opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Arts & Crafts
User Name
Password
Old 07-09-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
handling criticism

hey, Hi people, I'm new here
I'd like to ask all of you do you really think there is constructive criticism?
I don't believe it. If I want to know someones opinion about something I'll ask, I'll also answer someones question about something, but people that merely criticise and think they are constructive, are wrong, I think...
What do you think?

ps maybe I've written in a wrong place on this forum :-)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:38 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38
I'm interested to know why you think it's wrong.

Personally, I don't think so. As an artist, interacting with others and talking about the work has been a very important part of my growth. As an artist, it's really easy to get too close to your work. Others might see something wrong that you may not have caught because of it. Or, someone with a lot more experience might be able to lend insight. Again, very valuable.

Usually the artists that don't want critiques are either scared, or just too attached to their work to hear any negative feedback. Either that or they are close minded and really don't have any interest in hearing what others have to say, even if it might be insightful.

Anyways, that's what I think about critiquing.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318
I'd pretty much agree with you on that.
Having someone else view on an issue (whether negative or not) can give an artist a valuable new way of looking at something which they've probably become pretty tied up to.
If its just flat out criticism, thats a little different, but if you can draw something positive out of it (such as altering something so as it is more asthetically appealing)....

Not accepting criticism is pretty much not allowing yourself to grow and develop as an artist.
Having said that though, I sometimes find it difficult to take criticism in a positive way, because yeah - I get attatched to my work.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 AM   #4
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 260
well if you're critizing someone but you are trying to help them improve, i'm pretty sure thats constructive critisism
Old 07-10-2003, 08:25 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah, there is a definate difference between someone lending a critique and someone bashing the work.

A basher, would just say something like... "Whoa, that totally sucks and it looks like a two years old boy drew it"

While someone giving a critique would lend insight into what's wrong and lend advice on how to fix it.

Usually the basher just isn't intelligent enough to be able to say anything useful and probably isn't worth listening to anyway. You just have to ignore those kinds of people.

From an Artist perspective you just have to learn the difference between the two, take what advice you deem useful and discard the rest. It's up to you to take out of it what you want. If you let a critique get you depressed about your work, then the first thing you need to fix about yourself is your confidence. You put your art out there for people to see, you are going to have to take the good comments as well as the bad. Thick skin is important.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15
I think showing a real interest in someones work and maybe suggesting something that can make it a lot better is very helpful...

something like

"thats really good, if you put this there and that here and shade the outsides and leave the insides white can make the effect look real realistic.." or whatever

there is never a need for negative comments
Old 07-10-2003, 11:12 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Negative or positive is all a matter of perception anyway.

something like

"thats really good, if you put this there and that here and shade the outsides and leave the insides white can make the effect look real realistic.."

Could come off as negative to people who only want to hear that their art is perfect.

To a person who knows better, it would be valuable input.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: