Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
08-16-2006, 11:00 PM

Can't remember what they said to me.
Can't remember what they said to make me out to be the hero.
Can't remember what they said.
Bob help me.

thoughts?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
bob help me

Can't remember what they said to me.
Can't remember what they said to make me out to be the hero.
Bob help me.

thoughts?
08-16-2006, 11:34 PM

now that is strange...
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: bob help me

now that is strange...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Spiralman
08-17-2006, 12:18 AM

Methinks "Bob" is just his way of saying "God"
Old 08-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

08-17-2006, 12:30 AM

This song is so filled with obscure pop-culture references that I wouldn't be surprised if it was talking about a real person or character named Bob. But at this point I also think it's probably just a disoriented sarcastic take on "God help me."
Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

This song is so filled with obscure pop-culture references that I wouldn't be surprised if it was talking about a real person or character named Bob. But at this point I also think it's probably just a disoriented sarcastic take on "God help me."
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
08-17-2006, 01:06 AM

I am sure I remember someone picking up that lyric in the "what's he saying" section, but no-one believed him...
Old 08-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

I am sure I remember someone picking up that lyric in the "what's he saying" section, but no-one believed him...
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
08-17-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralman
Why would you think this?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralman
Why would you think this?
ElDespertador's Avatar ElDespertador
08-17-2006, 02:12 AM

From 'nards MySpace blog:

"P.S. By the way. My name isn't actually GOD. It's BOB. There was a bit of a SNAFU a few thousand years and several prophets back. The angel that was delivering the "WORD" back then had an eating disorder and drooled all over the sticky note. I've been trying, with no success, to fix that ever since. These talkin monkeys are a tough crowd. Thick skulls. After a while I just gave up."
Old 08-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

"P.S. By the way. My name isn't actually GOD. It's BOB. There was a bit of a SNAFU a few thousand years and several prophets back. The angel that was delivering the "WORD" back then had an eating disorder and drooled all over the sticky note. I've been trying, with no success, to fix that ever since. These talkin monkeys are a tough crowd. Thick skulls. After a while I just gave up."
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
08-17-2006, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDespertador

That is HILARIOUS! I have never seen that before - my brother and I always thought that God's first name was Peter (we went to Mass as children) and at the end they say "Thanks Peter God". Or at least that is what we thought. It really is "Thanks be to God".

AND your quote fits beautifully into "Right in Two" as well - those dodgy monkeys!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:

That is HILARIOUS! I have never seen that before - my brother and I always thought that God's first name was Peter (we went to Mass as children) and at the end they say "Thanks Peter God". Or at least that is what we thought. It really is "Thanks be to God".

AND your quote fits beautifully into "Right in Two" as well - those dodgy monkeys!
disaxiom's Avatar disaxiom
08-17-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:

that's awesome! case closed
Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

that's awesome! case closed
molehill's Avatar molehill
08-17-2006, 03:41 AM

Posted this in another thread, but thought it may be of interest here too.

Re: Bob help me -

If you read Douglas Adams 'Mostly Harmless' (the last book of the Hitchhikers Guide series), when Arthur is stuck on a parallel-dimension earth as the sandwich maker for an undeveloped tribe/culture, 'The Almighty Bob' is their deity of choice, as it were. It may be a reference to that.

But Bob only knows if this is correct...
Old 08-17-2006, 03:41 AM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 715

Posted this in another thread, but thought it may be of interest here too.

Re: Bob help me -

If you read Douglas Adams 'Mostly Harmless' (the last book of the Hitchhikers Guide series), when Arthur is stuck on a parallel-dimension earth as the sandwich maker for an undeveloped tribe/culture, 'The Almighty Bob' is their deity of choice, as it were. It may be a reference to that.

But Bob only knows if this is correct...
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
08-17-2006, 04:52 AM

What about Bob Dobbs? The Church of the Subgenius. Bob Dobbs, praise Bob -- and all of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius

For added fun: Repeat this to yourself, or out loud: Paging Mr. Dobalena Mr. Bob Dobalena, Mr. Dobalena, Mr. Bob Dobalena. Then throw in over it (a-la "Row row row your boat"): "It isn't my opinion that the people are attending, it isn't my opinion that the people are attending." Doing so will quickly indoctrinate you into the church, which by now I'm sure you'll want to do. Anyway, the local university radio station used to play that in association with the Church of the Subgenius references, always concluding with "Bob Dobbs, praise Bob".
Old 08-17-2006, 04:52 AM   #11
Prana

Bincount™: 8

What about Bob Dobbs? The Church of the Subgenius. Bob Dobbs, praise Bob -- and all of that?

For added fun: Repeat this to yourself, or out loud: Paging Mr. Dobalena Mr. Bob Dobalena, Mr. Dobalena, Mr. Bob Dobalena. Then throw in over it (a-la "Row row row your boat"): "It isn't my opinion that the people are attending, it isn't my opinion that the people are attending." Doing so will quickly indoctrinate you into the church, which by now I'm sure you'll want to do. Anyway, the local university radio station used to play that in association with the Church of the Subgenius references, always concluding with "Bob Dobbs, praise Bob".
08-17-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. I had the cassette single of that song when I was 11.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. I had the cassette single of that song when I was 11.
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
08-17-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGoLetgoLetGo
Glad to know I'm not the only one around here old enough to remember. So, there was no association with Bob Dobbs?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGoLetgoLetGo
Glad to know I'm not the only one around here old enough to remember. So, there was no association with Bob Dobbs?
08-17-2006, 06:02 PM

i already posted about bob dobbs in the "The Drug thread"
Old 08-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

i already posted about bob dobbs in the "The Drug thread"
mike09's Avatar mike09
08-17-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobot
Bob Barker imo.
I'm goin' with that one.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
Bob Barker imo.
I'm goin' with that one.
moneyisevil's Avatar moneyisevil
08-17-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Bob Barker imo.

bob barker ftw
Old 08-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

Quote:
Bob Barker imo.

bob barker ftw
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-18-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
lol, hilarious...I remember that song
Old 08-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
lol, hilarious...I remember that song
08-18-2006, 10:43 AM

Your progress from maynards myspace seems the likely answer... but with all the other pop culture references i was thinking maybe "Bob" the doppelganger from Twin Peaks...but that may be a stretch
Old 08-18-2006, 10:43 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Your progress from maynards myspace seems the likely answer... but with all the other pop culture references i was thinking maybe "Bob" the doppelganger from Twin Peaks...but that may be a stretch
InsolentBystander
08-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA

Lol. When I was a kid I first thought “Christ” was a verb. Jesus chrised, past tense of chrise, whatever that means. Then later I thought it was his surname.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA

Lol. When I was a kid I first thought “Christ” was a verb. Jesus chrised, past tense of chrise, whatever that means. Then later I thought it was his surname.
Bigtimefromday1's Avatar Bigtimefromday1
08-18-2006, 11:08 AM

hey subtle...have you seen this..?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTyZ8sSbDIs

pretty hilarious/great/horrible
Old 08-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

hey subtle...have you seen this..?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTyZ8sSbDIs

pretty hilarious/great/horrible
Sanzen
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM

" OH - YOUR - GOD. "

- Bender to Fry upon seeing the amazonian women.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

" OH - YOUR - GOD. "

- Bender to Fry upon seeing the amazonian women.
losdiablos's Avatar losdiablos
08-28-2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath View Post

I think that quite clearly, given his MySpace posts and the reference to Bob at that point in the song...he's referencing J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

J. R. "Bob" Dobbs is the figurehead of the Church of the SubGenius. His image is derived from a piece of 1950s clip-art. According to SubGenius dogma, "Bob" was a drilling equipment salesman who, in the 1950s, saw a vision of God (JHVH-1 according to Church scriptures) on a television set he had built himself. The vision inspired him to write the "PreScriptures" (as described in the Book of the SubGenius) and found the Church. "Bob" has been credited by Church members as being the greatest salesman who ever lived, and he has apparently cheated death itself a number of times. He was assassinated in San Francisco in 1984, though the Church states that he has come back from the dead several times since then and is living in a small Malaysian village known as Dobbstown.

"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs
Old 08-28-2006, 06:08 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath View Post

I think that quite clearly, given his MySpace posts and the reference to Bob at that point in the song...he's referencing J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

J. R. "Bob" Dobbs is the figurehead of the Church of the SubGenius. His image is derived from a piece of 1950s clip-art. According to SubGenius dogma, "Bob" was a drilling equipment salesman who, in the 1950s, saw a vision of God (JHVH-1 according to Church scriptures) on a television set he had built himself. The vision inspired him to write the "PreScriptures" (as described in the Book of the SubGenius) and found the Church. "Bob" has been credited by Church members as being the greatest salesman who ever lived, and he has apparently cheated death itself a number of times. He was assassinated in San Francisco in 1984, though the Church states that he has come back from the dead several times since then and is living in a small Malaysian village known as Dobbstown.

"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs
whitewater's Avatar whitewater
08-28-2006, 06:29 AM

Bob from My Own Private Idaho imo.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:29 AM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1001

Bob from My Own Private Idaho imo.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
kangaroo
09-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonatedgravy View Post
Maybe he's asking Bob Lazar for help. He had a little to do with Area 51.(supposedly)
Bob Lazar, a scientist with degrees in physics and electronics, claims to have worked for the U.S. Government on projects involving captured alien space craft. Originally a technician at Los Alamos, he was recruited into a secret group based at S-4, ten miles south of the mysterious area 51 at Groom Lake, Nevada.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonatedgravy View Post
Maybe he's asking Bob Lazar for help. He had a little to do with Area 51.(supposedly)
Bob Lazar, a scientist with degrees in physics and electronics, claims to have worked for the U.S. Government on projects involving captured alien space craft. Originally a technician at Los Alamos, he was recruited into a secret group based at S-4, ten miles south of the mysterious area 51 at Groom Lake, Nevada.
anubis639
09-06-2006, 08:27 PM

bob marley? and maybe the dave floating away is dave matthews?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #25
On Probation

bob marley? and maybe the dave floating away is dave matthews?
pops333
09-17-2006, 02:21 PM

Its Bob Lazar, a guy who claimed to work at Area 51 and to have worked on reverse engineering UFO technology.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Its Bob Lazar, a guy who claimed to work at Area 51 and to have worked on reverse engineering UFO technology.
pops333
09-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post

I should have read this post. I think this is probably who they are referring to because of all the references to aliens and area 51.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Quote:

I should have read this post. I think this is probably who they are referring to because of all the references to aliens and area 51.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
09-20-2006, 08:43 PM

"good morning, i'm dr. watson. how are you today?"
"bob, help me!" ??? dr. robert watson. ???

and so you don't hafta click anywhere, here you go:
(source: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...the_messenger/ )

It's not easy getting international scientists to agree about anything. Meteorologists look at the world differently than geologists, and developing countries have different agendas than industrial nations. But Robert Watson, an American born in England, practically invented the process of getting the world's scientists to work together. In the 1980s, he persuaded researchers to combine their efforts to study damage to the ozone layer. And as chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, he brought the same skills to bear on global warming. In 2001, the panel issued a landmark study endorsed by 120 nations. Its simple but devastating conclusion: Human beings have already caused the planet to heat up significantly, and it is likely to get worse. The study found that the Earth's temperature will likely rise as much as ten degrees by 2100, and that sea levels will rise as much as thirty-five inches.
The Bush administration responded by killing the messenger. After the study appeared, ExxonMobil sent a memo to the White House lobbying for Watson to be removed from the United Nations panel. A few months later, Watson was unceremoniously replaced with a less outspoken representative. "The Bush administration axed him because they saw him as too effective," says Michael Oppenheimer, a geosciences professor at Princeton University. "The world is poorer for not having Bob in this kind of role."

Not that the ouster silenced him. As chief scientist for the World Bank, Watson is on the road almost half of every year, working with developing nations to cut their greenhouse-gas emissions and to raise awareness about climate-related threats posed by widespread disease and flooding. "There could be a lot of lives lost and people being displaced," says Watson, 56. And despite being a target of the Bush administration, he notes that Democrats in Congress have also refused to impose mandatory targets to curb greenhouse gases. "What if tomorrow morning President Bush decided he wanted to move to targets -- would Congress approve it?" he asks. "The answer is most certainly no."

----------------------
the "bob, help me!" lyric may be about this guy. delve and discuss.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #28
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

"good morning, i'm dr. watson. how are you today?"
"bob, help me!" ??? dr. robert watson. ???

and so you don't hafta click anywhere, here you go:
(source: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...the_messenger/ )

It's not easy getting international scientists to agree about anything. Meteorologists look at the world differently than geologists, and developing countries have different agendas than industrial nations. But Robert Watson, an American born in England, practically invented the process of getting the world's scientists to work together. In the 1980s, he persuaded researchers to combine their efforts to study damage to the ozone layer. And as chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, he brought the same skills to bear on global warming. In 2001, the panel issued a landmark study endorsed by 120 nations. Its simple but devastating conclusion: Human beings have already caused the planet to heat up significantly, and it is likely to get worse. The study found that the Earth's temperature will likely rise as much as ten degrees by 2100, and that sea levels will rise as much as thirty-five inches.
The Bush administration responded by killing the messenger. After the study appeared, ExxonMobil sent a memo to the White House lobbying for Watson to be removed from the United Nations panel. A few months later, Watson was unceremoniously replaced with a less outspoken representative. "The Bush administration axed him because they saw him as too effective," says Michael Oppenheimer, a geosciences professor at Princeton University. "The world is poorer for not having Bob in this kind of role."

Not that the ouster silenced him. As chief scientist for the World Bank, Watson is on the road almost half of every year, working with developing nations to cut their greenhouse-gas emissions and to raise awareness about climate-related threats posed by widespread disease and flooding. "There could be a lot of lives lost and people being displaced," says Watson, 56. And despite being a target of the Bush administration, he notes that Democrats in Congress have also refused to impose mandatory targets to curb greenhouse gases. "What if tomorrow morning President Bush decided he wanted to move to targets -- would Congress approve it?" he asks. "The answer is most certainly no."

----------------------
the "bob, help me!" lyric may be about this guy. delve and discuss.
09-20-2006, 08:50 PM

Bob is a very generic name. It's possible that during the trip, the song, that he had a friend that he calls Bob with him and he is telling Bob to help him. Also, Bob could have been the man who dropped him off at the hospital. Being that the line "Bob help me" is near the end of the song, as in the end of the story, and closer to the present in which the song is presented.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #29
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Bob is a very generic name. It's possible that during the trip, the song, that he had a friend that he calls Bob with him and he is telling Bob to help him. Also, Bob could have been the man who dropped him off at the hospital. Being that the line "Bob help me" is near the end of the song, as in the end of the story, and closer to the present in which the song is presented.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
09-20-2006, 09:32 PM

to defend my theory, and just because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
"did someone drop him off, maybe we can speak to them? let's get some background on this fellow."

"no i.d., nothing, and he won't speak to anybody."

unless, of course, you meant that he was "dropped off" by the e.t. named "bob". but, then again, i tried to put myself into this story - picturing a confused-as-fuck individual (because i'm thinking the guy is NOW capable of using more than the average "less than 10%" of his brain) looking up to whatever he can grab a hold of (something simple, a visual cornerstone) and seeing a "hi, my name is bob" tag of his shirt as he's grabbing for clarity in severe anguish. this "help me!" sounds like the response would be something that could determine life from death for this patient.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #30
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

to defend my theory, and just because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
"did someone drop him off, maybe we can speak to them? let's get some background on this fellow."

"no i.d., nothing, and he won't speak to anybody."

unless, of course, you meant that he was "dropped off" by the e.t. named "bob". but, then again, i tried to put myself into this story - picturing a confused-as-fuck individual (because i'm thinking the guy is NOW capable of using more than the average "less than 10%" of his brain) looking up to whatever he can grab a hold of (something simple, a visual cornerstone) and seeing a "hi, my name is bob" tag of his shirt as he's grabbing for clarity in severe anguish. this "help me!" sounds like the response would be something that could determine life from death for this patient.
11-21-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Seems to be a real plausible interpretation of this line, but do you really think someone would remember Bob Lazar while trippin' on acid or whatever other drug? I think not.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Seems to be a real plausible interpretation of this line, but do you really think someone would remember Bob Lazar while trippin' on acid or whatever other drug? I think not.
11-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Maybe the guy's not on any drugs. Maybe he did see what he says happened. It is just a song, after all. Weird shit doesn't necessarily mean it's an influence of drugs. Maybe it's just weird shit.

The Bob Lazar explanation seems appropriate, but who knows.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #32
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694

Maybe the guy's not on any drugs. Maybe he did see what he says happened. It is just a song, after all. Weird shit doesn't necessarily mean it's an influence of drugs. Maybe it's just weird shit.

The Bob Lazar explanation seems appropriate, but who knows.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM

Maybe he was watching Rugrats
Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Maybe he was watching Rugrats
12-05-2006, 08:44 AM

i thought it might be bob weir from the grateful dead since he mentioned them so much in the song. since jerry garcia died he would be the next icon of the dead.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

i thought it might be bob weir from the grateful dead since he mentioned them so much in the song. since jerry garcia died he would be the next icon of the dead.
kangaroo
12-05-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Yea, lookin back on it you're probably right. Ole Bob L. has never came up in any of my previous experimental experiences. I can picture Maynard writing the lyrics as "God help me" and then thinking to himself let me put Bob in there instead. That'll fuck with em'. After all, we are talking about the guy who said "let the rabbits wear glasses; Save our brothers. Can I get an amen".
Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Yea, lookin back on it you're probably right. Ole Bob L. has never came up in any of my previous experimental experiences. I can picture Maynard writing the lyrics as "God help me" and then thinking to himself let me put Bob in there instead. That'll fuck with em'. After all, we are talking about the guy who said "let the rabbits wear glasses; Save our brothers. Can I get an amen".
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
12-06-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Agreed
Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #36
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Agreed
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM

Think about the situation, it seems as though "Bob" is actually a doctor. I don't think his name is really Bob though, think "Robert". I've heard of a famous doctor (or at least I think he is) who Maynard knows of or who has mentioned, his first name was Robert but I do not remember his last. Or maybe this "Robert" guy has studied alien sitings and other things of the sort. Any ideas? I had it once, looked him up on wikipedia and everything just clicked- the stone, Bob, the drug trip, etc.

-David
Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #37
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1142

Think about the situation, it seems as though "Bob" is actually a doctor. I don't think his name is really Bob though, think "Robert". I've heard of a famous doctor (or at least I think he is) who Maynard knows of or who has mentioned, his first name was Robert but I do not remember his last. Or maybe this "Robert" guy has studied alien sitings and other things of the sort. Any ideas? I had it once, looked him up on wikipedia and everything just clicked- the stone, Bob, the drug trip, etc.

-David
12-06-2006, 12:16 PM

Erm... this Doctor Robert idea was actually an interpretation of one of my closer friends actually, kind of remembered this, I'll give him a call sometime and type his thoughts here.
So far on wikipedia I keep finding novelists, but that too could be a clue.

-Dave Dawg
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #38
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Erm... this Doctor Robert idea was actually an interpretation of one of my closer friends actually, kind of remembered this, I'll give him a call sometime and type his thoughts here.
So far on wikipedia I keep finding novelists, but that too could be a clue.

-Dave Dawg
12-07-2006, 10:49 AM

I'm quite sure Bob is in reference to poking fun at the God being named Bob. Instead of sayig God help me, he says Bob help me. Quit over analyzing it you people with your research into the million and one different Bobs and Roberts there are in the world that may have one microscopic shred of something in common with the subject matter.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #39
Level 12 - Scurrilous

I'm quite sure Bob is in reference to poking fun at the God being named Bob. Instead of sayig God help me, he says Bob help me. Quit over analyzing it you people with your research into the million and one different Bobs and Roberts there are in the world that may have one microscopic shred of something in common with the subject matter.
12-08-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
How about this- you do what you think is right, and I'll do the same, that way we'll have both perspectives to view and discuss.

And his last name was Wilbert. Dr. Robert Wilbert.
There's a couple with that name though, right now I'm just trying to find the one that my friend was referring to- the one who studied UFO sightings and the many theories, for and against alien life.

But just so I'm not "over analyzing" it, how about... ok, we discovered this rosetta stone and it helped us read some ancient language or whatever. Basically another view of this song would be that- what he's saying while he's on these drugs is completely factual, just encrypted like what we found on this stone, but- he is the rosetta stone in a way, and just like the stone, he is what translates a "stoner's" thoughts/words into regular dialect which would be sober talk. But how is encryptic speech/writing translated? Well, he's talking to a doctor, because the doctor was the most logical pick, so he can translate the message, and the message just so happens to have alien obduction references. So that's pretty blunt in a way... Maynard did say this album would be more easier to understand but I don't trust that that's all there is to this phenominal music.

But another view that would link to my own "quick" interpretation is of our own perspective. It could be that WE as the observers aren't very sober, it was discussed in quantum physics how we only use a small fraction of what we really have to observe, learn and percieve something, no matter how simple it is.
In other words, this monitor you're looking at right now is probably just a big piece of trimitorium placed in a hollow niagalic box... but what is that? Trimitorium? niagalic box? We don't know, why? Cause we can't see that in complex objects let alone, the simple ones; we can't see it. So in a way, this guy who was supposedly talking about aliens most likely wasn't, according to this theory. But with the way we are so unable to understand most of which surrounds us in our very own living space, "alien" describes all of that which we do not see/understand but what is actually there.

Drugs can enhance your ability to see these certain things, and people call it "trips" or "hallucinations". In a way they are, especially when you have that drunken aura around your head that presses on your forehead when you lay down. So all in all, I think this is about something alien, but nothing like what he really said where David floated away, but something more subliminal... in other words, this guy had a trip we could only dream of, something so good that allowed him to be the rosetta stone to decode reality as it really is.

This of course is just thoughts, my own and when I listen to the song it's what I think about and it just makes it so much more fun to listen to, so don't take this as "THIS IS WHAT THE SONG'S ABOUT YOU SHIT" but as "ever think of it this way?"
Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #40
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
How about this- you do what you think is right, and I'll do the same, that way we'll have both perspectives to view and discuss.

And his last name was Wilbert. Dr. Robert Wilbert.
There's a couple with that name though, right now I'm just trying to find the one that my friend was referring to- the one who studied UFO sightings and the many theories, for and against alien life.

But just so I'm not "over analyzing" it, how about... ok, we discovered this rosetta stone and it helped us read some ancient language or whatever. Basically another view of this song would be that- what he's saying while he's on these drugs is completely factual, just encrypted like what we found on this stone, but- he is the rosetta stone in a way, and just like the stone, he is what translates a "stoner's" thoughts/words into regular dialect which would be sober talk. But how is encryptic speech/writing translated? Well, he's talking to a doctor, because the doctor was the most logical pick, so he can translate the message, and the message just so happens to have alien obduction references. So that's pretty blunt in a way... Maynard did say this album would be more easier to understand but I don't trust that that's all there is to this phenominal music.

But another view that would link to my own "quick" interpretation is of our own perspective. It could be that WE as the observers aren't very sober, it was discussed in quantum physics how we only use a small fraction of what we really have to observe, learn and percieve something, no matter how simple it is.
In other words, this monitor you're looking at right now is probably just a big piece of trimitorium placed in a hollow niagalic box... but what is that? Trimitorium? niagalic box? We don't know, why? Cause we can't see that in complex objects let alone, the simple ones; we can't see it. So in a way, this guy who was supposedly talking about aliens most likely wasn't, according to this theory. But with the way we are so unable to understand most of which surrounds us in our very own living space, "alien" describes all of that which we do not see/understand but what is actually there.

Drugs can enhance your ability to see these certain things, and people call it "trips" or "hallucinations". In a way they are, especially when you have that drunken aura around your head that presses on your forehead when you lay down. So all in all, I think this is about something alien, but nothing like what he really said where David floated away, but something more subliminal... in other words, this guy had a trip we could only dream of, something so good that allowed him to be the rosetta stone to decode reality as it really is.

This of course is just thoughts, my own and when I listen to the song it's what I think about and it just makes it so much more fun to listen to, so don't take this as "THIS IS WHAT THE SONG'S ABOUT YOU SHIT" but as "ever think of it this way?"

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply