opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 08-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/05 - San Diego, CA - Street Scene '06

Where did all the posts on this thread go, looks like 10+ were removed.

I was at the show, on the left side of the stage close to the front with a perfect view of the entire band.

There was no pushing and no moshing over on my side, I was there because some of the girls in my group had to use the bathroom and the toilets were over on the left. The parking lot was on an incline there so that was an added bonus.

I was amazed to hear Maynard address the crowd during the end of The Pot to tell people to back up.

Great show, but short and the setlist is now getting old since I've seen them a few times this year. Like most, I'm hoping the Arena tour will feature a longer and more diverse setlist, this one is pretty much Tool's greatest singles which might be what we just need to get used to.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Boo long trolley lines...Hooray Tool!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Well, I have to say that TOOL was awesome. Beside that fact that the assholes I was with made me leave during Sober so we didnt have to "wait forever on the trolly". Waaaahhhh. I was pissed, tempted to stay by myself and meet back with them downtown but they wouldnt let me. The main reason I went was to see TOOl and they ripped me away from them. I shall seek some sort of revenge in the near or distant future. Havent decided yet. Im over it though. I still smell the BO from the people around me. I wasnt near the stage so I didnt have to deal with lame asses trying to overcompensate for their small penises. But that kinda thing happens I guess when you take an amazing band and have them play for manly 14-19 yr olds. Me being damn near 30 I was grandma rocking out to 46&2. Oh well, I will try and catch the 2nd show on the 8th at Staples Center in the heart of LA. Hmmmm....not sure what crowd can be worse. But festival crows have more in their systems besides beer, funnel cakes and taquitos. To quote a guy I met on Friday down there, "I'm on so much shit right now, I dont even remember where the hell I am".

Thats hot.

Until the 8th....

"This agression will not stand, man. "
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11
(and possible loss of song in the setlist).

We definitely lost a song because of the asshats who decided they needed to be up front even though they just rolled up from one of the other stages. You guys are really cool! I stay at the back where the sound booth is for these big open air events for several reasons 1) The sound is better back there, 2) I am able to see all of the visuals that Tool is known for, 3) I have my back to a wall of sorts so when the crush comes it's easier to stay rooted to your spot. I know people like to get up close to see the band's faces. But with Tool I think that is way over-rated. That said, I'm sorry for you folks who got crushed. It shouldn't happen.

Anyway, my guess is we lost Right In Two. Coachella was actually one song longer than the Street Scene list (The Patient). During soundcheck I heard them crack the high conga drum a few times Danny uses during that song (second verse). Hate to think that was the case. But still a great show. They were much tighter here than Coachella.

One other thing- the visuals for the 10k songs were new. One of the cool things about Jambi was the flaming orange visual they had going towards the end of it. Excellent stuff!
The lost song was Opiate. I saw a set list after the show...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #45

Great band. Ridiculous crowd. I felt like this set was more of a chore for the band. Of course they're great and are always going to deliver. But judging from the setlist, Maynard's comments and basically the fact that nothing has changed (Some thought this would be the beginning of the new tour. You know, take off that fuckin cowboy hat, play something off undertow besides Sober...) it seemed like they were ready to get it over with. The sound was huge and on point. Lateralus particularly sounded good to me. They are my favorite band, I enjoyed the show. But this was not a TOOL show. Jesus Fucking Christ, how can you mosh during an ambient interlude??! It was as if any loud sound triggered a weird reflex in these jocks, telling them that it was time rub themselves up against yet MORE sweaty dudes. I mean it was a sad sight. And to actually be a part of that sad sight... Let's just say that was my first and last Street Scence. And let's hope that the person in critical condition pulls through.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky
The lost song was Opiate. I saw a set list after the show...
NOOOOOO!!!! Terrible. The best live song.

I wrote this email to the Union Tribune and the San Diego Fire Department today. (Sorry if it's too long mods.) Then I ended up in this article.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060808-1240-bn08street.html

And to the person directly above me. You know not what you speak of.

Hello,

I was in the "pit" at Tool/Street Scene and I would like to clarify some serious misconceptions. What happened during the 2nd song of the set was not a result of a "mosh pit." Not at all. It was the opposite in fact.

A mosh pit is what happens when a number of people start pushing the people around them and the crowd disperses creating an open space or a "pit" in the crowd. The people who began pushing then run around in this newly opened area in the crowd and "mosh." (I'll say "dance" loosely.) Open space is required for a mosh pit to exist. This point is key.

The situation at Tool was very very different. As I said, it was the opposite. What happened was not a result of a few people attempting to "mosh" in the front, it was a result of massive pushing and, in my opinion, the slope of the Qualcomm parking lot. The key here is moshing is avoidable and people who get hurt do so because they chose to enter the mosh pit. (usually.)

Remember the layout of the stage. The stage itself was facing west while the crowd faced east. The left side of the stage was on higher ground than the right side due to the slope of the parking lot. Also remember the left side of the stage had part of the stage sticking out that previously had the camera mounted there for the other acts. This camera was taken down for Tool. But consider how the front railing was not flat, it had that part sticking out with the angle pushing down the hill, almost like a funnel.

I was standing about 10 feet from the stage on the left side, the higher ground, near the part of the railing that "stuck out." During the opening song there was the typical pushing, nothing out of the ordinary. When the 2nd song came on, though, the pushing became very bad. When pushing happens in a crowd like this one has to just go with the flow. They need to walk with the crowd. Right after the pushing got real bad I found myself on the right side of the stage further down the hill. During this time people were getting very scared and upset. There was no where for anyone to go and people were getting squished standing up. Anyone who was short or smaller was in a very bad situation. I am 6'5" and 220 pounds myself, and have been in many front row concert situations, and this was by far the worst pushing ever. I was having a difficult time; people who were 5'5" were in very bad shape. (at one point I had to stand on the tips of my toes and look up to breath fresh air, at 6'5".)

This pushing happened for a few minutes and people were very scared. Some people were "crowd surfing" to the front barrier so security would pull them out. There were many girls and smaller people at this point who were not having a good time. There was a lot of crying and screaming. And the worst was yet to come. At this point a group of people fell down. Think about the physics of this for a moment. Imagine the people as upside down bowling pins. When everyone is standing up the pressure of the crowd is on our torsos. Our legs are just there to hold us up and move around. Once this group of people fell down there was no longer any pressure on people's torsos on the edges of where they fell. And since there was still plenty of pressure from the pushing, people on the edges fell on top of the people who fell down. Then more pressure was released and more people fell "into" this mess. It caused a sort of chain reaction. And the effect was almost like a flower blooming backwards. This is when things got very serious and when people got hurt. People were attempting to help people up but they were being pushed. People were extremely scared at this point. People were being crushed under the people who were falling on top of them.

I fell in this "hole" as well. When I did I was kinda sitting on a guy who was lying flat on his back on the ground. Then someone fell on my legs so I was unable to get up. It took two people behind me to pull me up from my arms before we could get the other people up. During the time I was on the ground I was very close to the people who had fallen. There were many people on the ground curled in a fetal position trying to survive.

It was around this time that Tool stopped and told everyone to take a step back and Maynard asked for some light in the front. (which he never got.) At this point there was a lot of security and police/fire officials on the other side of the barrier pulling people out. Maynard continued to ask people to step back and they waited the 10 minutes or so for people to step back. After I stepped back I was now about 40-50 feet from the stage.

Remember I had brought up the slope of the parking lot. The spot that everyone fell was the lowest point of the parking lot in front of the stage. Everyone in the front area was already in front so they weren't pushing except backwards. The 10,000 people behind us, though, wanted to be closer, and they were pushing forward. And they had the advantage of higher ground. It was like tug of war but backwards. The people in the front never had a chance between the number of people and the slope of the parking lot. Even the left side of the stage that was sticking out put us at a disadvantage as it created the funnel effect and there were "that many" less people able to help absorb the pushing. (meaning if the barrier was flat there would have been more people standing there and people in the back would have been pushing against a flat surface.)

Please, stop referring to this as a mosh pit. This was not a most pit. This also does not "come with the territory" as one person being interviewed said. This situation, in my opinion, was created by a few key things. First, the alcohol. Many of the people who did end up moshing when the show continued was the drunkards who had been at Street Scene all day and only wanted to beat people up regardless of who the "rock" band was at the end. The other aspect was the angle of the parking lot and the design of the stage. And of course the people pushing. But, the thing about the pushing. I have been to much "rougher" concerts and been in the front and I have never experienced something like this. There was a moment when I was scared for my life and there were minutes when I was scared for the lives of the people around me. And as I said, I'm a big guy. I can handle myself in situations like this but this was even too much for me. I now understand how people die in these situations.

I lost both of my shoes, my cell phone, and my sunglasses in this mess. This situation ruined the show for me afterwards as I stood there in my socks. I know Tool was unhappy with the situation as well. This is not the type of scene that happens at a Tool concert. (this was my 5th Tool concert.) Tool's music may be loud but it is anything from violent or "condoning" of this type of activity. I believe Maynard's comments during this whole time showed this. At the Tool show at Cox Arena in 2002 people didn't even mosh; they just stood there in awe listening to the music. (I was on the floor of that show as well.)

I read in the article today that city officials will be meeting about this situation. I would love for them to have this information and know about the slope situation and how uneven footing played a role in this.

If anyone would like to contact me for additional details or questions, my phone number is ...

Thank you, and again, please stop calling this a mosh pit. =] Unfortunately I don't know what the name for this is. The crowd was imploding from the pressure.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

i was also right up front in which i had to wait for about four hours. i was right where justin was on stage, but had to live at the end of yeah yeah yeahs cause of the crowd. im glad i did cause i prolly would have been one of the ones that got hurt. to top it off i went to the back only to be stood by a drunk guy smoking a nasty cigarette. overall good show lateralus and jambi were excellent and the extended versions were a nice treat, thank you. also i would like send out a nice thank you to all the drunk druggies in attendance who forced me out of a good seat. total disregard for human life. sorry to everyone who got hurt or who's phenomenol experience got turned to a traumatic one.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #48
Level 3 - Talker

also thank you to all the security who helped me out and everyone else
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Stratos, excellent post and good job writing the letter to the tribune and the FD...hopefully they will listen. I think the main problem was the slope....fucking stupid whoever decided to put the crowd like that. I was about 3 rows from front center and thank god I left before Tool took the stage, there were people passing out during the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, it was a cluster fuck and I knew it was going to get worse...thankfully I managed to get about 30 rows back where it was much more chill and I was able to enjoy the show on my feet.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

The slope was the problem. When I went to the stage the first thing I did was go to the high (left) side because it was a better view. When Tool came on I made my way to the front (after a little mosh session). As the show went on, I noticed I was already on the right side of the stage due to the slope. Everytime a "push rush" would happen, it seemed to be coming from the left (high) side. Personally, I didn't see anyone in real trouble. But I was focused on the show and just keeping my feet under me. I did help some people up but everyone around me seemed to be fine. Considering all the shows I've gone to that are GA, this was nothing. I could get out anytime I wanted. I guess there is no substitute for experience. TOOL IS FUCKING AWESOME LIVE!!!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

I'll haveto say that my experience was fairly tame compared to those who got trampled.? WTF?? I was about 40yards back in the middle and had an incredible time. Right when I got to my spot and noticed a huge surge towards the front , right.. almost like a current that takes you and your stuck.. To the one guy who gave that very detailed account..Way to go..Thats what it felt like I guess-- a Funnel. What the hell was our Local News Team Nerds doing saying it was from the moshing.. These reporters must be total nerds and never have attended a concert.. People getting hurt because of moshing is kind of like the sun coming up..very predictable..

After checking out the previous set lists from earlier shows I thought they might pull out some "Third Eye" or how about even "Undertow"?? I love that song.. I love Tool and anything they play is rad.. I just hate to sound like a freakin Dead Head and be too critical of my favorite band. Anytime they play Stinkist and feel like I am havin a freakin orgasm..and Lateralus was the highligts of the night.. and of course Maynard made my Freakin night..

Can I get a Hallelujah? -Maynard
Hallelujah - Crowd
Can I get an Amen?-Maynard
Amen - Crowd
Can I get a Jesus Fucking Christ? Maynard
Allah is a fucking ***got - ME
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-09-2006, 02:25 AM   #52
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva4253
also thank you to all the security who helped me out and everyone else
Amen, brother. They were some cool dudes.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #53
Level 3 - Talker

Was at a 7eleven the next day in PB and was talking with a Police Officer who worked Street Scene both nights and he said that this was the worst one ever. Then he looks me in the eyes and asks why the girls nowadays are worse than guys. To quote "they drink the most, handle it the least and spend the least amount of money". So I responded, "who were these broads hanging out with because I spend like 300 bucks on Heineken Light alone". Luckily he had a sense of humor.

One positive thing ,actually the only one, on leaving while Tool was still on stage was the Porta potty stand off while walking to the trolly.
How many coppers does it take to pull a little guy out of one???? Hmmm....I think it was aroung 6 or 7. "move along theres nothing to see here". HAAAAAA! Funny shit. Thank god for camera phones.

"This agression will not stand, man. "
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

I Agree. The band was tight and Maynard was amazing. The crowd were bunch of retarteds assholes with a borderline IQ. During the first two songs I could not even enjoy the music, instead I was busy protecting my poor girlfriend who had a panic attack because of dumb assess who were pushing people for no reasons and she feared her life. If Maynard did not intervene I think we would have lots of causalities. I wish tool just played some of their slower songs such as 10000 days to piss off all of these metal head. I always thought tool fan as bunch of intellect until this sat. One more thing, if you are 300 pound fat fuck with a shave head and sweaty face you should not really crowd surf. But what is point of talking you are probably too fucking stupid to read and comprehend.
Again I really like the performance and the music especially sober.

Last edited by darkside; 08-09-2006 at 11:18 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

I arrived at the TOOL show a bit late, I think the Pot was playing when I got to the stage. I met some girl at the Captain Morgan stage and we went to TOOL together. Song after song we made out and took breaks to clap and watch. It was ravenous. Besides being a little too drunk and not remembering every detail of the show, it was great.

It reminded me of a live recording I think from an Oz Fest, Ive heard, where Maynard tells the crowd to get naked and fuck.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #56
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

did you get the chicks numer? Or were you so drunk, that she was prolly a cow
"Ever heard of Jesus, or Buddha, or Christna, or Muhammad? Any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. Then there agents, started trying to make some money on em, and fucked everything up. Never trust an agent. This songs about those agents."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #57
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

you know whats funny, you joined almost 4 years ago, yet thats your 2nd post :D
"Ever heard of Jesus, or Buddha, or Christna, or Muhammad? Any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. Then there agents, started trying to make some money on em, and fucked everything up. Never trust an agent. This songs about those agents."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

A few choice lyrics can sum up my experience at street scene, they are as follows: "cause you're pushing me and i'm shoving you". I thought Tool was awesome as always and I cannot wait to see them in September. Hopefully they won't have to stop after the second song because the pushing and the trampling is too far out of control. As Maynard said, "it's only rock n' roll". But they are so awesome I guess some people just cannot help it. Hopefully i'll see some of you at Staples...until then, "look after your brothers and sisters!"
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: