opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 08-01-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
This is the lateralus

It is actually short for "vastus lateralus", a muscle in the femur portion of the leg. It's signifigance to me is still undiscovered, but DC gave a hint once when he said, "try walking without it".
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:03 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15
It's located on the outside of your thigh, if I remember correctly.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:10 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

The vastus lateralis (spelled with an "I") is located on the anterior lateral (front-outside) side of the upper leg. It is one of the muscles commonly referred to as the "quadriceps." While Danny may have said "try walking without it," I don't know if he actually meant to infer the meaning of the title to this or not. Personally, I see little connection between a leg muscle and the song--plus it isn't spelled correctly, and "lateralis" isn't an accepted truncation of "vastus lateralis."

Everyone should read the Lateralus thread about the Fibonacci sequence. It may shed new light on the song for you.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:32 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1
Re: This is the lateralus

Well TOOL always change the spelling of lots of their songs like Parabol which i believe is meant to be Parable.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

lateralus

i think tool in general just be unspecific, to try and help u think and open ur third eye, im not complaing either it realy adds to the ass kiking factor, i think the lateralus album is all about spirtuality its all connected in some way
Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 PM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
its a joke about what?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstajduh
I'm not telling.. you won't get the joke.. kind of stupid one at that... proverbially speaking of course ;-)
Come on man ye cant leave it like that . hold on does anyone one else smell that?
Old 09-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718
...as opposed to vastus medius, or vastus intermedius...they are merely directional terms...medial, lateral, proximal, distal, anterior, posterior...

Lateralus is pertaining to being on the outer perimeter of...something...
Old 09-09-2003, 07:48 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrl
...as opposed to vastus medius, or vastus intermedius...they are merely directional terms...medial, lateral, proximal, distal, anterior, posterior...

Lateralus is pertaining to being on the outer perimeter of...something...
In and out, in and out......

myspace.com/skoi | waxdj.com/skoisirius
Old 03-24-2004, 06:15 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9
UIC skeet skeet skeet skeet over 6'3"

it's funny i stumble upon this. when i shook danny carey's hand when he came out for autographs in moline, and i told him, "hey man, sometimes my lateralus hurts," just to see if i could get some kind arousal out of him, because truth is, i've acquired in the past 4 years an ache very near and outwards to my bone on my ass on my right leg a dull ache that will make it quiver sometimes, sometimes even stretching down to my gastronomicus(sp?). In my life drawing class at school there was a muscular diagram that pointed right to the muscle south of the origin, and read 'vastus lateralis' and i thought, oh gee, what another coincidence! hardy har har.
yeah, it quivers right now, as I type dis sheit. when i sit down in a chair fo too long, which is kind of what i do, at a computer or drawing table, the pain increases, maybe it's inner stress, and yet if i get into what it is im doing, the pain takes second shelf to what im doing, so it kind of drifts away. there's been times where, if i feel like im really rolling in making something, it disappears completely. when i stop doing it and take a break, it comes back even more intense. it fades into sleep and will come back if i brace myself in a chair the next day, or if i drive a car more than 30 minutes. that's a bitch. i used to deliver pizzas when i had it. at first. anyway, relation:

overthinking over analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

my body is a little tense. i need a back adjustment.

i need to find out what the fuck is going on with this music in relation to my life. because...fuck me. i've tried. it was dire enough, and then he told me something's going to die. what a fuckin dick. save me the suspense.

I don't seem to care, to cherish my pet, but i groom itever so slightly, and when you come to town i get ansy, thinking of you and pondering...how could it go down?

Post It: i don't shit on hear nearly as often these days, but hint to the wise, i might be takin a mini to the karaoke machine in the near future.

the fibonacci sequence has many pertininces in beauty and growth and arrangements in nature and beautiful arrangements made by man with knowledge of it, it's golden ratio, and it's spiraling attributes.
the golden section, or the divine proportion exists in between each successive number in the fibonacci sequence. the first 6 #s pertain to this.
observe the first 8 lines of lateralus, taking in note syllables per line.

black 1
then 1
white are 2
all i see 3
in my infancy 5
red and yellow then came to me 8
reaching out to me 5
lets me see 3

and then there's the thing about almost calling the album 987, which danny said they discovered post-hence was the 16th number of the sequence. also the change in measure through the song.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:11 PM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstajduh
I'm not telling.. you won't get the joke.. kind of stupid one at that... proverbially speaking of course ;-)
oh.....that joke.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:17 AM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 2930

i dont get the joke....
Old 03-25-2004, 02:47 AM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by munted_soul
i dont get the joke....

I think that's because you're stupid.

Yeah. It is.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:34 PM   #14

Bincount™: 12

The reason they make so much mystery to their songs and make them so vague is so that people will focus on the music, which is what they've wanted all along. I've heard that Lateralus is actually some kind of chemical combination, is that true?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:37 PM   #15
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcM_Emperor
I've heard that Lateralus is actually some kind of chemical combination, is that true?

I don't know, why don't you tell us your interpretation of lateralus?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:57 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

now i remember why i stopped posting here. it's utterly disappointing.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:59 AM   #18

I personally believe that Lateralus was written by Maynard to really just inspire lateral thinking. The lyrics are so vague, I think it's basically just about opening your third eye and bringing people to a new plain of conciousness. Tool are pioneers of bringing the average person to more complex thinking. Also as you know the fibbonoci(sp?) sequence is woven into the song. The brain responds to patterns like the fibbonoci sequence more noticeably then simple patterns like beats.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
The brain responds to patterns like the fibbonoci sequence more noticeably then simple patterns like beats.

is that scientifically proven?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
There's no proof for any of these theories. You only think of it because you wanna think life is more complex/different then it actually is. Life is way more simple then all you third eye freaks wanna think.

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but this is the truth. Everyone wishes that life was more magical/complex then we currently know, but it's not.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone007
is that scientifically proven?
I'm not sure but I found this:
However the brain processes the sounds, music is universal. No matter what the culture, music plays a part. Also similarly, musical notes are grouped into octaves the world over. And the mathematical connection to music doesn’t stop with octaves. Musical scales come in groups of five, eight, and 13, which also happen to be Fibonacci numbers,

Does this help at all?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow cool! So what does Lateralus have to do with anything???
With my feet upon the ground I move myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in I feel it move across my skin I'm reaching up and reaching out I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me....
Old 06-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow cool! So what does Lateralus have to do with anything??? I mean did they decide to deal with the lateral, lateralus stuff???
With my feet upon the ground I move myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in I feel it move across my skin I'm reaching up and reaching out I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me....
Old 06-06-2004, 06:02 PM   #24

Lateralus, or Lateralis is latin for... to side of, or on the side. mind you latin is archaic and thus there are little no translators that I have been able to find oline, but I did take Latin is high school for 3 years and looked up the word when the album came out. there you all go, question answered, problem solved.=)
Then your mouth
Old 07-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #25

corps d'allumen that was referring to your theory that everyone is one mind. That's a lot different then something that's actually possible to achieve with the human brain, think before you post.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

My opinion is..............no one on this site will ever figure out what any of Tool's songs actually mean, without getting the truthful answers from the band. Tool write about things so much deeper and darker than any Tool fan could begin to FATHOM. When people actually discover what they mean, they're not going to blat it right out on some website either - that would kill the mystery they hold. Although it is nice to hear what these songs mean to other people, some people taking their opinions a little too seriously, though this is only one more person's OPINION..........
Old 09-04-2004, 01:24 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

I agree to cultus, they write what they write about, and we listen to the way we want to listen.

But its also good to see what other people think, opening up your mind more :P
Old 09-04-2004, 07:35 AM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

yeah...

maybe lateralus is complex but most of the songs arent
theyre very self-explanitory

now of course there might be a refernance here and there to something, but i think most of the songs have MAIN points

ex: parabola>.apreciate life
the grudge> dont hold a grudge its notr worth it

i think you get it.

but yeah its pretty fun to discuss what other people think of what a song means rather than ^the main points

for example, someone posted something about La~te~ra~lus being chemicals, i would have never even thought of that if they hadnt brought it up. now granted i dont agree with it, it was still a very creative thought, and it was interesting how they could make references to the cd and certain words, and certain chemicals and shiiiiiiit

good times ^_^

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: