opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 2. Hush
User Name
Password
Old 10-31-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
This isnt about censorship

Think about it this is tools first cd they never had to desl with people telling them what to say I believe this is about maynards own divividied mind (He has admitted himself that hes skitzo) telling him ehat to do and what to think (maybe when he was much younger and blind to realityt believing what his chrustian parents told him). You cant deny it it has happened to all of us to a certain ecxtent.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: This isnt about censorship

Yes, this is their first CD...but it's also their 3rd year of being a band. They have had to deal with people telling them what to do and what to play before that when they were playing live. And if you watch the video, and listen to the lryics...it's almost obviously about censorship.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

They didn`t need to have dealed with censorship to write that song.It`s just to make you thing-"Yeah I agree Fuck the censorship" and be special...
Old 10-31-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Your probably right but I just saw it as society telling him what to say and what to think

By the way just because a film clip is conveying one message doesn't mean the song is coveying the same message ecspecially this one since the band didn't come up with the idea for it
Old 11-01-2003, 03:38 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

C`mon we all know how hard a new band wants to be appreciated when it begins.The most often case is mentioning a topic that everyone agrees with-such as Fuck the censorship.Most of the bands actually never get over it.
I`m not gonna lie-I don`t quite like Opiate as mutch as the other albums.Take Undertow-it`s waaay too better than Opiate.But that`s normal.I like The song Opiate and I thing It`s maybe the first big musical jump for the band.I don`t know for sure but that`s what I think...

...but than again only the band knows...
Old 11-05-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
Banned.

The main and most obvious meaning of this is just basic censorship. However, if you look into it more, you will notice that it's more than just the censoring of a few words. It's more about peopling being stopped from saying things freely and having free thoughts I feel, giving the religious theme of the album. And also being told to say one thing than another is a type of censor ship.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yes, l realize that, but don't you think this video is significant in that it's the only one that actually shows the band? Just my thoughts.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
Banned.

Hmm.. it might be, it might not be. I think it depends on your view point: If you look at the video from a marketing point of view, if you show the band off it's good publicity, they might get noticed etc; from the point of view for the censor ship, you could look at it two or more ways again... either, (a quick joke I thought up maybe just now), it's an inside joke that they will be "censored" from all of their videos after this (pretty lame idea actually), or it is showing that they are the ones who are fed up of being told to shut it basically.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, I do agree with the marketing point...but have you ever seen this video on local television? MTV? VH1? Anything like that? Of all the years I've loved TOOL I've never seen this particular video anywhere besides online. So don't you agree that if they made it for marketing purposes they would have at least found a way to have it shown more?
Old 01-23-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Okay, well of all the years you've loved TOOL, how many times have you seen their videos? I saw Schism once when it first came out, and then two years ago on Much Music on the Gods of Rock countdown. I saw it twice in two years. I haven't seen ANY of their other videos on TV. You don't see interviews with the band, even re-runs. I think this song just proves how well TOOL's original message of "I will say what I want, when I want, and no corporation, no label is going to tell me not to" has pretty much earned them censorship. Look how much trouble they've had with their record label because they won't do 3:00 songs. While Maynard may have intended this song to mean all aspects of life, I think that the corporate censorship of words that are deemed "offensive" is what MJK was attacking regardless of how you look at it.

A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Actually to tell you the truth, l've seen pretty much all of their other videos. l remember in 96' on MTV watching Stinkfist and Ænima on MTV. l also saw Sober once or twice a while back. So yes, l've seen almost all of the other videos. They just don't play them anymore. And there are a few interviews with the band, l think 2 that MTV held, and there are even more in magizines with various members of the band. But l do agree that Maynard just doesn't give a shit. l see him as having the attitude of "We have fans or we don't, they like our music or they don't, and for those who don't, don't worry about it."
Old 02-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

I've seen at least three of their videos on Much Music, it's not that these stations can't play their videos, if you want to see some call in and request it becase they do have them. I don't think the song Hush is just about censorship of Tool's lyrics, I think it's just about censorship in general. The whole video, for those who havn't seen it, is the band walking around in a white room completely naked wearing nothing but the generic "Parental Advisery" label, so it seems to me that they're trying to portray one of the most common forms of censorship (nudity) to get their point across.

If you don't think the song is about censorship then maybe your looking too hard. Sometimes the right answer is the most obvious one.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Four Degrees

Any thoughts on the meaning of four degrees????
Old 02-28-2004, 06:36 PM   #14
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

l don't exactly think the song itself is about censorship...l think Maynard could really give a crap about what people think about their music, and that's what he's saying to the public with this song. He's saying no matter what people tell him what to say or what to play, he's going to do it the way he wants to. Opiate and Undertow are pretty straight foward albums...you pretty much get the mesage across from the song by just listening to the lyrics.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

I think TOOL set up a situation with the record companies where they get full liberty to create whatever they want, and then the band gives up most of the money to the studio. I think so anyway, and that would make sense because they don't seem like a band that is out there for money, but to get a message across. So I don't think that this is about the record company, however, it could be about media and stuff like MTV. Take Stinkfist for example, they thought that it might be an offensive title to put on t.v., so they title it Track #1.

It is probably about censorship on some level, I just don't think that their anger is focused at their record company.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:33 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

l think in the end of all of it, TOOL is going to create an ultimate album that when you listen to it, you realize all of lifes secrets or something.

Ok...maybe not. But hey, it could happen.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:49 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

If they make another album, people will have anticipated it so much and thought for so long that it will be some huge work that will exceed all others, and never be exceeded itself that it will be a let down. It will be good no doubt, in fact, excellent no doubt. But I think that if we elevate a non-existant album to the heavens, it will sink to hell when we hear it.

By the way, has anyone heard of TOOL working on a new album?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:12 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Supposedly Maynard has been some-what recording on the road with APC...but right now, they're not exactly finalizing or anything. l'm sure when Maynard is done with his touring with APC, next year, it seems that they will come out with a new album shortly after that. But l'm not exactly sure when...the longest we've had to wait for an album of theirs to come out is 5 years, if you don't count Salival...so maybe since every time a new album comes out it takes longer, maybe this time we'll be waiting even longer.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllforUnity
Supposedly Maynard has been some-what recording on the road with APC...but right now, they're not exactly finalizing or anything. l'm sure when Maynard is done with his touring with APC, next year, it seems that they will come out with a new album shortly after that. But l'm not exactly sure when...the longest we've had to wait for an album of theirs to come out is 5 years, if you don't count Salival...so maybe since every time a new album comes out it takes longer, maybe this time we'll be waiting even longer.
They may make us wait longer, they may make us wait forever. The point is that they at least put out the albums that they did.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

l'm not complaining or anything. l love TOOL and all of their albums. What they have now is fine with me. l was only wondering when they would come out with a new album.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
l'm not complaining or anything. l love TOOL and all of their albums. What they have now is fine with me. l was only wondering when they would come out with a new album.
Sorry if you felt like I was attacking you, I didn't mean for it to come out that way by any means. In fact, I have been wondering the same thing as you. When will that next album come out?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:02 PM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Oh it's fine. l didn't feel as if you were attacking me. l just felt the need to inform how l felt.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:48 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

uhh....does anyone know if they are planning on making another album, or if they are working on one?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2158

Yes they're in the process. Could be awhile...
Old 03-18-2004, 09:48 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by herarety
Yes they're in the process. Could be awhile...
Do you have any idea where I could find any further information, like, where you found out for example. thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 02:21 AM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

l don't think their next album is going to be out until 2006.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
l don't think their next album is going to be out until 2006.
It is unfortunate that I'm impatient. Hopefully something good will come out from somebody while in the wait.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:53 PM   #29
Banned.

Bincount™: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingAnApple
They didn`t need to have dealed with censorship to write that song.It`s just to make you thing-"Yeah I agree Fuck the censorship" and be special...
please use the emergency exit, its the big X in a box up in the right hand corner, and dont ever come back.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah that doesn't make much sense to me either.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: