opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/12/05 - Stuttgart, GER - Porsche Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: 2006/12/05 - Stuttgart, GER - Porsche Arena

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

5th show for the year, 2nd for the European Fall/Winter Tour...

Well this show was quite an improvement from the Munich show a couple of weeks ago...and this applied to the band's performance, sound, and the kickass venue that is the Porsche Arena! Seriously, I've been to quite a few shows in many a venue, but the staff there were probably the friendliest and most courteous I have encountered in quite awhile!

In terms of the show...Maynard probably wasn't in the best of moods (i.e. didn't say much at all, no jokes, etc) but he sure had the goods (apart from the climax in Vicarious which he curiously omitted once again). I positioned myself nice and early dead center on the front barrier of the mixing area (where I got to spot Mr. Justin Chancellor watching Mastodon's monotonous aural assault): wise choice. The sound was FANTASTIC...if anyone spotted a guy in a white RATM shirt, rockin out, fist in the air...you probably saw me. The crowd, although somehwat subdued in my vicinity, I felt was definitely livelier and more responsive than the lackluster Munich bunch--Maynard didn't have to say 'wake the fuck up'. And oh man, I'm so glad no one had the ill-conceived notion to clap along to Wings/10k Days this time...although there were a few whistles...oh well, i'll just attribute that to Germans who don't necessarily follow the meaning of a song that's not in their native language.

Seriously though, if I felt that song was incredible the 1st time I saw it...I think I was definitely more overwhelmed by it this time around...it might have had to do with how the sound was mixed (Maynard's vocals were crystal clear) from where I was positioned...but...fuck...I felt that song in my chest, and it left me gasping. I didn't even know how to react afterwards...was just left with goosebumps & a tear in my eye. I wasn't alone, as a few feet away from me, someone actually collapsed just before the song ended...

Following the gems that were wings/10k days was Lateralus...and what can I say about that?? I really think that should be the song to close their shows, and that way leave the crowd in sensory orgasm. And Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned was another masterful performance!

and how could I not mention...SWAMP SONG. Fucking hell...I had not witnessed Tool live before this year so I don't have a basis for comparison to how they sounded 'back in the day'...but if that's how tight they were, I'd be creaming my pants for the past decade and a half too. They were fucking surgical on that song, no less. It was a great moment because they started using the house LCD screens also, as the scoreboards above us came to life. Groovy.

So that's how my last European Tool show for the year went down...it was great meeting a couple of people this time around...hope you guys got home alright!

Peace out.

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

haha 'routine' i know what you mean man...where did you end up during the show? did you get good seats or end up around the mixing area?

It was funny spotting Justin...wasn't even sure it was him, because he was wearing glasses, sporting a Detroit camo hoodie, and his hair was tied back...and it was only when he came up to the mixing board itself could I confirm it...

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

There's not much to add to deep_schismic's report.

Mastodon was probably the loudest thing I've ever heard...

Tool gave us a perfect performance of "Lateralus". Yes, PERFECT.
I'm still amazed by the laser/smoke effects during "Wings Pt. 2". You just had to concentrate on the visuals, so the song itself became a soundtrack, sort of. Quite an experience.
Another highlight: "Ænema". Good choice for closing the show.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: