Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 07. Lost Keys
User Name
Password
MarcDrums's Avatar MarcDrums
05-17-2006, 10:58 AM

considering he is australian, and watson is a very australian name.. i think thats what he's saying
Old 05-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Dr. Watson

considering he is australian, and watson is a very australian name.. i think thats what he's saying
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 05-24-2007 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217
Re: Dr. Watson

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 05-24-2007 at 11:22 AM..
the usual's Avatar the usual
05-24-2007, 01:19 PM

The story of the "Hundredth Monkey Effect" apparently originated with Lyall Watson in his 1979 book Lifetide. In it he claimed to describe the observations of scientists studying macaques (a type of monkey) on the Japanese island of Koshima in 1952. Some of these monkeys learned to wash sweet potatoes, and gradually this new behavior spread through the younger generation of monkeys—in the usual fashion, through observation and repetition. However, Watson claimed that the researchers observed that once a critical number of monkeys was reached—the so-called hundredth monkey—this previously learned behaviour instantly spread across the water to monkeys on nearby islands.

This story was further popularized by Ken Keyes Jr with the publication of his book The Hundredth Monkey. Keyes presented the "Hundredth Monkey Effect" story as an inspirational parable, applying it to human society and the effecting of (positive) change therein. Since then, the story has become widely accepted as fact, and has even appeared in books written by some educators.

The content of the book by Keyes was a substantive treatise on the effects of nuclear
__________________________________________________ _______________________
war on the planet and the devastation caused thereon.
An example of the effect Keyes was seeking is captured in some degree by a two-month prospective experiment and study to reduce violent crime in Washington DC in 1993. Based on the results of the experiment, the steady state gain (long-term effect) associated with a permanent group of 4,000 participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs was calculated as a 48% reduction in violent crimes in the District of Columbia. More can be found here: http://www.istpp.org/crime_prevention/, and many other places on the web. It is seen by many as a prime example of confusing correlation with causation.

Rupert Sheldrake has cited the "Hundredth Monkey Effect" as evidence of morphogenetic fields bringing about non-local effects in consciousness and learning.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

The story of the "Hundredth Monkey Effect" apparently originated with Lyall Watson in his 1979 book Lifetide. In it he claimed to describe the observations of scientists studying macaques (a type of monkey) on the Japanese island of Koshima in 1952. Some of these monkeys learned to wash sweet potatoes, and gradually this new behavior spread through the younger generation of monkeys—in the usual fashion, through observation and repetition. However, Watson claimed that the researchers observed that once a critical number of monkeys was reached—the so-called hundredth monkey—this previously learned behaviour instantly spread across the water to monkeys on nearby islands.

This story was further popularized by Ken Keyes Jr with the publication of his book The Hundredth Monkey. Keyes presented the "Hundredth Monkey Effect" story as an inspirational parable, applying it to human society and the effecting of (positive) change therein. Since then, the story has become widely accepted as fact, and has even appeared in books written by some educators.

The content of the book by Keyes was a substantive treatise on the effects of nuclear
__________________________________________________ _______________________
war on the planet and the devastation caused thereon.
An example of the effect Keyes was seeking is captured in some degree by a two-month prospective experiment and study to reduce violent crime in Washington DC in 1993. Based on the results of the experiment, the steady state gain (long-term effect) associated with a permanent group of 4,000 participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs was calculated as a 48% reduction in violent crimes in the District of Columbia. More can be found here: http://www.istpp.org/crime_prevention/, and many other places on the web. It is seen by many as a prime example of confusing correlation with causation.

Rupert Sheldrake has cited the "Hundredth Monkey Effect" as evidence of morphogenetic fields bringing about non-local effects in consciousness and learning.
the usual's Avatar the usual
05-26-2007, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the link.
Interesting stuff!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Thanks for the link.
Interesting stuff!
07-19-2007, 11:00 AM

^that might've been the warning side of the message.
(see: rosetta stoned)

here's how i perceive the hope side of the message:

"i'm doctor watson"("lost keys" ...and "blame": doctor albert hoffman), "doctor, help me!" ("schism" dvd commentary), bill hicks as a doctor (album liners of "aenima"), "dead as dead can be, the doctor tells me" (passive), "calling dr.love" (a kiss cover).

Q: so, what could 'doctor' be symbolizing?
my guess: the pineal gland (third eye)

it's a female/right-hemisphere (feeling) identifying the male/left-hemisphere (need-to-know): "no obvious physical trauma, vitals are stable", "no ID*, nothing, and he won't speak to anybody". basically, the patient is primed to become loved by the nurse (check that apc track once more) ...they're become one, the causes, initiate the third eye to complete the triad.

-_-

write soon!

* i guess he crucified his ego ;)

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 07-19-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

^that might've been the warning side of the message.
(see: rosetta stoned)

here's how i perceive the hope side of the message:

"i'm doctor watson"("lost keys" ...and "blame": doctor albert hoffman), "doctor, help me!" ("schism" dvd commentary), bill hicks as a doctor (album liners of "aenima"), "dead as dead can be, the doctor tells me" (passive), "calling dr.love" (a kiss cover).

Q: so, what could 'doctor' be symbolizing?
my guess: the pineal gland (third eye)

it's a female/right-hemisphere (feeling) identifying the male/left-hemisphere (need-to-know): "no obvious physical trauma, vitals are stable", "no ID*, nothing, and he won't speak to anybody". basically, the patient is primed to become loved by the nurse (check that apc track once more) ...they're become one, the causes, initiate the third eye to complete the triad.

-_-

write soon!

* i guess he crucified his ego ;)

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 07-19-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Chris_Brightwell's Avatar Chris_Brightwell
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDrums View Post
considering he is australian, and watson is a very australian name...
Justin is English. Not Australian.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
considering he is australian, and watson is a very australian name...
Justin is English. Not Australian.
07-19-2007, 11:37 AM

i'm glad i bumped this thread for that...

anyone else?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

i'm glad i bumped this thread for that...

anyone else?
07-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Hmmm....There seems to be alot of orchestrated mystery in this album. Wiki search on Dr. Watson (from the Sherlock Holmes Series) turned this up.

Watson also serves the important function of catalyst for Holmes's mental processes. [...] From the writer's point of view, Conan Doyle knew the importance of having someone to whom the detective can make enigmatic remarks, a consciousness that's privy to facts in the case without being in on the conclusions drawn from them until the proper time. Any character who performs these functions in a mystery story has come to be known as a "Watson."

oh yeah, and

Holmes is not at all a stuffy straight-laced Victorian gentleman as one might think; in fact, he describes himself and his habits as "Bohemian". Modern readers of the Holmes stories are apt to be surprised that he was an occasional user (a habitual user when lacking in stimulating cases) of cocaine and morphine, though Watson describes this as Holmes' "only vice". In his personal habits, he is very disorganized, as Watson notes in "The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual", leaving everything from notes from past cases to remains of chemical experiments scattered around their rooms.

Just a vague similiarity I guess. I am sure it is bullshif
Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Hmmm....There seems to be alot of orchestrated mystery in this album. Wiki search on Dr. Watson (from the Sherlock Holmes Series) turned this up.

Watson also serves the important function of catalyst for Holmes's mental processes. [...] From the writer's point of view, Conan Doyle knew the importance of having someone to whom the detective can make enigmatic remarks, a consciousness that's privy to facts in the case without being in on the conclusions drawn from them until the proper time. Any character who performs these functions in a mystery story has come to be known as a "Watson."

oh yeah, and

Holmes is not at all a stuffy straight-laced Victorian gentleman as one might think; in fact, he describes himself and his habits as "Bohemian". Modern readers of the Holmes stories are apt to be surprised that he was an occasional user (a habitual user when lacking in stimulating cases) of cocaine and morphine, though Watson describes this as Holmes' "only vice". In his personal habits, he is very disorganized, as Watson notes in "The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual", leaving everything from notes from past cases to remains of chemical experiments scattered around their rooms.

Just a vague similiarity I guess. I am sure it is bullshif
07-22-2007, 03:56 PM

That 'hundredth monkey' phenomenon is made up. "The "Hundredth Monkey Effect" is a supposed phenomenon in which a learned behaviour spreads instantaneously from one group of monkeys to all related monkeys once a critical number was reached. The story behind this supposed phenomenon originated with Lyall Watson, who claimed that it was the observation of Japanese scientists. Such an observation did not actually exist (e.g. Myers 1985, Amundsen 1985, 1991)."
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

That 'hundredth monkey' phenomenon is made up. "The "Hundredth Monkey Effect" is a supposed phenomenon in which a learned behaviour spreads instantaneously from one group of monkeys to all related monkeys once a critical number was reached. The story behind this supposed phenomenon originated with Lyall Watson, who claimed that it was the observation of Japanese scientists. Such an observation did not actually exist (e.g. Myers 1985, Amundsen 1985, 1991)."
07-25-2007, 03:58 PM

i think i heard that at one point or another as well.
i was just throwing it out there...

:X shuts his fuckin' mouth :X
Old 07-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

i think i heard that at one point or another as well.
i was just throwing it out there...

:X shuts his fuckin' mouth :X
01-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Hes voiced by Pete Reidling. He's their tour manager I think. Or was
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Hes voiced by Pete Reidling. He's their tour manager I think. Or was
01-18-2013, 09:34 PM

I think Blair confirmed that it was Justin and Camella on this track.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

03-08-2015, 12:48 PM

They are obsessed with certain symbols, like doctors and such. It's just repetition of their obsessions that makes it seem like they are linked. They don't have any premeditated conceptual continuity. They just keep going to the river and bringing back fish because they catch them. Same with their art. They like certain things and it gets repeated and then strung together. It's not as well thought out as we would like to believe. Just go see them in concert. It's a routine. Nothing special. They don't connect with audience. They don't have an overall story to tell. Its just a bunch of stand alone pieces (albeit amazing ones) glued together with ambient noises. The fact that there is so much reading in, is proof enough that nothing's there.

Last edited by DogStar_OG; 03-08-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Old 03-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
Banned.

They are obsessed with certain symbols, like doctors and such. It's just repetition of their obsessions that makes it seem like they are linked. They don't have any premeditated conceptual continuity. They just keep going to the river and bringing back fish because they catch them. Same with their art. They like certain things and it gets repeated and then strung together. It's not as well thought out as we would like to believe. Just go see them in concert. It's a routine. Nothing special. They don't connect with audience. They don't have an overall story to tell. Its just a bunch of stand alone pieces (albeit amazing ones) glued together with ambient noises. The fact that there is so much reading in, is proof enough that nothing's there.

Last edited by DogStar_OG; 03-08-2015 at 12:52 PM..
DogStar_OG
03-08-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
I think I remember that too.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #14
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
I think I remember that too.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply