opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 1. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 07-25-2005, 02:22 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 415
Truly Amazing

Wow.....Holy fucking shit.....ok somebody restrain me....this song, this masterpiece, this work of art, the sounds, the music, the lyrics, even the feedback from Adams guitar is truly just fucking unbelievably amazing. While liking the original I feel this version blows anything that came before and will come after.

I'm in awe, the sounds, those fucking sounds, alien like sounds that send massive amounts of chills through my spine, the louder you play it the better it sounds. Just thinking of this song now gives me goosebumps, did I mention those sounds? amazing....brillant...alien...fresh...inspiring.

Although I've only had TE(live) for about 2 months there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not humming away to Justin's bass(which oddly enough sounds like the T2 theme) or screaming out loud Maynard's words without fear of being ridiculed by my neighbors(fuck em, fuck everyone)

I don't give a fuck about what this song means, although it's pretty obvious, it's the musicianship, the collaboration, the journey....un.....fuckin....believeable.

Thank you Tool.

Last edited by ARMZ; 07-25-2005 at 02:24 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1150
Re: Truly Amazing

Haven't heard it live yet, but its a really moving piece (even on the album)
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

My favortite part is the "SO GLAD TO SEE YOU!!! I'VE MISSED YOU SOOOO MUCH!" gives me chills down my spine everytime i hear it.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1150

Yeah, thats def'n one of the song highlights. That whole verse and its scattered variations are great.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 1567

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero8823
My favortite part is the "SO GLAD TO SEE YOU!!! I'VE MISSED YOU SOOOO MUCH!" gives me chills down my spine everytime i hear it.
I agree... and this part...

" Dreaming of that face again. It's bright and blue and shimmering. Grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes."

When he sings "wild eyes" I almost bust in my pants.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

From that bass drum interation of the "prying open my third eye" theme onward (including especially the "so glad to see you, i've missed you so much) is so unbelievably good.

I'm going to go listen to that right now.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #7
On Probation

I love this... I can never find people who are as into tool as I am. Everybody always just says "All you listen to is Tool" You guys are truly human... or maybe aliens. I guess it depends on how you look at things.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Damn, I hear the same shit from my girlfriend. I have countless CD's and all that's every in my CD player is Tool, APC, Lopro, or Ultraspank. Mainly Tool though. It's just that, in my eyes, no singer/song writer compares to Maynard. Everytime I listen he takes me on a journey inside of my mind. It's like it's new every time I play it.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 31

seriously... tool is the shit
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMZ
Wow.....Holy fucking shit.....ok somebody restrain me....this song, this masterpiece, this work of art, the sounds, the music, the lyrics, even the feedback from Adams guitar is truly just fucking unbelievably amazing. While liking the original I feel this version blows anything that came before and will come after.

I'm in awe, the sounds, those fucking sounds, alien like sounds that send massive amounts of chills through my spine, the louder you play it the better it sounds. Just thinking of this song now gives me goosebumps, did I mention those sounds? amazing....brillant...alien...fresh...inspiring.

Although I've only had TE(live) for about 2 months there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not humming away to Justin's bass(which oddly enough sounds like the T2 theme) or screaming out loud Maynard's words without fear of being ridiculed by my neighbors(fuck em, fuck everyone)

I don't give a fuck about what this song means, although it's pretty obvious, it's the musicianship, the collaboration, the journey....un.....fuckin....believeable.

Thank you Tool.

I agree x1000000000000000000001300393093093009000380889999 999
Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
On Probation

I just got salival finally today... been trying to get it for so long. It is fucking unbelievable. Third eye and that insane version of Pushit were worth te $75 I spent. Wow... It sent shivers down my spine too buddy.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMZ

Thank you Tool.
It's the same fucking thing.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
It's the same fucking thing.
What? The version from salival has a lot of small differences from the version from the album version of the song.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
Banned.

Not really anything that seperates it or makes it dominant to the original. But if you say so.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Not really anything that seperates it or makes it dominant to the original. But if you say so.
I strongly prefer the salival version to the album version. So much so that I don't even listen to the album version anymore.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
Banned.

Same here, I mean the Salival version has a better quality I guess, and it's louder, and the intro is cooler because the drums just because of the high quliaty live-feel.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Same here, I mean the Salival version has a better quality I guess, and it's louder, and the intro is cooler.
..what? Didn't you just say that there was nothing that seperates the salival version from the album version?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #18
Banned.

GEEZ there's nothing to me that really makes a huge difference between the two. It just sounds a little better. It's not like, i dunno, "amazing", since the original is practically the same.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

I think the small differences make it far superior to the original version.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #20
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I don't listen to the studio version anymore as well.

Maynard's singing comes across more aggressive, there's more feel to it than the studio version and there's more feel to it cause it's live.

There's a key part to it as well, like a reawakening that's not in the studio version, at about 10:50 there's those sounds that truly vibrate through your soul.

Indeed it is the same song but revamped and juiced up, all I can say is that I really felt this song for the first time and it gave me a new found respect for Tool as musicians.

A lot of bands sound good on CD but most sound shit live, Tool on the other hand sound better live and I'm sure the live DVD when it comes will prove it to be.

Last edited by ARMZ; 11-14-2005 at 05:21 PM..
Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #21
Banned.

yeah, tool seem to keep improving upon their songs once they're released.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

I love the Timothy Leary samples, much prefer those to the Bill Hicks ones (although Hicks is a major mental babe too!)

Yeah. Powerful fucking song.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

remember the first time you heard this song. the first time you discovered it. i remember my first listen. every second my jaw was wide open, heart pumping, shivers down the spine, etc. i was expecting the same third eye, just live. third eye live, to me, is a totally different song and a new experience all together.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #24
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Well it seems that Timothy Leary has some what of a connection to the band. As it turns out Adam is married to Camella, they married in 99 and the rest follows like this.....

A big turning point in Camella’s life was having been given the chance to work for Timothy Leary. She had the opportunity to design visuals for his lectures with Chris Graves and Joey Cavella as a part of RetinaLogic. “Timothy Leary welcomed me into a black sheep family, and I watched him live fearlessly in his joy. Meeting my husband was another big turning point. Having a best friend in this life, I feel really lucky. He showed me true success is following your heart and not your ambition.”

Although Leary passed in 96 there is still a connection, I'm not sure how long Adam and Camella were together before the 99 marriage so I can't really say if he had direct contact with the 4.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Third Eye Live is a phenonmenol out break and I can't see why anyone, anyone would hate it..........
Old 02-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #26
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

The first time I heard this song it totally blew me away!! I had to listen a few more times just to digest it fully. This incredible song is what Tool is all about.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye13
The first time I heard this song it totally blew me away!! I had to listen a few more times just to digest it fully. This incredible song is what Tool is all about.
I agree completely.....
Old 03-15-2006, 03:45 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Salival Third eye > Ænima Third eye
Old 04-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #29
Banned.

I have seen them perform Third Eye live, three times...truly incredible, and times 1,000 live.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:13 AM   #30
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisDJ
I have seen them perform Third Eye live, three times...truly incredible, and times 1,000 live.
*jealous* :)
that's the one song i hope for to return in the live set. I have seen them four times so far hope to see them four more times this summer. Third Eye just at one of them will do. :)
Old 04-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

I rarely listen to the album version now, and this live version is the top most played song on my computer.
I agree that Maynard's vocals on the live version are so more agressive and have more feeling behind them.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Same here, I mean the Salival version has a better quality I guess, and it's louder, and the intro is cooler because the drums just because of the high quliaty live-feel.
Totally agree. Slower but it feels like they are pouring everything they have into it. A total release.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

People have said that he sounds more agressive and I totally agree; especially when he says "prying open my third eye!". At the "eye" he ends faster and it adds a level of coolness that the album version can't match.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

The first time I heard it live, I was on the 'shroom, completely engrossed in the music, and then Maynard screams, "BRIAN OPEN MY THIRD EYE".

I had no idea he knew me?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: