Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Apr-July 2007
User Name
Password
agent27
05-03-2007, 01:53 PM

This was my 9th Tool show and first since the last time Tool played at the Cox. As always, they delivered perfection. Visually, this may have been one of their best, second only to the Halloween show they played here a few years ago.

I would agree that it seems Maynard was a little more mellow than previous performances. I told my girlfriend that he would be in his skivvies by the 6th or 7th song. By the 3rd song he lost the jacket and the hat so I figured it was inevitable, but wouldn't ya know it, that's as far as it went.

The set list was fantastic, but I too was a little surprised that they didn't play at least one song from Undertow, like Sober or Prison Sex. All in all an awesome show.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/02 - San Diego, CA - Cox Arena

This was my 9th Tool show and first since the last time Tool played at the Cox. As always, they delivered perfection. Visually, this may have been one of their best, second only to the Halloween show they played here a few years ago.

I would agree that it seems Maynard was a little more mellow than previous performances. I told my girlfriend that he would be in his skivvies by the 6th or 7th song. By the 3rd song he lost the jacket and the hat so I figured it was inevitable, but wouldn't ya know it, that's as far as it went.

The set list was fantastic, but I too was a little surprised that they didn't play at least one song from Undertow, like Sober or Prison Sex. All in all an awesome show.
OFFLINE |  
Cid's Avatar Cid
05-03-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Awesome show. Best one I've been to from the new Tour. (Coachella/Vegas May 06/Street Scene.)
were you at the vegas hard rock show last year? i think that show had much more energy and an overall better experience than this one.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
Old 05-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #42
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Awesome show. Best one I've been to from the new Tour. (Coachella/Vegas May 06/Street Scene.)
were you at the vegas hard rock show last year? i think that show had much more energy and an overall better experience than this one.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
OFFLINE |  
FlowerOFlife
05-03-2007, 02:41 PM

7th show for me and I too was a little hesitant going in after reading the Vegas posts but I was BLOWN AWAY! Really one of the best shows for me by far, except for seeing them on the Lateralus tour with all of Alex Grey's artwork which will always be my favorite I suppose. I had the opportunity to take my 2 teen kids for the first time along with 2 other friends of theirs so that was a real special experience for them. They did seem a little rough around the edges maybe for the first couple of songs but hardly noticible. Set list was nearly perfect except for one or two from Undertow would have been nice, thankfully they didn't play The Pot, really don't get the popularity of that song, too "radio friendly" for me. The lasers were the shit, wish I had been trippin. I didn't stop moving the entire time and 10,000 days and wings were definatly an intense spiritual journey for me. Right In Two was 10x better live, love it anyhow but live was orgasmic! Overall the energy, the flow, the visuals were more than I could have hoped for. I could never say anything negative about Tool, I'm so honored to be lucky enough to be a part of what they are about and thankful for what they do, they are by far the most visionary artists alive today. THANKS TOOL FOR CHANGING MY LIFE!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

7th show for me and I too was a little hesitant going in after reading the Vegas posts but I was BLOWN AWAY! Really one of the best shows for me by far, except for seeing them on the Lateralus tour with all of Alex Grey's artwork which will always be my favorite I suppose. I had the opportunity to take my 2 teen kids for the first time along with 2 other friends of theirs so that was a real special experience for them. They did seem a little rough around the edges maybe for the first couple of songs but hardly noticible. Set list was nearly perfect except for one or two from Undertow would have been nice, thankfully they didn't play The Pot, really don't get the popularity of that song, too "radio friendly" for me. The lasers were the shit, wish I had been trippin. I didn't stop moving the entire time and 10,000 days and wings were definatly an intense spiritual journey for me. Right In Two was 10x better live, love it anyhow but live was orgasmic! Overall the energy, the flow, the visuals were more than I could have hoped for. I could never say anything negative about Tool, I'm so honored to be lucky enough to be a part of what they are about and thankful for what they do, they are by far the most visionary artists alive today. THANKS TOOL FOR CHANGING MY LIFE!
05-03-2007, 04:15 PM

hahah did anyone else practically shit their pants before vicarious? it sounded like the beginning of prison sex for a second...
Old 05-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

hahah did anyone else practically shit their pants before vicarious? it sounded like the beginning of prison sex for a second...
OFFLINE |  
Stratos's Avatar Stratos
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Yes, that one. That show was great, no doubt, especially due to the size. (I was on the floor.) But I'm the person who wants to just stand there and sing along and absorb the show and I hate when people start to mosh around me. (Even though I'm 6'5", 225.(I got that out of my system in the 90s.)) I typically just stand my ground in my little personal space area and some asshole will occasionally focus on me because I'm not playing their game (and probably because they can't push me.); which happened at that show. That pisses me off to no end.

I was originally disappointed with the all seating on the floor of last night's show but I quickly realized that it guaranteed me my space up front. Normally I'd of been standing at the back of the floor where there is plenty of room so I could do my thing and not have to worry about others. So the assigned seating was actually great. (call me old.) And since I dropped a grand on that Vegas show for a flight, hotel room, and a floor ticket, I just got much more bang for my buck from last night's show.

The band may have had more energy at the Vegas show but I've found their enthusiasm has dropped over the years anyways and it seems to be more of a "job" now than it used to be. But that's fine, I take it for what it is, and I don't really care what their energy level is. They always produce.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Yes, that one. That show was great, no doubt, especially due to the size. (I was on the floor.) But I'm the person who wants to just stand there and sing along and absorb the show and I hate when people start to mosh around me. (Even though I'm 6'5", 225.(I got that out of my system in the 90s.)) I typically just stand my ground in my little personal space area and some asshole will occasionally focus on me because I'm not playing their game (and probably because they can't push me.); which happened at that show. That pisses me off to no end.

I was originally disappointed with the all seating on the floor of last night's show but I quickly realized that it guaranteed me my space up front. Normally I'd of been standing at the back of the floor where there is plenty of room so I could do my thing and not have to worry about others. So the assigned seating was actually great. (call me old.) And since I dropped a grand on that Vegas show for a flight, hotel room, and a floor ticket, I just got much more bang for my buck from last night's show.

The band may have had more energy at the Vegas show but I've found their enthusiasm has dropped over the years anyways and it seems to be more of a "job" now than it used to be. But that's fine, I take it for what it is, and I don't really care what their energy level is. They always produce.
systemrider
05-03-2007, 05:39 PM

this was my 2nd tool show, the first being street scene last year which was total shit cause people were being dicks and pushing and moshing and almost killing people...

but this was way better, in a controlled environment and the guy with laser, its been said, but he should die. definetely an awesome show and i for sure shed a tear in 10,000 days not just because of the meaning of the song, but i could hear it in his voice, totally the greatest experience at a concert. lateralus topped the night, it was so powerful, the songs are so much better to hear loud and live.
aenima, oh my god, how wonderful that song is live, everyone singing, gives so much meaning,......its so hard to put into words the way TOOL makes me feel.....

i give so much respect to these guys, some of the most humble guys in the music industry ever, giving US a hand at the end and the group hug,

best band ever

Last edited by systemrider; 05-03-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

this was my 2nd tool show, the first being street scene last year which was total shit cause people were being dicks and pushing and moshing and almost killing people...

but this was way better, in a controlled environment and the guy with laser, its been said, but he should die. definetely an awesome show and i for sure shed a tear in 10,000 days not just because of the meaning of the song, but i could hear it in his voice, totally the greatest experience at a concert. lateralus topped the night, it was so powerful, the songs are so much better to hear loud and live.
aenima, oh my god, how wonderful that song is live, everyone singing, gives so much meaning,......its so hard to put into words the way TOOL makes me feel.....

i give so much respect to these guys, some of the most humble guys in the music industry ever, giving US a hand at the end and the group hug,

best band ever

Last edited by systemrider; 05-03-2007 at 05:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sonicanimal6
05-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortiviventi View Post
Yeah...gotta love that scraping.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortiviventi View Post
Yeah...gotta love that scraping.
OFFLINE |  
ThisHolyCrow's Avatar ThisHolyCrow
05-04-2007, 03:25 AM

This concert was pretty much the greatest fucking thing ever. That funky as fuck off time drum solo in the middle of Lateralus was by far the sickest shit i have ever seen in my entire life. The only thing that pisses me off is that they played Pushit at the second show and not the first. Fuck those rock star fucks for that.

Last edited by ThisHolyCrow; 05-04-2007 at 03:27 AM..
Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #48
On Probation

This concert was pretty much the greatest fucking thing ever. That funky as fuck off time drum solo in the middle of Lateralus was by far the sickest shit i have ever seen in my entire life. The only thing that pisses me off is that they played Pushit at the second show and not the first. Fuck those rock star fucks for that.

Last edited by ThisHolyCrow; 05-04-2007 at 03:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Lestat
05-04-2007, 10:38 AM

here are some pictures from the show, section AAA row 3 seat 21

http://i16.tinypic.com/6cdpili.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://i19.tinypic.com/535awc3.jpg
Old 05-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

here are some pictures from the show, section AAA row 3 seat 21

http://i16.tinypic.com/6cdpili.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://i19.tinypic.com/535awc3.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

OFFLINE |  
Elazarus
05-04-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Handles View Post

PS the guy who started the wave is my hero.

That guy was so determined, took a little while, but he got there. Security didn't seem to mind either, they actually found it quite funny.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Handles View Post

PS the guy who started the wave is my hero.

That guy was so determined, took a little while, but he got there. Security didn't seem to mind either, they actually found it quite funny.
OFFLINE |  
sarahethan
05-04-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
Great show, but I'm consistently disappointed with the sound quality at Cox. Aren't there any better large venues in San Diego? Everywhere else I've seen Tool has been better, with Red Rocks near Denver probably being the best. Oh well.

It was awesome to get Right in Two. Only saw them at Coachella since 10,000 Days was released, and they didn't play it there. A little disappointed that we didn't get The Pot or anything from Undertow / Opiate, though.
Bad sound??? The quality last night was perfect. The best I have heard in an arena. Where were your seats?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
Great show, but I'm consistently disappointed with the sound quality at Cox. Aren't there any better large venues in San Diego? Everywhere else I've seen Tool has been better, with Red Rocks near Denver probably being the best. Oh well.

It was awesome to get Right in Two. Only saw them at Coachella since 10,000 Days was released, and they didn't play it there. A little disappointed that we didn't get The Pot or anything from Undertow / Opiate, though.
Bad sound??? The quality last night was perfect. The best I have heard in an arena. Where were your seats?
OFFLINE |  
loafstone's Avatar loafstone
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent27 View Post
LOL, I also told my wife that this was the first time I've seen MJK clothed for an extended period of time. I was sure he would be in his speedos by the end.

Not that I was hoping, but he used to be able to be free in front of the audience, now he hides behind the aviators and the keyboard. It must be his 10k days persona.

Thanks for those who linked to pics, I had left my camera phone in the car.

Lestat, I was AAA 3 29 and 30. Those pics are pretty close to my view. Awesome show.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent27 View Post
LOL, I also told my wife that this was the first time I've seen MJK clothed for an extended period of time. I was sure he would be in his speedos by the end.

Not that I was hoping, but he used to be able to be free in front of the audience, now he hides behind the aviators and the keyboard. It must be his 10k days persona.

Thanks for those who linked to pics, I had left my camera phone in the car.

Lestat, I was AAA 3 29 and 30. Those pics are pretty close to my view. Awesome show.
OFFLINE |  
TOOLEYE
05-04-2007, 04:38 PM

I have one word for all the people out there selling their tix because of the set list...........SUCKERS...the only thing I could possibly think of as to why you would do that, is you've seen them too many times already. It did seam to me that they "found the sound" in the arena at Rosetta Stoned and it carried through to the second show.My wife is officially converted, she's already making plans for their hopeful return to northern cali. Just got home form a 9:00 am departure from SD. Long ass drive, I need a beer.Thanks TOOL.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #54
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I have one word for all the people out there selling their tix because of the set list...........SUCKERS...the only thing I could possibly think of as to why you would do that, is you've seen them too many times already. It did seam to me that they "found the sound" in the arena at Rosetta Stoned and it carried through to the second show.My wife is officially converted, she's already making plans for their hopeful return to northern cali. Just got home form a 9:00 am departure from SD. Long ass drive, I need a beer.Thanks TOOL.
05-04-2007, 06:20 PM

WHY IS NO ONE MENTIONING PUSH IT!?!?!?!

I have seen Tool many times and been a fan since the early 90's when my brother dumped Undertow on me... I was only 10, but I LOVED IT. Having driven down from LA, the whole ride down I begged the powers that be to pursuade the guys to play "Push It"

Did anyone else not here him say "We haven't played this one in awhile... Just think of us as a cover band." I felt so blessed to hear one of my favorite Tool songs, live and better than ever. Does anyone else share my sentiment? Why am I seeing so many setlists WITHOUT this song on them?!

Anyone, anyone?! Did you guys just show up to hear "Vicarious?"
Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

WHY IS NO ONE MENTIONING PUSH IT!?!?!?!

I have seen Tool many times and been a fan since the early 90's when my brother dumped Undertow on me... I was only 10, but I LOVED IT. Having driven down from LA, the whole ride down I begged the powers that be to pursuade the guys to play "Push It"

Did anyone else not here him say "We haven't played this one in awhile... Just think of us as a cover band." I felt so blessed to hear one of my favorite Tool songs, live and better than ever. Does anyone else share my sentiment? Why am I seeing so many setlists WITHOUT this song on them?!

Anyone, anyone?! Did you guys just show up to hear "Vicarious?"
OFFLINE |  
SuiGeneris41
05-04-2007, 06:22 PM

MY BAD... looks like they only played Push It, last night... Thursday night... for those of you that didn't get that little treat... =(

I'm sorry.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

MY BAD... looks like they only played Push It, last night... Thursday night... for those of you that didn't get that little treat... =(

I'm sorry.
OFFLINE |  
motherthirdeye's Avatar motherthirdeye
05-04-2007, 07:02 PM

OMG I was so taken by the music, the peacfull crowd and the serenity of the whole thing! being able to be taken to a whole new level by wings 2 was amazing! I looked around to find that others were on there with me! The whole night Maynard looke like he was having fun! and I actually got to see Adam Jones and he waved back at me!
Yeah the chain smokers all around me made the end physically unbearable but after hearing wings 2 I was good for the night
Old 05-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

OMG I was so taken by the music, the peacfull crowd and the serenity of the whole thing! being able to be taken to a whole new level by wings 2 was amazing! I looked around to find that others were on there with me! The whole night Maynard looke like he was having fun! and I actually got to see Adam Jones and he waved back at me!
Yeah the chain smokers all around me made the end physically unbearable but after hearing wings 2 I was good for the night
OFFLINE |  
Wrenne
05-11-2007, 07:04 PM

thought the show was great...maybe an A-. only have one complaint if i had to pick. maynard held back. he was on vocally only he cut long notes short and didnt scream...not like he can. at first i thought it was only to save up for the second half but nope. he just sang them and relied on good ol' reverb. he might have been feeling ill. who knows. but it was a great show.

Last edited by Wrenne; 05-11-2007 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: messed up
Old 05-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

thought the show was great...maybe an A-. only have one complaint if i had to pick. maynard held back. he was on vocally only he cut long notes short and didnt scream...not like he can. at first i thought it was only to save up for the second half but nope. he just sang them and relied on good ol' reverb. he might have been feeling ill. who knows. but it was a great show.

Last edited by Wrenne; 05-11-2007 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: messed up
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply