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: