opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #961
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 10KD tour ultimate/ideal setlist

on the possibility that TOOL will not release a new album,

Jambi - it was a PERFECT opener in Atlanta
Schism - calm parts
Stinkfist - bringing it back up
The Pot - holding it there
The Grudge - closing
-set break of some sort-
Lost keys starting up into Rosetta Stoned - best song ever/getting back into it
Eon Blue into The Patient - mood changer
Pushit - just because
Flood - just because
Aenima - has to be there
Third Eye - crazy outro

(lets just hope TOOL releases a new album.)

Opening act- i think it would be really cool if Zaum played a part
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #962
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorHead View Post
on the possibility that TOOL will not release a new album,

Jambi - it was a PERFECT opener in Atlanta
Schism - calm parts
Stinkfist - bringing it back up
The Pot - holding it there
The Grudge - closing
-set break of some sort-
Lost keys starting up into Rosetta Stoned - best song ever/getting back into it
Eon Blue into The Patient - mood changer
Pushit - just because
Flood - just because
Aenima - has to be there
Third Eye - crazy outro

(lets just hope TOOL releases a new album.)

Opening act- i think it would be really cool if Zaum played a part
Take out Third Eye and this becomes a pretty reasonable and awesome setlist.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #963
Level 7 - Loquacious

Haven't done this in awhile it's fun to try and make something that would really fit time wise into what they do with so many songs you like but this is my try

Intolerance or The Grudge
Eulogy
46 & 2
The Pot
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Pushit
Jambi
Jerk Off or Hooker With a Penis
Opiate or Sober
Right In Two
Parabol/a
Rosetta Stoned
Prison Sex
Aenima

Encore
D/R/T/ or Third Eye
Lateralus
08/30/06 Englewood,CO Coors Ampitheater, 05/08/2007 Albuquerque,NM Tingley Coliseum, 11/19/2007 Tulsa,OK Tulsa Convention Center,07/18/09 Denver,CO MileHighMusicFestival, 06/23/10 Oklahoma City,OK Ford Center, 06/28/10 Morrison,CO Red Rocks, 01/20/12 Grand Prairie,TX Verizon Theater, 01/21/12 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theater, 01/16/2016 Tulsa, OK BOK Center, 10/26/2016 Denver, CO Pepsi Center, 10/28/2016 Little Rock,AR Verizon Arena, 05/13/2019 St. Louis, MO Enterprise Arena, 05/14/2019 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center, 10/29/2019 BOK Center Tulsa,OK, 01/30/2022 Tulsa, OK BOK Center, 10/03/23 Loveland, CO Budweiser Event Center
Old 05-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #964
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

The Grudge
Jambi
H.
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Intension (I would really like to hear them play the whole thing live)
Right in Two
Pushit
Vicarious
Aenema

I think H. is the only one of these songs that is unlikely to happen this tour. The rest I think are all a definitely possibility, especially Right in Two and Pushit. I would like to hear Parabola, The Pot, or The Patient, but Maynard just cannot sing them solidly anymore, so I wouldn't expect those at all.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #965
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

forgot about intension, i saw em play a snippit of it at one show, but we need the whole thing. this could happen
Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #966
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

that'd be a snoozefest
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude420 View Post
forgot about intension, i saw em play a snippit of it at one show, but we need the whole thing. this could happen
Yea I heard Adam play about 30 seconds of it once (which is quite a bit for a live show), before they went into Right in Two. That was in Corpus Christi, TX, back in '07. It's such a dynamic song. I would really like to see Danny reproduce those electronics, I'd love to hear Maynard do the chanting (if he would actually put forth the effort), I'd love to hear Justin's unsettling bass, and I'd love to hear Adam's relaxing solo...live.

And no, it wouldn't be a snoozefest anymore than Parabol or Disposition, or Wings for Marie for that matter. Then again, whether it's "exciting" or not doesn't really matter. It's Tool playing an immensely involved piece of music. Even if you don't have any formal musical education, I have a hard time understanding why you wouldn't appreciate that-- that is, unless you're one of those angry Undertow fanboys who just wants to headbang.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #968
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553

wings for marie was fucking fantastic live. might have been the MDMA and gigantic thunderstorm raining down on us, but likely my favourite 15 minutes of any tool show ever.

third eye would complete my "must see live" list.

right in two would be awesome. heard it was great live.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #969
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

no i appreciate the song
but if they are going to add one new song for the first time in 5 years, i do not want it to be intension
Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #970

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSummerSea View Post
wings for marie was fucking fantastic live. might have been the MDMA and gigantic thunderstorm raining down on us, but likely my favourite 15 minutes of any tool show ever.

third eye would complete my "must see live" list.

right in two would be awesome. heard it was great live.
Right in Two was the one song I've seen Tool play live that I can honestly say just blew my mind to bits. I'm a drummer of 17 years, and while I consider Danny one of the best drummers in the world, I can usually understand and reproduce anything he does on a drum kit (other than his electronics). But when he started playing the second half of Right in Two (after the tabla solo)...just trust me, you have NO idea how incredible Danny's drumming really is in that song until you see it live. It was the only live Tool piece I've EVER seen where I just literally did not know what to think. I was watching his hands, watching his sticks fly from piece to piece and cymbal to cymbal faster than my brain could even process, and he just didn't stop. I truly almost had a nervous breakdown, because it was at that point when I realized, compared to Danny Carey, I know absolutely nothing. He is that good.

I've seen them all too...Rosetta Stoned, Third Eye, Pushit, Prison Sex, etc. etc. But Right in Two was just in a different league as far as Danny's drumming. I've tried to describe it in this post, but it's hard to really get across. I hope they play it at every show.

Anyway, even though I've been playing for 17 years...after watching Danny play Right in Two, I went home that night feeling like the shittiest drummer in the world.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
no i appreciate the song
but if they are going to add one new song for the first time in 5 years, i do not want it to be intension
Well, yea, I agree with that. But I don't think they're going to add just one song. They've been jamming new material according to Blair at least three days a week, and you can bet they are rehearsing old songs quite a bit as well. For the last tour, they came in cold; they hadn't been rehearsing much together. I think they will add at least three or four new songs to the setlist from the last tour, if not more.

I really believe this is a tour to energize the fans for a new album in 2011. I think this tour will be a shift away from the past 4 years that have been defined by 10,000 Days (in the direction of a new album), and I think you will see that symbolized by a drastic change in the setlist that everyone is accustomed to. Call me crazy but they might even play something new toward the end of the tour, and if they don't play an actual song, I think they will at least drop some hints.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #972
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
no i appreciate the song
damn gurl, I would LOVE to see the full Intension. They teased it before Right in Two, it's so awesome.

They've played (and I've seen) every other song on 10kD (besides the segues) so that's another reason it would be icing on the cake.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #973
greetings from planet x

Bincount™: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by withSpirit View Post
Right in Two was the one song I've seen Tool play live that I can honestly say just blew my mind to bits. I'm a drummer of 17 years, and while I consider Danny one of the best drummers in the world, I can usually understand and reproduce anything he does on a drum kit (other than his electronics). But when he started playing the second half of Right in Two (after the tabla solo)...just trust me, you have NO idea how incredible Danny's drumming really is in that song until you see it live. It was the only live Tool piece I've EVER seen where I just literally did not know what to think. I was watching his hands, watching his sticks fly from piece to piece and cymbal to cymbal faster than my brain could even process, and he just didn't stop. I truly almost had a nervous breakdown, because it was at that point when I realized, compared to Danny Carey, I know absolutely nothing. He is that good.

I've seen them all too...Rosetta Stoned, Third Eye, Pushit, Prison Sex, etc. etc. But Right in Two was just in a different league as far as Danny's drumming. I've tried to describe it in this post, but it's hard to really get across. I hope they play it at every show.

Anyway, even though I've been playing for 17 years...after watching Danny play Right in Two, I went home that night feeling like the shittiest drummer in the world.

i will have to totally agree with you on this one.

i saw tool on their mini tour back in 2006, about a week or 2 after 10000 days came out. during that mini tour, they werent really playing right in two, but somehow, they broke it out for us. keep in mind, this venue was SO small, it only held about 1500 people. i was absolutely in awe of the drumming in that song. SO powerful.

they really need to bring it back for this summer tour 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #974
Level 7 - Loquacious

With everyone wondering whether or not Tool will play any cover songs this summer, I think it is important for us all to take a look back at one of the greatest covers in the history of music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xcub7YxI98
Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #975
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsarealzinger View Post
With everyone wondering whether or not Tool will play any cover songs this summer, I think it is important for us all to take a look back at one of the greatest covers in the history of music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xcub7YxI98
LOL... wow
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #976
Level 7 - Loquacious

I usually don't do these, but since I'm bored I'll attempt to put together a dream setlist within the confines of what I think would be semi-realistic given the 10,000 Days touring patterns:

Jambi
Stinkfist (OTRM)
Forty Six + 2
H (or Eulogy)
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Pushit (album version)
--Intermission/Synth--
Third Eye (sort of replacing the epic/long Wings slot)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Granted, that set would be closer to 2.5 hours, and we know that's not happening. I really hope they stop closing with Vicarious. Such an odd note to end on in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #977
Level 4 - Thinker

The Grudge
Stinkfist
Undertow
46&2
H.
Jambi
The Pot
Prison Sex
Pushit (studio version)
Sober
Third Eye
Vicarious
Lateralus
The Patient
Aenima
Old 05-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #978

Bincount™: 14

since i have nothing else to do, i present in some particular order...

cold and ugly
lost keys
rosetta stoned
schism
wings for marie
10,000 days
the pot
you lied
the patient
pushit
third eye
Ænema
D/R/T
lateralus
Old 05-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #979
greetings from planet x

Bincount™: 1062

................by blammmmmmooo!!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #980

My ideal setlist:

Hooker with a Penis
Sweat
The Pot
Parabol/Parabola
Swamp Song
Jimmy
Bottom
The Grudge
Cold and Ugly
Pushit (original version)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Third Eye

Encore: Aenima
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #981
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Vicarious
Jambi
Prison Sex
Forty Six and 2
Parabol/Parabola
Schism
The Pot
Pushit
Ænema
Lateralus
EBA/ The Patient
Right in Two

Encore: Stinkfist
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #982
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new millenium cyanide christ View Post
i will have to totally agree with you on this one.

i saw tool on their mini tour back in 2006, about a week or 2 after 10000 days came out. during that mini tour, they werent really playing right in two, but somehow, they broke it out for us. keep in mind, this venue was SO small, it only held about 1500 people. i was absolutely in awe of the drumming in that song. SO powerful.

they really need to bring it back for this summer tour 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was at the show in Chicago that same tour and they played Right In Two... was really really good... I was torn on my playlist to go with a "fantasy" set list of 4 hours including basically all of their songs I ever liked... or something more like what I thought I'd actually get for the summer 2010 tour... so I decided to do something in the middle...

Jambi
The Pot
Eulogy
46&2
Stinkfist
Parabol
Parabola
_____ Intermission _____

Opiate
Swamp Song
Vicarious
Lateralus
Pushit

Encore: Aenema

Still way too long to be realistic, especially with the encore that wouldn't happen... but I can dream.

10,000 days was good live both times I saw it... but I'd so much rather them trade it out for an older long-form song like Pushit or Third Eye, or 2 or 3 shorter songs instead. I'd like about any Tool song live, but after hearing the same basic show 4 times in a row I would like to hear them mix it up a little bit, maybe give us an extra couple surprise older songs since next tour after this will mostly likely be heavy with songs from the new album, and therefore less of a chance to go deeper into their catalog
Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #983
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

This is my dream setlist. Probably a little too long to be realistic. But if the band called me up today and said "You get to pick the setlist for one show. Be reasonable. We won't play 3 hours" ... here's what I'd like:

1. Stinkfist (I think it's the perfect opener ... Tool must think so too)
2. The Grudge (two strong openers to start this party)
3. The Pot
4. Jambi
5. Sober
6. Right in Two
7. H. (my favorite TOOL song, along with Pushit ... gotta have it)
8. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
9. Opiate

INTERMISSION
10. Flood
11. Pushit
12. Lateralus

Then the lights go out and we think it's over. But we've been a particularly good crowd and out of nowhere we hear Danny's subtle drum seven times thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump. Maynard says: "You've been extra good tonight, so we have a treat for you."

THIRD EYE
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #984
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
I usually don't do these, but since I'm bored I'll attempt to put together a dream setlist within the confines of what I think would be semi-realistic given the 10,000 Days touring patterns:

I dont normally do these things either - just makes me get my hopes up. But I will indulge while totally disregarding the 10,000 days touring patterns.

1. Mantra - Or any ambient ear-candy track will begin immediately as the lights go down. The crowd rises and begins to cheer. The ambient track will continue right into...

2. Merkaba (ft. new Tim Leary samples) - As with many openers, this song would ideally begin with very low lights or total darkness then as the song builds the lighting would get brighter but remain at a low level. Merkaba is a total psychedeliac jam out, which I think would be a cool and relatively unconventional way to start a show - ideally at a festival. It wouldn't take very long for the audience to realize: "Oh, shit. This show is going to be different." I imagine Adam would project some very weird/awesome imagery by the end of the tune.

3. Intolerance (New-extended version) - This song will begin with nary a pause after Merkaba. The audience erupts. This track is the perfect complement to Merkaba because its way more conventional and rock-oriented. The new version will feature new vintage audio samples - seemingly of politicians/authority figures speaking. When the song ends the next song begins immediately...

4. Stinkfist (extended version) - Never fails to deliver. A perfect clincher for the opening trio medley that I envision. When this song finishes there is a very brief pause in which another ear-candy track comes to the fore. To everybodys delight the track is...

5. Eon Blue Apocalypse (Extended ft. a digeridoo) - Audience members expect the Patient to come next but are surprised to discover this version of Eon Blue is extended. Though still retaining its moody nature, the songs is far more psychedeliac and features some great instrumentation in the form of the digiridoo. Upon its conclusion the Patient begins immediately...

6. The Patient - Just like we all remember it. A swirling beast of a song. At this point in the concert everyone feels like they are on hallucinogens. Many, in fact, are.

----------Intermission-----------

7. Jambi - No ear-candy or ambience precedes this song. The lights go off and after a few seconds we hear Adam's pummeling intro. The crowd goes wild.

8. Useful Idiot/46&2 - Another classic crowd pleaser. Perfectly executed to nobodies surprise. Then... holy shit, the band unveils a new laser-light show! The lights go down as the song concludes. Silence, and then...

9. Sober - Somewhat of a surprise to play this song at this time but nobody seems to mind. This performance has a tear-down-the-house kind of feel to it. Something not often felt at Tool shows - at least not since the pre Aenima days. When the song ends, the lights go down and some ambient noise comes to the foreground. Is this the end of the show? All thats left is a small image being projected on screen... Its too small no one can make it out at first but the crowd roars, beckoning the band to play 1 more song. The image on screen becomes larger and it becomes evident that the image is from the Lateralus cover art. Oh shit...

-----Encore 1-------

10. Lateralus - The epic track is unfurled in its full glory here. The laser light show is even better than we all remember. When the song ends everyone wants 1 more. Will the band oblige?

11. Vicarious - Yes they oblige. The crowd seems pleased, almost overwhelmed at this point. This has to be the end right? Most people think so, but not quite.

12. Rosetta Stoned - No Lost Keys just right into Rosetta Stoned. Fans are caught off guard - as they have been all show. Upon the songs conclusion the band members take a bow, Standing ovation etc...etc... But wait... the crowd is still cheering. The band appears to be talking to one another, what do they have planned. Maynard addresses the crowd: "We decided to play some songs for you this summer... We wanted to something different... We'll, we hope you approve..."

Then right on cue...

-----Encore 2-------

13. Ticks and Leeches - What else needs to be said. This would be my dream set list.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #985
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

For Red Rocks

1st night - Start out with Opiate then The whole Lateralus album
2nd night Aenema and 10,000 days
Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #986

Re: Ideal Coachella setlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
stinkfist
new song #1 (the single probably)
h
aenema
new song #2
the grudge
undertow
lateralus
new song #3 (the 17 minute long one)
You're really writing off the Tool's most sophisticated compositions yet as "New song 1 - 3"? That's pretty pathetic. Also, Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot were all radio singles.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #987
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurok View Post
-----------------------------------------------
NEVER GONNA PLAY TICKS & LEECHES, well as long as Maynard is singing
Well obviously the guy from Linkin Park will come out and do guest vocals on the song.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #988
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurok View Post
-----------------------------------------------
NEVER GONNA PLAY TICKS & LEECHES, well as long as Maynard is singing
They're never gonna play anyone else's setlist in this thread, either. That's why it's called the ULTIMATE / IDEAL setlist thread. So don't go pooping on other people's dreams.

The only songs they haven't played live besides segues are Gaping Lotus Experience and Intension (they teased it but haven't played it in its entirety). So yes, that means they've played Ticks & Leeches, Die Eier Von Satan, Faaip de Oiad, Maynard's Dick, etc...some songs they've played only ONCE but hey, once is enough to say that it's happened.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #989

Jambi
Stinkfist
H.
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Encore: Third Eye.

people would flip a bitch. Exact same set list as the last 4 years (plus H.) then BAM! Third Eye
Catch people completely off guard
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #990
Level 3 - Talker

So its not a setlist but theres no opener named yet so my never happen dream is that theres a APC reunion to open for tool.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #991
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
They're never gonna play anyone else's setlist in this thread, either. That's why it's called the ULTIMATE / IDEAL setlist thread. So don't go pooping on other people's dreams.

The only songs they haven't played live besides segues are Gaping Lotus Experience and Intension (they teased it but haven't played it in its entirety).
Whats your definition of teaser for intension? I remember a good bit of it in San Antonio 2007 leading into Right In Two.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #992
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXCAR View Post
Whats your definition of teaser for intension? I remember a good bit of it in San Antonio 2007 leading into Right In Two.
yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The whole song is seven and a half minutes and has a good bit of drumming, singing, and other wankery. In 2007 they played an abbreviated version as an intro to Right in Two.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #993
Level 4 - Thinker

Ideal/Ultimate Set List.... Sure, why not.

1.Jambi (because it is such a banging opener. Not much comes close to the opening riff.)
2. Undertow
3. H.
4. Reflection
5. Third Eye
6. Lateralus
7. The Grudge
8. 46&2
9. Right in two
10. Aenima

Encore: Jimmy
Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXCAR View Post
They also did the same thing in Corpus the next night. I was at both of those shows. Adam just goofed around with some of the Intension riffs for about 2 minutes at the most...they definitely didn't even come close to playing the full song.

On a side note, I would really, really, REALLY love to see Right in Two on this tour.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #995
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

This will be the setlist tonight.

Jambi
Stinkfist
The Patient
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Third Eye
Lateralus
Opiate
Aenema
Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #996
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDieselFiesta View Post
This will be the setlist tonight.

Jambi
Stinkfist
The Patient
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Third Eye
Lateralus
Opiate
Aenema
I really doubt that they'll not play "Vicarious".
Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #997
Level 11 - Clamorous

lol third eye

I'd say The Patient is a good bet though
Old 06-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz46&2 View Post
I really doubt that they'll not play "Vicarious".
Yea, but I almost wish they wouldn't play it. Maynard butchered that song on the last tour, It sounded terrible through the megaphone, and he sang it off key every time.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #999
Level 4 - Thinker

I would like to see.....

Third Eye
Jambi
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocolypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Forty-Six & 2
Lateralus
ÆNEMA

Oh wait....

That's the set thet're playing now....

This is going to be FUCKING AWESOME!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #1000
Level 4 - Thinker

I would like to see them do a set with three of my favorite TOOL songs.

The Grudge
H.
AENEMA

I've already seen them play these songs in concert, but I would love to see them again.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: