opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/27 - Amsterdam, NLD - HMH

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/27 - Amsterdam, NLD - HMH

Fucking amazing!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

LOST KEYS
ROSETTA STONED

"Does it give any Duth people?"

"You can make a little more noise than that, seriously"

"Hehe"

STINKFIST (extended, with different lyrics in stead of 'I'll keep digging till I feel something", sounded like "We'll keep sleeping till you feel something")
FORTY SIX & 2 (with weird intro)

Little speech, couldn't understand much of it. About the new album and the next song being from that album.

JAMBI (all the conversation about what Maynard is singing in the 'Damn/dim my eyes' part must have made him articulate better, because it was quite clear he was singing 'Jambi's' or 'Jambi eyes')
SCHISM (the faster part was a highlight)
RIGHT IN TWO (with Intension intro) (the louder part near the end was a highlight)
SOBER (with amazing intro. Another highlight)
LATERALUS (highlight, of course)

-Break-

Spacey noise
VICARIOUS

"I guess we'll see you in November"

AENEMA (highlight, of course)

Yes, a brilliant show. Perfect. Two rows in front of me (most of the time) and not a lot of pushing. Didn't notice any annoying moshing. Quite a lot of short spacey instrumentals.

Love.

Last edited by Wool; 06-27-2006 at 01:57 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

I think the setlist was:
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist (extended)
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism (extended)
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema (the best I ever saw, mindblowing)

Just saw my fourth show: it was a beautiful one. Maynard asked in the beginning how the Dutch people were feeling at that moment. After a minor cheering (we think we know him). He said: "no seriously, I think you can do better than that". There was no sarcasm in it! The sound was ok and they made a good show out of it. No one and a half hour of looking at Maynards ass. His voice was good. But still no 10,000 days or a good preview of the video of Vicarious.
But: (for al the Dutch fans) maybe in November!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Banned.

Excellent show !!

My favourite part was the AMAZING rhythm that Danny played on his drums(tablas??) in RIGHT in TWO. The visuals were amazing!! Ii myself did a lot of VJ-ing, but he sharpness and style we're of a kind that's almost perfect.

I was sitting way back in the venue, enjoying the effects, sounds and all of TOOL. The crowd in front just made the whole thing even more intense.

Looking forward to Werchter !!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
zet
Level 2 - Poster

Setlist:

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
forty-six & 2
jambi
schism
right in two
sober
lateralus
<br>
vicarious
aenema

my first Tool show. Cool. Never expected such mastery. Paradox though, please O fellow posters, explain to me:

-why so little communicatioin / connectin with audience. We all fucking pay 45 euris, I could do with a bit more sympathy/respect from MJK + Pals.
-showtime: 1 hours, 38 minutes: very short IMHO. whats up with that?

Also, I got the feeling MJK was very lax and almost cynical in his stage behaviour. Is this how it allways is, or was this show somewhat more detached from the audience than usual.

DONT GET ME WRONG: it was awesome. Just keep questining some of the above ;-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

[QUOTE=

my first Tool show. Cool. Never expected such mastery. Paradox though, please O fellow posters, explain to me:

-why so little communicatioin / connectin with audience. We all fucking pay 45 euris, I could do with a bit more sympathy/respect from MJK + Pals.
-showtime: 1 hours, 38 minutes: very short IMHO. whats up with that?

Also, I got the feeling MJK was very lax and almost cynical in his stage behaviour. Is this how it allways is, or was this show somewhat more detached from the audience than usual.

DONT GET ME WRONG: it was awesome. Just keep questining some of the above ;-)[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll tell you this: What if (like I'am) you're sick of all this crowdpleasing say He, say Ho's!. What if you have nothing to tell at that moment than you're music. What if you get boring of the: "What a pity that the Dutch team have lost at the worldcup". Then, there is nothing to say,
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
zet
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by perico462
Ok, I'll tell you this: What if (like I'am) you're sick of all this crowdpleasing say He, say Ho's!. What if you have nothing to tell at that moment than you're music. What if you get boring of the: "What a pity that the Dutch team have lost at the worldcup". Then, there is nothing to say,

huh, not more to say after singing about your son?
I never go to shows. I have not been "crowed pleased" before. I would just like to see some more connection with the crowd. Like "thanks for being here, hope to see you next time". Or "hey dudes, thanks for buying our records and showtickets, and supporting us".

I'm not talking about football here. talking about somewhat more connectedness.

so, the answer so far is "live with it, this is what you get"?

cheers,
hans
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Banned.

My opinion about Maynard is that he makes music that we like.. Why just he bother talking about other things?? Also, i think it's difficult to maintain such a mediative level althrough the show.. maybe he's just trying to focus all the time on his singing..??
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
zet
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Heijblok
My opinion about Maynard is that he makes music that we like.. Why just he bother talking about other things?? Also, i think it's difficult to maintain such a mediative level althrough the show.. maybe he's just trying to focus all the time on his singing..??
well, if he is like this in all the shows, i'll live with it. great music, great vocals, great show. just very detached and un-emotional on stage, IMHO. Perfect, almost unhuman. A human touch would make me feel better, thats all.

So, this is how they are in all their shows?

thanks,

z
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Allright Hans,
Let's take this to another level. I think that you think that the show don't match the spiritual level of Lateralus and 10,000 days. But first it's about the music, right? The high spiritual level and meanings is what you give to the songs. First of all the music and meanings of Tool says: You give the meaning to the music they are giving us. Why should Maynard (poet) do a bla bla talking about his song that he wants you to give a personal meaning to his song?

Greetings
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

MynameisMUD

Hum, what to think , feel kinda dissapointed, set was what to be xpected and that was really it, i mean they were cool and all, MJK didnt miss a note and danny didnt miss a 1/64th, all and all pretty cool and amazing and all, but still....
Kinda laime to know the setlist in advanced (my own fault prob) but really the implemented ""PAUZE"" @ d end was truly weird, an encore in my eyes is leaving an audience baffeld and confused and than come back and rock their ass off !! This wasnt the case at all, in y opinion anywayz. Kinda feeled liked they did theyr routine and than headed of to some other routine. In Oosterport didnt have that feeling at all !

But the highlights for me (and questions) cool to see danny playing live midi drums, i mean tabbing on a controller. Making sounds, looping etc etc.
Cool to see that danny (hety im a drumme so excuse me if i didnt see adam switch from one mesa to another !) had a hihat on the left side (audience view) and from my point didnt have a hihat on the right side at all, this was all filled up with electronic purple pads, which he used amazingly wel i might add !!
Strange to see him use his remote hh controller it seemed to go offbeat in what he played...... hihat open on 2/4 but his leg didnt go "up"on 2/4 but on 1/4, kinda counterbeat............ made me even more confuse bout his baffeld drumworx cos he didnt drop one 1.64 !!!! really fucking tight.
MJK was in sahpe, didnt loose a note, even in the beginning with rosetta, the screams where spine cracking!!
Jsting rpcked his ass off and threw hos amsterdamned pot in the audience(probly was tosrong;'))
Adam just kinda vibed and did his job proffesionaly but not amazingly good.
Visuals were kinda dissapointing, same ol same ol, not really new visuals, not even on vicarious.

MJK did mention a return in november, this in combination with the lack of visuals and llack of true songs on 10.000 dys (effective 6 songs on 10.0000 days) got me thinkng bout a new albuim release in the summer, but hey mb thats just wisahfull thinking.

Dont get me wrong, tool is still my fav band, and still it blew my mind in comparison to other bands, (live as cd) but they raised the bar so high for themslef that its hard to overcome.
Gijsja............aka MUD
Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

I'm always glad to read a post from a drummer. They see the true genius in the rhythm. But there will be no new album I think:the time you must spend on a song like Rosetta stoned or (the full, ;)) Wings for Marie

Last edited by perico462; 06-27-2006 at 03:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
zet
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by perico462
Allright Hans,
Let's take this to another level. I think that you think that the show don't match the spiritual level of Lateralus and 10,000 days. But first it's about the music, right? The high spiritual level and meanings is what you give to the songs. First of all the music and meanings of Tool says: You give the meaning to the music they are giving us. Why should Maynard (poet) do a bla bla talking about his song that he wants you to give a personal meaning to his song?

Greetings
I dont mean a blabla. Just a more connected and emotional stance would suit me. This semi- autistic stance is paradoxal to me. the stance during the song, not between and after. Just during. I find it detached, most of the time.

I think I know what you're saying, and I'm letting it sink in. It makes me conclude that MJK's attitude is the thing I dont lke. The rest of the band is doing the music. His role is to sing, and to perform. I miss the performance.

but hey, my first show: just expected something different.

z
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

got to meet justin, ask if any regrets i meant on his playin, he laughed and said myspace, then shook hands was cool, could have lasted longer but maybe next time, setlist was the same

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 06-27-2006 at 04:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, that was one hell of a show, but a bit short I think. They could give a 2 hr. concert for that money.
A shame that a girl from the group that I was with, fainted during Schism, so missed the best part of it and the start of Right in Two.
I think the show at Pinkpop was a bit better, but still: amazingly tight.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 42

My second Tool show. I think i'm the only one that was kind of dissapointed ,eventhough they played great and everything, I was just not feeling it I even got bored maybe it was because of my terrible hangover from last night when my best friend had his birthday. I also got the impresion maynard was dissapointed by the crowd somehow. I was on the balcony wo I got to see everything really well I also got the impresion that the crowd was anoying.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

hmmmmmm...... welcome to the (money) machine.
iow, i'm dissapointed.

i saw the show at pinkpop and thought it was awesome.
now i saw it for the second time and i started wondering about things although the band did their thing almost flawlessly again.

this maynard guy isn't really much of a pleasant guy i think. i saw this mtv interview somewhere on the internet and he was dissing the interviewer. he's so full of him self, it might rub off onto the band. danny was standing next to him, answering questions with an open mind. this guy is genuine and i think the other band members are also. its always maynard that's nowhere to be found if somethings going on.
he thinks he's the uber cool artist or something that has all the wisdom. well, he doesn't.
futhermore, the show is way to short... why? some bands give encores till they drop, tool doesnt.
they play their set list and leave. what's so artistic about that. it's rude. so many people come to see them spending more time traveling than the entire show lasts altogether and this is all they get.
sure, there will be another show in... november or something again and sure everybody will dig into their wallets again and like whatever is presented to them. but its wrong.
sure it's all showbusiness... but still.. you wouldn't expect it from tool anybody but tool.
but then again... remember metallica.. famous for not being commercial... once...
it seems to me, every riff is a buck earned these days.
and then i also had this really unpleasant experience, i was standing way back against at the side entrance on top of the seats. i took out my phone and took one picture which showed nothing but a little blurry blue light somewhere in the distance and i got jumped by 2 security guards. they told me: cut it out, "the band" specificly asked us to prevent people from taking pictures.
wtf? why? what's the fucking reason? is tool afraid they will lose money over my cheap ass phone cam? fuck that!

this is the last show i've seen as far as i'm concerned, it's time for new cliche's.

Last edited by xirdneh; 06-27-2006 at 03:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zet
I dont mean a blabla. Just a more connected and emotional stance would suit me. This semi- autistic stance is paradoxal to me. the stance during the song, not between and after. Just during. I find it detached, most of the time.

I think I know what you're saying, and I'm letting it sink in. It makes me conclude that MJK's attitude is the thing I dont lke. The rest of the band is doing the music. His role is to sing, and to perform. I miss the performance.

but hey, my first show: just expected something different.

z
First of all: I do know what you mean. The whole thing that he's in the back (he just want to be a part of the band, not the leader), not saying anything deep (while he's a poet and a former stand-up comedian).
But I'll live with it that he's not a entertainer or a spiritual leader (or something like that). The only thing that I can say (and I hope that you will read this),

True genius things can´t have consessions to anything.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

It was great to see them play Right In Two, since they played The Pot at Pinkpop three weeks ago. Hard to compare the two performances for me, because the crowd was better here at HMH and I was with friends who truly appreciate the band and their music. The four of us agreed on one thing: we'll go see them again in November, no question!
One thing though... if they do come back in November I'm going to try not to check the setlists of other shows that month. I knew exactly what was coming, apart from Right In Two / The Pot. When they played Right In Two I was hoping for The Pot as well, like they did on a few shows recently, and I was a little disappointed that they didn't play that as well.

Oh, I liked Maynard's comment about the people on the balcony in the back, he said they were probably sitting because they were high. I turned around and saw some of them standing up from their seats...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Wow, finally goosebumps all over during Rosetta Stoned. Or should I say I had a Toolgasm? I am starting to believe that All < Rosetta Stoned < Third Eye. Anyway this was way more satisfying than the Düsseldorf show. Much better sound. Unfortunately no Pot again...

Prior to the show there was an anouncement in which Maynard asked everybody not to smoke. If we had any respect for the band and their health and wanted them to come back and play for us again then please, 'from the bottom of my heart', he asked us not to smoke for a few hours of our lifes. Didn't hear that in Düsseldorf.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 51

Well my first Tool show is now a fact. My gf and I arrived at around 19:20. Windir and I were supposed to meet up BEFORE the show. But after not finding him for 10-15 minutes we decided to get in the venue.

Windir and I had decided earlier that day that we would try to find some seats on the balcony, so me and my gf tried to find him there, to no avail. We got really good seats there though and could see the stage very well. Maynards reaction on us sitting down? "Are you guys stoned, is that why you're sitting down?"

The show began round 20:40 and what a show it was. The sound was amazing.

- Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
It started with the feedback sounding exactly as heard on the album. Super trippy visuals on this one by the way. Justin came on stage first, then Adam. Danny was next and of course Maynard who come on stage as last.

- Rosetta Stoned
A flawless performance on this one. Had goosebumps at the "Overwhelmed as one would be" and the instrumental part before that. They seemed really into it, which was great to see and hear.

- Stinkfist
The extended version of this song kicked every ass that was in HMH last night. Maynard sang some alternate vocals on the "I'll keep digging" part and I couldn't really make out what he was singing.

- Forty Six & 2
I'm a drummer and since this song has one kickasss drumsolo I was waiting for this one. Danny played the solo flawless just as flawless as he played the whole show. The intro on this one is just amazing, love the basslines in this one.

- Jambi
What a performance on this one! The whole intro hits you like a train at full speed especially when the drums and bass come in. Adam's talkbox solo fuckin' rocked. I had goosebumps on the "Damn my eyes if the should compromise a fulcrum...". Maynard sounded amazing on that.

- Schism
A sort of extended version. They played the middle section a lot faster with cool drums. Then played it at normal speed when Maynard sang to it. The ending of this one was amazing. The flaming visuals and Danny's drumming. Gotta love it.

- Intension/Right in Two
Fuck yeah, I was really hoping they'd play this one. And they did! This was just...well I have no words for it. All four really put all their love in this one. Loved Danny's tabla part, Adam's solo was the shit. Maynard sang it perfectly and Justin was rockin' on this one.

- Sober
It had some trippy instrumental which sounded a bit like Merkaba. Then after a few minutes Justin started the intro riff to Sober. The ending of this one was just heaven with some cool sound effects and Maynard sang to ending a little different from the original, which sounded awesome.

- Lateralus
This one beautiful song. Also this one featured the coolest visuals of the whole show just before both the choruses. It was the man with the flaming spiral from the 10,000 Days artwork, anyone noticed this? The ending was even more powerful than it is one the album.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
After Lateralus they all put down their instruments and sat down down for a few minutes and sat down and watched the crowd and talked a bit to eachother. Then they got up and played...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

- Vicarious
This track rocks so much live. The whole ending part kicked massive ass and still can't believe how you can sing something like that. Danny's fills were superb. I don't knew that Adam and Justin played the little part before "Part vampire..." together, that was cool to see.

- Ænema
A great song to end with. This was just a good six minutes pure rocking. It was great to see Justin rock the fuck outta himself on the ending. Before this song or after this song Maynard said that they will probably be back in November, so that is great news for the Dutch persons.

After the show at the merch guess who I met, exactly, Windir! In November we'll have another try at meeting up BEFORE the show, lol. Did someone record this show by the way? I sure hope so. I saw a lot of mobile phones light up during the show so there must be some good pics.

Well that's all folks.

Last edited by Peaceful Moments; 06-27-2006 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: typos
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

i wasn't there ...but after reading the reviews i feel the need to say something ...

whatever they did on that show was xactly the same with all the others plus the one i was part of (Milan) ...this "sit down and talk for a while" thing is part of the show..

they should better start using their fantasy and feel more into their shows ..

this "lets get the money and leave" atitude is against their image that they wanted us to believe they have.. they still are a GREAT band ...and their shows are far better than most of the bands ...but they should act like living every single moment of their shows... IMO...

and i Will tell NO lies ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Fourth show, and they get more slick with each one. That has upsides and downsides. Upside is that you get a smooth, well oiled rendition of the songs you love. Downside is the audiences are getting massive and it can all feel a little impersonal. To the guys bitching about Maynard interacting, he never really does, the whole laid-back persona is part of the act, as is singing from the back, or facing away from the audience for the whole show... it's just the act.

Musically it was predicatable enough. MJK seemd a little embarrassed that the tour was a bit underwhelming, hence a somewhat apprehensive "Apparently we'll see you guys again in November". I think something went badly wrong with the management of the tour, expect Novemeber to have support, etc. Danny was, as always, flawless... the gong shook me again. Justin impressed as he always does, he works so damned hard on that bass. Seeing it live forces you to acknowledge all those basslines in the background are actually fucking difficult pieces of music. Aenima being one of those, damn he worked hard. MJK's vocals were spot on where they needed to be, he suffered mix problems a couple of times, more on that in a second. Adam was the weaker member, if any were, but only hit a couple of flats. Having seen them a couple of weeks back though, it seems he's actually just moved some of the solos on from the recorded versions, so it might be entirely intentional and these odd notes are just unfamiliar ones.

Mixing was the weakest point. The sound guy was a bit heavy handed. We all know the base at the beginning of Schism and Sober is great, so pulling it to the front of the soundstage is nice, but it was a little overdone. Worse, when mixed back in with the band, the instrument would be overly faded, leaving absent bass when the rest of the band came in. Same happened with the Adam and MJK, the mix was just overdone sometimes. Bit gentler on the levels sound guy!

Highlight, MJKs scream in Stinkfist. I almost came ;o)

And to the US guy who bought my ticket off me outside Febo for 50 Euros and a hug. Hope you enjoyed the gig.

DI
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 AM   #25
Banned.

Sorry, but i must put some quotes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirdneh
hmmmmmm...... welcome to the (money) machine.
iow, i'm dissapointed.

i saw the show at pinkpop and thought it was awesome.
now i saw it for the second time and i started wondering about things although the band did their thing almost flawlessly again.

this maynard guy isn't really much of a pleasant guy i think. i saw this mtv interview somewhere on the internet and he was dissing the interviewer. he's so full of him self, it might rub off onto the band. danny was standing next to him, answering questions with an open mind. this guy is genuine and i think the other band members are also. its always maynard that's nowhere to be found if somethings going on.
he thinks he's the uber cool artist or something that has all the wisdom. well, he doesn't.
Maynard doesn't think he's the uber cool artist.. I've been a Tool-fan since the played at Lowlands '93.. And Maynard was more "open" in those days. Like most bands who thank the crowd and jump up and down, Maynard just doesn't.. He makes music for a living.. But i call it art.. And why should an artist talk to you about things? He talks to me through his music. And the interviewer from MTV where yoy referenced about, was a total NOOB..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirdneh
futhermore, the show is way to short... why? some bands give encores till they drop, tool doesnt.
they play their set list and leave. what's so artistic about that. it's rude. so many people come to see them spending more time traveling than the entire show lasts altogether and this is all they get.
sure, there will be another show in... november or something again and sure everybody will dig into their wallets again and like whatever is presented to them. but its wrong.
sure it's all showbusiness... but still.. you wouldn't expect it from tool anybody but tool.
but then again... remember metallica.. famous for not being commercial... once...
it seems to me, every riff is a buck earned these days.
and then i also had this really unpleasant experience, i was standing way back against at the side entrance on top of the seats. i took out my phone and took one picture which showed nothing but a little blurry blue light somewhere in the distance and i got jumped by 2 security guards. they told me: cut it out, "the band" specificly asked us to prevent people from taking pictures.
wtf? why? what's the fucking reason? is tool afraid they will lose money over my cheap ass phone cam? fuck that!

this is the last show i've seen as far as i'm concerned, it's time for new cliche's.
I don't think they can play anymore songs as an encore.. The visuals should be loaded, the extra sounds should be ready on the right moment. Maybe they just CAN'T do any more.

And why would you want to make a picture of TOOL? They put a lot of effort and time in creating a high-mediative enviroment, and they make the rules at there concert.. They don;t want any camera's.

But it's a problem of the security that they are way up the wall about a simple mobile-phone camera..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 12:22 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Well, I guess this is some news then. Maynard has thought of something new to set the band apart from other "usual" bands.

I just read the reviews of the show in the Czech Republic and noticed that during the show he asked the audience to stop smoking. Obviously starting yesterday he has taken it a little further. He has written a statement that is to be announced by a local speaker just before the start of the show. In this statement he is **pleading** for the audience not to smoke. The statement is announced in both the country’s language as well as English. A few posts ago I posted some of the contence of the announcement.

I highlighted **pleading** because as far as I’m concerned he could have just asked us, but this was quite an emotional request: “If you respect us”, “if you want us to come back again”, “from the bottom of my heart”. But hey, he’s American and I’m Dutch. I don’t like generalizing and it isn’t very important at all but probably us Dutchies do not dramatize things as much.

As far as I know it’s quite unusual to receive a message from a band prior to the start of a show. You can imagine that the hall was silent when the speaker started: “Ladies and gentlemen, this is an announcement from Maynard from Tool…”. I for one for a second was afraid that they were going to cancel the show.

Anybody has a better transcription of the announcement?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:59 AM   #27
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

This show was below par. Adam screwed up three times in Rosetta stoned (most critical during the 'overwhelmed as one would be..' part where he switched pick-ups and had his volume turned down and noticed this a good deal into the piece); and the part after that Adam just lost Justin and Danny. Anyways Maynard picked up on this, and thats why he said during Stinkfist 'we keep slipping, so you feel something' (sarcastic as always). The rest of the show was good (Sober IMO the most 'on edge' and the gong on Lateralus keeps kickin ass) but without any sharp edges.

I saw them last sunday in Prague as well and during that show it felt as if they still had to prove something. The venue was only partly filled which meant that even during the show you could have walked out and then walked right back up to the stage. During this performance Maynard was his 'better self' and practicing his black belt moves all the way through the show, plus the connection with the crowd was much better (and they played both right in two and the pot). Danny even threw in some unexpected fills and Adam hit every note right.

Oh one more thing if you are still out there waving your fascist fist to Aenema or making those silly devil horns, would you please for fuck's sake cut it out cuz it looks retarded.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

my 12th TOOL show and again a total knock-out show !!
I don´t understand those people who are very bussy with how they would like TOOL to be (on stage, on records, as persons etc) instead of accept that this is TOOL and this is the art they make. Take it or leave it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 02:13 AM   #29
YVE
Level 1 - Lurker

Greate show from TOOL.
Just a little comment on the people who always have to bitch about something. (typically dutch).
Please don't come to the next TOOL show if you don't like it. I know a lot more people willing to go who take the show for what it is and not be a bitch about that the show is to short or they 'maybe' screwed up a little piece in a song. Ther only human and humans make mistakes. Thats whats the differince between a live show and a cd.
The show was greate! The music was greate! The artwork was greate!
So please all you people who like to bitch about little things, please stay away next time so real fans of TOOL and live gigs can watch a really greate show from one of the best band ever.
Thank you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 02:44 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

About the complaints:

Too short; I wasn't bothered. It was a great show and great shows are always too short. I had myself a great fucking time and the length didn't bother me at all.

No encore; encores are just an act these days. I like the fact they kind of 'replaced' the pause between the show and the encore with a little break where they were still on stage. Besides, I knew there wasn't going to be an encore, so I wasn't bothered. A Tool show is just one great, intense show, that doesn't need another endig.

Maynard not contacting the audience a lot; wasn't really bothered. Sure, I would have liked a 'thank you', but after all, I came for the music, not for the stage rants.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:01 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing, mindblowing show from Tool. This was my first Toolshow and I must say I didn't expect it to be so tight, hugh respect for these guys...
I also loved the video wall, it really blended in with the rest of the show.
The sound was great as to be expected in the HMH.
Can't wait for the next one!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQfish
i wasn't there ...but after reading the reviews i feel the need to say something ...

whatever they did on that show was xactly the same with all the others plus the one i was part of (Milan) ...this "sit down and talk for a while" thing is part of the show..

they should better start using their fantasy and feel more into their shows ..

this "lets get the money and leave" atitude is against their image that they wanted us to believe they have.. they still are a GREAT band ...and their shows are far better than most of the bands ...but they should act like living every single moment of their shows... IMO...
thex were living every second of the show in Prague. they used their fantasy. they played the pot just for us. maynard told them to do it during the show. he was a little bit improvising with lyrics in couple of songs and he was always looking into the audience and react by dancing. they really enjoyed the show and people were crazy. we were screaming as hell during every break even after choruses and some great parts of the songs. the show was definately the best
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVE
So please all you people who like to bitch about little things, please stay away next time so real fans of TOOL and live gigs can watch a really greate show from one of the best band ever.
people with an opinion aren't real fans? you funny person.

one of the things that maynard is trying to get across is for people to be critical.. to think for them selfs.. to have opinions and not be mindless followers... like you...
how ironic, isn't it? ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:11 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

My first TOOL show ever and it absolutely blew me away! Fabulous musicians. They created an enormous wall of sound, but with all instruments and vocals clearly defined, crystal clear, superb.

I suppose people who visit several shows in a row, develop a different perspective on things. Please wonder if you still enjoy the shows enough before you buy yourselves yet another ticket. Instead of focusing on supposed mistakes, please enjoy the fact that these people are human after all :-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:15 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

For all the peepz who complain about Maynards presence during the show...
We we're very lucky to see him faced towards the crowd. I saw the (same) show/set in Rome last week and there we only saw his back during the whole show.

Maybe it has something to do with camara's? In HMH the policy was very strict according to take pictures (even with cellphones). In Rome everyone was taking pictures.

Too bad I didn't buy a shirt in Rome for 10 EUR. In HMH they'd cost about 30-35 EUR.
LOL

Ooh and for the those guys who can read some Dutch....
I found a review from yesterday's show in OOR magazine (with photograph of Maynard in his redneck-pose).
http://www.oor.nl/deruit_concertverslagen_details.asp?id=304
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:15 AM   #36
Level 2 - Poster

Hey,

This was the fifth time I saw the band. Obviously they played very well, they always do. The HMH, the venue they were playing, has amazing sound. I think it's one of the few purpose built pop/rock concert halls in holland. Of all the times i've seen tool, i'd rate this one the lowest. Don't get me wrong, they played brilliantly, but it was just that, 11 brilliant songs. Maybe i'm spoiled, but it felt like a warm-up or try-out concert or something. The visuals during the songs were horrible. Either they just played the musicvideo from start to end, like during stinkfist, or they just had some really simple and amateur looking kaleidoscope thing. A bit like the ones you get with windows media player. For instance, during vicarious the visuals consisted of nothing more that the cover of 10,000 days zooming in, and rotating and zooming out. The only new animation i could recognise was a 3d rendering of the image from the booklet of the guy with the flaming spiral coming out of his navel. It felt like they had the 4 video screens just for the hell of it, because they can.

Anyway, I did enjoy the show, highlights being the altered schism bit and the scream halfway during stinkfist. Looking foreward to seeing them in November,

Pants.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

Great show! Better and tighter performance and better sound than in Luxemburg a few weeks ago. Too bad the didn't play The Pot this time, but the songs they did play they played pretty well! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Heijblok
My favourite part was the AMAZING rhythm that Danny played on his drums(tablas??) in RIGHT in TWO.
Indeed, this was really great!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 04:02 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo
Ooh and for the those guys who can read some Dutch....
I found a review from yesterday's show in OOR magazine (with photograph of Maynard in his redneck-pose).
http://www.oor.nl/deruit_concertverslagen_details.asp?id=304
That photograph wasnt from last night though. The revolver belt buckle was from Pinkpop (and maybe other places) but he just had a normal belt buckle last night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 AM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

I was standing second row almost in the middle. It was hard to hear Maynard there unless the band wasnt playing. A mate who was sitting in the backrows didnt have a problem at all so i gues it was a setup problem.

Show was great except for the soft sounding singing.
When they sat down on the stage Adam asked something at Maynard and he grabbed his Adam's apple as if to indicate some voice problems.

I realy liked the experimaental jazz session (as someone called it) they did on stage. Justin was pushing his bass against his amplifiers so that the sound was made from the top of the snares on the bass. Later he glided the whole bass over the amplifier to make sound with it. Also after the break he did something with a beerbottle (im assuming that was what he was drinking) on the snares to produce sound.

I had a good view of Danny as well, amazing footwork that man has ( i could see trough his bass drums, btw Danny never wear wide pants ...).

The tool vs crowd interaction was what i expected, almost non existant so i dont bother reacting towards them either, i do my thing when i enjoy the music (if i stick my fist in the air thats fascist? to me its just a way to release energy) and when i enjoy the breaks in between the songs.

All in all i had good fun as usual and ill be back in November.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2006, 04:34 AM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Great Show. Highlights for me were Lateralus, Schism (extended part), AEnema , Danny on Right in Two, and ofcourse the talkbox on jambi! Rosetta stoned was a bit of a chaos to me. And I thougt maynard said 'i'll keep sweeping, till you feel something'

I was standing in front of Adam and it's scary to have eye contact with him :)

I was not dissapointed by Maynard cause he gave some really good screames (a very long one on Stinkfist!) and actually he didn't miss a note. But, I would be nice if he had a little more contact with the audience next time, just a few things like ' thanks for seeing us, thanx for suporting us' etc.

The sound was really good to me, and my left ear is still peepin'. I laughed when maynard was throwing his bottles of water toward the crowd at the end. He pretended to throw it at us, but then he thew it an other way. Silly Maynard :)

Quote:
weesper: Oh one more thing if you are still out there waving your fascist fist to Aenema or making those silly devil horns, would you please for fuck's sake cut it out cuz it looks retarded.
Gast, je zit er serieus naast, dat jij nou zo'n stijf nerdje bent, laat de ander zn plezier hebben! Waar heb je het over? fascitische groet? Ga aub thuis blijven de volgende keer, dan heb je ook geen last meer van mensen die fanatiek zijn en WEL van de show genieten! Zielig figuur!

===
Here are some more comments of me in dutch:
http://www.musicmeter.nl/forum/15/1486/140#140
name: KampF
===

Thanks Tool for this awesome show and see you in november guys!

Last edited by RosettaStoned; 06-28-2006 at 05:36 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: