Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2010
User Name
Password
thelastsuperpower
07-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentine View Post
umm....yeah thats kinda how he's done it since 1994.....its about the music not the musicians

Gotta love the mindless sheep who think that anything TOOL puts their stinky fingers on is automatically gold. Besides, if was all about the music, we wouldn't be getting the same set (minus a couple of minor changes) for the past 4 years. It's most definitely all about the money these days. How else would a once pioneering band explain the same set and stage show for years on end?

I was at the show in Sac-town and the one on 7/1 in St. Paul. My 43rd and 44th(albeit mostly pre-2001), so i think i earned my right to not blindly keep my tongue firmly inserted in this band's metaphorical ass. First off, the "amazing" new light show looks like it was purchased at a Trent Reznor garage sale after he decided to stop the touring version of NIN. Looks cheesy and generic combined with the HD projection graphics the band has used for years. Really out of place. Second, El Nardo has become almost useless these days on stage, especially the show in MN. Whats up? If he doesn;t want to do it, then don't. I know the lure of his boyfirend's penis and desert wine is tremendously overwhelmming but thousands of fans paid to see a TOOL show, including vocals.

It's a shame the 'nard can't seem to put as much focus into keeping his voice in shape as he does stompin grapes. Whats with bringin that Arizona version of Boones farm on stage anyway? I thought he wanted to keep the two "entities seperate"? I've seen first hand how this egomaniac treats TOOL fans, and the like, like pure turds when they show up at his ridiculous supermarket wine signings and has the audacity to complain then turns around and brings that garbage on stage with him. Oh and the taking pictures with his camera phone in an attempt to mock the crowd was just plain stupid. I say learn to sing your parts before trying to make a weak attempt at being funny.

This band was once groundbreaking and innovative, but it hasn't been that way for quite some while. I will always support the 3 actual musicians the band has left. Danny is the greatest drummer around, imo. Let me know when El Nardo pulls his head out of his ass. TOOL has officially gotten complacent and lazy (particularly maynard). They are now officially following the trend instead of setting it.

Last edited by thelastsuperpower; 07-15-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.13.2010 - Sacramento, CA @ Arco Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentine View Post
umm....yeah thats kinda how he's done it since 1994.....its about the music not the musicians

Gotta love the mindless sheep who think that anything TOOL puts their stinky fingers on is automatically gold. Besides, if was all about the music, we wouldn't be getting the same set (minus a couple of minor changes) for the past 4 years. It's most definitely all about the money these days. How else would a once pioneering band explain the same set and stage show for years on end?

I was at the show in Sac-town and the one on 7/1 in St. Paul. My 43rd and 44th(albeit mostly pre-2001), so i think i earned my right to not blindly keep my tongue firmly inserted in this band's metaphorical ass. First off, the "amazing" new light show looks like it was purchased at a Trent Reznor garage sale after he decided to stop the touring version of NIN. Looks cheesy and generic combined with the HD projection graphics the band has used for years. Really out of place. Second, El Nardo has become almost useless these days on stage, especially the show in MN. Whats up? If he doesn;t want to do it, then don't. I know the lure of his boyfirend's penis and desert wine is tremendously overwhelmming but thousands of fans paid to see a TOOL show, including vocals.

It's a shame the 'nard can't seem to put as much focus into keeping his voice in shape as he does stompin grapes. Whats with bringin that Arizona version of Boones farm on stage anyway? I thought he wanted to keep the two "entities seperate"? I've seen first hand how this egomaniac treats TOOL fans, and the like, like pure turds when they show up at his ridiculous supermarket wine signings and has the audacity to complain then turns around and brings that garbage on stage with him. Oh and the taking pictures with his camera phone in an attempt to mock the crowd was just plain stupid. I say learn to sing your parts before trying to make a weak attempt at being funny.

This band was once groundbreaking and innovative, but it hasn't been that way for quite some while. I will always support the 3 actual musicians the band has left. Danny is the greatest drummer around, imo. Let me know when El Nardo pulls his head out of his ass. TOOL has officially gotten complacent and lazy (particularly maynard). They are now officially following the trend instead of setting it.

Last edited by thelastsuperpower; 07-15-2010 at 12:13 PM..
OFFLINE |  
thelastsuperpower
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM

And whats up with Maynard asking each and every crowd about time machines before playing "Intolerance"? Is it that big of a treat for a crowd to see a band play an old song (that they themselves wrote) during their set? I see bands do it everyday, but apparantly when 'Nard the tard decides to do it, everyone should feel lucky to be alive. Wow, i went to a concert and the band played a song they wrote! Holy shit, it's amazing, never seen anything like it. The band played a song of theirs live. Time to issue a commemorative stamp.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #42
Level 2 - Poster

And whats up with Maynard asking each and every crowd about time machines before playing "Intolerance"? Is it that big of a treat for a crowd to see a band play an old song (that they themselves wrote) during their set? I see bands do it everyday, but apparantly when 'Nard the tard decides to do it, everyone should feel lucky to be alive. Wow, i went to a concert and the band played a song they wrote! Holy shit, it's amazing, never seen anything like it. The band played a song of theirs live. Time to issue a commemorative stamp.
OFFLINE |  
JessicaSarahS
07-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
sweet. we were in section 102, 5th row. so we were practically neighbors. great view for sure!
Haha, nice! It was great. I wish I could go to the So. Cal shows. Too bad work gets in the way!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #43
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
sweet. we were in section 102, 5th row. so we were practically neighbors. great view for sure!
Haha, nice! It was great. I wish I could go to the So. Cal shows. Too bad work gets in the way!
OFFLINE |  
livid star's Avatar livid star
07-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsuperpower View Post
And whats up with Maynard asking each and every crowd about time machines before playing "Intolerance"? Is it that big of a treat for a crowd to see a band play an old song (that they themselves wrote) during their set?.
During a tour, I believe it's called continuity. It's just unfortunate/contradictive that nard is an inconsistent performer with Tool. It is extremely annoying and draining to deal with most Tool fans and I think that is what you see with Maynard. His relationship seems certainly love hate with Tool. But the money is too nice to wave good bye to.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #44
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
And whats up with Maynard asking each and every crowd about time machines before playing "Intolerance"? Is it that big of a treat for a crowd to see a band play an old song (that they themselves wrote) during their set?.
During a tour, I believe it's called continuity. It's just unfortunate/contradictive that nard is an inconsistent performer with Tool. It is extremely annoying and draining to deal with most Tool fans and I think that is what you see with Maynard. His relationship seems certainly love hate with Tool. But the money is too nice to wave good bye to.
07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
It's a shame the 'nard can't seem to put as much focus into keeping his voice in shape as he does stompin grapes. Whats with bringin that Arizona version of Boones farm on stage anyway? I thought he wanted to keep the two "entities seperate"? I've seen first hand how this egomaniac treats TOOL fans, and the like, like pure turds when they show up at his ridiculous supermarket wine signings and has the audacity to complain then turns around and brings that garbage on stage with him. Oh and the taking pictures with his camera phone in an attempt to mock the crowd was just plain stupid.
First of all, his vocals were great, especially when you factor in age and how long they've played live. Can't be a spring chicken your whole life! Second, he wasn't promoting his wine at the show. He was just drinking it. There was also a bottle of water on stage next to him. Does this mean he's trying to merge the Aquafina entity into Tool? Give me a break. Third, have you seen some of the fans? Some of them are downright idiotic and creepy. This doesn't account for the majority, of course. And assholes that have been 'treated badly' by Maynard, or any other remotely famous person, usually scream and complain louder and are heard over those that have had good experiences. But I will agree with you that the rest of the band are quite talented as well. That's obvious.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #45
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
It's a shame the 'nard can't seem to put as much focus into keeping his voice in shape as he does stompin grapes. Whats with bringin that Arizona version of Boones farm on stage anyway? I thought he wanted to keep the two "entities seperate"? I've seen first hand how this egomaniac treats TOOL fans, and the like, like pure turds when they show up at his ridiculous supermarket wine signings and has the audacity to complain then turns around and brings that garbage on stage with him. Oh and the taking pictures with his camera phone in an attempt to mock the crowd was just plain stupid.
First of all, his vocals were great, especially when you factor in age and how long they've played live. Can't be a spring chicken your whole life! Second, he wasn't promoting his wine at the show. He was just drinking it. There was also a bottle of water on stage next to him. Does this mean he's trying to merge the Aquafina entity into Tool? Give me a break. Third, have you seen some of the fans? Some of them are downright idiotic and creepy. This doesn't account for the majority, of course. And assholes that have been 'treated badly' by Maynard, or any other remotely famous person, usually scream and complain louder and are heard over those that have had good experiences. But I will agree with you that the rest of the band are quite talented as well. That's obvious.
OFFLINE |  
thelastsuperpower
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rooPP...eature=related

It's so predictable. Thanks for playing.

Never seen Nard take one drink of that crap. Besides whats age got to do with singing well (see: Halford, Dickinson, Dio before his untimely passing, even Buzz puts forth more effort, all of which are much older than Maynard)?

"Does this mean he's trying to merge the Aquafina entity into Tool?"-this is such an ignorant and invalid rebuttal. Is 'Nard responsible for creating Aquafina, brainiac? Learn to read

Last edited by thelastsuperpower; 07-15-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rooPP...eature=related

It's so predictable. Thanks for playing.

Never seen Nard take one drink of that crap. Besides whats age got to do with singing well (see: Halford, Dickinson, Dio before his untimely passing, even Buzz puts forth more effort, all of which are much older than Maynard)?

"Does this mean he's trying to merge the Aquafina entity into Tool?"-this is such an ignorant and invalid rebuttal. Is 'Nard responsible for creating Aquafina, brainiac? Learn to read

Last edited by thelastsuperpower; 07-15-2010 at 01:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sarahethan
07-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoremoans View Post
actually he didn't really start hiding in the shadows until the Lateralus tour. checkout any shows from the Aenima and Undertow tours and he's right out front....

not that it matters.
Correct, I saw them in 98 and he was roaming.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoremoans View Post
actually he didn't really start hiding in the shadows until the Lateralus tour. checkout any shows from the Aenima and Undertow tours and he's right out front....

not that it matters.
Correct, I saw them in 98 and he was roaming.
OFFLINE |  
thelastsuperpower
07-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Usually declaring intelligence over random strangers is indicative of not only insecurity, but said proclamations are usually false, such is the situation we have here. Not to mention your prior post tried to correlate bad shows with somehow not getting laid. Therefore it is with 100% assurance that i conclude intilligence is not one of your strong traits. But I do love how a lack of sex automatically comes to your meager mind when such circumstances arise. The self stated higher intelligence with no grounds for merit is quite endearing too. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
Level 2 - Poster

Usually declaring intelligence over random strangers is indicative of not only insecurity, but said proclamations are usually false, such is the situation we have here. Not to mention your prior post tried to correlate bad shows with somehow not getting laid. Therefore it is with 100% assurance that i conclude intilligence is not one of your strong traits. But I do love how a lack of sex automatically comes to your meager mind when such circumstances arise. The self stated higher intelligence with no grounds for merit is quite endearing too. Keep up the good work.
OFFLINE |  
JessicaSarahS
07-15-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Apparantly, there is no age requirement and they'll let any random 15 year old post here.
...coming from a guy that continues to throw money at and follow what they consider a "complacent and lazy" band. Just keep convincing yourself that you're not a mindless sheep yourself.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Apparantly, there is no age requirement and they'll let any random 15 year old post here.
...coming from a guy that continues to throw money at and follow what they consider a "complacent and lazy" band. Just keep convincing yourself that you're not a mindless sheep yourself.
OFFLINE |  
Dickedoo
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

This was the greatest concert I've ever been to. The concert was more of a religious experience on how great it was. Truly one of the best nights of my life. My girlfriend came with me to the concert. Which she isn't even a fan of Tool. Until we went to the concert. Now she has said that the concert was the best she's ever been to.

If I had to pick a downside to the concert. I would say the stupid security guards coming around with their lights and messing with people who weren't even bothering anyone else. Besides that, the night was fantastic. I don't think I can ever go to another concert without comparing it to this show.

Thank you Tool for giving me one of the greatest nights in my life.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the greatest concert I've ever been to. The concert was more of a religious experience on how great it was. Truly one of the best nights of my life. My girlfriend came with me to the concert. Which she isn't even a fan of Tool. Until we went to the concert. Now she has said that the concert was the best she's ever been to.

If I had to pick a downside to the concert. I would say the stupid security guards coming around with their lights and messing with people who weren't even bothering anyone else. Besides that, the night was fantastic. I don't think I can ever go to another concert without comparing it to this show.

Thank you Tool for giving me one of the greatest nights in my life.
OFFLINE |  
Bob E. Bratwurst
07-15-2010, 03:59 PM

After 13 years I finally decided to register for this. The Sac show was amazing. Tool has been my favorite band since the Aenima days. But I've only seen them 3 times. The visuals at the Sac show were the best I've seen yet. Those screens they were using were so cool and weird. It was my first time seeing Third Eye and Intolerance and I got kinda weepy. I loved Maynard saying "It's all gonna be alright" before going into Aenema. Danny and Adam were amazing, as always. And Justin's energy is infectious. The acknowledgement of the crowed at the end was nice. I agree with the people saying that the viewing of the setlist beforehand kinda ruins the surprise, though. It's still amazing but not as amazing as it would've been without the prior knowledge of a possibility of Third Eye and Intolerance. Never doing that again. Anyway, it was an amazing show nonetheless. Thanks to JessicaSarahS for the pics. I've been searching Google for the past 2 hours looking for pictures of the show. Overall, the fans were respectful of the people around them. At least in my section. One thing that kinda ruined the vibe was after the show and I was standing outside having a cigarette and this guy walks up and asks for a light. I handed him my lighter and I asked him who the other drummer was during Lateralus. I had not heard of Jello Biafra's new band so I was curious as to who the drummer was. The guy told me it was Dana Carvey from SNL and then he said something to the girl he was with as he pointed at me and they started laughing. I'd like to think that Tool fans, for the most part, are intelligent, thoughtful people. A lot of people I've talked to seem to be. But I guess that's just not the case for some. There's no need for that sort of asshole behavior at a Tool show. It's supposed to be a positive experience. We all have a common interest and that interest is Tool. Whatever. But besides that, it was totally worth the 7 hour car ride through the central valley from Los Angeles. Can't wait to see them again on the next tour. I have fallen in love with them all over again.

Last edited by Bob E. Bratwurst; 07-15-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

After 13 years I finally decided to register for this. The Sac show was amazing. Tool has been my favorite band since the Aenima days. But I've only seen them 3 times. The visuals at the Sac show were the best I've seen yet. Those screens they were using were so cool and weird. It was my first time seeing Third Eye and Intolerance and I got kinda weepy. I loved Maynard saying "It's all gonna be alright" before going into Aenema. Danny and Adam were amazing, as always. And Justin's energy is infectious. The acknowledgement of the crowed at the end was nice. I agree with the people saying that the viewing of the setlist beforehand kinda ruins the surprise, though. It's still amazing but not as amazing as it would've been without the prior knowledge of a possibility of Third Eye and Intolerance. Never doing that again. Anyway, it was an amazing show nonetheless. Thanks to JessicaSarahS for the pics. I've been searching Google for the past 2 hours looking for pictures of the show. Overall, the fans were respectful of the people around them. At least in my section. One thing that kinda ruined the vibe was after the show and I was standing outside having a cigarette and this guy walks up and asks for a light. I handed him my lighter and I asked him who the other drummer was during Lateralus. I had not heard of Jello Biafra's new band so I was curious as to who the drummer was. The guy told me it was Dana Carvey from SNL and then he said something to the girl he was with as he pointed at me and they started laughing. I'd like to think that Tool fans, for the most part, are intelligent, thoughtful people. A lot of people I've talked to seem to be. But I guess that's just not the case for some. There's no need for that sort of asshole behavior at a Tool show. It's supposed to be a positive experience. We all have a common interest and that interest is Tool. Whatever. But besides that, it was totally worth the 7 hour car ride through the central valley from Los Angeles. Can't wait to see them again on the next tour. I have fallen in love with them all over again.

Last edited by Bob E. Bratwurst; 07-15-2010 at 04:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Rokky
07-15-2010, 04:24 PM

loved the show! They never dissappoint.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

loved the show! They never dissappoint.
OFFLINE |  
07-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Talk about mindless sheep:

I walked up to the arena at 8:20p and there were an assload of people STILL waiting to get in. The line extended into the fucking parking lot. Turns out all of you were lining up for one single security check point - verus if you would have opened your eyes ,you would have seen that there were 5 other checkers with ZERO people in line, just waiting to get you in!
The event staff should have helped the morons a little more on that.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #53

Talk about mindless sheep:

I walked up to the arena at 8:20p and there were an assload of people STILL waiting to get in. The line extended into the fucking parking lot. Turns out all of you were lining up for one single security check point - verus if you would have opened your eyes ,you would have seen that there were 5 other checkers with ZERO people in line, just waiting to get you in!
The event staff should have helped the morons a little more on that.
07-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Can you kids stop bickering? That only shows how lame you guys are. No offense to anyone, of course.

I sat in one of the upper-level seats, but it was still amazing. I didn't care much for the opening band, but they were 'alright', I guess. I noticed some mess-ups here and there, too. Danny kicked ass like he always does. The light show was interesting as well. It was my first Tool concert, so I guess I don't have much to compare to. I think Maynard did fine with his vocals - the only fuck up I noticed on his part was something entirely out of his control. I'm lookin' forward to some new stuff in the future.

Also, did anyone else notice the guy standing outsite of one of the exits on some kind of container, holding up a sign that said "Tool let us down"?

Last edited by Simple Toon; 07-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Changed a "too" to "to". Heh.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

Can you kids stop bickering? That only shows how lame you guys are. No offense to anyone, of course.

I sat in one of the upper-level seats, but it was still amazing. I didn't care much for the opening band, but they were 'alright', I guess. I noticed some mess-ups here and there, too. Danny kicked ass like he always does. The light show was interesting as well. It was my first Tool concert, so I guess I don't have much to compare to. I think Maynard did fine with his vocals - the only fuck up I noticed on his part was something entirely out of his control. I'm lookin' forward to some new stuff in the future.

Also, did anyone else notice the guy standing outsite of one of the exits on some kind of container, holding up a sign that said "Tool let us down"?

Last edited by Simple Toon; 07-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Changed a "too" to "to". Heh.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
07-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Toon View Post
yes! what was up with that?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #55
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
yes! what was up with that?
07-15-2010, 05:09 PM

a friend of mine saw it and told me about it. it reminded me of the religious protesters at some of the nin shows i've been to. strange.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

a friend of mine saw it and told me about it. it reminded me of the religious protesters at some of the nin shows i've been to. strange.
07-15-2010, 05:11 PM

The guy holding up the sign looked like he was either very scared, or having a damned good rush. His eyes were pretty wide. Either way, he didn't look very bright.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

The guy holding up the sign looked like he was either very scared, or having a damned good rush. His eyes were pretty wide. Either way, he didn't look very bright.
OFFLINE |  
Bob E. Bratwurst
07-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I have no idea. I heard something about oil, though?
Yeah he was saying "Tool rocks but not here". He was saying something about Arco, BP and that Tool doesn't support green energy. He kept fumbling his words and stuttering. I thought "Wow, this guy was born to protest". I'm sure there are more important things to be protesting than Tool playing at an arena that was paid for by Arco. WTF?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I have no idea. I heard something about oil, though?
Yeah he was saying "Tool rocks but not here". He was saying something about Arco, BP and that Tool doesn't support green energy. He kept fumbling his words and stuttering. I thought "Wow, this guy was born to protest". I'm sure there are more important things to be protesting than Tool playing at an arena that was paid for by Arco. WTF?
OFFLINE |  
dpad13
07-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E. Bratwurst View Post
Maybe that's why they pulled the Arco posters!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #59
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
Bob E. Bratwurst
07-15-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpad13 View Post
My cousin told me that he bought a tour poster from one of the "professionals" who work at the arena who was hawking the posters outside for $30. He thought it was legit so he went ahead and bought one without realizing that that guy wasn't supposed to have them. So I'm thinking that's why the merch booth pulled the remaining posters.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
My cousin told me that he bought a tour poster from one of the "professionals" who work at the arena who was hawking the posters outside for $30. He thought it was legit so he went ahead and bought one without realizing that that guy wasn't supposed to have them. So I'm thinking that's why the merch booth pulled the remaining posters.
OFFLINE |  
Agenda's Avatar Agenda
07-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
This has been explained on more than one occasion, often by band members. Maynard no longer has the ability sing many TOOL songs. He just doesn't. If you listen to any of the modern bootlegs, he now struggles with every bit of the material. It's what happens when you have spent night after night screaming and giving your all. By the way Maynard hangs out in the dark, because he has over sensitive pupils, in addition to a couple of other things. If you watch any video of a perfect circle playing on a TV show he keeps his eyes closed due to the light. Anyways TOOL have reworked nearly all of the road material by adding and changing the standard live songs. The stage has seen a couple changes and additions over the last couple years as well.

On to the show.... This was my 16th TOOL show. I'd give it a 4/5. The bass was overdriven for most of the show so we lost some of the intricacies (mainly danny's stuff) although that was really the only audio issue for the show. Maynard was much further out front than past shows I've seen on the post Lateralus tours. Although this means you can hear the effects on his voice very clearly. The crowd was shit. At least in my section, Did you know yelling during the songs "woooo maynard fuck yeah" is stupid? Because I know it's stupid. So please stop doing it. As always the lights were very pretty. Thanks to Junior and company. The show was too short, but who wouldn't say that? One more thing Jello and company..... Your band is awful.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
This has been explained on more than one occasion, often by band members. Maynard no longer has the ability sing many TOOL songs. He just doesn't. If you listen to any of the modern bootlegs, he now struggles with every bit of the material. It's what happens when you have spent night after night screaming and giving your all. By the way Maynard hangs out in the dark, because he has over sensitive pupils, in addition to a couple of other things. If you watch any video of a perfect circle playing on a TV show he keeps his eyes closed due to the light. Anyways TOOL have reworked nearly all of the road material by adding and changing the standard live songs. The stage has seen a couple changes and additions over the last couple years as well.

On to the show.... This was my 16th TOOL show. I'd give it a 4/5. The bass was overdriven for most of the show so we lost some of the intricacies (mainly danny's stuff) although that was really the only audio issue for the show. Maynard was much further out front than past shows I've seen on the post Lateralus tours. Although this means you can hear the effects on his voice very clearly. The crowd was shit. At least in my section, Did you know yelling during the songs "woooo maynard fuck yeah" is stupid? Because I know it's stupid. So please stop doing it. As always the lights were very pretty. Thanks to Junior and company. The show was too short, but who wouldn't say that? One more thing Jello and company..... Your band is awful.
07-16-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Can your cousin take a picture of this rumored poster so we can see it???
Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
jdowney
07-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you, like most TOOL fans are good at making excuses for these guys (nard in particular). Don't bother, I've heard all the excuses imaginable. In fact, i've heard everything but the truth. I especially love how fans try to justify the same stage/set by saying its actually different with just a few very minor alterations. It's like watching your favorite baseball player have a 4 year slump and when he does get a hit, you justify his greatness to everyone.
Clearly you more than love it, because here you are reading each and every post about it.

Is this some modern for of flagellation?

You say that TOOL is complacent and lazy, but also say you will support the 3 actual musicians, so which is it, you realize that 3/4 is actually a majority of the band TOOL? so the majority of the band is worth supporting, but the band is still complacent and lazy? Its like the "Nard dog himself came up with this statement. see what I did there, I saved some time and energy calling him 'Nard instead of Maynard, its clever and I have never seen anyone else do it, it makes me special.

The show was great for me, and I felt it was slightly better than the SF show.

Quote:
Have your cousin post a picture, I am curious to see the art Adam drew for it, also curious to see if it is mis-aligned, that was the reason given by one of the people working the merchandise both, they didn't like the alignment of the print.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #63
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Sounds like you, like most TOOL fans are good at making excuses for these guys (nard in particular). Don't bother, I've heard all the excuses imaginable. In fact, i've heard everything but the truth. I especially love how fans try to justify the same stage/set by saying its actually different with just a few very minor alterations. It's like watching your favorite baseball player have a 4 year slump and when he does get a hit, you justify his greatness to everyone.
Clearly you more than love it, because here you are reading each and every post about it.

Is this some modern for of flagellation?

You say that TOOL is complacent and lazy, but also say you will support the 3 actual musicians, so which is it, you realize that 3/4 is actually a majority of the band TOOL? so the majority of the band is worth supporting, but the band is still complacent and lazy? Its like the "Nard dog himself came up with this statement. see what I did there, I saved some time and energy calling him 'Nard instead of Maynard, its clever and I have never seen anyone else do it, it makes me special.

The show was great for me, and I felt it was slightly better than the SF show.

Quote:
Have your cousin post a picture, I am curious to see the art Adam drew for it, also curious to see if it is mis-aligned, that was the reason given by one of the people working the merchandise both, they didn't like the alignment of the print.
OFFLINE |  
Simple Toon
07-16-2010, 10:02 AM

Hey, uhm... thelastsuperpower. Why did you take the time to find this site if you dislike Tool so much? I mean, the domain itself is kind of specific... It's not like you stumbled upon this site without searching "Tool" through one engine or another. We get it, dude. You don't like Tool. But instead of making your point in a "cool" way you just sound like an incessantly whiny little kid. If you want to call us "Mindless sheep" for enjoying Tool, then that's good for you. But if you want to OBVIOUSLY go out and go as far as to join a Tool forum -on the Internet- just to bitch and moan because Tool isn't living up to your expectations (I doubt Maynard really cares, anyway), then we can just say "Hey, I don't think that thelastsuperpower kid can fathom the reason Maynard does what he does." and be on our jolly way.

Then again, none of us can really do that, right? He's a pretty mysterious guy.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey, uhm... thelastsuperpower. Why did you take the time to find this site if you dislike Tool so much? I mean, the domain itself is kind of specific... It's not like you stumbled upon this site without searching "Tool" through one engine or another. We get it, dude. You don't like Tool. But instead of making your point in a "cool" way you just sound like an incessantly whiny little kid. If you want to call us "Mindless sheep" for enjoying Tool, then that's good for you. But if you want to OBVIOUSLY go out and go as far as to join a Tool forum -on the Internet- just to bitch and moan because Tool isn't living up to your expectations (I doubt Maynard really cares, anyway), then we can just say "Hey, I don't think that thelastsuperpower kid can fathom the reason Maynard does what he does." and be on our jolly way.

Then again, none of us can really do that, right? He's a pretty mysterious guy.
OFFLINE |  
TOD
07-16-2010, 10:10 AM

The best Tool show I have seen out of the 5 others I went to on the 10,000 days tour. I wear audiophile earplugs at shows, so some of the crisper freaquencies are filtered out, but I suffer from a lot ailments with my ears for a guy in his early 20's who is a musician. I have 100 percent hearing in both ears as of last year. The reason I mention this is becuase my brother says that maynard was too quiet some of the time and I can't remember that ever being the case. His voice soared durring The Patient, Intolerance, Third Eye, Stinkfist, and all the others too. I am so glad to finally hear Jambi the way it is supposed to be played live, awesomely. The bass was so fuzzy, the guitar so crisp, and finally the vocals were spot on too! We need never mention the drums because Danny is always rocking it. The whole band played with passion and sounded great. The Opener was hilarious and I hope to see Jello again in a small club. The Guantonamo School of Medicine...Jello takes the stage wearing a blood splattered lab coat and underneath an upsidedown American Flag Shirt. He say's,"this is the first time any of the musicains on stage have ever played at an arena named after a corporation. They don't name them after heros, insiring musicans, or great atheletes anymore, but corporations...how does it feel to be slaves to your Feudal Lords?" I really enjoyed Jello's antics.

I have been exited to see Third Eye since the first show they played that it might have effected my enjoyment of the actually performance, but I thought that it was a weak version of Third Eye, but it's funny that they Opened with it. Great show. Can't wait for the new material and more additions to this Stage Show. The intros really flow into the songs fluidly and the thing they played before Lateralus went through my body and rattled the whole arena. The red lighted eyes on the Alex Grey Tapestry are relly funny too.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #65
TOD
Banned.

Bincount™: 310

The best Tool show I have seen out of the 5 others I went to on the 10,000 days tour. I wear audiophile earplugs at shows, so some of the crisper freaquencies are filtered out, but I suffer from a lot ailments with my ears for a guy in his early 20's who is a musician. I have 100 percent hearing in both ears as of last year. The reason I mention this is becuase my brother says that maynard was too quiet some of the time and I can't remember that ever being the case. His voice soared durring The Patient, Intolerance, Third Eye, Stinkfist, and all the others too. I am so glad to finally hear Jambi the way it is supposed to be played live, awesomely. The bass was so fuzzy, the guitar so crisp, and finally the vocals were spot on too! We need never mention the drums because Danny is always rocking it. The whole band played with passion and sounded great. The Opener was hilarious and I hope to see Jello again in a small club. The Guantonamo School of Medicine...Jello takes the stage wearing a blood splattered lab coat and underneath an upsidedown American Flag Shirt. He say's,"this is the first time any of the musicains on stage have ever played at an arena named after a corporation. They don't name them after heros, insiring musicans, or great atheletes anymore, but corporations...how does it feel to be slaves to your Feudal Lords?" I really enjoyed Jello's antics.

I have been exited to see Third Eye since the first show they played that it might have effected my enjoyment of the actually performance, but I thought that it was a weak version of Third Eye, but it's funny that they Opened with it. Great show. Can't wait for the new material and more additions to this Stage Show. The intros really flow into the songs fluidly and the thing they played before Lateralus went through my body and rattled the whole arena. The red lighted eyes on the Alex Grey Tapestry are relly funny too.
OFFLINE |  
thelastsuperpower
07-16-2010, 11:39 AM

I don't know or not if you actually read my post. I see you did go through the trouble of quoting it in your rebuttal. I'll go ahead and repeat it though to save you the trouble of actually have to read it. I said most of the shows i've attended we're "(mostly pre-2001)," I just can't see how someone can see the same show over and over again and be happy with it. I've been to only a handful of 10,000 Days shows. They were all the same with the exception of a couple of minor alterations (i.e.-different lights, a couple of songs being substitutes for other songs similar in length, "maynardisms." I apologize for being a buzzkill, but I will rebutt if attacked for merely stating my opinion. Just a bit frustrated. Those shows from the Aenima tours were undeniably magical. Almost filled you with a sense of intimidation at what you were about to get into. Different shows, different sets, different sensations, Mayanard even said different shit in between songs from night to night. These shows, on the other hand, are not magical and you can even pick it up from the members at times throughout shows on this tour. They seem almost bored at times, especially Maynard. Same show every night for years. I may be wrong for not realizing it still a good show just not the same. My bad people.

My point is I haven't been to many 10,000 Days shows because of it. 1 or 2 everytime they come around in hopes of getting something different, but to no avail. What you guys are not realizing is i still respect the band just not pleased with the same show every night. Why would they not care?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #66
Level 2 - Poster

I don't know or not if you actually read my post. I see you did go through the trouble of quoting it in your rebuttal. I'll go ahead and repeat it though to save you the trouble of actually have to read it. I said most of the shows i've attended we're "(mostly pre-2001)," I just can't see how someone can see the same show over and over again and be happy with it. I've been to only a handful of 10,000 Days shows. They were all the same with the exception of a couple of minor alterations (i.e.-different lights, a couple of songs being substitutes for other songs similar in length, "maynardisms." I apologize for being a buzzkill, but I will rebutt if attacked for merely stating my opinion. Just a bit frustrated. Those shows from the Aenima tours were undeniably magical. Almost filled you with a sense of intimidation at what you were about to get into. Different shows, different sets, different sensations, Mayanard even said different shit in between songs from night to night. These shows, on the other hand, are not magical and you can even pick it up from the members at times throughout shows on this tour. They seem almost bored at times, especially Maynard. Same show every night for years. I may be wrong for not realizing it still a good show just not the same. My bad people.

My point is I haven't been to many 10,000 Days shows because of it. 1 or 2 everytime they come around in hopes of getting something different, but to no avail. What you guys are not realizing is i still respect the band just not pleased with the same show every night. Why would they not care?
OFFLINE |  
07-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Oh yeah, you guys remember after the intermission--
When Maynard came out on stage, he promptly sat at the drum kit that had just been set up for the dual. He sat there for several seconds, long enough for me to voice aloud: "whhaaaat, maynard on drums?" For a second there I seriously thought this was gonna be some funny shit!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #67

When Maynard came out on stage, he promptly sat at the drum kit that had just been set up for the dual. He sat there for several seconds, long enough for me to voice aloud: "whhaaaat, maynard on drums?" For a second there I seriously thought this was gonna be some funny shit!
OFFLINE |  
Matthew77's Avatar Matthew77
07-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Hey man I did not want to make you feel attacked. I was pointing out that you were coming off very negative. I totally remember the days of Maynard being front and center dressed as woman screaming "shut up and buy my new record" those days were great! However that was like 13 years ago. To be still like that would mean no growth. I feel priveleged to have grown with my favorite band.

As for getting the same set list in every city. I don't think its that they don't care but they are exposing there art to new people all of the time. I know for a fact that there were tons of people at the Seattle show that never seen tool live before. Tool has such a loyal following that I believe they are catering to the new fans.

So again if I made you fell attacked then I apologize that was not my intention.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #68
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:

Hey man I did not want to make you feel attacked. I was pointing out that you were coming off very negative. I totally remember the days of Maynard being front and center dressed as woman screaming "shut up and buy my new record" those days were great! However that was like 13 years ago. To be still like that would mean no growth. I feel priveleged to have grown with my favorite band.

As for getting the same set list in every city. I don't think its that they don't care but they are exposing there art to new people all of the time. I know for a fact that there were tons of people at the Seattle show that never seen tool live before. Tool has such a loyal following that I believe they are catering to the new fans.

So again if I made you fell attacked then I apologize that was not my intention.
07-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post
That was some funny shit!!! I knew he would get up but was hoping he'd at least give us a bass drum kick!!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post
That was some funny shit!!! I knew he would get up but was hoping he'd at least give us a bass drum kick!!
OFFLINE |  
jdowney
07-16-2010, 04:48 PM

Does anyone know why they were not letting cars in until around 6pm? I drove up around 5pm and saw a line of cars waiting to get in. Thanks

To Thelastsuperpower:

i'm sorry irony is a concept you are not familiar with. I know it was hard to see it, with all the "quote, of a quote, from a quote" stuff.

you still have not made any mention of your hypocritical criticism about tool being lazy and complacent, twice now you've ignored it.

thank you for telling me what matters, it helps me figure out how to navigate this crazy world of being forced to go to shows we hate and then being forced to comment on how much we hate it on message boards.

You still can't articulate why it was a bad show, and why we are sheep for liking it. You have however stated your opinion on why the shows are not as good as you feel they could be based on previous viewing of the same band.

In attempt to have fun and engage in a respectful discussion, I have clearly disrupted your focus.

I disagree with your assessment of the show and of the state of consiouness of the fans (which I feel loosely associate with), you have continued to just make snide remarks about I.Q. levels and ignore actually explain why the shows are so bad.

Making bad jokes about the lighting (Trent Reznor garage sale) is a pretty weak argument. Seeing as how the majority of reviews feel the lighting is impressive. I have not been to that many shows that utilize lasers, but I do enjoy the visual concept of the current TOOL shows, they add an element to the show that, to me, works with with the music being performed. I flat out think you are wrong in saying the visual aspect of the show is cheesy.

Then you says if "El Nardo" doesn't want to do it, then don't. Practice what your preach, if you don't want to subject yourself to Tool's greed, then don't. When did "Vocals" include dancing around to your liking? "Vocals" to me is just that, the sounds produced by the vocal cords, As long as the vocals are not coming from the cd, I couldn't care less how Maynard does it, but thanks for looking out for the mindless sheeple's money.

So is he an egomaniac or shy recluse who hides in the back? I barley have any idea what the man looks like aside from some pics from the early 90's, I don't care what these guys do outside of the music they produce, so I missed the stage in my life where I cut out pictures from magazines and put them on my wall and obsess over every little word they say, but he has never treated me in any way. I paid to see a show, I felt I got my money's worth.

I could be wrong on this, but I think he is mocking how dependent people are on phones, not mocking how he can take pictures or video from his phone and us, sheep can not. You may have a point if he is mocking us in that way. I just interpreted it differently. And after seeing how many people at all shows, not just TOOL are so busy with their phones that, I personally wouldn't enjoy my time if I did the same, I tend to agree with him. Put the phone down and enjoy the show.

I feel I have already covered your last point about the 3 real musicians, but I won't repeat it because you seem to ignore that part as well.

Wash out your pussy and chalk this one up to experience, they can't all be winners, maybe its time to move on to some other "groundbreaking and innovative" band that deserves your hard earned money.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #70
Level 3 - Talker

Does anyone know why they were not letting cars in until around 6pm? I drove up around 5pm and saw a line of cars waiting to get in. Thanks

To Thelastsuperpower:

i'm sorry irony is a concept you are not familiar with. I know it was hard to see it, with all the "quote, of a quote, from a quote" stuff.

you still have not made any mention of your hypocritical criticism about tool being lazy and complacent, twice now you've ignored it.

thank you for telling me what matters, it helps me figure out how to navigate this crazy world of being forced to go to shows we hate and then being forced to comment on how much we hate it on message boards.

You still can't articulate why it was a bad show, and why we are sheep for liking it. You have however stated your opinion on why the shows are not as good as you feel they could be based on previous viewing of the same band.

In attempt to have fun and engage in a respectful discussion, I have clearly disrupted your focus.

I disagree with your assessment of the show and of the state of consiouness of the fans (which I feel loosely associate with), you have continued to just make snide remarks about I.Q. levels and ignore actually explain why the shows are so bad.

Making bad jokes about the lighting (Trent Reznor garage sale) is a pretty weak argument. Seeing as how the majority of reviews feel the lighting is impressive. I have not been to that many shows that utilize lasers, but I do enjoy the visual concept of the current TOOL shows, they add an element to the show that, to me, works with with the music being performed. I flat out think you are wrong in saying the visual aspect of the show is cheesy.

Then you says if "El Nardo" doesn't want to do it, then don't. Practice what your preach, if you don't want to subject yourself to Tool's greed, then don't. When did "Vocals" include dancing around to your liking? "Vocals" to me is just that, the sounds produced by the vocal cords, As long as the vocals are not coming from the cd, I couldn't care less how Maynard does it, but thanks for looking out for the mindless sheeple's money.

So is he an egomaniac or shy recluse who hides in the back? I barley have any idea what the man looks like aside from some pics from the early 90's, I don't care what these guys do outside of the music they produce, so I missed the stage in my life where I cut out pictures from magazines and put them on my wall and obsess over every little word they say, but he has never treated me in any way. I paid to see a show, I felt I got my money's worth.

I could be wrong on this, but I think he is mocking how dependent people are on phones, not mocking how he can take pictures or video from his phone and us, sheep can not. You may have a point if he is mocking us in that way. I just interpreted it differently. And after seeing how many people at all shows, not just TOOL are so busy with their phones that, I personally wouldn't enjoy my time if I did the same, I tend to agree with him. Put the phone down and enjoy the show.

I feel I have already covered your last point about the 3 real musicians, but I won't repeat it because you seem to ignore that part as well.

Wash out your pussy and chalk this one up to experience, they can't all be winners, maybe its time to move on to some other "groundbreaking and innovative" band that deserves your hard earned money.
OFFLINE |  
Bob E. Bratwurst
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
Oh, so that's why they pulled them. I didn't know that. I didn't get a chance to look at them as I was in such a hurry to find my seat. I just figured it was because some guy got a hold of them and was selling them outside for his own profit. My cousin is gonna take a picture of his this weekend and email it to me. So as soon as he does that, I'll be sure to post it on here. Lates.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #71
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
Oh, so that's why they pulled them. I didn't know that. I didn't get a chance to look at them as I was in such a hurry to find my seat. I just figured it was because some guy got a hold of them and was selling them outside for his own profit. My cousin is gonna take a picture of his this weekend and email it to me. So as soon as he does that, I'll be sure to post it on here. Lates.
OFFLINE |  
Bob E. Bratwurst
07-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Will do as soon as he emails a picture to me. Should be sometime this weekend.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #72
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Will do as soon as he emails a picture to me. Should be sometime this weekend.
OFFLINE |  
Tychism's Avatar Tychism
07-17-2010, 01:32 PM

The live Tool show is definitely something fun to check out every handful of years, and this round was no exception, most notably in the lighting department which came a long way since I last saw them last in 2007.

Having a good time aside, it's apparent to me that the list of 'regular' songs is getting tired. While I appreciate the opportunity to get out and see the boys play from time to time, I would appreciate greater variety more, which in turn would lead me to purchase more tickets and attend more shows.

The end of the show was proof enough for me as to the fidelity of the band. The musicians seemed grateful to have such a following, whereas Maynard came across indifferent to the fact that a packed house offered over 3 minutes of standing ovation.

Last edited by Tychism; 07-17-2010 at 01:39 PM..
Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #73
Level 3 - Talker

The live Tool show is definitely something fun to check out every handful of years, and this round was no exception, most notably in the lighting department which came a long way since I last saw them last in 2007.

Having a good time aside, it's apparent to me that the list of 'regular' songs is getting tired. While I appreciate the opportunity to get out and see the boys play from time to time, I would appreciate greater variety more, which in turn would lead me to purchase more tickets and attend more shows.

The end of the show was proof enough for me as to the fidelity of the band. The musicians seemed grateful to have such a following, whereas Maynard came across indifferent to the fact that a packed house offered over 3 minutes of standing ovation.

Last edited by Tychism; 07-17-2010 at 01:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
kabir's Avatar kabir
07-17-2010, 09:21 PM

hi everyone.

so, i've deleted the flame war that was here. you guys are welcome to continue it via private message, but please don't keep it up here.

thanks.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #74
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116

hi everyone.

so, i've deleted the flame war that was here. you guys are welcome to continue it via private message, but please don't keep it up here.

thanks.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
contraption
07-19-2010, 12:08 AM

Does anyone have any photographs of the posters that were pulled?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Does anyone have any photographs of the posters that were pulled?
OFFLINE |  
contraption
07-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Old 07-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #76
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply