Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
Metalgod666's Avatar Metalgod666
11-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Yes this week "The Pot" has topped the US Mainstream rock charts...

your thoughts?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11
Tool's first #1 single

your thoughts?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mjkajdcjc's Avatar mjkajdcjc
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Not surprised.

These guys span their albums out over 3-5 years, so that their fans will jump all over the new stuff and buy it up fast.

This song and "Vicarious" are the most accessible songs from a very challenging album, so I'm not surprised that THIS song got to No. 1, especially when my 45 year old mother runs around the house singing, "You must have been HHHIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHH!!!"
Old 11-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3208
Re: Tool's first #1 single

Not surprised.

These guys span their albums out over 3-5 years, so that their fans will jump all over the new stuff and buy it up fast.

This song and "Vicarious" are the most accessible songs from a very challenging album, so I'm not surprised that THIS song got to No. 1, especially when my 45 year old mother runs around the house singing, "You must have been HHHIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHH!!!"
InsolentBystander
11-18-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkajdcjc View Post
Not surprised.

Lol. My mother's into some of the other stuff I listen to (NIN, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, etc.) but I can't get her to appreciate Tool.

I'm actually quite surprised "The Pot" got to number one.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkajdcjc View Post
Not surprised.

Lol. My mother's into some of the other stuff I listen to (NIN, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, etc.) but I can't get her to appreciate Tool.

I'm actually quite surprised "The Pot" got to number one.
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
11-18-2006, 07:05 AM

nice work tool.

now....

give me a vicarious video. thanks

-nj
Old 11-18-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

nice work tool.

now....

-nj
Hannibal's Avatar Hannibal
11-19-2006, 11:14 AM

I'm actually quite shocked, because I consdered Vicarious a more accessible single than The Pot. Either way...it's still pretty bitchin for them to take number 1.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 144

I'm actually quite shocked, because I consdered Vicarious a more accessible single than The Pot. Either way...it's still pretty bitchin for them to take number 1.
11-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Cool, I think The Pot is probably the easiest song to get into IMO, for one it's in 4:4, and it's a much catchier song than most of their stuff.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Cool, I think The Pot is probably the easiest song to get into IMO, for one it's in 4:4, and it's a much catchier song than most of their stuff.
11-19-2006, 01:24 PM

I almost wish it wasn't as accessible or catchy. All of the reviews for the album before it came out said that it was probably the catchiest song tool has ever made. I hope a lot of people don't get into the band for that one song.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #7

Bincount™: 10

I almost wish it wasn't as accessible or catchy. All of the reviews for the album before it came out said that it was probably the catchiest song tool has ever made. I hope a lot of people don't get into the band for that one song.
arcane
11-20-2006, 02:34 PM

I'm happy for them. I think they deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. When old fans get pissed off about 'new' fans, it's only the former who'll lose out. I try to get more people to get into Tool whenever I can. They have talent that needs to be shared - sure, not everyone will truly understand their genius, and those that are there just for the trend, will miss out on everything else Tool have to offer.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I'm happy for them. I think they deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. When old fans get pissed off about 'new' fans, it's only the former who'll lose out. I try to get more people to get into Tool whenever I can. They have talent that needs to be shared - sure, not everyone will truly understand their genius, and those that are there just for the trend, will miss out on everything else Tool have to offer.
El Shaggy's Avatar El Shaggy
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM

The end is near! oh yea and Tool is scrapping all the work on the vicarious video and now shooting a video for "The Pot". Please allow at least 6 months for news on a possible release date for the video.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

The end is near! oh yea and Tool is scrapping all the work on the vicarious video and now shooting a video for "The Pot". Please allow at least 6 months for news on a possible release date for the video.
SpiralReflection
11-20-2006, 10:25 PM

Lateralus: better album
XMDays: better singles (for radio)
Old 11-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Lateralus: better album
XMDays: better singles (for radio)
CrownOfNegativity's Avatar CrownOfNegativity
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM

Good for them. Maybe more people will give their music a chance.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 84

Good for them. Maybe more people will give their music a chance.
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
11-23-2006, 12:43 AM

Ha! Cool. I wonder what Maynard thinks about all this.

And if there is gonna be a video for this...
Old 11-23-2006, 12:43 AM   #12
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Ha! Cool. I wonder what Maynard thinks about all this.

And if there is gonna be a video for this...
11-23-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger View Post
That's a good point. But "Schism" and "Vicarious" were their biggest songs, and those guys change time signatures practically every second.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger View Post
That's a good point. But "Schism" and "Vicarious" were their biggest songs, and those guys change time signatures practically every second.
EssnayRepXTamEt's Avatar EssnayRepXTamEt
11-25-2006, 04:32 PM

Which chart exactly did they top?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

mjkajdcjc's Avatar mjkajdcjc
11-25-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssnayRepXTamEt View Post
WOW!!!

Not the gay ass computer game either....
Old 11-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssnayRepXTamEt View Post
WOW!!!

Not the gay ass computer game either....
morethanmusic
11-25-2006, 10:07 PM

cool
Old 11-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #16
On Probation

cool
Metalgod666's Avatar Metalgod666
11-25-2006, 10:34 PM

Supposedly they have the top spot again this week (according to echoingthesound.org's forums) but Billboard hasn't updated yet so I can't confirm it.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Supposedly they have the top spot again this week (according to echoingthesound.org's forums) but Billboard hasn't updated yet so I can't confirm it.
Chronicle0's Avatar Chronicle0
12-04-2006, 08:52 AM

yo tonight's the billboard award show[on fox?]. someone watch it and post if Tool won anything.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

yo tonight's the billboard award show[on fox?]. someone watch it and post if Tool won anything.
Pablo's Avatar Pablo
12-08-2006, 03:12 AM

Question from the UK - Does that mean they have sent out a promo CD to Radio / Press / Colleges etc... in order for it to achieve this or can songs get there off album play?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Question from the UK - Does that mean they have sent out a promo CD to Radio / Press / Colleges etc... in order for it to achieve this or can songs get there off album play?
Metta Synth's Avatar Metta Synth
12-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane View Post

I agree about the old fans getting pissed off....you see that alot with die hard fans of almost anything, music, art, etc. whatever, it's almost as if the "old" die hard fans feel like they in a way possess the music they love so much, and anyone elese that catches on later isn't worthy...

But regardless, good for Tool getting a #1 hit, and who cares if its the catchiest song they ever wrote or that maybe some people are only here for the trend...it's still a badass song compared to everything else on the rock charts...it definetely gives me a little more faith for the music idustry knowing that Tool is on top right now
Old 12-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane View Post

I agree about the old fans getting pissed off....you see that alot with die hard fans of almost anything, music, art, etc. whatever, it's almost as if the "old" die hard fans feel like they in a way possess the music they love so much, and anyone elese that catches on later isn't worthy...

But regardless, good for Tool getting a #1 hit, and who cares if its the catchiest song they ever wrote or that maybe some people are only here for the trend...it's still a badass song compared to everything else on the rock charts...it definetely gives me a little more faith for the music idustry knowing that Tool is on top right now
12-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notregistered View Post
Fuck that. Either they'll grow into liking Tool for deeper reasons thereafter or they'll let the CD gather dust once the catchiness has worn away. In the case of the latter the guys in the band will have already gotten the money and thus be incited to record yet more music.

A Tool CD purchased cannot be a bad thing, regardless of the outcome, in my opinion.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by notregistered View Post
Fuck that. Either they'll grow into liking Tool for deeper reasons thereafter or they'll let the CD gather dust once the catchiness has worn away. In the case of the latter the guys in the band will have already gotten the money and thus be incited to record yet more music.

A Tool CD purchased cannot be a bad thing, regardless of the outcome, in my opinion.

Harrymanfeet
12-09-2006, 04:48 PM

altho I'm VERY happy for them I think the only time the words single and tool should be in the same sentence is an infomercial selling all in one socket wrenches but b4 ppl get offended I just must say I love TOOL they're my fav. band and have put out some amazing pieces of art I, however, am not happy with "The Pot" I don't really like the song...srry...
Old 12-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Location: Somewhere Far Below The Mines Of The Superstition Mountains

altho I'm VERY happy for them I think the only time the words single and tool should be in the same sentence is an infomercial selling all in one socket wrenches but b4 ppl get offended I just must say I love TOOL they're my fav. band and have put out some amazing pieces of art I, however, am not happy with "The Pot" I don't really like the song...srry...
12-10-2006, 07:54 AM

Maynard said on the last interview something about being disconnected with their fans like they don´t have anything in common anymore and i think this is because the huge popularity Tool has in these days and the amount of new fans coming into Tool who doesnt quite get it, they are so worried about what others think of Tool about how many others listen to Tool about respect sales etc..This band is about ur own experience and what it makes u feel
Old 12-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Maynard said on the last interview something about being disconnected with their fans like they don´t have anything in common anymore and i think this is because the huge popularity Tool has in these days and the amount of new fans coming into Tool who doesnt quite get it, they are so worried about what others think of Tool about how many others listen to Tool about respect sales etc..This band is about ur own experience and what it makes u feel
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
12-17-2006, 07:22 PM

For anyone wondering, I think the most recent news on the Billboard ranking is that The Pot was at #1 for four weeks and just dropped to #2.

Congratulations to TOOL!!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #24
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

For anyone wondering, I think the most recent news on the Billboard ranking is that The Pot was at #1 for four weeks and just dropped to #2.

Congratulations to TOOL!!
12-18-2006, 04:48 AM

after 4 albums and an EP and now they get their break when they're all near mid-40s...haha those kiddies are gonna get shocked to know that the band thats playing this brilliant music aint their usual indie haired emo-thinking fashionable dressing band...

CONGRATS TO TOOL!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:48 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

after 4 albums and an EP and now they get their break when they're all near mid-40s...haha those kiddies are gonna get shocked to know that the band thats playing this brilliant music aint their usual indie haired emo-thinking fashionable dressing band...

CONGRATS TO TOOL!!!
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
12-18-2006, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgod666 View Post

your thoughts?
where's teh Vicarious video?

LOL
Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #26
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgod666 View Post

your thoughts?
where's teh Vicarious video?

LOL
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
12-18-2006, 01:19 PM

Iota... I just noticed the motion in your display image... After having looked at it for nearly a month (or more) *chuckles* Sometimes I'm so unobservant.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Iota... I just noticed the motion in your display image... After having looked at it for nearly a month (or more) *chuckles* Sometimes I'm so unobservant.

SpiralReflection
12-18-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak View Post
Don't record sales indicate a decrease in popularity?

Ænima certified triple platinum, Lateralus is right around 2.3 million give or take, and XMDays is pulling in 10k a week at 1.3 million. I don't see any great surge in XMDays' sales, before too long it will probably fall off the Billboard 200 and it may be years before it reaches double platinum.

Judging by the reviews and general luke-warm reception of XMDays, I don't think it's going to make people rush out and buy Lateralus or Ænima. Lateralus probably helped Ænima push past that 3 million mark.

Tool has been "popular" for a while now, it's not an overnight thing or a jump from underground to mainstream.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak View Post
Don't record sales indicate a decrease in popularity?

Ænima certified triple platinum, Lateralus is right around 2.3 million give or take, and XMDays is pulling in 10k a week at 1.3 million. I don't see any great surge in XMDays' sales, before too long it will probably fall off the Billboard 200 and it may be years before it reaches double platinum.

Judging by the reviews and general luke-warm reception of XMDays, I don't think it's going to make people rush out and buy Lateralus or Ænima. Lateralus probably helped Ænima push past that 3 million mark.

Tool has been "popular" for a while now, it's not an overnight thing or a jump from underground to mainstream.
Lebowski Urban Achiever
12-21-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. nikki jensen est 1986 View Post
nice work tool.

now....

-nj
Haha. I agree! I'm getting impatient/anxious...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. nikki jensen est 1986 View Post
nice work tool.

now....

-nj
Haha. I agree! I'm getting impatient/anxious...
pork chops's Avatar pork chops
12-21-2006, 10:57 AM

it's sad to me that of all the good music that tool has put out over the years, their most nauseating song ever tops the charts. this disappoints me as a music fan and as a tool fan.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #30
Banned.

Bincount™: 10891

it's sad to me that of all the good music that tool has put out over the years, their most nauseating song ever tops the charts. this disappoints me as a music fan and as a tool fan.
12-21-2006, 02:41 PM

Is it any surprise that the catchiest, most 'grooving' (in the commercial sense, that is) song they've ever released was their best received by mainstream consumers?

Pull your head out and give a listen. What's the fucking shock here?

Frankly, as soon as I heard the leaked album from the net I was shocked to hear that Vicarious was the single and not The Pot.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #31
Level 8 - Vociferous

Is it any surprise that the catchiest, most 'grooving' (in the commercial sense, that is) song they've ever released was their best received by mainstream consumers?

Pull your head out and give a listen. What's the fucking shock here?

Frankly, as soon as I heard the leaked album from the net I was shocked to hear that Vicarious was the single and not The Pot.

flipmojo's Avatar flipmojo
12-28-2006, 04:13 PM

If you are just getting into Tool, here's a heads up... THEY DON'T GEAR SUCCESS TOWARDS RECORD SALES AND SINGLE POPULARITY. They leave that to all the tools on MTV making music.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
Old 12-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

If you are just getting into Tool, here's a heads up... THEY DON'T GEAR SUCCESS TOWARDS RECORD SALES AND SINGLE POPULARITY. They leave that to all the tools on MTV making music.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
12-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Yeah, but trust me, when they write a good song that happens to be very catchy, they don't just sit there and say, "We need to make this more artful and get rid of that catchiness that it has."

So what if some of their songs are catchy? Good. And, 'The Pot' is by far and away the catchiest song they've ever recorded/released. It's no surprise that it is their first #1 single.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah, but trust me, when they write a good song that happens to be very catchy, they don't just sit there and say, "We need to make this more artful and get rid of that catchiness that it has."

So what if some of their songs are catchy? Good. And, 'The Pot' is by far and away the catchiest song they've ever recorded/released. It's no surprise that it is their first #1 single.

DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
12-28-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pork chops
i say the situation is deserving and meritory.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 PM   #34
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pork chops
i say the situation is deserving and meritory.
ChipperJones
12-29-2006, 05:48 AM

The best song on the album is also the catchiest, and it's a number one single. That's pretty damn cool. I hear this song on the radio, and I say FUCK yes.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:48 AM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

The best song on the album is also the catchiest, and it's a number one single. That's pretty damn cool. I hear this song on the radio, and I say FUCK yes.
ToolKlouD's Avatar ToolKlouD
02-06-2007, 07:34 PM

can you say next led zepplin/pinkfloyd?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

02-07-2007, 06:50 AM

no...
Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #37
Banned.

no...
Inbleach's Avatar Inbleach
02-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolKlouD View Post
I can say Tool will be inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame in about 10 more years....
Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolKlouD View Post
I can say Tool will be inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame in about 10 more years....
Divine_left's Avatar Divine_left
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM

It's probably ironic on some level. somewhere.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #39
Porn Starchitect

Bincount™: 8645

It's probably ironic on some level. somewhere.
02-07-2007, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I would agree that they are the Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin of our day. Plus 20 years of rock and roll evolution and progressive thought.

Hall of famers for sure.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah, I would agree that they are the Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin of our day. Plus 20 years of rock and roll evolution and progressive thought.

Hall of famers for sure.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply