opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/14 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

I'd like to add a couple more things...

For the record, Justin plays Wings/10k Days with a pick. He does not use his fingers like some have previously claimed. Well, at least live he uses a pick.
TO those who think they were thinking about playing RIGHT IN TWO...you might be right, but I seriously doubt they would play a 4 song encore, especially since they haven't played a 4 song encore at ANY show in 2006. I guess we'll never know.

I THINK the visuals shown during Vicarious might be from the music video for the song. Obviously I'm not sure of this.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:03 AM   #42
Level 2 - Poster

fuckbrokers obviously wasnt at the same show as the rest of us :) and why so much hostility man?? like you said its only a couple of rock songs, quit your bitching, no one here wants to hear negative bullshit, and besides, music effects different people in different ways, so witness the beauty however u may and we will all do the same........and all i have to say for this show - GODDAMN. Isis to begin with was great. I hadnt really listned to much of their music, but they do a great job especially live. one of the band members switches between a keyboard and a guitar, added to 2 other guitars, bass, and drums. they do sing but really its a lot of cool instrumental ambiences that surge up and down. i suggest making it to the show early to see them......

on to TOOL.....

these guys are ridiculous. my third show personally and they never fail to bring it. wings/10,000 days is definitly one of their greatest live songs. of course on CD its great, but you have to see them play it live to really do the song justice. same with rosetta, and when they played Lateralus, you could just feel the entire arena bursting with an explosion of energy. i was inspired. Stinkfist, one of my favorites, its a great opener in my opinion, they could open with that every time and i would be happy. great setlist, especially with the new songs from 10,000 days.

Justin is a wicked bass player. Adam shreds (he does a lot of cool shit live that u cant really get on a recording also, his guitar powers into each new song/segment like a macheti just chopping ahead thru silence!). Danny is probably the best drummer ive ever seen, hands down. and he doesnt even flinch!! and maynard, well fuck its maynard. he was great sick or not (didnt seem too sick, but he mentioned he was), and i do believe he sang every note of every song and very well i might add. FUCKIN TOOL

ok i was in section 105 just to the right of the stage and i was doing my thing, rockin out.......about halfway thru 10,000 days some fucking idiot chunked a beer from i guess the second level and it fucking hit me, and a few other people around me as well. what an ass hole. i had no desire to even try to look around to see who it was (since like i said it was mid 10,000 days), but who does that?!?! especially when a beer cost 7 dollars. dipshit. i got my satisfaction as seconds later maynard broke out with "ignorant fibbers in the congregation...." different meaning but still worked for me. spare me.

all in all, other than the beer throwing dumbass from the second level section, there is nothing negative whatsover that can be said about this show in my opinion. they came, we saw, THEY ROCKED OUR ASS. If only there could be more fine musicians like this nowdays......guess we better get to work!!

spiral out motherfucks~

ONE MORE THING.....

the spaced out intro to Vicarious....awsome! i really had no idea where it was headed then suddenly here comes Adam with his blade......

the "intension"-esque intro they expiramented with as well, very cool

AND maynard is sick, probably been drinking a lot of fluids, i think he was serious about his pissing business :)

Last edited by JamesDavid4th; 09-15-2006 at 06:11 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenesque View Post

For the record, Justin plays Wings/10k Days with a pick. He does not use his fingers like some have previously claimed. Well, at least live he uses a pick.
TO those who think they were thinking about playing RIGHT IN TWO...you might be right, but I seriously doubt they would play a 4 song encore, especially since they haven't played a 4 song encore at ANY show in 2006. I guess we'll never know.

I THINK the visuals shown during Vicarious might be from the music video for the song. Obviously I'm not sure of this.
Hmm.

I'm listening to 10,000 Days right now, and he's chicken picking. There's no way he's playing that with a pick.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #44

^Honestly, I thought he used his fingers too, but he definately used a pick for last night's version. I was 20 feet away from him, so it was pretty obvious to me he was using a pick.

Perhaps he uses a pick only for the live version just to get the bassline to stand out a litle more.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:43 AM   #45
Level 2 - Poster

yeah i saw justin using a pick as well, and i think with the whole "eye of the storm" approach to starting the song off quieter and bringing the rockage up as it goes, the pick allows him to better accentuate the bass line "clean and crisp" as opposed to if he was just fingering the bass, i think then it would have sounded too muddy and muttled. as far as the recorded version it doesnt really sound like hes using a pick to me
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #46
c-munky

Bincount™: 14206

Quote:
^Honestly, I thought he used his fingers too, but he definately used a pick for last night's version. I was 20 feet away from him, so it was pretty obvious to me he was using a pick.

Perhaps he uses a pick only for the live version just to get the bassline to stand out a litle more.
he used his fingers (at least for the begining). i was in the front row about 15 feet away.

now the review...

Seat: Section 11, Row A, Seat 7 (front row, about 10 feet from the stage)

This was my third Tool show and my second favorite. I was able to get a front row ticket for face value from a fellow member of www.toolnavy.com (thanks Randie!!!). I have never been this close during a Tool show for and it was awesome.

First things first; the music. As you can see from the set list they mainly played songs from the new album, which is to be expected. I would have liked a little more variety, but it was great seeing the new material live. Highlights for me were 46+2 (which I had never seen live before) and Jambi. They played both flawlessly. I was glad too see Wings/10k Days although the crowd did seem a little bored during it. Maynard was still sick but put on a good show none the less. He didnt hit all of the notes and left out a line or two but still did a damn fine job. Danny killed as usual, as did Justin and Adam. As a bassist it was very cool to be so close to Justin. Watching him play makes me just want to give up because i know I'll never be that good, haha. One of the best parts of the show was near the end. Maynard complained about having to piss. During Aenima he changed the lyrics from "learn to swim" to "got to piss." It added some welcome humor to the performance.

The stage set up was pretty damn cool. They had decent lighting with some lasers. As usual they had some pretty cool videos playing but this time they used the entire stage as a big projection screen. I couldnt see it well from so close up, but its a pretty badass idea. Otherwise, the set up was fairly simple but effective.

Overall is was an excellent show. I give it an A.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I haven't seen anybody mention this Maynardism (and I personally didn't hear it) did anybody else?

"To the guys up front: sorry," (in reference to the lasers and stage floor projections)

I saw this in a Dallas Morning News article online:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.3f4dc8b.html
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 AM   #48

Quote:

The guy I was with managed the setlist and Right in Two was not on it. They played the setlist exactly as it was printed.

I won't spend too much time on a review, a lot of people have already posted their thoughts. Going back and listening to a recording of the show confirms what I thought during the show. Maynard was as tight as he has been in recent years. He will likely never regain his power from pre-1998 however, this was the best show I have seen since. My 8th show and this was likely #3 in terms of overall performance. Justin continues to amaze me, and this time Danny did not steal the show like he did earlier this year at McFarlin. Adam was certainly much better than the mini-tour as was Maynard. Justin and Danny are consistent every single night, you just can't improve upon what they do it seems.

Here are the real quotes so people can stop misquoting:

"F...Y...I... I'm still sick, but I'm here"

"What's up Texas. I'm not from, sorry."

"Let's make this quick I have to piss. I'm not kidding. I'm gonna do half a song then I gotta go. I have to return some video tapes"

"Goodnight."

"Seriously now. I have to piss. I have to piss so bad that if I let it go it'll be like hell's flood in here. I assume you all read your ticket; it said no cameras, but bring an arc in case Maynard pisses"

Then of course the changed up Aenema lyrics. I was laughing my ass off.

I think he really did have to take a piss because he darted off stage when the other members hugged.

Overall the performance was nothing less than stellar. Thanks Tool!

Next time let's hear some Undertow/Aenima songs that we haven't heard in a while. (Undertow, 4 degrees, Flood, Eulogy, Jimmy, Pushit, Third Eye, or H. would be great)

Chad
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #49

First off, let me just say that this was my 4th TOOL show and was not disappointed at all!! We, being my wife, bro and stepson, got to the venue about 6 and waited outside for a bit, just chilling.

Got in, got our merch (got the ISIS octopus shirt which totally kicks ass), grabbed some pizzas and off to the seats. I don't know how many of you were on my side, but the guy that kept yelling was drunk off his ass before we even got in the venue! Good times!! That dude ended up by us in 112 and would start the pre-show yelling to get the crowd going, got to admit, it worked! As soon as ISIS took the stage, the place erupted and I'm sure the boys in the band were pretty stoked about it. They don't talk on stage hardly, do they? And why should they, just let the music do the talking, right? Totally blown away!! I think their new cd is going to do really well from being on this tour. Although, there were a lot of meatheads in the crowd too. Some jock types and just general posers were all around too. I guess you gotta expect it at these big ass arena shows. At one point during TOOL a lot of people were sitting down around us! WTF? I don't get why people pay good money to come to a concert and then just sit the fuck down. Baffles the mind. On to the setlist.

Stinkfist sounded really strong and I liked the maynardism after it: "F.Y.I. I'm still sick, but I'm here, so suck my dick!" Gotta love MJK! The weed smoke in the arena was just all over! I'm not complaining in any way, but I think my stepson had a good buzz going and didn't even know it! Next was The Pot, aptly timed I'd say! The crowd was into it big time, well except the posers who didn't know any words! Next was 46 & 2, if I'm correct in the order of things. I loved the new keyboard intro. It seemed like they were on the experimental side a bit last night, which is always welcome. Next up was Jambi, which totally kills live! I just love the solo from Adam on this one. I love how he got the spotlight for just a moment. I can't remember if it was before schism or not, but they did some halloween sounding droney music as a segue which sounded really evil and cool.
Next up is what I think is the mother lode! Rosetta with the LK intro and the visuals they had on this one were really cool, not really what I expected from reading the newsletter. It seemed like the guy was running down the road but looked like he was in front of a green screen. Still really cool though and all the alien images and the pyramids, really trippy stuff! After they tore through that, I was thinking "come on wings!!!" and sure enough, there it was! I just had this feeling that they would break it out for us since we were the final date of the plagued Tejas run for the boys. I gotta say, I was really moved by watching the boys play this!!! They absolutely killed it! We were very blessed to get this song!! When the boys took their break, you knew that they were loving it!! I know I'm hoarse from yelling so much, especially at this point! Next up was Lateralus and I absolutely love this track. This show was full of highlights and Lateralus is just one of their best songs period! Feel this moment!! After this was Vicarious and I think that some of the visuals were probably from the forthcoming video, but who knows at this point if the video will ever see a release officially. Finally, we have Aenema! I love how MJK changed the lyrics to "got to piss" instead of "learn to swim", gotta love his comedic sense! All in all the show was killer and nothing short of impressive!! I really love the new visuals they put together for this tour. It seems like they revamped a lot from the mini tour. I love how TOOL remain to be a band that can't really be touched by any other band out there. No one does it like TOOL and I'm very fuckin proud to be a TOOL fan! Thanks for the killer show guys!! No La Grange, but fuck it, we got Wings/10,000 days baby!!!!

Yeah, some jackass by us in section 112 threw a beer over us too, dripping on us. Why do fuckheads go to shows? Can't they just stay home and jerk each other off and swallow?

You guys that sat that close to the stage are lucky!! Me being short (5'-7"), I always end up getting the tall fucks in front of me, every show! Oh well, I still had a blast!!!

Very tired today at work while I type this!! :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 AM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

ah yes, and concerts with lazers.......concerts with lazers rock. and the whole stage basically being one big screen, that was very cool too. the megatron with the video images was kind of akward from where i was sitting too because if you wanted to watch them, you had to miss TOOL, and vice versa. if you had seats higher up tho i bet it would have been pretty cool.

p.s. a Hawthorne Heights mention on toolshed?!?!!?!? save that crap thats neither her nor there, though i can agree with you on one thing, EMO sux
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyg View Post
I haven't seen anybody mention this Maynardism (and I personally didn't hear it) did anybody else?

"To the guys up front: sorry," (in reference to the lasers and stage floor projections)

I was Sec 11 Row A Seat 15 (in front of Maynard's nose), I never heard him say this---and all the stage images could be seen on the screens behind them. I could also see the laser drawings in the stage, but they went worth missing the up close experience of seeing Maynard's antics---he's way cooler and and funnier than I thought (and he had badass jeans). He put his ATF back on at the end and popped his collar like Fonzie.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #52

Quote:

Now I will say that it sounds like he's chicken picking the beginning of the song, becasue he's definitely playing two notes at once in a chord. He might switch to a pick after the intro of the song. Yeah, listening now. He switches to a pick. The beginning is chicken picked though.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

Wings 1&2 we're awesome; it made the long trip and sleeping at airports worth it.
This was such a different show from the one at Houston (which I thought was great, since we got to hear slightly different versions of the songs - Right in two was really great ... so if you attended the houston show, consider yourself lucky).

I don't think they were going to play Right in two, that intro is the one they use for Vicarious in houston as well.

Did you guys notice Maynard, during aenema, was arching his legs and grabbing his crotch like he wanted to go to the bathroom real bad? That was funny... He was also trying to peek under Danny's tech robe and even chased him trying to grab his ass.

Overall, the band played great . Thanks for a wonderful evening. See you in San Antonio (hopefully).

Last edited by torreonero; 09-15-2006 at 08:04 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

---EDITED for Mods --- :| I'd like to say this show knocked the small Dallas show and the Woodlands show's dick in the dirt. Best performance I've seen or heard yet this year. He finally hit the end of Vicarious as it was on the album. He's usually an octave below. One thing i'd change if i could, as someone else said, instead of 46&2 or Stinkfist, play H or Eulogy or hell anything else. They did finally drop Sober though, so thats a step in the right direction. Now I gotta find some tickets to the SA show whenever they come back around.

Last edited by Sp00k; 09-15-2006 at 04:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 08:59 AM   #55
Level 3 - Talker

That show totally rocked my face off! Thank you ThirdEye11 (Chad) for selling me that ticket :)

How completely awesome that was. Can't wait to see em again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #56
Level 2 - Poster

Id just like to chime in and say what a unbelievable show this was. This was my 4th time seeing them and the performance was not disappointing. They seemed to play louder and heavier and the way they changed up their songs, even the small changes, was beautliful. I always enjoy the extended Stinkfist, really loved the fast breakdown of Schism when adam walked nearly in front of danny and they were both just straight jamming the intros to some songs was great as well! Even though Maynard did mess up a couple times it didnt make a difference, he owned every one of those songs and he was backed up flawlessly by his band mates. Also I can safely say that Ive never seen an encore with 3 songs, esp with the length of lateralus, vicarious and the unexpected aenima. I was laughing at the ppl that started leaving after lateralus when maynard said "Bye" only to have to rush back in when vicarious started. The new album sounded amazing live and have to thank them for really presenting 10,000 days well, full of emotion. I took a friend of mine who never really listens to TOOL but was eager to go. After each song he would say "goddamn" like he was blown away. Heres to counting down another 5 yrs so that I can see them again. Its fucking worth it.
TOOL=Music=Life
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #57
Level 3 - Talker

Glass half empty half full,

no one will ever interpret the songs or the emotions the same way, which actually is probably how this band likes it anyway.

I read an interview yesterday where Maynard was saying that he'd rather people listen to the music as a whole rather than focus on the intended meaning of the recorded lyrics.

http://www.maximumink.com/articles.php?articleId=1025
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #58
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknofear View Post
Gotta Piss, Gotta Piss, Gotta Piss, Gotta Piss....

This was an amazing show to say the very least. Missed Isis, but that's okay. Section 117, row N. Everyone in the arena seemed to be having a good time, seems the band was feeding off the energy the crowd was exuding, which many in our section were fucking rabid.
He he he....we were sitting right behind you in row O and we were a tad rowdy, at least I was. :) We had a pretty good section.

---------------------

AMAZING SHOW! as Bill would say: "Night and day. NIGHT AND FUCKING DAY!"

This show completely made up for the Houston show, from the security to MJK. I was so happy, I know I was glowing. :) Free parking??!? Where? Damn, we had to pay 10 bucks, but I guess it was no big deal since we are from Austin and know nothing about Dallas. We went in the Houston street entrance. There were all of these people standing in these 2 really long lines for no reason. The lady that worked there kept telling folks that there was no wait in the middle, that all the doors were open and they didn't have to stand in those lines. We walked right up and our line to get in was like 10 people long. The security was so simple: take the stuff out of your pockets, put it in a bucket, walk through the metal detector, pick your stuff up and go. It took us like 3 minutes to get in vs. 40 minutes in Houston. Even the line for beer was less than 5 minutes and they had decent beer.

ISIS wasn't bad. I don't care for the deep growling death metal screams but I did enjoy the music. They remind me of Mogwai, just harder.

TOOL was amazing. Memford was still a little too quiet, or his vocals were turned down, but it was a vast improvement from the other night in Houston. The vibe from the band and the crowd was amazing as well. This was a very good crowd. I usually hate going to Dallas, but I really enjoyed these people. It was such a good show that when the show was over and we were all filing out the door, the crowd kept screaming in merriment. It was a good time.

I was super happy to hear Wings/10,000. It was perfect. I thought that I would cry at some point, but I was just too happy. Jambi was fucking great as was R.S., 46&2 and Aenema. But once again, Lateralus was the highlight of the show for me. They really have it down and that song does something to me. It's a religious experience for me. After Lateralus was over, my friends and I all gave each other a group hug. I even leaned over and hugged the guy in front of us in row N. He was so cute and really into the show. Don't know if I freaked him out, but he hugged back pretty tight...he he he.

The "gotta piss gotta piss gotta piss" was funny. He should have run off the stage after Lateralus to go pee. The band could've messed around for a minute or so.

Anyway, great show. I can't wait for them to come back to S.A. now. I do have to hate on Dallas for a second though. Why in the hell would the city have the exit for I35SE CLOSED when an event like that is getting out? It took us like 30 minutes to find a way around to get on the fucking highway. Poor planning. Poor!

Ok, we're off to Houston tonight to see Massive Attack. woo-hoo.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #59
Level 3 - Talker

Took me a while to post some thoughts on the concert last night but the evening is still very fresh in my mind! I have been attending "rock shows" since I was 14 years old (many years ago) and hundreds of shows. I continue to attend but it is very difficult to impress me unless everything is perfect....the band, the music, the setlist, the stage performance, and most importantly...the sound has to be cyrstal clear. If just one of the previous criteria are missing then it is a bad, waste of time/money concert.

Well...Tool at AAC last night EXCEEDED every aspect and was probably the best show I have ever seen. I was so excited prior to the concert as I have seen Tool a few times in the past including this year's McFarlin Auditorium gig. This time however my 16 year old son and my wife attended and I so wanted "things" to be perfect since I had been telling them that Tool was awesome live for so long.

This week hits and BAM - my wife gets pneumonia and Maynard gets sick and the Houston show and of course San Antonio's postponement lead me to think BAD thoughts.

Maynard erased those concerns singing the first verse of Stinkfist...my wife immediately pushed her ills aside and everything simply got better and better!!

Our seats were AWESOME thanks to my buddy (The Hostels), the sound was crystal clear and incredible allowing us to fully appreciate the musicianship of Tool. The visuals and stage of course were bigger than life yet no at all overpowering the guys in the band. The setlist was near perfect (add Eulogy or The Grudge) and MAYNARD absolutely was completely "on" and powerful. Kudos to him for his toughness in getting out there being sick and then proceeding to blow us away!

Adam one of the greatest guitarist ever plus easily the most intelligent. Justin one of the greatest bassist ever and powerful presence on stage. Danny....o.k. he is now squeeked by Neil Peart as the best drummer ever...Danny's percussion is unbelievable and perfect at all times. Then Maynard simply has it all! Thank you for the INCREDIBLE night.

And by the way, my wife and son made a special trip to Maynard's Vineyard this summer and suprised me by bringing some wine all the way back to Dallas! How cool is that???? Next glass I have will be a toast to TOOL for everything!

Spiral Out.

KC
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #60
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelrabbit23 View Post
He he he....we were sitting right behind you in row O and we were a tad rowdy, at least I was. :) We had a pretty good section.

---------------------

AMAZING SHOW! as Bill would say: "Night and day. NIGHT AND FUCKING DAY!"

This show completely made up for the Houston show, from the security to MJK. I was so happy, I know I was glowing. :) Free parking??!? Where? Damn, we had to pay 10 bucks, but I guess it was no big deal since we are from Austin and know nothing about Dallas. We went in the Houston street entrance. There were all of these people standing in these 2 really long lines for no reason. The lady that worked there kept telling folks that there was no wait in the middle, that all the doors were open and they didn't have to stand in those lines. We walked right up and our line to get in was like 10 people long. The security was so simple: take the stuff out of your pockets, put it in a bucket, walk through the metal detector, pick your stuff up and go. It took us like 3 minutes to get in vs. 40 minutes in Houston. Even the line for beer was less than 5 minutes and they had decent beer.

ISIS wasn't bad. I don't care for the deep growling death metal screams but I did enjoy the music. They remind me of Mogwai, just harder.

TOOL was amazing. Memford was still a little too quiet, or his vocals were turned down, but it was a vast improvement from the other night in Houston. The vibe from the band and the crowd was amazing as well. This was a very good crowd. I usually hate going to Dallas, but I really enjoyed these people. It was such a good show that when the show was over and we were all filing out the door, the crowd kept screaming in merriment. It was a good time.

I was super happy to hear Wings/10,000. It was perfect. I thought that I would cry at some point, but I was just too happy. Jambi was fucking great as was R.S., 46&2 and Aenema. But once again, Lateralus was the highlight of the show for me. They really have it down and that song does something to me. It's a religious experience for me. After Lateralus was over, my friends and I all gave each other a group hug. I even leaned over and hugged the guy in front of us in row N. He was so cute and really into the show. Don't know if I freaked him out, but he hugged back pretty tight...he he he.

The "gotta piss gotta piss gotta piss" was funny. He should have run off the stage after Lateralus to go pee. The band could've messed around for a minute or so.

Anyway, great show. I can't wait for them to come back to S.A. now. I do have to hate on Dallas for a second though. Why in the hell would the city have the exit for I35SE CLOSED when an event like that is getting out? It took us like 30 minutes to find a way around to get on the fucking highway. Poor planning. Poor!

Ok, we're off to Houston tonight to see Massive Attack. woo-hoo.

We were in 116...J, on the aisle next t0 117...great view, great sound...great show! mjk was on, and I feel bad for the Houston/Woodlands folks...Now all we need to do is get San Antonio rescheduled, add 'right in two' to the setlist...and honestly...why not a throwback...I'd die to heare Opiate live AGAIN!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish_it_away View Post
That show totally rocked my face off! Thank you ThirdEye11 (Chad) for selling me that ticket :)

How completely awesome that was. Can't wait to see em again!
Good to see you here and glad you enjoyed the show!! How was your seat? For me I had to choose between the seat I sold you and mine in 116. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have chosen yours because I think despite the distance upwards, you may have been closer to the stage. Oh well I really really enjoyed the performance.

I think from where I was the sound was likely better so I'm still probably happy with where I was, glad you enjoyed it as well.

Chad
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

I was on the floor (left section, row U) and I'm wondering what show you guys were at that you said the security guards were cool. They were complete dickheads in the "pit". Having seats on the floor was a very bad idea, I don't understand why they did that. I went to AAC last August for system of a down and mars volta, and they just checked your wrist band before you entered the floor; there were concert pigs EVERYWHERE checking EVERYONE'S tickets constantly last night. It was ridiculous.

But enough of the bitching. This show was INCREDIBLE.

Wings/10,000 Days was amazing. I couldn't believe they played it.

Lateralus was badass as well.

But I was one of the guys that rushed the stage during Aenima, and that seriously made my fucking night. I have no voice left, and I don't care. It was so awesome being so close to the band like that.

I was the redheaded guy in the hat like ten feet from Adam if anyone remembers.

When they were tossing shit out into the audience, Danny gave Adam one of the drum heads, and Adam told the security guard to give it to this little kid that was at the front. I thought that was really cool.

And then Adam held out his guitar like he was going to toss it and some drunk guy was like "GIVE IT TO ME, OMG TOSS IT HERE ADAM".

"Gotta piss, gotta piss, gotta piss..."

Maynard is so fucking funny. His sense of humor is dry but hilarious.

All in all, this show was amazing. This was my second show (saw them july 23 2002 at ft worth convention center) and definitely the better experience, I think.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #63
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

last night was deff the best experience of my LIFE.
i had 2nd balcony seats at first so i was really worried i wouldnt have a good view but we ended up buying better seats the day-of and giving our other ones to some friends.. section 105 about half way up- right in the middle- amazing view of the stage, the light show, and maynard and adam's faces.
also was really worried about him being sick effecting the quality of our show but it didnt at ALL! he did absolutely amazing.
"got to piss" made me almost die laughing

did anyone else notice that when people had their lighters out they werent JUST using them to show some love? ;-) my roomie being one of them

concidering buying day-of tickets for san antonio show if they are available- any word on when the new date will be?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

I gotta say that this was my first TooL concert and damn! It wasnt easy to see that Maynard was sick, and I gotta say that that was the most amzing thing I've ever seen and I expected no less from the Gods known as TooL.

-TooL
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #65
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye11 View Post
Good to see you here and glad you enjoyed the show!! How was your seat? For me I had to choose between the seat I sold you and mine in 116. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have chosen yours because I think despite the distance upwards, you may have been closer to the stage. Oh well I really really enjoyed the performance.

I think from where I was the sound was likely better so I'm still probably happy with where I was, glad you enjoyed it as well.

Chad
I actually had 3 tickets to the show. 2 in the lower level 104 (to the side of the stage behind Justin) and the 1 in 210. I sat in 210 for almost the entire show, but before the encore I decided to check out the lower seat. I took a dude I met down there with me and rocked out in 104. Both sections were great - the platinum level was great because there was no line for alcoholic beverages :) The lower level was great also because I could really see the band members more clearly.

Anyway, I loved both seats, the show, the music, everything. This concert was the 2nd best I've ever seen! Only a few Phish shows top it to me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

F.Y.I. - If you were at this show and your birthday is April 30, 1979...it was your 10,000th day.

http://www.bonkworld.org/index.php?a..._content&id=45
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyg View Post

The guy that wrote this review obviously doesn't know anything about music.

I have seen Tool close to a dozen times. I took my Fiancee to her first Tool show last night and she has a new found love for Tool. After the show she admitted she liked them a little before the show but they are now one of her favorite bands. Might I add that I'm trying to wing her away from Country.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #68
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575

It was an alright show, I guess.

I was too stoned to remember ISIS, so I don't know about them.

As for Tool:
I didn't realize how bad the set list truly was until I heard it live. There were no epic songs (other than WFM/XKD). It was all singles-and rather boring ones at that. The Lateralus songs were absolutely beautiful, but when they played the 10,000 Days songs, I found myself becoming terribly bored-to the point that I actually sat down during Jambi.

As for Maynard:
Horrible. It seems as if Maynard has read so many reviews bashing on how he used to perform that he has forced himself to normalize, if you will. He wore jeans, no shirt, and a cowboy hat. He remained standing the entire time (not just standing-but that arrogant rock star stance). If I wanted to see a standard rock star, I would have caught the Godsmack/Rob Zombie concert a few weeks ago. When I see Maynard, I want to see him in his underwear, cross-dressed, painted, or curled into a ball letting lose. I want to feel what he's singing. Last night I didn't.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good show and all; sounded good, looked decent, I guess. It just wasn't... Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneOnceAgain97 View Post

As for Tool:
I didn't realize how bad the set list truly was until I heard it live. There were no epic songs (other than WFM/XKD). It was all singles-and rather boring ones at that. The Lateralus songs were absolutely beautiful, but when they played the 10,000 Days songs, I found myself becoming terribly bored-to the point that I actually sat down during Jambi.

As for Maynard:
Horrible. It seems as if Maynard has read so many reviews bashing on how he used to perform that he has forced himself to normalize, if you will. He wore jeans, no shirt, and a cowboy hat. He remained standing the entire time (not just standing-but that arrogant rock star stance). If I wanted to see a standard rock star, I would have caught the Godsmack/Rob Zombie concert a few weeks ago. When I see Maynard, I want to see him in his underwear, cross-dressed, painted, or curled into a ball letting lose. I want to feel what he's singing. Last night I didn't.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good show and all; sounded good, looked decent, I guess. It just wasn't... Tool.

But if look at the length of allbum, the laser light show etc, it would seem that the intension was to have a straight rock concert.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #70
Level 3 - Talker

The only big mystery to me about the set list is this:

They didn't play The Grudge, a song about the return of Saturn, which supposedly returns to smae position about every 30 years (or roughly 10,000 Days). I gues the overall theme in each song is just too much different
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

My friends and I were row B seats 123 section 116. It was great. I really don't know how to describe it. It was just amazing.

I have about 50 cell phone pictures, and 2 or 3 videos. They suck incredibly, but they're better than nothing. One of my videos has the clear beginning of Wings. Wings/10,000 Days was absolutely amazing. I was also glad to hear 46 & 2 because that's the song I first heard by them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

As for Tool:

As for Maynard:

I don't think TOOL was going for that kind of Effect. I've seen all their Tours and it was obvious to me ,and others, that this Tour is about each persons interpritations. I think they, HE, was trying to stay out of the way. We've seen that trick up'ed stage performance before. This was different intentionally. Just my .02
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #73
Level 3 - Talker

Section 10 Row U Seat 4. First ever concert. Greatest event that has ever happened in my life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

Just a thought and not trying to be a smartass but maybe he has toned down a little because he is 42 and matured a bit...I don't know but maybe...Still the same amazing voice no matter how he is moving or not moving on stage....

Last edited by krzymom; 09-15-2006 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: missing a word
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #75
Level 2 - Poster

wow wow wow anyone who has something bad to say is an idiot!!!!! the show was great the set list was great .....the crowd was great.... good job tool . thanks for the memories
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:19 PM   #76
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
I'm tired of this shit. You go to a concert to listen to the music and watch the visuals. You don't go to their concert to see Maynard thrusting his thighs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #77
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

So, I haven't seen anyone else mention it, did Maynard introduce Stinkfist as "Shove-butt", or did I imagine that?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #78
On Probation

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrack29 View Post
So, I haven't seen anyone else mention it, did Maynard introduce Stinkfist as "Shove-butt", or did I imagine that?
He actually said "Shaz-bot".

If you don't know, look it up on Wiki.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #79
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton View Post
And then Adam held out his guitar like he was going to toss it and some drunk guy was like "GIVE IT TO ME, OMG TOSS IT HERE ADAM".
did adam give away his guitar? it looked like he did from where i was but i couldnt tell for sure
Old 09-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool concert ever and I said before I got to the show that I was looking forward to a spectacle, and a spectacle I got. The setlist was stellar, the music was of course badass, and the performance as a whole rocked. The lasers were ok, they could use some different patterns, I found them boring after the first six times. The stage was badass and added to the show alot. It is true if you get floor seats you cant see the stage worth sh*t. A couple of friends made that fatal mistake. I was in 108 Row G and had an excellent view of the stage and the band.

There is nothing to complain about. We got a super long performance, badass songs and a life long memory. I am just glad that I got to see them this time around.

Oh yeah and to the guy named Mel who sat next to me and chiefed for awhile, whats up buddy.

Last edited by bigboy55693; 09-16-2006 at 12:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: