opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 1. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282
The Meaning of Third Eye

Because Third Eye originally appeared on Aenima, I should have probably posted this there, but because I like the live version better, I decided to post it here.

Go live.

During "Shrouding all the ground around me....is this holy crow above me...." vocals (by far my favorite part of any tool song, and perhaps the most powerful statement of any song), what is Maynard really trying to say?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 779
Re: The Meaning of Third Eye

When you leave your body, the first thing you notice is that there is no ground.

The second bit is wordplay, methinky, like ''holy crow!'' , or the wonders of your inner perspective and how it relates to the outer world you just left.

But crow could also symbolise a birds-eye view of this, deeper reality (i.e. God: all-transcending, all-present), but i doubt it.

What's it mean to you?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

To me, this whole song is about connecting, consciously, with another being...lets say for example, your loved one, such as a wife or girlfriend.

In become a unity with another consciousness, you become to understand the meaning of life, and thus ultimately, you pry open you're "third eye."
Old 03-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Banned.

Funny, i completely disagree with everything you just wrote, but i know you're right.
Until i met my wife, i was basically a 22 year veteran of being the grumpiest motherfucker on the block.
Without saying a word about it, she affected something in me: the grow the fuck up codon.

I never though about it until just now, but you're right. She is helping me get rid of the cold logic, because love makes you emotion-drunk.

And the hangover is reality.

hmmmmmm.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 51

I like this interp on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeSeed View Post

Shrouding all the ground around me
Is this holy crow above me.

A crow is usually like, an omen of death. Holy crow is a referance to God and how it probably was casting, not exactly a shadow, but cramped anxiety that he can't get away from. He wants answers. It's like, all these questions about God are kind of getting to his head. He can't stop thinking about them . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllvllledusa View Post
I think the Third Eye is about people who constantly use psychedelics to open their third eye. They are so happy to see the third eye, but when the psychedelic starts to wear off their third eye closes and people figure that the only way that they can open it again is to keep taking psychedelics (pry open their third eye). I believe the point of the song was to point out that you should only have to use a psychedelic once responsibly to get a glimpse of the third eye chakra so that you can understand that there is more to life then only hanging around the will/ego chakra and that you should try to open your third eye without drugs. If you just constantly pry open your third eye then youre never really going to move from the will/ego chakra that the psychedelic brings you back to. If you find a way or go down specific paths to open your third eye without drugs then the third eye isnt going to be running away from you this time.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Banned.

i never thought about it like that, in such depth.
It reminds me of the bit in The Wall, when the bird becomes that precise killing machine.
Word up.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: