opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 2. Hush
User Name
Password
Old 07-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 810
Maynard's Lyrical Subtleties

(Note to reader: please forget everything you assume you know about this song, and just read what I have to say. Also shoutouts to threedeviations for his post about "Four Degrees" which inspired this)

Maynard is a lyrical genius. Sort of. Written on paper, his lyrics are just good. What makes them great is context. Maynard has an annate ability to "talk out both sides of his mouth". Honestly, how many lyricists can insult the listener, but by the end of the cd, the listener feels enlightened. Maynard can write a song that goes in two different directions of meaning, often baiting the listener to go with the more obvious meaning when hes going the other way. Its not unlike Muhammed Ali's "rope-a-dope". Don't believe me? Think of songs like "stinkfist" and "Four Degrees". But there are many, many other songs that he uses this ability, and a striking example of this is "Hush".

"Hush" is a song that upon watching the video and hearing the song, one automatically assumes its anti-censorship. And don't get me wrong, I know Tool does not stand for censorship. But you miss the subtlety of what maynard is actually saying

This is whats posted by Maynard:

I can't say what I want to,
even if I'm not serious.
Things like....
"Fuck yourself,
kill yourself,
you piece of shit."

People tell me what to say,
what to think ,
and what to play.

I say...
"Go fuck yourself,
you piece of shit.
Why don't you go kill yourself?"

Just kidding.

But listen to the song. During the second time he sings the chorus, he replaces "even if im not serious" with "even if im just kidding". Now read the last line of the song, "Just Kidding". Think about that. He cant say what he wants to, even if hes just kidding. Then he tells you hes kidding. It renders everything he has just said null and void. He cant tell the truth when hes kidding. So he just created a paradox, if you will.

So whats the point of this song, if he completely contradicts himself? Well, my theory as to the meaning of the song deals with its context. The band released this song and CD in 1992. What marked the early '90s? Grunge. More specifically bands raging against corporations, while getting paid to do so. Commercial Rebellion, if you will. That was the music scene while Tool was trying to come out. To get heard you had to conform in some way. Tool was trying to make money and become a band, but they are themselves first and foremost. So what better way for a bunch of assholes (an undesputable characteristic of the band) to make money then to try to blend in with pop music, and make fun of it at the same time? All these grunge kids saying "fuck the corporate world" would bang their heads to this song, while the band laughs at them. Genius, really.

I know some of you still don't believe me, so I show you the video as proof. Look at it. The whole band is naked in front of the camera, save for the "parental advisory" signs over their genitalia. They all have shit-eating grins on their faces, with cum dripping out of their mouths. Now think about what that reminds you of. Think of maynard calling himself a "Hooker with a Penis". After sucking off "the man" he gets in front of a camera and sings a song that bitches about the man, and makes money off it. This song slams both the record industry, and the bands who bitch about greedy coporations. You cant "rage against the machine" if your getting paid by "the machine" to do so. And that my friends is the point of this song. Hes saying "Hush" to these so-called "rebels".

Seriously. The band is called Tool. The lead singer is one of the biggest assholes in recording history. Fans wear T-Shirts that say "Tool" across them, understand that irony. Maynard says "All you know about me is what I sold you dumbfuck, I sold out long before you'd ever even heard my name/I sold my soul to make a record, dipshit, and you bought one". Tool said on their debut CD, they were trying to sound like other bands of the time(I know I read this somewhere, I just forget where, but I know its true). And, this was the first single. This is more than just a possibility, this is what the song is about.

THINK ABOUT IT

Last edited by bluefire; 07-06-2005 at 02:18 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110
Re: Maynard's Lyrical Subtleties

get ready to get bashed for overanalyzing like no other

but i couldnt agree more. it makes a lot of sense, and fits perfectly, and weird enough i am wearing a tool shirt.

did you come up with this idea or did you hear it somewhere? cause, i think, that has to be one of the coolest ideas from a tool song. relating to what its about. good job :)
Old 07-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
frat boy extraordinaire

Bincount™: 6242

that was a rant
Old 07-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1708

That does make sense, but then again, Maynard (i think), has said he has great respect for the band rage against the machine (which is one of the bands you're talking about.) They've gone on tour with them, and maynard sang on "know your enemy." Although that is a very good possibilty, good job with the interpretation.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
On Probation

im not saying they were dissing any one band, i was just theorizing as to the point of the song. The last line of the song always bothered me, then one day while i was working out and listening to this song on my ipod, and it hit me. It does sound pretty overanalyzed, doesn't it? I dunno, the post just flowed pretty quickly, it only took like 5-10 minutes to write.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Good job, blue.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

great job actually.
it makes alot of sense.
it was well thought out.

Last edited by lateralus freak; 07-30-2005 at 09:09 PM..
Old 09-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

Impressed...and kudos to Bluefire for the great post! =)
I am too connected to you
Slip away, fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me.
-----------------------------------
Old 09-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 88

I'm not trying to disprove your theory, and I'm not even going to tell whether I agree or not, but here's something to think about.

even if I'm not serious.
Things like....
"Fuck yourself,
kill yourself,
you piece of shit."

Ok, so he can't say what he wants, but he tells you what he wants to say. Ok, makes enough sense, right? He's saying what he wants to by telling you what he can't. That's one possibility. Another is that he is expressing the fact that he has limitations imposed on him by someone.

what to think ,
and what to play.

Not only does he have limitations, but he has guidelines as well and the entire creative process is dictated by someone else.

I say...
"Go fuck yourself,
you piece of shit.

Just kidding.

Here's his retort to those people that have control over him, or it could just be that he is reiterating what he said in the first line. "This IS what I say, even if I'm not allowed to." Either way, the "Just kidding" that follows seems to be referring to this part. That is a literal interpretation, but that's what it looks when you read it when it's written down.

And yeah, I know he actually said "even if I'm just kidding" in the last part, but that is really close to the same as "even if I'm not serious."
Old 09-10-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfoot
I'm not trying to disprove your theory, and I'm not even going to tell whether I agree or not, but here's something to think about.

even if I'm not serious.
Things like....
"Fuck yourself,
kill yourself,
you piece of shit."

Ok, so he can't say what he wants, but he tells you what he wants to say. Ok, makes enough sense, right? He's saying what he wants to by telling you what he can't. That's one possibility. Another is that he is expressing the fact that he has limitations imposed on him by someone.

what to think ,
and what to play.

Not only does he have limitations, but he has guidelines as well and the entire creative process is dictated by someone else.

I say...
"Go fuck yourself,
you piece of shit.

Just kidding.

Here's his retort to those people that have control over him, or it could just be that he is reiterating what he said in the first line. "This IS what I say, even if I'm not allowed to." Either way, the "Just kidding" that follows seems to be referring to this part. That is a literal interpretation, but that's what it looks when you read it when it's written down.

And yeah, I know he actually said "even if I'm just kidding" in the last part, but that is really close to the same as "even if I'm not serious."
thats pretty much it imo its obviously about how maynard hates censorship, even if he isnt serious about what he is saying, like if its a joke, who cares what he is saying..
Old 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
On Probation

Goldfoot - yeah, maybe. I just don't see how that relates to the video.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:32 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefire
Goldfoot - yeah, maybe. I just don't see how that relates to the video.
This isn't the video thread, and a song and video don't have to be from the same vision.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:24 AM   #13
On Probation

its from their 3rd album, but thats not the point. The point was I was establishing Maynard's general feelings toward the music industry, using words from his own mouth. Just a way to back up a point I was making.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Your summary about the song is good but I have to point out that: "All you know about me.....you bought one" is not from their debut CD, it`s from their second CD.
Quote:
Maynard says "All you know about me is what I sold you dumbfuck, I sold out long before you'd ever even heard my name/I sold my soul to make a record, dipshit, and you bought one".
SEPERATE SENTENCE:

Quote:
Tool said on their debut CD, they were trying to sound like other bands of the time(I know I read this somewhere, I just forget where, but I know its true).
Old 09-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
On Probation

Bincount™: 1567

BINGO!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #16
On Probation

Bincount™: 152

Good points. I think there's still one important perspective missing, and that's your OWN when you're hearing this. Think about the "even" subtleties and the "just kidding" that Maynard leaves you with...

"Go fuck yourself,
you piece of shit.

"Why don't I go kill myself? am I a piece of shit??
Hey fuck YOU! I don't want someone telling me what to think, what to play!"etc. - behold, the common reaction.
Arrogantly JUSTIFIED.

Agree with the other paradoxes also. The video offers some different thoughts again.

Last edited by Ambival; 09-20-2006 at 01:30 AM..
Old 10-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #17
On Probation

^sorry about that.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3208

Yeah, that was an impressive interpretation. Never crossed my mind... But still, Tool songs tend to be impressively pseudo-meaningful. Maynard probably wants you to be thinking this hard about something as simple as "censorship is wrong."
Old 10-29-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

really good thought, but i'm not sure i buy it. i think it's alot more straight forward then that. the record labels were i'm sure trying to tell him what direction they should go with their music. the video supports the anti censorship message by blatanty showing things that would cause a censor to have a heart attack.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

The man is just kidding...he says so...
give it a rest...LOL...i'm just kidding.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

I understand and mostly agree with what the original poster is saying but I disagree with the meaning of the last "just kidding" at the end of the song. I interpret this "just kidding" as "all that shit that I just roared about and made a big noise over...I really don't give a fuck". He's not just kidding about the lyrical content on paper - he's kidding about being all that pissed off about it too, letting us know that it's just a song. Great post though. Oh one more thing, that's not supposed to be load coming out of their mouths, just foam as in an angry rabid dog. As if they are saying, "Look at how angry we are, we're foaming at the mouth... oh not really...just kidding".
Old 12-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #22
On Probation

Let me try and rearticualte some of these thoughts for one second..

There are noticable vocal subtleties in the dropping vocal scales, when you are listening to this song (I'm not sure of the technical name of the downward vocal progression). It suggests a breakdown in communication between receivers. When words are falling on deaf ears, something as serious as death of will and freedom of speech and the right to hear what is actually being said in situations, one's own right to kill.. is not acknowledged as importance.

It reminds me of early RATM Wake Up somewhat.. It is a wake up call.

Last edited by Ambival; 12-08-2006 at 10:50 PM..
Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 AM   #23
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

for those visual people....
Code:
1	fuck you!

2	i can't say what i want to even if i'm not serious

4	things like: "fuck yourself" "go fuck yourself"
	"you piece of shit, why don't you just go kill yourself?"

3	i can't say what i want to even if i'm just kidding

5	people tell me what to say what to think and what to play

6	just kidding

1	fuck you!
6	just kidding

5-------------------5
		4---------------4-----------4
	                3---------------3
	    2-------2---------------2
	a   b	c   d	e   f	g   h	i   j	k   l
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #24
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

oh, c'mon. that didn't help anyone? there's a definite method to his structure (especially apparent early on), couldn't we try and understand it? ...if only to imitate? it'll only add to the overall experience, i'm sure of it.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 53

well done by bluepost. I always thought that there was more to this song than meets the ear. Tool songs are rarely so one-dimensional as to simply state a dislike of anti-censorship.

But I'll still proudly display my Tool shirt.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #26
...to the oceans of my platitudes...

Bincount™: 2583

I agree entirely- he says that he can't say "go fuck yourself," but he obviously can because he is. At the same time, they don't like censorship, so I think there was a definite intended double meaning there.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:56 AM   #27
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 30

Bluefire is adam jones
Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #28
On Probation

I hated what I wrote here, for the record. I doubt anyone here is really new to early Tool. But it is good insight(s), good connotations!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

[

Seriously. The band is called Tool. The lead singer is one of the biggest assholes in recording history. Fans wear T-Shirts that say "Tool" across them, understand that irony. Maynard says "All you know about me is what I sold you dumbfuck, I sold out long before you'd ever even heard my name/I sold my soul to make a record, dipshit, and you bought one". Tool said on their debut CD, they were trying to sound like other bands of the time(I know I read this somewhere, I just forget where, but I know its true). And, this was the first single. This is more than just a possibility, this is what the song is about.

THINK ABOUT IT[/QUOTE]

the bands called tool because it was toolshed, i dont believe they changed it because he wants you to wear the word"tool" on your chest...but the hooker w\ a penis reference is the most obvious of all , sorry.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Tool is like a malfunctioning robot that keeps contradicting itself bringing it closer to self destruction...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #31
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Tool is like a malfunctioning robot that keeps contradicting itself bringing it closer to self destruction...
Ghost: Is it Tool or their fans?

To the guy/girl that started this thread:

My perception on the delineation of what you have come to understand about this song is completely different. That doesn't make me right; I think it is important to acknowledge the meanings that speak loud and true to you.
I can personally relate to working out to Tool and having enlightening moments about some of their songs. So I understand that whatever it was that you came to recollect meant a lot to you at that very moment, and what matters most is that you learn something from it and integrated it into your consciousness.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Take a look at the lyrcis posted to this site by Maynard himself:

even if I'm not serious.
Things like....
"Fuck yourself,
kill yourself,
you piece of shit."

what to think ,
and what to play.

I say...
"Go fuck yourself,
you piece of shit.

Just kidding.

Maybe Maynard is not talking about censorship, but trying to say that he is being forced to say things like "Fuck yourself, kill yourself, you piece of shit" by those people in the record companies that try to make him play songs about what they want to hear or sell. And for the last part of the song, "I say..." this is his response to those trying to conform him, but in order to not be a hypocrite he states that he is just kidding. I feel this song is not about censoring things like "fuck" but instead about how Maynard is censored by the record companies in his attempts to express his own ideas.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfanholle View Post
Take a look at the lyrcis posted to this site by Maynard himself:

even if I'm not serious.
Things like....
"Fuck yourself,
kill yourself,
you piece of shit."

what to think ,
and what to play.

I say...
"Go fuck yourself,
you piece of shit.

Just kidding.

Maybe Maynard is not talking about censorship, but trying to say that he is being forced to say things like "Fuck yourself, kill yourself, you piece of shit" by those people in the record companies that try to make him play songs about what they want to hear or sell. And for the last part of the song, "I say..." this is his response to those trying to conform him, but in order to not be a hypocrite he states that he is just kidding. I feel this song is not about censoring things like "fuck" but instead about how Maynard is censored by the record companies in his attempts to express his own ideas.
I like this Idea. Never thought about it that way. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefire View Post
(Note to reader: please forget everything you assume you know about this song, and just read what I have to say. Also shoutouts to threedeviations for his post about "Four Degrees" which inspired this)

Maynard is a lyrical genius. Sort of. Written on paper, his lyrics are just good. What makes them great is context. Maynard has an annate ability to "talk out both sides of his mouth". Honestly, how many lyricists can insult the listener, but by the end of the cd, the listener feels enlightened. Maynard can write a song that goes in two different directions of meaning, often baiting the listener to go with the more obvious meaning when hes going the other way. Its not unlike Muhammed Ali's "rope-a-dope". Don't believe me? Think of songs like "stinkfist" and "Four Degrees". But there are many, many other songs that he uses this ability, and a striking example of this is "Hush".

"Hush" is a song that upon watching the video and hearing the song, one automatically assumes its anti-censorship. And don't get me wrong, I know Tool does not stand for censorship. But you miss the subtlety of what maynard is actually saying

This is whats posted by Maynard:

even if I'm not serious.
Things like....
"Fuck yourself,
kill yourself,
you piece of shit."

what to think ,
and what to play.

I say...
"Go fuck yourself,
you piece of shit.

Just kidding.

But listen to the song. During the second time he sings the chorus, he replaces "even if im not serious" with "even if im just kidding". Now read the last line of the song, "Just Kidding". Think about that. He cant say what he wants to, even if hes just kidding. Then he tells you hes kidding. It renders everything he has just said null and void. He cant tell the truth when hes kidding. So he just created a paradox, if you will.

So whats the point of this song, if he completely contradicts himself? Well, my theory as to the meaning of the song deals with its context. The band released this song and CD in 1992. What marked the early '90s? Grunge. More specifically bands raging against corporations, while getting paid to do so. Commercial Rebellion, if you will. That was the music scene while Tool was trying to come out. To get heard you had to conform in some way. Tool was trying to make money and become a band, but they are themselves first and foremost. So what better way for a bunch of assholes (an undesputable characteristic of the band) to make money then to try to blend in with pop music, and make fun of it at the same time? All these grunge kids saying "fuck the corporate world" would bang their heads to this song, while the band laughs at them. Genius, really.

I know some of you still don't believe me, so I show you the video as proof. Look at it. The whole band is naked in front of the camera, save for the "parental advisory" signs over their genitalia. They all have shit-eating grins on their faces, with cum dripping out of their mouths. Now think about what that reminds you of. Think of maynard calling himself a "Hooker with a Penis". After sucking off "the man" he gets in front of a camera and sings a song that bitches about the man, and makes money off it. This song slams both the record industry, and the bands who bitch about greedy coporations. You cant "rage against the machine" if your getting paid by "the machine" to do so. And that my friends is the point of this song. Hes saying "Hush" to these so-called "rebels".

THINK ABOUT IT
very good interpretation. but just as a side note....i dont think tool sounds or sounded like any other band ive heard from that era...they always stood out for me becasue they sounded differently. if they were trying to sound the same....they failed, but failed in such a good way.

xxxx
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfanholle View Post
I feel this song is not about censoring things like "fuck" but instead about how Maynard is censored by the record companies in his attempts to express his own ideas.

i agree with that.

xxx
Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

I really don't have anything of value to contribute here because pretty much everything that could be said ... has already been said. This is a good healthy discussion, though, so kudos to everyone.

Let's not forget that whole "overanalyzing" thing, though...
Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #37
On Probation

Bincount™: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
I understand and mostly agree with what the original poster is saying but I disagree with the meaning of the last "just kidding" at the end of the song. I interpret this "just kidding" as "all that shit that I just roared about and made a big noise over...I really don't give a fuck". He's not just kidding about the lyrical content on paper - he's kidding about being all that pissed off about it too, letting us know that it's just a song. Great post though. Oh one more thing, that's not supposed to be load coming out of their mouths, just foam as in an angry rabid dog. As if they are saying, "Look at how angry we are, we're foaming at the mouth... oh not really...just kidding".

It's cum.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: