Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Kody27
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLuckFistFuck View Post
Sorry for interrupting your guys' talk, I just want to point out something about The Outsider which came to my mind some time ago. Basically I love that song because Maynard managed to combine two different layers of meaning here (Is this correct language? I hope so ^^)
No. 1, the more obvious interpretation: The outsider is he who is sung about, being an outsider and hence comitting suicide.
No. 2, the more album related interpretation: Now the outsider is the one talking in this song, watching someone who thinks he's all famous and everything destroy himself with coke, heroin or whatever. In this case, each intoxication is 'one bullet at a time'. Lacking skills in English language, that's as deep as I'll get in this, but i guess you got the idea.
Both interpretations can be applied and I'm pretty sure that this is the case intentionally.

Don't know if it's even new to anyone, but I couldn't fiind it in this thread.
That's pretty cool considering you don't know english that well, i couldn't tell and i'm not being sarcastic. I remember watching the outsider video with maynard's commentary, he said no one got what he was trying to portray so he just said fuck it, let's make a bikini bandits video. He said he wanted people to realize that the song is not about the person with the problem, but the person on the outside, duh, looking at someone with a problem but not understanding, or trying to understand what's going on. Instead, the healthy person looks on at the troubled human like nothing is happening and ignores the problem completely, blaming it on the person. I could be wrong in my interpretation obviously, but i thought i'd give it a shot nonetheless.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #441
On Probation

Bincount™: 7
Re: The Thirteenth Step.

Quote:
Sorry for interrupting your guys' talk, I just want to point out something about The Outsider which came to my mind some time ago. Basically I love that song because Maynard managed to combine two different layers of meaning here (Is this correct language? I hope so ^^)
No. 1, the more obvious interpretation: The outsider is he who is sung about, being an outsider and hence comitting suicide.
No. 2, the more album related interpretation: Now the outsider is the one talking in this song, watching someone who thinks he's all famous and everything destroy himself with coke, heroin or whatever. In this case, each intoxication is 'one bullet at a time'. Lacking skills in English language, that's as deep as I'll get in this, but i guess you got the idea.
Both interpretations can be applied and I'm pretty sure that this is the case intentionally.

That's pretty cool considering you don't know english that well, i couldn't tell and i'm not being sarcastic. I remember watching the outsider video with maynard's commentary, he said no one got what he was trying to portray so he just said fuck it, let's make a bikini bandits video. He said he wanted people to realize that the song is not about the person with the problem, but the person on the outside, duh, looking at someone with a problem but not understanding, or trying to understand what's going on. Instead, the healthy person looks on at the troubled human like nothing is happening and ignores the problem completely, blaming it on the person. I could be wrong in my interpretation obviously, but i thought i'd give it a shot nonetheless.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Kody27
04-11-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
That's more what Maynard said about Blue, man.
Yeah I know, the kid that won the video contest nailed it with that one. But think about it, blue, weak and powerless, the outsider, they're pretty much the same song substance with slightly different points of view. Hey kind of like adam's guitar playing right?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #442
On Probation

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
That's more what Maynard said about Blue, man.
Yeah I know, the kid that won the video contest nailed it with that one. But think about it, blue, weak and powerless, the outsider, they're pretty much the same song substance with slightly different points of view. Hey kind of like adam's guitar playing right?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody27 View Post
Like the new avatar. Used to love that movie as a kid.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #443
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody27 View Post
Like the new avatar. Used to love that movie as a kid.
04-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Good post, neighbor.

A recommendation on my account: listen to the "Inside Thirteen Steps Radio Interview" on the official APC site. Its's under "music".
Old 04-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #444
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:

Good post, neighbor.

A recommendation on my account: listen to the "Inside Thirteen Steps Radio Interview" on the official APC site. Its's under "music".

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply