opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 06. Swamp Song
User Name
Password
Old 04-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #1
X

Bincount™: 746
Since nobody else is posting here, you can read my shit

Mark D style interpretation.

My warning meant nothing.
You're dancing in quicksand.

* You know how if you get stuck in quicksand, you are just supposed to lie flat and not move if possible? That is a warning. Maynard warned someone and that person is doing the exact opposite of the warning. Instead of floating, the person is dancing.

Why don't you watch where you're wandering?
Why don't you watch where you're stumbling?

* Just a suggestion this time, not a warning.

You're wading knee deep and going in.
And you may never come back again.

* If you dont listen to a warning then you shouldnt be surprised when something bad happens. Defiantly, the person who is going against Maynard's warning goes against the warning.

This bog is thick and easy to get lost in
when you're a stupid,dumb ass, beligerant fucker.

* It can be very simple to do something if you listen to other people. This "beligerant fucker" gets lost in the bog because he doesnt listen.

I hope it sucks you down.

* You dont want to listen to my warnings? Thats too bad. I dont care what happens to you now.

Wander in and wandering.
Noone even invited you in.
But still you stumble in stumbling.
So suffocate
or get out while you can.

* The "beligerant fucker" keeps doing what he shouldnt. He keeps taking shit for what he does but he still tries.

Noone told you to come.

I hope it sucks you down.

* Again, Maynard tells of how the "beligerant fucker" refuses to listen, so he might as well get whats coming to him.

To me this song is about protest. I am unsure as to what the bog symbolizes. Any ideas?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:35 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
good shit.

im thinking alone the same idea maby..
some one did some thing to them.
maby they did some thing

maby its god getting pissed off coz we fucked every thing up
maby its greedy people or some thing

way to open barreled

anger song!!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:27 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

ok man..i really have to stop posting after you dont i?
what if maynard just got himself in that "who the fuck invited you?" feeling and wrote the song?it doesnt realy have to have a deeper meanig..in some ways,this is a great ,easy going, song..no need to think of it too much right?the swamp could really be anyrhing..

btw nice work Mark,not everyone takes the time to do that
Old 05-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

The Bog's signifigance

I used some of your ideas, but I'm going to make another thread because I interpret it a whole different way.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #5
X

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrenalin

what if maynard just got himself in that "who the fuck invited you?"
btw nice work Mark,not everyone takes the time to do that
I like how you put it in a view that Maynard may have seen it through. And this has been my second time posting this idea. The first time I didnt get many responses, so I changed it a little bit and re-posted it.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:27 AM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

well it IS a very good post...

and it really felt that mj was saying ''get the fuck off my property you SOAB''to somebody.....id want to back it up with the fact that undertow didnt feel like such a deep-hidden-meaning-for-a-thorought-search album...am i wrong?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:48 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Thanks

Hey Mark D, I have to really thank you, see I'm doing a research project for my english class, and I chose to do it on the lyrics of Metallica and Tool. Your interpretation really helped. And don't worry - I didn't plagiarise any of your words, but I did use them to help me get my own. Once again, thanks.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:56 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Anguish with Self Decipiline

I think the song is about dealing with a part of you that is impulsive and irresponsible. A part that doesn't want to grow and understand the more important things in life or doing the math as mentioned in parabola. A person who is almost giving in to life passing them by, which I think is the true meaning of quicksand.

I don't know anything else.

Thank you
Old 05-25-2003, 11:56 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123
No. This song is about Tool's music.
"a mass of gallon sloth, as flys have walls for feet, a rapturous-verbatim-someone said but who's to know, and when you find the fringe, the one last hit that spent you, you'll find the ossuary is spilling by the day"
Old 05-26-2003, 08:24 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Since nobody else is posting here, you can read my shit

I thought the bog in this song represented drug abuse (as opposed to useing drugs constructively) which would go along with the idea of Undertow, which I also belive is a song about drug abuse. I thought in Swamp Song he was saying people who misuse drugs and get sucked into addication deserve what they get. I thought the angry tone of the song might come from people who do stupid things on drugs makeing the rest of drug users out there look bad (which is a common theme in Bill Hicks' stand up comedy/commentary 'young man on acid jumps out window belives he could fly'), Maynard is also an admitting shroom taker. But, I dont even know if the band was listening to any Bill Hicks when undertow came out. Thats the way I interrpreted it.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:22 PM   #11
X

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by looT
Hey Mark D, I have to really thank you, see I'm doing a research project for my english class, and I chose to do it on the lyrics of Metallica and Tool. Your interpretation really helped. And don't worry - I didn't plagiarise any of your words, but I did use them to help me get my own. Once again, thanks.

No problem. Im glad some people actually read my post.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #12
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 773
I think you guys are on the right track. I really have no clue what the lyrics mean. I just listened to this song again about a week ago. I used to not like it, but now it's my current favorite off of Undertow. I don't know what it is. I think it's that little interlude part that ends with the "why don't you get out while you can?!?!" That part just kicks my ass. It's also a tight bass riff at the begining. I'm kind of rambling, this is off topic. Slap me.

Good job guys.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: