opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 13. Ænema
User Name
Password
Old 11-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
L Ron Hubbard

Can someone try to explain to me what the reason for Tool's hatred towards L ron hubbard? I know you cant know for sure since you are not MJK but your opinions would be helpful.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:03 AM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

One of Tool's predominant messages is "Think for yourself." L. Ron Hubbard brainwashes people. Once Tool played a show in which the audience was mostly members of L. Ron Hubbard's group; and Maynard played Opiate and kept making sheep noises. I have an mp3 of it; it's kind of amusing.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:18 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Sciencetology

I had read some time ago that TOOL had a run in with some Sciencetologists. Can anyone elaborate?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:36 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Sciencetology

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_oder
I had read some time ago that TOOL had a run in with some Sciencetologists. Can anyone elaborate?
Yes, I read in an article once that outside of one of the places Tool did a concert Scientologists were passing out pamphlets to people and there was just a hounding amount of people who were Scientologists in the audience. Why Tool has beef w/ L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology is because Scientology is the theory that you will find true happiness if you stay away from society and pretty much keep to yourself and other Scientologists. But also, when you join Scientology, you have to give a certain amount of money to them, kind of like the Catholic church except a bigger amount is given and also, after Hubbard died, Scientologists scamed many people and commited fraud and basically took bunches of money from members. Also, I have a friend who went to University of Texas and there's a Church of Scientology very close to the school. He told me that back when he was in college, if you walked by the place, people would be like "Join scientology and you'll get all A's." Ignorant bastards.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:25 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

"Do you wonder why others have the power to make you unhappy?"

Yeah, it's pretty simple to see why a band that's big on the "all indians, no chiefs" theory would hate L. Ron Hubbard. Scientology is actually suppose to be a religion and Dynatics (the book L. Ron Hubbard wrote) is the bible for it. This is why I think Eulogy is about him. He played the role of a new Jesus Christ. Forget everything you've learned, I HAVE THE ANSWERS! I was just reading about how they tried to get a bunch of tax right offs for pews and various church equipment. The government said something to the effect that they are not recognized as an official church and so there was a big legal issue and settlement. Interesting. Sound familiar? "We both want to rape youuuuuuuuu!"
Old 07-11-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Sciencetology

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsumafutant View Post
outside of one of the places Tool did a concert Scientologists were passing out pamphlets to people
It was in April 1993, in the Garden Pavilion of Los Angeles. Maynard made a comment against the sect and shouted like a sheep.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: L Ron Hubbard

"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and Fuck all his clones!" He's just a brainwashing SOB who makes money by changing peoples thoughts to suck money out of them. The sad part is people like John Travolta and Tom Cruise still throw money at that asshole. As for the sheep incident. That is quite classic, I wish I coulda witnessed it..."Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits." Tool wants you to make decisions and think for yourself. To have your own beliefs not be told what to believe. The body AND the mind.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
On Probation

Bincount™: 155

Celebrities who are part of Scientology get an easier ride and are well treated compared to its normal members. I get really angry when I think of mindless Scientologists. Then I think of mindless consumers and I am reminded that there are many evils in this world. If you think of some of the states of suffering that people live in, fear and loneliness, etc. It easier to see why Scientology is something people join. You get to hang round with many like minded people, something that alot of people don't get to experience. Collective identity is something hotly pursued by so many. To stick with the album's theme, Jung called collective identities "crutches for the lame", "shields for the timid" and "beds for the lazy". We're all a little timid, lazy or lame, but there's no need to throw it all away. Or flush it away.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasknight View Post
If you think of some of the states of suffering that people live in, fear and loneliness, etc. It easier to see why Scientology is something people join. You get to hang round with many like minded people, something that alot of people don't get to experience. Collective identity is something hotly pursued by so many.
For the most part, this is exactly the same reason young kids join a gang. It's an innate want and need for people to want to feel that they "belong" and are "accepted". You need to feel connected to something or someone to bring yourself some identity, sadly this is the false ego and that's exactly what Tool's main message is when they say to "crucify the ego" and to "think for yourself".
Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

During a 1993 show at the Church of Scientology’s Celebrity Centre in Los Angeles, Keenan (who would later write the lyrics "Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones" in "Ænema") bleated like a sheep for a good portion of the show. "Before our set this guy tries to intimidate me by showing me a gun in his jacket," Keenan recalled. "I explained to him that if he pissed me off I’d start a riot."

Dolan, Jon (August 2006). "33 Things You Should Know About Tool". Blender. http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=2002. Retrieved February 11, 2008.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koby d View Post
Can someone try to explain to me what the reason for Tool's hatred towards L ron hubbard?
The song is clearly taking a shot at the whole LA area culture or at least the superficial aspects of that culture. Haven't been there myself but I imagine there is more than one celebrity in that area who believes in Scientology.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

celebrities, whether they believe Scientology or not, get a cut of the pie. don't be so blind

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: