Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2010
User Name
Password
kabir's Avatar kabir
07-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Please do not post if you did not attend the show.

SETLIST

Third eye (otrm)
Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist (otrm)
Vicarious
Right in Two
Flood.
Schism (otrm)
46 & 2
Intermission
Lateralus w gino
Ænema

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by McRoggles; 07-18-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
07.18.2010 - Los Angeles, CA @ Nokia Theater

Please do not post if you did not attend the show.

SETLIST

Third eye (otrm)
Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist (otrm)
Vicarious
Right in Two
Flood.
Schism (otrm)
46 & 2
Intermission
Lateralus w gino
Ænema

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by McRoggles; 07-18-2010 at 10:34 PM..
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
07-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Im in my seat at the show. Set up looks the same as the other shows. Side screens look to be a bit inverted to conform to the building. Will keep updated with setlist if possible. I expect the same awesomeness as vegas!

Rajas done. 20-30 min id say...

Hmmm theres a bunch of guys on stage w/ red berea's on hoistin something into the air...looks like a speaker stack but not sure. I saw these guys earlier but thought they were enthusiastic fans. One has white facepaint. Weirdness is afoot. Theres one next to me at the soundboard talkin to junior too, but he has black facepaint n a black apron on. :?

Third eye (otrm) - gave me goosebumps
Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist (otrm)
Vicarious
Right in fucking two!!!!!!
Flood.
Schism (otrm).
46 &2.
Intermission.
Lateralus w gino.
Aenima n done!!

They know they're playing tomorrow too, right?

Last edited by no_name; 07-18-2010 at 10:13 PM..
Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: 07.18.2010 - Los Angeles, CA @ Nokia Theater

Im in my seat at the show. Set up looks the same as the other shows. Side screens look to be a bit inverted to conform to the building. Will keep updated with setlist if possible. I expect the same awesomeness as vegas!

Rajas done. 20-30 min id say...

Hmmm theres a bunch of guys on stage w/ red berea's on hoistin something into the air...looks like a speaker stack but not sure. I saw these guys earlier but thought they were enthusiastic fans. One has white facepaint. Weirdness is afoot. Theres one next to me at the soundboard talkin to junior too, but he has black facepaint n a black apron on. :?

Third eye (otrm) - gave me goosebumps
Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist (otrm)
Vicarious
Right in fucking two!!!!!!
Flood.
Schism (otrm).
46 &2.
Intermission.
Lateralus w gino.
Aenima n done!!

They know they're playing tomorrow too, right?

Last edited by no_name; 07-18-2010 at 10:13 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Kush42's Avatar Kush42
07-18-2010, 09:09 PM

Right in two with drum solo with different lyrics too
Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Right in two with drum solo with different lyrics too
OFFLINE |  
Nick Thompson
07-18-2010, 10:38 PM

Excellent show I must say. Were they only selling signed posters for $120? I wanted to pick one up unsigned but the guy said they were all signed.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Excellent show I must say. Were they only selling signed posters for $120? I wanted to pick one up unsigned but the guy said they were all signed.
OFFLINE |  
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
07-18-2010, 11:11 PM

Right In Two. Did I mention Right In Two? Btw, the did Right In Two. Also, for those wondering- they did Right In Two.

Now... I did not get Intension! But I am going to make way for other reviews first. I have a few things to say. But for now I think I'll eat my burger and just think.

/waves at junior
Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Right In Two. Did I mention Right In Two? Btw, the did Right In Two. Also, for those wondering- they did Right In Two.

Now... I did not get Intension! But I am going to make way for other reviews first. I have a few things to say. But for now I think I'll eat my burger and just think.

/waves at junior
OFFLINE |  
SHUT_up_AND_buy
07-18-2010, 11:35 PM

First Tool concert I have ever been to and it went even beyond my expectations!!!!
Danny wore a fucking kobe jersey which was awesome and his drum solos were unreal
Maynards voice was perfect aswell!
I loved the setlist but was surprised they changed it up... I'm wondering what theyre gonna play tomorrow... luckily I have tix so I will get to see for myself!

It was really easy to grab a poster and security was not a problem... the guy next to me was lighting up a joint all night and didnt even get glanced at and I saw lots of people video taping shit

One of the best nights of my life!... enough said

Last edited by SHUT_up_AND_buy; 07-18-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

First Tool concert I have ever been to and it went even beyond my expectations!!!!
Danny wore a fucking kobe jersey which was awesome and his drum solos were unreal
I loved the setlist but was surprised they changed it up... I'm wondering what theyre gonna play tomorrow... luckily I have tix so I will get to see for myself!

It was really easy to grab a poster and security was not a problem... the guy next to me was lighting up a joint all night and didnt even get glanced at and I saw lots of people video taping shit

Last edited by SHUT_up_AND_buy; 07-18-2010 at 11:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
SJC91's Avatar SJC91
07-18-2010, 11:44 PM

Ive never seen the entire band so energized in my life. Maynard was dancing...Danny was fucking on FIRE. Ive never seen that man so alive in the 7 times that I've had the privilege of seeing them. I was literally in awe the whole time. Best show I've seen in my life. I'm thinking the rly long "jam" they did between one of the songs is definitely new material. I cant wait to see what they have in store for tomorrow. Im not going to get my hopes up but considering what they played tonight...wow.

Also, incase anyone missed it, they were selling the pair of Red Rocks posters with a PAINTING done by Adam going across the two. I asked the price and when the merchants responded with $3500 I was like no way in hell anyone will buy that, literally a minute later it was sold. They also had two drumheads used by Danny, signe by all the band members, with a big septagram and eye drawn on it, and with a doodle by Adam on it for $300. If I had the money I would have snatched that up in a second, but sadly I couldnt :-/....finally they also had tomorrow nights poster along with tonights poster with the signatures going down the MIDDLE bleeding onto both posters for $300.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Ive never seen the entire band so energized in my life. Maynard was dancing...Danny was fucking on FIRE. Ive never seen that man so alive in the 7 times that I've had the privilege of seeing them. I was literally in awe the whole time. Best show I've seen in my life. I'm thinking the rly long "jam" they did between one of the songs is definitely new material. I cant wait to see what they have in store for tomorrow. Im not going to get my hopes up but considering what they played tonight...wow.

Also, incase anyone missed it, they were selling the pair of Red Rocks posters with a PAINTING done by Adam going across the two. I asked the price and when the merchants responded with $3500 I was like no way in hell anyone will buy that, literally a minute later it was sold. They also had two drumheads used by Danny, signe by all the band members, with a big septagram and eye drawn on it, and with a doodle by Adam on it for $300. If I had the money I would have snatched that up in a second, but sadly I couldnt :-/....finally they also had tomorrow nights poster along with tonights poster with the signatures going down the MIDDLE bleeding onto both posters for $300.
07-18-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thompson View Post
there were plenty of unsigned posters... maybe they ran out?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thompson View Post
there were plenty of unsigned posters... maybe they ran out?
OFFLINE |  
livid star's Avatar livid star
07-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Sitting in a nice steamy jet tub as I type this from my lovely hotel.

WOW. Thank you, yet again Tool, for another memorable experience.

The set list alteration happened on the first night, as opposed to tomorrow.

Though they did not play the full version of Intension, it was briefly given the first several notes \
before they bust into Right in Two.

I've only seen RIT 2 or 3 times, after tonight. Nothing more can be said other than AMAZING!

Ohh, the hits didn't stop there. FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Killed it, I mean KILLLLED!

Tomorrow night will likely go back to the same ole, but it's always other-worldly to hear
Adam do EBA. Most transient tune of theirs, IMO.

OMG Danny crushing my soul with his powerful beats.

Still basking in the metaphorical high. <3<3<3TOOL!<3<3<3
Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Though they did not play the full version of Intension, it was briefly given the first several notes \

I've only seen RIT 2 or 3 times, after tonight. Nothing more can be said other than AMAZING!

Ohh, the hits didn't stop there. FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Killed it, I mean KILLLLED!

Tomorrow night will likely go back to the same ole, but it's always other-worldly to hear

07-19-2010, 12:13 AM

Thank you TOOL for another AMAZING show. <3!!

Crowd seemed to really be into it. Several times you could hear just about everyone singing along.

Maynard said at one point that it didn't matter what was going on outside, because it wasn't going to affect what was about to happen inside, something along those lines. Also held up scorecards for the drum solo during Lateralus (9 for Gino, flipped to 6 for Danny). "See, I told you it would turn out alright" Something about "after we'll go find a hooker".

Graphics and lights were awesome. Maynards voice sounded great. Danny was, as someone else put it, on fire. Adam and Justin sounded on it as well.

+1 Eoafa. end thread/ -Kelly
Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3227

Thank you TOOL for another AMAZING show. <3!!

Crowd seemed to really be into it. Several times you could hear just about everyone singing along.

Maynard said at one point that it didn't matter what was going on outside, because it wasn't going to affect what was about to happen inside, something along those lines. Also held up scorecards for the drum solo during Lateralus (9 for Gino, flipped to 6 for Danny). "See, I told you it would turn out alright" Something about "after we'll go find a hooker".

Graphics and lights were awesome. Maynards voice sounded great. Danny was, as someone else put it, on fire. Adam and Justin sounded on it as well.

OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
07-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Great show. Thanks to Ticketmaster cancelling my July 21st tickets I had to go to Stub Hub. For 400 dollars my daughter and I got to be in the front row right in front of Adam. Flood and Right In Two just made it better.

I did see something new. Ive seen Adams guitar strap with the all flair on it before. But has he always worn a small Spongebob pin on his right breast pocket?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Great show. Thanks to Ticketmaster cancelling my July 21st tickets I had to go to Stub Hub. For 400 dollars my daughter and I got to be in the front row right in front of Adam. Flood and Right In Two just made it better.

I did see something new. Ive seen Adams guitar strap with the all flair on it before. But has he always worn a small Spongebob pin on his right breast pocket?
OFFLINE |  
whoremoans's Avatar whoremoans
07-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Just back from Nokia. After having just seen them at Viejas on thursday I went into this show kicking myself for not getting a ticket for night two at Nokia so I could see them play an alternate (somewhat) setlist...and low and behold fell ass-backwards into one.

The setlist was almost the same as night two at redrocks, minus "intension" sadly. Once I heard "Right in Two" start playing I thought that one was on the way as well....still "Flood" was so so sick. I suppose tomorrow you people attending that show will get "intolerence" and "the patient"...hold onto your balls.

Love the Nokia theatre. Great place to see TOOL play, not really a bad seat in the house. I had a mezz seat and it was still a great view. For anyone who hasn't had a chance to see them play there, I highly recommend going next time around. Hopefully they'll play a date there when they tour for their next album. Much more comfortable than Staples.

As far as "Maynardisms" go...he pretty much said the same things he's said at all the other shows this summer. He did tell the drummer from Rajas to hurry up and finish the drum battle so he and Maynard could go find some hookers after the show. Yeah he was drinking his wine again too. Don't think that 13 step program worked too good for him this summer.

The show killed...can't wait for next time around....would love to hear them take "Jimmy" out and let it breathe next tour.

p.s. anyone else see that set of Adam art added red rocks event posters at the merch booth. Price was 3,500.00. I got so excited when I saw those posters..felt around in my pockets and had a five and three ones. Told the merch guy I'd come back and pay him the rest later...he didn't fall for it though. They get smarter every year.

good night.

Last edited by whoremoans; 07-19-2010 at 12:47 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Just back from Nokia. After having just seen them at Viejas on thursday I went into this show kicking myself for not getting a ticket for night two at Nokia so I could see them play an alternate (somewhat) setlist...and low and behold fell ass-backwards into one.

The setlist was almost the same as night two at redrocks, minus "intension" sadly. Once I heard "Right in Two" start playing I thought that one was on the way as well....still "Flood" was so so sick. I suppose tomorrow you people attending that show will get "intolerence" and "the patient"...hold onto your balls.

Love the Nokia theatre. Great place to see TOOL play, not really a bad seat in the house. I had a mezz seat and it was still a great view. For anyone who hasn't had a chance to see them play there, I highly recommend going next time around. Hopefully they'll play a date there when they tour for their next album. Much more comfortable than Staples.

As far as "Maynardisms" go...he pretty much said the same things he's said at all the other shows this summer. He did tell the drummer from Rajas to hurry up and finish the drum battle so he and Maynard could go find some hookers after the show. Yeah he was drinking his wine again too. Don't think that 13 step program worked too good for him this summer.

The show killed...can't wait for next time around....would love to hear them take "Jimmy" out and let it breathe next tour.

p.s. anyone else see that set of Adam art added red rocks event posters at the merch booth. Price was 3,500.00. I got so excited when I saw those posters..felt around in my pockets and had a five and three ones. Told the merch guy I'd come back and pay him the rest later...he didn't fall for it though. They get smarter every year.

good night.

Last edited by whoremoans; 07-19-2010 at 12:47 AM..
OFFLINE |  
chunk's Avatar chunk
07-19-2010, 01:05 AM

This was the first time I've been to the Nokia Center and I read somewhere that this venue was built with acoustics as priority number #1. I was just left of center and let me just say the sound was flipping amazing!!! Mayanard's voice was clear and not muffled at all. The bass and guitar sounded great, but OMFG, those drums took tonights show to a whole new level. The drums were so earth shattering that my balls were rattled, litterally!

I was very happy to hear Right in Two. Before tonight I've only heard RIT live once and that was across the street at Staples and I thought the sound quality really sucked there, but tonight's performance was just unbelievable.

I could keep going on about how amazing the show was, but I won't. One of the best tool shows I've seen/heard in a while especially the quality of the sound. I just wish they would change the setlist a little more often. Ever since the release of 10,000 days they have basically stuck with the same set of songs; not a whole lot of deviation. Don't they get a little bored playing the same songs night in and night out. I know I would. Oh well, as long as they keep playing live shows I'll be happy regardless.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

This was the first time I've been to the Nokia Center and I read somewhere that this venue was built with acoustics as priority number #1. I was just left of center and let me just say the sound was flipping amazing!!! Mayanard's voice was clear and not muffled at all. The bass and guitar sounded great, but OMFG, those drums took tonights show to a whole new level. The drums were so earth shattering that my balls were rattled, litterally!

I was very happy to hear Right in Two. Before tonight I've only heard RIT live once and that was across the street at Staples and I thought the sound quality really sucked there, but tonight's performance was just unbelievable.

I could keep going on about how amazing the show was, but I won't. One of the best tool shows I've seen/heard in a while especially the quality of the sound. I just wish they would change the setlist a little more often. Ever since the release of 10,000 days they have basically stuck with the same set of songs; not a whole lot of deviation. Don't they get a little bored playing the same songs night in and night out. I know I would. Oh well, as long as they keep playing live shows I'll be happy regardless.
OFFLINE |  
Petie
07-19-2010, 02:23 AM

I almost wasn't sure I was going to catch this show as I had been calling/going to nokia/staple center's box office and was consistently told that it was completely sold out. Thank god it wasn't when I biked downtown and got orchestra seats. Alex grey was sitting a few seats over with As this is my first Tool concert, I can honestly say that was one of the best shows I've ever had the privilege to experience. I enjoyed it so much that I'm thinking I want to go to tomorrows show. Do you think they're going to play the same setlist?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

I almost wasn't sure I was going to catch this show as I had been calling/going to nokia/staple center's box office and was consistently told that it was completely sold out. Thank god it wasn't when I biked downtown and got orchestra seats. Alex grey was sitting a few seats over with As this is my first Tool concert, I can honestly say that was one of the best shows I've ever had the privilege to experience. I enjoyed it so much that I'm thinking I want to go to tomorrows show. Do you think they're going to play the same setlist?
OFFLINE |  
orgbd02
07-19-2010, 02:25 AM

Still can't sleep. Ive seen Tool many times since the release of Undertow. It has been too long since I have seen them perform live in such quality venue. Every song was performed with so much passion felt like I was in a time warp the whole time.

I must say i am used to seeing Tool amassed in a croud of sweaty humanity at some sort of festival setting at the end of a very long day in the desert. It was a treat to have a seat number, but im looking forward to the day where I can't tell if I am wet from my own sweat.

Sounds gross but I'm not ready to grow up yet. Looking forward to tomorrow night.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Still can't sleep. Ive seen Tool many times since the release of Undertow. It has been too long since I have seen them perform live in such quality venue. Every song was performed with so much passion felt like I was in a time warp the whole time.

I must say i am used to seeing Tool amassed in a croud of sweaty humanity at some sort of festival setting at the end of a very long day in the desert. It was a treat to have a seat number, but im looking forward to the day where I can't tell if I am wet from my own sweat.

Sounds gross but I'm not ready to grow up yet. Looking forward to tomorrow night.
OFFLINE |  
Jimmyxxxx
07-19-2010, 06:08 AM

I am taking my son to the Monday night show anyone know approximate time they took the stage..? Hope this is right thread thanks..
Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

I am taking my son to the Monday night show anyone know approximate time they took the stage..? Hope this is right thread thanks..
OFFLINE |  
livid star's Avatar livid star
07-19-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyxxxx View Post
Anytime from 9:00-9:15p
Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #17

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Anytime from 9:00-9:15p
07-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post

not the exact same set list...the patient and intolerence along with the other usuals of their set list. would be nice to think that it being the last show of the summer tour they'd surprise everyone with a song or two they have'nt done this tour, but not likely to happen.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post

not the exact same set list...the patient and intolerence along with the other usuals of their set list. would be nice to think that it being the last show of the summer tour they'd surprise everyone with a song or two they have'nt done this tour, but not likely to happen.
07-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
They got on at 9:20.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3227

Quote:
They got on at 9:20.

OFFLINE |  
aevasquez's Avatar aevasquez
07-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Was my first time at Nokia. And I'm not impressed. The seating is horrible for short ppl. My friend had a horrible time trying to see. But the sound was insane. You could really feel Danny's pounding. Gave me goosebumps. His solo in Right In Two was the shit!!!

I was disappointed with the setlist all but Third Eye. I don't know why the just don't open with Timothy Leary every show. That lil speech details everything that Tool is about.

So now I'm gonna blow more money just so I can see intolerance and EBA/The patient. I saw the RR POSTER that was going for 3500. Wow!!! If I only was rich. I actually didn't like the SE shirts. They sucked and were way overpriced. Just picked a $40 tour one and a wrench key chain. Freaking love it!!!

And final note. It was super easy getting down to orchestra level. I had crappy loge seats and said fack it. We were able to sit behind Alex Grey down in orchestra. That was very cool.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Was my first time at Nokia. And I'm not impressed. The seating is horrible for short ppl. My friend had a horrible time trying to see. But the sound was insane. You could really feel Danny's pounding. Gave me goosebumps. His solo in Right In Two was the shit!!!

I was disappointed with the setlist all but Third Eye. I don't know why the just don't open with Timothy Leary every show. That lil speech details everything that Tool is about.

So now I'm gonna blow more money just so I can see intolerance and EBA/The patient. I saw the RR POSTER that was going for 3500. Wow!!! If I only was rich. I actually didn't like the SE shirts. They sucked and were way overpriced. Just picked a $40 tour one and a wrench key chain. Freaking love it!!!

And final note. It was super easy getting down to orchestra level. I had crappy loge seats and said fack it. We were able to sit behind Alex Grey down in orchestra. That was very cool.
07-19-2010, 10:56 AM

My first time at Nokia Theatre too, goddamn that is some impressive acoustics. That's how I like to hear Maynard, miles better than any other venue that I've seen them at, especially Staples. Ugh. We were front+left orchestra, a couple of tall dudes in front of me but the slope was enough so that I could see perfectly through their shoulders. The lighting was so intense, too, the lasers seemed a lot more intricate this time.

I overspent at the merch booths as usual. Tool is the only band I would pay $40 a shirt for. Wish I could have overspent another $300 or so :(

This was my fourth Tool show and I gotta say, I would get tired of playing Schism and 46&2 night after night for ten years. But I sure as hell won't. I will never get tired of Lateralus, and I will never get tired of hearing "spiral out, keep going" resonating through the crowd. Jambi and Right in Two were above and beyond the mark as usual, too. Fucking phenomenal experience. I'm a little disappointed every time we don't get 10k days but I was lucky enough to be spoiled a few years back at Staples with their first live rendition of it so I shouldn't complain. I'm glad we got Flood though, goddamn that is great to hear live.

Rajas was... ok. Best band I've seen open for Tour yet, which I'm not sure says a lot after In This Moment. I really liked Technical Difficulties because it sounded so different but the rest I wasn't a fan of. Gino is a beast though, that drum battle was great.

edit: Oh yeah, someone said that the security was really relaxed. Not in my section, we had people walking up and down, shining lights everywhere, and coming into the aisles just to tell people to put their cellphone cameras down. It stopped after half an hour or so but I was right on the aisle and couldn't find a chance to get a picture of the guys. :(

Last edited by Jarnet; 07-19-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

My first time at Nokia Theatre too, goddamn that is some impressive acoustics. That's how I like to hear Maynard, miles better than any other venue that I've seen them at, especially Staples. Ugh. We were front+left orchestra, a couple of tall dudes in front of me but the slope was enough so that I could see perfectly through their shoulders. The lighting was so intense, too, the lasers seemed a lot more intricate this time.

I overspent at the merch booths as usual. Tool is the only band I would pay $40 a shirt for. Wish I could have overspent another $300 or so :(

This was my fourth Tool show and I gotta say, I would get tired of playing Schism and 46&2 night after night for ten years. But I sure as hell won't. I will never get tired of Lateralus, and I will never get tired of hearing "spiral out, keep going" resonating through the crowd. Jambi and Right in Two were above and beyond the mark as usual, too. Fucking phenomenal experience. I'm a little disappointed every time we don't get 10k days but I was lucky enough to be spoiled a few years back at Staples with their first live rendition of it so I shouldn't complain. I'm glad we got Flood though, goddamn that is great to hear live.

Rajas was... ok. Best band I've seen open for Tour yet, which I'm not sure says a lot after In This Moment. I really liked Technical Difficulties because it sounded so different but the rest I wasn't a fan of. Gino is a beast though, that drum battle was great.

edit: Oh yeah, someone said that the security was really relaxed. Not in my section, we had people walking up and down, shining lights everywhere, and coming into the aisles just to tell people to put their cellphone cameras down. It stopped after half an hour or so but I was right on the aisle and couldn't find a chance to get a picture of the guys. :(

Last edited by Jarnet; 07-19-2010 at 11:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
AcridMemory
07-19-2010, 01:05 PM

What a great show, fantastic sound....great energy. I wont repeat what everyone else has said....I will only add, did anyone else catch Justin taking a monster rip off of his pipe before Lateralus?? It was sitting on his head/cab he turned his back to the audience and took a couple huge hits hahaha...I was orchestra left in the very front so I had a very clear view of him doing it....oh and to the previous poster sorry...I was one of those tall dudes blocking your view!! I cant help being 6'5 man, I tried to slouch ;-)

OHH...and did anyone else get to talk to Alex Grey??? He was there with his wife and daughter...saw him before the show at the ticket booth and in front of the merch
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

What a great show, fantastic sound....great energy. I wont repeat what everyone else has said....I will only add, did anyone else catch Justin taking a monster rip off of his pipe before Lateralus?? It was sitting on his head/cab he turned his back to the audience and took a couple huge hits hahaha...I was orchestra left in the very front so I had a very clear view of him doing it....oh and to the previous poster sorry...I was one of those tall dudes blocking your view!! I cant help being 6'5 man, I tried to slouch ;-)

OHH...and did anyone else get to talk to Alex Grey??? He was there with his wife and daughter...saw him before the show at the ticket booth and in front of the merch
OFFLINE |  
spiralout262
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post

dude, sitting in a bathtub with a computer? I don't wanna read a post knowing that you wrote it naked in a bathtub!!! come on bro, really? dry off, cover your junk and THEN write something....Show #36, i'm on my way to L.A.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post

dude, sitting in a bathtub with a computer? I don't wanna read a post knowing that you wrote it naked in a bathtub!!! come on bro, really? dry off, cover your junk and THEN write something....Show #36, i'm on my way to L.A.
OFFLINE |  
forty6and2's Avatar forty6and2
07-19-2010, 01:17 PM

The show was amazing, at least in the sound and from what visuals I could see.

We had Orch seats, row K in the 500 section very far to the left, so our view was not good at all. At least not for me, being 5'5 with 6 ft tall people in front of me.

We got to the venue around 8:40 and figured we had time to grab some drinks before Tool. Damn traffic... We didn't think Tool would go on till close to 10pm, so we go in find our seats, go grab drinks and before we know it, we hear the opening to Third Eye and hauled ass to our seats trying not to spill our overpriced beer.

It was amazing to see Third Eye live, and I never tire of hearing Lateralus or 46 & 2. I was bummed that from our point of view, during 46 & 2 Maynard was behind the screen and I couldn't see him at all. In fact, I couldn't see much of Maynard most of the show, but the times I was able to see him clearly, it was great. He was so into it, dancing around and full of energy. Danny's solos were amazing and the battle with Gino was epic as I had expected it would be! The entire show had me floored as usual when I see them. I had seen Right in Two before live, so I was really hoping for Intolerance and The Patient, so I'll be jealous if they play these tonight, which I'm sure they will. Right in Two was fantastic though and I always love hearing Aenima, which was a fucking fantastic way to end the show last night in L.A.

I sang along with Maynard the whole show and just let myself go in the experience as usual. As he said in the beginning "Whatever is going on outside of these walls doesn't matter, it's not going to affect what happens in here for the next two hours. Tonight it's about us" or something along those lines, I can't remember what it was he said, but it was exactly what happened. I loved watching everyone just lose themselves in the music and the moment, as I did myself. I loved being a part of the experience. I was so lost in the moment that it seemed to go by so fast and I wished it would never end.

I wish I could do it again tonight, but there will be a next time, so I'll have to wait until then.

The only thing I would have done different is bring in my stash next time. Security was not checking for that and didn't care. I think this is the first out of the 4 times I've seen them, where the people who are smoking next to you or in front of you weren't passing just to make the experience that much more amazing for everyone. In the past when I've brought mine, I always share, though I understand the economy is tough and we all spent a grip on tickets, lol.... There were a few people in our section talking about it loud enough for the stingy tokers to hear, lol, so that was pretty funny.

I also got tired of seeing people trying to take video and pictures with their phones. Security shining the light down the aisles every few minutes was annoying, but after a while they just didn't care anymore and it wasn't an issue.

I'd love to see them at the Nokia again, but this time if I couldn't be right in front of the stage on the floor, I'd rather sit in the loge or mezzanine where I had a full view of the stage and visuals.

Last edited by forty6and2; 07-19-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

The show was amazing, at least in the sound and from what visuals I could see.

We had Orch seats, row K in the 500 section very far to the left, so our view was not good at all. At least not for me, being 5'5 with 6 ft tall people in front of me.

We got to the venue around 8:40 and figured we had time to grab some drinks before Tool. Damn traffic... We didn't think Tool would go on till close to 10pm, so we go in find our seats, go grab drinks and before we know it, we hear the opening to Third Eye and hauled ass to our seats trying not to spill our overpriced beer.

It was amazing to see Third Eye live, and I never tire of hearing Lateralus or 46 & 2. I was bummed that from our point of view, during 46 & 2 Maynard was behind the screen and I couldn't see him at all. In fact, I couldn't see much of Maynard most of the show, but the times I was able to see him clearly, it was great. He was so into it, dancing around and full of energy. Danny's solos were amazing and the battle with Gino was epic as I had expected it would be! The entire show had me floored as usual when I see them. I had seen Right in Two before live, so I was really hoping for Intolerance and The Patient, so I'll be jealous if they play these tonight, which I'm sure they will. Right in Two was fantastic though and I always love hearing Aenima, which was a fucking fantastic way to end the show last night in L.A.

I sang along with Maynard the whole show and just let myself go in the experience as usual. As he said in the beginning "Whatever is going on outside of these walls doesn't matter, it's not going to affect what happens in here for the next two hours. Tonight it's about us" or something along those lines, I can't remember what it was he said, but it was exactly what happened. I loved watching everyone just lose themselves in the music and the moment, as I did myself. I loved being a part of the experience. I was so lost in the moment that it seemed to go by so fast and I wished it would never end.

I wish I could do it again tonight, but there will be a next time, so I'll have to wait until then.

The only thing I would have done different is bring in my stash next time. Security was not checking for that and didn't care. I think this is the first out of the 4 times I've seen them, where the people who are smoking next to you or in front of you weren't passing just to make the experience that much more amazing for everyone. In the past when I've brought mine, I always share, though I understand the economy is tough and we all spent a grip on tickets, lol.... There were a few people in our section talking about it loud enough for the stingy tokers to hear, lol, so that was pretty funny.

I also got tired of seeing people trying to take video and pictures with their phones. Security shining the light down the aisles every few minutes was annoying, but after a while they just didn't care anymore and it wasn't an issue.

I'd love to see them at the Nokia again, but this time if I couldn't be right in front of the stage on the floor, I'd rather sit in the loge or mezzanine where I had a full view of the stage and visuals.

Last edited by forty6and2; 07-19-2010 at 01:20 PM..
OFFLINE |  
whoremoans's Avatar whoremoans
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout262 View Post
Uh, I think livid star is a chick.

alot of OMG's and <333 in that post...most guys don't use those.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout262 View Post
Uh, I think livid star is a chick.

alot of OMG's and <333 in that post...most guys don't use those.
07-19-2010, 03:10 PM

What a great show last night! Loge row E, center, a lil' to the right. Perfect view!! I stared at Danny all night long, mesmerized by his drumming.

I stay roughly 25 miles from L.A., traffic wasn't bad on the 110, found my lil parking spot for 5 bucks and off we went to see the show.

Ushers were pretty cool and welcoming. First time entering Nokie Center and they did a great job from the outside but the inside, seems a lil cramped.

I rocked out to Flood as I did at Epicenter last year. That song along with Jambi, Third Eye and Lateralus were the highlights for me. This show was hands down, the best experience I had watching Tool though couple of years ago, in Bakersfield, that show also was lotsa fun, but I'll rank last nights show as my # 1.

People for the most part were cool, security was tight but they relaxed towards the end of the show. The sound in the center was spectacular: guitar riffs, bass and drum hits were great.

Downtown L.A. was hustling in business, everywhere I looked, there were TOOL fans, espn center, restaurants, etc. That was the main idea Anchutz (sp) owner of Staples center, to have concert goers stay and mingle within the hub.

Heading out again tonight, hopefully the boys have something great for us and I can't wait to hear EBA/The Patient!!!!!

Last edited by Ilovelatool; 07-19-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

What a great show last night! Loge row E, center, a lil' to the right. Perfect view!! I stared at Danny all night long, mesmerized by his drumming.

I stay roughly 25 miles from L.A., traffic wasn't bad on the 110, found my lil parking spot for 5 bucks and off we went to see the show.

Ushers were pretty cool and welcoming. First time entering Nokie Center and they did a great job from the outside but the inside, seems a lil cramped.

I rocked out to Flood as I did at Epicenter last year. That song along with Jambi, Third Eye and Lateralus were the highlights for me. This show was hands down, the best experience I had watching Tool though couple of years ago, in Bakersfield, that show also was lotsa fun, but I'll rank last nights show as my # 1.

People for the most part were cool, security was tight but they relaxed towards the end of the show. The sound in the center was spectacular: guitar riffs, bass and drum hits were great.

Downtown L.A. was hustling in business, everywhere I looked, there were TOOL fans, espn center, restaurants, etc. That was the main idea Anchutz (sp) owner of Staples center, to have concert goers stay and mingle within the hub.

Heading out again tonight, hopefully the boys have something great for us and I can't wait to hear EBA/The Patient!!!!!

Last edited by Ilovelatool; 07-19-2010 at 03:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
ladycommish's Avatar ladycommish
07-19-2010, 05:30 PM

kind of a shock to hear some songs. not your "regular" setlist nor like the one at red rocks night 2. everything was awesome. my first time in LA. the guys played well, everyone seemed to be in good spirits. well done, band and crew.
oh, the guys in the chef outfits were wearing gifts from the band. I think the masks and beer goggles were optional. lyrics from die eier von satan were printed on the front.

can't wait to see what tonight brings!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

kind of a shock to hear some songs. not your "regular" setlist nor like the one at red rocks night 2. everything was awesome. my first time in LA. the guys played well, everyone seemed to be in good spirits. well done, band and crew.
oh, the guys in the chef outfits were wearing gifts from the band. I think the masks and beer goggles were optional. lyrics from die eier von satan were printed on the front.

can't wait to see what tonight brings!
OFFLINE |  
sabbyp
07-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Ok... Where were you guys sitting, 'cause where I was, the sound was HORRIBLE. I started off on the side in the orchestra area, and the reverberation was ridiculous. Not accepting the idea of seeing Tool with horrible sound, I moved more to the centre. The sound was better there, but still really messy, although I think the sound guy managed to clean things up pretty well by the end. When Maynard said, "see, it all worked out in the end." I totally wondered if he was referring to the sound. This was my 8th time seeing tool in my 7th venue, and this definitely sounded the worst. Especially after how clear everything sounded in San Diego, it was so disappointing that a venue like the Nokia Theatre, that is supposed to be designed for this, didn't compare.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Ok... Where were you guys sitting, 'cause where I was, the sound was HORRIBLE. I started off on the side in the orchestra area, and the reverberation was ridiculous. Not accepting the idea of seeing Tool with horrible sound, I moved more to the centre. The sound was better there, but still really messy, although I think the sound guy managed to clean things up pretty well by the end. When Maynard said, "see, it all worked out in the end." I totally wondered if he was referring to the sound. This was my 8th time seeing tool in my 7th venue, and this definitely sounded the worst. Especially after how clear everything sounded in San Diego, it was so disappointing that a venue like the Nokia Theatre, that is supposed to be designed for this, didn't compare.
OFFLINE |  
hreems's Avatar hreems
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM

This is my 7th Tool Show, and I'm happy to say that it was easily one of the best if nothing else because of the venue. I can honestly say that had the show been at Staples again, I likely wouldn't have even gone but Nokia adds a whole new dimension to things. I sincerely think they built that place specifically for Tool concerts. The base was powerful enough to literally move my shirt, yet there was never any need for earplugs. The music was able to rattle my bones without hurting my ears. Must be black magic or something. And I loved the new, high def visuals. Way to go production guys.

I'm not as geeked up about Third Eye as everyone else. Yes the song has grown on me over the years, and I was curious to hear it live, but I'm not sure I would have opened with it. Kind of like showing up at a restaurant and shoving a filet mignon down your gullet before even having a cocktail. This song needs to be worked up to. But it sounded great nonetheless.

As for the rest of the show, I have to say that I got very angry when Maynard passed the mic to the crowd for the end of Vicarious. Kind of a puss move if you ask me. I'm all for singalongs, but not at such a climactic moment like that. I paid good money to hear Maynard sing, not the people behind me. I know he has to save his voice, but it's the second to last show on the Tour, and it's LA no less. We are an entitled lot only because they have spoiled us so much in the past. So right when the song was over I started screaming obsenities at Maynard for being a wuss, and my wife had to smack me to shut me up. And just when I was ready to start back up again, I heard the intro to Right in Two.

And all was forgiven.

What a treat. I love that song and to hear them absolutely nail it live was a sight to behold. During the solo when the change their time signatures ALA Lateralus, I made it a point to watch Danny closely. He is just not of this world and there is no other way to put it. I don't know much about drums, but I know this...that man was put on this planet to play them. He seriously looked like the Animal from the muppets, only more jacked and wearing a Laker's jersey. Nice touch.

Personally, I would have preferred to hear Intolerace as opposed to Flood, but there is no such thing as a perfect world so I will not bitch about that one. All I know is that my wife, who stayed sober to drive and is more of a Dave Matthew's fan than anything else, had this to say afterwards: "You don't need alcohol to get buzzed by that. Oh yeah, and Dave is a fucking pussy." Indeed.

-GKW
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

This is my 7th Tool Show, and I'm happy to say that it was easily one of the best if nothing else because of the venue. I can honestly say that had the show been at Staples again, I likely wouldn't have even gone but Nokia adds a whole new dimension to things. I sincerely think they built that place specifically for Tool concerts. The base was powerful enough to literally move my shirt, yet there was never any need for earplugs. The music was able to rattle my bones without hurting my ears. Must be black magic or something. And I loved the new, high def visuals. Way to go production guys.

I'm not as geeked up about Third Eye as everyone else. Yes the song has grown on me over the years, and I was curious to hear it live, but I'm not sure I would have opened with it. Kind of like showing up at a restaurant and shoving a filet mignon down your gullet before even having a cocktail. This song needs to be worked up to. But it sounded great nonetheless.

As for the rest of the show, I have to say that I got very angry when Maynard passed the mic to the crowd for the end of Vicarious. Kind of a puss move if you ask me. I'm all for singalongs, but not at such a climactic moment like that. I paid good money to hear Maynard sing, not the people behind me. I know he has to save his voice, but it's the second to last show on the Tour, and it's LA no less. We are an entitled lot only because they have spoiled us so much in the past. So right when the song was over I started screaming obsenities at Maynard for being a wuss, and my wife had to smack me to shut me up. And just when I was ready to start back up again, I heard the intro to Right in Two.

And all was forgiven.

What a treat. I love that song and to hear them absolutely nail it live was a sight to behold. During the solo when the change their time signatures ALA Lateralus, I made it a point to watch Danny closely. He is just not of this world and there is no other way to put it. I don't know much about drums, but I know this...that man was put on this planet to play them. He seriously looked like the Animal from the muppets, only more jacked and wearing a Laker's jersey. Nice touch.

Personally, I would have preferred to hear Intolerace as opposed to Flood, but there is no such thing as a perfect world so I will not bitch about that one. All I know is that my wife, who stayed sober to drive and is more of a Dave Matthew's fan than anything else, had this to say afterwards: "You don't need alcohol to get buzzed by that. Oh yeah, and Dave is a fucking pussy." Indeed.

-GKW
OFFLINE |  
Rachellex7
07-20-2010, 08:17 AM

Great night! We sat center 300's of the orchestra (next to the sound booth) and it made for a great vantage point. As always, they rocked... Highlight of the night for me was probably forty-six & 2... Damn! I have photos I'll attempt to upload. They are such an amazing band!

Photos: http://photobucket.com/latoolshows2010

Last edited by Rachellex7; 07-21-2010 at 07:20 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Great night! We sat center 300's of the orchestra (next to the sound booth) and it made for a great vantage point. As always, they rocked... Highlight of the night for me was probably forty-six & 2... Damn! I have photos I'll attempt to upload. They are such an amazing band!

Photos: http://photobucket.com/latoolshows2010

Last edited by Rachellex7; 07-21-2010 at 07:20 AM..
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
07-21-2010, 02:06 AM

Show # 6 for this tour and i think the setlist says it all. RIT & FLOOD!!! Just before their set started i got a text from someone i knew that was sitting by the soundboard that saw someone come over to the sound guy and say "they changed the set" having attended both Red Rocks shows and knowing the setlist from that night i was so ready to hear "Intension" again but was kinda bummed when they didn't. This lasted for a second once RIT started and then FLOOD... WOW!

I was able to get my camera in inside my bag and they didn't notice so i was able to just hit record and grab audio of the show and see what the staff scene was like for the second night. I did grab it to get RIT part of the Intermission and part of Lateralus and it doesn't sound that bad.

It's all about that GONG in Lateralus... BAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

One more to go and think i might need a vacation after this. Think i might go to work for a while. I hear they have paychecks there.
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Show # 6 for this tour and i think the setlist says it all. RIT & FLOOD!!! Just before their set started i got a text from someone i knew that was sitting by the soundboard that saw someone come over to the sound guy and say "they changed the set" having attended both Red Rocks shows and knowing the setlist from that night i was so ready to hear "Intension" again but was kinda bummed when they didn't. This lasted for a second once RIT started and then FLOOD... WOW!

I was able to get my camera in inside my bag and they didn't notice so i was able to just hit record and grab audio of the show and see what the staff scene was like for the second night. I did grab it to get RIT part of the Intermission and part of Lateralus and it doesn't sound that bad.

It's all about that GONG in Lateralus... BAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

One more to go and think i might need a vacation after this. Think i might go to work for a while. I hear they have paychecks there.
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
Sequoia225
07-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Finally getting to my comments......

What to say about this amazing night? - nice to have nearly front row center after all the LA ticketmaster fiasco with getting nearly front row for Wed , then TM saying to me all dates are getting refunded and the sale was a mistake - then they arent getting refunded - then Wed is on, then its cancelled - then theres a presale for Wed ticketholders to exchange to Sun or Mon, and all that came up was way in the back - until 40 minutes of me trying over and over and then nearly front row!!!! I swear I aged 5 years in those few weeks after that mistaken LA Nokia onsale mess.

but one thing I have to say above all else about tonight - esp since I expected the setlist for LA night 1 to be the same as the other 2 shows I saw in Seattle and San Diego............

RIGHT....... IN......... MOTHERFUCKINGCHRISTTHISSONGLIVEISALMOSTBETTERTHANS EX.....TWO!!!

(I said ALMOST)

YES Id really like to see Wings again as Im not sure anything they do live tops that, but but Right in Two is about as great live. Danny is ridiculous for this song. Maynards vocals for it were very loud and clear Esp during the "Fight till they die...over...." section. It was loud and clear and very powerful. This song is an amazing piece of writing with a great theme lyrically. This song this night was really the top moment for me of the 4 shows I saw.

Flood was also unexpected and REALLY REALLY fucking rocked.

Funny to see the comments here now after seeing the second night - now that they DID play Intension the second night - and played a 2nd different setlist from the majority of the shows.

The drum battle was excellent as it has been - and Maynard's arrow on paper pointing whose turn it was to show off, then leading to the 6-9 scoring and I laughed when he put up the "WTF?" on one sign and the "!#@%" on the other sign. Didnt catch what he said to to the Rajas drummer when he came on stage. something regarding that he was gonna read the paper till the solo was over which he did - but I didnt catch what he said. Still laughing though at the comments in a previous show where he said "let the drum faggotry begin!"

Its great to watch Danny and that other guy play off each other - that must be a blast for both of them.

And yes - as said before, that gong hit in Lateralus is in my head with anticipation during the whole song every time. Hell - I find myself watching Danny more than the anything else. Its amazing how much it seems like there should be 2 or 3 people playing all that he gets out of his arms and legs. Even the little bell roll at the start and middle of Vicarious - hes holding it seamlessly with the stick in his mouth while starting the main drum part. Theres so much of the electronic sounds they could just run along with the track but Danny is always back there finding a way to play it out with his parts.

sigh....its Wednesday and Im still reeling from these shows on Sun and Mon at Nokia

Only one thing was missing for me tonight - but nothing I can do about that.

Oh, and...............

RIGHT IN FUCKINGYESIMGONNASAYITAGAIN TWO!!!

Thank you Tool for doing that one on ONE of the LA dates......

Now lets see if Wings can make an appearance next time around??

Whatever - Im happy with what they played all around - but next time I DO think Im gonna NOT look at the setlists ahead of time - cause nothing was more exciting than on these 2 LA dates hearing them play something I wasnt expecting.

Last edited by Sequoia225; 07-21-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Finally getting to my comments......

What to say about this amazing night? - nice to have nearly front row center after all the LA ticketmaster fiasco with getting nearly front row for Wed , then TM saying to me all dates are getting refunded and the sale was a mistake - then they arent getting refunded - then Wed is on, then its cancelled - then theres a presale for Wed ticketholders to exchange to Sun or Mon, and all that came up was way in the back - until 40 minutes of me trying over and over and then nearly front row!!!! I swear I aged 5 years in those few weeks after that mistaken LA Nokia onsale mess.

but one thing I have to say above all else about tonight - esp since I expected the setlist for LA night 1 to be the same as the other 2 shows I saw in Seattle and San Diego............

RIGHT....... IN......... MOTHERFUCKINGCHRISTTHISSONGLIVEISALMOSTBETTERTHANS EX.....TWO!!!

(I said ALMOST)

YES Id really like to see Wings again as Im not sure anything they do live tops that, but but Right in Two is about as great live. Danny is ridiculous for this song. Maynards vocals for it were very loud and clear Esp during the "Fight till they die...over...." section. It was loud and clear and very powerful. This song is an amazing piece of writing with a great theme lyrically. This song this night was really the top moment for me of the 4 shows I saw.

Flood was also unexpected and REALLY REALLY fucking rocked.

Funny to see the comments here now after seeing the second night - now that they DID play Intension the second night - and played a 2nd different setlist from the majority of the shows.

The drum battle was excellent as it has been - and Maynard's arrow on paper pointing whose turn it was to show off, then leading to the 6-9 scoring and I laughed when he put up the "WTF?" on one sign and the "!#@%" on the other sign. Didnt catch what he said to to the Rajas drummer when he came on stage. something regarding that he was gonna read the paper till the solo was over which he did - but I didnt catch what he said. Still laughing though at the comments in a previous show where he said "let the drum faggotry begin!"

Its great to watch Danny and that other guy play off each other - that must be a blast for both of them.

And yes - as said before, that gong hit in Lateralus is in my head with anticipation during the whole song every time. Hell - I find myself watching Danny more than the anything else. Its amazing how much it seems like there should be 2 or 3 people playing all that he gets out of his arms and legs. Even the little bell roll at the start and middle of Vicarious - hes holding it seamlessly with the stick in his mouth while starting the main drum part. Theres so much of the electronic sounds they could just run along with the track but Danny is always back there finding a way to play it out with his parts.

sigh....its Wednesday and Im still reeling from these shows on Sun and Mon at Nokia

Only one thing was missing for me tonight - but nothing I can do about that.

Oh, and...............

RIGHT IN FUCKINGYESIMGONNASAYITAGAIN TWO!!!

Thank you Tool for doing that one on ONE of the LA dates......

Now lets see if Wings can make an appearance next time around??

Whatever - Im happy with what they played all around - but next time I DO think Im gonna NOT look at the setlists ahead of time - cause nothing was more exciting than on these 2 LA dates hearing them play something I wasnt expecting.

Last edited by Sequoia225; 07-21-2010 at 10:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
orgbd02
07-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia225 View Post

Great write up, I'm still literally getting goose bumps every time I think of the show. I definitely agree that I will refrain from reading the setlist prior to the next tour although it will be hard. I just realized that this was my 10th show overall and first since 2002 so I'm so glad I was able to hear so many songs from Ænima and a couple from Undertow.

Next time they come around they should have another 10 new songs to perform as well as their older material so these inspiring moments will be based on the future and not the past.

Will we ever get to see Third Eye again? Flood? I think Intolerance is a personal song for Maynard that we may see in the future but who knows.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia225 View Post

Great write up, I'm still literally getting goose bumps every time I think of the show. I definitely agree that I will refrain from reading the setlist prior to the next tour although it will be hard. I just realized that this was my 10th show overall and first since 2002 so I'm so glad I was able to hear so many songs from Ænima and a couple from Undertow.

Next time they come around they should have another 10 new songs to perform as well as their older material so these inspiring moments will be based on the future and not the past.

Will we ever get to see Third Eye again? Flood? I think Intolerance is a personal song for Maynard that we may see in the future but who knows.
OFFLINE |  
sarahethan
07-21-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHUT_up_AND_buy View Post

Not picking on you in particular, but since you said "drum solos" like soooo many other people have said, please stop calling them solos. They are drum sections within the songs and some could be considered just fills. Danny does not do a drum solo.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHUT_up_AND_buy View Post

Not picking on you in particular, but since you said "drum solos" like soooo many other people have said, please stop calling them solos. They are drum sections within the songs and some could be considered just fills. Danny does not do a drum solo.
OFFLINE |  
Dylanja
07-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Sunday night was a blast, so much fun drinking a variety of delicious beer and bs-ing. It was quite the geek-out Tool conversation. Then as my lil piece of paper kicked in, we got our drinks and as we were walking down to our seats the lights went out. We just kept going further and further. Finally reach our seats, look up and there's one guy on the rail between Adam Jones and I. Every time he'd mess with a pedal or synth he'd turn directly towards me. His hair covered most his face but there were a few times it felt like he was staring at me even though I couldn't tell for sure. The Jambi talk box solo was soooooo sick.

Directly behind him in the same line of sight stands Maynard. Sure he's not as energetic but the silhouette of him against the screen full of crazy visuals is pretty spectacular. He gets in some crazy stances and starts stomping, flailing his arms around, kicking and bending. It's cool because the screen behind goes black for a split second and then lights up a different color he looks completely different. Reznor used the same type of technique for LiTS.

The new version of third eye is as raw as ever. Sure he uses his megaphone, but when the music pauses and his muffled voice mumbles, "a child's rhyme stuck in my head" it sounded so trippy. Same with, "shrouding all the ground around me." In addition to an extended outro, I honestly don't think any other band can pull off such an epic opening track live.

Jambi was highlighted by the aforementioned talk box solo right in front of my face. That said, I wouldn't mind this song dropped for something else.

Stinkfist is great, the epitome of arena rock. One of my favorite beat drops ever. The breack down of green strobe lights when the drums get tribal is a favorite part of any Tool song for me. The extended version allows Danny to steal the spotlight and annihilate the drums for the first time of the night. The screens on the side of the stage started during this song.

Vicarious was cool, not a huge fan of the track but appreciated it earlier in the set. It's also where the lasers debuted and the crowd loved it. Maynard didn't sing the end (either night) per usual, but I would like to point out this is the only part he skipped during both shows.

Right in Two came out of nowhere and had me in disbelief. This is when I knew it was going to be a special night for me. Sounded absolutely incredible and the tabla solo sounded so crisp in the Nokia soundsystem. The tabla build up to the beat drop (sorry, don't have a better term) just flattened the crowd it seemed. So powerful, you could literally feel every instrument in your spine.

I was undoubtedly looking forward to Right In Two more than anything else. That said, Flood immediately followed it and put it to shame. Justin's bass just starts out so dirty and grimey I just can't get enough of it. Then Danny's militant drumming soon to be followed by Maynard's haunting elongated "water" lyrics. Thie first part of this song is so slow and heavy it's like it's winding itself up just to be released for second (much faster) part of the song.

Schism was standard, I would like to see it dropped but don't mind hearing it. The extended double time bridge is always awesome. Another chance for Danny to show off. His double bass at the end of the song just thuds.

46&2 is always a crowd pleaser and probably the crowd favorite. As glad as I was to hear it, I didn't miss it at all the second night. Another epic Danny solo highlighted by huge sacred geometry symbols rotating around him.

Lateralus, uplifting and awesome. Guest drummer I thought held his own quite well. Maynard made jokes about him, came out with score cards, gave him a 9 flipped it over and gave Danny a 6 acting unimpressed.

Aenima just get's nuts. Lasers are on overdrive, crowd is at a frenzy and the band giving it their all til the last note.

They switched up and weren't predictable for the first time in a long time. This went a long way with me. I got to hear the song I was hoping for which was all I really wanted coming in. Maynard was better than I would've thought and was engaging throughout.

The fact that they switched it up TWICE again the second night (two songs were expected to change, two were not) caught me by even more of a surpirse and pretty much answered any questions I had about the band living up to their potential.

Intension is unbelievable live and might've been my favorite part of night 2. Intolerance was also up there for me, another extended version of a classic. I have to say that I prefer ALL the extended live versions to the album versions. It keeps them fresh and different, imo. The Pot is great and I'm glad they brought it back in rotation. Such a pleasant surprise, especially considering it was the last of several surprises coming from a band that seemed all too predictable coming in.
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Sunday night was a blast, so much fun drinking a variety of delicious beer and bs-ing. It was quite the geek-out Tool conversation. Then as my lil piece of paper kicked in, we got our drinks and as we were walking down to our seats the lights went out. We just kept going further and further. Finally reach our seats, look up and there's one guy on the rail between Adam Jones and I. Every time he'd mess with a pedal or synth he'd turn directly towards me. His hair covered most his face but there were a few times it felt like he was staring at me even though I couldn't tell for sure. The Jambi talk box solo was soooooo sick.

Directly behind him in the same line of sight stands Maynard. Sure he's not as energetic but the silhouette of him against the screen full of crazy visuals is pretty spectacular. He gets in some crazy stances and starts stomping, flailing his arms around, kicking and bending. It's cool because the screen behind goes black for a split second and then lights up a different color he looks completely different. Reznor used the same type of technique for LiTS.

The new version of third eye is as raw as ever. Sure he uses his megaphone, but when the music pauses and his muffled voice mumbles, "a child's rhyme stuck in my head" it sounded so trippy. Same with, "shrouding all the ground around me." In addition to an extended outro, I honestly don't think any other band can pull off such an epic opening track live.

Jambi was highlighted by the aforementioned talk box solo right in front of my face. That said, I wouldn't mind this song dropped for something else.

Stinkfist is great, the epitome of arena rock. One of my favorite beat drops ever. The breack down of green strobe lights when the drums get tribal is a favorite part of any Tool song for me. The extended version allows Danny to steal the spotlight and annihilate the drums for the first time of the night. The screens on the side of the stage started during this song.

Vicarious was cool, not a huge fan of the track but appreciated it earlier in the set. It's also where the lasers debuted and the crowd loved it. Maynard didn't sing the end (either night) per usual, but I would like to point out this is the only part he skipped during both shows.

Right in Two came out of nowhere and had me in disbelief. This is when I knew it was going to be a special night for me. Sounded absolutely incredible and the tabla solo sounded so crisp in the Nokia soundsystem. The tabla build up to the beat drop (sorry, don't have a better term) just flattened the crowd it seemed. So powerful, you could literally feel every instrument in your spine.

I was undoubtedly looking forward to Right In Two more than anything else. That said, Flood immediately followed it and put it to shame. Justin's bass just starts out so dirty and grimey I just can't get enough of it. Then Danny's militant drumming soon to be followed by Maynard's haunting elongated "water" lyrics. Thie first part of this song is so slow and heavy it's like it's winding itself up just to be released for second (much faster) part of the song.

Schism was standard, I would like to see it dropped but don't mind hearing it. The extended double time bridge is always awesome. Another chance for Danny to show off. His double bass at the end of the song just thuds.

46&2 is always a crowd pleaser and probably the crowd favorite. As glad as I was to hear it, I didn't miss it at all the second night. Another epic Danny solo highlighted by huge sacred geometry symbols rotating around him.

Lateralus, uplifting and awesome. Guest drummer I thought held his own quite well. Maynard made jokes about him, came out with score cards, gave him a 9 flipped it over and gave Danny a 6 acting unimpressed.

Aenima just get's nuts. Lasers are on overdrive, crowd is at a frenzy and the band giving it their all til the last note.

They switched up and weren't predictable for the first time in a long time. This went a long way with me. I got to hear the song I was hoping for which was all I really wanted coming in. Maynard was better than I would've thought and was engaging throughout.

The fact that they switched it up TWICE again the second night (two songs were expected to change, two were not) caught me by even more of a surpirse and pretty much answered any questions I had about the band living up to their potential.

Intension is unbelievable live and might've been my favorite part of night 2. Intolerance was also up there for me, another extended version of a classic. I have to say that I prefer ALL the extended live versions to the album versions. It keeps them fresh and different, imo. The Pot is great and I'm glad they brought it back in rotation. Such a pleasant surprise, especially considering it was the last of several surprises coming from a band that seemed all too predictable coming in.
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
OFFLINE |  
yerom17's Avatar yerom17
07-22-2010, 09:21 PM

lets see... third eye amazing!!! jambi.. also really great live same with stinkfist. Vicarious is ok but the lasers make up for it in many ways. plus the screens. Right in two blew my mind and i've never seen that one live before.. Flood was fucking killer as usual and i love shouting "here comes the water!" ahah. schism was same old same old but i love the breakdown that they do live. 46+2 always killer live. and lateralus and aenima were very very top notch. over all pretty much the most amazing night of my life.. besides the next day which topped it by like x10. ahah. but anyway yeah TOOL!!! was looking around for some OGT's in their undertow shirts and only caught 1 ~! ahah idk.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #36

lets see... third eye amazing!!! jambi.. also really great live same with stinkfist. Vicarious is ok but the lasers make up for it in many ways. plus the screens. Right in two blew my mind and i've never seen that one live before.. Flood was fucking killer as usual and i love shouting "here comes the water!" ahah. schism was same old same old but i love the breakdown that they do live. 46+2 always killer live. and lateralus and aenima were very very top notch. over all pretty much the most amazing night of my life.. besides the next day which topped it by like x10. ahah. but anyway yeah TOOL!!! was looking around for some OGT's in their undertow shirts and only caught 1 ~! ahah idk.
OFFLINE |  
EMX
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM

My wife got me tickets for my 30th bday....we flew from NY to see the show....first time in LA. Second Tool show for us. We saw them in Buffalo on the Laterlus tour. This show was miles above that last one I saw. The energy was insane, Tool and the crowd were all amped up.... just awesome. I have been dying to hear 46&2 and Right In two live and I got my wish..... though I was really hoping for pushit (otrm). I did like the venue I felt like I was on stage with them, the sound was great. I can't wait to see them again. Good show Tool...thank you for an awesome night.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #37
EMX
Level 1 - Lurker

My wife got me tickets for my 30th bday....we flew from NY to see the show....first time in LA. Second Tool show for us. We saw them in Buffalo on the Laterlus tour. This show was miles above that last one I saw. The energy was insane, Tool and the crowd were all amped up.... just awesome. I have been dying to hear 46&2 and Right In two live and I got my wish..... though I was really hoping for pushit (otrm). I did like the venue I felt like I was on stage with them, the sound was great. I can't wait to see them again. Good show Tool...thank you for an awesome night.
07-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMX View Post
what a wife!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMX View Post
what a wife!
08-11-2010, 01:12 PM

This show was out of this world! My only issue was that I got so drunk at the YardHouse beforehand.
Did an interview with FuseTV before the show as well, right after picking up my gig poster. I was hammed and couldn't remember COSM and called it the Hall of Sacred Mirrors :(
I walked away from the interview thinking that the dude looked like Mark from Blink 182, turned out that it was. He's got a show starting in Sept.
RAJAS KICKED ASS! Every other show I was at had Dalek opening, and I've gotta say, it wasn't my style. I listened to them on MySpace hoping to hear something that would get me into it, but it didn't work.
Thanks for a couple great nights Los Angeles
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

This show was out of this world! My only issue was that I got so drunk at the YardHouse beforehand.
Did an interview with FuseTV before the show as well, right after picking up my gig poster. I was hammed and couldn't remember COSM and called it the Hall of Sacred Mirrors :(
I walked away from the interview thinking that the dude looked like Mark from Blink 182, turned out that it was. He's got a show starting in Sept.
RAJAS KICKED ASS! Every other show I was at had Dalek opening, and I've gotta say, it wasn't my style. I listened to them on MySpace hoping to hear something that would get me into it, but it didn't work.
Thanks for a couple great nights Los Angeles
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply