opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 11. Reflection
User Name
Password
Old 11-24-2002, 11:06 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
connection to Pushit, Brena

The word reflection is also used significantly in the A Perfect Circle song "Brena" and also in "Pushit." Maynard has commented in interviews that his fiance, whose middle name I believe is Brena, he often refers to as his "reflection."

Anyone have any thoughts on the meaning of the word "reflection" in these three songs?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:03 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

reflection in general... as is the image of what is reflected. our moon as the other planets reflects the light of our center the sun. coming from a view of that the brilliance of what is being reflected upon surely would not be the same without it's counterpart that gives it it's source of reflection. how could we as people as we are exist the way we do without the light of the sun. our moon as inspiring as it can be would not shine without the source of life that feeds the entity of our solar system as a whole, nor would we. in our lives sometimes we tend to misplace our attention on what is reflected forgetting the source of that.my daughter is a reflection of myself and her mother, as we are of our parents and whatever we take in.in this we are the mirrors and the reflected at the same time. sounds like a paradox, it is, we are paradox. as is everything in between and beside. us as humans wish to accomplish whatever it is we will therefor we reflect, all we do is a reflection of some kind, no matter how small the act may be. in other words, cause and effect. if i point a gun at my head and pull the trigger the reflection of that is inevitably that i would cease in existance. at the same token the remains of my body would in some way form with the world around and be as one with it in this way. the act of meditation serving as a catalyst to feel oneness, peace, the reflection of coarse of action. if you percieve it then in some way it is reflected. though we cannot generally stare into the sun, she reflects her light upon the monn, the other planets, inspiring us to dig further into what is and can be. if everyone everywhere could reach the point of transcendant essence through meditation or whatever gets you there at the same moment in time what would that reflect, could we all see each other for what we are? reflections of everything. everything is everything.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:38 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
yes, maynard likes to use the term reflection a lot. In APC, the names are of the people who were involved in the life of christ. Brena is no exception, for Maynard, although he would never say so, apparently has the christ consciousness or he would not throw Brena in the mix. Trent Reznor also makes many religious references, although his are more shocking and brutally to the point.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by paraflux
In APC, the names are of the people who were involved in the life of christ. Brena is no exception, for Maynard, although he would never say so, apparently has the christ consciousness or he would not throw Brena in the mix.
I'm afraid I don't see this... Thomas and Magdalena, sure, and that there are even two that fit that pattern is significant, but the rest? Judith is also a figure in Judeo-Christian tradition, but was not during Jesus' time on earth. I think the only pattern is the use of names. My suspicion is that some of these may be middle names (Brena is a case in point) as done on the album Aenima...(i.e. jimmy and h.)
Old 11-26-2002, 06:46 AM   #5
Banned.

magdalena, the rose I think may have been inspired by the woman who was going to get stoned by the people and Jesus saved her, Judith I think is Judas said with a lisp (it is about betrayal), three kings (wise men who ponder why they feel passed over), Thomas, Brena. But hey, I get out of it whatever I desire, and you do the same.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:36 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I can see Sleeping Beauty as perhaps the days when Jesus was dead and awaiting the resurrection.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:58 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

true, you could get these types of religious ideas out of APC but i heavily doubt that maynard would do that just beause of his religious beliefs, or lack thereof. i could see it though, if you cast aside maynards beliefs and go with youre own, i can deffinitly see the similarities. such as hollow, christianity is said to fill the empty.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:07 AM   #8
Banned.

yes but it only temporarily pacifies.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:46 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by ragna16
I can see Sleeping Beauty as perhaps the days when Jesus was dead and awaiting the resurrection.
Actually, I heard that "Sleeping Beauty" was about a woman Maynard dated once but she was never around or she wasn't really involved in the relationship; as if she was always "sleeping". But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:02 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Pushit - Brena - Reflection

I agree that there is a definite connection between Maynard's use of the term reflection in Pushit, Brena and Reflection.

I think the connection has already been touched on by
Evilentity and Asphexict. It rests in the concept of the relationship that one individual shares with another individual (particularly in Brena and Pushit) and the relationship/connection an individual feels between themselves and the larger universe.

The fact that Pushit, Brena and Reflection are all Track 11 on their respective albums may also lend weight to the theory that they are connected in some way.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Sleeping beauty thing...

Good point about Sleeping beauty being about christ and the time when he was not around.

But I think it's meaning may actually be what you get at face value. Perhaps it is about one of the men who tried to wake her, but was unsuccessful, and he is venting his frustration in song form. This of course could definately translate over to a relationship Maynard may have been in.

"Truly thought I could make it right if I, kissed you one more time to, chase away the nightmares...but you're far too poisoned for me. Such a fool to think that I could wake you from your slumber"

Sounds like frustration to me...
Old 01-27-2003, 05:12 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by ragna16
I don't quite agree with you there Ragna, but you have hit upon something that hadn't occured to me. Remember Jesus healed the little girl who all thought was dead and he told thems he was only "Sleeping". Remember in the song Maynard says, "thought I could magically heal you"
Old 04-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: connection to Pushit, Brena

Judith is the name of Maynard's late mother- Judith Marie Keenan/Garrison. She had a debilitating disease, which ultimately took her life in 2003. That is where Wings for Marie came from on 10,000 Days. And if you know about her religious Baptist faith, one could certainly link the song Judith to be connected to her as well. Just my thoughts. Also, I don't think anyone will ever figure out the meanings or inspiration for his music. It's his. Whatever it means to you is what is important.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: