Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
Cold Fluorescence
04-26-2006, 09:05 AM

10,000 days is actually December of 1978. Bin Laden the antichrist? Wow... just wow! I'm no christian, but even I know that's ridiculous. Perhaps Bin Laden was actually attacking the antichrist. Hmmm...
Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: "10000 days in the fire is long enough..."

10,000 days is actually December of 1978. Bin Laden the antichrist? Wow... just wow! I'm no christian, but even I know that's ridiculous. Perhaps Bin Laden was actually attacking the antichrist. Hmmm...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mousersix
04-26-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panocha21
I think this song is about George Bush earning his wings as a pilot. They denied him when he was in the airforce, they will not anymore! Give the man his wings!
well played.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I think this song is about George Bush earning his wings as a pilot. They denied him when he was in the airforce, they will not anymore! Give the man his wings!
well played.
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svet-am
bin Laden is not and never has been anything anywhere on the scale of the Anti-Christ. Sure, he's a terrorist...but he's only a terrorist mastermind, not one who is actually willing to lay his own life down for the ideals he espouses. If bin Laden was so fervent about what he believes, he would've been ON one of the planes on September 11, 2001.

To say bin Laden is greater than he actually is is simply to play into his delusion of grandeur.
perhaps, but this is the wrong forum for that.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svet-am
bin Laden is not and never has been anything anywhere on the scale of the Anti-Christ. Sure, he's a terrorist...but he's only a terrorist mastermind, not one who is actually willing to lay his own life down for the ideals he espouses. If bin Laden was so fervent about what he believes, he would've been ON one of the planes on September 11, 2001.

To say bin Laden is greater than he actually is is simply to play into his delusion of grandeur.
perhaps, but this is the wrong forum for that.
04-26-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosis
To tell you the truth, the first image that came to mind was Hamlet (yes, Shakespeare).

When the Ghost speaks to Hamlet, he speaks of the fires of purgatory burning away a lifetime of sins.

In this case, 10,000 days of purgatory before the soul is sent home (i.e. cleansed of their sins, and go to Heaven).

Mind you, that's not really applicable to this song, as she wasn't dead, but it's just an image.
Well, she is dead now, and given the concept of Karma, each lifetime is exactly what you describe- a purgatory for the cleansing of the soul. Her Karmic burden was to be paralyzed, and to endure that painful existence for 10,000 days. This song sounds like a meditation directing energy towards Judith's after-death Enlightenment. Maynard feels like she suffered long enough, and now she can return to her spiritual home, which is the same home for all of us (since, after all, "we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion").

On this album, Maynard is using more Sufi imagery as opposed to the Vedic imagery of the past albums. 'Angels' as the enlightened state of man, and 'monkeys' as the creature that man was before he was "inspired" with the Divine spark....
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #44
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosis
To tell you the truth, the first image that came to mind was Hamlet (yes, Shakespeare).

When the Ghost speaks to Hamlet, he speaks of the fires of purgatory burning away a lifetime of sins.

In this case, 10,000 days of purgatory before the soul is sent home (i.e. cleansed of their sins, and go to Heaven).

Mind you, that's not really applicable to this song, as she wasn't dead, but it's just an image.
Well, she is dead now, and given the concept of Karma, each lifetime is exactly what you describe- a purgatory for the cleansing of the soul. Her Karmic burden was to be paralyzed, and to endure that painful existence for 10,000 days. This song sounds like a meditation directing energy towards Judith's after-death Enlightenment. Maynard feels like she suffered long enough, and now she can return to her spiritual home, which is the same home for all of us (since, after all, "we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion").

On this album, Maynard is using more Sufi imagery as opposed to the Vedic imagery of the past albums. 'Angels' as the enlightened state of man, and 'monkeys' as the creature that man was before he was "inspired" with the Divine spark....
Help people, you lazy bum
BlackBoxBuster
04-26-2006, 11:20 AM

wasn't 27 the age of Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain and Janis Joplin when they died?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

wasn't 27 the age of Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain and Janis Joplin when they died?
kylebubp
04-26-2006, 12:18 PM

When they came to Knoxville in November, he said "Thank".
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

When they came to Knoxville in November, he said "Thank".
Tone Loc's Avatar Tone Loc
04-26-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
rofl, I just spit water on my keyboard at work.
5/15/2006 -- Fox Theatre, Detroit, MI | 9/21/2006 -- Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
6/17/2007 -- Roberts Stadium, Evansville, IN | 6/29/2007 -- U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
Old 04-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
rofl, I just spit water on my keyboard at work.
5/15/2006 -- Fox Theatre, Detroit, MI | 9/21/2006 -- Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
6/17/2007 -- Roberts Stadium, Evansville, IN | 6/29/2007 -- U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
Triangular_Vision's Avatar Triangular_Vision
04-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filter
It's simple really. The tool album is released in 2006. It's entitled 10,000 days, about 27 years right, simple arithmetic: 2006+27 equals 2033, the Gregorian calendar marks two dates in Christian belief that are most important, Good Friday and Easter; in 2033 coming exactly 2000 years after Christ was crucified and resurrected. So now we must wait patiently in this fire that we vicariously live by (refer back to vicarious). In the hope and faith that Jesus and the Mehdi speak.

I thought the guy that went 27 years back to 1979 gave it a good go. Somehow his is more immediate contentwise with the whole Iran thing.

i want to hear more about this.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #48
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
It's simple really. The tool album is released in 2006. It's entitled 10,000 days, about 27 years right, simple arithmetic: 2006+27 equals 2033, the Gregorian calendar marks two dates in Christian belief that are most important, Good Friday and Easter; in 2033 coming exactly 2000 years after Christ was crucified and resurrected. So now we must wait patiently in this fire that we vicariously live by (refer back to vicarious). In the hope and faith that Jesus and the Mehdi speak.

I thought the guy that went 27 years back to 1979 gave it a good go. Somehow his is more immediate contentwise with the whole Iran thing.

Chris_Brightwell's Avatar Chris_Brightwell
04-26-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangular_Vision
Why? He's completely off the mark.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #49
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangular_Vision
Why? He's completely off the mark.
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
04-26-2006, 06:03 PM

Jmk's own personal hell she lived with, until her death. As for the word " fire " of course it's hell ...but those are mjk's feelings, she was deep into her faith so i'm sure "counted her blessings" as they say.

tool lives !!!!!!!
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #50
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

Jmk's own personal hell she lived with, until her death. As for the word " fire " of course it's hell ...but those are mjk's feelings, she was deep into her faith so i'm sure "counted her blessings" as they say.

tool lives !!!!!!!
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
guanche001's Avatar guanche001
04-30-2006, 03:59 AM

You're all wrong...
27 years ago there was a movie made about the real savior! This movie perfectly explains the reason for maynards' resent towards christianity.. or so it seems... Check it out, you probably know the movie in your uncontious:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/

06-08-06: Dusseldorf (DU), Philipshalle
06-29-06: Werchter (BE), Rock Wercheter
06-01-02: Nijmegen (NL), Ozzfest
Old 04-30-2006, 03:59 AM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

You're all wrong...
27 years ago there was a movie made about the real savior! This movie perfectly explains the reason for maynards' resent towards christianity.. or so it seems... Check it out, you probably know the movie in your uncontious:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/

06-08-06: Dusseldorf (DU), Philipshalle
06-29-06: Werchter (BE), Rock Wercheter
06-01-02: Nijmegen (NL), Ozzfest
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
04-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder
I went to one of the concerts during the Thirtheenth Step Tour and he definitely said "fuck Your God"... Perhaps this change was only there on the lohner remixes...who knows.
He says fuck your god on my album
Old 04-30-2006, 04:23 AM   #52
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder
I went to one of the concerts during the Thirtheenth Step Tour and he definitely said "fuck Your God"... Perhaps this change was only there on the lohner remixes...who knows.
He says fuck your god on my album
fulmination
04-30-2006, 03:57 PM

Go listen to Jimmy on Aenima. It's been 10,000 days (give or take) since 1975 - when he was "11"... That's when he waved goodbye to "her". He strayed away from all that she believed then. Coincidently, Saturn's orbit (see "the grudge" - "Saturn comes back around") is around 29.4 years - thus, this cycle is completed and he is wide awake and heading home - whereas "she" is now dead and has gone home - 10,000 days since he strayed, now he's wide awake and heading home - although he has a different perspective of the divine than her, she nevertheless showed him that it is possible to "be" divine (10,000 days lyrics: "Who could deny you were the one who illuminated my piece of the divine"). I won't say more than this - keep digging.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

Go listen to Jimmy on Aenima. It's been 10,000 days (give or take) since 1975 - when he was "11"... That's when he waved goodbye to "her". He strayed away from all that she believed then. Coincidently, Saturn's orbit (see "the grudge" - "Saturn comes back around") is around 29.4 years - thus, this cycle is completed and he is wide awake and heading home - whereas "she" is now dead and has gone home - 10,000 days since he strayed, now he's wide awake and heading home - although he has a different perspective of the divine than her, she nevertheless showed him that it is possible to "be" divine (10,000 days lyrics: "Who could deny you were the one who illuminated my piece of the divine"). I won't say more than this - keep digging.
kyyuulle's Avatar kyyuulle
04-30-2006, 04:11 PM

this song is about jimi hendrix, janis joplin, kurt cobain and jim morisson

the 27 year old curse

:: looks around ::

:: giggles ::

:: walks out of thread ::
Old 04-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

this song is about jimi hendrix, janis joplin, kurt cobain and jim morisson

the 27 year old curse

:: looks around ::

:: giggles ::

:: walks out of thread ::
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum
It's his about his mom in the wheelchair for 27 years. End of discussion.

Exactly, she (Judith) lived for 10,000 days of hell (in the fire) being paralyzed. Perhaps he is referring to himself as living for 10,000 days of hell having to watch his mother like that.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum
It's his about his mom in the wheelchair for 27 years. End of discussion.

Exactly, she (Judith) lived for 10,000 days of hell (in the fire) being paralyzed. Perhaps he is referring to himself as living for 10,000 days of hell having to watch his mother like that.
intoxic8
05-01-2006, 03:57 PM

i duno y everyone is findign this song so hard to interpret it's written very simply.

its a eulogy for his mum - in everyway
its slow paced, even though its 12 mins long- there are the atmospheric thunder sounds.
thelyrics are plain and simple, the fire symbolizes suffering of course, i don't know why everyone needs to refer to purgatory on earth or whatever.
i don't see any political connections what so ever.

judith is my least favourite MJK song in the world - but i understand that the theme is similar to that of 10,000 days, it's just that the 'fuck your god' line is lame imo- but it's cool that some of you dig it.

the style in which the lyrics are written is cool, he 'suspends his belief', since i think he doesnt actually believe in the christian heaven and shit but he does so to make the story work.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #56
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

i duno y everyone is findign this song so hard to interpret it's written very simply.

its a eulogy for his mum - in everyway
its slow paced, even though its 12 mins long- there are the atmospheric thunder sounds.
thelyrics are plain and simple, the fire symbolizes suffering of course, i don't know why everyone needs to refer to purgatory on earth or whatever.
i don't see any political connections what so ever.

judith is my least favourite MJK song in the world - but i understand that the theme is similar to that of 10,000 days, it's just that the 'fuck your god' line is lame imo- but it's cool that some of you dig it.

the style in which the lyrics are written is cool, he 'suspends his belief', since i think he doesnt actually believe in the christian heaven and shit but he does so to make the story work.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-01-2006, 04:16 PM

I think it's about Nard's mom... her suffering for 10,000 days during a stroke... but, was she religious or something? Where do these Biblical references come from?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

I think it's about Nard's mom... her suffering for 10,000 days during a stroke... but, was she religious or something? Where do these Biblical references come from?
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
Did you bother to read the rest of the thread, or did you just hit reply?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #58
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
Did you bother to read the rest of the thread, or did you just hit reply?
scar's Avatar scar
05-01-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia

indeed.
"she never told a lie. well, might have told a lie, but never lived one." and maybe even, "Judith Marie, unconditional one." those seem to sum it up, if you haven't taken a chance to absorb the seventeen minutes and thirty-two seconds of eulogistic beauty that is so obviously directed to his mother. a peek into his reality. 10,000 days in hell on earth i.e. "the Fire." is long enough. your going home.
you know, now that i think about it. probably not even "hell on earth," but definitely daily struggles and trials and tribulation, and all of that which stemmed from the paralyzed state.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #59
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia

indeed.
"she never told a lie. well, might have told a lie, but never lived one." and maybe even, "Judith Marie, unconditional one." those seem to sum it up, if you haven't taken a chance to absorb the seventeen minutes and thirty-two seconds of eulogistic beauty that is so obviously directed to his mother. a peek into his reality. 10,000 days in hell on earth i.e. "the Fire." is long enough. your going home.
you know, now that i think about it. probably not even "hell on earth," but definitely daily struggles and trials and tribulation, and all of that which stemmed from the paralyzed state.
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
05-02-2006, 03:00 PM

as someone else pointed out "the fire" could also be a reference to purgatory, which is said, in some versions, to be a fire that burns away your sins.. and you spend however long it takes in purgatory until you're purged, and only then you can ascend to heaven.. so he's bascially saying, "ok you've been in purgatory for 10,000 days, you can go straight on up."

and lol @ smeefsmeef.. wait.. that *was* supposed to be a joke, right? :p
Old 05-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #60
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

as someone else pointed out "the fire" could also be a reference to purgatory, which is said, in some versions, to be a fire that burns away your sins.. and you spend however long it takes in purgatory until you're purged, and only then you can ascend to heaven.. so he's bascially saying, "ok you've been in purgatory for 10,000 days, you can go straight on up."

and lol @ smeefsmeef.. wait.. that *was* supposed to be a joke, right? :p
05-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
That's an interesting interpretation I hadn't considered. Good one.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
That's an interesting interpretation I hadn't considered. Good one.
arcane
05-06-2006, 08:40 AM

I completely agree that the 'fire' is purgatory. I think Maynard is describing his Mother's death on earth as happening from the moment she became paralysed. 'Eleven and she was gone. Eleven is when we waved good-bye' - she 'died' and went to purgatory when he was 11, spent 10, 000 days there and as bogsnarth explained, then she ascended. Her real death took her straight to heaven.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #62
Level 4 - Thinker

I completely agree that the 'fire' is purgatory. I think Maynard is describing his Mother's death on earth as happening from the moment she became paralysed. 'Eleven and she was gone. Eleven is when we waved good-bye' - she 'died' and went to purgatory when he was 11, spent 10, 000 days there and as bogsnarth explained, then she ascended. Her real death took her straight to heaven.
Spectrix's Avatar Spectrix
05-06-2006, 10:19 PM

You all are talking as if you know he's talking about his mother for sure. Did you ever stop to think that there are other things he might have meant by it? Think about what Tool talks about in all the albums..it's a spiritual type of guidance in a way. If you where in a band that has as many fans as Tool would you write most of your music about your mom....or would you make it aimed more towards the audience that's listening? If I was in his position I would probably write a song about my mom, but I wouldn't base my most awaited album of all time around it.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #63
Level 4 - Thinker

You all are talking as if you know he's talking about his mother for sure. Did you ever stop to think that there are other things he might have meant by it? Think about what Tool talks about in all the albums..it's a spiritual type of guidance in a way. If you where in a band that has as many fans as Tool would you write most of your music about your mom....or would you make it aimed more towards the audience that's listening? If I was in his position I would probably write a song about my mom, but I wouldn't base my most awaited album of all time around it.
05-07-2006, 01:02 AM

Are you serious? He says her name - that's a pretty big hint.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I don't think I fully buy this yet...because I don't think Tool is going to be telling me about the second coming...but still, interesting thought nonetheless.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #65
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Interesting. I don't think I fully buy this yet...because I don't think Tool is going to be telling me about the second coming...but still, interesting thought nonetheless.
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane
Hmm, QFE.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #66
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Hmm, QFE.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
05-07-2006, 01:15 AM

The song is about Maynards mother and her suffering, but being such a good person nonetheless. He shows his love and apprecciation for everything that she did. "Give me my wings" is so awesome lyrically, because it's Maynard's way to say that she was an angel all the time (word play I guess) and now she has got the right to have her "wings" along with the ability to move. Maybe Maynard in the past was bad to her because of her religion but now he is accepting it or something like that. Nonetheless, the title is also refering to something anybody said, I read it at Wikipedia, but it seems like they've taken it out.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #67
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

The song is about Maynards mother and her suffering, but being such a good person nonetheless. He shows his love and apprecciation for everything that she did. "Give me my wings" is so awesome lyrically, because it's Maynard's way to say that she was an angel all the time (word play I guess) and now she has got the right to have her "wings" along with the ability to move. Maybe Maynard in the past was bad to her because of her religion but now he is accepting it or something like that. Nonetheless, the title is also refering to something anybody said, I read it at Wikipedia, but it seems like they've taken it out.
b0dah
05-07-2006, 01:16 AM

The year 2033 (MMXXXIII) :

Predicted events

* In accordance with traditional values that Jesus was born in 1 BC or 1 AD, Good Friday and Easter of 2033 will be two of the most historic days for Christianity, marking the 2000th year since Jesus the Christ was crucified and resurrected.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #68
Level 2 - Poster

The year 2033 (MMXXXIII) :

Predicted events

* In accordance with traditional values that Jesus was born in 1 BC or 1 AD, Good Friday and Easter of 2033 will be two of the most historic days for Christianity, marking the 2000th year since Jesus the Christ was crucified and resurrected.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
05-07-2006, 01:51 AM

Holy focking shit.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #69
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Holy focking shit.
Chris_Brightwell's Avatar Chris_Brightwell
05-07-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrix
You all are talking as if you know he's talking about his mother for sure.
And you're talking like you know something I don't.

I'm dying to hear it.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:53 AM   #70
meh.

Quote:
You all are talking as if you know he's talking about his mother for sure.
And you're talking like you know something I don't.

I'm dying to hear it.
Starblue's Avatar Starblue
05-07-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloe41800
when i heard this and read the lyrics i assumed the fire refered to being in hell

yeah me too
she suffered for 27 years being being paralyzed so I guess maynard thought that was hell

So I just insert hell in place of fire for it's meaning

"10000 days in the hell is long enough..."

Last edited by Starblue; 05-07-2006 at 06:06 AM..
Old 05-07-2006, 06:03 AM   #71
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloe41800
when i heard this and read the lyrics i assumed the fire refered to being in hell

yeah me too
she suffered for 27 years being being paralyzed so I guess maynard thought that was hell

So I just insert hell in place of fire for it's meaning

"10000 days in the hell is long enough..."

Last edited by Starblue; 05-07-2006 at 06:06 AM..
arcane
05-07-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPOGOx
Hmm, QFE.
Meaning?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #72
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPOGOx
Hmm, QFE.
Meaning?
Spectrix's Avatar Spectrix
05-07-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Meaning?
QFE -

An acronym for Quoted for Emphasis, it's used to help drive a point home to someone who's fairly dimwitted. Also used when someone makes an exceedingly good point, and people want to make sure that it gets across. Usually seen used in internet forums.

They're saying I'm wrong..I just don't want to believe it.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #73
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Meaning?
QFE -

An acronym for Quoted for Emphasis, it's used to help drive a point home to someone who's fairly dimwitted. Also used when someone makes an exceedingly good point, and people want to make sure that it gets across. Usually seen used in internet forums.

05-07-2006, 03:07 PM

This song ranks right up there with Ænema as being extremely straightforward. Seriously, having such a debate over the meaning of the song, or even something as simple as the refrence to fire in the song seems kind of silly.

It's already been said, but for some reason at very great length. "10,000 days in the fire is long enough, You're going home!" It basically translates into "27 years of being in a paralyzed and otherwise overwhelming state of helplessness, get your ass up to heaven and kick God in the nuts". Perhaps not that brutal of a definition, but really that's it in a nutshell.

Yes, it's a beautiful song, and to sit here debating whether it's about Bin Laden, Bush, the "real" Hell, the Anti-christ, whatever is just dumb, and practically ruins the beauty of this song. Really, it isn't complicated at all, and acting like it is will get you nowhere.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #74
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

This song ranks right up there with Ænema as being extremely straightforward. Seriously, having such a debate over the meaning of the song, or even something as simple as the refrence to fire in the song seems kind of silly.

It's already been said, but for some reason at very great length. "10,000 days in the fire is long enough, You're going home!" It basically translates into "27 years of being in a paralyzed and otherwise overwhelming state of helplessness, get your ass up to heaven and kick God in the nuts". Perhaps not that brutal of a definition, but really that's it in a nutshell.

Yes, it's a beautiful song, and to sit here debating whether it's about Bin Laden, Bush, the "real" Hell, the Anti-christ, whatever is just dumb, and practically ruins the beauty of this song. Really, it isn't complicated at all, and acting like it is will get you nowhere.
05-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Its like 12 minutes of driving rain with the base just driving the song. At first, it annoyed me to not be able to hear maynard with my 3 and 5 year olds bothering me but then got the chance to listen to it by myself and fell in love. What ever it is about doesn't matter to me but I do think he is letting himself "believe" in a god again. Fun stuff but probably the last tool album.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Its like 12 minutes of driving rain with the base just driving the song. At first, it annoyed me to not be able to hear maynard with my 3 and 5 year olds bothering me but then got the chance to listen to it by myself and fell in love. What ever it is about doesn't matter to me but I do think he is letting himself "believe" in a god again. Fun stuff but probably the last tool album.
scar's Avatar scar
05-07-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSolstice

INFUCKINGDEED!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #76
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSolstice

INFUCKINGDEED!!!
05-07-2006, 05:53 PM

i agree, maybe it is time for you to see how U relate to this song other than to think what is it about?

move by will alone...
Old 05-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

i agree, maybe it is time for you to see how U relate to this song other than to think what is it about?

move by will alone...
Mike Okherts
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM

"10,000 days in the fire is long enough", is definitly a reference to the time his mother spent confined to a wheelchair, dealing with the tragic effects of a brain aneurysm. There is no need to read into every song so deep, some things are right on the surface.

Last edited by Mike Okherts; 05-08-2006 at 12:59 AM..
Old 05-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #78
Level 2 - Poster

"10,000 days in the fire is long enough", is definitly a reference to the time his mother spent confined to a wheelchair, dealing with the tragic effects of a brain aneurysm. There is no need to read into every song so deep, some things are right on the surface.

Last edited by Mike Okherts; 05-08-2006 at 12:59 AM..
arcane
05-08-2006, 03:20 AM

Quote:
QFE -

Ok, thanks.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:20 AM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
QFE -

Ok, thanks.
moneyisevil's Avatar moneyisevil
05-08-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell
Well I used to just say, "He changed the lyrics," but I've been challenged on that and unable to verify it one way or the other.

I know for a fact that it was changed in the Lohner remix for Underworld and aMOTIOn. I also know that the shows I saw in 2004 featured the changed lyrics.

However, I do not know if he changed those lyrics during every performance of the Thirteenth Step tour. I'd dig through APC.net, but Skwerl's media stash is down for now. That's on my list of things to do once it's back up.
i have a bunch of concerts from the 13th step tour, and not once in the ones i have does he say "thank your god"...and as far as the lohner mix....that mix was out wayyyyy before emotive and lohner just used the "edited" version of the song that appeared on music channels....also when apc would perform the song on tv (leno etc. ) the nard would always say "thank" just to self censor.....
Old 05-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #80
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell
Well I used to just say, "He changed the lyrics," but I've been challenged on that and unable to verify it one way or the other.

I know for a fact that it was changed in the Lohner remix for Underworld and aMOTIOn. I also know that the shows I saw in 2004 featured the changed lyrics.

However, I do not know if he changed those lyrics during every performance of the Thirteenth Step tour. I'd dig through APC.net, but Skwerl's media stash is down for now. That's on my list of things to do once it's back up.
i have a bunch of concerts from the 13th step tour, and not once in the ones i have does he say "thank your god"...and as far as the lohner mix....that mix was out wayyyyy before emotive and lohner just used the "edited" version of the song that appeared on music channels....also when apc would perform the song on tv (leno etc. ) the nard would always say "thank" just to self censor.....

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply