opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/29 - Werchter, BEL - Rock Werchter Festival

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/06/29 - Werchter, BEL - Rock Werchter Festival

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

If I am not mistaken.

Review and pictures at http://www.proximusgoformusic.be/nl/report.php?id=110419.

Loved the show, but it was to festivally: music comes second to a lot of other things. drinking, babbling and generally obnoxious Dutch people in front of me, not caring for the music, kinda ruined the first part of the show, before I removed myself. The band seemed in good spirits, though, playing nearly perfect, but they only had one hour, which was the main downside. Maynard announced a show in November, so here's hoping that will at last be the full blown Tool experience. Did I say the concert was great? Well, it was, even knowing the setlist in advance, and Ænema was still a superb way to end it. Because Manu Chao and even the Peppers would be an anticlimax to my night, I went home immediately after Tool finished their set. Got there just in time to hear Danny and Justin being interviewed by Studio Brussels, the Flemish rock radio station (may be you can check that out at www.stubru.be).

Thank you Tool, and hopefully until November.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

I'm sorry to say but for me the show was a bit disappointing. Seeing Tool perform at a commercial festival like this (black eyed peas headlined ... deuh, Tool played at 19.15 in broad daylight ...) is just a different experience (different crowd, different setting). They had to squeze everything in one hour, so very short intro and few songs. No Opiate or Right in two :-(
No projections behind the band, only big fixed festival-screens on both sides of the podium.
I can't exactly point out what it was but for me that special spark wasn't there.

One strang thing at the end of the show. Justin rushed off the podium immediately after Ænema ... The bathroom ? Who knows ... No friendly get-together-greeting-of-the-crowd, like they normally do.

Maynard didn't say a word about not smoking. So it's definately for his voice ... venues and smoking ... augh
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-30-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

My second Tool show, the first one was also at Werchter festival (2001). I don't know what it's like to see them in a music hall, but they kicked ass!
Negative points:
1) only one hour
2) irritating moshing wannabees who don't care about the music
3) 19.15 - 20.15, followed by RHCP (which I dislike, but to which I am resigned) and Black Eyed Peas (This choice is criminal! What have they achieved? It's not even their own music)
Positive points:
1) really amazing
2) 46+2, Jambi, Sober, Ænema
3) I love Tool even more! See you in november!
Due to the short show, they didn't play Rosetta Stoned, which I like far more than The Pot. In my opinion that's a pity.
I think Maynard said something like "Hello Werchter, we're Manu Chao" en something like "... even in Belgium". Probably one of his jokes about Belgium :)
I really hope we'll see you in november!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-30-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 132

Awesome show. My first one ever ! Due to a lot of bad luck.

Sound was perfect, even for open air. They sounded like their records, except The Pot was even better. Bummer they didn't play Rosetta because of the short time they were given (goddamnit, what kind of morron gives this band 1h10min and Manu Chao, whose songs all sound a like almost 2h ?)

Nice sidenote : when the Peppers played Anthony Kiedis or Flea, don't know, said "did you see Tool earlier today ? It was my first tool experience and they BLEW ME AWAY. Tool rocks. Tool is GREAT !") Kind of strange that these guys never saw them play before.

Even objectively they were the best performance of the day. Papers all gave them a top rating.

I've read that they received a golden record backstage packed in a caleidoscopic box. They must have liked that.

See you in November JEE-HA !
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-30-2006, 03:53 AM   #6
YVE
Level 1 - Lurker

Greate show again just like the 27th in Amsterdam.
Its greate to see TOOL again in two days with a slightly different setlist.
Shame it was a bit short (just an hour) but it still was verry verry good.
Sound was what you could expect at a festival, but it was quite good.
Well i can't wait till novenber to see them againin Holland.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

the show was great, with vicarious being the highlight for me - excellent performance. The previous werchter show had perfect sound, this one was close but the voice was a bit silent at times; could be due to the fact I was standing off-center :).

Maynard said something about returning in November, hopefully not in the acoustically challenged 'sportpaleis'...

Miker
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker
The previous werchter show had perfect sound, this one was close but the voice was a bit silent at times; could be due to the fact I was standing off-center :).
Yeah it must be. I was standing in the center and I was really amazed by the quality of the sound for a festival. Very clear, even the vocals. Lots of people singing along around me, smiling in recognition at eachother every now and then. Great vibes.
(2 days later I still see flashes of the show in my mind. It was wonderfull.)

Last edited by ZeroPointEther; 07-01-2006 at 06:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Allrighty then picture this if you will,

I got on the festivalsite in time to see Deftones open things up with Passenger (before you start jerking off, no maynard. Deftones played a nice show with passenger, shove it and a funny shakira cover as highlights. What I had feared was immediatly evident : there was a lot of standing around at the site, even all the way up front. The only moment people actually show some emotion is when an overhead camera swirls their way,and they freak out...fuck those people.

To see Tool I went to the front section to get a good close up look. I think Tool fans where a bit scattered around and that there were quit some dippshits around, ah well...

Danny came out first, followed by the others, maynard then said "hello strangers" and they started playing stinkfist (extended and awsome duh), There was a lot of movement and moshing in the crowd, didn't like the moshing but at least people were not just standing around. Up next was the pot, wich was really tight. Before the band played 46 and 2 (one of my favourites of the day, cause I hadn't heard it before, maynard said "we tool, you Belgium, howdie!", Maynard then picked out some people who i suppose sat somewhere on the side of the site and had some comic interaction with them. He also said something in the line of' great fan support from belgium 'or something like that. Well a lot of the rest has allready been said. The other songs rocked me asswell, don't like the excuse of tool playing in daylighyt isn't the same they still Fucked the shit out of me with the music. Aenima ended it all beautifully and my day had a good start.

See you in november
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

This was a great gig!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were the best band of the weekend!!! Maynard said something about see you all in November. Does anybody know where they are performing in November???? Pleas help me out!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divaatje
This was a great gig!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were the best band of the weekend!!! Maynard said something about see you all in November. Does anybody know where they are performing in November???? Pleas help me out!!
No one knows, except for Maynard and the pope.

EmotherfuckingT : that comical interaction was with people of the press in the front rows on the side I think. Couldn't really tell from where I was standing / airdrumming.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2006, 05:13 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Loved this gig!!! The sound was awsome, and better than in Paris and Luxembourg. You could hear details of the drums much better and the bombastic basses didn't overrule any part of the show. Mixing balance was thrilling perfect..! Of course, it's a festival so you can't expect a cherry on your pie.. shorted gig, no extended intro's before the show.. just the very deeeeep bass-piercing wave did his job, again, very good :). Crowd was as enthousiastic as in Paris, lots of moshing here, but hey, remember when you were 15 and allready high on your 5th beer, and have to wait fucking 5 years to see your most wanted band. Tool did a great job on this tour, perfect playing, perfect singing and a smashing sound in your face! November in Europe, I'm in!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divaatje
I suppose, but I fear, that it will be at the Sportpaleis in Antwerp. That building is about to collapse with it's poor sound quality. On the other hand, I don't care if Tool plays there, the fact that they will play in Belgium in november is good enough for me.
At Pinkpop they played the same setlist in the same order, exept for two more songs (Rosetta Stoned and Schism). I hope there were some people who realised that there was a band that sounded more than just some "kindergarten"music. I really hope so.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

suberp show! only way to short... they didn't even played shism but i was right in position... 2nd part of the fences, right in the middle of the stage! really enjoyed it and can't wait until november!!!!!!!!!!

ps: heeft er iemand een opname gemaakt van deze show? want die zou ik wel heel graag ne keer hebbe eigelijk...
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Great show but too short.

Also the fact that they played in daylight and had no screens on stage was a bit disappointing.
@ TiVa: Ik heb foto's van niet de beste kwaliteit :-)
Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit, stupid shit...
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Antony kiedis later that night: "I have a secret, - TOOL are great"
\ well duhh, we all knew before you did, and your from LA
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: