opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 02. Prison Sex
User Name
Password
Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
in the tool issue of revolver it says maynard

was touched in his naughty parts as a child

and theres a direct quote of him saying "this song is about getting fucked in the ass as a child"
Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: in the tool issue of revolver it says maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by imonlysleeping View Post
was touched in his naughty parts as a child

and theres a direct quote of him saying "this song is about getting fucked in the ass as a child"
Gosh, really! i always though this song has this meaning, but that's it's pretty direct... i mean now i feel bad for him.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

also pretty much implies that this is one song which is forever retired from live play... that and wings
Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emericana View Post
also pretty much implies that this is one song which is forever retired from live play... that and wings
Don't forget about Ticks.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Hasn't everyone always known the true meaning of this song? Isn't the video evidence enough? Hell, the title clues you in to the dick in the ass, and the video clues you in to sexual abuse. I don't think it needed clarifying, and if Maynard did state this, it was more because of the fact that those who don't know the band well enough always misinterpret the song as some **** anthem or taboo sex reference.

And when was Prison Sex retired? Adam teased the song by making the scratching noises on the strings when Tool played Pensacola this very year, but they never actually went into it. Ticks in Leeches was never retired - it was never even in rotation. Maynard threw out his voice for 3 weeks (I think...don't crucify me if it was less/more time) when he recorded it. Maynard vowed to NEVER play it live.....but the band actually has a handful of times to reward a really great audience or to cap off a near-perfect set. I think Tool played it on the Lateralus tour in Birmingham, AL because they played through a rain storm and noone left. Maynard instructed everyone in the crowd to get naked and swing their clothes in the air, and they obeyed. Tool later posted that it was the best show of the tour - perhaps the reason why Ticks and Leeches was played.

Speaking of rare live songs, what about Third Eye? Only a couple of my friends have ever heard this song live. Have Maynard's Dick or No Quarter ever been performed live? I was hoping that No Quarter would be played at last years bonnaroo, because John Paul Jones was there - JPJ ended up playing the song with Gov't Mule instead. Bah! I wouldn't have traded anything for seeing Tom Morello on stage during Lateralus.....
Old 05-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

I shouldn't be responding to my own post, but....

I found one of my answers on a different thread. This site might list how many times Tick n leeches, third eye, etc. have been played.

Norfleet wrote: "distortiononline.com has a great big list of nearly every show tool has done, and most of these have the setlists with them. They've actually played Maynard's Dick live twice, a long long long time ago. Actually, only once; One time was supposedly just a "tease" after Intolerance. At least that's what I remember reading anyways..."
Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

uhm, they'll probably never play prison sex, or wings live again.

3rd eye was played quite a bit live in their earlier years.. hell it was their opener in their 97 tour.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Handles View Post
uhm, they'll probably never play prison sex, or wings live again.

3rd eye was played quite a bit live in their earlier years.. hell it was their opener in their 97 tour.
Correct. Third Eye was played live many times. And, yes, Tool played No Quarter live at least once. I've heard the concert demo.

As for Ticks, I have been under the impression it has never been played live -- at least not in its entirety with Maynard's vocal accompaniment. If it has been played live, I'd like to see the proof. Also, I'm jealous of the lucky bastards who witnessed it.

Finally, I agree with some of the others: Maynard's comments in the the Revolver issue made it seem pretty clear to me that Prison Sex and the Wings/10,000 Days duo won't be played live again. As for Adam teasing into Prison Sex ... yes, I heard him do that myself on this last tour. But that can't be counted as playing the song live. I think it's safe to say, based on the comments in Revolver, it's probably been retired.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6xuoZcabUU

youtube is just an amazing thing. funny listening to the morons u can hear while maynard is talking in the beginning
Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
Don't forget about Ticks.
Well, that's only because of the strain it puts on his voice, not a personal reason like the other two.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post

youtube is just an amazing thing. funny listening to the morons u can hear while maynard is talking in the beginning
I thought they had played that live at least once or twice but he regretted it afterwards
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post

Awesome. Thanks.

I hate it when d-bags talk during a show. It really ruined Wings for me both times I saw them on this tour. I don't blame them for not playing it in the future.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

I don't understand why they can't play Ticks and Leeches... I don't think Maynard necessarily has to scream for that song... But I don't much like the distortion he uses on his voice, though it may sound different live.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
I don't understand why they can't play Ticks and Leeches... I don't think Maynard necessarily has to scream for that song... But I don't much like the distortion he uses on his voice, though it may sound different live.
I have heard it live and he does use a lot of the distortion from the microphone but he does still have to scream and stress his voice at a lot of points in the song.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I have heard it live and he does use a lot of the distortion from the microphone but he does still have to scream and stress his voice at a lot of points in the song.
I still don't think its necessary for him to scream for the song live... It would be different, but I'm sure they could work something out. I know the band loves playing that song.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
I still don't think its necessary for him to scream for the song live... It would be different, but I'm sure they could work something out. I know the band loves playing that song.
*shrug* ....aww, how cute...you're actually playing nice.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Prison sex true meaning will only be known by Maynard. It is about being fucked in the ass

Last edited by skargyle; 09-30-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 07-24-2019, 03:22 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: