opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 02. Eulogy
User Name
Password
Old 02-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Eulogy Meaning

I am not sure if anyone has posted about this, but I did a little bit of searching and couldn't find anything that was very comprehensive regarding the subject. A lot of people have different ideas about the meaning of Eulogy, but I think I have a pretty solid analysis.

I think that the song is about L. Ron Hubbard, a man who invented a cult called Scientology. From the limited amount of research I did, I found that Scientology essentially finds minions to join the religion that are at a weak point in their lives and want to find salvation in something. There are many ludicrous claims such as there are souls of dead aliens from millions of years ago in all people, causing us to be possessed and evil, and the only way to get rid of them is through Scientology classes that, coincidentally, are all very costly. However, the promises that Scientology guarantees are very hopeful and sound very nice, so the price may seem right to those in a weak state. It would make sense that Maynard and many others would frown upon these practices of exploiting people at their weakest. Now for analysis:

"He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him."

-These lines are fairly simple, Hubbard had a lot to say about his hokey religion, which is why he had "nothing to say." "We'll miss him" is probably sarcastic and just saying that we won't really miss him.

"So long.
We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.
Don't cry.
Or feel too down."

-These lines are basically saying how Hubbard promised that he would die for the cause, in a martyr-ish way, but he isn't actually doing it. If he isn't afraid to die, then so long, don't cry, just do it.

" Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried."

-Hubbard's religion never really reached it's fruition, as many find it to be hokey and full of falsehood. I think sarcasm underlies these lines as well.

"Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.
Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart.
We'll miss him."

-Somewhat of a repeat of earlier messages, with the addition of "ranting....heart," which is essentially saying that Hubbard would talk and point people in directions, but would never use his heart, as he may have been manipulating people and not using good intentions.

"No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me,
Like I care at all."

-Not too sure with these lines, however I would guess that it means that what Hubbard said had no real meaning and was bololgna, and extremely unimportant.

"So loud.
You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud."

-Hubbard was a very prominent figurehead for the religion, and talked a lot in a loud manner which made him more influencial and convincing. He took a stand on every issue so that followers would have a place to turn on every issue. (Note: I have not done too much research, so this analysis in this section and a few others is entirely speculative).

"Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me."

-My favorite part of the song, this is talking from the perspective of a follower who has been at a weak point in their life and wants something to identify with when they have no where else to turn. Clearly this is taking the stance that the whole idea of Scientology is a facade. However, followers are eager to identify with someone of higher ground, someone they look up to. That leader made the claim that he would die for his followers. This goes into the next lines very well:

"Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you fuckin lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you fuckin lie."

-He is asking whether the leader will really die for his subjects. And he wants a straight answer, no lies. At this point, he is realizing that the leader is lying, and follows with:

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?"

-If the leader is so willing to die, why is he surprised to hear a speech commending his death, which he should be expecting.

"Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified
For your sins and your lies.
Goodbye..."

-The leader is not ready to die for his people, he is a phony. He needs to get off of his cross (which I know has biblical references to Jesus, but I believe this is more of a metaphor for sacrifice than Jesus) since he is not ready to die. The next martyr needs to get on, one that is actually willing to die. The last little bit may be an attack at Hubbard himself, saying that he must be crucified for all of the wrong that he did.

Just a little analysis that a lot of people seemed to have skipped over. Also in the FAQ under this song it quotes Danny saying that the song is about Hubbard, which was my main inspiration for doing this research.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #2

Bincount™: 9
Re: Eulogy Meaning

It sounds plausible. But then again, I may be just in a weak state right now myself.

Don't do drugs.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

"your own eulogy"...To me, Maynard is hearing his own eulogy, as I do when I die. (not literally of course). Like in H. - "I have died, I will die, it's alright". To me, this song is totally introspective. It's about Maynard, as it is about me. If that makes any sense. To me, just about every Tool song is introspective. The words "you" and "he" always refer to Maynard or different parts of Maynard (For me at least).
Old 07-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I agree about the L. Ron Hubbard opinion. Even if it isn't what Maynard wrote it about, it works for me.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:07 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I've always thought this was a eulogy for Jesus. (I also thought it was pretty obvious until reading some of the opinions here.) Here's why I think it's for Jesus.

1. I believe many Tool songs begin with sounds that hint about their meaning. The beginning of Prison Sex sounds like a door opening. (The "releasing" of one's suppressed past experiences from a locked place. Or simply the opening of a prison door.) The beginning of Eulogy sounds like nails being hammered. (Jesus to a cross.) And the guitar could even be a saw. (The creation of a cross.)

2. "No way to recall What it was that you had said to me, Like I care at all."

A comment about reincarnation. Maynard has no way to recall what Jesus said to him 2000 years ago.

3. "He had a voice so strong and loud and I Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so Eager to identify with Someone above the ground, Someone who seemed to feel the same, Someone prepared to lead the way, with Someone who would die for me."

Another comment about existing during Jesus' time. A peasent/commoner in those days would look up towards anyone who was willing to take a stand, someone who would lead the way, and someone so commited to this they would die for them.

4. "You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?"

The only person capable of hearing their own eulogy would be Jesus. (I've always thought this part was funny. Almost conceding to belief. (but obviously not.))

5. "To ascend you must die. You must be crucified For your sins and your lies."

Jesus, as a human, was crucified for his lies about who he was and the problems he caused. (problems for the "man." The Roman Empire.) For him to not be human anymore, to become a god again, or God, to ascend, he must die as a human.

I think it's very important to pay attention to the past and present tenses in the verses to really grasp the meaning.

/too much bible school.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:18 AM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 4207

It about Bill_Hix.

....then God is not dead.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:38 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Bill Hicks had to die for his sins and his lies?

Maynard had no way to recall what it was that Bill Hicks had said to him?

Bill Hicks had a facade?

Bill Hicks is the last person the song is about.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:38 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Considering Maynard does not believe in Christianity, I doubt he would write a song about Jesus. I do think, however, that the song has metaphors about how Jesus died. "Get off your fucking cross, we need the fucking space to nail the next fool martyr." Just like symbolism. Not actually singing about Jesus.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:50 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

It's not like it's a nice eulogy. It's Maynard's way of pointing out how ridiculous Christianity is. (by writing a eulogy to the man who started it all.) There was a man named Jesus who lived 2000 years ago and claimed to be the son of God. Half the reason Christianity has been such an influence throughout history is because people are weak and unable to take a stand for themselves. (Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.) When a strong leader took a stand for the crowd, while claiming to be the son of an all powerful being, and being a martyr all at the same time, people loved him. The following he had was then written about and then twisted throughout the years to suit the purpose of religious leaders. (a very common Tool topic.)

And I'm sure Maynard "believes" (semantics point) in Christianity. (it's effects on the world are quite apparent.) Chances are he just doesn't believe in the omnipotent god that Christianity claims exists. And if he doesn't believe in this Christian God, he doesn't believe Jesus was the son of God. That's why a eulogy such as this to this man is really quite appropriate for Tool. (Or, maybe he really does believe in the omnipotent god that Christianity claims exists and his issue is with the religious leaders, which is obvious through Opiate and other things he's said. But I believe this Eulogy for Jesus proves otherwise.)

Another comment on the sounds at the beginning. Jesus was a carpenter. So that's another link to the sound of nails and a saw.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

I guess we'll agree to disagree. To me, Eulogy is a very powerful song, much more powerful than a song about Jesus (by the way, I'm not christian).
Old 01-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Its about Bill Hicks
Old 01-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

i remember reading in a magazine adam jones said that on Aenema they wrote two songs about Hicks, one obviously being third eye, and the second i suppose is this song

i know its about bil hicks, but this song sounds a little...i dont know how to really put it...mean...if this song is about bill hicks then mjk is saying he had alot of nothing to say, but i thought mjk really admired the guy ya know...so im confused...cuz to me eulogy is about someone who claimed something and in the end didnt stick with his end of the deal...

but as far as i know mjk and hicks had a good relationship, so the meaning confuses the fuck outta me
Old 01-29-2006, 05:01 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

He seems to be annoyed to see Hicks destroying himself for a cause which may be futile. that is "get of your fucking cross we need the fucking space to nail the next fool martyr" I dont know if mjk and hicks were good friends but it seems that the anger is born out out of care rather than hate or dissapointment. I think Hicks must have said something to MJK near his death which went against his previous convictions maybe out of fear and bitterness over his illness, whatever it was the details seem to be avoided, probably out of respect.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay
He seems to be annoyed to see Hicks destroying himself for a cause which may be futile. that is "get of your fucking cross we need the fucking space to nail the next fool martyr" I dont know if mjk and hicks were good friends but it seems that the anger is born out out of care rather than hate or dissapointment. I think Hicks must have said something to MJK near his death which went against his previous convictions maybe out of fear and bitterness over his illness, whatever it was the details seem to be avoided, probably out of respect.
From what I have heard, MJK *was* good friends with Hicks, and greatly respected him.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

"This next song...its about martyrs..." MJK
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 751

i agree with that. the song could be about and including everyone. regardless, i think Eulogy is the most beutiful song i have ever heard. I dont know what Maynard believes in, but from the music he writes i think he has something against all kinds of religion especially Christianity, but he is not an atheist and he actually does believe in some kind of creator. he probably believes it is futile to worship anything in a human way because no one knows what the end is really like and everything can be completely incoherent in human terms. he doesnt like how people live blindly and he wants everyone to just have their own ideas.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyisevil
i remember reading in a magazine adam jones said that on Aenema they wrote two songs about Hicks, one obviously being third eye, and the second i suppose is this song

i know its about bil hicks, but this song sounds a little...i dont know how to really put it...mean...if this song is about bill hicks then mjk is saying he had alot of nothing to say, but i thought mjk really admired the guy ya know...so im confused...cuz to me eulogy is about someone who claimed something and in the end didnt stick with his end of the deal...

but as far as i know mjk and hicks had a good relationship, so the meaning confuses the fuck outta me
the anger may be from Maynard writing the song from a different person's view...well remember "the outsider" from APC is from someone watching the person lose control...about the same kinda deal
Old 01-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Since I like digging up old subjects and I was just thinking about this, I thought maybe I would not read all the comments because there are too many and I'm lazy.
But my thought is that it isn't specifically about any one person. I mean, L. Ron Hubbard is mentioned in another song and all his clones. So while it's possible he was the inspiration. Like many artists, let's just assume the songs are meant to be interpreted by different people. I'm not going to get petty and say it's about Christ. That would be too obvious and unimaginative. Rather, it's about every "false" Christ out there -- the narcissists, the money grabbers who get rich off putting themselves up for some symbol or savior. This probably applies to all leaders who don't put themselves out there or lead from the front or by example. Instead, they simply set themselves up with a facade of one who can solve all their problems.
Personally, now it gets me thinking of Trump. I really hope they lock him up and throw away the key. This song would be a perfect eulogy for him.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:53 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Don’t we all know someone who fits this description? And yes, it got me thinking of Trump as well

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: