Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Stereo
04-22-2015, 01:08 AM

I did a quick search but I didn't see this particular theory so hi.

Theory: Wings for Marie (Part 1) is Maynard's mother's life up until the stroke - the song ends on the stroke, but her life continues, just as Part 2 continues for another 5 minutes.

Just to cover existing ground, the main point of interest is the nearly-matching times.
On the MP3 copy I am listening to, the 3 songs are 6:13.5 (Part 1) + 5:02.9 (23) => 11:15.9 (Part 2) - this adds up to just an extra half second between Wings for Marie & Viginti Tres if you played them in sequence.
At around 6:00 on Wings for Marie, there's a single 'gong' and the song fades out.

Next, biographical information. I hope this is reasonably accurate. Judith Marie Keenan was born November 22nd, 1943. She died on June 18, 2003. Approximately 27 1/2 years before that, the titular 10,000 days, she suffered a debilitating stroke. If it were exactly 10,000 that would make it January 31st, 1976. The other detail I can find is that it happened when Maynard was 11, which means between April 1975 and April 1976.

If you consider 'Part 2' to be the whole of her life, that means 675.9 seconds for 59 years. On that scale, the gong in Wings for Marie occurs at 360 seconds - placing it at August 15, 1975, or 10170 days before her death. Noting that '360 seconds' is +- a half second or so, which translates to about 15 days either way, this does seem remarkably close to the 'fitting' time, although I don't know the real date.

What I now feel is a red herring is that she would have been 32 at this time, reversing the usual '23'. It's where I started thinking about why the parts add up at the lengths they do, since the title of Viginti Tres translates to 23, but it's a big stretch.

This would put Maynard's birth at 3:51 in Wings for Marie, as a point of interest - it doesn't seem to be significant, it is in the instrumental interlude that falls between the lyrics "What have I done to be worthy? / Day light dims leaving cold fluorescence." On 10,000 days it falls between "Guide you safely on your way, your way home / What are they gonna do when the lights go down?" - the second line begins right around 3:51, but doesn't seem significant.

The other lyric point of interest is Part 2 - at the 5:40 mark, Maynard has sung "give me my, give me my wings", and it goes into an instrumental until 7:30 or so when he repeats that line - which is around when Maynard graduated high school, but again, very much stretching to reach that conclusion.

Anyway, that's my justification for the "Wings For Marie & Viginti Tres played in order, simultaneously with 10,000 Days" fingerquote 'hidden track' - a 3-part tribute to Maynard's mother. What do you think?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Wings for Marie + 10,000 Days + Viginti Tres

I did a quick search but I didn't see this particular theory so hi.

Theory: Wings for Marie (Part 1) is Maynard's mother's life up until the stroke - the song ends on the stroke, but her life continues, just as Part 2 continues for another 5 minutes.

Just to cover existing ground, the main point of interest is the nearly-matching times.
On the MP3 copy I am listening to, the 3 songs are 6:13.5 (Part 1) + 5:02.9 (23) => 11:15.9 (Part 2) - this adds up to just an extra half second between Wings for Marie & Viginti Tres if you played them in sequence.
At around 6:00 on Wings for Marie, there's a single 'gong' and the song fades out.

Next, biographical information. I hope this is reasonably accurate. Judith Marie Keenan was born November 22nd, 1943. She died on June 18, 2003. Approximately 27 1/2 years before that, the titular 10,000 days, she suffered a debilitating stroke. If it were exactly 10,000 that would make it January 31st, 1976. The other detail I can find is that it happened when Maynard was 11, which means between April 1975 and April 1976.

If you consider 'Part 2' to be the whole of her life, that means 675.9 seconds for 59 years. On that scale, the gong in Wings for Marie occurs at 360 seconds - placing it at August 15, 1975, or 10170 days before her death. Noting that '360 seconds' is +- a half second or so, which translates to about 15 days either way, this does seem remarkably close to the 'fitting' time, although I don't know the real date.

What I now feel is a red herring is that she would have been 32 at this time, reversing the usual '23'. It's where I started thinking about why the parts add up at the lengths they do, since the title of Viginti Tres translates to 23, but it's a big stretch.

This would put Maynard's birth at 3:51 in Wings for Marie, as a point of interest - it doesn't seem to be significant, it is in the instrumental interlude that falls between the lyrics "What have I done to be worthy? / Day light dims leaving cold fluorescence." On 10,000 days it falls between "Guide you safely on your way, your way home / What are they gonna do when the lights go down?" - the second line begins right around 3:51, but doesn't seem significant.

The other lyric point of interest is Part 2 - at the 5:40 mark, Maynard has sung "give me my, give me my wings", and it goes into an instrumental until 7:30 or so when he repeats that line - which is around when Maynard graduated high school, but again, very much stretching to reach that conclusion.

Anyway, that's my justification for the "Wings For Marie & Viginti Tres played in order, simultaneously with 10,000 Days" fingerquote 'hidden track' - a 3-part tribute to Maynard's mother. What do you think?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
TheChosenOne's Avatar TheChosenOne
07-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Tool hides the album and band name in the letters of the song names on each album so you just spell out tool 10000days with the songs by rearranging the songs you also have to align the song names properly with one another so anyways its not actually named viginti tres its "twenty three" when you are finding the letters in the songs it wont work until you translate it to english the Y in twentY three is the Y in days

I can tell you the tracklist if you want (actually i already posted this in the 10,000 days section)

And if you think a little abstractly you will see the alternate tracklist tell a story about what happened to the chosen one but the thing about viginti tres is its more closely relayed to faaip de oiad than maynards mom like the voice is supposed to be the voice of god

But if you want to spend 6 years figuring it out your self like i did i dont want to ruin that for you

So let me know if you want to know more
Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: Wings for Marie + 10,000 Days + Viginti Tres

Tool hides the album and band name in the letters of the song names on each album so you just spell out tool 10000days with the songs by rearranging the songs you also have to align the song names properly with one another so anyways its not actually named viginti tres its "twenty three" when you are finding the letters in the songs it wont work until you translate it to english the Y in twentY three is the Y in days

I can tell you the tracklist if you want (actually i already posted this in the 10,000 days section)

And if you think a little abstractly you will see the alternate tracklist tell a story about what happened to the chosen one but the thing about viginti tres is its more closely relayed to faaip de oiad than maynards mom like the voice is supposed to be the voice of god

But if you want to spend 6 years figuring it out your self like i did i dont want to ruin that for you

So let me know if you want to know more
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply