opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #81
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174
Re: 2006/09/23 - Toronto, ON - Molson Amphitheatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereandthere View Post
Um, sure, ok...its just in my books, a GLARING fuckup at the end of a song that up until that point had been absolutely amazing, IS a bad thing...by your logic that live music is about "fuck ups and all" then a band who fucks up a lot is truly awesome as long as they play with passion. I pointed out that Adam fucked up a few times and it diminished the quality of the concert slightly for me...and someone called me an asshole...so its fine to fuck up, but it makes the song worse...don't see how you can argue with that.

Perfect musicianship combined with passionate writing is what makes great art...so that rules out Malmsteen.

And yes, I have messed up guitar solos, many times, and every time I did it made the song worse.
dude, why dont you go wash your pussy? seriously.

some people get kind of caught in the whole concert experience with the art of the environment and the overall sound that maybe a few riffs is something we didnt notice. you arent a cuntbag for caring, thats up to you, but people are entitled to think you sound a bit Comic-Book-Guyish for caring about the minor details.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #82
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianspheric View Post
dude, why dont you go wash your pussy? seriously.

some people get kind of caught in the whole concert experience with the art of the environment and the overall sound that maybe a few riffs is something we didnt notice. you arent a cuntbag for caring, thats up to you, but people are entitled to think you sound a bit Comic-Book-Guyish for caring about the minor details.
but then...why post in a concert review forum in the first place? There are features that differentiate some tool shows from others. This particular one featured a sub-par performance from Adam...fine, i'm sure he's had some really killer shows where he played amazingly...this wasn't one of them...that's my review, and that makes me an asshole.

It seems to me this entire forum is fairly pointless if the breadth of the commentary is "great show, everything about it ruled," as if every show is the same.

In fact I bet there have been a few absolutely fucking horrifically bad tool shows...

Last edited by hereandthere; 09-24-2006 at 01:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #83
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your-Eulogy View Post
Disregard the last two pics??? Those were the only ones worth looking at! What the hell was that tree thing??

you get a C+ for effort though on the TOOL shots. Im mad at myself for not taking mine in It was VERY easy to slip a camera in there!
Heh, I had much better shots actually, but i went on a rampant deleting spree and recorded myself a video that I will not be distributing, so dont ask :P.

(Wings should not be cheapened by internet recordings)
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #84
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

This was my second Tool concert, first was at the Hummingbird Centre and I much preferred this one to the HC. I was sitting section 402, row G, and the sound where I was couldn't have been better. The rain was actually suiting for the concert, although it seemed ironic to me that it stopped just for 10,000 Days, instead of starting at that time. Heavier rain during Aenema was priceless.

Loved the setlist, and highlights for me were Danny's drum solo in the sped up section of Schism, Rosetta Stoned and Maynard speeding up the lyrics (it was funny), the atmosphere they created for 10,000 Days, and the energy for both Lateralus and Aenema.

As someone else mentioned, I noticed the white birds just as Wings was starting, and also thought they were doves, but then saw them again and realized that they were just seagulls that flew by some light. It was a cool feeling at the moment though!! I also noticed that white plane like thing at the beginning. I thought I was just seeing things so I'm glad that others saw it, even though I have no clue what it was.

"fuck L. Ron Hubbard, fuck all his clones... fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories..." x 3 was hilarious. I didn't get it the second time then by the third time I finally clued in. I rather enjoyed that.

I'm one of those who thought Maynard was really animated during the concert. Last concert his dance move was the pelvic thrust, this time it was more of a limbo bend. Also enjoyed the chicken like movements in Rosetta. Justin kept grabbing my attention as well, and Danny just insane and I was disappointed I didn't get a very good view of him.

Overall for me, it was a mindblowingly amazing concert.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #85
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Woah. Too much negativity in this thread. :) Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

Insanekat, where were your seats? We were probably around the same area. I probably noticed it more because I was sitting on the isle between 201 and 202, and I'm super short, so if anyone stands in front of me, I can't see.

Here is a link to the pics I took with my camera phone, I didn't have the balls to try and sneak my digital in.....I should have though! I took video right in front of the security guard's face. I'm still kicking myself.

I took 6 15-second videos during Aenema....I'll have them up soon.:)

Enjoy!!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...q4aMgo&notag=1
Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #86
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudostratified View Post
Those aren't frisbies. Signed drum heads like in my avatar. I caught that during the mini tour. It has Danny's seven-point star, the date of the show, a bunch of occult symbols, and his autograph.

Okay, I couldn't really tell. Thanks for the clarification.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 PM   #87
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereandthere View Post
but then...why post in a concert review forum in the first place? There are features that differentiate some tool shows from others. This particular one featured a sub-par performance from Adam...fine, i'm sure he's had some really killer shows where he played amazingly...this wasn't one of them...that's my review, and that makes me an asshole.

It seems to me this entire forum is fairly pointless if the breadth of the commentary is "great show, everything about it ruled," as if every show is the same.

In fact I bet there have been a few absolutely fucking horrifically bad tool shows...
Dude, you are missing the point. A negative review or viewpoint isnt....considered stupid, what people kind of gauge is stupid at you saying he was "sub-par" outright because of a few mistakes. If Adam really fucked something up, to the point where it stuck in a lot of our minds, and all us nerds rolled into TDN to mention "adam's fuck up" sure....then there is grounds to call it a sub-par night. But because he missed a riff or two, he's judged as sub-par? riiiiiiiiight, its just an awfully overtly picky kind of opinion. Hence you being like Comic-Book-Guy.

"Adam Jones.....worst performance ever"
"missed 6 riffs and timing was off by an average of .56 seconds on 5 different songs....worst perfornance ever, his imperfection and tactless performance ruined the show for me"

so once again, post whateber you want. I do. hey guys! rosetta stoned is a pile of shit, live or on disc, let be honest here. see....they dont care.

but really....in all due respect, go wash your pussy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #88
Level 2 - Poster

Anybody nab a shot of Maynard in the Leafs jersey?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #89
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 862

amazing show, dead center from the lawn was a great spot to see everything
Mondays - Thursdays 11:30pm
If Not??.....You're A Coward

Member Of The Colbert Nation Covenant.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #90
Level 2 - Poster

5th show, and it was so intense I passed out 3 times in a row and cracked my forehead off the pavement in the pit. Maybe it wasn't so much the music as it was the intense dehydration and lack of fresh air in the pit (security did not care one bit about cigs/pot from what I saw).

That's the beautiful thing about Tool. I can pass out 3 times and be unconscious for over a minute each time, get dragged while unconscious by my girlfriend and a security guard to the first aid station, and still only miss 1 song (Jambi) :p

A minor concussion was totally worth seeing Wings/10kd live. Great show!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #91
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
"Alrighty then.......Picture this if you will"

Show #9 for me. Drove four hours from the depts of hell (Deroit Michigan) to the cultural phenomenon theat is Toronto, Canada. What a city, I'm still in awe. BTW, Hockey Hall of fame........AMAZING!

Set is as stated:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Wings / 10,000 Days
Lateralis
Vicarious
Aenema

Which was dsiappointing to the core. It is the exact same setlist as the previous night in Auburn Hills at the Palace. I was hoping they would add something special for our friends to the north, being the only Canadian stop on the eastern side of the continent. It is also the second straight night, they failed to preform any tracks off Undertow or Opiate. Being a fan of the earlier material, it saddens me to think that Tool has forgotten what was the basis for their current success, raw, uncompromised rock music.

Maynard busted out in a Toronto Mapleleafs #24 jersey but had that off before the end of Stinkfist. Cowboy hat and spiked Mowhawk, and those silly ass cowboy boots.....SHIT KICKERS.

Danny....NO BASKETBALL JERSEY???? WTF???

Justin......Fucking Rockin.....Head bangin like never before Stomping during the end of Aenema was a thrill

Adam...looking like the undead, per-usual...Solo of Jambi is Frampton-esque and almost steals the show. Maynard dancing during it was quite the spectacle.

The show stopper in Toronto was the same in Detroit. LATERALIS. There is a whole different energy when they preform that song. Being that they played my fav (Roseta Stoned), understand that this is an unbias opinion. You actually feel it when they play Lateralis.

Both Toronto and Detroit had really great,TOOL type of crowds. Knowledgable and fiending for every note.

A few special thanks before I cut out,

Thanks to Rob, Jeff, And Brian (my brother), for a great time in Detroit and for laughing when I pulled over at Crooks and I-75 to throw up. Half a 5th of Citron on the way there mixed with the Capt when I got there...moral?? dont mix 'em. Beth can tell you I was a bit Tipsey.

Thanks to Sean for hitting the road with me to Toronto. It was his first TOOL show and he did great. LOL

Thanks to the couple at that HOT and.....i forget restaraunt in Toronto,we didnt park near the venue there and were very thankful for the tip.

Thanks to the guy and gal we sat next to in TORONTO....It's nice meeting new people and when it's there 1st Tool show, seeing their amazment makes it feel like i'm a TOOL-VIRGIN all over again.

And Finally...Thanks to the Asshole at the border....You know if you quit being so fucking chatty I wont have to wait 30 minutes to get back into my own fuckin country and at 3:30 in the morning I can be a real bastard. But I'm not reatarded so I didnt say a word to him. LOL I did want to go home!
A most interesting write "Your Eulogy". Concise and to the point with personal observations thrown in.

11/23/96 - tool @ the electric factory - philadelphia, PA
07/11/98 - tool @ the tweeter center - camden, NJ (ozzfest)
05/20/01 - tool @ the hammerstein ballroom - new york city
09/27/01 - tool @ the first union center - philadelphia, PA
08/12/02 - tool @ the sovereign bank arena - trenton, NJ
10/29/02 - tool @ the first union spectrum - philadelphia, PA
05/17/06 - tool @ the tower theater - philadelphia, Pa
09/28/06 - tool @ the tweeter center - camden, NJ
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

Anyone notice "Fuck all you junkies and Fuck your short memory" recited 3 times during AENEMA???

Or did you forget??
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #93
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
A most interesting write "Your Eulogy". Concise and to the point with personal observations thrown in.
Thank you very much, I've been a long time reader of this site (before 2000) but decided to make that my first post. I wanted it to be a good 1

Thanks again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #94
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
agree.

he had me at "the cultural phenomenon theat is Toronto, Canada. What a city, I'm still in awe."

why? because its true.
<---crazy proud torontonian anytime anyone comes here and loves the city

but yeah, his review was pretty spot on. Lateralus was the song of the night and it was a bit of a downer to hear nothing from the early years represented but dems da breaks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #95
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Anyone notice "Fuck all you junkies and Fuck your short memory" recited 3 times during AENEMA???
Or did you forget??
I was way too high by that point. Made even more amusing when he sang that and stared dead centre into the back of the floors, where I was standing. Maynard knows all and see's all, lol.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #96
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antcrusher View Post
Woah. Too much negativity in this thread. :) Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

Insanekat, where were your seats? We were probably around the same area. I probably noticed it more because I was sitting on the isle between 201 and 202, and I'm super short, so if anyone stands in front of me, I can't see.

Here is a link to the pics I took with my camera phone, I didn't have the balls to try and sneak my digital in.....I should have though! I took video right in front of the security guard's face. I'm still kicking myself.

I took 6 15-second videos during Aenema....I'll have them up soon.:)

Enjoy!!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...q4aMgo&notag=1
Nice pics and can't wait for the video ^^ Oh oops, I'm an idiot. I thought I was sitting in the 202 section but its actually the 302 section. I'm stupid/on crack, sorry about that. But we had the same problem lol, that I wasn't making up :P

Last edited by Insanekat; 09-24-2006 at 03:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #97
Banned.

Bincount™: 1159

Last edited by PhatFiend; 09-24-2006 at 07:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #98
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

no big deal! I'm sure most of the lower isles had that problem.

I'll get the videos up as soon as I change my cell phone plan in the morning. It's $5.00 per upload. I'm not paying $30.00 to upload some videos.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #99
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFiend View Post
I loved the arena and the sound but did anyone else have trouble getting around. I was VERY high by the end of the concert and with the slanted floors I could barely walk straight.
I love how everyone in this point is sharing how high they are, like what are you 12?
because in reality, I was higher than all you fairyclots.

Maynard, in fact, wrote that line in The Pot about me, in advance, based on a vision that he would see this one really high dude in concert in Toronto, amongst a sea of somewhat high dudes.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #100
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
Pics for sure....I neeeed them....dont' forget to send them to the TDL flickr site either....

Also...to whoever is saying that wings/10K days was only alright......"you musta been high"....
I'm sorry, I don't know what TDL flickr is.....I'll upload mine there if someone could give me a heads up. thanks :)
Old 09-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #101
Level 1 - Lurker

Long-time reader, first-time poster, etc. et al.

This was my 4th Tool experience and I must say that they age like a fine scotch: only getting better.

The immaculate, white floor and half-size vid screens were implemented beautifully. The first word that came to my mind when I saw the road crew sweeping the floor wearing only socks was, "sterile." The fact that the crew doned white, lab coats for the show gave the "hospital" motif an even stronger aura. It made the experience of Rosetta Stoned that much more haunting - I only wish they had played the Patient as well.

Tool did not disappoint, playing a good mix of fan-favourites and radio singles as well as testing the less devouts' patience with the renditions of Wings / 10 000 Days. It was simply amazing. The only regret I have is not having seen them on the Undertow and Aenima tours as I would have been too young - strange to think that I've been a fan for 10 years and they have album tours where I would have been too young to have seen.

I'd also just like to add that I saw Adam outside of the Chinese Lights Festival around the time that the gates first opened. He had his digi camera and seemed to be enjoying the cultural experience. I thought about saying hello but decided he probably didn't want his time off before the performance spoiled. At least, I know I'd want my space before any given night.

Cheers everyone. Last night was amazing and that's partly because of the excellent fan response. Here's to more good times with Tool!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

Epic show.

They sounded much better last night then they did when I say them at the Fox in May.

Even though it is not my favourite song, AEnema stole the show for me. Everybody just was rocking out.

And cudos to the Canadian security we have over here. My entire seating block, 203, was smoking, getting high, and taking pictures. It was great!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #103
Level 3 - Talker

what i really can't stand is when people post how adam jones made 2 mistakes and because of that people think he didn't have a good night. Jesus christ listen to led zeppelins or hendrixs live stuff and see how many mistakes they have made but people still call them amazing. Adam Jones is one of the best guitarists out there today. He doesn't do the fastest guitar riffs but the he is an amazing musician. It's just pretty pathetic though how people (not just in the forum) will pick out 2 or 3 mistakes from a fucken 2 hour set and say that "well uhh tool was pretty shitty today i heard 3 mistakes" (and i have seen people post that shit up) go see any other band and they will fuck up you probably wouldn't even notice the fuck up because the sound there is probably so bad and not like a tool concert where you could actually pick up a wrong note on his guitar.

Last edited by ALDARAIA; 09-24-2006 at 04:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #104
Level 4 - Thinker

yea if he were to play that riff with spot lights on him and lasers shooting everywhere and in front of 16,000 people he would still be an idiot for saying that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #105
Banned.

Bincount™: 1159

Quote:
I love how everyone in this point is sharing how high they are, like what are you 12?
because in reality, I was higher than all you fairyclots.

Maynard, in fact, wrote that line in The Pot about me, in advance, based on a vision that he would see this one really high dude in concert in Toronto, amongst a sea of somewhat high dudes.
Well, with that description you were clearly way more high than me. I will hang my head in shame.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #106
Level 1 - Lurker

Fourth show and enjoyed it just as much as previous experiences. was in 203, 4 rows from the floor and had a great view of everything, loved the fact that Maynard came out in the Leaf Jersey with the #24 on the back and KEENAN as the name. The lighters were amazing to see all of them up at once and then the final three songs were a perfect way to end the show, Lateralus was as good as any previous time I have seen it performed and seemed to be the peak of their performance last night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #107
Level 2 - Poster

Oh fuck it, I'll just upload it. Here guys. Re-live the experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeHFzDmi8c

(My memory ran out at the end :( )
Old 09-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #108
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

That's awesome. Thanks a lot.

Does anyone know which songs Isis played? I know they did So Die We, Dulcinea, and Holy Tears, but wasn't there another one? I can't remember.
Stillness breathes apex supreme - I walk toward the mountain.

Last edited by Satival Tributary; 09-24-2006 at 08:29 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #109
Level 3 - Talker

Drove all the way from Sarnia. Got there kinda early so I went for a drive downtown. Made it back to the Molson Amplitheater and traded our tickets and some extra cash to get closer. Ended up in section 305 row H in the middle which was perfect for smoking joints. It was my first time at the MA and when we got there I thought it was a good setup until I had to wait in line for the bathroom before Tool came on. Also it took way to long after the concert to clear out. I've been to DTE (Pine Knob) in Clarkston MI many times this year and I think I like it slightly better. Anyway Tool was awesome and the sound was great. My second time seeing Tool, the other time being this year at the Fox Theater in Detroit. Maynard talked less this time around but the sound and the visuals added to the whole experience. Thought the crowd coulda been louder. Not sure if more people in Canada are stoned and quieter but at Detroit shows people are drunker and definitely louder. Everyone around me seemed to be into the show except a couple women in front of me started talking during Wings. I still enjoyed the entire concert and I think it was one of the top concerts of the year. My only regrets are not seeing them on previous tours.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #110
Level 10 - Vehement

So where are the pics folks?
I found one pretty cool picture of the sea of lighters, but I'd love to see more.
can anyone point me in the right direction?

well its 1am, I've been awake since Saturday at 2pm. The Tool weekend of fun and debauchary is now at an end, time to sleep.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #111
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1007

Quote:
Dude, you are missing the point. A negative review or viewpoint isnt....considered stupid, what people kind of gauge is stupid at you saying he was "sub-par" outright because of a few mistakes. If Adam really fucked something up, to the point where it stuck in a lot of our minds, and all us nerds rolled into TDN to mention "adam's fuck up" sure....then there is grounds to call it a sub-par night. But because he missed a riff or two, he's judged as sub-par? riiiiiiiiight, its just an awfully overtly picky kind of opinion. Hence you being like Comic-Book-Guy.

"Adam Jones.....worst performance ever"
"missed 6 riffs and timing was off by an average of .56 seconds on 5 different songs....worst perfornance ever, his imperfection and tactless performance ruined the show for me"

so once again, post whateber you want. I do. hey guys! rosetta stoned is a pile of shit, live or on disc, let be honest here. see....they dont care.

but really....in all due respect, go wash your pussy.

But, I just meant sub-par...par as in being the other times I've seen him play....I don't see how parodying my review in the style of a cartoon character is supposed to mean anything.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 AM   #112
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

My review…

Pretty much everything I would cover has been covered above, so I’ll try to keep it short:

Highlights: Rosetta Stoned has easily become my favorite track on the new album, Lateralus bores me a bit (overplayed) but I thought it was great Saturday night, 46&2 had me by the balls.

Lowlights: Wings & 10,000 days (just don’t think either come across very well live and I felt the energy leave the pit during the 13 (or whatever) minutes. Just MHO so the first assclown to lash out at me for this can eat a bowl of dick up.

Other shit:

Once again, I get my long, sensitive fingers on one of Danny’s flung drum heads but it’s not to be. At the HBC the motherfucker beside me (I think he posted in this thread) got it, and at the Amp it was right behind me. Some 4’ tall security guy picked it up, and I’m saying to him “I’ve got a hundred bucks right now if you hand me that” and doesn’t the little Mayan motherfucker just hurl it in to the air. Fucker.

I was in the pit, at the back, right in front of Justin and he was more energetic than I have ever seen him.

It’s Monday morning and my back and neck still hurt. I swear to Christ that I was the only fucking person within 20 feet of me that was in to it. I’m not interested in moshing, but Jebus – I was a convulsing retard in a sea of statues. I think I scared my girlfriend a bit but it’s been 6 years so WTF is she gonna do? Leave me because Tool triggers some spastic groove reflex in my body?

Yes, a few fuck ups, but I’ve yet to see a Tool show that was fuck-up free. I could care less if Adam blew a note or Maynard butchered the lyrics. Whatever.

Hope all of the out of town folks had a safe and enjoyable stay in Toronto, and had a chance to see more than just the Molson Amp.

Oh, yeah, this gave me a rash: GF and I get there, we’re heading to our seats and some ticket puncher at the pit entrance isn’t letting ppl in. I’m like “WTF?” and find out they are out of wristbands. I’m like “I don’t give a fuck. Here’s my ticket, let me in” and a giant, giant security guard comes over and just gives me the creepiest steroid-fuelled bug-eyed stare ever. Oooohhhh Kaaaaaaay…I’ll wait, giant man. Then the band comes out and starts the show. Well now I’m losing it, and there are dozens of people behind me wondering WTF. After about 2 or 3 minutes, they get more stupid wrist bands and slowly, one by one, let us in. What a joke. How the fuck do you run out of them? Why the hell do we even need them? Ugh. Not a good way to start the show.

Anyhow, long story short – great show. Think I might have liked the H-bird more though. Oh, and the lasers? Meh. They were fine, but some guy in a previous thread was all “I’ve seen Floyd and have been to hundreds of shows over the years but I’ve never seen anything like that”. To him, I say “Bullshit!” they OK, but there was nothing even remotely mind-blowing about the light show. I thought the visuals on the Lateralus tour were way, way better.

Great show. Thank you, Tool.

Last edited by Bino; 09-25-2006 at 05:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 AM   #113
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Isis also played Wrists of Kings...or was it In rivers, not in Drops. One or the other.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #114
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antcrusher View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know what TDL flickr is.....I'll upload mine there if someone could give me a heads up. thanks :)
Its the flickr site dedicated to the current tour:

<ahref="http://www.flickr.com/groups/toolshed/"></a>

Anything you've got would be awesome...there are varying degrees of quality on there from terrible cell phone shots to amazing crisp ones...

-David Cross
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #115
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

oops my link didn't work sorry.....

-David Cross
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:03 AM   #116
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallima View Post
Anybody nab a shot of Maynard in the Leafs jersey?
Here is the Toronto Sun Review... they gave it 3.5 / 5 stars

and yes it has a small photo of Maynard in the Leafs jersey

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/09/25/1893682.html
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:04 AM   #117
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

here's the article

Live Review: Tool in Toronto

Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto - Sept. 23, 2006

By SHERRI WOOD -- Toronto Sun

"In art, all who have done something other than their predecessors have merited the epithet of revolutionary; and it is they alone who are masters."
-- Paul Gauguin

TORONTO - Revolutionary might be stretching it, but since Tool sounds like nothing other than Tool, it's probably safe to say Maynard James Keenan et al are masters at what they do.

But what exactly is it that they do?

Sure, they're most often categorized as some denomination of metal -- art-metal, prog-metal, math-metal or whatever the other metal qualifier-of-the-day happens to be.

But, as evidenced by their performance Saturday night at the Molson Amphitheatre, the L.A. quartet, rounded out by guitarist Adam Jones, bassist Justin Chancellor and drummer Danny Carey, are adept at much more than just metal.

Complex, polyrhythmic, proggy interludes would give way to twangy guitar solos, that would in turn give way to trippy psychedelic rock jams.

They really are uncategorizeable. Yet, there's no denying a distinct Tool sound.

Awash in blue and green light, a writhing, shirtless Keenan said little, but sang with his usual primal strength.

Accompanied by various post-apocalyptic, psychedelic and just plain weird video projections, the group played a diverse set, spanning their 16-year catalogue, including selections from their latest album, 10,000 Days.

Highlights included Stinkfist, Schism and the ode to Jung, Forty Six & 2.

While they're often accused of pretentiousness, it doesn't really seem fitting. Granted, they do wander into self-indulgence (ahem, we could do without the 11-minute avant-garde jam session) and they definitely harbour gimmicky tendencies, but it shouldn't be misconstrued as pretentiousness. There's nothing snobby about their rock.

Just ask the 16,000 screaming, drenched fans. Despite the rain, the Amphitheatre's lawn and seats were to capacity. If there's one thing about Tool fans, it's that they're insanely loyal. One guy even watched the show through the stereoscopic glasses that came with the new album.

Ok, so maybe Tool fans are weird as well as loyal.

But they know a good show when they see it -- even through stereoscopic lenses.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #118
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 51

I want to meet the fucker who watched the show through stereoscopic lenses. That's fucking awesome!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 AM   #119
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I don't know what to say.... other than it was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my life. Unreal...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #120
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Just getting a chance to write about the show now...

All in all it was a great show for the money. I was a little disappointed at the volume from the lawn, but it was nice to have some room to move around rather than be standing in 1 spot all night long.

Isis was pretty lackluster - we couldn't even hear the vocals 95% of the time. Their drummer is pretty sweet though.

The set list was pretty predictable as well, which was kind of disappointing. It would have been nice to get an 'obscure' track or 2 into the mix. Although it was nice to witness WFM/TTD live, I personally would have traded them in for something heavier... maybe Eulogy, Opiate/Flood, The Grudge, etc.

Maynard did well considering his illness, but I've noticed that he has lost a lot of his power over the years. He gets a lot of help from his keyboard for harmonies (during Schism for example) and for delay (Vicariously I...). He sounded good, but he certainly didn't blow my socks off. He was more active than he was at the Hummingbird, but I really miss the good ol' days when he'd get all possessed, staring out through the crowd, and gyrate in that herky-jerky Maynard way.

Danny, on the other hand, is a bloody monster. He was shot-for-shot with the album versions, which, considering the complexity of songs like Rosetta Stoned, is mind-boggling. His gong was MORE than loud enough, especially when he hammered it during Lateralus - almost blew my eardrums on the lawn! I'll pay to see that guy play any day.

Adam was Adam. I noticed that he missed a few notes here and there but he recovered nicely for the most part. He certainly isn't Mr. Charisma, that's for sure. Still a stellar performance.

Justin was the stand-out performer in my opinion. As the show went on he became more and more animated; even sitting down during Wings/10K Days. During Aenema he was retarded (in a good way)!!! Him leading the sea of lighters was also very cool. The view from the very back was pretty breath-taking, as almost every-other person had something lit.

It was kind of a shock to see Maynard come out wearing the Leafs jersey (and promptly remove it). As always, he was pretty funny. I don't know who Carol is but she certainly got her moment in the spot light. I enjoyed that he said "We dare you to go home." right before they went into the "encore". "Cleveland was louder and we haven't even played there yet!" was hilarious, and got the crowd screaming at full volume. My head still hurts from that!

As for the venue itself, the rain was scattered and it really didn't start to come down until right when the show ended. The lasers were pretty neat, but I kept expecting them to drop the huge black curtain at the back. Instead they did some kind of light-bright Alex Gray imitation "net of being". The wind was carrying the fog away before it could have it's full effect, but it was still pretty cool. The birds (seagulls/pigeons) were also pretty cool considering their timing. A friend of mine that's been to TMA a few times says they're always around. It was just really cool how they were illuminated by the lighting and almost looked like doves.

$10.75 beers and $47.00 t-shirts. 'Nuff said.

There were only a few drunkin' jerk-offs moving throughout the lawn that we encountered. Typical for any show I guess. Our section was pretty good, although a bit lifeless. Didn't stop me from rockin out.

In summary, nothing really unexpected (extended double-time bridge in Schism and added bridge to Stinkfist included... they ALWAYS do that now...) and I would have liked to have been much closer... like maybe in the 200s where I'd go deaf from the volume. It was better than the Hummingbird but didn't compare to Hamilton in 2002.

A great time, none-the-less!! Thanks to everyone that gave them a warm reception and thanks to the band for supplying music with substance! See ya on the next lap!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: