opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #121
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55
Re: 2007/06/29 - Cincinnati, OH - US Bank Arena

I just arrived at my hotel and I'm now waiting to leave to go to the arena.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #122
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

leaving early eh? how far of a drive did you have? where are your seats?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #123
Level 3 - Talker

Awesome night despite some seat confusions and what felt like a 5 mile walk back to my car.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #124
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

setlist?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #125
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
setlist?
I can't seem to find the Review thread for this show. I wasn't there, just curious as to what was played. Someone help a brother out please.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #126
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

If no one has posted anything, I guess it's because there were no surprises.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:58 AM   #127
Level 4 - Thinker

Setlist, as far as I can remember- I was in 114 Row L if anyone was nearby

Jambi, Stinkfist, 46&2, Schism, Lost Keys, Rosetta Stoned, sweet interlude with Intension, Right in Two, Wings & 10,000 Days, Lateralus with AMAZING drum solo/duet with drummer from Big Business, and Vicarious

I thought the show was absolutely phenomenal, I had a great view of the band and my ears are still ringing- hope everyone else feels the same.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 AM   #128
Level 4 - Thinker

In relation to the columbus show, this one can't compare. The arena was terrible for sound, i'm pretty sure I never heard maynard throughout the entire concert. We even moved around trying to find a better place, seemed it sucked everywhere.

The drum set during lateralus was amazing, then again the problem with the sound wasn't with the drums.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #129
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga00gt View Post
In relation to the columbus show, this one can't compare. The arena was terrible for sound, i'm pretty sure I never heard maynard throughout the entire concert. We even moved around trying to find a better place, seemed it sucked everywhere.

The drum set during lateralus was amazing, then again the problem with the sound wasn't with the drums.

Agreed, way to ruin an awesome song, put someone out there who doesn't know how to play it.

Also, the lighting, could they not have fucked up the lasers better than accidentally turning on half of the arena's billboards, including the video screen in the middle. I'd like to hear Maynard's comments on that.

I was in 105 and only had a few problems hearing, mostly because of all the pricks talking around me. I know the instrumentals are long some times but they are not an excuses to send your buddies for more beer or to sit and chat about your day. I'm there for the music, with or without the words.

Sorry I can't remember the whole set list, but yeah it was pretty much the same show I had seen earlier this month. It was still awesome though.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #130
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleventhEye View Post

Jambi, Stinkfist, 46&2, Schism, Lost Keys, Rosetta Stoned, sweet interlude with Intension, Right in Two, Wings & 10,000 Days, Lateralus with AMAZING drum solo/duet with drummer from Big Business, and Vicarious

I thought the show was absolutely phenomenal, I had a great view of the band and my ears are still ringing- hope everyone else feels the same.

I was 112 row L. Great seats, Maynard looked our way the entire show.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 AM   #131
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleventhEye View Post

Setlist seems right to me, I was in section 140 row Q and had an amazing view of both band and lasers/ screen graphics, detinitely the best show I've been to. I didn't really hear any sound problems at all from my seats.

All in all, a great show, my parents loved it too Dad 50, Mom 52! I love my parents when they heard I was seeing Tool they had to come too, they are both huge fans as well.

-E
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #132
Level 4 - Thinker

Section 110. Best seats I've ever had to any event. The music was awesome but I couldn't hear Maynard for shit either. Big Business drummer was off the hook. I wanna get that version of lateralus.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #133
Level 3 - Talker

Anyone know what Maynard said exactly during the show? when music wasn't playing the assholes behind were talking at top volume, I know he said something about us being louder than Chicago, and something about "bastards" when they first came out.

-E
Old 06-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #134
Banned.

I had floor seats right next to the barrier. I was directly in front of Adam. The only problem with the show is that you can't hear Maynard. It's not that that's all I want to hear, far from it, but you literally could not hear 80% of what he was singing. Since Tool has one of the most awesome live shows ever, I assume this lack of vocal volume is not an accident. I still had a great time at the show; The energy was amazing, the crowd was very good, and the band seemed to really be enjoying it all. Still, I paid for the entire Tool experience, not 3/4 of it.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #135
Level 4 - Thinker

maynard was talking about an iphone for a second during the show.... something about a new one coming out in a couple months that it would make coffee, then "Oh, I forgot you guys were still here"..... also some shit about how chicago was louder, but then he said that they were snooring louder, lol.... he was more talkative than usual it seemed... also the billboards that kept coming on fuckin pissed me off.... thats bullshit when an arena cant even keep control of there fucking lights while a band is playing... overall great performance, sound was okay except for the vocals.... the estlist above is correct...

Danny Carey is a fucking machine
Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #136
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbeyonddriven04 View Post
And the band opening tonight is Big Business, they...umm...suck.

-E

You are crazy
Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #137
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Setlist seems right to me, I was in section 140 row Q and had an amazing view of both band and lasers/ screen graphics, detinitely the best show I've been to. I didn't really hear any sound problems at all from my seats.

All in all, a great show, my parents loved it too Dad 50, Mom 52! I love my parents when they heard I was seeing Tool they had to come too, they are both huge fans as well.

-E
sounds like my mom and pop, they love tool as much as me, and seeing the last 9 shows and seeing the rest until the break, makes this home school thing even more neato, seemed funny when the power in some sections went out, over all, another great show, to my parents and me, the setlist has nothing to do with any of the shows, my mom crys when wings is played, my dad gets down when they open with jambi, a good opener, kinda lets you know what you're in store for, like kick butt sound, but it's really cool you shared what you see and feel with you're parents, something you'll probably never forget, i know i wont, but ohio rocked, and fans were very nice, and showed respect, as far as fans they have been nice since the sunrise fla. show 7/1/07, a few still throw things, but people are being nicer, good job ohio, great job tool
Old 06-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #138
Banned.

Ahhh yes, Big Business, they are very bad. I wish I had that 30 minutes of my life back.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #139
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMOUSE View Post
sounds like my mom and pop, they love tool as much as me, and seeing the last 9 shows and seeing the rest until the break, makes this home school thing even more neato, seemed funny when the power in some sections went out, over all, another great show, to my parents and me, the setlist has nothing to do with any of the shows, my mom crys when wings is played, my dad gets down when they open with jambi, a good opener, kinda lets you know what you're in store for, like kick butt sound, but it's really cool you shared what you see and feel with you're parents, something you'll probably never forget, i know i wont, but ohio rocked, and fans were very nice, and showed respect, as far as fans they have been nice since the sunrise fla. show 7/1/07, a few still throw things, but people are being nicer, good job ohio, great job tool

Hey, where were your seats? there was a lady in front of me crying during "wings"

-E
Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #140
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse.cantrall View Post
I had floor seats right next to the barrier. I was directly in front of Adam. The only problem with the show is that you can't hear Maynard. It's not that that's all I want to hear, far from it, but you literally could not hear 80% of what he was singing. Since Tool has one of the most awesome live shows ever, I assume this lack of vocal volume is not an accident. I still had a great time at the show; The energy was amazing, the crowd was very good, and the band seemed to really be enjoying it all. Still, I paid for the entire Tool experience, not 3/4 of it.
They don't make Maynard hard to hear on purpose. Some arenas just have shittier sound than others. And it's hard for the audio techs to get the mix perfect at every show. At both the shows I have been at this tour, the sound was GREAT. Could hear Maynard the whole time. I have noticed that this lack of vocal volume has been a common complaint on this tour. It's sort of hit and miss depending on where you see them. I guess I have just been lucky.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #141
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

-E
That's awesome that your parents went with you. My parents didn't even know who Tool was when I told them I was going to see them. They're more into classic rock. But it would be cool as hell to take them to see Tool sometime. Maybe next tour (assuming of course there is another one).

Also thanks to EleventhEye for the setlist. I haven't seen Right in Two live yet. Got my fingers crossed that they'll play it at Summerfest.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #142
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

I don't think it was the arena that made the band sound bad...I saw Pearl Jam in the same arena last year, in fact oddly enough I sat in almost the same seat for Tool as I did for Pearl Jam....anyway, Pearl Jam sounded awesome in there so I am not sure what happened with Tool's sound. I have never been more disappointed in a concert before. The sound was awful and we got the same damn generic setlist they play every goddamn night. I doubt I will ever waste my money on seeing them live again if they can't even throw us a bone and mix up the set a bit more than they currently do.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
Old 06-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #143
Level 4 - Thinker

Personally I enjoyed this show much more than the Columbus show at Nationwide. The band played almost a full two hour set last night- Maynard sounded spot-on, really amazing considering the criticism he's been getting lately. The biggest differences were the seats (at Nationwide I was so high up clouds were starting to form)-and the energy at the show. I had a great view and I could see how much the band was enjoying themselves- Danny had this huge grin on his face during the entire drum solo. You could see Justin trying to get himself ready to play Wings, flexing his hands and mentally preparing himself. Also he was drinking a beer during a few songs (I think rolling rock?) and really getting into the music, especially the feedback solo during Lost Keys. The only thing Nationwide had was a much better stage and light show.

Didn't see this part mentioned: during the drum solo Maynard shot out a few hundred yards of toilet paper like a streamer- I think he said after Danny was done it was for everyone who just shit their pants =)
Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #144
Level 4 - Thinker

They should have played Jimmy before Wings Pt. 1 for several reasons.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #145
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

managed to get a pic of the tour bus from my camera phone...didnt stay long enough to see them come out of the arena though, was too fuckin tired...

http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?...122_1091lo.jpg
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 06-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #146
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure As We Begin View Post
They should have played Jimmy before Wings Pt. 1 for several reasons.

Just my opinion.
"jimmy" does fit in with "Wings" in the sense that "jimmy" talks about when Maynard's mother was paralyzed and she was no longer able to protect him and be there for him physically. "Wings" is more of a eulogy (no pun intended) for his mother comparing her to an angel. It fits in terms of telling the story of his mother's paralysis to her death approximately 10,000 days later but they really don't go together that well in terms of the overall content. Maynard also stated in several 1996/97 shows that "jimmy" was a sequel to "Prison Sex". "Prison Sex" was about identifying the cycle of abuse within one's self and "jimmy" was about working through it by moving on and finding one's way "back home". That said, I'd still like to hear "jimmy" but doubt it will ever see the light of day again.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #147
Level 4 - Thinker

I made a playlist a while back with that theme in mind, using some APC songs as well since they deal with the same subject matter. Prison Sex, Bottom, Judith, Orestes, Jimmy, Wings, 10kdays. I would like to have heard Jimmy before Wings/10KDays also, but Intension and Right in Two really brought some gravity and set the mood before they started on 10,000 Days
Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #148
Level 8 - Vociferous

It's somewhat interesting to note that if they were to play "jimmy" (which is VERY unlikely) it would probably be put in the "Right In Two", "Flood", "Pushit" spot which happens to fall directly behind "Wings for Marie". Again, seeing as how "jimmy" was only played about 30-40 times since 1996 I STRONGLY doubt they will play it this tour. If they do I will make a point to shit myself in a public setting.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #149
got poopy? (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 7

I know its Ohio & all, but if you get Jimmy I will shit myself in public as well. There's not a chance in hell unless they've been sound checking it that is....can anyone confirm?

:)
Old 06-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #150
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthruput View Post
I know its Ohio & all, but if you get Jimmy I will shit myself in public as well. There's not a chance in hell unless they've been sound checking it that is....can anyone confirm?
Haha, I like how your title is "got poopy". That's appropriate considering my post.

There have been no accurate reports of "jimmy" being soundchecked and no recent ones. Though that doesn't mean they won't pull it out at the last minute like they did "Flood" in Greenville, SC.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 AM   #151
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I'm sick that they played "Right In Two" at the Cincy show. I have seen them 14 times, and it's the only song I haven't seen them play live. I live in Columbus, and was dying to go, but am broke after Bonnaroo!!
5/15/94--Cleveland, OH ; 11/15/96--Columbus, OH; 3/3/97--Dayton, OH; 7/20/97--Columbus, OH; 7/21/98--Columbus, OH; 5/18/01--Detroit, MI; 9/12/01--Dayton, OH(cancelled); 9/14/01--Columbus, OH; 8/31/02--Cincinnati, OH; 10/23/02--Toledo, OH; 9/21/06--Columbus, OH; 9/22/06--Detroit, MI; 9/25/06--Cleveland, OH; 6/15/07--Manchester, TN; 8/7/09--Cincinnati, OH; 1/24/2012--Toledo, OH; 6/5/2017--Pittsburgh, PA
Old 07-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #152
Level 1 - Lurker

I saw them at the US BANK Aerna and I will agree, that you could not barely hear Maynard at all. My friend and I was on the flood, very front, leaning on the barrier (NO ONE INFRONT OF US) and could not hear Maynard, which is sad. I've never seen Tool before, but did see APC twice and both times he was simply amazing.

Still, it seemed the band had fun with it. During that drum "duet", Maynard stood there looking back and forth and having a blast with it. Then there was the toilet paper streamer and even the band having a huge group hug at the end of the show. Overall amazing show, just wish I had money and time to see them again, maybe the sound quality would be a tad better.

Oh and Big Business does not suck. They're not great, but they certainly don't suck, if for no other reason than the fact their drummer kicks total ass.

Hey - did anyone else see the big fight over one of the drum kit pieces after the show? I was right next to it. Some 120lb guy was trying to take some some 300lb guy. Ended up being a huge fiasco .

P.S - Right In Two live is simply amazing.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #153
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInClip View Post
I
Oh and Big Business does not suck. They're not great, but they certainly don't suck, if for no other reason than the fact their drummer kicks total ass.
The drummer was the only good thing about them, that band just NEEDS a vocalist, the current one sounds like he ate sandpaper and glass for breakfast.

-E
Old 07-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #154
Level 7 - Loquacious

I thought it was an awesome show. I agree, you couldn't hear Maynard most of the time, but that didn't really bother me. What pissed me off was the idiots at the show. I was in section 130 row H seat 1 and there was a few people that were way too drunk trying to go up and down the stairs. Also, there was a group of 10 people (looked like a whole family) that came in an hour and fifteen minutes late and had an argument about the seats with with the people in the row directly in front of me. They ruined half of Right In Two for a bunch of people. Who pays $645 for a concert and arrives an hour and fifteen minutes late?

Maynard was very talkative. I couldn't hear most of what he said but he did do the "round on the outside and high in the middle" Ohio joke. There was the toilet paper thing. That was funny. Also, I didn't see anybody mention that after Right In Two and before Wings For Marie (when they were setting up for Big Bussiness' drummer to jam with Danny during Lateralus) Justin held up two lighters the entire intermission. The whole arena was lit up with lighters and then Adam blew out Justin's flames.

Other than stupid people and poor vocals, the show was awesome.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #155
Level 1 - Lurker

Yeah, I forgot about the lighter thing. My friend used his lighter and security had a fit, until they looked around and saw the whole arena was lit up, at that point they just shook their head and said fuck it.

Great show. I wish I would of known that they was playing in Y-Town today, I would of just stayed over and went to that show also.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #156
Level 4 - Thinker

It was cool that people who didn't have lighters with them lifted up their cell phones- kind of cheesy sounding, but it really made the arena look cool with gold and silver lights everywhere. People were still taking flash pictures during Wings which kind of pissed me off, but I think most people were respectful
Old 07-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #157
Level 7 - Loquacious

Assholes are everywhere... Nothing you can do but bitch about it I guess.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #158
Level 1 - Lurker

My girl and I waited in line for the floor for almost 6 hours, we got all the way against the rail right in front of Adam. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I have seen TOOL 6 times and have been listening to them for over 12 years, and this was just so different standing 10 feet from my heros. It was almost a religious experience in a sense. I will never forget that night.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: