opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #81
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

Shapeshifter.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #82
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Hi all

Here is a few shots I took from the Myer Music Bowl. The security regarding cameras was the tightest I have ever seen at any concert. But still managed to get a few good ones.
Feel free to email, should you want a copy.
http://stashbox.org/11430/Picture 068.jpg
http://stashbox.org/11431/Picture 069.jpg
http://stashbox.org/11432/Picture 043.jpg
http://stashbox.org/11433/Picture 047.jpg
http://stashbox.org/11434/Picture 048.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 AM   #83
Level 1 - Lurker

unfortunately i've gotta say the show for me was very average...I'm only 5/6 and could see buger all on the hill for starters. the band or should i say maynard definately didn't live up to the mind-blowing heights of the lateralus tour... I actually thought the rest of the band were practically perfect. to me it was painfully obvious his heart wasn't in this performance...he didn't seem to even attempt to nail any of the screams/vocal crescendos that sheerly amazed me on the lateralus tour.i thought 10,000 days and Ænema were the only two songs where maynards voice seemed to almost live up to his normal brilliance... i don't know maybe his mic wasn't turned loud enough or they were not using voice enhancing effects or something. Additionally the set list for mine was far too similar to that of the big day out. in the end i think they ended up dumping the bdo's swamp song, the pot and sober in exchange for rosetta stoned and 10,000 Days....bloody disappointing. i thought a treat like eulogy, prison sex, the grudge, opiate, third eye, or no quater might of been on the cards...maybe the band thought there was a high proportion of wankers in the melbourne crowd...i sure did...unfriendly, nuckleheaded and at time aggressive wankers

don't get me wrong they were good but were nowhere near as good as I have come to expect...i guess thats the price you pay for raising the benchmark so high in the first place!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 AM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

the sound was UNFORGIVABLE

nice mix, could hear everything ok. was WAYYYYYYY to quiet.

i was waiting for stinkfist, hearing adams feedback waiting to throw my head into that first kick drum and feel it pounding my chest. sounded like i was listening to it though a cd. My mates could talk to me at normal volume, couldn't really sing along as people could not hear maynard when i did, had a phone call halfway through (the person could hear me clearly) all from 10 metres behind the barrier. <--- WTF!!!. tool as usual were insane. awesome show, will love them forever but the volume was a MAJOR letdown. seen them twice before this at indoor arenas and they were miles better due to the sound. crowd was PLacid as but the sound did seem to pump up a little for the last 3 songs ( which were the best) and the crowd kicked in as well. would have been an awesome gig had it have been louder. Sidney music bowl - next time please dont use the same PA you did for carols by candlelight. apparently gold tickets were mad as tho, it was loud as all hell.

I have been to countless shows indoor and out, quietest one ever. cant feel the vibe if you cant hear the god damn music. will not see tool there ever again unless i get gold and i doubt i will see any band there. I just hope when they come back in december they play at rod laver and smash up the volume.

Maybe that way you wont have to climb onto the top of the roof to hear the band.

Light show was unreal tho, and for all those idiots laying to maynard about his singing, i am a singer and know all too well that you cant be on your game night in night out, especially after 15 years of touring like he has. he was far from his best but still blew me away. if his voice is going its only because he sings harder then almost anyone on the planet. althought maybe he was just sick or something. so choke on one. how about you scream your lungs out 200 nights a year for 15 years, Ill sit on my ass watching tv and wristing off for the same amount of time and then pay you out because you were not up to my standards.

for anyone who says the volume was loud enough ( excluding gold ticket holders) you havent seen many bands live.

peace out
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #85
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

anyone figure out maynards mohawk isn't real?
think it's weird?
me either
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #86
Level 1 - Lurker

Now that i have commented on the adelaide BDO tool show, melbourne was a whole different kettle of fish. Great crowd vibe, good atmosphere and the tool performance was amazing. Except for the fucking attention seeking whore who climbed up onto the roof of the sidney myer music bowl ( yes fuckhead, you know who you are. If you had fell, and the show was stopped, i had made the decision in seconds of you getting up there that i was going to kick the shit out of your splattered corpse and then take your wallet. The people chanting "jump" was good for a chuckle though ) This performance was well worth the trip to melbourne, and the crowd was a lot more into it than just the drunken BDO fuckheads. A tool show is exactly that... Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #87
Level 4 - Thinker

GOD! what a show defently the best perfermance by Tool and any one for that matter. Rosetta Stoned was defently the high point of the night and the new end to schsim took me some where new thanks guys. To the camera police that bounced our friend out thank you we really needed that resupply of water. ;-)

And yes i Sung............................
Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #88
Level 3 - Talker

i sung too

and i didnt mosh

shoot me...

i sing because i enjoy the music, and i dont mosh cause its not that type of music. if i wanted to mosh, i'd go to something like prom queen, or trivium, and i do (when i get the money/chance). i'd love to see people try to mosh to schism, or rosetta stoned, or any song with weird timing. i go to tool because its good music, not to jump around.

btw...does anyone have any pics of the guy on the roof?? i'd love to see some
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #89
Level 2 - Poster

While GA had the moron on the roof to deal with, some of us had to contend with a drunken loser who spent most of the show hurling abuse at the band and Maynard.
Why do these people have to go to shows and ruin the night for everyone else?
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #90
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

So then, my 6th Tool show of the 10,000 Days tours...

I gotta say the venue was pretty damn fantastic, and standin back on the lawn (though 2nd row in the middle was pretty decent indeed) was not as crap as I thought it might initially...really got to appreciate the lasers and all. The shows I saw in Europe last year all had me placed on the floor, and I never got to see them from afar...so yeah. the sound was GREAT...the bass was not overpowering as I had experienced in my last 2 shows in München and Stuttgart, where I could feel it rattle around in my rib cage!

As for the guys themselves, I think maynard sounded much better than he did compared to the last 2 shows I went to...(and thankfully KILLED Lateralus and Vicarious on the night)...Wings/10,000 Days was another highlight...though marred with the idiot who climbed the roof and distracted half the lawn area crowd! I mean it was quite entertaining, but why the fuck did he have to go and ruin the most emotional song of the night...douchebag! Ah well...it was great anyway...the only minor 'complaint': they played 1 less song than they usually do...like somethin from Undertow or Opiate is usually played, or the Pot...so yeah...

can't wait till they return next summer! And hopefully it'll be back at Rod Laver Arena or some other Ticketek operated venue so we can avoid Ticketmaster's debacle again!

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #91
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 247

First tool concert. I know I've been a fan well long enough to see most other concerts, but money is no longer an issue :) I would kill to have seen Pushit or 3rd Eye live however. Hopefully next time... do you really think they will come back Nov/Dec? I heard they were not impressed by the BDO crowd. Lucky i wasnt there.

Was I the only person who bought a $40 Tool cap?

"Live and Learn, provided you Live"
- Me, February 2004
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #92
Level 2 - Poster

it's all been said, it was a great set, one song short of the sydney ent. gig without swamp song, but a little better than the two bdo's because of wings/rosetta. only just though, because i was more comfortable for the two sideshows, the big day outs were rad becuase i could sufficiently 'rock' out while not being pushed around (towards the back of the D both times)

i've seen tool about an average of once a week this year think i can keep it up?!

piece.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #93
Level 1 - Lurker

I enjoyed this show a heap, I was really squashed second row silver ticket, but I could just stand there and enjoy the music (and actually hear maynard sing unlike BDO.)

And if that guy who elbowed me in the head and apologised later on in the night reads this, it's ok, I had worse at the BDO.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #94
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

I made this little animation from two photos I took on my phone. I was holding it above my head, but this is pretty close to the view I got of the stage, and I was one of the taller people at the gig. I don't remember what song was playing when the lasers were going off, but they were cool. I haven't seen many photos from GA, but one of mine turned out kind of ok.

Before / After

^Check it out... It trips me out to watch it, not to mention brings back memories of a great day / night.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #95
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn View Post
I made this little animation from two photos I took on my phone. I was holding it above my head, but this is pretty close to the view I got of the stage, and I was one of the taller people at the gig. I don't remember what song was playing when the lasers were going off, but they were cool. I haven't seen many photos from GA, but one of mine turned out kind of ok.

Before / After

^Check it out... It trips me out to watch it, not to mention brings back memories of a great day / night.
very fucking cool good work

Tool were awesome, i had a really good time! although that fuckin cunt on the roof distracted me during 10,000 days (the part we all know), but really who knows, even though the dude was fucking around and having a good time, it's not hard for him to slip, and i'm sure he was intoxicated to a pretty stupid fucking level, i thought/hoped maynard was going to say something after the song...i just love hearing the guy talk (it's down to such a minimum)

Also during rosetta stoned some guy from SYN fm came up to me n my mate and started giving us information about the station (numbers/mobile)....my stupid mate got stuck in a conversation with him and were annoying the people around us...the dude was annoying, i was thankful he went...but straight on to annoy some other unlucky people to be trapped in a conversation with him...

This was definently better than BDO...even though we missed out on one song (i would have liked to hear swamp song again)...although my BDO experience wasn't bad, it was pretty laxed (close to the D barrier as well) this setting was far better and the lawn IMO worked pretty well, i was suprised with the good view of the band i got..even my gf who is smaller than me got a pretty decent view

this concert felt a lot more natural and was better than the roger waters concert i saw the next night. Can't wait til' november/december....i hope they add 1 pushit, 1 eulogy and 1 D/R/T to the setlist....

Last edited by dirtyepic; 02-04-2007 at 02:34 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #96
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

In my boredom today I took photos of all my tool merch (half of which I got at the Melbourne show) and did a half-arsed job of photoshoping them all into one photo.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 AM   #97
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi Becky! Sorry for the lateness of my reply; busy busy couple of weeks. I was towards the right side of the lawn, just about in line with the right-hand support pylon of the canopy. Unfortunately, that placed me fairly close to where the guy on the roof was flailing about :S
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #99
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

http://flickr.com/photos/conrad_korten/ found some there.

that poster is indeed awesome.

and yes i'll be at some of those NIN shows, time to put my spiral membership to use.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #100
Level 7 - Loquacious

Just thought I'd sneak this in before this thread gets locked

http://www.beat.com.au/review.php?id=511

Quote:
Tool
Myer Music Bowl

Let’s get something straight. It hurts to write this.

Tool are one of my fave bands, 10,000 Days my album of 2006, and like many, I was highfiving my mates for weeks in the lead-up to this show. Tool. The Myer Music Bowl. Gold tickets. I was pumped. And no doubt, so too were the line of 11,500 black Tool t-shirts that circumvented the Tan, all queuing patiently to get in.

So how was it? How was the gig of the year, by the best band in the world?

Disappointing, is one word. Underwhelming, is the other.

For a start, what’s Maynard’s problem? Have people been telling him he’s God for so long now he’s started to believe it, or is it an acute case of little-man syndrome? Must be. Even after witnessing his dismissive superior air at the Big Day Out performance, and knowing his reputation for being ‘difficult’, still nothing prepared me for his refusal to engage with a devoted audience, his lack of communication, and the fact he comes across like an complete arrogant wanker onstage. Where was the energy? The presence? The charisma from their frontman? Weren’t Tool here to give us something back?

“Waddup?” sneers the singer to the 11,500 Tool fans who have payed over $100 (and let’s be honest, many paid a lot more on eBay) to see his band, as the four of them take the stage. Waddup, you say?

And so it goes. This middle-aged pot-bellied scrawny little man, with his cowboy hat and scraggly Mohawk, puts on the most introverted half-hearted performance I have ever seen from a band of their stature. Indeed, the term ‘frontman’, does not even apply in his case. His stage show limited itself to flailing like some drunken goblin whilst silhouetted against the picture screens, and sometimes singing. How well he sang exactly is debatable, his voice so buried in the guitar-heavy mix. And yes, Tool are a band where the vocals are lower in the mix than your conventional act. Regardless, for most of the show his voice was inaudible. When it was meant to soar, it didn’t, and so the crowd carried the tune for him.

Nonetheless, the gig had its moments. This is Tool, after all, so even if they were just going through the motions, no other band in the world even comes close to what they do. The band was tight, the sound monolithic, the playing above reproach. You could argue it was all worth it just to see drummer Danny Carey play. The man is an octopus. The virtuoso of percussion. Likewise, Justin Chancellor seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself, dropping his shoulder into the muscular basslines that give spine to Tool’s polyrhythmic songs, and while guitarist Adam Jones simply stood with a glazed expression for the entire show, he nonetheless executed every riff to perfection. Sledgehammer renditions of Jambi, with its spine-tingling talk-box solo, and Vicarious were truly awesome to witness live. However perfunctory the performances, Tool will always do enough to raise the hairs on the back of your arms.

But now to my other main quibble. The setlist! Sure, it was great to hear Stinkfist and 46&2 from Aenema, and as expected Parabola and the title track from Lateralus… but that was it! Apart from the dubious inclusion of an overly long Rosetta Stoned (arguably 10,000 Days’ most tuneless track), we were treated to boring interludes, and over 20 minutes of the dirge-like Wings For Marie I & II. Okay, okay, to the diehards who want to say this was ‘dynamics’ and part of the band’s psychedelic manifesto, you’re kidding yourselves. Did you come for a rock show, or to watch the outline of Maynard huddled over a keyboard warbling Tibetan cantors while the band tinker minimal atmospherics? To add insult to injury, the four of them abandoned their instruments for another five minutes and went and sat down on the drum riser to allow the crowd to bask them in lighter-held-high glory. What the fuck was that? The assembled Tool Army came for the songs, the anthems, a fucking concert! Not this self-indulgent dribble. And where the hell was the The Grudge? Or Ticks&Leeches? Even The Pot – undoubtedly the pick off the new album, a song clearly everyone wanted to hear, a song that Maynard refused to play in Sydney, a song begrudgingly trotted out at the Melbourne Big Day Out – was not played. These and many, many more of Tool’s great songs were simply ignored.

I suspect many of us have been guilty of looking at Tool through rose-coloured 3D glasses for too long. For those who allowed themselves to be stung for a $45 t-shirt prior the show, I bet you’re kicking yourself now. The roar of the crowd that followed the band’s group huddle at the end of their show was equal parts incredulousness as it was appreciation. Surely that can’t be it, seemed to be the consensus. They say every great band should leave you wanting more, but in this case a fair proportion of the crowd would have left feeling short-changed. Sorry, fellas, but a pretty laser show and some picture screens alone don’t make a great gig. Let’s hope when you return in November/December, you’ll give the fans what they want.

Oh, and thank you, Maynard. It’s now clear how the band arrived at their name.

NICK SNELLING
Does Nick lurk or post here? Interesting that he echoes what a lot have said on tn.
Also FWIW InPress gave this show an excellent review.

Last edited by white horse; 02-06-2007 at 06:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #101
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by white horse View Post
Does Nick lurk or post here? Interesting that he echoes what a lot have said on tn.
Also FWIW InPress gave this show an excellent review.
I think he echoes what a lot of us felt about some of the performances. Which prolly just means he loves this band and feels gutted that they (or Maynard, or whatever) under-delivered....

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with their setlist for this and other shows. Stinkfist? Again? Schism? Not even one of their standout songs (IMHO, and I know I'm not alone in that). Rosetta Stoned doesn't do it for me live. Take those aforementioned songs out and they could have played 4 or 5 others, like

The Pot (I still cannot come to terms with the fact this song was not played at most of the shows. Simply does not make any FUCKING sense to me).
Sober
The Patient (maybe?)
Right in Two (maybe?)
Eulogy or The Grudge

Ended up being more like a Tool's Greatest Hits!! (exclamation points thoroughly intentional, to put the point across how cheesy and awful Greatest Hits albums are).

Great for "new' fans or fans they are still trying to win over. But for the devoted and loyal followers, just not the best songs available.

As far as Maynard goes, I saw him at Perth BDO few nights back and as per my review of that show, I really thought he pulled finger, came down to Earth with the rest of us mortals, and gave 100%. The sound was poor due mainly to wind and maybe some mixing issues, and his vocals were affected more than the instruments because of this, but he definitely sang every lyric, didn't hold back on the challenging vocal shouts, etc, and I thought he danced around and performed well. Maybe he was faking it, but who cares? He was convincing and that's all that is required. After all, that's what defines a great actor.

Last edited by deuceman; 02-06-2007 at 07:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #102
Level 7 - Loquacious

Perth was the last show in Oz, perhaps that had something to do with it?

Personally I'm happy not to hear Sober. Prison Sex would be better.

I still maintain this was the best show of the four that i saw though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #103
Level 1 - Lurker

Thanks for the link, white horse. Yeah, it pained me as well. I was beside myself with anticipation for weeks leading up to this show. On the day, I had butterflies in my stomach and couldn't wait to get out of this fucking office.

But yeah, I could not help but feel like I'd missed out on something. Still, I will be seeing them again at the end of the year. Everyone has their off days...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: