Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
Semi-Fiction's Avatar Semi-Fiction
08-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Buckingham View Post
His name is Jeff - and he's Adam's guitar tech. Had a few drinks with him on the Monday before the Kingston show - I'm the doorman at a bar, and he was the firt guy to walk in. Had a real nice time chatting with him - he even put me on Tool's guestlist for the Kingston show - really nice guy - and awesome to see him rock out 46&2 :)

Also, pretty sure it wasn't Adam playing. It's not lip synching here guys, it's a live show. Doesn`t work that way. .
Not to argue, but I'm positive it was Adam playing the song.

a) I was on the floor, with a perfect view of what was going on
b) I play guitar, and I know how the song is played
c) He was clearly pretending to be playing the bass line while adam (backstage or whatever) was hitting the chords during the intro/first verse... as well as the minimal notes during the "I'm down, digging through, my old muscles, for a clue" part.
d) During the drum solo, he didn't even attempt to pretend to look like he's using the wah wah pedal for the part at the end of the solo.
e) The "I choose to live and to, lie, steal and... etc." part requires a sliding motion going down the neck to do the riff... his hand was in one spot.
f) He was holding Adam's backup guitar.
g) No sign of him clicking on/off the delay pedal(s) during the intro chords.
h) No sign of using the volume knob for the chord swells in the intro, or for kicking up the volume for the choruses.

I know it's a live show... and it shouldn't work that way, but you also gotta realize that it's not likely that the lead singer of a band would leave halfway through a song to get french fries and take his clothes off (which happened to be a cop's uniform). It's not just a live show, it's Tool!

-Michael
Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #41
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.05.09 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Buckingham View Post
His name is Jeff - and he's Adam's guitar tech. Had a few drinks with him on the Monday before the Kingston show - I'm the doorman at a bar, and he was the firt guy to walk in. Had a real nice time chatting with him - he even put me on Tool's guestlist for the Kingston show - really nice guy - and awesome to see him rock out 46&2 :)

Also, pretty sure it wasn't Adam playing. It's not lip synching here guys, it's a live show. Doesn`t work that way. .

c) He was clearly pretending to be playing the bass line while adam (backstage or whatever) was hitting the chords during the intro/first verse... as well as the minimal notes during the "I'm down, digging through, my old muscles, for a clue" part.
d) During the drum solo, he didn't even attempt to pretend to look like he's using the wah wah pedal for the part at the end of the solo.
e) The "I choose to live and to, lie, steal and... etc." part requires a sliding motion going down the neck to do the riff... his hand was in one spot.
h) No sign of using the volume knob for the chord swells in the intro, or for kicking up the volume for the choruses.

I know it's a live show... and it shouldn't work that way, but you also gotta realize that it's not likely that the lead singer of a band would leave halfway through a song to get french fries and take his clothes off (which happened to be a cop's uniform). It's not just a live show, it's Tool!

-Michael
OFFLINE |  
Anon-Imus's Avatar Anon-Imus
08-06-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaNaa View Post
Overall not their best performance, they are not hungry anymore, so that is to be expected, but it's definitely not as bad as people make it seem in their reviews.
Word brother!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaNaa View Post
Overall not their best performance, they are not hungry anymore, so that is to be expected, but it's definitely not as bad as people make it seem in their reviews.
Word brother!
OFFLINE |  
Stumble's Avatar Stumble
08-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Fiction View Post
you know you're probably right. he seemed to be doing incredibly well for just standing there. especially to just jump in like that and nail it flawless. my vote is officially swayed.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
you know you're probably right. he seemed to be doing incredibly well for just standing there. especially to just jump in like that and nail it flawless. my vote is officially swayed.
08-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Wow. Great show. It was my 6th time seeing them, 2nd time at the Amphitheatre. Of the four of us there, who had all seen the 10,000 Days tour multiple times, I was the only one who decided to check out the setlist beforehand just to see if they were going to switch it up. They didn't. Still, I managed to keep it a secret and played it up like I was hoping they'd play Pushit or something like that (which I fuckin hoped they would!) but I knew they wouldn't dick around much with the set. Same old, same old.

However, the fuckin sound mix was spot on. We could hear Maynard perfectly from where we were. I didn't catch him fuckin around with the lyrics at all unlike what posters said from other show reviews, outside of Rosetta Stoned (the megaphone part - was missing "and I didn't even graduate from fuckin highschool", he said something entirely different there and a bunch of other stuff). The only thing about sitting way the fuck at the back by the fence is that the show was not loud at all. I've had TOOL cranked on the ghettoblaster way louder than that in my backyard. That's what I get for showing up late to the grass section though, eh?

Anyways, Adam switched up a riff in Stinkfist and it sounded fuckin awesome. That was right around the time I finally made it out of the beer line and made my way to the back fence where we parked ourselves for the rest of the show. Kind of reminded me of that one sustained note at the end of the live Pushit (which changes the whole mood of the song if you ask me) and I was kind of floored by that subtle detail he threw in there. NICE!

We showed up kind of late, about 15 mins before Tool came on but I don't think I remember seeing the place that packed before. Unfortunately, that also meant A LOT of security fuckers floating around - so much that my brother-in-law, who's usually firing one up every song (just about) was all cautious about it. And just when we were about to, another yellowjacket walked by. We didn't even have a chance to smoke one until Lateralus when I finally said "fuck it" and sparked one up of my own. Other than that, all the people around us were pretty cool. Nice banter from everyone on the way out. Some chick was being looked at by the security crew right behind us, probably wacked out on shrooms or some other psychodelic shit.

One MAJOR criticism. Next time you're wrapping up your show, sign the goddamn last chorus of the song, Maynard. I don't know if he thought the crowd was going to belt that out for the end or whatever, but that shit backfires BIG TIME when people don't really imbibe. I could have done w/out the shitty echo effect on his vox for the entire song, too (they fixed them a bit by the end but by then it was too late).

Tool. I fuckin love you. I'm glad Maynard didn't just mail it in like it's been sounding like he's been doing lately (besides folding the cards early on Vicarious). Not my favourite performance by them but it was right up there. Definitely one of the better sound mixes.

PS: anyone with a recording of the show, I'd love to get my hands on a copy if anyone would be so kind as to share. The only set I'm missing of all the Tool shows I've seen is the Hummingbird show in 06 (although I'd shit twice to have that one too!). And to whoever said the traffic SUCKED on the 427, amen to that. Took 4hrs to get back home. Totally worth it, though.

Last edited by mulletron2084partdeux; 08-06-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow. Great show. It was my 6th time seeing them, 2nd time at the Amphitheatre. Of the four of us there, who had all seen the 10,000 Days tour multiple times, I was the only one who decided to check out the setlist beforehand just to see if they were going to switch it up. They didn't. Still, I managed to keep it a secret and played it up like I was hoping they'd play Pushit or something like that (which I fuckin hoped they would!) but I knew they wouldn't dick around much with the set. Same old, same old.

However, the fuckin sound mix was spot on. We could hear Maynard perfectly from where we were. I didn't catch him fuckin around with the lyrics at all unlike what posters said from other show reviews, outside of Rosetta Stoned (the megaphone part - was missing "and I didn't even graduate from fuckin highschool", he said something entirely different there and a bunch of other stuff). The only thing about sitting way the fuck at the back by the fence is that the show was not loud at all. I've had TOOL cranked on the ghettoblaster way louder than that in my backyard. That's what I get for showing up late to the grass section though, eh?

Anyways, Adam switched up a riff in Stinkfist and it sounded fuckin awesome. That was right around the time I finally made it out of the beer line and made my way to the back fence where we parked ourselves for the rest of the show. Kind of reminded me of that one sustained note at the end of the live Pushit (which changes the whole mood of the song if you ask me) and I was kind of floored by that subtle detail he threw in there. NICE!

We showed up kind of late, about 15 mins before Tool came on but I don't think I remember seeing the place that packed before. Unfortunately, that also meant A LOT of security fuckers floating around - so much that my brother-in-law, who's usually firing one up every song (just about) was all cautious about it. And just when we were about to, another yellowjacket walked by. We didn't even have a chance to smoke one until Lateralus when I finally said "fuck it" and sparked one up of my own. Other than that, all the people around us were pretty cool. Nice banter from everyone on the way out. Some chick was being looked at by the security crew right behind us, probably wacked out on shrooms or some other psychodelic shit.

One MAJOR criticism. Next time you're wrapping up your show, sign the goddamn last chorus of the song, Maynard. I don't know if he thought the crowd was going to belt that out for the end or whatever, but that shit backfires BIG TIME when people don't really imbibe. I could have done w/out the shitty echo effect on his vox for the entire song, too (they fixed them a bit by the end but by then it was too late).

Tool. I fuckin love you. I'm glad Maynard didn't just mail it in like it's been sounding like he's been doing lately (besides folding the cards early on Vicarious). Not my favourite performance by them but it was right up there. Definitely one of the better sound mixes.

PS: anyone with a recording of the show, I'd love to get my hands on a copy if anyone would be so kind as to share. The only set I'm missing of all the Tool shows I've seen is the Hummingbird show in 06 (although I'd shit twice to have that one too!). And to whoever said the traffic SUCKED on the 427, amen to that. Took 4hrs to get back home. Totally worth it, though.

Last edited by mulletron2084partdeux; 08-06-2009 at 08:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
emzee
08-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Hey at one point on the monitors it showed the tool eye but it was a really sick design i can't recall during which song it was shown since i was high the whole time but me and my friend thought it'd make a real sick tatto it almost looked like a dragon/eye it was cool i was wondering if anybody knew where i could find this specific design? Can't find it look everywhere!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey at one point on the monitors it showed the tool eye but it was a really sick design i can't recall during which song it was shown since i was high the whole time but me and my friend thought it'd make a real sick tatto it almost looked like a dragon/eye it was cool i was wondering if anybody knew where i could find this specific design? Can't find it look everywhere!
OFFLINE |  
PelvicThrust
08-07-2009, 12:13 AM

I've been listening to Tool for years but this was the first successful opportunity I've had to see them live. Had some great seats, 300 section with a perfect view in the center. Not sure how we got in the red section, I just clicked best available. What a great fucking crowd.

My girlfriend and I were even able to share a joint even though we didn't bring anything to smoke. What an incredible venue.

I didn't do any research into the setlist, so for me to hear music from Aenima and Undertow was pretty fucking awesome. I was pretty far gone by the time Flood came on, I barely recognized it, nearly mistaking it for an unreleased new song. I need to put undertow on my stereo more often. I lost my mind when Aenima came on. The concluding image of the band just standing motionless on stage after that song was beautiful. The amphitheater erupted after Aenima. I remember banging my fists so hard into the seats in front of me (the older couple sitting there left pretty early on). I can barely move my pinky as a result lol.

I was not prepared for the encore. Lateralus seems to go on forever and being in that moment of wanting that release is something everyone should experience live.

"To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human."

Such a smash of energy after those lyrics, was such a treat to see that happen live.

The stage effects were a lot of fun. Asteroids came out of nowhere, and the videos tripped me out more than a couple times.

I'm glad I found this place to fill me in on the shit I forgot / didn't hear over the speakers. Maynard made some funny jokes. Did he say something about bending over our fathers or something to that extent? I laughed at his love of french fries and his admiration of the Canadian turn out.

Great fucking times guys, will be there again for whenever they return to the area.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

I've been listening to Tool for years but this was the first successful opportunity I've had to see them live. Had some great seats, 300 section with a perfect view in the center. Not sure how we got in the red section, I just clicked best available. What a great fucking crowd.

My girlfriend and I were even able to share a joint even though we didn't bring anything to smoke. What an incredible venue.

I didn't do any research into the setlist, so for me to hear music from Aenima and Undertow was pretty fucking awesome. I was pretty far gone by the time Flood came on, I barely recognized it, nearly mistaking it for an unreleased new song. I need to put undertow on my stereo more often. I lost my mind when Aenima came on. The concluding image of the band just standing motionless on stage after that song was beautiful. The amphitheater erupted after Aenima. I remember banging my fists so hard into the seats in front of me (the older couple sitting there left pretty early on). I can barely move my pinky as a result lol.

I was not prepared for the encore. Lateralus seems to go on forever and being in that moment of wanting that release is something everyone should experience live.

"To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human."

Such a smash of energy after those lyrics, was such a treat to see that happen live.

The stage effects were a lot of fun. Asteroids came out of nowhere, and the videos tripped me out more than a couple times.

I'm glad I found this place to fill me in on the shit I forgot / didn't hear over the speakers. Maynard made some funny jokes. Did he say something about bending over our fathers or something to that extent? I laughed at his love of french fries and his admiration of the Canadian turn out.

Great fucking times guys, will be there again for whenever they return to the area.
OFFLINE |  
BoNeSaW's Avatar BoNeSaW
08-07-2009, 04:58 AM

5th time seeing TOOL. Was very excited to hear they were coming to TO again, on this short tour, however after seeing the setlist I was somewhat let down. Was at the last show at the Amp and pretty much the same, although I won't complain, I'll go see TOOL any day and love whatever they play, I just hoped to hear some new songs added or older stuff, but hearing Flood for the 2nd time was another hilight of the night! I guess hearing any off Opiate or Undertow would be pretty damn rare nowadays, glad I saw them back in the early 90's.

Show was awesome, we had decent seats, not the best, sec.305 row A.... arrived 2 hours before the show started, security wasn't as bad as last time in the parking lot, met alot of other fans and we partied, drank, listened to TOOL, just had a great time before the show. Shirts were selling for $40-50, a little too much as I really didn't like any that much to fork out $50. Posters was $25 and I think $100 autographed (could be wrong).

I was impressed with Tweak Bird, read some mixed reviews on the previous shows, but that drummer was pretty impressive to me. Not bad at all for a 2 peice band, I would see them again, one of the better bands that I've seen open for TOOL.

As for TOOL.... what else can I add that hasn't been said.... Lighting was amazing, Maynard was in good spirit it seems, Adam and Justin rocked.... and Danny Carey is a friggin machine! He's worth the admission alone! Seems like every show I goto I spend most of it wacthing Danny and just amazed!

Yes traffic was a bitch getting home, arrived back in London at 3:00am.... I didn't really mind as buddy drove and I pretty much passed out.... LOL.

Ticket = $85
Gas = 40
Shirt = $40
Parking = $20
Beers = $11 x many! (damn that was pricey!)

WELL WORTH IT FOR TOOL!

I sold an extra ticket on here to a Toolshed member, for face value, met at the show and we sat together, Had a great time! Thanks Justin!

Here's another review from todays Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/677474
Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 AM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

5th time seeing TOOL. Was very excited to hear they were coming to TO again, on this short tour, however after seeing the setlist I was somewhat let down. Was at the last show at the Amp and pretty much the same, although I won't complain, I'll go see TOOL any day and love whatever they play, I just hoped to hear some new songs added or older stuff, but hearing Flood for the 2nd time was another hilight of the night! I guess hearing any off Opiate or Undertow would be pretty damn rare nowadays, glad I saw them back in the early 90's.

Show was awesome, we had decent seats, not the best, sec.305 row A.... arrived 2 hours before the show started, security wasn't as bad as last time in the parking lot, met alot of other fans and we partied, drank, listened to TOOL, just had a great time before the show. Shirts were selling for $40-50, a little too much as I really didn't like any that much to fork out $50. Posters was $25 and I think $100 autographed (could be wrong).

I was impressed with Tweak Bird, read some mixed reviews on the previous shows, but that drummer was pretty impressive to me. Not bad at all for a 2 peice band, I would see them again, one of the better bands that I've seen open for TOOL.

As for TOOL.... what else can I add that hasn't been said.... Lighting was amazing, Maynard was in good spirit it seems, Adam and Justin rocked.... and Danny Carey is a friggin machine! He's worth the admission alone! Seems like every show I goto I spend most of it wacthing Danny and just amazed!

Yes traffic was a bitch getting home, arrived back in London at 3:00am.... I didn't really mind as buddy drove and I pretty much passed out.... LOL.

Ticket = $85
Gas = 40
Shirt = $40
Parking = $20
Beers = $11 x many! (damn that was pricey!)

WELL WORTH IT FOR TOOL!

I sold an extra ticket on here to a Toolshed member, for face value, met at the show and we sat together, Had a great time! Thanks Justin!

Here's another review from todays Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/677474
OFFLINE |  
bystander4
08-07-2009, 06:22 AM

damn good show
want some fries?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

damn good show
want some fries?
OFFLINE |  
anothertool
08-07-2009, 07:04 AM

They had some pretty sick tees at the show, wish I had more money at the time. Does anyone know if they're available any other place? (looking for the connected tongue one and the white one with the black old school tool wrench).

By the way, I'm still blown away by the show days later..that eye with the world in it that kept repeating was extremely trippy.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

They had some pretty sick tees at the show, wish I had more money at the time. Does anyone know if they're available any other place? (looking for the connected tongue one and the white one with the black old school tool wrench).

By the way, I'm still blown away by the show days later..that eye with the world in it that kept repeating was extremely trippy.
OFFLINE |  
imbackagain2's Avatar imbackagain2
08-07-2009, 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=BWyze;2770890

Any of the other Cambridge/Guelph/K-W guys have a pain in the ass time traveling back from the venue? Delays on the Gardiner, 427 and 401 meant it was 4 by the time I got in last night...really killed my good mood after the show.[/QUOTE]

took me 3 fucken hours with my buddies drunk and passed out
Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #50
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

[QUOTE=BWyze;2770890

Any of the other Cambridge/Guelph/K-W guys have a pain in the ass time traveling back from the venue? Delays on the Gardiner, 427 and 401 meant it was 4 by the time I got in last night...really killed my good mood after the show.[/QUOTE]

took me 3 fucken hours with my buddies drunk and passed out
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM

First time seeing Tool, took my teenager for his birthday (his first time as well). I have been to a lot of venues and shows over the last thirty years, this one had me a bit skeptical since I am relatively new to Tool's music....turned out to be quite honestly one of the finest performances I have ever witnessed. These guys are fantastic - tight, organized, and very talented. The sound was the loudest I have ever heard, but so crystal clear and clean. I was thinking of a way to try to get to Cinncinatti tonight to do it all over again - but that would probably cost me my job. Thanks for the wonderful show, we will see Tool again if you are back out East.

How about a live DVD set ???

A couple of constructive critical comments: 1) The show was advertised as Tool only, but we ended up getting a dose of a band I will not name because they dont deserve the exposure. Had to leave until they were done to save the ears for Tool. 2) I understand waiting for the sun to set (Molson Amp. is an outdoor venue - check it out if you get a chance) to get the show started - makes perfectly good sense to me since the freaking stage show is top notch and requires the darkness. If this is the plan, tell the customer the show starts at 9:00 instead of 7:30. OK - enough whining.

Tool fan for life now - epic expierence. Peace ~
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

First time seeing Tool, took my teenager for his birthday (his first time as well). I have been to a lot of venues and shows over the last thirty years, this one had me a bit skeptical since I am relatively new to Tool's music....turned out to be quite honestly one of the finest performances I have ever witnessed. These guys are fantastic - tight, organized, and very talented. The sound was the loudest I have ever heard, but so crystal clear and clean. I was thinking of a way to try to get to Cinncinatti tonight to do it all over again - but that would probably cost me my job. Thanks for the wonderful show, we will see Tool again if you are back out East.

How about a live DVD set ???

A couple of constructive critical comments: 1) The show was advertised as Tool only, but we ended up getting a dose of a band I will not name because they dont deserve the exposure. Had to leave until they were done to save the ears for Tool. 2) I understand waiting for the sun to set (Molson Amp. is an outdoor venue - check it out if you get a chance) to get the show started - makes perfectly good sense to me since the freaking stage show is top notch and requires the darkness. If this is the plan, tell the customer the show starts at 9:00 instead of 7:30. OK - enough whining.

Tool fan for life now - epic expierence. Peace ~
OFFLINE |  
dave.'s Avatar dave.
08-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
Whomever it was, the guy was 100% not playing the song. Adam was off to the side playing, I'm certain. The guy's strumming and fingering weren't at all in sync with what was coming out of the amps and he simply wasn't playing the song. His hand would be in an entirely different location on the fretboard from where it should be for any particular part of the song.

To clarify, Maynard refered to the guy as Stephen Hawking, afterward saying, "music really is the cure-all," I'd assume in reference to Hawking having ALS. Without having any idea at all why he'd call him Stephen Hawking, my guess is it has to do with Hawking being a briliant physicist/scientist and the stage techs and this "guest guitarist" all being decked out in lab coats. Who knows though, really.

Great show. Not much else to add really, that hasn't already been said a thousand times. One thing I did notice, both in Toronto and Kingston, that made an impression on me was that Justin helped with the break-down of the guest drummers' kit, following Lateralus. I just found that admirable, for whatever reason, since they literally have an army of stage techs to take care of this. Reminded me of small club bands that set up and tear down their own equipment before and after a set.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
Whomever it was, the guy was 100% not playing the song. Adam was off to the side playing, I'm certain. The guy's strumming and fingering weren't at all in sync with what was coming out of the amps and he simply wasn't playing the song. His hand would be in an entirely different location on the fretboard from where it should be for any particular part of the song.

To clarify, Maynard refered to the guy as Stephen Hawking, afterward saying, "music really is the cure-all," I'd assume in reference to Hawking having ALS. Without having any idea at all why he'd call him Stephen Hawking, my guess is it has to do with Hawking being a briliant physicist/scientist and the stage techs and this "guest guitarist" all being decked out in lab coats. Who knows though, really.

Great show. Not much else to add really, that hasn't already been said a thousand times. One thing I did notice, both in Toronto and Kingston, that made an impression on me was that Justin helped with the break-down of the guest drummers' kit, following Lateralus. I just found that admirable, for whatever reason, since they literally have an army of stage techs to take care of this. Reminded me of small club bands that set up and tear down their own equipment before and after a set.
OFFLINE |  
dave.'s Avatar dave.
08-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:

-Michael
Yup, I'm in complete agreement with this.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

-Michael
Yup, I'm in complete agreement with this.
OFFLINE |  
Jalamanta
08-07-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletron2084partdeux View Post
However, the fuckin sound mix was spot on. We could hear Maynard perfectly from where we were.

You know, maybe because I was right up front to the right the vocals didn't sound as clear at times. Listening to a clip of this show on YouTube Maynard did sound perfect.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
However, the fuckin sound mix was spot on. We could hear Maynard perfectly from where we were.

You know, maybe because I was right up front to the right the vocals didn't sound as clear at times. Listening to a clip of this show on YouTube Maynard did sound perfect.
OFFLINE |  
Loosen's Avatar Loosen
08-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Epic show. Some to the left of me got wrestled by two cops a second or two right before AEnema. As unexplainably hiddeous that must've been for that girl and as much as I wish that wouldn't of happened, I admit it added to the experience of the song.
I think Steven Niles must've taught Adam everything he knows, cause Steve was right fuckin on. And if you actually think Adam was behind the stage actually playing I think you might just want to skip the next show. (But who knows, it might have happened and I just be an asshole).
haha It's funny to hear about things I didn't catch Maynard pulling. Like fucking with the roadies, or talking about Stephen Hawking.
I went to the Kingston show the night before and I liked each show just as much. Even though it was the same setlist it felt like a completely different show (not surprisingly). The main difference was that in Kingston I got interrupted by idiots have angst orgies around me sometimes, but I still had room to get into it and I've never been that close to Tool before.

Nothing beats Tom Morello during Lateralus in 2007 though. (haha I AM an asshole).
Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #55
Level 2 - Poster

Epic show. Some to the left of me got wrestled by two cops a second or two right before AEnema. As unexplainably hiddeous that must've been for that girl and as much as I wish that wouldn't of happened, I admit it added to the experience of the song.
I think Steven Niles must've taught Adam everything he knows, cause Steve was right fuckin on. And if you actually think Adam was behind the stage actually playing I think you might just want to skip the next show. (But who knows, it might have happened and I just be an asshole).
haha It's funny to hear about things I didn't catch Maynard pulling. Like fucking with the roadies, or talking about Stephen Hawking.
I went to the Kingston show the night before and I liked each show just as much. Even though it was the same setlist it felt like a completely different show (not surprisingly). The main difference was that in Kingston I got interrupted by idiots have angst orgies around me sometimes, but I still had room to get into it and I've never been that close to Tool before.

Nothing beats Tom Morello during Lateralus in 2007 though. (haha I AM an asshole).
08-08-2009, 06:57 AM

Did anyone else catch the Prison Sex teaser or was I just imagining Adam screwing with us? I think it was towards the latter part of the setlist but I am sure I distinctly heard some sort of pick slide that resembled the Prison Sex intro.

Saw them twice at Copps the last time they came through but I have to give this show the edge. Grabbed lawns for the amphitheater as both Foos and NIN where excellent when I saw them here last. Not having the audience's singing reverberating inside the coliseum but dissipating into the air meant that with the exception of the distortion on RS, all of Maynard's vocals where crystal clear where we stood.

I cannot complain about the setlist as they have played 3 similar lists but seeing RIT, then Flood and now Aenima means that technically speaking I have been fortunate to see 3 different shows.

The type of artistry and all aspects that they cover are nearly non existent nowadays so I will make every effort to see them whenever they are in town. Take it while you can get it because it will be a very sad day when the brilliance that is TOOL decides their days of fun in the sun are over.

5 stars in my book and if the rumour holds true, then I believe Maynard exited very quickly to hit up his usual VIP room at The Brass Rail. The true definition of a Rockstar.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anyone else catch the Prison Sex teaser or was I just imagining Adam screwing with us? I think it was towards the latter part of the setlist but I am sure I distinctly heard some sort of pick slide that resembled the Prison Sex intro.

Saw them twice at Copps the last time they came through but I have to give this show the edge. Grabbed lawns for the amphitheater as both Foos and NIN where excellent when I saw them here last. Not having the audience's singing reverberating inside the coliseum but dissipating into the air meant that with the exception of the distortion on RS, all of Maynard's vocals where crystal clear where we stood.

I cannot complain about the setlist as they have played 3 similar lists but seeing RIT, then Flood and now Aenima means that technically speaking I have been fortunate to see 3 different shows.

The type of artistry and all aspects that they cover are nearly non existent nowadays so I will make every effort to see them whenever they are in town. Take it while you can get it because it will be a very sad day when the brilliance that is TOOL decides their days of fun in the sun are over.

5 stars in my book and if the rumour holds true, then I believe Maynard exited very quickly to hit up his usual VIP room at The Brass Rail. The true definition of a Rockstar.
OFFLINE |  
mulletron2084partdeux
08-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeastfromtheeast View Post
I'm pretty sure that huge pick slide you heard was Justin during Rosetta Stoned, right before the breakdown. Extra long, sounded great.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that huge pick slide you heard was Justin during Rosetta Stoned, right before the breakdown. Extra long, sounded great.
OFFLINE |  
thebeastfromtheeast
08-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Possibly, but I think it was a series of slides that got my attention.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Possibly, but I think it was a series of slides that got my attention.
OFFLINE |  
slowlyfading
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
if the rumour holds true, then I believe Maynard exited very quickly to hit up his usual VIP room at The Brass Rail. The true definition of a Rockstar.
My friends and I had aftershow passes so after the show ended we were directed to this tent on the dock where, supposedly they were supposed to come and meet us. It wasn't very big; maybe 8 tables with 4 chairs around them. We could see them in a room across from this tent a little higher up that had glass windows and a balcony. They never came down so we didn't get to meet them. We waited until 2 am i think it was and then security kicked us out. Not the way to end a concert experience that's for sure!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
if the rumour holds true, then I believe Maynard exited very quickly to hit up his usual VIP room at The Brass Rail. The true definition of a Rockstar.
My friends and I had aftershow passes so after the show ended we were directed to this tent on the dock where, supposedly they were supposed to come and meet us. It wasn't very big; maybe 8 tables with 4 chairs around them. We could see them in a room across from this tent a little higher up that had glass windows and a balcony. They never came down so we didn't get to meet them. We waited until 2 am i think it was and then security kicked us out. Not the way to end a concert experience that's for sure!!!
OFFLINE |  
sb1919
08-09-2009, 10:14 AM

~I think that huge pick slide was when Adam began playing the 'Maynard's Dick' riff as an intro to Schism. ~I'm still amazed and dumbfounded as to how great the show was!! & just how talented those guys are! Hypnotic light show also! Loved the different visuals!~what a difference from when I first saw them (a few overhead lamps and a smoke machine) MJK was hiliarious!! I loved it when he was screwing around with one of thier road crew; telling that fat roadie *which I might add that did anyone notice the montage with the white labcoats a la Bill Hicks - Another Dead Hero artwork from Aeima??* Anyway, MJK telling him to move a box he was standing on back an forth, Maynard made him do it like 5-6 times before he was about to kick him *LOL
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

~I think that huge pick slide was when Adam began playing the 'Maynard's Dick' riff as an intro to Schism. ~I'm still amazed and dumbfounded as to how great the show was!! & just how talented those guys are! Hypnotic light show also! Loved the different visuals!~what a difference from when I first saw them (a few overhead lamps and a smoke machine) MJK was hiliarious!! I loved it when he was screwing around with one of thier road crew; telling that fat roadie *which I might add that did anyone notice the montage with the white labcoats a la Bill Hicks - Another Dead Hero artwork from Aeima??* Anyway, MJK telling him to move a box he was standing on back an forth, Maynard made him do it like 5-6 times before he was about to kick him *LOL
OFFLINE |  
Levi83
08-09-2009, 06:27 PM

This was the 10th Tool show I've seen and I was skeptical going into it because of the lukewarm reviews I had read of previous shows on this tour, and the familiar setlist.

Man was I surprised to see them put on their best show yet. Absolutely unreal.

We had 303 row J tickets, so JUST left of centre, a great view of the stage. This was by far the loudest show I've seen at the ampitheatre, and always seemed to be the loudest during the climaxes of the songs. Not only was it loud, but it was bassy and CRYSTAL clear. Absolutely perferctly mixed - you could hear every member distinctly. Maynard sounded great and was in good spirits, Danny was unreal as usual, and the whole band sounded as tight as I have ever seen them.

The light show - WOW. 10x better than the last tour, just unreal. Everything just looked really organic. The lasers during Rosetta Stoned that went with the guitar part in the middle was wicked, and the asteroids game on the screen after that part was great. Securtiy was great, I got to smoke the whole concert and not be bothered.

Before seeing this concert, I thought it would probably be my last Tool show for a while. But after seeing this show my faith has been restored in just how great they can be live. Epic, epic stuff in Toronto that night.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the 10th Tool show I've seen and I was skeptical going into it because of the lukewarm reviews I had read of previous shows on this tour, and the familiar setlist.

Man was I surprised to see them put on their best show yet. Absolutely unreal.

We had 303 row J tickets, so JUST left of centre, a great view of the stage. This was by far the loudest show I've seen at the ampitheatre, and always seemed to be the loudest during the climaxes of the songs. Not only was it loud, but it was bassy and CRYSTAL clear. Absolutely perferctly mixed - you could hear every member distinctly. Maynard sounded great and was in good spirits, Danny was unreal as usual, and the whole band sounded as tight as I have ever seen them.

The light show - WOW. 10x better than the last tour, just unreal. Everything just looked really organic. The lasers during Rosetta Stoned that went with the guitar part in the middle was wicked, and the asteroids game on the screen after that part was great. Securtiy was great, I got to smoke the whole concert and not be bothered.

Before seeing this concert, I thought it would probably be my last Tool show for a while. But after seeing this show my faith has been restored in just how great they can be live. Epic, epic stuff in Toronto that night.
OFFLINE |  
thompr2
08-10-2009, 07:15 AM

Im not sure what show the rest of you were watching, but Maynard really mailed this one in.... I have seen TOOL 5 times now, and not a single show has compared to the show they did at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton on the Lateralus Tour.

Lets be honest, 10K was a sub par TOOL album. The Pot was one of the only tracks that even resembled the brilliance that this band posesses. All that beign said, seeing TOOL was still better than seeing most other acts out there, Danny was on pojnt the whole night, I just felt that the band wasnt into it.

I wont see them again, at least not until they put out a half decent new album
Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Im not sure what show the rest of you were watching, but Maynard really mailed this one in.... I have seen TOOL 5 times now, and not a single show has compared to the show they did at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton on the Lateralus Tour.

Lets be honest, 10K was a sub par TOOL album. The Pot was one of the only tracks that even resembled the brilliance that this band posesses. All that beign said, seeing TOOL was still better than seeing most other acts out there, Danny was on pojnt the whole night, I just felt that the band wasnt into it.

I wont see them again, at least not until they put out a half decent new album
OFFLINE |  
zarocat11
08-12-2009, 04:17 PM

18th show.

Was in the pit and watching the body language of these 4 musicians reacting to Toronto was the best!

I can simply say they were alive. Maynard's brought me back to his days on the Aenima tour. Did he ever lose it though?...hmmm

P.S. Tell me that someone found a pair of Oakley shades in the pit or somewhere in and around there which have a giant 'O' on the sides, are all black and big lenses? Please someone tell me they found them and would like to return them to me? If not, it was my own stupidity for losing them and I guess someone else should be able to enjoy them. I love those fuckin' shades by the way. FUCK!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

18th show.

Was in the pit and watching the body language of these 4 musicians reacting to Toronto was the best!

I can simply say they were alive. Maynard's brought me back to his days on the Aenima tour. Did he ever lose it though?...hmmm

P.S. Tell me that someone found a pair of Oakley shades in the pit or somewhere in and around there which have a giant 'O' on the sides, are all black and big lenses? Please someone tell me they found them and would like to return them to me? If not, it was my own stupidity for losing them and I guess someone else should be able to enjoy them. I love those fuckin' shades by the way. FUCK!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply